Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Actors who would have had better careers if they were not giant tools

Sam Heughan

When I see him he looks like such a movie star, but then he acts like such a desperate tool on his social media. You can drop the Scotch cosplay, it was novel for like a minute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79April 3, 2021 3:22 PM

Alex Pettyfer owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 1April 1, 2021 3:33 PM

Actually I don’t think Pettyfer would have had a great career even if he was a nice person, he can’t act.

by Anonymousreply 2April 1, 2021 3:35 PM

Men in Kilts. His tush (bare) is pretty nice. He’s adorable.

by Anonymousreply 3April 1, 2021 3:37 PM

[quote]Actually I don’t think Pettyfer would have had a great career even if he was a nice person, he can’t act.

Yeah, but he really was that gorgeous at one time that his acting ability probably wasn't a consideration.

by Anonymousreply 4April 1, 2021 3:42 PM

[quote]Actually I don’t think Pettyfer would have had a great career even if he was a nice person, he can’t act.

Plenty of people have had great careers who couldn't act but those people are usually nice to work with which is why they keep getting work.

See: Keanu Reeves, Megan Fox, Nicholas Cage

by Anonymousreply 5April 1, 2021 3:51 PM

He's had a good career but it may be over: Johnny Depp.

by Anonymousreply 6April 1, 2021 3:53 PM

I was never a fan of Miles Teller, but after WHIPLASH the Hollywood powers that be seemed determined to make him happen. Then reports started circling about what a rude, egotistical dick he is, including an infamous ESQUIRE article that stated exactly that.

Homely AND obnoxious (and not overly talented, IMHO). But I think it was the obnoxious part that finally caught up with him.

PS: he has the infamous TOP GUN sequel still in the can. If that doesn't hit huge (it won't), he'll never, ever approach the A list again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 1, 2021 3:54 PM

Armie......

by Anonymousreply 8April 1, 2021 3:59 PM

Armie was a major dick of dubious talents (and no real box office clout) for SO long and in so many movies.

It's unbelievable that it took allegations of sexual assault and possibly worse to finally get him cancelled. No woman, and no one who wasn't a white straight male would ever have had his endless opportunities.

And yes. He's finally been cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 9April 1, 2021 4:04 PM

Yeah Miles Teller definitely lost out on opportunities when it came out what a douchebag he was r7. We will see if Top Gun makes him a star.

by Anonymousreply 10April 1, 2021 4:06 PM

Shia LaBeouf.

by Anonymousreply 11April 1, 2021 4:06 PM

Faye Dunaway. All her bad behavior caught up to her in the 80's and, while she still works every now and then, it's usually small cameos or supporting roles where people don't have to spend too much time with her.

by Anonymousreply 12April 1, 2021 4:16 PM

Faye isn’t a giant tool so much as genuinely crazy.

by Anonymousreply 13April 1, 2021 4:20 PM

Nicolas Cage is NICE TO WORK WITH?!

by Anonymousreply 14April 1, 2021 4:24 PM

R5: That’s true. A lot of actors have careers because they show up on time and are respectful.

by Anonymousreply 15April 1, 2021 4:35 PM

Bette Midler

Shelley Long

Katherine Heigl

Isaiah Washington

Charlie Sheen

by Anonymousreply 16April 1, 2021 4:39 PM

I don't think Charlie Sheen is a good example. He was enabled for decades.

by Anonymousreply 17April 1, 2021 4:40 PM

Miles Teller has the most punchable face. I’m glad he’s a jerk because I’d feel kind of bad hating someone based on their face if they were a nice guy. Seems like such a smug douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 18April 1, 2021 4:41 PM

Is Ansel ovah?

by Anonymousreply 19April 1, 2021 4:47 PM

Norma Desmond

by Anonymousreply 20April 1, 2021 4:59 PM

Heughan’s baseball bat like calves are problematic. Kilts are not his friends.

by Anonymousreply 21April 1, 2021 5:02 PM

[quote]Nicolas Cage is NICE TO WORK WITH?!

I should have made two lists instead of just saying "usually," with him it's more like he'll get your movie financed and he's never gone overboard enough that people won't work with him. Seems like a lot of (now former like Arnold and Segal) action stars can fit in that category.

I never thought Rob Lowe was a great actor. He was pretty. However, he was difficult. He apparently mellowed out and learned his lesson which is why he was able to book work steadily for the last few years. Amy Poehler would have never tolerated bullshit.

[quote]Isaiah Washington

This is a great one. The man has gravitas but pissing off Shonda Rhimes did him zero favors. You can put Katherine in the same boat but she's actually nice in person. She just seemed to make horrible decisions when dealing with the press and came off as up her own ass professionally.

by Anonymousreply 22April 1, 2021 5:03 PM

Shia: hold my beer...

by Anonymousreply 23April 1, 2021 5:06 PM

"Plenty of people have had great careers who couldn't act but those people are usually nice to work with which is why they keep getting work."

Like Octavia Spencer! She's not a truly bad actress, just a mediocre, unimaginative one. Mo'Nique is far more talented and would be eligible to play all of Spencer's roles if she and "Daddy" weren't such pains in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 24April 1, 2021 5:10 PM

Picturing Mo'Nique in Spencer's role in Ma is fucking terrifying. She was scary enough in Precious. It's really a shame Mo'Nique has been labeled difficult, because her performance in Precious is truly one of the greatest performances I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 25April 1, 2021 5:45 PM

Miles Teller, because he is really talented with a strong screen presence.

by Anonymousreply 26April 1, 2021 5:57 PM

Ansel is a giant tool but his career was derailed more by WSS being shelved for so long rather than his toolery.

by Anonymousreply 27April 1, 2021 6:02 PM

Seth Rogen doesn't like Nicholas Cage. Don't know where this myth comes from that the guy is nice (to work with). He's a total mess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28April 1, 2021 6:06 PM

Sorry, Seth Rogen doesn't like Nicolas Cage.

by Anonymousreply 29April 1, 2021 6:07 PM

That article doesn't support the claim. Rogen said that he met with Cage just before the pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 30April 1, 2021 6:16 PM

Sam Heugan was once on an episode of Midsomer Murders and he was so hot I would have pulled his pants down right in middle of Midsomer Parva and pleasure him in front of that lazy frau Joyce Barnby!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 1, 2021 6:17 PM

Huh? Seth doesn't like Nic, because he's all kinds of crazy.

by Anonymousreply 32April 1, 2021 6:18 PM

Over 30 replies and no one mentioned Tom Hiddleston?

by Anonymousreply 33April 1, 2021 6:23 PM

Anyway the reasons are very different, Sam Heughan doesn't have a reputation to be difficult to work with but faking being straight all the time makes him look like a fool.

Miles Teller on the other hand is the typical hollywood actor who thinks he is way better than he really is, add the fact that he has no box office power and he is not even hot and the moment he pissed the wrong person he is toast

by Anonymousreply 34April 1, 2021 6:24 PM

Paging Miss Kate Jackson! Miss Kate Jackson to the courtesy phone!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 1, 2021 9:35 PM

John Wilkes Booth

by Anonymousreply 36April 1, 2021 9:40 PM

Lea "I'm Proud to be a CUNT" Michele

by Anonymousreply 37April 1, 2021 10:26 PM

[quote] Sam Heugan was once on an episode of Midsomer Murders

Was he still a homosexual in those days?

by Anonymousreply 38April 1, 2021 10:29 PM

[quote]Seth Rogen doesn't like Nicholas Cage. Don't know where this myth comes from that the guy is nice (to work with). He's a total mess.

R28, Sethe says Nick Cage doesn't like Seth Rogan. Not that Seth doesn't like Nick Cage. There's a difference. These articles always leave out details, fail to do research and parse the hell out of quotes that were taken from other articles that also parsed the quotes.

When asked about Cage and the Green Hornet, Rogen said:

[quote]Yeah, that shit was crazy. Which is funny, because in retrospect maybe what he’d wanted to do wouldn’t have been any worse — the movie didn’t turn out so great, so maybe he would’ve made it crazier. Which would’ve at least been interesting.

[quote]So then we were going to have a big dinner with Nicolas Cage at Amy Pascal’s house to talk about the movie. And I remember driving to the dinner with Evan and saying, “If he does the white Bahamian thing at the dinner, I’m going to lose it.” [Laughs.] I was like, “I can’t deal with being face-to-face with Nicolas Cage as he’s doing a Bahamian accent.” ... Within 20 minutes of getting to the dinner he’s fully doing it.

[quote][bold]Was the accent good?[/bold] It was good! But I think he could so viscerally tell that we didn’t like the idea that he just left right in the middle of dinner. He was just like, “I gotta go.” It was as if I just stood up right now with you and walked out. That’s how abrupt it was. Then he called me two days after that and said, “I’m getting the sense that you don’t want me in this movie.” That’s what happened. But God bless Nicolas Cage. I’m a huge fan.

And Cage asking him for a meeting right before the pandemic and Seth being fine with it again doesn't indicate that Seth doesn't like him. Cage is weird but I'd wager he knew they had been making fun of him.

Anyways, I don't want to turn this into a Nick Cage thread. Point is, you really have to source quotes and read the article more now than ever in news.

by Anonymousreply 39April 1, 2021 10:53 PM

Wentworth Miller

by Anonymousreply 40April 1, 2021 11:03 PM

R39 "anyways"

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 41April 1, 2021 11:12 PM

[quote] Wentworth Miller

How is he a tool?

by Anonymousreply 42April 1, 2021 11:15 PM

R24: She absolutely deserved Octavia’s career. Octavia can only play a sassy black woman with a heart of gold.

by Anonymousreply 43April 1, 2021 11:15 PM

Taron Egerton

by Anonymousreply 44April 1, 2021 11:53 PM

Monique.

Sean Young

Kathy Griffin

Vince Vaughn

by Anonymousreply 45April 2, 2021 12:02 AM

R41, Yes. I said "anyways" and I meant "anyways." If I wanted to say "anyway," I would have.

It has existed as "anyways" for about 800 years (whether you like it or not) and today, it is often used as "slang" to dismiss a subject completely.

"Oh, dear," yourself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46April 2, 2021 12:24 AM

Never defend poor grammer or bad spelling, here! I do it on pourpoise! Just to piss off the grammer nazis!

by Anonymousreply 47April 2, 2021 12:35 AM

The ugly bitchy dude from Girls and Star Wars.

by Anonymousreply 48April 2, 2021 2:05 AM

Val Kilmer

Ed Norton

by Anonymousreply 49April 2, 2021 2:15 AM

the entire Arquette clan the Gilberts the Rosies the Alcoholics the decent dramatic actors addicted to comedy the comediennes the various pop starlets & other divas turned actresses the slept their way to the bottom the #MeToos the bottoms still claiming they were typecast the Coreys most feminists, all lesbians the anorexics the cast of friends the cast of fame/glee the spouses of celebs reality show dlisters the models

by Anonymousreply 50April 2, 2021 2:47 AM

Matthew Fox and Thomas Gibson

by Anonymousreply 51April 2, 2021 3:29 AM

Yes Tom Huddleston. After that golden globe speech he gave it was just over. Egotistical, out of touch and possibly dumb revealed in one acceptance speech when your career was on the ascendence.

by Anonymousreply 52April 2, 2021 3:37 AM

Debra Winger

by Anonymousreply 53April 2, 2021 3:53 AM

Everyone has identified all the top contenders. So many celebs ruin otherwise good careers with diva antics and unprofessional behavior. Most big celebs who work regularly are known for being nice and professional for the most part.

Are there any celebs who got “punished” but made a comeback and changed their ways?

by Anonymousreply 54April 2, 2021 3:59 AM

Brett Butler was on a sitcom a while back? Recurring?

by Anonymousreply 55April 2, 2021 4:00 AM

It seems Sam Heughan is to play Paul Newman in the untitled biopic of Patricia Neal and Roald Dahl.

The biopic of Patricia Neal and Roald Dahl has already been made.

by Anonymousreply 56April 2, 2021 4:09 AM

R56 Wow, i know Sam is goodlooking but he is miles behind Paul Newman not only on looks but on charisma too

by Anonymousreply 57April 2, 2021 10:24 AM

R22 was Arnold known for being difficult??

R52 i think the "relationship" with Swift did more damage.

by Anonymousreply 58April 2, 2021 2:27 PM

Debra Winger, yes. In the early 80s, she was a decent actress with a refreshingly natural look and manner, but not necessarily a brilliant one.

Her first infamous clash was with Richard Gere on AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN. Okay, they didn't get along. And perhaps Gere was being an asshole.

Then she clashed (more notably) with Shirley on TERMS OF ENDEARMENT. Well, Shirley's a little nuts. So okay.

Then she fought with Robert Redford on LEGAL EAGLES. We're seeing a pattern here.

If your colleagues keep turning out to be assholes, perhaps the asshole is you.

by Anonymousreply 59April 2, 2021 2:51 PM

R52 "What I have for free is that I can't turn off my intelligence".

by Anonymousreply 60April 2, 2021 2:54 PM

[R5] Cage USED to actually act; he's quite good in Leaving Las Vegas, Moonstruck, and Peggy Sue Got Married. But that was a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 61April 2, 2021 2:59 PM

Yes his acting is quiet hammy now. He just plays variations oh the same character in different movies. The last decent movie I saw him in was Joe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62April 2, 2021 3:05 PM

DL your link share needs a tune up :)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63April 2, 2021 3:07 PM

[Quote] It seems Sam Heughan is to play Paul Newman in the untitled biopic of Patricia Neal and Roald Dahl.

Cameo part? How sweet.

by Anonymousreply 64April 2, 2021 4:50 PM

[quote]was Arnold known for being difficult??

Are you kidding? He pissed and shit all over the set. And such a HAM!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65April 2, 2021 10:08 PM

Judge Reinhold - After [italic]Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Stripes[/italic] and [italic]Ruthless People[/italic], he looked set for a good career as a comic actor. He annoyed too many people. He still works, but he's barely visible now.

by Anonymousreply 66April 3, 2021 12:15 AM

Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 67April 3, 2021 12:31 AM

Sam’s issue isn’t his acting or thirsty social media posts , it’s his weird MOLES. He could be so James Bond-ified if he didn’t have those unsightly bumps on his otherwise fuckable face. Reminds me of that annoying cunt Busy Phillips. Straight off, her name is BUSY, so she’s already on my “thank u next” list but then it’s the multiple moles on her face and neck that just make me want to vomit. She is PROUD of them. They’re UGLY MARKS not BEAUTY MARKS Bitch , stop trying to “take ownership of my flaws”.

by Anonymousreply 68April 3, 2021 1:37 AM

Busy is a nickname.

by Anonymousreply 69April 3, 2021 1:43 AM

Debra Winger gave us this...

She owes us nothing else - EVAH.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70April 3, 2021 2:07 AM

I think Sam is doing just fine with his career right now. I also think he's hot and don't give a shit whether he's gay or straight. he seems like a fun person and i enjoy looking at him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71April 3, 2021 2:26 AM

Who uses "closeted homosexual" in this decade?!

by Anonymousreply 72April 3, 2021 2:37 AM

R71,Heughan posted that IG rant to distract the attention from his last year's Hawaiian fiasco

Couldn’t he have much more simply clammed up about his private life and just kept it that way? Silence and existing largely under the radar is possible. His endless games being played out on SM around the clock…cryptic/stupid photos and videos….cringeworthy sexualized selfies…. ridiculous beardings....ALL amidst a devastating worldwide crisis and in at least, ethical violation of travel/stay at home mandates….just strikes me as hopeless narcissism and completely indefensible.

And if this wasn't enough, Heughan also said in his rant that he 'was not a closet-homosexual but a normal guy'.

What straight man would be creating so much drama FFS?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73April 3, 2021 2:57 AM

Are they still trying to make box office bomb Jon Hamm happen?

by Anonymousreply 74April 3, 2021 3:11 AM

R74 nope

by Anonymousreply 75April 3, 2021 4:44 AM

[Quote] He could be so James Bond-ified if he didn’t have those unsightly bumps on his otherwise fuckable face

Moles were not a problem for Roger Moore

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76April 3, 2021 5:06 AM

David Caruso, a prick on and off the set

by Anonymousreply 77April 3, 2021 5:18 AM

Shannen Doherty. She’s an interesting one because nothing she did sounds really so bad in hindsight. Maybe I’m just not privy to all of it.

by Anonymousreply 78April 3, 2021 5:26 AM

Shannen Doherty was a brat on BH90210, but she'd later acknowledge as much. She clashed on CHARMED with Alysa Milano (apparently, each had been told they were THE lead on the show) and Rose McGowan. She's since made up with Milano.

Considering what a ruthless and mean bag of crazy Rose McGowan has since been revealed to be, I'm cutting Shannen some slack.

by Anonymousreply 79April 3, 2021 3:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!