Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Vaccine line-jumpers

I have a few friends in their 30s and 40s who used their connections or just lied in order to jump the vaccine line. All are healthy, work from home, have low risk profiles, and are not yet eligible for vaccination in my state. I consider this unethical when there are still millions of people more deserving ahead of them, but they're being rather glib about it.

Is anyone else dealing with this and has it changed how you view the person? I'm rethinking these relationships.

by Anonymousreply 200April 29, 2021 10:28 PM

I got it because no older people showed up. They were having an injection event sponsored at my parent's golf course club house but I guess they didn't get the word out. There were like 15 nurses and 2 people getting the vaccine. I was in the building for something else and poked my head in. A guy said you want a vaccine? We have to use them up or they will go to waste.

by Anonymousreply 1March 26, 2021 4:34 AM

^gross^

There is no such thing as an injection "event" for poor people.

by Anonymousreply 2March 26, 2021 4:43 AM

No vaccine should be wasted. Get off your high horse.

by Anonymousreply 3March 26, 2021 4:46 AM

Depends on the state r3.

Florida has been surprisingly efficient. The opened it to 50 and above on Monday and my cousin said the state called on Sunday to set up appointments for this week. (they had pre-signed up with their county.)

by Anonymousreply 4March 26, 2021 4:48 AM

It's not necessarily "line jumping" - which is despicable - but depending on where you live, some places are giving you the vaccine whether you technically qualify for it or not, due to spoilage. There are also knuckle draggers that refuse to get it even when it's readily available to them.

by Anonymousreply 5March 26, 2021 4:50 AM

I got a call last week from a friend who was volunteering at a vaccine site (it will please r2 to know it was an inner-city, underserved area). They had more doses than registered appointments. My friend said if I could get there within two hours I could likely get a shot so I did. The extra doses would be thrown away. Not my fault they didn’t do a better job publicizing the event.

I could go back for my 2nd shot but was able to schedule it at a CVS much closer to town.

I don’t feel guilty at all but haven’t told anyone I got it earlier.

by Anonymousreply 6March 26, 2021 4:57 AM

Yes, R1, I had the same experience. My dad's country club had a vaccination event - it was for members with priority first on the the older members and then adult children could get them after they received theirs. I have to go to actually go to the MD for the second shot in a few weeks. Everyone who really wants one can get one so now they are offering more convenient ways for people to get them with bespoke MD's.

by Anonymousreply 7March 26, 2021 5:31 AM

Damn, I wish my parents could afford a country or golf club membership. Not for vaccine events, but so I wouldn't have to worry about their finances.

OP, it would depend on where I lived and vaccine availability. Also if they bragged, or had reasons such as wanting to spend time with high risk loved ones.

My cousin hasn't been able to see her first grandchild, and she's anxious to be vaccinated so that her daughter will allow a visit. I understand the motivation.

by Anonymousreply 8March 26, 2021 6:29 AM

The pandemic in general has made me rethink many relationships and see people in a new light.

For the most part it's whining, selfishness, and willful ignorance that has me wanting to smack faces.

Willingness to be vaccinated at least has overall benefits for society.

by Anonymousreply 9March 26, 2021 6:34 AM

Good article about just that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 26, 2021 6:40 AM

Julia Gillard is a classic case.

Why should a former Prime Minster who is older that me and but much much younger than my elderly mother and lots of other people gets vaccinated first. Unless she has any underlining health conditions apart from homophobia I can't see any justification.

But.....that is the world we live in.

Her reason - to encourage women to get vaccinated! The best advice she can give everyone is not to be a cunt like she is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 26, 2021 8:04 AM

R11 I’ll move Julia a few notches further down the DL Shit List

by Anonymousreply 12March 26, 2021 8:36 AM

I don't know why people are even publicly discussing getting vaccinated on social media if they're NOT in the groups allowed to get the vaccines in their areas. It just annoys the people who HAVEN'T gotten it and it makes the "line jumper" look bad even if it's a situation where they didn't do anything wrong but happened to be in the right place at the right time.

I'm trying to be patient but it still pisses me off when I see that some healthy 30something who isn't around susceptible people has gotten the vax and I haven't as a not that healthy 50something.

by Anonymousreply 13March 26, 2021 8:56 AM

I don’t support line-jumpers. On the other hand it’s in everyone’s interest that all get vaccinated. I propose we pull their pants down and spank their bare bottoms for the indiscretion.

by Anonymousreply 14March 26, 2021 9:09 AM

I am in NY. From the get go, NY's rule stated that people with the following conditions were eligible: "Cancer, active or in remission"

I am 35 but had a diagnosis of MALT - a carcinoma of the lymphatic system in the stomach when I was 20. I was told it was cured back then. But it qualified me for the vaccine. I didn't advertise the reason I got the shot.

by Anonymousreply 15March 26, 2021 9:29 AM

The vaccine should be opened up to all people regardless of age or condition, period.

by Anonymousreply 16March 26, 2021 9:46 AM

R16 Ideally yes but given it takes time to produce vaccines and time to inject people the 'more in need' should to be prioritised first.

I have not problem with current leaders (including opposition leaders) of countries getting the vaccine to help encourage people to get vaccinated but everyone else should be prioritised on a needs basis.

by Anonymousreply 17March 26, 2021 10:01 AM

It’s a numbers game rush to get to herd immunity before any of the scarier COVID variants take out more of us. Open it up.

by Anonymousreply 18March 26, 2021 10:22 AM

Younger people are spreading the variants so I think the shot should be open to all. That’s actually happening in almost all the states. The big problem is vaccine refusal not line jumping .

by Anonymousreply 19March 26, 2021 10:32 AM

OP, you are known by the company you keep.

by Anonymousreply 20March 26, 2021 10:43 AM

I wish there were more vaccines out there, where you can easily get it. It's ridiculous that it's so difficult and everything is booked. I don't know when I'll get the vaccine. I'm 66. I was thinking... way back, the polio vaccine...was that so hard to get at the time? Yes..this is in the 50s and early 60s...a long time ago. I was very young at the time. I'm sure it wasn't a mess like this distribution of the vaccine today.

by Anonymousreply 21March 26, 2021 10:47 AM

Connecticut is opening it up to 18+ next week, and some elderly who haven’t been vaccinated are bitching. I think CT is doing the right thing, vaccinate everyone who is willing ASAP.

by Anonymousreply 22March 26, 2021 10:52 AM

Detroit has started their mass vaccination clinics this week. Yesterday, they had so much extra due to no-shows that they alerted the news that vaccines were available for anybody over 16 who showed up as long as they got there by 6pm.

My friend's son, who is a healthy 20-something, got his vaccine due to a refrigerator failure at nearby college and someone called him asking if he wanted one.

by Anonymousreply 23March 26, 2021 11:14 AM

I got mine because they were closing up for the night and had a few doses left. Someone I know called and said to come if I wanted it. Who’s gonna say no to that? We’re all safer when more people get vaccinated.

by Anonymousreply 24March 26, 2021 11:18 AM

This is stupid OP. Everyone should get vaccinated as quickly as possible. A lot of states are already opening it up to everyone.

by Anonymousreply 25March 26, 2021 11:33 AM

A this point of pandemic, I have no issue w/this. I know in LA, Dodger Stadium (where I got Moderna) had to close early last weekend because there were lack of late day appointments. I'm more concerned about folks not getting vaccinated to achieve herd immunity.

by Anonymousreply 26March 26, 2021 11:34 AM

[quote]All are healthy, work from home, have low risk profiles, and are not yet eligible for vaccination in my state. I consider this unethical when there are still millions of people more deserving ahead of them, but they're being rather glib about it.

If it were always a case where healthy people do not get sick if they contract COVID, I'd agree, but we've all heard stories about supposedly "healthy" people with no apparent co-morbidities who got sick and died (Nick Cordero for one). Especially when some states are vaccinating everyone over 18 (Connecticut), a neighboring state is vaccinating those over 50 (New York) and yet another nearby state is still not vaccination the general population under 65 (New Jersey), I'd say if you can find a way to get it, get it.

Your friends could theoretically be taking away a slot from someone who could 'legally' get one but can't find a slot, like R21, but as R18 points out, it's a benefit to all of us to have as many people vaccinated as possible.

(Full disclosure: I received my vaccine as part of the J&J trial in December and asked to be unblinded once my age group, 60+, became eligible in NY. Turns out I got the real thing, so I'm good, although my 49-year old partner is still waiting)

by Anonymousreply 27March 26, 2021 11:35 AM

There should be more of an effort to get the vaccine to the elderly who have a difficult time getting the vaccine. The wrong thing is that NYC only opened vaccination centers to people from poor zip codes and these people didn’t show up. I’m not sure if this is still being done.

When will we learn? It’s like blindly pumping money into “underserved” school districts without a plan to show results from the influx of cash. Those tactics benefit no one.

by Anonymousreply 28March 26, 2021 12:15 PM

as long as even one trans sexworker of color remains unvaccinated, then we’ve failed as a society.

by Anonymousreply 29March 26, 2021 12:23 PM

R27 = old

by Anonymousreply 30March 26, 2021 12:24 PM

[QUOTE] I'm more concerned about black folks not getting vaccinated to achieve herd immunity.

Fixed, and I agree

by Anonymousreply 31March 26, 2021 12:25 PM

I see your point, OP, but ever thought of asking them about why they line-jumped?

by Anonymousreply 32March 26, 2021 12:30 PM

The line jumpers are not preventing anyone else from getting the vaccine. As news stories have pointed out, thousands of vaccines have been wasted because there was not one to get them.

A friend went to a FEMA site and said that they kept winking as they listed the restrictions because they just wanted people to get the vaccines.

It should not be a free for all, but without any centralized distribution policy and organized information sources, what else can happen? Some sites are booked while others sit idle waiting for walk-ins. It is the idle sites that are loose with the restrictions. Better that than wasted vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 33March 26, 2021 12:40 PM

[quote]I have a few friends in their 30s and 40s

What do their ages have to do with anything?

by Anonymousreply 34March 26, 2021 12:50 PM

Who cares. Everyone should get a vaccine any way they can. This is exactly why the criteria are loose and aren't really checked.

by Anonymousreply 35March 26, 2021 12:53 PM

New York is open for anyone with pre-existing conditions but all you have to do is attest to it. No other proof necessary.

by Anonymousreply 36March 26, 2021 12:54 PM

[quote] Florida has been surprisingly efficient. The opened it to 50 and above on Monday and my cousin said the state called on Sunday to set up appointments for this week

The governor prioritized old people (over the CDC recommendations) and opened extra sites in more conservative counties. Disgusting how politics plays a role.

by Anonymousreply 37March 26, 2021 12:55 PM

[quote] There should be more of an effort to get the vaccine to the elderly who have a difficult time getting the vaccine. The wrong thing is that NYC only opened vaccination centers to people from poor zip codes and these people didn’t show up. I’m not sure if this is still being done. When will we learn? It’s like blindly pumping money into “underserved” school districts without a plan to show results from the influx of cash. Those tactics benefit no one.

You're premise is absolutely wrong. Yes, patients in poor neighborhood have absolutely been showing up and getting vaccinated. And NYC has opened vaccination centers all over the place, not just in poor neighborhoods.

by Anonymousreply 38March 26, 2021 12:58 PM

This is such nonsense. People getting vaccinated no matter what category they fall into benefits everyone. Stop with the knee jerk liberal reaction.

by Anonymousreply 39March 26, 2021 12:59 PM

I THINK? the real problem are the people who make appointments who claim they have a underlying condition lying about it and when they show up NO ONE checks out their story?... while you can't judge a book by it's cover, when i took my mother to get her 2 shots, i saw plenty of people NOT 65 or older, who didn't look like they worked at a hospital /front line workers, etc or had any underlying condition (heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity, etc) there.....and this was during the morning and afternoon, NOT near closing per the last sentence below:

i asked a worker there and she told me plenty of people show up every day towards closing time KNOWING that they'll be leftover that will go to waste and get shots then and there, no appointment necessary...

by Anonymousreply 40March 26, 2021 1:07 PM

There’s nothing wrong with showing up to get unused vaccines. In fact it’s a great thing to do.

by Anonymousreply 41March 26, 2021 1:12 PM

R4, as a Florida resident, I can attest that the roll out has been completely inefficient. Part of the reason FEMA had to open so many sites here is because distribution was so spotty.

After two weeks of trying to get an appointment with no luck (checking multiple retailers four times a day as well as hospitals), I finally did one of the FEMA walk in sites.

Getting an appointment for the vaccine is VERY hard here, even if you are in a priority group. If it were not for the federal government stepping in, I doubt we would have half the vaccinated people we do.

by Anonymousreply 42March 26, 2021 1:19 PM

I have a friend in her 50s who is jumped the line this week by claiming an eligible status on a technicality that she knows is not legitimate. She told me sheepishly--because she told me weeks ago that her husband did the same thing and she was ashamed of him.

She is a super-liberal activist. She is "team Democrat" in a way I see as hyper partisan. (I'm also a Democrat, but she worships Obama, Pelosi, Clinton, Biden and every Democrat in power the way MAGAs worship Trump, and she doesn't tolerate criticism for anything.)

She has really shown me her hypocrisy and her true nature recently and I'm surprised. I have known her for a decade.

When she told me about her husband getting the vaccine, she was angry at him. Yesterday, she told me in confidence that she did the same thing.

She asked me if I was judging her.

Yes, I said.

She then apologized and then became defensive and started spewing excuses, such as she's only a few years from 60 and 60 would make her eligible.

I said OK.

She asked again if I was judging her.

I said yes, I have to be honest.

She said, "Hey, man! It's every man for himself now!"

I have health conditions that may make me vulnerable but none of the exact conditions listed as eligibility criteria and so I am just on the general waiting list. I will not cut in front of a grandma with diabetes.

by Anonymousreply 43March 26, 2021 1:20 PM

R40 and again you act as if people getting vaccinated is a bad thing?

by Anonymousreply 44March 26, 2021 1:21 PM

There’s a difference between making up BS and getting a call to come and use up doses at the end of the night that will be of no use to anyone tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 45March 26, 2021 1:22 PM

OP, if you're concerned about line cheaters, what if you volunteered to assist more eligible folks get vaccinated. Check your respective city, county and state health department websites for opps.

by Anonymousreply 46March 26, 2021 1:23 PM

While i agree on one hand that showing up and getting a vaccine when it's going to be thrown away is a overall good thing for the population and not just that person, IT IS a matter of principle, i say PRINCIPLE to not cut in front of those who are the most vulnerable and who are still STILL trying to get a shot, heck, even make a appointment (i.e. no computer, no one to help them make a appointment, etc.)

by Anonymousreply 47March 26, 2021 1:24 PM

You people who are whining about this are fucking idiots. It betters all of us that more people get vaccinated. If some people know how to manipulate the system so the fuck what? It helps everyone. This is not a bad thing.

by Anonymousreply 48March 26, 2021 1:25 PM

I just read an article stating we are on track to have hundreds of millions of extra vaccines soon. Watch, in a month or so , everyone will be eligible. Joe isn’t playing around.

by Anonymousreply 49March 26, 2021 1:27 PM

[quote] There is no such thing as an injection "event" for poor people.

Ok then, you pay for an event for them. Problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 50March 26, 2021 1:29 PM

R49 DC is under 10 percent fully vaccinated. I just don't see it happening. Even on the registration page, the city government writes, DC NEEDS MORE VACCINE!!

According to the current phasing, I won't even be considered eligible until at least May 1.

by Anonymousreply 51March 26, 2021 1:33 PM

[quote] I saw plenty of people NOT 65 or older, who didn't look like they worked at a hospital /front line workers, etc or had any underlying condition (heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure,

This is absolutely, jaw-dtoppingly ridiculous. How the fuck would you know what a hospital/front line worked looks like? Or be able to tell if someone has heart disease or diabetes? Truly in awe of this statement

by Anonymousreply 52March 26, 2021 1:34 PM

[quote] while you can't judge a book by it's cover, when i took my mother to get her 2 shots, i saw plenty of people NOT 65 or older, who didn't look like they worked at a hospital /front line workers, etc or had any underlying condition (heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity, etc) there..

You state that you can't judge a book by its cover ...and then go on to judge a book by its cover. The underlying disease list is HUGE. You can't tell what someone may have just by looking at them.

by Anonymousreply 53March 26, 2021 1:34 PM

To be honest, I'm envious of those vaccine jumpers.

by Anonymousreply 54March 26, 2021 1:35 PM

Within a month, we will be awash with vaccine. Every adult will be able to be vaccinated. We're almost there.

by Anonymousreply 55March 26, 2021 1:35 PM

The point is for every adult to get a vaccine. Sure, there are a few who are cheating the system, but by a vast majority, everything is going as planned.

In a few weeks there will be enough for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 56March 26, 2021 1:38 PM

Every vaccine site should have a stand-by line as part of its setup

Why should any go to waste?

by Anonymousreply 57March 26, 2021 1:43 PM

I can't help but feel resentment towards people jumping in, before being eligible. I should be able to get my shot now, I've registered at different sites...yet nothing. Of course, if there are vaccines available at the end of the day...then don't let it go to waste. Give them to anyone who is available at the time. I also understand, by reason, that the more people are vaccinated, the better...no matter who gets it. I've given up for now, trying to find a vaccine as it's frustrating. I'll get it at some time. CVS gives out the shot....but you have to check appointment availability everyday, early morning between 4 to 6 am. If you can wake up that early, everything is booked. I mean...really? Come on.

by Anonymousreply 58March 26, 2021 1:46 PM

Try getting an appointment in South Carolina even if you are eligible. Places keep running out of vaccine and to sign-up is too bureaucratic or not being accepted. I went to another state (of former residence) and got it done, easily. It was legal, and the only problem was the long drive which I did twice.

by Anonymousreply 59March 26, 2021 1:48 PM

The way I see it, if you're a healthy person who is willing to lie to cut in line in front of people who are at high risk of exposure or who are at high risk of dying from it, then you are a person of poor character.

You're the type of person who would be dangerous if you were rich, and the type of person who would not think twice about causing harm to others for your own benefit, and rationalizing having done so in a way that would clear your conscience. You may as well have been part of the Trump administration.

You have the same character as Kellyanne Conway, Bill Barr and Omarosa.

by Anonymousreply 60March 26, 2021 1:52 PM

I am in CA and here, it was supposed to be only elderly people, frontline workers, etc. They made it about a week or so ago that people with underlying health issues could get it. I have one of those issues.

I went to get my first dose this week and saw a good third of the people were in their 20s and 30s.

CVS is where I went and they ask you to attest (by checking a box on the website when you sign up) that you are eligible, but they do not validate or verify your eligibility. They damn sure check your insurance, though (made me give them my SSN to find my insurance online).

I have also heard that some of the mass vaccination sites have lots of doses left at the end of the day and so they will vaccinate anyone who stops by to make sure it doesn't go to waste.

(They just announced here an expansion - everyone over 50 by April 1 and everyone period by the 15th)

by Anonymousreply 61March 26, 2021 1:54 PM

In Chicago, in certain under privileged neighborhoods anyone over 18 could get the Pfizer covid shot. I've had my first one and have to wait unto 4/12 to get the second one.

by Anonymousreply 62March 26, 2021 1:58 PM

I have a non medical, non service industry job, but was deemed an essential worker because of the nature of my job and got the vaccine back in February. I have no guilt or issues about jumping the line.

The way I see it is everyone needs to be vaccinated and I don't care who gets it first. This drama about line jumpers and who gets to go first and when is silly. Just be happy that people are getting it and knowing that with each new jab in the arm we get that much closer to herd immunity and can finally get back to some semblance of normalcy.

by Anonymousreply 63March 26, 2021 1:58 PM

R62 I’m in Chicago also you don’t have to wait for the second dose because of availability but because of the timing of the dose correct?

by Anonymousreply 64March 26, 2021 2:10 PM

R63 I completely agree. I’m a volunteer and was able to get vaccinated because of my status. I have absolutely no guilt about getting vaccinated.

by Anonymousreply 65March 26, 2021 2:12 PM

Sixteen+ y.o.smokers qualify as an underlying health condition. Why bother with these qualifiers?

Much of this vaccine is just sitting in distribution centers. The delays and layers of approval required to get to service provider locations are absurd.

Just get the vaccine to the people and cut out the politics and bureaucratic roadblocks. Too many are hesitant to receive the vaccine anyway. Making it unncessarily more difficult isn't helping.

by Anonymousreply 66March 26, 2021 2:13 PM

What R5 said. Vaccines are going to waste and doctors are advising anyone who has access to a vaccine to take it. I “used a connection” aka caught word of an opportunity that was available to me, and I “jumped the line” aka signed up for an available slot at the date I was offered.

OP’s literal policing of other people’s perceived health and risk factors, and his noted “concern” about these “relationships,” all sound like the usual trolling that’s become so commonplace here lately. They all operate from a divisive stance, and exploit existing tensions, like the vaccine rollout, the disproportionate and inequitable distribution re: race and income level, and the Covidiots who refuse it. Seen through that lens, shaming anyone who “jumps the line” is an obvious troll tactic; you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

by Anonymousreply 67March 26, 2021 2:18 PM

I feel like I jumped the line, yet I’m around a lot of elderly folks helping with food delivery and I’m 59 myself!

The informality of the system’s protocols are easily exploited.

by Anonymousreply 68March 26, 2021 2:22 PM

So many vaccines in Texas are going to waste, our local judge posted on social media yesterday that anyone could go yesterday afternoon to get a vaccine at the local site because they had vaccines and volunteers but no one signed up for an appointment. OP playing hall monitor is fucking annoying. If people want the shot, let them get it

by Anonymousreply 69March 26, 2021 2:24 PM

R64 correct. The UI clinic tells you when to go back for the second shot. When I got the first one all I had was a bit of soreness and off I went. But it's not line jumping when the mayor tells you to go get it. Last Monday, There was big push by Mayor Lightfoot for anyone over 18 in my neighborhood to get it.

by Anonymousreply 70March 26, 2021 2:25 PM

I waited until it opened for 50+, my group. Some friends claimed to be smokers to jump in line. Normally, I don't mind shouldering my way to the front of a line, but I didn't feel comfortable doing it this time. I'm working remotely and didn't want to take vaccine from someone who could benefit from it more than I could.

That said, I was fucking giddy on Tuesday when I got my first jab. Get 2nd one in three weeks.

by Anonymousreply 71March 26, 2021 2:33 PM

I didn’t jump the line, I signed up like I was supposed to in February. I’m 55 with asthma and I got my first shot two weeks ago. In Virginia there’s plenty of vaccine and the rollout has been very efficient. If there’s vaccines available, get one. It’s good for everyone, and why drag this out more than necessary? We are now at the point where the more vulnerable groups that wanted the vaccine have gotten it.

by Anonymousreply 72March 26, 2021 2:36 PM

GIVE HER THE SHOT!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 73March 26, 2021 2:38 PM

I really can't blame the line jumpers, but what is disgusting is that many are the republicans that said it was "no big deal" back in January 2020. Two people I work with constantly gave me shit about my following the progress of the virus since it showed up in reports from China. They are both rabid republicans. All the way till the March lockdown I had to hear how Trump was handling it and I was over-reacting. I started to work from home in March, and have not been back yet. But these two people told me over a month ago, they had made appointments way before they were supposed to get it. My theory is that a client got them in under the door. I was vaccinated on Monday the 15th under the California pre-existing opening and took a doctor's letter.

by Anonymousreply 74March 26, 2021 2:44 PM

California is finally opening up to those over 50 next week, but so many of our neighbors and friends have been saying you can just go and nobody checks. I took my mother twice for hers and they checked everything THREE times.

I don't understand how they got vaccinated but I'm waiting my turn.

by Anonymousreply 75March 26, 2021 2:54 PM

R74 I know two dumpsters who got vaccinated because I was there at the same time as them. Fucking hypocrites.

by Anonymousreply 76March 26, 2021 2:54 PM

Which is more infuriating? People jumping the line or vaccines going into the trash? Every vaccination site should have a publicized cancellation line. No dose should go to waste. I don’t care if people jump the line. Anyone who wants to get vaccinated should be able to get it. Let’s just get this done.

by Anonymousreply 77March 26, 2021 2:55 PM

R77 that's an awesome idea, they totally should have a Will Call that starts at, say, 3 pm. If they have leftovers and more than their appts for the day, then start taking the Will Call people, regardless of "eligibility."

by Anonymousreply 78March 26, 2021 2:59 PM

[QUOTE] I have health conditions that may make me vulnerable

In other words, you’re grossly obese with sores on feet

by Anonymousreply 79March 26, 2021 3:01 PM

Vaccines for 16 and up in Arizona! If there's grass on the field, let's play ball!

by Anonymousreply 80March 26, 2021 3:08 PM

R39, Liberal here. You wouldn't have a vax readily available to you at all if I hadn't voted your lord and savior tRump out of office. Moron.

by Anonymousreply 81March 26, 2021 3:21 PM

Israel is crushing the coronavirus and its variants. We, Americans could too, wejust gotta get it into as much arms asap!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82March 26, 2021 3:34 PM

R81, that is lost on fool trolls like these. We’d still be in the ‘vaccinations wars’ with red and blue states and the Covid deaths would be escalating exponentially. 539,000 people DEAD and these idiots think that the previous administration’s incompetence was strength! What a joke.

by Anonymousreply 83March 26, 2021 3:40 PM

R21, refreshing your browser until you find an appt really helps. I got my slot by doing that. Qualified under the NYS rules but still felt guilty for some reason. Been trying to help older or less tech savvy people get their appointments as a pay back for my good fortune. Worth noting, I have an older sister in WI. First to qualify for vaccination in our family. Now the only one of us not vaccinated.

Voted for Trump.

by Anonymousreply 84March 26, 2021 3:41 PM

If we banned dump voters from getting the vaccine, they’d all be vaccinated in a week, just to pwn us.

by Anonymousreply 85March 26, 2021 3:57 PM

OP, the COVID-19 vaccine will spoil after you open the vial. You have to use it quickly once the vial is open.

To make sure they inject all of the vaccine and not waste any of it, the health care workers will give the leftovers to anybody that shows up at the door and waits around.

I have several friends that pulled that stunt. Age and other qualifications are thrown out for leftovers.

by Anonymousreply 86March 26, 2021 4:03 PM

Mr r58 is in the privileged group. and angry that other people are sharing in her privilege. Before there was a vaccine people were perfectly fine staying home and social distancing. So either wait around for extras or keep looking for slots. I think after the first group all states should have opened these vaccines up to everyone. Could have gotten a lot of those Spring Breakers at least halfway vaccinated before they bum rushed the beaches. My group is about to open up in my area but at this rate everyone should be open to get the darn shot.

by Anonymousreply 87March 26, 2021 4:16 PM

Flip side r60, every one of those people are reducing that high risk person chance of direct exposure. It’s not the line cutters gumming up the appointments, it’s the people eligible mixed with a decentralized mess of public and private inefficiency.

by Anonymousreply 88March 26, 2021 4:21 PM

The US rollout by state has been all over the place. Lots of "line jumpers" probably. But we're much better off than Europe. Tons of rules and regulations so very few people have had a shot. Now the varriants are creating new lockdowns.

The more line jumpers the better im my opinion. Open the doors to everyone (once elderly and essential workers are done) so we can get this thing over.

by Anonymousreply 89March 26, 2021 4:31 PM

[quote]There is no such thing as an injection "event" for poor people.

Thinning the herd.

by Anonymousreply 90March 26, 2021 4:44 PM

I think many states have more than enough vaccines to open it up to everyone - I think some are so concerned with being woke that they want to appear they are putting those at risk first. The truth of the matter is people are too stupid to behave properly i.e. wear masks, avoid social situations - so they should just get to herd immunity as quickly as possible, with those that are willing to get the shot(s).

I'm more annoyed by those that won't get it - or those that say 'I'm waiting for the J&J one and done shot' - because for some idiots getting two shots is apparently too much work.

by Anonymousreply 91March 26, 2021 5:00 PM

R89, I think part of the problem is there has been no US rollout. It’s state by state which has led to confusion, frustration and politics.

by Anonymousreply 92March 26, 2021 5:01 PM

Just get it if you can (legally). Those Spring Breakers are gonna spread it far and wide soon, the sooner you get vaccinated the better.

by Anonymousreply 93March 26, 2021 5:23 PM

This is why we need medicare for all.

by Anonymousreply 94March 26, 2021 5:25 PM

This would not happen under dump. Everyone will get a vaccine soon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95March 26, 2021 5:33 PM

There's a vaccine shortage in Los Angeles and it says it on the cities web site. I'm trying to make an appointment for any of the Carbon heath POD sites LA uses. ZERO appointment are available right now including Dodger Stadium. What the fuck is that all about?

by Anonymousreply 96March 26, 2021 5:38 PM

They just announced new eligibility, r96. Everyone, including you, is trying to get an appointment right now.

by Anonymousreply 97March 26, 2021 5:41 PM

R96 - You need to go to the pharmacy sites like CVS and Rtie Aid. Keep refreshing and be willing to drive a bit. I have line jumper friends who did things to qualify (doing uber eats runs to qualify). They were able to get appts quickly. Going to the mass vaccinations sites is trickier.

by Anonymousreply 98March 26, 2021 5:43 PM

Also, R96, people are saying that someone from CVS said that the best time to book is at 3-4am PST. Allegedly, CVS reboots its slots on EST. I don't know if that is true.

by Anonymousreply 99March 26, 2021 5:45 PM

R87...I don't think it's about privilege, it's just that this vaccine is on the news constantly...urging everyone to get a vaccine ad nauseam, and it is a crisis for everyone. Everyone should get this vaccine, the more, the better and sooner. It's been a terrible year. What frustrates me is the bureacracy and red tape in order to get these vaccines distributed. Someone up thread said they are sitting in warehouses...waiting for the approval to be released. With the crisis the past year, you would think it would be better organized and systematic in getting the shots out quickly and to everyone, instead of using phases for different people who qualify. This reminds me of any kind of disaster aid, such as a hurricane/tornado/wildfires...where people donate money, clothing and goods, and water for areas that need immediate relief...then everything is still sitting in a warehouse not benefitting anyone. The government sucks in aiding when really needed. I will say that Biden is trying and making this his priority, versus the clusterfuck of a potus the last four years.

by Anonymousreply 100March 26, 2021 5:46 PM

I'm not talking about end-of-day vaccine doses that would otherwise be wasted, nor whether anyone feels the vaccine *should* be available to everyone. Enough with the obfuscation. The reality is, where I live, there are elderly people, first-responders, and people with comorbidities who still can't get appointments. The friends I'm referring to used their connections or lied in order to get actual appointments, going back to February. They claimed to live with elderly relatives or to have conditions like diabetes that made them secure an appointment that would otherwise have been unavailable to them. Their reasons were some variation of "I'm just so over this". Their age is relevant because they're simply not in a high-risk group. So in this case, their line-jumping definitely displaced someone else. Disappointing how many self-serving cunts there are out there — most of this thread included.

by Anonymousreply 101March 26, 2021 5:47 PM

I know people like this OP, they lied and claim that they smoke or are high risk with health problems they do not have. I do not like how they did this but we are not close friends at all...

by Anonymousreply 102March 26, 2021 5:51 PM

[Quote] They just announced new eligibility, [R96]. Everyone, including you, is trying to get an appointment right now.

NO r97 that's not the reason. There where none before they announced anything. I've looking this entire time.

by Anonymousreply 103March 26, 2021 5:53 PM

It’s the Titanic and I’m getting in a lifeboat ok? Now fuck off!

by Anonymousreply 104March 26, 2021 5:53 PM

Right... The rich a-hole in the movie, Titanic....who grabs a crying child in order to get in a lifeboat.

by Anonymousreply 105March 26, 2021 5:56 PM

For LA people, I just had a look at CVS. There are appointments in LA County:

Simi Valley

Sylmar

Hawaiian Garden

There are a ton in Ventura (Camarillo, Oxnard)

All of these place are less than an hour from WeHo area.

by Anonymousreply 106March 26, 2021 5:59 PM

It varies so much state to state. Mine happens to not have a shortage and to be efficiently distributing it so there’s no need to line jump. However, we were creeping along for several months and then suddenly everything started to snap into place, so maybe this will happen in other states as well. I was told they had already vaccinated seven thousand people at the place I went to, and it was only noon. Even the college kids can get the vaccine as long as they sign up, they’ll be able to have it within the next month. You can also walk into CVS and Safeway and get it if they have extras. I’m glad whenever anyone gets it, although some are refusing.

by Anonymousreply 107March 26, 2021 6:10 PM

Op, the elderly had since at least January to get their shit together. People in their families should have been helping them. If they managed to avoid getting COVID since March 2020 then I think they can wait through this confusing bum rush. It may sound unfair, but we can’t let the issues of a small minority hold back the majority. Especially as thousands of dosages go to waste. The people you mentioned were unethical to some but I never believed in this classism of groups. I’ll concede that it’s good for the majority to give first responders, nursing homes patients/workers, and teachers (get kids in school) the shots early. Many of them had since December to get vaccinated. Remember the nurses from the Gays Over COVID drama? I would have ended that practice by of exclusivity by March 1st.

That said, Biden is doing a great job. I’m still waiting for my first shot. Waiting sucks but I’m not special and rules are rules. I sincerely hope you and those you know get your vaccines ASAP.

by Anonymousreply 108March 26, 2021 6:26 PM

for weeks in LA there were a lot of openings and a lot of no shows. Vaccine techs were telling many people they were destroying a shocking amount of vaccines on no shows. Maybe they have developed an algorithm to limit appointments to minimize what they have had to destroy.

I had several friends cruise into Dodger stadium with a minimal wait. Some locations seem to be rigid on asking about the eligibility, others just stick it in.

by Anonymousreply 109March 26, 2021 6:36 PM

I disapprove but I understand. This is the greatest catastrophe of many of our lifetimes. It's kinda Lord of the Flies. The vaccines are the way out. The vaccines are peace of mind. It's been a year of this shit. I don't approve but I understand.

I'd make that clear to anybody who boasts about line jumping. Do what you have to, just shut up about it.

By our phasing where I live I roughly qualify for the second phase. I am mid fifties (not qualified), history of mild asthma (respiratory disease lets you in.) It may not be bad enough asthma I should qualify. But I am not prepared to find out the hard way, so I am ready to register.

You do what you have to. I doesn't absolve anything, but not much should be surprising after the last year.

by Anonymousreply 110March 26, 2021 6:46 PM

I am in Palm Springs and booked CVS midday. There were plenty of appts open.

by Anonymousreply 111March 26, 2021 6:51 PM

R103 is Boris

by Anonymousreply 112March 26, 2021 6:52 PM

I am of two minds on this. There were many ways to get the shot early that did not involve lying: volunteer at vaccine center, get on a waiting list from a pharmacy or vaccine center for leftover shots at the end of the day, hang out at pharmacy at end of day (many had sign up sheets) Or, as noted above, country clubs had events for older members and also had leftover shots.

But most all of those were easier for affluent people to pull off-- no one is firing them for taking off three days to work at a vaccine center or taking off early to wait at CVS--especially given that everyone is working from home.

But more and more slots are opening up and it's no longer an issue.

by Anonymousreply 113March 26, 2021 6:53 PM

It's fascinating how disjointed it is. Some people can get one almost on demand, others wait and scheme. Why shouldn't this be a disaster too, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 114March 26, 2021 6:55 PM

[quote] You have the same character as Kellyanne Conway, Bill Barr and Omarosa.

You cut me to the quick.

by Anonymousreply 115March 26, 2021 6:56 PM

It’s not a disaster. Shots are getting into arms at an amazing pace.

A few whiners does not a disaster make.

by Anonymousreply 116March 26, 2021 6:56 PM

As much as I understand the elderly getting it first, part of me thinks it would have been wise to inoculate college students or anyone about to travel - because wouldn't it make sense to reduce their capacity to spread the disease?

Or maybe focus on the top 50 tourist towns and let them all vaccinate any and everyone who wants it?

Just thinking beyond basic protection to, how do we get this to stop.

by Anonymousreply 117March 26, 2021 6:57 PM

R116 must have got her COVID shot.

If not her distemper.

by Anonymousreply 118March 26, 2021 7:09 PM

There are just too many fucking people these days. Everything takes fucking forever because of so many people, everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 119March 26, 2021 7:13 PM

R119 NEVER visit India or China.

by Anonymousreply 120March 26, 2021 7:14 PM

Cal State LA just announced they are closing their FEMA run vaccine site that just started in Feb? WTFF!!!!! Why? I can't find their reason for closing. Just as 16 and over will start. This is the bullshit I'm talking about in SoCal. Can't find an appointments and now they closing a site serving mostly low income area of LA. Fucking bulling!

by Anonymousreply 121March 26, 2021 7:14 PM

* BULLSHIT!!!!

by Anonymousreply 122March 26, 2021 7:15 PM

[quote]There are just too many fucking people these days. Everything takes fucking forever because of so many people, everywhere.

It’s a problem.

by Anonymousreply 123March 26, 2021 7:16 PM

That’s bizarre r122. Most places are ramping up sites.

by Anonymousreply 124March 26, 2021 7:16 PM

In California something like 30% of people don't show up to scheduled vaccine appointments. If you know people who can get you the jab and you're there at the right time, it's fine to get vaccinated because otherwise those vaccines will go to waste. Jumping in line would be pretending to have a chronic illness or pretending to be a front line worker.

by Anonymousreply 125March 26, 2021 7:19 PM

It is unethical to book an appointment if you don't qualify for a shot yet. I saw a couple of 'how to get a vaccine tutorials' online and they just glossed past the part where they lied about having co-morbidities or underlying conditions "just fill out these questions super quick" it really grossed me out. It's a real online type of neoliberalism where everyone's like "yes girl well done for doing your part for your community" when in fact the total opposite circumstance is at play. Of course people need to be vaccinated but it's not an at-all-costs situation. And of course nobody can resist the temptation to post about it. People just cannot not post for some reason. Even when what they're doing is totally wrong. And then all the people that are doing the exact same unethical thing comment "oh well done go you" because it assuages their own guilt in an additive way.

I think waiting at vaccine sites in a way that doesn't disturb the functionality of the site is great. And everyone does need to be vaccinated. And obviously the people refusing the vaccine are the worst but it doesn't excuse the fact that people lying about being agricultural workers of having previously had cancer is wrong. But if you're going to do that take ownership of it, don't play like you're "thinking about your community" - people have no shame.

by Anonymousreply 126March 26, 2021 7:29 PM

The rampant obesity in younger people has worked to their advantage. I have two friends in their 20s who both got it because they qualified as obese.

by Anonymousreply 127March 26, 2021 7:39 PM

People are hilarious, before they came out everyone was not keen to go first but now it’s all hands on deck to game the system.

by Anonymousreply 128March 26, 2021 7:45 PM

Cuomo lay down harsh penalties for unauthorized vaccination in NYS, so I have doubts if New York has had any line-jumpers. I remember hearing about an Orthodox temple that was offering vaccinations to their congregation in January(!!), but don't remember hearing what came of that.

by Anonymousreply 129March 26, 2021 7:49 PM

I resisted doing it for a long time, but finally jumped the line by four weeks, and I’m not proud of it. It’s like the Hunger Games out there.

by Anonymousreply 130March 26, 2021 7:54 PM

I just don't see any way you can define "getting a vaccine shot" as "selfish" -- getting vaccinated is not just for the person getting the shot, it is for everyone. It's in the interest of everyone that everyone be vaccinated. The Titanic metaphor doesn't work because Billy Zane getting off the boat didn't stop the boat from sinking. In terms of this disease Billy Zane hopping into the lifeboat would make the ship raise up a little bit and save everybody.

by Anonymousreply 131March 26, 2021 8:11 PM

R131 it’s just jealousy

by Anonymousreply 132March 26, 2021 8:29 PM

Yeah, r17. The CDC should have been camped out in FL, and at every major college campus in America offering shots to college aged kids. I mean, how much better would it have been to get those thousands of kids in PCB and Miami to get vaccinated while on the beach!

by Anonymousreply 133March 26, 2021 9:02 PM

That was for r117^

by Anonymousreply 134March 26, 2021 9:02 PM

No R131 sorry - getting the vaccine in the order that you’re supposed to get it is helping the community. However getting the vaccine thru lying and skipping ahead is not doing it in the way that the relevant healthy authorities want it to be done or are recommending it be done. So you are being selfish, because for it to work properly the authorities are doing it in stages - and you’re not going by their planning. It’s fine I get it you want to be safe - but don’t package your selfishness as responsible community behaviour, b/c it’s not.

by Anonymousreply 135March 26, 2021 9:59 PM

If MALARIA TRUMP and all the Asshole Trump kids can get a vaccine I have no qualms about anyone else jumping the line.

by Anonymousreply 136March 26, 2021 10:07 PM

OP you do realize that “jumping the queue” is human nature? People pay for it all the time, just take a flight to see this in action. And honestly, if these people were depriving those who really need it, there would be reports all over the place.

by Anonymousreply 137March 26, 2021 10:23 PM

Just got my first shot today. I'm 45 and healthy as a horse. I was on a wait list to get a call if surplus became available. I had three hours to get there, so I got there.

by Anonymousreply 138March 26, 2021 10:30 PM

I don't think some of you here fully understand what is going on in huge cities. You can't get appointments or the don't have the vaccine. It's not that we don't want the vaccine it's that it's so over crowded you can't get in or there's nothing left.

by Anonymousreply 139March 26, 2021 11:36 PM

R110 is going to jump the line with her mild asthma and an elderly sex worker of color will suffer for it

by Anonymousreply 140March 26, 2021 11:48 PM

I really don't give a shit if people are jumping in line, it's all about getting vaccinated.

by Anonymousreply 141March 26, 2021 11:48 PM

I don’t know if I’m considered a line jumper, I’m 43 and a phase 2 in terms of the vaccine rollout but a few weeks ago I received an email with a scheduling link so I made an appointment and got my first dose last week.

All of my doctors are within the same health system and that health system is vaccinating all active patients who live in my city. I asked the nurse who administered my vaccine and she said she thinks vaccines are being offered to all patients who live in the city, make regular appointments and have a patient portal account.

I have a patient portal account and I never miss my annual appointments so I got a vaccine, there was no registration involved.

by Anonymousreply 142March 27, 2021 1:39 AM

Jumping the line means lying or omitting the truth to get the vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 143March 27, 2021 1:46 AM

Got mine today. I have volunteered for 15 years with a large animal rescue organization--they have multiple veterinary offices. Veterinarians and support staff have been eligible in my state for about a month now. The CEO sent a letter that covered employees and volunteers for appointments. I got my shot at CVS, I brought the letter with me but they 100% do not verify eligibility claims. Initially I resisted signing up for a vaccine but healthcare and food service volunteers received vaccines when their groups became eligible and I figured, why not? I'm putting myself out there when I volunteer to take care of the animals.

by Anonymousreply 144March 27, 2021 2:14 AM

. If they will only just do it faster, stop with the vaccine selfies so that the line can move faster.

by Anonymousreply 145March 27, 2021 2:50 AM

r144 you're a lovely person for volunteering your time at an animal shelter.

by Anonymousreply 146March 27, 2021 2:53 AM

I have a friend who said she received the J&J vaccine last week? She's not in any group or age that can get it right now. Is the J&J available to the public now?

SHADEY!

by Anonymousreply 147March 27, 2021 2:54 AM

r146 fell right into it.

by Anonymousreply 148March 27, 2021 2:55 AM

r148 is a heartless cunt.

by Anonymousreply 149March 27, 2021 2:56 AM

Gurls, I am feeling the pressure to jump the line. Once everyone can get vaccinated it will be impossible to get an appt. Tell me I am a conniving, thoughtless whore that is stealing from people who need it. I am feeling anxious!

by Anonymousreply 150March 28, 2021 7:35 PM

Yeah op and also aren't some nurses selling blank vaccination forms?

by Anonymousreply 151March 28, 2021 7:48 PM

It's a tricky one.

If you're a doctor's and you've finished your vaccination session on a Friday, and you've had no shows and x amount of shots are left, you don't want to waste any, isn't it right that they have a reserve list of essential workers that they can call to use up any spare shots in the vials?

After all, isn't it better that more people get at least one shot now, to help reduce transmission?

by Anonymousreply 152March 28, 2021 7:55 PM

I don't think that's what OP is talking about.

by Anonymousreply 153March 28, 2021 7:58 PM

I know several younger, healthy people (mid-20s) who were diagnosed with asthma in childhood, don't even require/use inhalers anymore, and used that diagnosis to get vaccinated.

by Anonymousreply 154March 28, 2021 8:00 PM

Quit bitching. Get vaccines anytime anyway you can. Shots in arms. There's no time to worry about your turn now. The elder population got their turn, now it's open to all. There are plenty of vaccines now. Roll up your sleeves and get in line.

by Anonymousreply 155March 28, 2021 8:08 PM

FUCK those elderly people who still can't schedule a vaccination appointment. THEY HAD THEIR CHANCE AND IT'S OUR TURN NOW, BITCHES!! It's all about SHOTS IN ARMS!

by Anonymousreply 156March 28, 2021 8:18 PM

It is not as if the line jumpers are preventing anyone in a priority group from getting the vaccine.

The walk in sites are closing up because there are so few people coming in for vaccines.

by Anonymousreply 157March 28, 2021 8:36 PM

Just give them to anyone and everyone by now. Even to the Canadians.

The endless obsession with equity has been crazy. Some in my state earlier demanded the vaccinations be halted until equity concerns were addressed. They wanted to fucking workshop the vaccination plans. That was a fucking crazy demand! Luckily no one listened and now everyone is eligible starting Tuesday.

by Anonymousreply 158March 28, 2021 8:49 PM

I had testicular cancer over 15 years ago and teach in a private university although distantly since the pandemic. In NYS all educators and cancer survivors were eligible from the get go. It still took me months to get vaccinated. My second shot was actually on my 65th birthday so I got the first shot about 3 weeks before I turned 65. I don't reveal when I got it as I am afraid people will call me a line jumper. (Cancer in remission for 15 years, not a public school teacher.)

by Anonymousreply 159March 28, 2021 8:57 PM

R154 so what? The goal is to get the population vaccinated. That means everyone including grandma. The elderly have had months to get vaccinated, it’s not like some 16 yo was first to go.

by Anonymousreply 160March 28, 2021 9:01 PM

I feel like anyone who wants the vaccine at this point can get it. Some are choosing not to get it, so whatever. If this was Dec/ Jan I’d feel differently.

by Anonymousreply 161March 28, 2021 9:03 PM

i JUMPED the line, FOR YOUR LOVE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162March 28, 2021 9:04 PM

R154, asthma is indeed a risk factor. It does not matter if it is under control or are otherwise healthy. It is still a risk factor and they really should be given priority.

Or do people need to be visibly struggling with a health condition before you consider it worthy of care?

by Anonymousreply 163March 28, 2021 9:53 PM

Asthma is a big risk factor, that’s one reason I got the vaccine. I’ve had pneumonia six times in my life and I’m sure if I got Covid it would be life threatening.

by Anonymousreply 164March 28, 2021 9:58 PM

In NY, 65+ became eligible January 11. I helped 4 family members and friends get appointments and took two of them to their 1st and 2nd appointments (one this afternoon). The process was ridiculous and I don't know how non-computer savvy people would be able to get an appointment on their own.

by Anonymousreply 165March 28, 2021 10:13 PM

It never hurts to inquire about getting vaccinated. If it's available to you right now, go get it, Don't waste a dose,

by Anonymousreply 166March 28, 2021 10:20 PM

[quote] If you're a doctor's and you've finished your vaccination session on a Friday, and you've had no shows and x amount of shots are left, you don't want to waste any, isn't it right that they have a reserve list of essential workers that they can call to use up any spare shots in the vials?

No one is disputing giving end-of-day doses to whoever is available. The issue is people lying to skip the line and get appointments.

by Anonymousreply 167March 28, 2021 11:57 PM

[quote] I have health conditions that may make me vulnerable but none of the exact conditions listed as eligibility criteria and so I am just on the general waiting list. I will not cut in front of a grandma with diabetes.

If you are vulnerable get the vaccine. The rollout is RIDICULOUS. The rules are impossible to decipher and yes many are 'skipping the line.'. Vaccines are going to healthy people who are not likely to get sick because they are 'essential ' workers.

Anyone who is likely to get sick, and take a bed in the ICU and a ventilator should be vaccinated NOW. Lie, cheat and steal, just get it. Better that than taking up space in an over-capacity ICU preventing other patients with non-preventable illnesses from getting treatment.

by Anonymousreply 168March 29, 2021 12:26 AM

[quote] No [R131] sorry - getting the vaccine in the order that you’re supposed to get it is helping the community. However getting the vaccine thru lying and skipping ahead is not doing it in the way that the relevant healthy authorities want it to be done or are recommending it be done. So you are being selfish, because for it to work properly the authorities are doing it in stages - and you’re not going by their planning. It’s fine I get it you want to be safe - but don’t package your selfishness as responsible community behaviour, b/c it’s not.

The public health authorities miscalculated. They prioritized vaccination of the part of society least able to navigate the ridiculous online portals and secure appointments. Vaccines have gone to waste. The shots should be offered on a first come, first serve basis. Getting vaccinated SLOWS transmission. Hypothetically, a young, healthy person being vaccinated is helping to prevent the spread to older members of a multigenerational household.

If distribution of the vaccine was more organized and orderly then I'd say let's get it to the older and most vulnerable first. However, since we don't have socialized medicine we don't have reliable channels for identifying the most vulnerable or delivering vaccines at a pace necessary to prevent waste.

by Anonymousreply 169March 29, 2021 12:38 AM

It made perfect sense that anyone in a medical position of any kind that deals with the public should have the vaccination immediately. It also made sense that people who are working in pharmacies and food stores had it as well. Clearly the devastation in nursing homes meant that this population was vulnerable and should be given a priority.. and any teacher should’ve been next in line. At that point opening it up to everyone makes sense. As others have said the point is to get as many people vaccinated as possible. That makes it safer for everyone. I do appreciate the angst that some folks are feeling. It’s understandable.

by Anonymousreply 170March 29, 2021 1:11 AM

My dad got her shots because her city's department of health sent a team to vaccinate residents in his apartment building. He lives in a two building apartment complex with 18 floors of low income, low tech immigrant seniors. It's independent living but most of these seniors aren't going to be navigating the online signup system. I think rollout plans should have targeted community centers, libraries, senior community centers, adult day cares, etc to reach out to the 65+ crowd and not force this group of people to go online.

by Anonymousreply 171March 29, 2021 1:33 AM

Ugh, "his"...

by Anonymousreply 172March 29, 2021 1:35 AM

Yes, there are still lots and lots of older people who don't use the internet, even though the internet has been in common usage for more than 20 years now. We forget that many older people just don't use tech at all, even tech that's been around for many years.

by Anonymousreply 173March 29, 2021 1:35 AM

Florida being suprisingly efficient has everything to do with that grifting family taking all the supplies from other states and transferring them to their current home state. I'm sure they did the same thing with the vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 174March 29, 2021 1:38 AM

My employer was identified as "essential manufacturing" when everything shut down. I work in a manufacturing plant making medical devices useful for diagnosing Covid. 200+ people on-site to keep the assembly lines going. I'm in Pennsylvania, we were supposed to be included in Phase 1B. It's now the very end of March and we're still not through Phase 1A, let alone my phase or the two following me. Meanwhile I've got peers in other states (mid-30's, healthy, working from home) who've gotten their second shots. The governor's making noises this weekend that with the goal to just have open sign-up by May 1, we'll probably just abandon the remaining 3 phase plans. Really frustrating, Pennsylvania bungled this horribly. I know how this is going to go too: They'll open the floodgates on May 1 and it'll be August before I get the first jab.

I signed up for waiting lists in the neighboring states where I would be eligible already. Feel like a dick taking an out-of-state spot, but we've had scares in the plant all year and it's not getting better. I figure it's up to them if they want to let an out-of-stater into their queue. I could lie, claim to be a smoker, etc. Trying to be a good person about it, but feel like we're getting screwed for doing so.

by Anonymousreply 175March 29, 2021 1:50 AM

Are they checking medical records if someone claims to have asthma? Asking for... a friend.

by Anonymousreply 176March 29, 2021 1:57 AM

R176, no, it seems. I printed an employment/organization letter and brought it with me to CVS. They didn't even ask me for ID, much less verify my eligibility.

by Anonymousreply 177March 29, 2021 2:10 AM

R174, you keep saying this but it simply is not true.

I live in Florida and until FEMA came in, it was impossible to get the vaccine. Sites with no appointment available (for the next day? the next month? the next year?) Making endless rounds of multiple sites many times a day trying for an appointment. Someone called me to say one was open. I picked on of the last 8 slots and by the time I was done, 45 seconds later the slot had been given away and all the others were taken.

A lot of people have given up trying to get the vaccine or are hoping it will be more widely available next month.

by Anonymousreply 178March 29, 2021 2:53 AM

Florida is a shithole mess, as usual. Is DeSatan posting on DL now with all this Florida cheerleading bullshit?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179March 29, 2021 6:08 AM

Thanks for clarifying that, and no, I don't keep saying that. That was the first time I posted on this thread and the first time I've posted that suspicion anywhere. I was responding to a poster you may have on ignore who boasted about how well FL is doing.

I'm sorry you keep being lied to and that Florida is dropping the ball on this and I believe you. I also believed the poster who crowed about the vaccination rates, but I had my suspicions considering their actions of jailing a scientist who would know the truth. Perhaps you can address them and find out.

by Anonymousreply 180March 29, 2021 1:58 PM

I am sorry, R180, but I thought you were R4 posting again.

I just was not reading you closely enough.

I am as close to being humbled as I allow myself on DL.

by Anonymousreply 181March 29, 2021 2:09 PM

Thank you, R181. I've done the same and know how you feel. Humility is a good trait I wish I had more of. I try not to flame someone when mistakes happen because I value reasonable and sane discourse and you don't get it that way.

by Anonymousreply 182March 29, 2021 2:14 PM

Where are some of you located?

Especially those who are having problems getting vaccinated.

by Anonymousreply 183March 29, 2021 4:04 PM

R131 is correct. This thread is probably Boris up to his usual tricks.

by Anonymousreply 184March 29, 2021 4:22 PM

It has been hard to get vaccinated in my state, Oregon. Are governor is very cautious, and so far only extremely ill people, their caretakers, K-12 teachers, and elderly people 65+ have been permitted to get vaccinations. I'm in the 45-65 age group with a co-morbidity (an artificial heart valve), but I'm not allowed to get one until after the end of the month.

It has been frustrating seeing much younger people without co-morbidities get theirs vaxxes before me in different states, but I knew this was going to happen when the pandemic started. We did not have centralized leadership during the crisis and so the governors had to take over, and they were all going to do it at different rates and in different ways.

I think there are a few things going on: one is being patient, simply because the sheer number of 3330 million people needing to be vaccainated was going to take months, and of course who got it went would be uneven. The other thing is that sometimes people with hidden conditions got theirs before everyone else did. I know a guy in his early 30s who got his a month ago, but he has Diabetes Type 1, and people with that are MUCH more likely to die from COVID than most other people--but you wouldn't know it to look at him he isn't strong and healthy. But he stupidly advertised when he got the shot on Instagram.

I do think people who have boasted about getting the vaccine earlier on Instagram or Twitter or FB were idiots. Of course they are causing resentment.

by Anonymousreply 185March 29, 2021 4:25 PM

CA is doing self-attestation for pre-existing conditions, there is no proof required. What would they do with it anyway? We are going to 50 and above April 1, and 16 and above on April 15.

I think the more people that get the shot, the better. If someone wants it so bad to line jump or show up when unused doses are available, I don't see the harm in it. I think everyone should be eligible now, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 186March 29, 2021 4:27 PM

I would rather be friends with line jumpers than anti vaxers.

by Anonymousreply 187March 29, 2021 5:41 PM

In Florida they are now widening those who can get it. Every week the group drops.

If you go to a retailer or hospital you have to meet the guidelines, but if you went to a walk-in FEMA site anyone could get it.

However the wait at FEMA sites have ranged from 3 hours to no wait at all. You would not know till you got there.

by Anonymousreply 188March 29, 2021 6:05 PM

In CT things are going very smoothly but we only have 3.5 million people, and the population is very spread out so places aren't crowded either.

by Anonymousreply 189March 29, 2021 6:09 PM

I know a woman who did this, she said she has asthma and she does not have it at all.

by Anonymousreply 190March 29, 2021 9:15 PM

R190 are you going to report her? If it were December of last year I hear you but some States are now open to anyone. I think everyone should be entitled to get in line now. Don’t waste one shot!

by Anonymousreply 191March 29, 2021 9:44 PM

It's not a line, and that is an important detail in this metaphor. This isn't cutting the line, it's leaving the burning building because you saw a door and others aren't using it. Go!

by Anonymousreply 192March 29, 2021 9:47 PM

Oh for gods sake now we're shaming people with legitimate issues like asthma. Fucking hell, sometimes this place is just too, too much. Bunch of hateful CUNTS.

by Anonymousreply 193March 29, 2021 10:44 PM

Why jump line?

Just get a fake vaccine card.

Templates are already available, so print it out and fake your status. My friend is a pharmacist so I’m getting legit cards.

37% of health care workers are avoiding the jab, so why shouldn’t I?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194March 29, 2021 10:49 PM

A Canadian snowbird neighbor got both his vaccinations while staying in the States for the winter. He's very happy about that, but says it won't make any difference in his lifestyle when he returns to Alberta in 3 weeks, since they're still under semi-lockdown and he will have to have 3 COVID tests as a condition of his re-entry to Canada.

by Anonymousreply 195April 6, 2021 6:55 PM

You know what's missing from this bit of moralistic scolding from WaPo? Any mention of all the anti-mask, anti-vaxx COVID truthers who live among us.

I "jumped the line" and got my first shot last week. I never planned on line jumping, nor did I ever actively seek out an opportunity to do so, but when my brother sent me a link to the county health department site and said they were booking appointments for anyone who signed up, I acted on instinct and grabbed the first appointment I could. I've spent the past two months helping some of my elderly relatives get their shots, and in some cases, it's been a fucking nightmare. (It took four weeks of checking with every local vaccine distributor every single day to get my mom a shot, and she's a 70 year old cancer survivor.)

Knowing from personal experience that eligibility doesn't guarantee an appointment, I wondered if nobly waiting until I was a thousand percent certain it was "my turn" was actually more self-absorbed than seizing a chance to immunize myself asap.

I also live in an area that's chock full of white deplorables. As I've dutifully followed every single CDC guideline and kept myself on self-imposed house arrest for a year, a huge number of my neighbors have absolutely refused to make even the smallest sacrifices. They put a mask on so they'll be allowed to enter stores, then pull it down with that "fuck you" gleam in their eyes as soon as they're past the front entrance. They've never stopped going to indoor restaurants (seriously, I can't go anywhere in my town without driving past a PACKED restaurant full of maskless assholes). Outside of retail stores, they can't even tolerate it if someone else is wearing a mask while they're not. (I'm an independent contractor, and I've been in many work situations in the past year where some unmasked client has absolutely insisted that I have to take my mask off so we'll "both be comfortable.")

Meanwhile, every fully vaccinated boomer in the area has decided that they're done with masks now (because fuck everyone else, right?), and it's encouraging all the local qanon freaks to become even more brazen in their own non-compliance with mask rules. Those of us who have trusted the science and done everything right all year feel like we're in a race against time to make sure we're immunized before everyone stops bothering with masks altogether, including the large population of anti-vaxx morons.

I didn't jump at the first vaccine appointment I could get because I couldn't wait another minute to go out partying. I did it because I was afraid I'd still be "waiting my turn" by the time I was the only person wearing a mask at the grocery store, and I'd be stuck in the checkout line with some fucking qcumber who's coughing up the latest variant all over me.

Fuck WaPo for insinuating that every "line jumper" is some vapid, amoral twit who's been scheming to take your grandma's shot away. This is an incredibly complex social issue in more ways than one, and this article's interpretation of it is childish.

by Anonymousreply 196April 7, 2021 5:10 PM

R196 why do you live in such an awful place?

by Anonymousreply 197April 7, 2021 5:38 PM

R197, where do you live?

by Anonymousreply 198April 7, 2021 6:30 PM

In other regions of the country, the anti-masker anti-vaxxers are crunchy granola ultra-liberal types. Think Los Feliz Day Care types.

by Anonymousreply 199April 7, 2021 8:02 PM

I tried to be noble and failed. I get my second shot this Saturday after having a complete meltdown about it to the folks in the village senior center. A neighbor who jumped the eligibility waiting list motivated me to stop waiting after gloating about it.

I understand why she did it, but I still despise her.

by Anonymousreply 200April 29, 2021 10:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!