Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Stop un-gendering animals!

“She, He, or They” Not “It”: Leaders in Animal Advocacy and Conservation Come Together to Call for an Update on the Use of Personal Pronouns for Nonhuman Animals

-

In Defense of Animals and Animals & Media have partnered to call for an update to the Associated Press Stylebook’s recommendation on the use of personal pronouns for nonhuman animals. They are joined by more than 80 respected leaders and scholars in animal advocacy and conservation across the globe who support this change, including renowned primatologist Dr. Jane Goodall, biologists Dr. Marc Bekoff and Dr. Jonathan Balcombe, and leaders of organizations such as Center for Biological Diversity, Animal Legal Defense Fund, Mercy For Animals, Encompass, Animals & Society Institute, Animal Outlook, Nonhuman Rights Project, Center for Animal Law Studies at Lewis & Clark Law School, and media organizations, such as Sentient Media, We Animals Media, the Journal of Critical Animal Studies and Animal Sentience journal.

The scientific consensus is that nonhuman animals are conscious beings — someone not something — and the language we use should reflect that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 3, 2021 7:27 PM

Is this a joke? People really want to worry about how we identify animals?

by Anonymousreply 1March 25, 2021 6:20 PM

Women already do this. Every living creature is a he.

by Anonymousreply 2March 25, 2021 6:22 PM

IT'S LITERAL RAPE!!

by Anonymousreply 3March 25, 2021 6:23 PM

So are we supposed to inspect their genitals before we talk about them? Or ask them their preferred pronouns?

by Anonymousreply 4March 25, 2021 6:29 PM

R2, what?!?

What about the transimals? How will they tell us their pronouns?

by Anonymousreply 5March 25, 2021 6:35 PM

*In Defense of Animals and Animals & Media have partnered to call for Trump 2024.

by Anonymousreply 6March 25, 2021 8:14 PM

What about the trans animals of colour?

by Anonymousreply 7March 25, 2021 8:20 PM

I’m going to cancel myself, since I forgot to include trans animals of colour who are also sex workers.

by Anonymousreply 8March 25, 2021 8:24 PM

I surveyed my 15 year old dog for her opinion on this matter. She licked her butt and grunted. That means she wants a treat and for me to leave her alone.

It also meant that humans are idiots and easy marks.

by Anonymousreply 9March 25, 2021 8:24 PM

Someday, say in 2500, when the Gibbon of his generation writes his own "Decline and Fall," there will be a chapter or two dedicated to the absurdity and decadence and excess of this moment.

by Anonymousreply 10March 25, 2021 8:25 PM

Oh, please. People with pets go out of their way to make sure you know the gender. It’s why I call everyone’s animal “Baby”.

I’ve been corrected for that as well, “She’s a full grown 27 month-old!” That’s a fucking baby and she’ll be dead within 14 years so fuck you.

You knew they’d apply this to wild animals. It implies they took the time to look for balls and are truly interested.

by Anonymousreply 11March 25, 2021 8:29 PM

It sounds ridiculous but it makes sense. Perhaps if we call animals by she or he we won't be so horrible to them.

I mean, we treat animals almost as badly as the way Datlaoungers treat other Dataloungers.

by Anonymousreply 12March 25, 2021 8:32 PM

I’ve never told an animal to lose weight, R12. Speaking of which....

by Anonymousreply 13March 25, 2021 8:35 PM

Wait til they get a load of me...

by Anonymousreply 14March 25, 2021 8:38 PM

I call my cat “Kween” because that little diva calls the shots in our home. My husband and I exist just to shovel her poop and give her cuddles when she wants them.

by Anonymousreply 15March 25, 2021 8:40 PM

Still not as bad as those stupid YouTube videos where uploaders try to give human emotions to animals:

"Mother Dog Cries With Joy After Being Reunited With Her Puppies!"

by Anonymousreply 16March 25, 2021 8:41 PM

R16, wait for the cats who use twitter. I can no longer pay attention to any writing - just focus on the photo/video.

by Anonymousreply 17March 25, 2021 8:54 PM

Well, would you eat a male hot dog or a not-male wiener?

by Anonymousreply 18March 25, 2021 9:56 PM

Animals Deserve Gender Pronouns, Too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 3, 2021 3:23 PM

Sometimes I forget and call my own cat “he” in my head.

by Anonymousreply 20April 3, 2021 3:32 PM

Don’t animals deserve their own pronouns instead of borrowed human ones?

by Anonymousreply 21April 3, 2021 3:34 PM

[quote] Women already do this. Every living creature is a he.

Women are the worst. Why do we even have them?

by Anonymousreply 22April 3, 2021 3:36 PM

After skimming the NPR article, I realize I agree. It seems the argument is that we should use "he" and "she" rather than "it" to refer to animals, since animals are living things.

by Anonymousreply 23April 3, 2021 3:37 PM

Things?

by Anonymousreply 24April 3, 2021 3:47 PM

I thought that assuming gender was hate speech!

Seriously, though, some animals are not sexually dimorphic, and we can't tell male from female without endoscopes or DNA analysis. Our grammar is lacking there, we don't have a respectful term for a living being whose sex we can't determine, "it" may be gender-neutral but it also refers to inanimate objects.

by Anonymousreply 25April 3, 2021 6:56 PM

The point of this (and it's not a new thing, having nothing to do with humans' current gender obsession) is to stop people from referring to animals as "it" in the hope that, as R12 says, they will think of animals as beings with their own lives and concerns, not unfeeling objects.

By the way, male seahorses aren't "pregnant" in the mammalian sense. They carry the eggs in an internal pouch, not a uterus, and fertilize the eggs deposited by the female. It's more like holding onto them while they develop and then expelling them. Do we say a female fish is "pregnant"? No, we don't.

by Anonymousreply 26April 3, 2021 7:04 PM

Great. Next there will be a movement to maintain dog and cat fertility because of their right to procreate to maintain their species' cultures.

If I had a nickel....

by Anonymousreply 27April 3, 2021 7:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!