Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Need Dry Cat Food My Cat Will Eat

Picking my cat up from the vet she’s getting treated for cancer. She’s skinny & needs to eat. We gave her dry food years ago & she ballooned to 20lbs so we stopped giving it to her & switched to wet food on vet orders, Now she has depressed appetite & vet says she is preferring dry cat food, What dry cat food do cats really love? I don’t care if it’s junk food & neither does the vet. He says let her eat whatever she wants. If you feed your cat dry foods, which do they prefer? Do they prefer supermarket bought food over science developed foods? I bought Whole Foods dry cat food once & they wouldn’t touch it,

by Anonymousreply 74April 8, 2021 1:34 AM

Try Fancy Feast Filet Mignon with Real Seafood and Shrimp. My cat likes that but I feed him wet.

by Anonymousreply 1April 3, 2021 5:19 PM

[quote]Picking my cat up from the vet she’s getting treated for cancer.

Hope everything works out. ❤️

by Anonymousreply 2April 3, 2021 5:21 PM

My cat loves Purina Beyond Grain Free.

by Anonymousreply 3April 3, 2021 5:22 PM

Can't help with cats but I can tell you what works for my dog.

A tiny forkful of wet food in the bowl, add some water and mix it up, then add the dry. Doglet - aka Picky Bitch - devours it, and she turns her snout up at just dry food.

Good luck, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4April 3, 2021 5:25 PM

Go to the pet store and buy several brands and flavors, they come in small packs now, and see what one she likes. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 5April 3, 2021 5:25 PM

[quote]Need Dry Cat Food My Cat Will Eat

Have you tried serving your cunt, OP?

by Anonymousreply 6April 3, 2021 5:26 PM

Really with cats, you need to keep them eating in general. I would try various wet and dry foods. There also isma calorie supplement gel that you can add to their wet food in case they physically aren’t feeling up to eating. Also try Kitty moo, but not a lot. Finally kitty treats. Just keep her eating regardless of what it is.

by Anonymousreply 7April 3, 2021 5:31 PM

Mine like Purina Beyond

by Anonymousreply 8April 3, 2021 5:33 PM

I’ve been in this situation. If you sprinkle a packet of Purina Fortiflora (available on Amazon) on her wet food in addition to whatever dry food you try, it’ll help her eat more of it. It’s like kitty crack. I also gave my cat human turkey and chicken lunch meat. She loved it.

by Anonymousreply 9April 3, 2021 5:43 PM

OP, sorry for your cancer kitty...I just went through that twice over the past five years. In both cases, they were type 2 diabetic and had them on Purina DM (diabetes management) Rx food. Despite their poor appetite, they loved the dry DM kibble.

by Anonymousreply 10April 3, 2021 5:44 PM

My cats like the Purina One Sensitive Stomach formula, my elder cat kept vomiting up other dry foods, but the sensitive stomach he can digest well and they all seem to like the flavor.

by Anonymousreply 11April 3, 2021 5:48 PM

you can nutrient tubes for your cat - they're mostly for underweight kittens.. they aren't fond of them but it does help. of course, there's also protein mixes and milk alternatives for kittens. 420 options for cats. fresh catnip (make sure it's catnip and not catmint) can be helpful, too.

lamb options can be pricier but it can be helpful. wet food make sure it's pate, easier to digest than other cuts. they generally go for the liquid, so getting food toppers for it midway thru can give extra incentive for them to finish it.

by Anonymousreply 12April 3, 2021 5:50 PM

She’s able to eat a little now but I can’t get her pills into her. She needs prednisolone & a chemo drug. I’m a mess.

by Anonymousreply 13April 5, 2021 1:00 AM

Find a compounding pharmacy that can make it a liquid.

by Anonymousreply 14April 5, 2021 1:07 AM

Pick up some different packets of crunch dry snacks. Those have lots of calories in them.

by Anonymousreply 15April 5, 2021 1:18 AM

The next time I have to give my cats meds (which I hope is NEVER), I'm going to try disguising it with Churu treats. Talk about kitty crack!! My cats are obsessed with it, in every flavor. It's got a babyfood-like consistency and comes in a squeeze stick like Go-Gurt.

My cats eat Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein kibble; it's high protein, low in carbs and fairly calorie dense.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 5, 2021 1:21 AM

Whatever you do, do NOT ask your vet what cat food she's been eating.

by Anonymousreply 17April 5, 2021 1:22 AM

Crush the pill into rough powder and dissolve that in a bit of warm tap water. Stir that liquid into half a tube of INABA Churu cat treat, which is a paste -- let her lick that from a saucer. I've never met a cat who didn't love that stuff, as R16 says -- several different flavors, approx $5 for 4 tubes from Chewy.com, or $4 at Pet Smart.

As for dry food brands, the favorite among everyone I know is Purina Kit & Kaboodle, available at most supermarkets in various size bags, not expensive.

by Anonymousreply 18April 5, 2021 1:28 AM

I buy my cat's food through the vet. Can you cook chicken breast for them? Just some salt and pepper.

by Anonymousreply 19April 5, 2021 1:33 AM

Wet food is tastier and easier to eat!

by Anonymousreply 20April 5, 2021 1:35 AM

"Meow Mix" is a nasty, grotesque smelling cat food cats love to eat.

by Anonymousreply 21April 5, 2021 1:40 AM

My cats love Crave dry food. You can get it from the grocery store

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 5, 2021 1:49 AM

I am so terribly sorry - I had this with my sweet dog Lucky and my Black Kitty - I am so sorry - it’s a heart sinker. After pulling my hair out I found a secret weapon for pills - Vienna Sausage - yes - the same stuff you used to have in your lunch box that comes in the can. Cut the pill in half and pinch some pieces of Vienna sausage and push the pill piece inside - put a few of these little pieces (some w/out the pill also) on top of their food. The taste and odor of the sausage will disguise the pill - hopefully. Best of luck to you!!!!

by Anonymousreply 23April 5, 2021 1:56 AM

[quote] I'm going to try disguising it with Churu treats. Talk about kitty crack!! My cats are obsessed with it, in every flavor. It's got a babyfood-like consistency and comes in a squeeze stick like Go-Gurt.

My cats hate it. None of them will eat it, even the older one who likes soupy stewy bisque things. I recently bought it in a pack with multi flavored pastes, thinking my sick kitty might eat it & they hate all of the flavors.

I’m giving her some temptations treats which are junk food that I had to stop giving her several years ago because she became fat & then became diabetic. (Gave her insulin for 2 years and the diabetes went away). And the vet gave us some dry science diet which she will eat a little at a time. She shows interest & seems hungry but only eats a little at a time.

by Anonymousreply 24April 5, 2021 2:58 AM

Meow Mix.

by Anonymousreply 25April 5, 2021 3:23 AM

Go to a pet supply boutique, ask for samples. I like Fromm or Farmina. Get some frozen raw goat milk there too. Give your cat some choices. Take a picture of the bag he likes the most. Go back to the boutique and buy the food from them. Don't buy Nestle Purina and don't buy on Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 26April 5, 2021 3:33 AM

I have a finicky 5-yr. old male cat who I worry isn't getting enough vitamins. So I put out a bowl of kitten replacement milk and he laps it up.

by Anonymousreply 27April 5, 2021 3:35 AM

I used to feed my cat Orijens and she loved it. I know other people whose cats love it too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28April 5, 2021 4:02 AM

The last time I bought dry cat food it came in boxes. You used to shake the box & cats would come running. Now dry cat food is in huge bags. It’s ridiculous. The smallest bag is 3.5 lbs.

by Anonymousreply 29April 5, 2021 4:04 AM

Bring cat here. We feed it to customers, mean back to health. We love pussy and toast. Mean we love pussy cat the most.

by Anonymousreply 30April 5, 2021 4:07 AM

Royal Canin Exigent and all their special veterinary dry foods.

But do not take on that grain-free shit, it will kill your cat faster than cancer.

by Anonymousreply 31April 5, 2021 4:17 AM

I second the Fortiflora, cats love that and it is good for them.

Kitten food generally has more calories, try Purina Kitten Chow.

I have had luck with beef baby food as well, the completely pureed kind in jars.

Good luck. I'm sorry for your troubles.

by Anonymousreply 32April 5, 2021 4:21 AM

My cats have always liked Fancy Feast dry food. Good luck to you and your kitty 💕.

by Anonymousreply 33April 5, 2021 4:30 AM

Purina naturals

by Anonymousreply 34April 5, 2021 5:54 AM

My cat will only eat dry food. I've tried several but his favorite brand is Kit & Kaboodle.

by Anonymousreply 35April 5, 2021 6:16 AM

Purina Cat Chow Complete

We have four cats that go crazy for it and it's affordable and available everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 36April 5, 2021 6:57 AM

Why don't you just give her fish?

by Anonymousreply 37April 5, 2021 7:43 AM

R33 R34

Yup. Fancy Feast or Purina Cat Chow Natural Original.

Fancy Feast dry is like kitty crack. The Cat Chow Natural is similar (both are made by Purina), but has no food coloring so I switched my cats to that recently. They both have liver flavor in them which cats LOVE.

by Anonymousreply 38April 5, 2021 7:48 AM

Another vote for Purina grain-free. My cat loves this stuff. I had her on more expensive kibbles over the years, but she did not take to them like she does Purina.

by Anonymousreply 39April 5, 2021 9:04 AM

R31 Cats are obligate carnivores and should not be eating grain or plants as they can't metabolize it well.

by Anonymousreply 40April 5, 2021 9:08 AM

OP, I've never heard of a cat not liking Churu! But do follow R32's suggestion and try pureed baby food -- chicken or turkey was my cats' preference. At least it would work to mix dissolved pills in, then maybe she'll lick it off your fingertip (that was a ritual for one of my sick cats).

by Anonymousreply 41April 5, 2021 12:05 PM

I tried everything to try and get my mom's cat to take a pill. Finally got her to eat it in Delectables Squeeze Up which she loves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42April 5, 2021 12:14 PM

OP I don’t have cats but my dad feeds the neighborhood feral cats and they love meow mix and friskies dry cat food. For some reason these cheap stinky brands are the favorites and over the years we have purchased better brands to try out and the cats seem to ignore them or take a while to eat it.

by Anonymousreply 43April 5, 2021 12:25 PM

A couple tablespoons of canned chicken broth over a quality dry cat food.

by Anonymousreply 44April 5, 2021 12:25 PM

Try out different brands which type of wet food did your cat eat like which flavors/types? Get some dry food in that flavor/type. My cat eats chicken flavored dry food.

by Anonymousreply 45April 5, 2021 12:49 PM

[quote]If you sprinkle a packet of Purina Fortiflora (available on Amazon) on her wet food in addition to whatever dry food you try, it’ll help her eat more of it. It’s like kitty crack.

^^ Another vote for this. It's also a probiotic, so it'll help with any digestive issues that might be contributing to a loss of appetite in your cat.

The suggestion about finding/using a compounding pharmacy for her medication is also excellent.

We did that with my parents' first cat, who would NOT take a pill no matter what we tried. So, we took the prescription (for thyroid meds) to a compounding pharmacy (for humans), and they gave it to us in cream form -- which we rubbed into his ear once a day. We wore finger cots when we did this so that *we* didn't absorb the meds. Worked like a charm.

And the suggestions about kitten food/kitten milk are also great. Kitten food is higher in calories, and usually appealing to (most) adult cats.

Finally, if you haven't already, you could visit The Cat Site's message forums and ask there. I've posted panicked inquiries there before and received really helpful advice.

Good luck, OP!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46April 5, 2021 1:02 PM

There was a post on this a while back. Try Orijen Tundra. As for wet food in terminally sick cats, fancy feast does the trick. Also just straight tuna juice (low sodium, no oil).

by Anonymousreply 47April 5, 2021 1:38 PM

"I have had luck with beef baby food as well"

Be careful about anything with onions or onion powder in it. Onions are toxic to cats.

by Anonymousreply 48April 5, 2021 1:38 PM

Onions aren’t in Gerber baby food.

by Anonymousreply 49April 5, 2021 1:46 PM

My cat has small cell lymphoma. The daily steroid makes her eat like a pig. I get it as a liquid at a compounding pharmacy.

by Anonymousreply 50April 5, 2021 2:04 PM

My cats eat the Rachel Ray dry food (chicken flavor in light green bag). One of the cats is obese and the other is not small. They love it.

by Anonymousreply 51April 5, 2021 2:22 PM

My cats like Purina dry food. I feel for you OP. I had a kitty who died of cancer over 10 years ago. Before I knew it, I spent $25,000 to try and save his life, he died within a year. I would go to Whole Foods and buy baked chicken breast for him. Never will I put a pet threw the chemo experience again unless their has ben demonstrated improvement in lifespan and quality of life. In order to give your kitty pills , you have to tilt their heads back, pop in the pill and tickle their throats. If you can get a pharmacy to make it a liquid that might help.

by Anonymousreply 52April 5, 2021 2:31 PM

Google "best dry cat food" and you'll get several lists with descriptions.

There are a handful of brands that appear on most of the lists.

- Hill's Science Diet Adult Indoor Cat Food, Chicken Recipe Dry Cat Food

- CRAVE Grain Free High Protein Dry Cat Food

by Anonymousreply 53April 5, 2021 2:43 PM

Oh one other side note:

Many places sell small amounts as samples. You may want to get a bunch of them and test which ones your cat prefers.

It may take a bit of searching to locate someone who sells them.

by Anonymousreply 54April 5, 2021 2:45 PM

I think the op is trying to get the cat to put on some weight, she has a poor appetite.

by Anonymousreply 55April 5, 2021 2:47 PM

By the time my cat turned like 17ish she would only eat wet food. I think she’d lost too many teeth and it was just easier for her. She never gained weight though - But she loved her wet food 3 times a day! Lived to be 21.

Dry food is so much easier - she had it available 24/7 and ate when she wanted. Wet was harder for me - but I loved the snooty bitch and it made her happy.

by Anonymousreply 56April 5, 2021 2:48 PM

My vet recommended Purina Pro Plan. I get the one for mature cats and they like it.

by Anonymousreply 57April 5, 2021 2:56 PM

How old is your cat, OP?

The cancer treatment has probably wrecked her sense of smell, so I would feed her something stinky. Fix yourself some salmon, and give her some of it and the skin. The skin has some dat and oil and other good stuff. I second and third the toppings you can pour over wet food. They’re very helpful.

by Anonymousreply 58April 5, 2021 2:57 PM

FAT, not DAT, for the love of Datalounge.

I type dat.

by Anonymousreply 59April 5, 2021 2:58 PM

My cat's favorite junk food is Meow Mix. I used to keep it around to give her in case she got fussy but I had to get rid of it because she can smell it and refuses to eat anything else.

by Anonymousreply 60April 5, 2021 2:59 PM

OP, not dry food, but my vet uses these for Inaba Churrus for cancer patients. He recommended them when my cat wouldn't eat and she went nuts. I've fed them to other cats as a treat and they all gobble them like kitty crack.

They're like gogurts. Not practical as a regular diet, but will add some calories and whet the appetite. You could also try mixing a tube or 2 in with very soft wet food.

Good luck to you & your cat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61April 5, 2021 3:11 PM

OP, Tiki Cat also makes "velvet mousse" pouches that are purees, much softer than canned pate foods. They're designed for senior cats. You might want to try them, especially the fish flavors, which as R58 notes tend to appeal because they smell stronger.

Cats aren't great at hydrating, which is one reason an all-dry food diet is bad for them. Sounds like you know this, but it's worth trying to find a wet food she'll eat. If not, ask a pet food store if they have dry food samples you can try till you hit one one your cat likes. You'd be surprised how many brands have trial-size packets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62April 5, 2021 3:20 PM

Tiki is very good.

by Anonymousreply 63April 5, 2021 3:25 PM

Hi OP - Sorry to hear about your little one. My two guys are senior but still healthy - one of them (female) is about 17 years now. The male is about 9 years old. I noticed fhe female has been losing a bit of weight as she ages and I started to focusing even more on her overall nutrition in general. **Neither of my cats eat dry food**. It's not a good thing for cats (especially males) and I just treat the male as I would the female, so no dry food. Ever.

I should note the female is Siamese and extremely picky so what I do is to cater to her fussy tastes. Every morning, the female gets 1/2 small can of Royal Canin (Adult) the male gets 1/4 of the small can. Around lunch, they get slow cooked roast beef (human food) which I cut up into tiny pieces for the female. The female absolutely loves it - the warm food in her stomach is very soothing and comforting.

After her lunch (remember, she is old, lethargic, kind of mentally....wanders sometimes) she gets this incredible energy and starts racing around the house, madly climbing her cat trees, plays with her catnip toys, then settles down for an afternoon nap. Around 4:30 pm, they know it's dinner - again, the female gets her 1/2 can Canin wet food, the male gets his 1/4 can.

Around 7:00 PM, they know it's time for treats and they are **spoiled** - I give them tiny pieces of smoked wild salmon (human food). Later in the evening, before bedtime, they each get a tiny bit of grated parmesan cheese.

I'm not recommending this for you necessarily. But what I found effective, especially the aging female, who desperately needs "meat on her bones" is to cater to her palate. Seems to be working, So far.

One final comment: I find the effect of having roast beef cooking in the slow cooker, creates this incredible smell in the house and it drives them crazy, desiring food. They literally **hang** for their lunchtime just from the roast beef smell wafting around for 3-4 hours.

by Anonymousreply 64April 5, 2021 3:38 PM

R46 R9 The Fortiflora had the opposite effect on my cat. She was taking it for intestinal "issues", but her appetite was fine. However, she refused to eat her food after I put the Fortiflora on it. And that stuff is $30 a box!

Start with the Fancy Feast dry FIRST. That stuff smells soooo good, I'VE been tempted to try it, lol! The filet mignon flavor is the smelliest, but all the flavors are cat crack. If the FF doesn't work, try some of the other suggestions here, but I'd be VERY surprised if your cat doesn't go insane for the FF. Another good thing about the FF is that the kibble is very small, and easy to chew.

by Anonymousreply 65April 5, 2021 5:22 PM

My cats are very weird. They refused to eat their food when I bought that expensive fortifora. They refused churu. They refused a couple of other “paste in a tube” foods.

I can’t pick them up. They refuse & scratch & go nuts. They don’t curl up like most cats do. They don’t sit in laps. They are terrified of strangers They are terrified of us if we are wearing shoes in the house. They like to be petted only on their terms which is

1) When the cat feels like it. Sometimes that’s 0 times a day for several days.

2) Cannot approach them from the front. Your hand must put them from behind their heads or to the far side of the cheeks from behind. If you put your hand towards their face you will get a stern slap that might even draw blood.

3) Will lie next to me on the bed for petting but will only lie next to me butt-first. Meaning their butt is facing me and their head is farthest away from me. They never sit next to me face first. Meaning I have to stretch my hand as far as possible to pet them. They always face away from me.

This probably has to do with my husband constantly trying to grab their noses when they first came here. He always wanted to tap their noses and say “bonk” which they fucking hated. Cats don’t want to play “gotcher nose.” It makes no sense to them.

My cat is eating now in small bits frequently throughout the day but I cannot get pills into her for my life

by Anonymousreply 66April 5, 2021 10:12 PM

Our cats are very picky. They like the Costco dry catfood Kirkland Maintenance that comes in a purple sack with a picture of a Siamese cat on the bag.

by Anonymousreply 67April 5, 2021 10:19 PM

r67 - This is for you

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68April 5, 2021 10:28 PM

Cats need neat to survive, and yet they also need grains to live well. This grain-free shit trend is for the fat gullible OCDs who project their need to be thin onto their pets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69April 5, 2021 10:36 PM

Another weird thing about my cats - they only eat cat food. The6 don’t like people food. Fresh chicken, beef, seafood - nope. Gotta come out of a package, either wet or dry. Give them fresh food & they’re like, “Seriously? Do you think that’s funny?”:

by Anonymousreply 70April 6, 2021 7:21 PM

R66 (and R70, assuming your the same poster) - my cat shares a lot of those behaviors. Well, all of them, really. She does love being brushed, but prefers the butt-first position you describe. She can NEVER see a hand approaching face forward, but if she can't see it she loves having her head and neck petted. No picking up though, no lap sitting, no loud noises or sudden moves. On the rare, rare occasions my cat has slept curled against my body for warmth, I've been afraid to move, knowing she'll scoot off and never return.

My cat was a feral for her first year, so the roots of her skittishness are clear. The funny thing is that she now follows us around the apartment - she likes to be in the same room as her humans, just at a safe distance.

Oh, and human food is of zero interest. Raw is the best. Again, unsurprising. She's just a little more wild than fully domesticated cats. Were your cats also rescues?

by Anonymousreply 71April 6, 2021 8:16 PM

** you're, not your

by Anonymousreply 72April 6, 2021 8:16 PM

Tiki Cat is a great brand. I give my cats Tiki Cat half the time because it is the most expensive of the cat food brands I feed them. The others are Nulo shredded/ minced varieties and Weruva Truluxe. I only feed them wet food. For treats I put Tiki Cat dry food inside treat balls and cubes that they’d have to maneuver to get to it. The other occasional treats are Greenies and unsalted dried anchovies I get from the Korean supermarket H Mart.

by Anonymousreply 73April 6, 2021 11:01 PM

Your vet says fatten up with grain, so dry food. Fine, Meow Mix is very tasty (apparently). And cheap to boot.

Having said that, if your aged cat (15 yrs +) has diabetes, you can bring its blood sugar down to normal if you end the dry food and feed only canned food (and none with gravies, which are flour=based). Just the Pate ones. There are charts online. We brought our cat's blood sugar down from 500 to 81 in a few weeks. The vet was amazed, and we did not need to go the insulin route at all.

that is all.

by Anonymousreply 74April 8, 2021 1:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!