Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

We Need to Talk About the AstraZeneca Vaccine

For the moment, reports of a very rare, dangerous blood disorder among recipients cannot be ignored.

The AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine is indispensable right now. As one of the first vaccines out of the gate, it’s been at the center of the World Health Organization’s plan to roll out some 2 billion doses to 92 nations by the end of the year. It’s also one of just a handful of vaccines that are already being produced and distributed on such a massive scale that they might change the near-term course of the pandemic.

That’s why the past few weeks have felt so catastrophic.

The run of bad news might have seemed, at first, to be short-lived. Earlier this month, regulators in more than 20 European countries suspended distribution of the AstraZeneca vaccine. The English-language media cited scattered reports of “blood clots” in recipients as the reason. A few days later, though, the European Medicines Agency’s expert committee weighed in to recommend the vaccine’s continued use. With COVID-19 case rates surging across Europe and more than 3,000 deaths a day, the group concluded that its benefits far outweighed any known or potential risks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 7, 2021 2:08 PM

Well, if the AstraZeneca vaccine has problems, I guess that means we should stop ALL vaccines, right?

I guess the anti-vaxxers were right all along, right?

by Anonymousreply 1April 1, 2021 12:24 AM

I'm part of the AZ trial in the US and so far, in the 4 1/2 months I've been on it, I've had no issues to report. My biggest concern with it is that if it isn't approved for usage in the US, will I still be recognized as have gotten a COVID-19 vaccine by the state/feds for a vaccine passport for example or will I have to get a jab from another vaccine that has been approved.

by Anonymousreply 2April 1, 2021 12:25 AM

AZ may be the best vaccine, ultimately.

by Anonymousreply 3April 1, 2021 12:32 AM

I warned you!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 1, 2021 12:34 AM

Germany has once again suspended using the AstraZeneca vaccine on anyone under the age of 60.

There seems to be a lot of ongoing bad press and issues with the AstraZeneca vaccine which is doing deep damage to public confidence in it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 1, 2021 12:36 AM

each side screaming "SCIENCE" at the other

by Anonymousreply 6April 1, 2021 12:38 AM

EMA concluded that rare and deadly blood clots are a side effect from the vaccine and will now list it as a side effect. Great news. Kudos to the Norwegian doctors who were able to find the link.

by Anonymousreply 7April 7, 2021 2:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!