Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Theatre of Blood 2021 remake

They are remaking the Vincent Price classic Theatre of Blood in 2021!

The 1973 original cast included: Vincent Price, Diana Rigg, Ian Hendry, Harry Andrews, Robert Coote, Michael Hordern, Robert Morley, Carole Brown, Jack Hawkins, Arthur Lowe, Dennis Price, Madeline Smith, and Milo O'Shea as the inspector.

The 2021 cast will be: Gary Oldman in the Price role, with Lucy Boynton, Ewan McGregor, Benedict Cumberbatch, Hugh Grant, Timothy Dalton, Stephen Fry, Cate Blanchett, Kenneth Branagh, Simon Callow, Hugh Laurie, Emma Corin, and Idris Elba as the inspector.

Hopeful, huh

by Anonymousreply 32April 20, 2021 9:45 AM

Coral Browne in the hairdryer has to be the most scary death scene ever!

by Anonymousreply 1April 2, 2021 10:18 PM

So they replaced campy old queen Vincent Price with a right wing bigoted Christian Gary Oldman.

by Anonymousreply 2April 2, 2021 10:22 PM

It'll be much gorier I'm sure. But Oldman is an odd choice.

by Anonymousreply 3April 2, 2021 10:41 PM

Link please OP

by Anonymousreply 4April 2, 2021 11:00 PM

I wonder which one is the critic forced to eat his own dogs (please let it be Hugh Grant!)

by Anonymousreply 5April 2, 2021 11:02 PM

Hmmm, I adore this movie. Looking at the cast listed for the remake, I'll allow it, with some reservation.

by Anonymousreply 6April 2, 2021 11:09 PM

R5, it was implied that critic was a bulimic (brain fog has deleted the term for people who eat so much, then throw up so they can eat some more) so I’m going with Stephen Fry. Plus, it would be fun watching him get his fat face stuffed.

by Anonymousreply 7April 2, 2021 11:17 PM

That makes sense R7; I kind of like the idea of old, self important Brits like Grant, Branagh & Laurie meeting a bad end, but why Cate Blanchett?

by Anonymousreply 8April 2, 2021 11:28 PM

She'll be playing the Coral Browne role I guess R8

by Anonymousreply 9April 2, 2021 11:37 PM

Gary Oldman in the Vincent Price role will be as exciting as Kenneth Branagh as Poirot.

Dear God, who thought it was a good idea to give Gary such a deliciously campy role?

by Anonymousreply 10April 2, 2021 11:40 PM

Do you have a link to this? I can't find any info on it.

by Anonymousreply 11April 3, 2021 12:14 AM

Where did you hear this op?

by Anonymousreply 12April 3, 2021 12:26 AM

April Fools lol

Just my dream cast for the remake.

Stephen Fry would be the Robert Morley "straight man" with the poodles. Cate Blanchett would be the bitchy Coral Brown part. Granted, Cate Blanchett could play Poirot and it would be a good performance. Hugh Grant would be the Robert Coote drunken role- who dies in the barrel of wine. Hugh Laurie would be the Dennis Price role- gets dragged by a horse. Simon Callow would get his head cut off. (Arthur Lowe in the original). Kenneth Branagh would be the Jack Hawkins-life murdering role. Benedict Cumberbatch would play the womanizer (originally Harry Andrews). Ewan McGregor would be the Ian Hendry critics board chairman. Timothy Dalton would be the first murder- like Julius Caesar (original the great Michael Hordern)

by Anonymousreply 13April 3, 2021 3:10 PM

Am I delusional? lol

by Anonymousreply 14April 3, 2021 3:13 PM

OP I read your original post to my husband and he said "I'm guessing that's an April Fool's Day post"...alas, he was correct. But I like your cast very much!

by Anonymousreply 15April 3, 2021 3:39 PM

“Hello, I’m...Butch.”

by Anonymousreply 16April 3, 2021 3:42 PM

Nicholas Hytner could direct!

Anyone want to finance this project with me?

by Anonymousreply 17April 3, 2021 3:44 PM

Hey they could get Kenneth Branagh to direct. His recent remakes have been ever so exxxxx....zzzzzzzz snore zzzzzzzz snore.

by Anonymousreply 18April 3, 2021 4:04 PM

I just saw this on tv the other day. Never heard of it. Really had some good moments.

by Anonymousreply 19April 3, 2021 4:07 PM

R19 It is a great film that showcases Vincent Price's talents. He always wanted to perform Shakespeare but his horror movie reputation never let him be seriously considered for a Shakespearean role. This film allowed him to show off his classically trained talents all the while being a "horror actor."

Look at the cast list, too. They are all serious classically trained actors. Michael Hordern is ranked as one of the best Lear's of the 20th Century. Jack Hawkins was in the greatest ilms of all time- Lawrence of Arabia, Bridge on the River Kwai, and Ben Hur. Harry Andrews, Dennis Price, Robert Coote, and Robert Morley all had extremely impressive resumes at the time as well.

For Price to kill them all as a "horror actor" makes it even better. To me at least. I'm a nerd though.

by Anonymousreply 20April 3, 2021 4:22 PM

Oh FUCK YOU OP for raising my hopes.

by Anonymousreply 21April 3, 2021 4:24 PM

This is Your Dish

by Anonymousreply 22April 3, 2021 8:47 PM

Well this would have been the perfect rehabilitation vehicle for Armie (I want to eat you) Hammer.

by Anonymousreply 23April 3, 2021 9:20 PM

When Gary Oldman cuts loose, he can be campy. Please, see [italic]the Professional[/italic] or [italic]Romeo Is Bleeding[/italic]. The danger is that he takes himself a bit seriously these days.

In other news, I just streamed [italic]the Faculty[/italic] via Paramount. If you want funny teen horror, check that out. The cast includes Bebe Neuwirth, Elijah Wood, Famke Janssen, Josh Hartnett, and Robert Patrick, among others.

by Anonymousreply 24April 3, 2021 10:48 PM

Why all the hate? Who would you recommend for Lionheart? Daniel Day-Lewis? Colin Firth? Maggie Smith? lol

by Anonymousreply 25April 4, 2021 3:50 PM

[quote]In other news, I just streamed the Faculty via Paramount. If you want funny teen horror, check that out. The cast includes Bebe Neuwirth, Elijah Wood, Famke Janssen, Josh Hartnett, and Robert Patrick, among others.

How dare you relegate two time Academy Award nominee Piper Laurie to"among others" status. Really now.

by Anonymousreply 26April 4, 2021 10:45 PM

R26 I think she also guest starred in an episode of Frasier with the lady from The Good Wife?

by Anonymousreply 27April 5, 2021 1:48 PM

I'm so ready for this

by Anonymousreply 28April 19, 2021 8:31 PM

Yeah, ezcept its NOT HAPPENING, R28. Learn to read.

by Anonymousreply 29April 19, 2021 8:34 PM

This is one of my favorite movies from childhood. I know some schmuck tried to make it happen as a musical a few years ago but they just didn't have the talent to pull it off.

by Anonymousreply 30April 20, 2021 12:53 AM

[quote]Yeah, ezcept its NOT HAPPENING, [R28]. Learn to read.

Yes, this was fake - but since they're recycling every other tired idea, why not remake this movie & some of the other VP campy classics for Netfix, Hulu or one of the other million streaming channels?

by Anonymousreply 31April 20, 2021 9:21 AM

Armie could play the police inspector

by Anonymousreply 32April 20, 2021 9:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!