Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

That critic was right Carey Mulligan is too ugly for Promising Young Woman

Why'd Margot Robie not do the role?

by Anonymousreply 118May 21, 2021 7:31 PM

Who could ever be as alluring, striking, memorable and SEXUAL as you, St Viola? Carey did the best she could but you would have blown us all away with your take on the role by demanding full frontal nudity in multiple scenes to present the authentic experience of a SEXUAL older woman.

by Anonymousreply 1April 4, 2021 8:54 AM

This thread is embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 2April 4, 2021 9:25 AM

embarrassing? To who?

by Anonymousreply 3April 5, 2021 4:00 AM

"To who?"

Oh, dear. Probably to your English teacher.

by Anonymousreply 4April 5, 2021 4:21 AM

It's enbarrassing when fat, ugly people call normal-looking people ugly, doubly embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 5April 5, 2021 4:23 AM

Sounds like you really needed to get that off your chest, huh?

by Anonymousreply 6April 5, 2021 4:30 AM

And Andra Day is too trampy in her film. Don't vote for her either.

by Anonymousreply 7April 5, 2021 4:35 AM

and Frances is too crabby. That bitch would cut you. I'm the only alternative (except that other girl that no one has ever heard of.)

by Anonymousreply 8April 5, 2021 4:40 AM

That ship sailed a long time ago. She got beat with the ugly stick over 10 years ago in An Education

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 5, 2021 4:48 AM

Viola at R7, you are just jealous of Andra's youth, beauty, sex appeal and light skin. We'll take trampy any day over greasy. You looked so damn oily in MRBB they could have used you to deep fry an entire shark.

by Anonymousreply 10April 5, 2021 2:09 PM

See!!! Look what r10 said about me!!! That's what they said at Julliard!!! I've suffered the most!!! I should win!! I should get Best Actor too!!! Chadwick is dead what does he need an award for!!!

by Anonymousreply 11April 5, 2021 9:17 PM

Carey Mulligan is cute. I was surprised at how she looks in PYW; they did hottify her.

by Anonymousreply 12April 5, 2021 9:21 PM

Yeah, agree, R12.

Carey was/is terrific.

Definitely Oscar worthy.

Like Viola, but this time around, she did NOT cut the mustard.

by Anonymousreply 13April 5, 2021 9:58 PM

I thought she was hot in many of her scenes too. Fuck the OP.

by Anonymousreply 14April 6, 2021 12:33 AM

How dare you say fuck the op r14!!! I have 2 Tonys, 2 Emmys and and Oscar!!! What have you ever done!!!!

by Anonymousreply 15April 6, 2021 4:44 AM

This movie was a C movie at best. Lipstick on a pig.

by Anonymousreply 16April 6, 2021 5:09 AM

I created the dark web, r15.

You're in trouble.

by Anonymousreply 17April 6, 2021 5:36 PM

She's supposed to be attractive but not necessarily a bombshell. Just really drunk and out of it to appear to be an easy mark.

by Anonymousreply 18April 6, 2021 5:53 PM

[quote] I created the dark web, [R15].

The "dark" web? If that is a dig at my dark skin, let me tell you that I own my dark chocolate beauty, sexuality and sensuality, bitch! I am the dark chocolate queen and this year's Oscar winner, so you can weep yourself to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 19April 6, 2021 6:26 PM

Riz Ahmed deserves the Oscar more.

by Anonymousreply 20April 6, 2021 7:29 PM

Nobody rang for you OP.

NO

ONE

by Anonymousreply 21April 6, 2021 7:31 PM

Viola should have gone Lead for Fences and Supporting for The Help

by Anonymousreply 22April 6, 2021 7:37 PM

None of the men in the movie were panty droppers.

You are forgetting how fucking dumb straight men are. Do you really think it takes a beauty queen to manipulate straight men? Pussy moves mountains, fool.

by Anonymousreply 23April 6, 2021 9:03 PM

Poor Viola.

by Anonymousreply 24April 6, 2021 9:03 PM

Never mind about Carey. She's done. I need to somehow get Andra Day cancelled.

BTW have you heard that she made anti-semetic and homophobic remarks on her old twitter account? Not saying that should deny her the Oscar but....something to think about.

by Anonymousreply 25April 6, 2021 9:11 PM

Anyone else sick of the “all straight men are evil” bullshit Hollywood is currently trying to promulgate?

by Anonymousreply 26April 6, 2021 9:16 PM

Which films r26? (I don't see many)

by Anonymousreply 27April 6, 2021 9:17 PM

R26 No.

by Anonymousreply 28April 6, 2021 9:24 PM

Re: Carey Mulligan's looks: She looked a little weird but still pretty in that old timey movie where she sang nicely and the guy from Masters of Sex was trying to get with her. She looked very beautiful in the Great Gatsby. That is a beautiful movie, even though the book does nothing for me. She is generally prettyish in the clips I've seen from PYW.

by Anonymousreply 29April 6, 2021 9:26 PM

Oh and Frances McDormand beat her son.

by Anonymousreply 30April 6, 2021 9:28 PM

I think point was that a mousy, unassuming girl can get into sticky situations and then manipulated men into sticky situations, because mousy girls are messed up in the head.

by Anonymousreply 31April 6, 2021 9:50 PM

Why is Viola on here bitching? We don't have a vote honey and Meryl deserved to win over you

by Anonymousreply 32April 6, 2021 9:55 PM

This Viola shit is so deeply unfunny.

by Anonymousreply 33April 8, 2021 5:26 AM

I'm surprised at this thread. I think she's gorgeous and has an interesting look. She looked great in Promising Young Woman. And I agree with R29 - she looked quite beautiful in The Great Gatsby.

by Anonymousreply 34April 8, 2021 6:46 AM

Troll thread, ugh. OP is shit.

by Anonymousreply 35April 8, 2021 4:51 PM

It's not that she's ugly but that she's too old. The character has her 30th birthday party in the movie. Carey was born in 1985. And she's photographed rather harshly in the movie.

And the massive bitterness of her character does nothing to soften her look.

by Anonymousreply 36April 8, 2021 5:03 PM

Surely this is a role for a young actress. Her going out and trapping guys surely wouldn't continue YEARS after the event that caused her fury?

by Anonymousreply 37April 8, 2021 5:37 PM

I just saw the film last night and hated it. The misandry is palpable, and ugly. Why is no one saying this?

by Anonymousreply 38April 8, 2021 5:42 PM

Male Lives Matter!

by Anonymousreply 39April 8, 2021 5:44 PM

Rapist Lives Matter!

by Anonymousreply 40April 8, 2021 6:07 PM

Pedophile Lives Matter!

by Anonymousreply 41April 8, 2021 6:10 PM

Didn't the black guy she tried to pick up in the film even comment on her not even being that hot when he realized who she was?

by Anonymousreply 42April 8, 2021 11:08 PM

[quote]It's not that she's ugly but that she's too old. The character has her 30th birthday party in the movie. Carey was born in 1985. And she's photographed rather harshly in the movie.

This. I had initially been on the train condemning the critic, but I get it now. It's not about her hotness level, it's that she seems WAY too old for the role. Mulligan has always looked older than she is but she could easily pass for being in her forties in this film and it's just incongruous, it doesn't fit, especially with all the pink girly frou-frou stuff. Most of the guys in the film look noticeably younger than her.

by Anonymousreply 43April 12, 2021 11:57 AM

Because at the end of day, there is a lot of truth to the movie, R38.

by Anonymousreply 44April 12, 2021 3:40 PM

Carey Mulligan did a great job, but she looked too old for the part. Much older looking than the men she was with.

by Anonymousreply 45April 18, 2021 7:14 PM

I'm not understanding all the negativity!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46April 18, 2021 7:32 PM

I like the ending with the texts and the "Angel Of The Morning" tune.

by Anonymousreply 47April 18, 2021 8:09 PM

Mulligan didn't look too old for the men in the film except Bo Burnham, and though he's 30, he looks younger. That they would be contemporaries was not credible. But after a bit it didn't bother me as the two of them played off each other so well.

Most women are not Margot Robbie-level beautiful, so to expect this character to be is silly. It's better IMO if she isn't a 10. Mulligan's looks are just fine.

by Anonymousreply 48April 18, 2021 8:21 PM

You would have thought this kinda movie would been right up Jennifer Lawrence's Street. Shows she doesn't have that much clout these days.

by Anonymousreply 49April 18, 2021 8:31 PM

I could have brought such NUANCE to this role!

by Anonymousreply 50April 19, 2021 3:04 AM

"I think point was that a mousy, unassuming girl can get into sticky situations and then manipulated men into sticky situations, because mousy girls are messed up in the head."

Men who take advantage of women they see as easy targets aren't being "manipulated".

by Anonymousreply 51April 19, 2021 3:18 AM

I thought Mulligan was better in The Dig. Loved that movie. Ralph Fiennes should have been nominated.

by Anonymousreply 52April 19, 2021 3:22 AM

I was agog at the ending.

by Anonymousreply 53April 19, 2021 6:39 PM

The critic needs to read up on Kellen Winslow II and the women he targeted.

by Anonymousreply 54April 23, 2021 3:04 AM

I'll take by my snark at Carey, now I've seen the movie. She was terrific and if she wins the Oscar it will be well deserved. Liked that the ending was unexpected and not everything was neatly wrapped up.

by Anonymousreply 55April 24, 2021 5:56 AM

A doctor would not pursue a relationship with a 30 yo college drop out barista who lives with her parents.

by Anonymousreply 56April 24, 2021 6:09 AM

R30 This Hits close to home!

by Anonymousreply 57April 24, 2021 6:41 AM

I would think that murderous nurses would be too close to home for GermanGayGuy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58April 24, 2021 5:55 PM

She was never on my radar until she started MeToo'ing everybody because a fucking critic wrote what movie critics write. She claims to be all feminist and strong and shit, but crumbled over a review stating that she didn't have the right look for the part.

I have a special, deep disdain for Brits who seem to perpetually dwell in America, seemingly for no valid reason at all, and can live here their entire lives, they live off American jobs and sanctimoniously finger-wag the rest of us on our flaws and weaknesses.

If there's any justice, she WILL NOT win, and by this time on Monday will be consumed with reliving and regret over showing her ass and attempting to bully her way to getting an Academy Award. And then I hope she's kicked outta the country.

by Anonymousreply 59April 24, 2021 6:46 PM

I really enjoyed the film, I just wish she didn't have to die.

by Anonymousreply 60April 25, 2021 2:20 AM

I'm still not sure who won the victim battle between her and Viola.

by Anonymousreply 61April 25, 2021 2:28 AM

The character was on a suicide mission.

by Anonymousreply 62April 25, 2021 2:30 AM

I think it was safe to say Cassie was beyond repair. R62 has it right. She had to know that shit was gonna catch up to her. Adding those kinds of notches on a headboard or in this case a notebook, is never gonna end well.

by Anonymousreply 63April 25, 2021 2:33 AM

There is something ANNOYING about her, the same way I don't like Anne Hathaway.

by Anonymousreply 64April 25, 2021 2:38 AM

Because Kenneth Branagh.

When she was 16, she attended a production of Henry V starring Kenneth Branagh. His performance emboldened her and reinforced her belief that she wanted to pursue a career in acting. She wrote a letter to Branagh asking him for advice. "I explained that my parents didn't want me to act, but that I felt it was my vocation in life," she said. Branagh's sister replied: "Kenneth says that if you feel such a strong need to be an actress, you must be an actress."

by Anonymousreply 65April 25, 2021 2:40 AM

I think is outrageous that this broad is attacking a critic who pointed out that she wasn’t enough of a sex bomb for the role. I have never heard of anyone saying oh yeah, I am gorgeous and you are fired before. Who is this twat?

by Anonymousreply 66April 25, 2021 2:47 AM

The critic is wrong. The character is attractive to predators because she is sloppy drunk and vulnerable not because she looks like Pam Anderson circa 1994.

by Anonymousreply 67April 25, 2021 2:53 AM

[quote]A doctor would not pursue a relationship with a 30 yo college drop out barista who lives with her parents.

I thought that part was a bit weird. But, when I first saw the movie I wonder if Emerald Fennell wrote the character of Ryan as one of those people who is intelligent, but also awkward in other ways. He made corny stupid jokes and seemed kind of Aspie in some scenes.

by Anonymousreply 68April 25, 2021 2:56 AM

A lot of things needed to go exactly right for her "plan" to work out the way it did.

by Anonymousreply 69April 25, 2021 2:59 AM

Drs don't even date nurses, least of all a barista. The Dr pursuing Cassie was the way the plot got her closer to her big kill. The big kill was dating a swimsuit model.

by Anonymousreply 70April 25, 2021 3:03 AM

[quote]The critic is wrong. The character is attractive to predators because she is sloppy drunk and vulnerable not because she looks like Pam Anderson circa 1994.

Yeah, the critic missed that point. Not all sex crime victims are attractive model types. Some predators target women who are vulnerable due to being drunk in clubs and bars. Then you get the sickos who break into homes to rape women who are elderly or live alone.

by Anonymousreply 71April 25, 2021 3:05 AM

I didn't find it as odd because I got the impression the character knew her from medical school and knew her to be quite bright and obviously going through some shit to be working in a coffee shop.

by Anonymousreply 72April 25, 2021 3:06 AM

R72 except he showed his true colors near the end when he told her she was a failure by dropping out of medical school.

by Anonymousreply 73April 25, 2021 3:12 AM

I think a nice touch to the ending would have been the detective noticing Ryan being at the wedding and then Ryan would really know that's he fucked.

by Anonymousreply 74April 25, 2021 3:19 AM

I had low expectations but I loved it. Carey was perfect in this role, and I empathised in such a strange way with her character.

This film is truly original, beautifully shot, and devastating.

by Anonymousreply 75April 25, 2021 3:26 AM

Carey won the Spirit Award

by Anonymousreply 76April 25, 2021 4:06 AM

He didn't say she was too ugly; he said someone like Margot Robbie, who produced the movie, is someone most viewers would expect in a role like this, instead of someone not known for overtly "sexy" roles where it seems like more of an effort (which is the point of the character):

"Mulligan, a fine actress, seems a bit of an odd choice as this admittedly many-layered apparent femme fatale — Margot Robbie is a producer here, and one can (perhaps too easily) imagine the role might once have been intended for her. Whereas with this star, Cassie wears her pickup-bait gear like bad drag; even her long blonde hair seems a put-on. The flat American accent she delivers in her lowest voice register likewise seems a bit meta, though it’s not quite clear what the quote marks around this performance signify. Still, like everything here, this turn is skillful, entertaining and challenging, even when the eccentric method obscures the precise message."

The amazing, and hypocritical, thing about this whole "controversy" is that Robbie herself made the exact same comment in a Hollywood Reporter interview in February, completely validating the critic's opinion.

"Robbie, who was now on board as a producer, might have seemed like the obvious choice, which is exactly why she and Fennell never even considered it. "The most delightful thing about Promising Young Woman is that it takes you by surprise, and I just felt like I wouldn't be that surprising — me doing these kinds of things with people's perception of who I am and the characters that I've played," Robbie recently told THR. "Carey Mulligan, however, is an actress that has this air of prestige around her. Throw her in Promising Young Woman and people's minds get blown.""

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77April 25, 2021 4:41 AM

People you do realize this was a Viola complaining troll thread. Can't believe it went on this long!

by Anonymousreply 78April 25, 2021 4:47 AM

Mulligan played a 30 year old woman in PYW, she looked the part. Carey is an attractive woman.

Margot's looks are overrated, she's very attractive, but a typical blonde.

Mulligan will win the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 79April 25, 2021 5:21 AM

I swear I thought Mulligan was 40. She was amazing in the role but looked too old. That neck!

by Anonymousreply 80April 25, 2021 12:22 PM

The ONLY movie I liked her in was An Education. Even though I liked that movie there was something SMUG and KNOW IT ALL about her character.

by Anonymousreply 81April 25, 2021 12:24 PM

You have weirdos who want to be findommed over twitter in exchange for nothing but feet pics.

Sexual predator types aren't interested in playing by social rules and showing off trophy arm candy.

by Anonymousreply 82April 25, 2021 2:05 PM

R81 Her character was intended to be that way because she was naive and trying to deal with the overbearing father who didn't let her have own interests.

by Anonymousreply 83April 25, 2021 2:08 PM

This film would not have been on my radar if Robbie were the star, not that interested in her. I'm an average moviegoer, not cerebral in the least. I never asked why the lead isn't smoking hot. This is not about being hot, it's about predators looking for a target.

by Anonymousreply 84April 25, 2021 3:05 PM

I still think Davis will win because of the current social climate. She also won the SAG and arent actors the largest voting branch? I was more impressed with Mulligan's performance though.

by Anonymousreply 85April 25, 2021 3:16 PM

R85 Yeah, I think that will happen and it will be a shame because Viola's movie was average at best.

by Anonymousreply 86April 25, 2021 3:28 PM

OP the point is this could happen to any average looking white chick

by Anonymousreply 87April 25, 2021 3:30 PM

Davis has been around forever. She has put in time and effort to achieve the success she now has. People are bring really weird about her.

by Anonymousreply 88April 25, 2021 3:33 PM

The movie was entertaining and interesting. But Carey's accent was off. Americans do not speak like that.

by Anonymousreply 89April 25, 2021 3:51 PM

As an american I didnt notice an off accent. I guess she enunciated certain words in an odd way?

by Anonymousreply 90April 25, 2021 3:55 PM

The accent Mulligan used didn't sound like a general American type accent. But, I didn't find it irritating or anything. There are some regions/parts of the US where the regional accents are awful to hear and Mulligan's accent in PYW is pleasant to hear. compared to those accents I live in New Mexico and my god the accents here are atrocious and many people also have poor diction.

by Anonymousreply 91April 25, 2021 4:25 PM

Whaash wong wid my axxent, bitch??

by Anonymousreply 92April 25, 2021 4:45 PM

I just watched this and had a mixed reaction to it. There are a lot of things going on, and it at times felt far too hamfisted. The rapist jock bros and their bachelor party at the end rang caricature-ish to me, but maybe that's just because I'm not a straight bro and I've never been to a straight bro bachelor party. The acting was also inconsistent throughout, albeit from Mulligan, who held her own. Even still, the dialogue at times felt contrived. I think that, ultimately, the most interesting aspect of the film was the lead character's attachment to the trauma of losing her friend, and her self-destructive obsession with finding some twisted form of justice. It's a grim story that ultimately wraps itself up with a heavy dose of convenient poetic justice. Nobody wins—which is fine, I suppose—but, all things considered, the bottom line for me was a narrative about someone letting their grief literally obliterate them, which is rather sad (and perhaps that's the point).

by Anonymousreply 93May 9, 2021 7:24 AM

R90 / R91 I agree. Her American accent, though generally fine, had that clipped British quality about it that sounded a bit off to me. It was enough to be noticeable, but not enough to be bothersome.

by Anonymousreply 94May 9, 2021 7:28 AM

“"Mulligan, a fine actress, seems a bit of an odd choice as this admittedly many-layered apparent femme fatale — Margot Robbie is a producer here, and one can (perhaps too easily) imagine the role might once have been intended for her.”

Her character in this movie wasn’t a “femme fatale”. Sounds like this “critic” doesn’t understand a lot about movies beyond the traditional finger wagging and nagging about how actresses need to be “hot”.

by Anonymousreply 95May 9, 2021 3:43 PM

I eat piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles and piles AND PILES! of shit.

by Anonymousreply 96May 9, 2021 3:46 PM

r95, sounds like you have reading comprehension issues.

Not to mention, placing "critic" in quotes to attempt to diminish someone whose actual professional title is "Film Critic" per Variety itself makes you look even stupider.

by Anonymousreply 97May 9, 2021 8:05 PM

Did Mulligan have a dialect coach on set? i always my dialect coach on every project.

by Anonymousreply 98May 9, 2021 8:50 PM

I don’t believe Mulligan attacked the critic, the readers did. Mulligan was interviewed on CBS Sunday Morning and she said that she accepted the reviewer’s apology.

by Anonymousreply 99May 16, 2021 1:50 AM

Pay attention to the film, it's flawed but it's not about a femme fatale.

by Anonymousreply 100May 16, 2021 2:22 AM

I think she was perfect for the role now I've seen it. She plays the part of a seemingly sloppy drunk that men try to pick up and assault

by Anonymousreply 101May 16, 2021 9:00 AM

It's not that she isn't attractive - it's that she looks too fucking old. I thought the character was well into her forties, so the whole thing seemed really pathetic. Then it was her 30th birthday? Wtf?

It wouldn't have been such a big problem but the teenaged/early twenties clothing and hairstyles just looked odd on this older woman.

by Anonymousreply 102May 16, 2021 9:11 AM

Older woman? Haha no. She’s a young woman. She was wonderful in the part of a young woman maybe 3+ yrs older than herself during filming.

by Anonymousreply 103May 16, 2021 9:16 AM

She's not 'old' but a forty-year-old woman with pigtails just looks creepy tbh.

by Anonymousreply 104May 16, 2021 9:54 AM

R104 She was about 33 on filming

by Anonymousreply 105May 17, 2021 10:19 AM

I didn’t see it, but why couldn’t the lead be a trans woman of color like in The Crying Game, the reveal could have been a nice twist to the movie and maybe she is the long lost missing brother seeking revenge?

by Anonymousreply 106May 17, 2021 11:01 AM

Like gay dudes could tell apart a hot from an ugly woman.

by Anonymousreply 107May 17, 2021 11:30 AM

The point the critic was making wasn't that Carey Mulligan isn't hawt (though she isn't) but that her casting lends the character a duality that otherwise wouldn't be present, say, if an obvious hawt girl, like Margot Robbie, played the role. With Mulligan, the character disguises herself to bait men, donning a kind of drag, the same way Clark Kent is Superman's drag (or vice-a-versa, the way a superhero dons their uniform). That's all.

Ms. Mulligan can be proud she put that critic on a bread line for her misunderstanding and narcissistic sensitivities. (Even though people have been saying she's plain looking ever since Baz Luhrman cast her as Daisy Buchanan and the whole world collectively scratched their heads.)

by Anonymousreply 108May 17, 2021 11:45 AM

Carey Mulligan is pretty but she has that saggy face that Jake Gyllenhal's sister has. People with that face type look older than they are. As I said before, she was beautiful as Daisy. Not only stunning women are raped or targeted.

I didn't see the movie but it does seem like (as someone above mentioned), she is obsessed with her friend and her friend's death. I have an ex-friend (no falling out, I just don't connect with her anymore and feel guilty about it) whose cousin died as a tween or teen. Every year (I guess on the dead girl's birthday), the ex-friend does some butterfly painting or artwork (quite nicely) and posts it on Facebook as a tribute to her dead cousin. This has been going for YEARS. I find it really strange, but I am kind of cold and heartless. This is the same friend whose son went trans and moved to the West Coast and no longer speaks to her.

by Anonymousreply 109May 17, 2021 6:47 PM

Would someone please go to Twitter and ask her how she's feeling about that little MeToo/You Offended Me! campaign she just knew would win her an Academy Award?

Not only did she not win, I honestly think she'll never win one. Academy members don't forget shit like this and some of the trades had suggested months ago that she was really irritating people with the constant moaning and faux outrage over a movie review. I think she'd done, as far as a future Oscar goes.

by Anonymousreply 110May 17, 2021 6:55 PM

I remember watching Carey Mulligan in The Great Gatsby and thinking if Mia Farrow’s delivery of similar dialogue and thinking Mulligan made sense of Fitzgerald’s lines.

by Anonymousreply 111May 18, 2021 6:23 PM

I remember all the hype over "An Education", both the film and her performance. After I had sat through the film I was so underwhelmed by both that I wondered what I had missed. The script was banal nonsense and Mulligan was a bland, colorless nothing devoid of any presence or charisma. I guess the fugly Brits in the media might think of her as a raving beauty and sex goddess but I have never been able to understand this bitch's appeal.

by Anonymousreply 112May 20, 2021 6:29 AM

But is she as sexy as Viola?

by Anonymousreply 113May 20, 2021 6:35 AM

R113, almost anyone is sexier than greasy, thirsty, attention-hungry, desperate Viola. Except maybe Lens Dunham or Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 114May 20, 2021 9:12 AM

Carey Mulligan should get some kind of plastic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 115May 20, 2021 6:20 PM

"The point the critic was making wasn't that Carey Mulligan isn't hawt (though she isn't) but that her casting lends the character a duality that otherwise wouldn't be present, say, if an obvious hawt girl, like Margot Robbie, played the role. "

The point is, male critics shouldn't make an issue over the perceived looks of actresses and then like this twat, pull the gay card when called on it.

How many times has he criticized a male actor's casting because of their looks?

Anyone who knows straight men should know that they will fuck absolutely anything: food, animals, corpses.

by Anonymousreply 116May 20, 2021 7:10 PM

R116 = Carey Fugigan

by Anonymousreply 117May 20, 2021 9:56 PM

R116 "Anyone who knows straight men should know that they will fuck absolutely anything: food, animals, corpses."

Yes, unlike gay men who would never do anything even remotely close to that, right?

by Anonymousreply 118May 21, 2021 7:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!