Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The greatest performance by a dress in television history.

This is it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106September 4, 2021 7:54 AM

It was designed by Bob Mackie, who would later work for Carol Burnett and Cher.

by Anonymousreply 1April 2, 2021 2:26 AM

The dress is eleventyzillion times better than the voice.

by Anonymousreply 2April 2, 2021 2:27 AM

Sexy yet not slutty. Sad bitches these days think dressing like a stripper is what sexy is about.

by Anonymousreply 3April 2, 2021 2:29 AM

That was fun. I agree with R2. The dress was way better.

by Anonymousreply 4April 2, 2021 2:32 AM

r2 and r4, Mitzi Gaynor would agree with you. She's that great and always in on the joke.

by Anonymousreply 5April 2, 2021 2:34 AM

I wonder what happened to the dancers in the video?

by Anonymousreply 6April 2, 2021 2:37 AM

Mitzi was the poor man's version of Jayne Mansfield.

by Anonymousreply 7April 2, 2021 2:38 AM

Damn R6, that’s the first thing I thought of too. That dress, those boys, that number....FABULOUS!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 8April 2, 2021 2:49 AM

Love the dress - it reminds me of Marilyn's when she sang to JFK. Probably pretty scandalous in the day.

And Mitzi is a name that deserves a come-back. It's fun as hell.

by Anonymousreply 9April 2, 2021 2:52 AM

[quote]Mitzi was the poor man's version of Jayne Mansfield.

No she was not. Not at all. A completely different type and performer.

by Anonymousreply 10April 2, 2021 3:06 AM

That number is excellent. The song, the choreography, the way it was filmed.

Gaynor's often off-key singing voice even works here. It's a Brazilian song....ever hear Astrud Gilberto?

by Anonymousreply 11April 2, 2021 3:08 AM

I love her. I named my Lhasa Apso after her.

by Anonymousreply 12April 2, 2021 3:12 AM

Great stories from her. She self aware. I love that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 2, 2021 3:18 AM

^^^ She talks about them. Very handsome couple.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 2, 2021 3:23 AM

I win.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 2, 2021 3:24 AM

The dress deserved it's own series. That song would have been better in Spanish.

by Anonymousreply 16April 2, 2021 3:24 AM

R16 Spanish? The song is so Brazilian Portuguese.

by Anonymousreply 17April 2, 2021 3:26 AM

The original song. Gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 2, 2021 3:32 AM

I always loved Bob Mackie’s fashions. Perfect dress for that performance and Mitzi wore it well. I too wondered about the guys — no close-ups, and I wonder if any of them later became famous. Also wonder, who today could wear that dress as beautifully as Mitzi did?

by Anonymousreply 19April 2, 2021 4:09 AM

I’m tired. I wasn’t clear in R19.

What I meant was, if we were able to see their faces clearly, I wonder if any of the guys would be recognizable to us now, as celebrities.

by Anonymousreply 20April 2, 2021 4:15 AM

by Anonymousreply 21April 2, 2021 9:56 PM

Absolutely gay iconic moment. Mitzi loves the gays. She a gay ally. People gave her shit about it but she was like fuck yoooooou! She respected gays at a time when most people in the US hated us. She was beautiful and had balls.

by Anonymousreply 22April 2, 2021 10:06 PM

Choreography by Danny Daniels....choreography, wiggle wiggle , head bounce....chorepgraphy heh heh heh.

My MGM movie loving Mother took us as little kids to see her at The Westbury Music Fair on Long Island. I had no idea who she was and I didn't care. Two hours later I had no idea who she was and I didn't care. Now when Debbie Reynolds came to town that was another story.

by Anonymousreply 23April 2, 2021 10:25 PM

Mitzi is the poor man's Joey Hetherton.

by Anonymousreply 24April 2, 2021 10:33 PM

There is a CBS interview from about a year ago on youtube and it is very depressing. She is now an old lady who can barely move. Shrunken and feeble in a way you could never imagine this lady being. She is nearly 90 but you kind of think she would have gotten to 50 and always remained that way. She seems to have had a series of minor strokes.

by Anonymousreply 25April 2, 2021 10:39 PM

[quote]Mitzi is the poor man's Joey Hetherton.

Mitzi Gaynor was a movie star. Not A -list but she did have starring roles in major productions including "South Pacific" one of the biggest box office successes of the 1950s. Moved on to TV and had a series of yearly Specials that rated highly.

Joey Heatherton can't compare.

by Anonymousreply 26April 2, 2021 10:48 PM

r25, this? She almost 90. I can understand if she was a bit serious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 2, 2021 10:52 PM

[quote]Choreography by Danny Daniels....choreography, wiggle wiggle , head bounce....chorepgraphy heh heh heh.

For that number that's all she needed to do. The song is a cool Samba.

The choreography between her and the boys is actually rather sophisticated.

by Anonymousreply 28April 2, 2021 10:52 PM

Yes I said she's nearly 90. As unrealistic as it is you want these people to remain young. You want her to remain on stage and dance in a Mackie gown. Now she's an old woman and it hurts.

by Anonymousreply 29April 2, 2021 11:20 PM

Mitzi and Marilyn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 2, 2021 11:58 PM

Thank you R26, I was thinking of posting the something similar. Mitzi's not the poor man's anything, especially the examples posted here.

Mitzi is an old-fashioned, hard working broad. She worked hard at a movie career, knowing she really did not have "it" like some (and very few) others do - personally, I really enjoy her work in "There's No Business Like Show Business." She's adorable.

Movie career over? Shift gears, go to work in nightclubs and TV - a girl's got to eat and you gotta make money to do that. her TV specials rec'd high ratings, the networks asked her back over and over.

Her description of working with Mackie is great, would probably be funnier with some salty language if she had a drink in hand.

I saw an interview with Mackie years ago and he is also very clear about his job for Mitzi, Carol Cher etc... he did not create fashion he created costumes and they are very different. Costumes. Yes he can design fashion - and has, but not when the outfit is for TV or nightclubs.

Mitzi and Mackie, birds of a feather and part of a small slice of entertainment that is long gone. Thank God for youtube clips! Now let's watch Went With the Wind for the famous dress!

by Anonymousreply 31April 2, 2021 11:59 PM

[quote]who today could wear that dress as beautifully as Mitzi did?

I can’t think of anyone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 3, 2021 12:58 PM

Appropriate for the season, and from "Mitzi Zings Into Spring!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33April 3, 2021 1:49 PM

𝓎𝓊𝓂-𝑜𝑜𝑜𝑜𝑜𝑜𝑜𝑜!

by Anonymousreply 34April 3, 2021 2:56 PM

/////////////

by Anonymousreply 35April 4, 2021 12:18 AM

Mitzi was not beautiful, nor was she a great singer, and as that clip amply shows, she was far from a great dancer. And God knows she was not a great actress. But she had tons of pizzazz and energy and a great body, and she was a lot of fun.

by Anonymousreply 36April 4, 2021 12:23 AM

A gorgeous Gene Kelly together with Mitzi

I know she's in heels but Gene Kelly seems small in stature compared to her.

[quote]Mitzi's not the poor man's anything, especially the examples posted here.

The only performer who I think was sort of similar to Mitzi Gaynor as far as types go was Juliet Prowse. Could we say Juliet Prowse was the poor man's Mitzi Gaynor?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37April 4, 2021 1:18 AM

No one is the poor man's Mitzi Gaynor. That's categorically impossible.

by Anonymousreply 38April 4, 2021 1:40 AM

If you had told me that DL's Eldergays would get worked up by a 52 year old video of a 38 year old woman in a dress singing torch songs....

by Anonymousreply 39April 4, 2021 1:50 AM

To change the topic.. Also , by Bob Mackie Carol Burnett's drapery dress in WENT WITH THE WIND .

by Anonymousreply 40April 4, 2021 1:59 AM

Fun OP thanks

by Anonymousreply 41April 4, 2021 9:31 AM

I warned her not to wear it and face worldwide humiliation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42April 4, 2021 10:04 AM

Surely Deborah Kerr owns this thread for frocks in films?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43April 4, 2021 10:42 AM

R37, thanks for the "Les Girls" clip... I didn't know Mitzi danced with Gene Kelly. You're right, Kelly is definitely not tall in it - he and MG seem well-matched in size.

It's definitely a routine that shows how different Kelly and Astaire were... Fred could never have pulled off that outfit and attitude. Gene really was sexy when he wanted to be.

And yes, perhaps Prowse was the poor man's Gaynor.

BTW - I saw Mitzi as Reno Sweeney in Anything Goes, back in the early 1990s. Her costumes were by Bob Mackie (natch!). I remember her as being too much Mitzi and not enough in character. True story, she left the stage during the big "Blow Gabriel Blow" number in order to change costumes! She re-appeared with a big, ta-da type reveal. Ridiculous, I think some of the audience loved it.

by Anonymousreply 44April 4, 2021 11:05 AM

That dress with it's illusion of nudity reminds me of the Jean Louis designed dress for Marlene in concert.

by Anonymousreply 45April 4, 2021 11:16 AM

The naked dress was done for Mitzi first. Cher made it a sensation at the MET gala.

Bob always talks about Mitzi in interviews. I never knew her or anything about her.

I went back and looked her up on You Tube. What a great broad. So much to love.

by Anonymousreply 46April 4, 2021 11:47 AM

R44, actually the exit is part of the number. I cannot remember if LuPone changed costume.

(But she famously got involved in a card game with stage hands and nearly missed her re-entrance.)

by Anonymousreply 47April 4, 2021 12:39 PM

R15 - Madonna did it better on the MTV Music Awards

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 4, 2021 12:53 PM

r18, fuck, I didn't even recognize it!

by Anonymousreply 49April 4, 2021 12:57 PM

Mackie was working here from the plinth of the designer JeanLouis, who invented the modern version of the nude dress for Marlene Dietrich for her Cafe de Paris and Vegas shows. They used a newly invented stretch moussiline (sp) to sew the sewuins on, but it would tear easily. Dieteich used to show her nipples for the Parisian audiences.

by Anonymousreply 50April 4, 2021 1:02 PM

She is incredible. So good to her dancers. One of my friends had AIDS in the early 90s. She kept him working as long as he wanted. When he couldn’t dance anymore she put him in charge of the dancers. Loyal to him til the end, and his partner afterward. Her husband showed the same loyalty. She has worked hard and lived her life well.

by Anonymousreply 51April 4, 2021 1:10 PM

Mitzi was originally considered to play Sugar Kane in Some Like it Hot, before Marilyn became involved.

by Anonymousreply 52April 4, 2021 1:11 PM

R23, Danny Daniels was a respected Broadway and film dancer and choreographer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53April 4, 2021 1:17 PM

His Broadway credits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54April 4, 2021 1:18 PM

R51, were your friends Wayne and Ron?

by Anonymousreply 55April 4, 2021 1:20 PM

Beautiful! What a dress and what a body!

by Anonymousreply 56April 4, 2021 1:22 PM

R55, no. Michael was his name.

by Anonymousreply 57April 4, 2021 2:14 PM

Thanks, R55. I knew a couple of her dancers back then.

by Anonymousreply 58April 4, 2021 2:52 PM

I think was Mitzi like the Betty Grable of the 1950s for Fox but not as big as star as Grable was in the 1940s. She had the same all-American girl quality without the sex appeal of a Marilyn. Check out There's No Business Like Show Business where Mitzi and Marilyn have a number together called "Lazy".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59April 4, 2021 2:58 PM

The greatest performance by cowbells in a pussy.

by Anonymousreply 60April 4, 2021 3:46 PM

She moves so effortlessly and elegantly in the "Les Girls" clip. She pairs beautifully with Kelly, nice sexual energy. Love the contrast between their hair color too.

by Anonymousreply 61April 4, 2021 7:56 PM

[quote]Mitzi was the poor man's version of Jayne Mansfield.

You apparently have confused Mitzi Gaynor with Mamie Van Doren, who was the poor man's version of Jayne Mansfield, who was the poor man's version of Marilyn Monroe.

by Anonymousreply 62April 4, 2021 8:10 PM

R62 OR maybe he confused her with Diana Dors who was the poor man's version of Mamie Van Doren, who was the poor man's version of Jayne Mansfield, who was the poor man's version of Marilyn Monroe.

by Anonymousreply 63April 4, 2021 8:14 PM

Maybe you could make the case that Mitzi was the poor man's Doris Day. After all she got South Pacific, a part you would think Doris would have been given.

by Anonymousreply 64April 4, 2021 8:15 PM

as for what happened to the guys, I'm not sure, but here are their names.

Oh, this show won an Emmy -- not for the dress though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65April 4, 2021 8:16 PM

I remember this special "Mitzi Zings into Spring" when I was a kid; it pre-empted regular programming and I thought WHO is this woman?

And why is she 'zinging' into spring?

by Anonymousreply 66April 4, 2021 8:17 PM

In an interview about the making of "South Pacific," Mitzi credits Joshua Logan as being "the man who got me out of sequins." Clearly she didn't stay out of them for very long.

by Anonymousreply 67April 4, 2021 8:21 PM

By the time 1960 rolled around, if you were going to cast a big film musical you'd go with Doris Day, Shirley McLaine, Debbie Reynolds, Shirley Jones. And then Julie Andrews and Babs showed up. So really, there wasn't much room for a Mitzi Gaynor.

Apparently this is the number (below) that landed her, her TV Specials and was the start of her comeback.

Legend has it that this number got the longest applause for a musical number in Oscar history.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68April 4, 2021 8:46 PM

R68, one of those dancers is Lee Roy Reams.

by Anonymousreply 69April 4, 2021 9:43 PM

Well "South Pacific" was lousy and ugly with it's weird gels and filters masking the glorious scenery. Something everyone including the director regretted. It wasn't even a big hit, "The Sound Of Music" played three years in theaters in it's initial run and re-released many times. "South Pacific" isn't remotely considered a classic.

by Anonymousreply 70April 4, 2021 10:31 PM

[quote]Well "South Pacific" was lousy and ugly with it's weird gels and filters masking the glorious scenery. Something everyone including the director regretted. It wasn't even a big hit,

"South Pacific" was the top-grossing movie of 1958. You don't know what you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 71April 4, 2021 10:41 PM

Plus Mitzi was the only one not dubbed.

by Anonymousreply 72April 4, 2021 10:42 PM

South Pacific was a very very big hit. It played in London's Dominion theater for four fucking years. Probably the longest run of a movie in one theater ever. It is still beloved by many people.

I agree with you about the filters. It turns it into an ugly mess. Still I got to see it once in a Todd AO print in 6 track stereo on a humongous curved screen and it was a very impressive experience. The opening notes at the beginning of Bali Hai at the beginning of the movie had me pinned to the back of the theater.

by Anonymousreply 73April 4, 2021 10:46 PM

[quote]Plus Mitzi was the only one not dubbed.

Juanita Hall was dubbed as Bloody Mary even though she had created the role on Broadway. Richard Rodgers preferred the singing voice of Muriel Smith, who had played the role in London, and had her dub Hall. That must have hurt.

by Anonymousreply 74April 4, 2021 10:46 PM

And it seems everyone wanted Juanita Hall's voice in the film except Rodgers and his word was law. Clearly he had no problem with it in FDS.

by Anonymousreply 75April 4, 2021 10:49 PM

[quote]"South Pacific" was the top-grossing movie of 1958. You don't know what you're talking about.

And for the entire decade it is tied at 11th place (with "Rear Window"). You're right, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

by Anonymousreply 76April 4, 2021 10:53 PM

Dawson was the poor man's Mitzi Gaynor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77April 5, 2021 12:57 AM

R9

Bob did the original sketches for the happy birthday dress.

by Anonymousreply 78April 5, 2021 5:40 AM

Haha at R77, “Man pleasing recipes”.

by Anonymousreply 79April 5, 2021 7:05 AM

Simulated nude dresses go back at least to Rita Hayworth in the mid 40s. I bet there are examples that go back further.

by Anonymousreply 80April 5, 2021 7:26 PM

-------------

by Anonymousreply 81May 4, 2021 2:27 AM

History of the nude illusion dress:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82May 4, 2021 10:35 AM

R33, thanks. I can finally say I saw Wayne Rogers dance.

by Anonymousreply 83May 4, 2021 10:40 AM

The dress is spectacular. What really impresses me is the set decoration and the lighting. Here’s another number (which Mitzi hated) with an amazing backdrop, lighting and camera work. All rendered in the glorious 1960s palette of an RCA TK-42 color television camera.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84May 4, 2021 11:50 AM

She's now on Amazon Prime. All the tv specials.

by Anonymousreply 85May 19, 2021 10:23 PM

This is FAAAAAAAABULOUS.

And all the dancing MARY!s

by Anonymousreply 86May 19, 2021 10:33 PM

I wish some brave soul would give the variety show one last try, but instead of being serious about it, do it like they are in on the joke.

Do it like they know it's dated and corny but make it spectacularly so.

by Anonymousreply 87May 19, 2021 10:50 PM

[quote]Bob did the original sketches for the happy birthday dress.

So he says.

by Anonymousreply 88May 19, 2021 10:53 PM

This is a cool dress too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89May 20, 2021 12:28 AM

What a dress R84 ! I am bedazzled .

by Anonymousreply 90May 20, 2021 2:54 AM

Amy Sedaris on Letterman

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91May 20, 2021 2:58 AM

Amy Sedaris in a thread about Mitzi Gaynor? Just no.

by Anonymousreply 92May 20, 2021 3:04 AM

Oh yeah the chewbacca dress.

by Anonymousreply 93May 20, 2021 3:17 AM

[quote]Amy Sedaris in a thread about Mitzi Gaynor? Just no.

This is what happens when you let J. Lo into a thread about Mitzi Gaynor.

by Anonymousreply 94May 20, 2021 3:21 AM

True R7

by Anonymousreply 95May 20, 2021 3:22 AM

You can tell they edited the number by the varying number of broken rhinestone strands on the floor.

by Anonymousreply 96May 20, 2021 3:24 AM

[quote]True R7

That makes two posters who don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 97May 20, 2021 3:25 AM

Cher wore a version of that dress. I think she was on the cover of Time magazine wearing it. In her version the dress had a lot less sequins and was much more revealing. She looked nude in it and I guess that was the desired effect. She was on some talk show where she talked about attending some Hollywood function in it and she said a man approached her and asked "How does it feel to be out in public naked?" She was seemingly shocked by that; she tried to explain that yes, that dress showed everything but it didn't REALLY show everything. Anyway, it didn't stop her from going out in public with all her parts visible. I remember her at some skating ring wearing a top you could see through and no bra. Well, that was Cher. And being nearly nude in public is pretty much kind of standard now. At awards shows you see female celebrities (no male ones) with their parts out there for all the world to see. Ho-hum.

by Anonymousreply 98May 20, 2021 3:31 AM

I love those chorus boys. Anyone had them/any? Any good?

by Anonymousreply 99May 20, 2021 4:48 AM

[quote]Amy Sedaris in a thread about Mitzi Gaynor? Just no.

Sweetie, the tread is called... the greatest performance by a DRESS in television history, not some one movie hit wonder glorified Vegas showgirl.

by Anonymousreply 100May 20, 2021 9:45 AM

Revoke my gay card if you must but I didn't really know much about Mitzi Gaynor before this thread. Sure, the name was familiar but I've never seen South Pacific let alone any of her TV specials. Now that I've gone down the rabbit hole of YouTube videos I can say that I'm obsessed with her. She seems to have parlayed her talent through sheer force of will into a decades long career. And so many people that have worked with her go on and on about how delightful and genuine she is - which I assume is why I can't recall ever coming across any gossip or scandal involving her.

by Anonymousreply 101July 5, 2021 4:18 AM

sex-oooooooooooo!

by Anonymousreply 102July 5, 2021 4:24 AM

Mackie made the mentioned Cher dress, the outfit she's pictured in,Tina's pictured outfit and of course Mitzi's costumes.

by Anonymousreply 103July 5, 2021 6:20 AM

Happy 90th Mitzi!

by Anonymousreply 104September 4, 2021 7:34 AM

R9 "Love the dress - it reminds me of Marilyn's when she sang to JFK"

Surely Marlene Dietrich wore it first in the late 50s?

Wiki describes it as Marlene Dietrich's celebrated beaded souffle stagewear for her cabaret world tours

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105September 4, 2021 7:44 AM

R31 Seems like I read somewhere that for all the serious design he's done, he regrets that he's going to be remembered for a novelty dress.

by Anonymousreply 106September 4, 2021 7:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!