Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The disappearance of Kristin Smart

Have any of you followed this case? It’s both fascinating and maddening. The podcast In Your Own Backyard covers it fairly exhaustively.

Smart was a 19-year old student at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA who vanished after attending a party in 1996. The prime suspect, a creepy guy named Paul Flores who was supposed to be walking her home, is almost certainly responsible and his father likely helped him hide/bury the body, but police haven’t been able to get enough evidence to nail him.

The podcast really renewed interest in the case and police have gotten search warrants to search several of the Flores family’s properties in the last year or two and they’re now combing through all the shit they confiscated. It’s almost certain that Smart’s body is buried either in an avocado grove on Paul’s father’s property, or in Paul’s mother’s backyard, underneath a garage that was constructed on the property after the disappearance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 19, 2022 12:28 AM

I was going to say I remembered this case but then I realized I was thinking of Elizabeth Smart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 31, 2021 11:12 PM

Yes, people often mix up the two cases, but they’re very different.

by Anonymousreply 2April 1, 2021 1:43 AM

This thread has made me look up other unresolved mysteries.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 2, 2021 10:45 PM

Yeah, i almost bypassed this thread thinking it was the long-resolved Elizabeth Smart case.

by Anonymousreply 4April 2, 2021 10:48 PM

[quote]It’s almost certain that Smart’s body is buried either in an avocado grove

There are worse places.

by Anonymousreply 5April 2, 2021 10:51 PM

"Let me walk you home!"

by Anonymousreply 6April 2, 2021 10:59 PM

drunk female alone with some random guy after 2 other people left. he admits he didn't even have the decency to walk her all the way back to her dorm...this was a girl who was completely passed out outside. Would she really been in a state to get herself all the way back to her dorm?

by Anonymousreply 7April 2, 2021 11:09 PM

They’ve finally arrested the son of a bitch and his father and are pulling up the deck at his father’s house!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 13, 2021 6:14 PM

I'm originally from the Central Coast area and was a student at Cal Poly in the early 90s, just a few years before Kristin Smart attended and disappeared. This case has always been so heartbreaking to me. Same as with the Laci and Scott Peterson murder case, two other Cal Poly students from my era at the school. Just so utterly senseless, unnecessary, and tragic.

It's a relief to know that Paul and Ruben Flores are finally in custody and charged in Kristin's death. I'm surprised that Susan Flores hasn't also been charged, as it's widely believed Kristin's body may have initially been buried at Susan's home. Perhaps the investigation is still ongoing and further action may come.

The "Your Own Backyard" podcast that OP mentions is an excellent series on Kristin's case, and its producer Chris Lambert deserves much credit for breathing new national interest into this cold case. Now, Godspeed to the prosecutors and jurors.

by Anonymousreply 9April 14, 2021 11:43 PM

Today, prosecutors have stated broadly what they’re alleging.

1.) Flores killed Smart in his dorm room during an attempted rape.

2.) Flores’s father helped him remove and dispose of the body.

3.) Prosecutors believe they know where the body is located but haven’t found it yet.

Also, there is evidence that Flores committed three other sexual assaults over the years.

I have no doubt that they’ll find her body. It sounds like it’s somewhere on the father’s property.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 14, 2021 11:47 PM

R9 same here, I graduated in the early 90’s and moved back there in 1999. I drove by her missing billboard in town thousands of times with sadness. I don’t understand what took so long to arrest this creep, his repulsive father along with him. Hope the family can get the closure they have been waiting for all these years.

by Anonymousreply 11April 14, 2021 11:53 PM

[quote] I'm surprised that Susan Flores hasn't also been charged

I’m not sure what I think about Kristin’s body ever being on her property, but I don’t think Susan was told about the murder right away and she probably didn’t have anything to do with hiding the body. It’s scummy that she’s known about it all this time and has chosen to keep her mouth shut, but there’s nothing they could really charge her with.

by Anonymousreply 12April 14, 2021 11:55 PM

R12 There were tenants who lived in Susan Flores' house from mid-1996 to 1997, moving in within weeks of Kristin Smart's disappearance.

Mary Lassiter, one of the tenants, was interviewed for Your Own Backyard. She mentions strange events occurring pretty much right away upon moving into Susan Flores' house:

>> A brand new flower bed outside a bedroom window, with a fresh concrete bottom that (of course) did not enable flowers to thrive as they could not get enough nutrients.

>> A beeping noise each morning in the wee early hours coming from the area of the new concrete flower bed, believed to be a watch alarm. This beeping stopped after a few weeks, perhaps when the watch battery died. At the time of Kristin's disappearance, she was coaching early morning swimming and it's speculated this could have been her alarm to wake up and get to coaching.

>> An earring found outside on the property with what looked like a bit of dried blood on it. The earring was later lost in SLO Sheriff's custody, but as Lassiter described it, it apparently resembled one of Kristin's favorite earrings.

The Sheriffs Department at that time bungled many things in the earliest phases of the investigation, but there could be probable cause that Susan Flores has known about Kristin's fate from the very beginning and may also be complicit in helping to dispose of her body if any of these events on her property are traced to Kristin's remains having been buried there. Check out the podcast, it's very well produced.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 15, 2021 12:11 AM

I’ve listened to the podcast. I’m a little skeptical of the watch story, but I wonder if Kristin’s clothes/jewelry could’ve been buried at Susan’s place and her body been buried at Ruben’s.

by Anonymousreply 14April 15, 2021 12:29 AM

I started the podcast today (I’m on episode three) and it’s infuriating how incompetent the campus police were. Smart’s mother was exactly right when she said they were treating the case like a lost bicycle, not a missing person. They just decided that she went away for a few days with friends- despite leaving all her personal belongings in her dorm, and didn’t file a missing person report for four days.

That was plenty of time for Flores and his father to get rid of evidence.

And the regular cops weren’t much better. I just heard the part where the tenant of the mother’s house talked about the found earring, and the cops decided it wasn’t Smart’s and that it belonged to a child. Wtf? And, then they lost it.

Unbelievable. I’m sure it’s only going to make me angrier as I hear more about the dad’s involvement.

I hope they can find the girl’s body.

by Anonymousreply 15April 15, 2021 12:49 AM

R12 / R14 I suppose that's possible too. Respect your skepticism over the watch story. I'm inclined to believe the Lassiters because they have no apparent reason to lie about it, or anything else related to the case.

As I recall, Mary Lassiter also said in this episode that Susan Flores became a real Grade A bitch during the short time that they rented her house. I believe Mary said that Susan either sued or tried to get some other court order forbidding the Lassiters from allowing the authorities access to the property, but she lost that bid since by law the Lassiters had reasonable possession of the property for the term that Susan leased it to them. So naturally, the Lassiters pulled a "fuck you Susan" and cooperated fully with the sheriff until they moved out of the house, the sheriff department's incompetence at the time notwithstanding.

by Anonymousreply 16April 15, 2021 12:49 AM

Why have they arrested Flores? New evidence?

by Anonymousreply 17April 15, 2021 12:52 AM

R17, Yes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 15, 2021 1:09 AM

If I had a daughter, and my last name were “Smart,” I’d change it — pronto!

by Anonymousreply 19April 15, 2021 1:14 AM

I don’t think the Lassiters are lying, I just think there might be another explanation for what they heard. Or, maybe they buried only buried Kristin’s watch, jewelry, and clothes at Susan’s.

The Lassiters didn’t just allow the search, they gave a statement at a deposition when Kristin’s parents filed a civil suit against Paul. Susan evicted them in retaliation.

by Anonymousreply 20April 15, 2021 2:00 AM

Her two "friends" who left her with Flores are scum.

by Anonymousreply 21April 15, 2021 2:07 AM

They weren’t her friends. It was two other students who didn’t know her but were walking with her back to the dorm.

I bet the girl who trusted Flores to bring Smart back to her dorm has called herself worse than scum over the years. I think she and her friend group were familiar with Flores and called him Chester the Molester. She absolutely should have known better than to leave a drunk/incapacitated girl alone with him.

But I can kind of understand it- it was three am and she was tired and wanted to go to her room and trusted that Flores would get smart the short distance to her room.

by Anonymousreply 22April 15, 2021 2:24 AM

Hold up, R21. The two other students aren't responsible for what Paul Flores did to Kristin. Only Paul Flores is responsible for that.

I'm sure these two reflect all the time with "what ifs." Kristin's dorm roommate says she does, in terms of her choice to go back to the dorm and let Kristin party alone. This must be an enormous burden on the conscience. I hope justice is reached in this case and offers them some peace, along with Kristin's family too.

by Anonymousreply 23April 15, 2021 2:26 AM

[quote] Smart’s mother was exactly right when she said they were treating the case like a lost bicycle, not a missing person.

There has been a sea change in how missing persons cases, as well as rape/sexual assault cases are treated just since the 1990s. It used to be common practice to not file a missing persons case until the person had been missing for sometimes several days, or even longer. I don’t think many jurisdictions are doing that anymore.

It’s kind of jarring to read some of the reporting about Kristin’s disappearance at the time she went missing. There’s a lot of focus on how she was intoxicated, how she went to the party alone, how she was seen talking to several different men and being flirtatious...the insinuation being that she was a drunken floozy who shouldn’t have been out gallivanting. That simply would not fly today, and rightly so.

by Anonymousreply 24April 15, 2021 3:24 PM

How stupid is the killer and his family that they found evidence around the house 25 years later??

by Anonymousreply 25April 15, 2021 7:11 PM

That is true r24 and I think I heard that because of this case campus police now have to report someone missing after 24 hours. I tend to forget things were different in the 90’s.

by Anonymousreply 26April 15, 2021 8:01 PM

R9 thank you! I started the podcast at your recommendation - it’s so good and so frustrating at how the case was handled given that we now know the outcome.

by Anonymousreply 27April 15, 2021 9:59 PM

I just finished Chris Lambert's Your Own Backyard podcast. This is one of the most professional, well-researched, and expertly produced podcasts. So exhaustive and compelling. On top of everything, this incredible production led to advancements in the Kristin Smart case which finally resulted in the arrest of Paul Flores and his father. If you appreciate true crime and podcasts, I highly recommend this. Just incredible.

by Anonymousreply 28October 15, 2021 3:33 PM

It took more than 26 years, but justice was served for Kristin Smart today. ❤️

I hope we hear from the jurors in Ruben's trial, so we can understand where they deadlocked and had no choice but to acquit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 18, 2022 11:48 PM

Jean Smart is missing??

by Anonymousreply 30October 19, 2022 12:05 AM

R30 Hush your mouth! I need seasons 3, 4, and 5 of Hacks!

by Anonymousreply 31October 19, 2022 12:16 AM

Paul Flores convicted for 1996 murder of Kristin Smart, dad acquitted

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 19, 2022 12:20 AM

Two disgusting murderers at the same college at the same time? Ugh, America.

by Anonymousreply 33October 19, 2022 12:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!