Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why do some people say Courtney Love killed Kurt Cobain?

Is it just an ugly rumor or based on any facts?

by Anonymousreply 207April 14, 2021 1:10 AM

Burn The Witch bullshit, Yoko Broke Up The Beatles, Killary, Curb Stomp JK Rowling, etc. We live in a patriarchy and patriarchy hates women.

by Anonymousreply 1March 26, 2021 5:33 AM

I remember falling down a rabbit hole of documentaries centered on this theory. I never looked at Courtney the same again.

The song “Violet,” which I absolutely love, is apropos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 26, 2021 5:33 AM

Also, Tori Amos’ “Professional Widow,” which is said to be an “ode” to Courtney - one Amos wrote after, as Trent Reznor once admitted, “some malicious meddling on the part of Courtney Love” - is also fitting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 26, 2021 5:41 AM

^ I forgot to mention that Tori and Trent had grown extremely close after meeting because of their mutual admiration for one another and their work. Trent admitted to listening to Amos’ solo debut [italic]Little Earthquakes[/italic] “everyday” while recording [italic]The Downward Spiral[/italic], and sang backup vocals on Amos’ second album [italic]Under the Pink[/italic]. Once Love got involved - she and Reznor had a brief affair - Amos and Reznor’s friendship ended.

Reznor titled one of his songs after a lyric - “starfuckers” - in “Professional Widow.”

Here’s an interesting doc centered on her killing Kurt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 26, 2021 5:50 AM

I heard Madonna started the rumor.

by Anonymousreply 5March 26, 2021 5:50 AM

The Kurt and Courtney documentary raised some eyebrows. The director was obviously on a mission to go after Courtney, but from that film I learned that they found a page in Courtney’s backpack with practice writing of the alphabet on it similar to the writing seem in Kurt’s “suicide” note and we learned that he’d been afraid of Courtney and recently bought a gun, per his friend or manny, don’t recall which.

Watch Kurt and Courtney and come back and tell us what you think.

by Anonymousreply 6March 26, 2021 5:50 AM

I think people were more in disbelief that he settled for her.

by Anonymousreply 7March 26, 2021 5:53 AM

Here’s another fascinating doc about this which used to be available for free on YouTube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 26, 2021 5:54 AM

I know, she held the gun, but he pulled the trigger.

by Anonymousreply 9March 26, 2021 5:54 AM

El Duce claimed Courtney asked him to kill Kurt (from the doc “Kurt & Courtney”).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 26, 2021 5:56 AM

R6 So fucking creepy.

by Anonymousreply 11March 26, 2021 5:57 AM

I think this is why it took her so long to get sober snd stay sober. Plus the sabotaging of her music and film careers. She’s plagued by guilt.

by Anonymousreply 12March 26, 2021 5:59 AM

One of the very first AP report's wire feeds suggested Courtney was implicated in Kurt's homicide.

by Anonymousreply 13March 26, 2021 6:01 AM

I don't know if she actually did it, but I 100% think she looked into it (hired somebody to do it or asked around) and/or had something to do with it (maybe didn't follow through, but made Kurt paranoid?).

There's just too much smoke around her for their not to be fire.

by Anonymousreply 14March 26, 2021 6:03 AM

has anyone watched the docu at r4 vs the one on Prime (which is unavailable in my area for some reason).

although scruffy (as was the fashion of the day), he was quite a hottie. obviously troubled though.

by Anonymousreply 15March 26, 2021 6:07 AM

R15 I’ve watched both. If nothing else, they point to the smoke R14 mentions. As morbid as this sounds, they’re also highly engrossing.

by Anonymousreply 16March 26, 2021 6:10 AM

R15, Kurt was stunning. He hid it for sure as he always thought of himself as this scrawny poor kid. Which, of course, made him even sexier.

by Anonymousreply 17March 26, 2021 6:17 AM

How big was Kurt's cock?

by Anonymousreply 18March 26, 2021 6:20 AM

R17 He really was. He could’ve modeled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19March 26, 2021 6:22 AM

agreed. his facial features had the golden triangle. beautiful eyes and face.

by Anonymousreply 20March 26, 2021 6:24 AM

Courtney Love is something of a narcissist and a sociopath. She interfered in Tori Amos and Trent Reznor’s friendship as well as Kurt Cobain’s budding relationship with Mary Lou Lord. She was a girl he met in Boston when Nirvana was not yet famous. She was present for the beginnings of their rise to stardom but Cunty Love made sure to put an end to their relationship. She claimed that Mary Lou was some sort of stalker with a crush, who blew Kurt in a van. Even Cobain went along with that bullshit to make Cunty happy. Cunty also supplied Kurt with lots of heroin to keep him happy and doped up so she could manipulate her way further into his life. I used to be a big fan of hers when I was a kid, while I don’t believe she murdered him, I do believe she is a piece of shit and a grifter. She uses people. She is a social climber and a thug.

by Anonymousreply 21March 26, 2021 6:34 AM

Maybe Courtney did the “your too chicken to really off yourself” like that chick did on the phone to her boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 22March 26, 2021 6:34 AM

Oh, i get it now. r19 chose the most unflattering pic of him. How about this one? Better looking than Brad Pitt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 26, 2021 6:36 AM

There is also a belief that Kurt wrote much of the material on Live Through This, as he was living with Courtney and Eric Erlandson at the time that album was being written. Erlandson and Love took full credit and claim to this day that Cobain was not part of it. Just give a listen to LTT and their earlier stuff. It’s like night and day. They are clearly not being entirely honest about Cobain’s contribution to that album.

by Anonymousreply 24March 26, 2021 6:39 AM

Misogyny

by Anonymousreply 25March 26, 2021 6:46 AM

r24 he was living through CL and EE's shit, it sounds like. CL was always a narcissistic user fucking waste of space human being. Even her own daughter hated her (they may be made up at this point, but if so, it's likely because she's a master manipulator).

He was already a bit of a sensitive soul. She just drilled a hole into him in whatever way she could, then threw him out with Sunday's trash to get her time in the light. Notice no real achievement since then.

by Anonymousreply 26March 26, 2021 6:47 AM

I don’t think Courtney had a direct role in it. Kurt was suffering from severe psychosympotamic stomach pains, a crippling heroin depression, fighting with his band mates at the time, and was severely depressed and burnt out by the fame. There were plenty of motives and contributing factors as to why he ended his life. I think people come up with conspiracies because it’s hard to fathom why someone so talented would take their life so young

by Anonymousreply 27March 26, 2021 6:54 AM

R26 I knew Cunty was truly awful when she accused her own daughter and Dave Grohl of fucking.

by Anonymousreply 28March 26, 2021 6:54 AM

R18, ask Krist Novoselic. He probably knows.

by Anonymousreply 29March 26, 2021 6:56 AM

sorry, 427 don't even believe she didn't have a direct role in it. she's a fucking loser. listen to the recorded tapes. i agree, he was delicate, but she totally took advantage of him in as many ways as she could. watch at least one of the docus.

by Anonymousreply 30March 26, 2021 6:57 AM

R25 how are you going to go and claim misogyny, when Riot Grrrl, Kathleen Hanna and Kim Gordon don’t even like her? People don’t like her because she is a sociopath. The murder conspiracy shit doesn’t seem that far fetched, even though I personally don’t believe it.

by Anonymousreply 31March 26, 2021 6:58 AM

R30 I’m not saying Courtney wasn’t difficult to deal with, no doubt she was. But Kurt wasn’t some delicate flower. He had his own issues aside from Courtney. A lot of these documentaries are scandalized to make dramatic content.

by Anonymousreply 32March 26, 2021 7:00 AM

People think Love killed Cobain because conspiracy theories simplify and organize the messy, complex, and chaotic world. People are also inclined to ad hominem reasoning, so because Love is whatever variation of a horrible human that she is, it’s easy for people to think she did it, regardless of the absence of evidence to that effect. It’s also the Michael Jackson Effect: he’s a bizarre weirdo, so he must be a pedo, no matter the utter lack of credible evidence that he ever molested anyone.

by Anonymousreply 33March 26, 2021 7:01 AM

r22/r33 he absolutely WAS a delicate flower and she absoLUTELY did exploit and use him to further herself. look it up...it's called being a sociopath. she's not exactly known by all her peers, even her own DAUGHTER, as being a librarian. she's a fucked up person who lommed on to a fucked up famous person to further herself. this shit happens all the time, even among the non-famous of us humans...to benefit from someone else's fortune. watch some reality tv (not the scripted ones) in case you haven't.

And the music world mourned his loss. as he said in one of these docus, he wanted to be the acoustic guy sitting on the porch playing songs he had written like Johnny Cash. He had hopes and dreams. And her claims of his suicide note(s) don't hold any water.

by Anonymousreply 34March 26, 2021 7:07 AM

R23 Unflattering? Bitch, please; he looks gorgeous in that pic.

by Anonymousreply 35March 26, 2021 7:08 AM

r35 i agree. i just thought previous poster was posting that happy/goofy photo as proof that he wasn't beautiful. IMO, he was beautiful inside and out. and i wasn't even a listener back in the 90's.

by Anonymousreply 36March 26, 2021 7:14 AM

R36 Not at all. I posted the pic because he looks ravishing in it.

by Anonymousreply 37March 26, 2021 7:17 AM

He was definitely a hidden beauty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38March 26, 2021 7:22 AM

Eyes, cheeks, lips...perfect proportions, despite the messy hair over his face. and that dimpled chin (and i'm not always a fan of the butt chin).

But honestly, i do appreciate him as an artist. Unplugged performances were raw and inspired. they became the pattern for what Unplugged was meant to be.

by Anonymousreply 39March 26, 2021 7:26 AM

"when i swear i don't have a gun, no i don't have a gun, no i don't have a gun, no i don't have a gun"...coinkydinky?

by Anonymousreply 40March 26, 2021 7:44 AM

She did it!

by Anonymousreply 41March 26, 2021 10:11 AM

Soaked In Bleach is a pretty compelling argument pointing in Courtney Love's possible role. Anyone who has looked into the circumstances of the death sees LOTS of holes in the story and suspicious activity around Courtney Love and in particular Kurt's druggy friend who allegedly supplied the gun AND found the body.

by Anonymousreply 42March 26, 2021 10:17 AM

R33 You're absolutely right about people using conspiracy theories to simplify the world. One excellent example is people refusing to believe Michael Jackson molested kids purely because they love his music. "Yes I know he's been accused multiple times, made multiple payoffs (chandler and the son of his housekeeper), went on trial for molestation twice, had eyewitness accounts of him touching boys, was obsessed with male children, never had a credible romantic or sexual relationship with another adult but it's all a conspiracy theory. Have you heard Thriller???".

This kind of thinking has always seems really weak to me. A real Michael Jackson fan would acknowledge his obvious pedophilia and continue listening to his music. Paul Gauguin loved underage girls but he still painted interesting art.

by Anonymousreply 43March 26, 2021 10:28 AM

*investigated by the police twice, on trial once

by Anonymousreply 44March 26, 2021 10:29 AM

I think Courtney is a sociopath and perhaps mentally ill. I think she's a narcissist and that perhaps she has borderline personality disorder. She was desperate for fame, constantly social climbing. When she saw she had a shot at the most famous rock star of the time, she grabbed it. I think she wanted to be part of a notoriously edgy, volatile super couple like Sid and Nancy, and Axl Rose and whoever, but she was somewhat bored with Kurt's introverted, calm, good behavior. When she read Kurt's suicide letter, she did so in front of a crowd, and she made it all about her. Even after she got famous, she still continued to obsessively namedrop during interviews.

But I don't think she killed Kurt. I think he suffered from social anxiety, which prevented him from connecting with people even though he was respected for his work and well-loved by fans. He suffered from low self-esteem. Novoselic said that Kurt believed he was ugly, and he couldn't stand to look at pictures of himself. In fact, he had one picture of himself he carried in his wallet; it was the only picture that he could tolerate to look at, and he was proud of it. This could have been the result of having been bullied in school; even though his face was exceptionally pretty, he grew up in a rural town that prized macho manliness. Kurt didn't fit in because he was thin, introverted, and sensitive. From the outside, his life seemed perfect. He was making a living through his dream job. He was talented, and his work was respected by fans, peers and critics. So, he was rich and famous. He was handsome. On a personal level, he was still on good terms with his family of origin, and he had a wife and a baby. But, he had a nagging feeling that he was a loser. The drugs, when the high wore off, exacerbated his feelings of unhappiness. Then he was likely ashamed of his addiction and felt guilty for not being able to give up drugs for his baby. Depression can become overwhelming, even for someone who has it all. For me, it's completely believable that Kurt would have committed suicide.

by Anonymousreply 45March 26, 2021 3:31 PM

I think her father had a lot to do with smearing her. I just don't believe she tried to kill him.

Scare him off the worst of his drug shit, maybe. And being an addict herself, didn't have clarity about how best to do that. But no, she wouldn't have murdered him.

by Anonymousreply 46March 26, 2021 3:37 PM

Maybe she injected him with a speedball and when he overdosed, she covered it up by shooting him with a shotgun.

Or maybe he just killed himself. He seemed pretty depressed and was having awful stomach issues. He also said money wasn't making him happy anymore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47March 26, 2021 3:55 PM

Courtney was the instigator behind what happened. He was done with her and she made sure things went the way they went.

by Anonymousreply 48March 26, 2021 4:03 PM

I was good friends with Kurts paternal grandfather Leland Cobain. He also thought she kill his grandson. He told me he just had breakfast (at Ihop) with him a few days before and said Kurt was happy and upbeat.....me I'm not sure as suicide ran deep on both sides of the family

by Anonymousreply 49March 26, 2021 4:29 PM

Courtney is such a nut case. Do you believe she could have kept quiet about it all these years if she killed him.

by Anonymousreply 50March 26, 2021 4:47 PM

R50 Absolutely. She’s extremely shrewd.

by Anonymousreply 51March 26, 2021 5:02 PM

If you are ever bored, someone compiled all of Courtney Love’s posts from the old 90’s AOL forums. Some cool gossip in here. She’s a very entertaining writer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52March 26, 2021 6:24 PM

R52, I could barely get through the first post. First, she's a horrible typist. (Maybe because of drugs?) And, it's hard to follow her stream-of-thought style. There's a lot of name dropping (as expected) and shittalking towards celebs. And she hints that she's pregnant with Billy Corgan's baby, and that the baby was sneakily conceived while Billy's wife was in the room with them.

And all of that was from the FIRST paragraph from the FIRST post. Good lord.

by Anonymousreply 53March 26, 2021 7:18 PM

Courtney gaslit the shit out of Kurt, cheated on him with Billy Corgan, told him she'd call the cops and accuse him of domestic abuse if he didn't do what she wanted, and she misappropriated his funds after his death But she didn't kill him. Deep down Kurt was a masochist and Courtney is a sadist. Courtney tells the following story about how she first met Kurt: She went up to him and punched him in the stomach. He punched her back.

by Anonymousreply 54March 26, 2021 7:26 PM

R45 Don't forget that she idolized Stevie Nicks

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55March 26, 2021 7:38 PM

R55, actually, I don't ever remember Courtney ever mentioning Stevie Nicks until Fleetwood Mac blew up again in 1997 with the Dance reunion. (Before then, Fleetwood Mac was considered an uncool, dinosaur band.) Stevie became the coolest female rockstar in the world again, and Courtney started kissing her ass. Hard.

by Anonymousreply 56March 26, 2021 7:42 PM

R56 Fleetwood Mac is still uncool - look at all the vino sipping suburban boomer Karens who go to their shows - but Courtney covered Gold Dust Woman in 1996 and wrote Malibu for her way before 1997.

by Anonymousreply 57March 26, 2021 7:49 PM

R56 Courtney always had thing for Stevie Nicks. She was like Stevie Nicks on acid . Before Kurt she was performing Stevie covers.

by Anonymousreply 58March 26, 2021 7:54 PM

Many I'm friends with from our days in the early punk rock days in SF knew Love well, and none of them have anything good to report about her. She was a thief (stole money, drugs, and other items from roommates. Also owed $$ to lots of people who originally trusted her or gave her a chance ), went after other people's boyfriends, pathological liar, jard drug and alcohol abuser, and drama queen. I didn't know her myself, but I heard gossip about her for years. All those from her days in SF are 100% convinced she had something signfiicant to do with Curt's death.

by Anonymousreply 59March 26, 2021 8:01 PM

should have been "hard drug and alcohol abuser" not jard haha.

by Anonymousreply 60March 26, 2021 8:03 PM

R59 Lot's of male rock stars are like that, Kurt was a junkie who always made excuses and lived off his friends parasitically. Courtney's biggest crime is the whole professional widow schtick she pulled (ask Tori Amos) after Kurt killed himself. And the fact that she never owned up to banging other guys while married and doing drugs while pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 61March 26, 2021 8:56 PM

Courtney Love’s cunt has retractable teeth and a forked tongue.

by Anonymousreply 62March 26, 2021 9:00 PM

R52 Ha! Mentioning Tori 😂

by Anonymousreply 63March 26, 2021 9:04 PM

[quote] of Kurt, cheated on him with Billy Corgan,

Talk about a downgrade.

by Anonymousreply 64March 26, 2021 9:52 PM

She did the classic criminal ruse: "I wasn't there!". Checked herself into rehab in another state (*snicker*). Worked on his fragile mental state and got him hooked on hard drugs.

She made it her life goal to snag a "rock $tar". And she achieved it.

by Anonymousreply 65March 26, 2021 9:57 PM

Courtney Love forged Kurt's suicide note, that's pretty apparent.

by Anonymousreply 66March 26, 2021 10:40 PM

R66, that part is always so weird to me. Why would she do that, if she wasn't involved somehow?

I guess, if she was high, she might think he deserved a better send off than what he wrote himself? It's so strange. And we know she did forge it, or a part of it. It's a relatively easy thing to prove.

by Anonymousreply 67March 26, 2021 11:12 PM

Whatever you may think of Courtney, those who claim that Kurt couldn't possibly have killed himself because he seemed happy/in good spirits the day/week/month before it happened are the least persuasive. His death may have been shocking, but plenty of people die by suicide despite outwardly appearing invested in the future.

by Anonymousreply 68March 26, 2021 11:25 PM

The two people who I knew that killed themselves, the week and days preceding were the happiest I had seen them. I guess its them coming to peace with what they were about to do, and saw a light to the end of their perceived suffering. Like R68 said it happens quite often. I could see Kurt being one of these types. His successful suicide, wasn't his first attempt.

by Anonymousreply 69March 26, 2021 11:34 PM

Kurt was murdercided.

by Anonymousreply 70March 26, 2021 11:52 PM

Years ago I saw a talk show where the detective who handled Cobain's suicide was interviewed. He said there was absolute proof that Cobain killed himself. He also said it was up to the family to release that information to the public and they have chosen not to.

by Anonymousreply 71March 27, 2021 12:44 AM

Really r71? What could that *possibly* be and why wouldn’t they release that? I don’t buy that.

by Anonymousreply 72March 27, 2021 6:05 AM

Kurt Cobain wrote a song entitled, “I Hate Myself And I Want To Die”. Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 73March 27, 2021 6:20 AM

She didn’t pull the trigger but had it pulled and quite possibly held the gun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74March 27, 2021 6:44 AM

r4 Thanks for the link. Fascinating doco. Loved the actor playing CL too.

CL really pushed the 'he was suicidal' narrative, yet those who knew him said he wasn't. I remember Dave Grohl saying something like: Kurt wasn't the depressed character people made him out to be. He had his down days like anyone else but was actually a funny guy and good company. Kurt himself said people paid too much attention to his lyrics. Sometimes a song is just a song. And his stomach ailment was no longer an issue for him.

I'd read the rumors about but seeing the doco makes me think, yeah, she absolutely was involved in his death. The handwriting practice? Jesus.

I hope someone looks into Chris Cornell's death too. His wife, her family, and the circumstances of his death are dodgy as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 75March 27, 2021 10:17 AM

R72 I have no idea. Just reporting what he said.

by Anonymousreply 76March 27, 2021 5:18 PM

What do you think about the suicide attempt in Rome in March 1994?

Also, I just re-read the suicide note. To me, it sounds like he wanted to leave the music industry, not the world. Then there are the four sentences at the end, and they don't seem to fit with the rest of the letter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77March 27, 2021 5:32 PM

R75 You’re welcome. As I noted upthread, I fell down a rabbit hole of these documentaries and other videos on YouTube regarding this a while back. After, I distinctly remember feeling gloomy and depressed after learning how dark - and draining for Kurt - this relationship had been.

by Anonymousreply 78March 27, 2021 5:35 PM

[R75] 'I hope someone looks into Chris Cornell's death too. His wife, her family, and the circumstances of his death are dodgy as fuck.'

I can list several things about his 'suicide' that blatatly go against logic and reason. Thank Christ somebody else sees there's something seriously amiss about the official report.

by Anonymousreply 79March 27, 2021 6:42 PM

Iconic Courtney and Madonna moment!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80March 27, 2021 6:49 PM

Kurt was a lifelong depressive with chronic pain. He had a family history of suicides (by gun), mental illness, and alcoholism. He always looked miserable or was forcing a smile in every photo ever taken. He wrote about depression, sang about depression. He was a junkie and survived several overdoses. But sure, blame the woman, because your pea brains need to adhere to a conspiracy theory in order to feel smart (when in actual fact, only the dumbest of people fall for conspiracy theories). The BS low budget documentaries you watch have an agenda. Learn critical thinking skills!

Courtney is a lot of terrible things, but not a murderer.

by Anonymousreply 81March 27, 2021 7:05 PM

Her reaction after his death was weird as fuck, I remember it vividly. She was loving all the attention. Maybe she didn't pull the trigger, but she is absolutely a sociopath and I believe she most definitely was looking for a hitman. How bizarre is it that El Duce died a mere 8 days after filming the interview for Nick Broomfield's documentary? And why the fuck would he make up a story like that?

by Anonymousreply 82March 27, 2021 7:23 PM

I loved Courtney so much as a teen and thought she was the coolest woman in the world. She gave great interviews and seemed like a fascinating, intellectual force of nature. Larry Flynt and especially Live Through This were proof to me that she had major talent and was on the precipice of doing something truly great.

But then something happened to her at the turn of the century, I don't know what. Maybe it was the weight of all her trauma, or maybe it really was guilt! But she lapsed into major drug addiction and plastic surgery addiction, and her behaviour and comments at times has crossed a line into disgusting. She's better now and I hope she stays that way, but she's far from the woman I idolized as a teen.

I don't know if the rumours are true. I would like to think not. But the attached video has always really bothered me a lot. Her talking in concert, circa 1995.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83March 27, 2021 8:33 PM

[quote] I knew Cunty was truly awful when she accused her own daughter and Dave Grohl of fucking.

And now Courtney and Dave are BFFs and went to a strip club together. So weird.

by Anonymousreply 84March 27, 2021 9:15 PM

[quote] volatile super couple like Sid and Nancy,

It's funny how love was in Sid and Nancy (pre plastic surgery). She should have played Nancy, that's the role she was born to play.

by Anonymousreply 85March 27, 2021 9:16 PM

R79 is there something I should read/watch that talks about the Chris Cornell suicide and its controversy? I was never a Soundgarden fan (I am, however, the resident DL Nirvana stan), but would love to read up on it...

by Anonymousreply 86March 27, 2021 9:18 PM

[quote] Talk about a downgrade.

Imagine having to hear Corgan's singing voice in bed? Ugh!!

by Anonymousreply 87March 27, 2021 9:18 PM

R83, i think sobriety plus fame plus dating Edward Norton were too much for her to handle.

by Anonymousreply 88March 27, 2021 9:20 PM

I don’t think people should automatically attack and accuse women partnered up with famous men who die, but some people are truly born without empathy, male and female, and it’s certainly possible that something was amiss in the relationship.

The Kurt and Courtney documentary was very one sided, but some valid points were raised. I would like to hear Courtney’s perspective if they’d make a documentary about Kurt’s last few years from her perspective.

by Anonymousreply 89March 28, 2021 2:11 AM

I hope she talks about the marriage and the misogyny and the conspiracy theories in a significant way in her memoir (if it ever comes to fruition) and doesn't hide behind a lot of bullshit like she has before.

by Anonymousreply 90March 28, 2021 2:45 AM

If she wanted to kill him, why did she call an ambulance in Italy a few weeks prior when he overdosed on Rohypnol and other drugs?

'He could’ve modeled.'

He was only 5ft 7.

by Anonymousreply 91March 28, 2021 2:51 AM

"What do you think about the suicide attempt in Rome in March 1994?"

Someone slipped him an overdose, or put something in his food or drink?

That actually is very clever, because they can say, "Remember Rome?".

by Anonymousreply 92March 28, 2021 3:48 AM

Heh. I live in the neighborhood where he shot himself. The nearby little clearing/bench by the guest house still gets quite a few visitors.

by Anonymousreply 93March 28, 2021 4:11 AM

r91 Mark Wahlberg is 5 7" and started his career being a model. it's not the norm but not unheard of.

by Anonymousreply 94March 28, 2021 4:26 AM

I am a fan of both their bands, and while the documentaries on the subject do paint a salacious picture, I've still never bought into the idea that she killed him. There are people who claim Courtney paid off the Seattle police department with hush money, which is one of many things I find difficult to believe.

The conspiracy theorists also love to toss around that "the heroin/morphine levels in his bloodstream was too high for him to pull the trigger!!!", but fail to realize this theory is based on an uncorroborated number that a Seattle newspaper published shortly after Kurt died. Kurt's toxicology report was never released to the public—the only people who ever had access to it are Courtney and Kurt's immediate family (i.e. mother, sister).

There's also the fact that Courtney is a chronic name dropper/stream-of-consciousness mess. I cannot fathom that she wouldn't have slipped up after all this time. If you go back and watch the "Kurt & Courtney" documentary from 1998, Nick Broomfield interviewed one of Kurt's closest childhood friends/drug buddies, and he said he fully believed Courtney had nothing to do with it. IIRC, he said something to the effect of "If she had, I would have killed her."

by Anonymousreply 95March 28, 2021 4:35 AM

It has always seemed obvious to me that Courtney has borderline personality disorder. She has done a lot of fucked up shit over the years. I don't believe she killed him though. I've always felt that, at her core, she is a sad, scared, desperate little girl, and that her loud, extroverted, manic disposition is a cover for deep-seated insecurity and vulnerability. Her aggressive, alpha persona is probably what attracted Kurt to her in the first place, as he was much more passive (and not really able to hide it). I think they both were/are very sensitive people, but he didn't possess the tough exterior she did, which made it difficult for him to deal with this world.

by Anonymousreply 96March 28, 2021 4:51 AM

The contents of the toxicology report -have- been released and reported. And the 200 milligrams was beyond lethal. He couldn't have shot himself at any point after that dose hit.

And the "suicide note" was clearly an old journal entry with the only suicidal-sounding sentence added at the bottom, in someone else's handwriting.

I've read or watched way more reputable reporting on this than I should have, and I'm convinced that Courtney was responsible.

by Anonymousreply 97March 28, 2021 4:52 AM

A MUST READ before you start trying to look at their dynamic. One of the best celebrity interviews of all time

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98March 28, 2021 4:54 AM

Why would he take all that dope if he was going to off himself?

Someone probably pumped him full of drugs then... he didn't die, was still alive. So they thought-up the gun thing. Wasn't there some question of how he could even reach down to pull the trigger?

He was murdered. Who knows who did it, but Courtney had the biggest motive. I'm glad everything she attempts turns to shit.

by Anonymousreply 99March 28, 2021 5:14 AM

I thought Courtney Cox killed Kurt Cobain.

by Anonymousreply 100March 28, 2021 5:17 AM

Kurt killed himself. If he hadn't done it when he did he would have done it some other time. He was suicidal. On the other hand, I am (semi) ashamed of myself but I wholeheartedly believe that Chris Cornells wife had him killed.

by Anonymousreply 101March 28, 2021 5:22 AM

Rescue-chick, do you have some articles to read? Never heard that theory but would love to read more.

by Anonymousreply 102March 28, 2021 5:56 AM

R102, First person she called was her insurance agent....

by Anonymousreply 103March 28, 2021 6:15 AM

r98 Interesting that she refers to Madonna as a vampire. People can yell 'misogyny' but I think that's wrong. Some people attach themselves to more talented people and suck them dry. Courtney Love is one of them. There's a reason no one has a good word to say about her and it's got nothing to do with her being a woman.

She wanted to be a star, and she hit the jackpot with Kurt. She's going to the ATM every day. Whose money was she spending? She wouldn't have been signed if it wasn't for him. I think Courtney had enough baseline musical savvy to release the equivalent of one good album. A one-hit wonder riding the grunge wave. But she's not talented like Kurt or Billy Corgan.

I can't provide links, but there were rumors that both Kurt and Chris Cornell wanted to leave their wives. What would a sociopath do to keep that money train rolling?

by Anonymousreply 104March 28, 2021 10:00 AM

r7 not too surprising. junkies tend to travel in packs. peoplle were more surprised he didn't come out as gay.

by Anonymousreply 105March 28, 2021 10:58 AM

Good lord! Cortney Love!!!! Can we write about Tori Amos next? Cortney love!!!!

by Anonymousreply 106March 28, 2021 11:26 AM

R101 get a life. Twit

by Anonymousreply 107March 28, 2021 11:28 AM

If you look at clips of Kurt and Courtney in the 90s, they seem like a pair of homeless addicts that you would avert your eyes if you saw them on the streets, not celebrities. They were/are two damaged, mentally ill individuals. I don't doubt that Kurt killed himself. And, while I don't prescribe to the "Courtney drove him to it" theory, I think being in a relationship with her made him worse.

by Anonymousreply 108March 28, 2021 11:34 AM

r68 R69 if you're both refereeing to my post (r49( that his grandfather told me he was happy days before Kurt died...I did say that suicide ran in both sides of the family. Lee had a brother who killed himself, and I think there was another on his grandfathers side. Wendy, Kurts mom, also had members on her side who killed themselves.

I think he was suicidal and having Courtney for a wife didn't help..IMHO, Kurt killed himself

by Anonymousreply 109March 28, 2021 12:35 PM

[R79], I'm not even a conspiracy theorist. Straight off, these are the aspects to the incident that are illogical and otherwise. (I'm not going to number them. Not in this shirt.) Chris is on the phone with the wife. Calls ends. Wife thinks he sounds off, or something. I don't know if she said suicidal. Calls one of Chris's bodyguards. Expresses her concern. This is where it begins to fracture: the body guard 'breaks down' Cornell's door, and finds him either hanging from the bathroom door, or on the floor, unresponsive. A hotel like that is going to be CRAWLING with security guards. Instead of calling reception and reporting a possible incident where a guest could possibly be in danger of his life (and security would have been there within 30 seconds max), why does the bodyguard break down the door? Sure, he claims he got no reply when he knoced on the door. But what if Christ had been on the other side of the door, unconconcious? And, I'm no stud he-man, but have you ever tried to break down the door of a 5 star hotel room? I don't think those doors are supposed to give so easily, due to fire regs, and just general structural ingegrity. Security would've been able to OPEN the door with a master key. Then, within hours, maybe sooner, the wife is all over social media WITH HER ALIBI. How convenient. She presents the timeline of the phone conversation, and the call to the bodyguard. Then she's all over social media talking about the prescription drugs Chris was taking, and blaming his MD. Deflecting everything away from herself. None of this is speculation. And the wife's public display of grief would give, I won't say who, another female, a run for her royal money with the crocodile tears. It doesn't add up. Of course it can all be explained away. But I've had an instinct since it happened, that it doesn't add up. I hope this makes some sense and answers your question.

by Anonymousreply 110March 28, 2021 12:57 PM

[quote] She wouldn't have been signed if it wasn't for him. I

Weren't Hole signed to a record deal before Kurt? And the first album was a mild hit.

by Anonymousreply 111March 28, 2021 5:26 PM

The Kurt and Courtney documentary always intrigued me , particularly all the interviews with those claiming to know Courtney and Kurt. I don't think she killed him but I sure as hell think she exploited him . He was a bright boy, though, I think he was as narcissistic as she was. People demonise her and deify him. They had an interlocking pathology, both traumatised, both junkies. I think he killed himself and I don't think that detective - Tom whazzhisface - was entirely credible. I saw in him a parasite as well. I remember seeing her cry about him on some interview and the pain seemed entirely genuine. I think her main interests were to become a star and a starfucker with a lot of assets and he was no different. He actively sought out that fame, same as she did. I just think he was less equipped to deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 112March 28, 2021 5:50 PM

I find the lionization of Kurt fascinating and irritating. This whole story of how Kurt "didn't want to be a corporate musician" is just so unbelievable to me. He obviously WANTED Nevermind to be a hit. And I find the whole tortured artist routine really tiring.

by Anonymousreply 113March 28, 2021 5:53 PM

I thought it was weird that she went down to the spontaneous memorial gathering of fans and read his suicide note.

by Anonymousreply 114March 28, 2021 5:55 PM

R114 she also gave out a bunch of his clothes to people after a memorial at the Seattle Center. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing footage of her also giving their engagement ring to some kids at the park next to their house too—she was in a bathrobe and looked disheveled, and distraught. Some people would obviously use that against her, but I think it was probably a genuine, impulsive gesture to share his earthly remnants with his fans.

R112 I think you're right as well. Courtney has said before that Kurt coveted his fame, but was just not open about it. I believe that. She's also referred to him as a narcissist, which is probably also true—most all artists are. And yet the Cobain conspiracy theorist clan use all of those claims against her as well, insisting, "Kurt was just a small-town northwest boy! He didn't want to be famous! He was a man of the people!". Bullshit. Kurt came from humble beginnings, but he did not represent the everyman—he was an intelligent, dark outsider. I just don't think he saw an end game once he was at the top, and he spun out on drugs.

I think the pressure of Nirvana's explosive fame, combined with his addiction, was too much for him to deal with. He didn't have the tools. Courtney was trying to get clean at the time, and she famously staged an intervention (which she has since said she regrets immensely) shortly before he died. For a junkie, that kind of pressure to get clean in and of itself can make the world feel like it's crashing down on you—that there's nowhere to turn. I think he felt like a trapped animal, and, feeling he had no escape, decided the best option was to eliminate himself.

by Anonymousreply 115March 28, 2021 6:31 PM

Courtney was pretty cut up reading Kurt's suicide note, I don't think she had anything to do with his death.

by Anonymousreply 116March 28, 2021 6:46 PM

R115, you summarized what I'm thinking. I really hate the tortured artist BS. Kurt probably didn't even know what he wanted--so when he became famous, it was probably too much for hiim. But let's not pretend he was some anti-corporate hero.

by Anonymousreply 117March 28, 2021 6:50 PM

R115 I quite agree with your assessments.

by Anonymousreply 118March 28, 2021 6:57 PM

R116 I agree. She sounds legitimately distraught to me. It doesn't matter though, because the naysayers will always claim "she's a good actress". They have an answer to fit their narrative no matter what. The murder conspiracy nuts have a lot in common with Trumpsters, frankly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119March 28, 2021 7:02 PM

Kim Gordon fanned the flames of the "Kurt was murdered" camp by going on record some years ago and saying she didn't think he killed himself, and then subsequently appeared in "Last Days", Gus Van Sant's thinly-veiled take on Cobain's last few days alive. It was a cunty thing to do. She then went on to perform at Nirvana's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction a couple of years, and dedicated her performance to Courtney and Frances, which I thought was weird.

by Anonymousreply 120March 28, 2021 7:25 PM

a couple of years AGO

by Anonymousreply 121March 28, 2021 7:25 PM

R115, that was my takeaway from the Heavier Than Heaven biography. Kurt watched record sales, he cared about the business side. No one forced him to sign to a major label

by Anonymousreply 122March 28, 2021 7:42 PM

A lot of interesting things in this thread. I appreciate hearing both sides of it. Courtney may not have been the best person to Kurt, but was Kurt really the humble, sensitive Saint/martyr he was made out to be who needed to be protected from Courtney? The truth is probably somewhere in between—they cared about each other on some level but probably didn’t have the healthiest relationship and both probably contributed to the dysfunction.

That said, who knows what happened on the day he died. People feel strongly on both sides, but I don’t know if we could ever know for sure. As I said before, Nick’s Kurt and Courtney documentary was damning but EXTREMELY one-sided and lacked an attempt to balance the narrative. He was definitely on a mission to go after Courtney and implicate her in Kurt’s death.

by Anonymousreply 123March 28, 2021 8:19 PM

R113 Nirvana signed with Geffen. That's not something someone who wants to be obscure does!

Apparently there's stuff in his published journals where he lists goals like getting a contract and making money too.

by Anonymousreply 124March 29, 2021 3:56 AM

R124, that's exactly why I find him so irritating. Any artist that signs to a major label has a desire to be famous.

by Anonymousreply 125March 29, 2021 4:33 AM

Stepfather, but still.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126March 29, 2021 10:39 AM

Do people really think Cobain wasn't suicidal? Google "Kurt Cobain with gun in his mouth". Non-suicidal people don't jokingly pose with guns in their mouths all the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127March 29, 2021 6:19 PM

Because she inherited absolutely everything despite being married for only two years. She is bloodthirsty and nuts. She did not pull the trigger...the missing nanny Cali likely did. He has been MIA ever since.

by Anonymousreply 128March 29, 2021 6:23 PM

R127 I could never pose next to any friend who was doing that. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 129March 29, 2021 7:22 PM

r127 She reckons he was; others, including his bandmates, reckon he wasn't. We'll never know will we? Dave and Krist are laughing in that pic. Maybe Kurt was taking the piss.

He was a heroin user. ODs happen. We don't know if Rome was a 'simple' OD or if he was intent on dying. If you take Rome out, would he have still been considered suicidal. Where did that all come from anyway? Did he say it himself?

by Anonymousreply 130March 29, 2021 7:29 PM

Fascinating.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131March 29, 2021 8:25 PM

That picture at t117 is absolutely haunting, and makes me believe he did it. What would be the odds of someone posing like that, dying the exact same way — but by someone else’s hand? He definitely did it, not her.

by Anonymousreply 132March 30, 2021 6:31 AM

Not only was Kurt not murdered, he also did NOT WRITE Live Through This. There has never been a shred of evidence to corroborate the songwriting claim. Eric Erlandson was the musically talented one of the songwriting team. If you can’t bear to give credit to Love for that album, then give it to Erlandson. That’s really what that theory is about—hating Love, so therefore she couldn’t have written LTT, because it’s too good. So give credit to Eric, then.

But the lyrics are 100% Courtney.

No one associated with Nirvana or Hole has ever said Kurt had a hand in writing that album. There was such bad blood between Krist/Dave and Courtney, someone would’ve said something.

And the people who make the claim tend not to know anything about music anyway.

by Anonymousreply 133March 30, 2021 6:51 AM

R133 yes everyone says that it's misogynist to credit Kurt with Live Through This, but the person who gets really shortchanged by that conspiracy theory is Eric Erlandson! While Courtney wrote the lyrics she can't fucking play guitar. The lyrics are 100% hers though. I mean, Violet is clearly about Billy Corgan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134March 30, 2021 7:39 AM

She is a miso bitch. she totally ended this guy. she keeps playing on it, just can't seem to do anything for herself.

by Anonymousreply 135March 30, 2021 7:59 AM

[Quote]sobriety plus fame plus dating Edward Norton were too much for her to handle.

I never understood Norton's attraction to her.

by Anonymousreply 136March 30, 2021 8:04 AM

Courtney Love is mixed up with Epstein and Andrew, oh my!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137March 30, 2021 8:26 AM

A quote from the VF article at r98 gave me a laugh. " The British tabloids called me leggy and stunning". She thought they were serious! Only last week they said the same re Chrissy Metz.

by Anonymousreply 138March 30, 2021 12:27 PM

Kurt said that he was determined to get a habit, no one forced him to take heroin, least of all Courtney. It was definitely a suicide attempt in Rome, he left a note there as well.

by Anonymousreply 139March 30, 2021 7:08 PM

He wrote a song called "I Hate Myself and Want to Die". He also wore a T-shirt with the same slogan. It's completely plausible that he killed himself.

by Anonymousreply 140March 30, 2021 9:26 PM

I'm watching "Soaked in Bleach" now. The actress playing Courtney is pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 141March 30, 2021 9:54 PM

Kurt had really bad stomach pain which ramped up his use of heroin beyond what it might have been.

by Anonymousreply 142April 2, 2021 1:39 AM

I do not know if she is guilty, but it would not shock me at all to find she did have something to do with his death.

by Anonymousreply 143April 2, 2021 1:45 AM

Because they can’t face the fact that their hero killed himself. I’m sure he and Courtney had relationship issues they were both drug addicts. He was a beeping addict with a history of depression and had tried to kill himself. Some people say he was clean but relapses are so common. It’s sad but not so hard to believe he killed himself. It’s harder to believe Courtney would risk everything to be involved in a murder. She was the mother of his child and would have been able to get spousal support if they divorced.

by Anonymousreply 144April 2, 2021 1:49 AM

She knew that they were worth more as a power couple alive than they were with him dead. Courtney's career was in the weeds forever after Kurt's death. She had dreams of Hole supporting Nirvana on a world tour.

by Anonymousreply 145April 2, 2021 1:51 AM

But wasn't he about to leave her? I do not know, I am asking.

by Anonymousreply 146April 2, 2021 1:54 AM

No, they were still besotted with each other and Kurt adored Frances Bean.

by Anonymousreply 147April 2, 2021 1:55 AM

R146, according to that PI and also I believe the lawyer they shared, yes, he was supposedly planning on breaking up with her and/or running away from her and the business. Although the lawyer now kind of denies some of the things she said on tape at the time, according to her husband who was both their managers!

by Anonymousreply 148April 2, 2021 1:57 AM

R146 That is what a few people close to Kurt have reported. I won’t say that I think she had him killed but I certainly wouldn’t be surprised.

by Anonymousreply 149April 2, 2021 1:58 AM

So why did that man she hire to find him turn on her the way he did? Money-a book deal?

by Anonymousreply 150April 2, 2021 1:58 AM

R150, his book is self published although he did collaborate with some other writers on a book suggesting she had him killed. I actually think the PI is sincere, whether he is correct or not.

by Anonymousreply 151April 2, 2021 2:09 AM

R151-- That was my feeling as well, which is why I put more thought into what he had to say. One thing I have never quite understood is what happened when Curt OD'ed right before his death, was it in Paris? Didn't the PI think Courtney had something to do with that, or am I not remembering that correctly? ( It has been years since I read his book)

by Anonymousreply 152April 2, 2021 2:14 AM

i doubt he was planning to run away from her as she was fully om board with him treating his chronic stomach pain with heroin and other narcotics while his manager and label kept trying to get him to go to rehab. He'd just absconded from yet another rehab when he committed suicide. Kurt and Courtney were the ultimate codependents.

by Anonymousreply 153April 2, 2021 2:18 AM

R152 - yes, I think the accusation was that Courtney “roofied” Kurt when they were in Paris. Kurt denied a suicide attempt (which doesn’t necessarily make it true). For whatever reason I do believe that the PI really believes what he says and according to the tapes he made of conversations with the lawyer, she was suspicious too.

The lawyer’s husband/K&C’s manager wrote a book and claimed that what his wife said to the PI was taken out of context.

by Anonymousreply 154April 2, 2021 2:19 AM

' I think the accusation was that Courtney “roofied” Kurt when they were in Paris. '

As if Rohypnol would have had a significant effect on a person used to industrial amounts of benzos and narcotics. He killed himself because the drugs didn't work anymore and he was still in pain even when he took monstrous quantities.

by Anonymousreply 155April 2, 2021 2:21 AM

She and Cobain were very pissed off at the Vanity Fair article, which made Courtney look sociopathic an Kurt look like a passive milquetoast. It stated that Courtney did heroin while pregnant (she did) and that industry insiders were very worried about the health of the baby. The author of the article got a threatening phone call from Cobain after the article and Courtney of course was incensed by it too. But it was an accurate portrait. That photo of her with her naked pregnant belly hanging out (she looks like a guy in drag despite the pregnant stomach) had the cigarette in her hand (she smoked while pregnant in order to "ensure a small baby") airbrushed out.

by Anonymousreply 156April 2, 2021 2:29 AM

R156 Courtney has always sort of looked like a man in drag—I've long thought this, and it's one of the things about her that is oddly striking. She has broad shoulders, is tall (around 5'10") and has large hands, angular arms, and a lower (for a woman at least) voice. Her overall frame and features are fairly masculine. I've seen some people online (mainly conspiracy theorists who think she killed Kurt) claim that she's actually trans man, which I find ridiculous. Looking at Frances, there's no way Courtney didn't give birth to her. Nevertheless, she is fairly androgynous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157April 2, 2021 2:42 AM

Courtney's wide shoulders

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158April 2, 2021 2:45 AM

She does look like a tranny. Back in 1994, she could’ve passed for one of today’s autistic transgender anime-loving gamer losers. Nowadays she looks more like a tranny who’s had all the plastic surgery and really put effort into “passing”.

I say all this as someone who finds her generally likable and thinks LTT is a great album.

by Anonymousreply 159April 2, 2021 6:00 AM

Courtney was taller than Kurt. She's a big girl and definitely had her nose done in the 80s. She's always had a chip on her shoulder about pretty girls. See her comments on Gwen Stefani.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160April 2, 2021 6:15 AM

Frances Bean inherited Courtney's pre surgery jawline and had to have it shaved down.

by Anonymousreply 161April 2, 2021 6:32 AM

Love certainly had lots of charisma. She a perfect and fascinating example of the axiom “looks aren’t everything.”

by Anonymousreply 162April 2, 2021 10:10 AM

Didn't doctors never find anything wrong with his stomach because there was nothing wrong with it? I could swear I read the scoliosis story was bullshit

by Anonymousreply 163April 2, 2021 11:06 AM

R161 definitely. Frances inherited so many elements of Courtney's pre-surgery face, which is proof that, despite Courtney sometimes looking like a drag queen, she has to biologically female. Frances is short, though, so she took after her father in that regard—she also has her dad's eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164April 2, 2021 1:05 PM

R164 How interesting. She has her father’s eyes and mouth (same smirk, too) and her mothers nose, chin, and jawline - the shape of her face, really.

by Anonymousreply 165April 2, 2021 1:12 PM

"Love certainly had lots of charisma. "

I wouldn't call what she had "charisma." She was loud, obnoxious, vulgar, outrageous, violent. A train wreck personality. Some people find that type fascinating. Some don't. Kurt Cobain did, He thought it was "exciting" to be with someone who would smash a glass on a table for no reason at all. Kurt Cobain was pretty disturbed himself.

In earlier photos of her it's obvious she was plug ugly. She's had tons of plastic surgery, but as the saying goes, you can't polish a turd. Frances Bean, except for her eyes, resembles her mother before all the surgery. Has Frances Bean tried to remedy that with surgery? I would think she would.

by Anonymousreply 166April 2, 2021 9:07 PM

Frances had great plastic surgery, just enough that you can’t tell she had much work done.

by Anonymousreply 167April 2, 2021 9:14 PM

R166 in rock n' roll that is charisma. Keith Moon, Jim Morrison, Elvis, etc. were all that crazy like that.

by Anonymousreply 168April 2, 2021 9:26 PM

Hole guitarist Eric Erlandson: We had bulk candy backstage. I go, “Courtney, there’s [Bikini Kill frontwoman] Kathleen Hanna. You should offer her some candy.” She grabbed the candy and just threw it at her. Everybody was like, “Oh my God, she punched her in the face,” but from what I saw, she threw the candy, and kind of slapped her in the direction of her face. I don’t know if she actually hit her, or what. It doesn’t matter, it was not cool. . . . The whole tour started on that note.

Hole bassist Melissa Auf der Maur: Courtney did a fake cat hiss, like a joke. Like, “We’re at war” kind of a thing , like “Sss!” . . . making a weird joke in passing. Next thing you know, there’s this explosion of arguing. Maybe a shove, I can’t remember. Kathleen Hanna screamed at the top of her lungs: “I challenge you to a feminist debate in any university in America!” I was like, “What is this?” It was hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169April 2, 2021 9:50 PM

R169 Courtney has claimed that Kathleen challenged her to a "feminist debate at any university in America", but I always took it with a grain of salt. However, I don't take Melissa Auf der Maur for a liar, and if she said it happened, then I believe it did. I don't like Kathleen either and never have; she seems arrogant and myopic in her view of the world. Her cutesy "zines" and shunning of the media got her her 15 minutes of fame, and then she married a Beastie Boy and has lived comfortably ever since. It's funny that nobody criticizes her for marrying a rock star, meanwhile Courtney has been shredded over her marriage to Kurt from the get-go.

by Anonymousreply 170April 3, 2021 1:31 AM

auf der Maur absolutely does not lie. If she said it happened that way, that’s how it happened. She is extremely grounded, sensible, trustworthy person.

by Anonymousreply 171April 3, 2021 2:28 AM

R171 I like Melissa a lot—she's almost too zen to have been in that band. She always seemed inviolate, which I guess made a good counter to Courtney's maelstrom of chaos. Eric Erlandson also appeared somewhat detached, though I always sensed some tension between him and Courtney. He has not had great things to say about Courtney in the intervening years, and vice versa. Interestingly enough, Melissa has never really said a bad word about Courtney—she's always been nothing but supportive and accepting of Courtney, flaws and all.

Hole's drummer, Patty Schemel (a longtime friend of Kurt), was ousted from the band during the recording of "Celebrity Skin", ended up homeless and sucking dick on skid row for crack (Schemel is a lesbian, to add insult to injury) for a number of years before getting her life together. What I find most shocking is that she has also never had a bad word to say about Courtney, even though Courtney, as the leader of the band, fucked her over royally by letting the producers talk her into using a session drummer. I've gotten the impression that Courtney and Patty stayed in touch during that time and, IIRC, Courtney said she recurrently offered to get Patty into rehab during her crack addiction, and at times helped support her. I know Patty drummed on Courtney's solo record in 2004.

by Anonymousreply 172April 3, 2021 2:42 AM

"in rock n' roll that is charisma. Keith Moon, Jim Morrison, Elvis, etc. were all that crazy like that."

No, they were not crazy like THAT. Courtney Love is in a class by herself when it comes to atrocious behavior. Doing heroin while pregnant; that went beyond the pale. She said later that it was nobody's business if she did heroin while pregnant, that it was her business if she wanted to be "immoral." And she smoked while pregnant and was quoted as saying she did so to "ensure a small baby (she didn't want to get stretch marks)." She's a psycho. Being psycho isn't "charisma", it's just being psycho.

by Anonymousreply 173April 3, 2021 3:02 AM

I think both are true, though, R173. A lot of those male rock gods did plenty of terrible shit as well, fucking underage girls, doing hard drugs, you name it. This is not an excuse for Courtney's bad behavior, but a lot of times the kind of behavior that is rewarded in the rock/punk world is linked with some sort of mental imbalance, impulsiveness, or selfishness. Courtney has always had a reputation for being a hellion, long before she was famous. There is a character in the book "Bongwater" who burns down her boyfriend's house in Portland after they get into a fight, and flees to New York City afterward where she crashes in a squat—that character was based on Courtney.

by Anonymousreply 174April 3, 2021 3:10 AM

Two emotionally-damaged junkies get married; one of the junkies is clinically depressed and has a gun fetish. What could go wrong?

by Anonymousreply 175April 3, 2021 3:20 AM

R145, sorry, but that might be one of the dumbest things I've ever read on the DL. Courtney's career was NOT in the weeds after Kurt's death. Are you kidding me? She had her two biggest albums in the years after he died!

Furthermore, Courtney is nothing if not shrewd. Knowing everything about her, what do you think Love would choose, if she could, for her own career trajectory:

The wife (and indie darling) of a dead rock star - no THE BIGGEST rock star of his generation in his prime - releases her major label debut the very month he "offs" himself. When she is in the news literally every day.

OR

The wife of a rock star releases yet another grunge album amid a flurry of grunge albums. Most think she's only signed to a major label because she's married to said rock star (not true of course, but that's of little import).

Not saying Courtney had any involvement in Kurt's death, but it doesn't take a cynic to know a dead rock star is worth more than a living one.

She was just fine with him being dead. Her career skyrocket as a result. If she'd continued to be the drug addled freak without dead Cobain money? She'd have fizzled by then end of 1994.

by Anonymousreply 176April 3, 2021 3:55 AM

R176, don't forget Courtney's promise as an actress. A lot of critics felt she was going to become a bigger star after Larry Flynt. That never happened but that was definitely a moment where it seemed like she cleaned herself up for a bit.

by Anonymousreply 177April 3, 2021 4:30 AM

R177 Say what you will about Love - and I definitely suspect her to some degree - but she was excellent in this film.

by Anonymousreply 178April 3, 2021 4:40 AM

R178, I've only seen clips but she's excellent in them. It's sad that she never seemed to recapture that. And I think breaking up with Edward Norton messed her up, he seemed to stabilize her.

by Anonymousreply 179April 3, 2021 4:49 AM

Courtney has recently claimed there were "#METOO" situations that ambushed her film career, though I somehow find it hard to believe Courtney could be coerced into anything like that. We all know she called out Harvey Weinstein on the red carpet of the Pam Anderson Comedy Central roast, but that was around 2004 when she was bloated, very much on drugs, and not able to steer a film career anyway. I guess at that point she didn't give a fuck.

by Anonymousreply 180April 3, 2021 4:52 AM

What drugs was she on in 2004, just out of curiosity? I know she had an oxy problem at some point, right?

by Anonymousreply 181April 3, 2021 5:04 AM

R181 she was dabbling in all kinds of shit from around '03 to '07, from prescription drugs to cocaine to crack. She had Frances taken away from her during this period and ended up getting into so much trouble that she was ordered by the court into lockdown rehab.

by Anonymousreply 182April 3, 2021 5:08 AM

Althea Flynt was a mentally fucked up, bi-sexual stripper and junkie. Courtney Love was a mentally fucked up, bi-sexual stripper and junkie. What an acting stretch!

by Anonymousreply 183April 3, 2021 7:45 PM

R183 is Courtney actually bisexual though? She's half-assedly claimed to have had one lesbian tryst with Kate Moss, but that's as far as I've ever heard. I remember her saying on Howard Stern that she didn't go down on her or anything, and that the vagina itself repulsed her.

by Anonymousreply 184April 4, 2021 4:42 AM

She said in some interview that she had sex with women but only "trashy porno girls...otherwise, what's the point?" But who knows if she fucked women or not? She's not exactly known for telling the truth.

by Anonymousreply 185April 4, 2021 4:47 AM

Courtney has never been bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 186April 4, 2021 5:32 AM

I've never been convinced she killed him. Courtney is a narcissist, a bully and was probably abusive to Kurt. But I don't think she had motivation to kill him. Kurt was mentally ill, a drug addict and had a history of attempts at suicide. I'm sure he had his moments were he was cruel or abusive to others as well. A lot of people lionize Kurt and see him as this martyr who did no wrong but that's not the full picture.

by Anonymousreply 187April 4, 2021 8:21 PM

"Courtney has never been bisexual."

Just how would you know? I think she is. Anyone that drug addicted would probably indulge in homosex. People really fucked up on drugs will fuck anything male or female.

by Anonymousreply 188April 4, 2021 9:47 PM

R187 exactly. Cunty personalities tend to attract each other.

by Anonymousreply 189April 5, 2021 8:49 AM

He tried to kill himself in Rome. It was no accident. He left a note that Love and his manager had destroyed because apparently he said some very nasty things about her and some other people in his life. How can anybody seriously think it was a murder attempt when Kurt didn’t say anything about it afterwards? Why would he just stay wit her if he hadn’t actually overdosed on his own?? It was a suicide attempt because he was upset that Cunty was cheating on him with Evan Dando (Lemon Heads) and Billy Corgan. Buzz Osborne said people knew about that shit an Kurt was hurt and pissed off.

by Anonymousreply 190April 6, 2021 6:55 PM

If anybody was a borderline personality in that relationship it was Kurt, not Courtney. He was a regular little Judy Garland with all of his threats of self harm and suicide. Whenever Courtney threatened to leave him or take Frances away over his drug use he would apparently get out one of his guns and talk about shooting him self. It got so bad she called the cops and had all of the guns removed from the house. The guy wrote songs about guns, self hate and dying. He had abandonment issues after his parents divorced and anxiety. So may tings about this guy point to BPD. Even falling for a Narcissist sociopath like Courtney Love, seems to fit with the behavior of somebody who has BPD. They cling to people who have the outward confidence and aggression they lack. He also seemed to have black and white thinking and idealization thought patterns.

by Anonymousreply 191April 6, 2021 7:40 PM

I mean, he did refer to himself as a "little Pisces Jesus man" in the alleged suicide note that Courtney read aloud. Even at that part she seemed to groan and want to tell him to go fuck himself. The man thought very highly of himself and cultivated a persona--I seem to remember in his diaries that he admitted to never having chronic stomach issues after all; it was just a lie and an excuse to do dope.

Let's face it, grunge had a very short shelf life (about three years, tops) and Kurt is only lionized because he died. He would have faded into obscurity, died of an overdose like some of the other grunge fellas like Layne Staley or Andrew Wood, or become a solo artist who played small clubs. His incessant whining and junkiness is considered mythological and tortured, rather than pathetic, only because he was rich and pretty.

by Anonymousreply 192April 7, 2021 7:10 PM

[quote] He was a regular little Judy Garland with all of his threats of self harm and suicide.

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

by Anonymousreply 193April 7, 2021 9:32 PM

R191 makes a compelling argument. Because he's dead and unable to defend himself, Kurt automatically gets the benefit of the doubt from most people, and his culpability/flaws get glossed over. It is well-documented that Kurt would throw antics like this. A few weeks before his death, he locked himself in a room with a gun and a bottle of pills and was threatening to kill himself. Courtney called the police and they removed all the firearms from the house. Kurt subsequently told the officers he "didn't actually plan on following through with it". Nonetheless, if he was threatening to off himself, why would Courtney call the cops to intervene if she wanted him dead? It doesn't make sense.

by Anonymousreply 194April 8, 2021 1:14 AM

Kurt Cobain always tried to make his relationship with Courtney Love seem like the best thing that ever happened to him. But it was probably the worst. Getting married and having a child didn't make him happy, although in an interview he claimed that since he'd been with Courtney Love he was "the happiest I've ever been" and that "being in love" made him a changed man. In fact it seemed that having the responsibility of being married and being a father made him even MORE fucked up. He and Courtney Love were constantly arguing with each other; that's true love? They had a very sick, co-dependent relationship. It would not have lasted, In fact before he died it was said Love was looking for the "meanest" divorce lawyer she could find because the marriage was failing. And that poor little Kurt was threatening suicide because "I can't go through another divorce (his parent's divorce supposedly destroyed him)." At any rate, his talk about being "happy" was pure bullshit. Happy people don't take several dozen pills (all individually wrapped in a blister pack) at one time, like he did in Rome. Kurt Cobain was NEVER "happy."

He said some incredibly stupid things about Love; he was always trying to make her out to be this incredible positive force in his life. He was quoted as saying "I'd probably be gay if it wasn't for Courtney." What horseshit; there's no evidence to ever suggest he has homosexual relationships before her and he'd had a steady girlfriend. He also went on some show and said she was "the best fuck in the world." He might be excused for that, since he seemed to be stoned when he said it.

by Anonymousreply 195April 8, 2021 1:47 AM

I would recommend reading Hit So Hard by Patty Schemel for interesting insights into both of them. She actually was friends with Kurt before joining Hole. The junkie/addiction aspect she describes is also absolutely insane and harrowing.

by Anonymousreply 196April 8, 2021 1:58 AM

As cracked out crazy as Love is, I don't believe she did it. Grohl would have never reconciled with her for the RRHOF induction.

by Anonymousreply 197April 8, 2021 2:49 AM

R197, I agree. That reconciliation is so weid btw. They are like best friends now.

by Anonymousreply 198April 8, 2021 11:37 PM

I don't think she and Dave Grohl are "best friends." They might pretend to like each other in public but I seriously don't think they have any liking for each other. Love once went on Twitter and said that Grohl was fucking Frances Bean. She said she realized Frances was just being "curious" but that she wanted to "kill" Grohl. Grohl ignored her accusations but Frances Bean didn't. She went on Twitter and said that Grohl had never approached her except in a "platonic" way and that she was in a monogamous relationship and that her mother should be banned from Twitter. Love replied with "I'm sorry I believed the gossip. Mommy loves you." Believed the gossip? She CREATED the gossip! No, I don't think she and Dave Grohl are what you would call pals.

by Anonymousreply 199April 9, 2021 1:00 AM

I’m thinking Christ Novoselic and Dave Grohl have tried to keep things friendly-ish with Courtney because if I’m not mistaken, she owns rights regarding Nirvana‘s material. That’s how she and Frances live. Off of Kurt’s money.

by Anonymousreply 200April 9, 2021 1:05 AM

R200 I believe Dave and Krist own Nirvana Inc., which is basically the merchandise you see with Nirvana branding (i.e. branded t-shirts at Target or Wal-Mart). All of the publishing rights (i.e. the big bucks) to the Nirvana catalogue belong to Courtney and Frances, as Kurt was the sole songwriter in that band.

by Anonymousreply 201April 9, 2021 1:19 AM

This is one of the most awkward interivews I've ever seen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202April 9, 2021 1:48 AM

R202 I remember that. She had been up all night compulsively leaving messages for her boyfriend at the time (I think she was seeing Andre Balazs at this time, but I could be wrong) after a fight. She talked about it on Howard Stern, which I believe she recorded either just before or after this interview for Fuse.

by Anonymousreply 203April 9, 2021 1:55 AM

R203, she seems like she's on multiple drugs in this interview.

by Anonymousreply 204April 9, 2021 1:56 AM

More importantly , remember when MTV played actual music? When FUSE was an actual music station ? And VH-1 was giving us OG 80s videos and DIVAS on stage together? Bring back the days of MUSIC ON TV. And yeah Courtney’s a F***ing drugged up , fame seeking , sociopathic, freak who carved out a niche for her own brand of “riotttt girl take no prisoners”. I know El Duce said in the Nick Broomfield documentary about K&C that she asked him to off Kirt for 50K but he refused yet “know the guy who did it”... he very weirdly died a mere 3 days later in a freak train accident when he’s hit on the tracks and no witnesses as to how he was there and why he didn’t move. But ultimately Kurt Cobain pulled the trigger. She pushed him toward it but he did what he tried almost all his life. The only loser here is Frances Bean. She had the rough start of life as a drug baby with two self absorbed druggie parents. One died the other too much into her own aspirations and drug addiction to focus on her child’s needs.

by Anonymousreply 205April 9, 2021 2:27 AM

Courtney was fucking furious that Krist and Dave let the Muppets movie parody “Smells Like Teen Spirit”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206April 9, 2021 2:39 AM

R195 it was rumored that Kurt had a long relationship with the artist, Mike Kelly .

by Anonymousreply 207April 14, 2021 1:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!