Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

1970s Ethel Merman

The old gal was really hustling for the $$$ in the 1970s. Was she not paid well? Certainly she had some money from being Mrs. Six?

Those poor children must have been scarred for life. “Mommy, you said we were going to see The Hues Corporation.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 24, 2021 4:01 AM

Desperate

by Anonymousreply 1March 30, 2021 2:38 PM

Maybe she did it for fun, not in desperation for money.

by Anonymousreply 2March 30, 2021 3:32 PM

The audience seems to be black women only. What was that about? Segregation?

by Anonymousreply 3March 30, 2021 3:37 PM

I have just never understood the whole Ethel Merman thing.

She seems like your fat neighbour lady who's loud and sings in her kitchen. And somehow got to Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 4March 30, 2021 3:58 PM

[quote]Certainly she had some money from being Mrs. Six?

Talk about false advertising! He was 4-and-a-half, even on his best day.

by Anonymousreply 5March 30, 2021 5:07 PM

[quote]She seems like your fat neighbour lady who's loud and sings in her kitchen.

Actually that was her appeal.

by Anonymousreply 6March 30, 2021 5:22 PM

Stars very rarely decide that they've had enough of stardom.

by Anonymousreply 7March 30, 2021 6:30 PM

Ethel had a brain tumor, some say that explains her outrageous behavior and choices. She didn't get much money from Bob Six, who emotionally and physically abused Ethel, her parents(!), and children. He had serious BDF.

Funny story: While rehearsing a guest appearance on The Loretta Young Show, Merman exclaimed "Where the hell does this go?" Young, who was a devout Catholic, advanced towards her waving an empty coffee can, saying "Come on, Ethel. You know my rules. That'll cost you a dollar." To which Merman replied "Tell me, Loretta, how much will it cost me to tell you to go fuck yourself?"

by Anonymousreply 8March 30, 2021 7:11 PM

Actually, R6, I just watched her (Tom Brokaw on NBC News) obituary, in which he said “considered by many to be the greatest musical theatre actress of all time.” She was the favorite singer of both Cole Porter and Irving Berlin; George Gershwin inscribed a photo to her “a lucky composer is he who has you singing his songs”; Jule Styne referred to her as “the best”; Stephen Sondheim said she was “thrilling” in Gypsy; Jerry Herman wrote Hello, Dolly for her; Richard Rodgers said one of his greatest regrets was never getting to hear her sing one of his scores….so, though she may have become a bit of a caricature of herself by the 70s, and may be hard to understand by people who didn’t experience her, (especially live) her Broadway stardom was not a fluke.

by Anonymousreply 9July 24, 2021 2:57 AM

R7

Exactly what I was thinking......

by Anonymousreply 10July 24, 2021 2:59 AM

She was always fun, upbeat, and professional. I like her shimmy dancing in this performance. I think a much bigger rack would have improved her look.

by Anonymousreply 11July 24, 2021 3:12 AM

Ethel Merman started on Broadway in 1930. In those days you had to have a big voice to be heard through the orchestra without a mic. She performed with tremendous energy, which came across the footlights and grabbed the audience. She can be forgiven for not being relevant in the (and her) seventies.

by Anonymousreply 12July 24, 2021 4:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!