Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rare Movies

I’ve been looking for Looking for Mr. Goodbar, with Diane Keaton and Richard Gere, it is extremely rare. It’s never been on streaming or DVD, only VHS and Laserdisc. It was pretty controversial at the time. The only way to watch it is by buying a VHS on eBay for $50. It was a hit, commercially and critically. Why is it not on streaming? What are some other long lost classics?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187July 8, 2021 8:36 AM

The Turning Point. Rarely on cable. Not on Amazon and iTunes. DVD discontinued. And no blu ray. Beautiful movie that deserves a Criterion release.

by Anonymousreply 1March 22, 2021 2:44 AM

Goodbar

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 22, 2021 2:46 AM

Two by Ken Russell- The Devils and The Music Lovers.

by Anonymousreply 3March 22, 2021 2:53 AM

The soundtrack was really great.

by Anonymousreply 4March 22, 2021 2:56 AM

R1 The Turning Point is a dreadful, tedious, forgettable soaper. An update of a 1940s women's picture that has the 2 female leads in a climactic drag down fight ala Dynasty. Why it received 9 Oscar nominations is a mystery. It was very popular at the time of its release.

by Anonymousreply 5March 22, 2021 2:59 AM

"The Turning Point" was popular for the same reason those 1940s women's pictures you compared it to were popular, R5. Not great art by any means, but over-the-top campy fun, fueled by the star power of Shirley MacLaine and Anne Bancroft.

by Anonymousreply 6March 22, 2021 3:06 AM

Something for Everyone with Angela Lansbury and Michael York

by Anonymousreply 7March 22, 2021 3:07 AM

I've wanted to see this for a long time but I don't have Netflix or anything. The Library has it but only on Blu-Ray.

Maybe it's time to upgrade...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 22, 2021 3:11 AM

Looking for Mr. Goodbar was never released on DVD apparently because of the rights to the film's soundtrack. There was a good copy of the film on Youtube a while back. It hasn't held up and the characters are always in a hurry. talking at top speed and in and out of the frame thanks to flashy, disorienting film editing and Tuesday Weld's performance is campy.

Straight Time, The Conversation, From Noon Till Three, Slaughterhouse-Five , Payday, Smile and Wanda are some of the best films of the 70s and much better than the mediocre films that won Best Picture during that decade: Patton, The Sting, Annie Hall, Kramer vs Kramer.

by Anonymousreply 9March 22, 2021 3:16 AM

Looking for Mr. Goodbar is worth it to watch Richard Gere’s bubble butt running around and doing push-ups in a jockstrap.

by Anonymousreply 10March 22, 2021 3:16 AM

[quote]Something for Everyone with Angela Lansbury and Michael York

Available on Blu-ray and DVD from Amazon. I bought it recently.

by Anonymousreply 11March 22, 2021 3:22 AM

I can’t find FOUL PLAY streaming anywhere. I’d really like to see it!

by Anonymousreply 12March 22, 2021 3:22 AM

R11 Did you watch Something for Everyone and was it good? Saw it years ago when it frequently played at revival house on a double bill with The Boys in the Band (1970).

by Anonymousreply 13March 22, 2021 3:26 AM

My mother compared her early 20s to this movie. Now mind you she exaggerates things....

by Anonymousreply 14March 22, 2021 3:28 AM

Diane was at her peak of attractiveness in LFMG. Too bad she didn't have a better film, but her charisma saves it. And with age, it's one of those films which is interesting as a time capsule of the moment (1977).

by Anonymousreply 15March 22, 2021 3:31 AM

There's a VHS-quality copy of this on Youtube, but I'd love to see it on Bluray someday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 22, 2021 3:33 AM

Will Letty Lynton (1932) ever see a proper release?

by Anonymousreply 17March 22, 2021 3:37 AM

R7 You can find "Something For Everyone" on Amazon for less than $15.00.

by Anonymousreply 18March 22, 2021 3:39 AM

There are a few DVD "Goodbar" listings on eBay which are listed as Region 0, or "region free."

by Anonymousreply 19March 22, 2021 3:40 AM

[quote]R11 Did you watch Something for Everyone and was it good? Saw it years ago when it frequently played at revival house on a double bill with The Boys in the Band (1970).

Funny you should say that, R13. I also first saw it years ago at a revival house on a double bill with "The Boys in the Band." I remember finding it pretty entertaining, which is why I bought the DVD recently. I haven't gotten around to re-watching it yet. I have a bad habit of buying Blu-rays and leaving them in their shrink wrap for quite a while.

by Anonymousreply 20March 22, 2021 3:57 AM

If you're not uncomfortable with downloading films, you can find Looking for Mr. Goodbar at this link. I've found tons of difficult to find films on this site.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 22, 2021 4:00 AM

‘Goodbar’ was on TCM in the early morning hours a couple of years back. I can’t remember an exact date, but I’m guessing it was around 2017. I couldn’t believe it was actually on television.

by Anonymousreply 22March 22, 2021 4:03 AM

"Fatso" directed by Anne Bancroft with Dom Deluise wasn't on VHS or DVD for decades, then it was, but only briefly.

I have a used VHS tape of it I bought years ago for $80!

by Anonymousreply 23March 22, 2021 4:05 AM

TCM is showing rated R movies now sometimes. At least we have Goodbar on YouTube, not the best pic quality, but still a great film.

by Anonymousreply 24March 22, 2021 4:10 AM

TCM shows lots of R rated stuff nowadays. Midnight Express airs sometimes and that is a brutal film.

by Anonymousreply 25March 22, 2021 4:13 AM

R22 In the 80s Looking for Mr. Goodbar was on shown on network television I believe it was ABC on a Sunday night in the 9pm timeslot. Though heavily edited it still showed the scene of 2 men kissing in the gaybar. The most passionate kiss between 2 men I had ever seen on network TV. I was shocked!

by Anonymousreply 26March 22, 2021 4:26 AM

TR20 I remember liking it also. Thanks

by Anonymousreply 27March 22, 2021 4:27 AM

I think I read that the ending was tamer though for the TV version. (less violent)

Not sure though.

by Anonymousreply 28March 22, 2021 4:28 AM

I always thought it was odd that in The Turning Point Shirley MacLaine the dancer played the ex-dancer and Anne Bancroft the non-dancer played the dancer.

by Anonymousreply 29March 22, 2021 4:30 AM

r23 Fatso was released on Blu-ray not too long ago. It's also part of the Anne Bancroft Collection from Shout Factory that came out some time ago. Great collection by the way.

r22 is correct. Goodbar was on TCM a few years ago and there was actually live thread about it. It was a lot of fun, and totally DL.

Goodbar was also on iTunes a few years ago with an HD master. I rented it and it looked good. So, there is at least a master out there that is ready to be put on Blu-ray.

Fingers crossed it may get released this year. Paramount has stepped up its game in releasing films on Blu-Ray. For a long time, they didn't take advantage of the Blu-Ray market. Shout has a license with them to release some of their films, and the Paramount Presents line is releasing some of their titles as well. Personally, I would love it if Criterion would issue Goodbar on Blu-Ray since this film definitely needs a multitude of extras. It would be great to finally get Keaton, Berenger, Gere, maybe even Burton and Atherton to speak about it.

by Anonymousreply 30March 22, 2021 4:32 AM

Worst part of The Turning Point was the attempt to make us believe that Bancroft was a young prima ballerina.

by Anonymousreply 31March 22, 2021 4:32 AM

William Atherton is a famous "ex-gay."

I remember seeing him on the David Suskind show talking about how he'd slept with tons of men but is now married and has "a life." Really screwed me up as a young pre-teen.

Flash forward years later I was working in a book store. He came in and spent time looking at the male beefcake calendars. (A woman, his wife I guess, was with him. Didn't seem worried that she'd catch him or that anyone would see him.)

by Anonymousreply 32March 22, 2021 4:36 AM

I found The Turning Point on DVD some years back in a thrift shop and instantly grabbed it. It's strange that both Goodbar and The Turning Point, both released in 1977, were such a big deal at the time, but are now so rare. The Turning Point got a whole bunch of Oscar nominations, too.

I remember Goodbar was shown here in Toronto on Friday nights on City-TV late at night. I remember as a teenager I would start watching the first half but it was on so late, I never got to the end. Thank God. It would have traumatized me, especially having to watch that ending alone in the middle of the night.

by Anonymousreply 33March 22, 2021 4:37 AM

William Atherton was perfect in Goodbar because he does come off as creepy.

by Anonymousreply 34March 22, 2021 4:38 AM

I remember watching Trading Hearts as a kid. It was a sweet little movie, with Raul Julia, Beverly D'Angelo and Jenny Lewis. It doesn't appear to have had an official DVD release.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35March 22, 2021 4:40 AM

[quote]Worst part of The Turning Point was the attempt to make us believe that Bancroft was a young prima ballerina.

Wasn't the whole point that her character was well past her prime and needed to move on but was reluctant to do so?

by Anonymousreply 36March 22, 2021 4:43 AM

About 15 years ago, I caught "Goodbar" on TIVO and have been able to digitize it. I last watched it about 2 years ago. I love Madonna's "Bad Girl" video because of its "Goodbar" allusions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37March 22, 2021 4:44 AM

Forbidden Choices based on the book The Beans of Egypt Maine. That shit is bizarre and funny and I’ve only been able to find it on vhs

by Anonymousreply 38March 22, 2021 4:49 AM

If you guys can figure out how to use Radarr/Sonarr with NZB indexer sites over newsgroups, you'll find all this stuff. Just found 20 versions of Goodbar.

by Anonymousreply 39March 22, 2021 4:54 AM

R28 Yes, it was much shorter and less gory. It went from Tom Berenger strangling her and picking up the knife from the floor and then the fade out with her face receding under the strobe light.

by Anonymousreply 40March 22, 2021 4:54 AM

The way Berenger says "I'm ready now" is really chilling.

by Anonymousreply 41March 22, 2021 4:57 AM

4 devils. If any of you guys have a copy lying around, please get in contact!

by Anonymousreply 42March 22, 2021 4:59 AM

R1, I recently bought a like-new DVD of The Turning Point on Ebay.

Which reminds me of a recent thread on how painfully outdated it supposedly is to still use a DVD player.

by Anonymousreply 43March 22, 2021 5:53 AM

I remember seeing the ending of Goodbar on a Buffalo affiliate in the early '90s. It was still pretty chilling in edited/truncated form.

When you watch it in its entirety, it's very disturbing, especially the sound effects and sound editing. Keaton's wheezing and dying breaths are so chilling as well as her shouting "Do it! Do it!" I have had to watch it a few times to capture everything that is said and all the sounds.

by Anonymousreply 44March 22, 2021 5:53 AM

Well yes, you should upgrade to blu ray. r43. They play DVDs, too. But your television is at least 1080p and most streaming content is at least that now, too (though Amazon Prime unfortunately still has a lot of lesser quality streams), so your default physical media player shouldn’t be one that maxes out at 480p.

[quote] Goodbar was also on iTunes a few years ago with an HD master. I rented it and it looked good. So, there is at least a master out there that is ready to be put on Blu-ray.

That’s extraordinary. I didn’t know about that. Have they since pulled it? That reminds me of the situation with ‘Little Darlings’. It’s available on Amazon (and probably iTunes) in HD for rental or purchase, and it is a fantastic HD transfer, but it remains unreleased on disc because of music rights. All of the original songs are on the HD stream/DL however—it’s all intact.

by Anonymousreply 45March 22, 2021 5:58 AM

Little Darlings reminds me that a few years ago I tried to find the Bad News Bears, with no success. Tatum O'Neil demanding a pair of French jeans in order to play for the team impressed my young self.

I don't think it (or The Turning Point, the DVD of which I bought because of Baryshnikov) is great cinema. I like going back to movies I saw as a kid or was too young to see then. It's nostalgia. And movies from the 70s feel different--slower, more grown-up.

by Anonymousreply 46March 22, 2021 6:07 AM

I just found three copies online - Youtube has it, Amazon Prime has it, and putlockers , it's stealing but they have it there on a few of them. Buy a VHS tape on Ebay? WTF is that about? The youtube version is decent quality. Are you like 100 years old? VHS? Has to be trolling.

by Anonymousreply 47March 22, 2021 6:17 AM

r39 NO. You have to buy VHS (and a VHS player) off Ebay. It's the only way for it be dramatically impossible to watch this mediocre movie because it's 1997.

by Anonymousreply 48March 22, 2021 6:19 AM

Goodbar got an Oscar nomination for Cinematography. Those guild members were paying attention to that chilling end. (Tuesday Weld was nominated too and Keaton's win for Annie Hall was probably helped by the contrast of being in Goodbar at the same time. Too bad it didn't come out the next year. She probably would have been nominated again.

by Anonymousreply 49March 22, 2021 6:21 AM

R11,R20 Did you see the double bill at the Cinema Village on E 12th Street in NYC? I used to manage that theater.

by Anonymousreply 50March 22, 2021 6:27 AM

Speaking of Looking For Mr. Goodbar, is the last guy at the end of the movie doing anal with her?

by Anonymousreply 51March 22, 2021 6:29 AM

Something For Everyone

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52March 22, 2021 6:31 AM

I found Body of Evidencie on Stremio.

It looks like some trashy fun.

by Anonymousreply 53March 22, 2021 6:37 AM

Not HD but I might watch this tomorrow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54March 22, 2021 6:39 AM

R50 I believe I saw that double bill at the Cinema Village which I frequented. I also recall seeing Lolita and Lord Love a Duck on a double bill as well as The Queen and Pumping Iron and Shock Corridor paired with The Naked Kiss.

by Anonymousreply 55March 22, 2021 6:41 AM

[quote] Little Darlings reminds me that a few years ago I tried to find the Bad News Bears, with no success.

This one is included (streaming) with Amazon Prime membership, as of a month ago, and a Blu ray is forthcoming from Paramount.

by Anonymousreply 56March 22, 2021 6:45 AM

A few years back I really wanted to see the camp classic Moment to Moment again (it was on HBO a lot when I was a kid). I couldn’t find it anywhere so I ended ended up buying a DVD copy from Amazon Deutschland. It was still in print in Germany. It’s just as awful as it’s reputation and a lot of fun to watch.

by Anonymousreply 57March 22, 2021 7:08 AM

R6 The Turning Point isn't really over the top campy The characters are boringly middle class healthy Americans except for Bancroft who looks covered in a layer of ash. The conflict revolves around the career vs family issue and Maclaine is basically Donna Reed or Doris Day and there's an embarrassingly bad scene where Maclaine's husband (Tom Skerritt) explains why he gave up ballet and Leslie Brown is charmless as their wonky-eyed daughter. Did she ever do another movie?

Tuesday Weld on the other hand delivers campy dialog in Goodbar a ridiculous on so many levels movie including the unnecessary number of scenes with Terry and her deaf students and the subplot of little Amy whose mother is a raging cliche who carries the largest laundry basket ever seen and ditto Richard Kiley as Terry's Irish cop father and the ridiculous scene of Terry accidentally scoring coke and some of the exterior scenes were filmed on obvious sets . . . It's a gaudy, elaborate mess and the same could be said for Richard Brooks' terrible film version of Sweet Bird of Youth (1962) and his unheralded camp classic The Happy Ending (1969) in which Nanette Fabray exclaims "If sex were the only thing that really mattered, than the WHOLE world would be run by rabbits!"

by Anonymousreply 58March 22, 2021 7:13 AM

Hi r45

[quote]That’s extraordinary. I didn’t know about that. Have they since pulled it?

Yes, they pulled it. This was quite a few years ago. And it was only available to rent, not buy.

I believe the copy they showed on TCM was also in HD.

by Anonymousreply 59March 22, 2021 7:20 AM

I really want to rewatch The Lonely Lady, starring Pia Zadora, & Ray Liotta in his first role (spoiler alert, he rapes her with a garden hose). The movie is camp trash but I first saw it as an overly earnest 15yo & took it ultra seriously. I’d like to see if I appreciate it on another level now. Plus Pia is beautiful & I love her music (though they somehow worked her Clapping Song cover into this in no way that fits)

by Anonymousreply 60March 22, 2021 7:22 AM

[quote]Did she ever do another movie?

"Nijinsky" with Nureyev in 1980.

Dancer friends used to imitate her in the movie- "I don't count, I feeeeeel!"

by Anonymousreply 61March 22, 2021 7:25 AM

At the Thalia, R50.

by Anonymousreply 62March 22, 2021 7:29 AM

R23 FATSO was a great movie! Very underrated. I saw it in the theater with my mom when it first came out. I actually caught it on cable several years ago. It may have been TCM, I don't remember.

by Anonymousreply 63March 22, 2021 7:31 AM

There are a couple of over-the-air channels (that are also on some cable systems) that occasionally show Goodbar and Turning Point. The "MOVIES!" channel and the "THIS" channel, (the latter owned by MGM). They are both good sources for rarely-seen films, and in many places you can get them with an antenna if your cable doesn't carry them.

by Anonymousreply 64March 22, 2021 7:36 AM

The Lonely Lady was released on Blu-ray by Shout a few years ago.

Get it before it goes out of print!!

by Anonymousreply 65March 22, 2021 7:37 AM

[quote] Did you see the double bill at the Cinema Village on E 12th Street in NYC? I used to manage that theater.

When did you manage the Cinema Village? I (for a very short time) managed the Thalia Soho, owned by the same guy who owned Cinema Village. What a creep!

by Anonymousreply 66March 22, 2021 7:39 AM

R60 R65 Ugh...Pia. I actually saw her in concert in Las Vegas when I was 9. My mom's best friend's boyfriend was managing Pia, and she found her boyfriend and Pia in bed together. That was the end of that relationship.

by Anonymousreply 67March 22, 2021 7:40 AM

Damn, r67 sorry for your mom's friend.

Pia sounds like she really took The Lonely Lady to heart.

by Anonymousreply 68March 22, 2021 7:42 AM

That’s because r29 Anne Bancroft looked anorexic and MacLaine didn’t.

Foul Play the full movie was on YouTube less than a year ago (I love that movie), I guess copyright finally got to it.

by Anonymousreply 69March 22, 2021 7:42 AM

R12, The first time I saw Foul Play, the scene where Goldie Hawn attacks the little Bible Salesman made me laugh so hard that could not breathe.

by Anonymousreply 70March 22, 2021 7:44 AM

Still no Ruthless People in HD, or The Year of Living Dangerously. Just the mushy, ancient DVD's.

by Anonymousreply 71March 22, 2021 7:47 AM

R8, Amazon's Prime Video app has "Kumiko" for rent or purchase. And from what I understand, you don't need to be a monthly subscriber to buy or rent movies on that app - you do have to have an Amazon account tho and probably download the app on your watching device.

And for those who don't know, "Kumiko: The Treasure Hunter" is a pretty great movie. Basically, it's about a Japanese "office lady" who flees her humdrum life in Tokyo to try to find the (fictional, but she doesn't understand that) money buried by the side of the road in the movie Fargo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72March 22, 2021 7:52 AM

R68 Yeah, she was devastated. She talked about how she'd be in the supermarket and see Pia's pic on the cover of a tabloid and it was like knives in her stomach. That was over 40 years ago, though. She got over it.

I remember there was talk at the time that Pia's billionaire hubby bought all of her good reviews. Who knows.

When I was a kid, I thought her name was Pea Isadora, LOL! I didn't realize her name was Pia until I saw the concert and at a climactic moment, a giant lightbulb-encrusted letters lowered behind her that read "PIA".

by Anonymousreply 73March 22, 2021 7:52 AM

Have had to buy bootleg DVDs of the film versions of a number of Broadway plays: "Death of a Salesman" (what Amazon sells is a bootleg); "Porgy and Bess" (ditto);"A View from the Bridge";"The Dark at the Top of the Stairs"; "Fortune and Men's Eyes"; "The Shrike"; "The Deep Blue Sea" (Vivien Leigh); "The Fourposter"; and "Mack the Knife" (Raul Julia). Was able to purchase "Oh Dad, Poor Dad...." (Rosalind Russell) directly from Amazon Prime.

by Anonymousreply 74March 22, 2021 7:54 AM

R12 R69 R70 Foul Play is one of my all-time favorite comedies. That and the other great Hawn-Chase film "Seems Like Old Times". Charles Grodin is hilarious in that one. Both films used to air on TCM fairly regularly, and I recorded both to DVD-R.

Does TCM not show them anymore? My cable package dropped TCM and I haven't watched it in ages.

by Anonymousreply 75March 22, 2021 7:56 AM

Has "Sleuth" (Lawrence Olivier, Michael Caine) ever been released to Blu-ray? I had a crappy VHS of it once, and I heard that all the DVD releases were shitty. I finally recorded it off TCM when they aired it many years ago. One of my favorite films.

by Anonymousreply 76March 22, 2021 7:59 AM

Can’t find “The Crowening” anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 77March 22, 2021 8:06 AM

R75 TCM had a Goldie hawn day (which was SO GOOD) last year and showed both (plus Protocol) and I still catch them every now and then...not nearly as much as I used to but they turn up every now and then.

I think those two movies, plus 9 to 5, were the first “real” movies I literally grew up watching on HBO/Cinemax approximately a zillion times each - they were on seemingly everyday throughout the 80s.

Still love them all.

by Anonymousreply 78March 22, 2021 8:06 AM

R78 My mom had the same brown/white Anne Klein sheets that are on Chevy's bed in Foul Play. Love those sheets, lol.

by Anonymousreply 79March 22, 2021 8:09 AM

Also looking for LRMG.

Well, there's too many on my list that I still can't find:

Buck Rodgers in the 25th Century (1979). The full theatrical release with the Glen Larson opening song and beginning titled.

Foul Play - I found a VHS copy

Oh, Heavenly Dog (1980) with the Paul McCartney "Arrow Through Me" in the opening titles. Full Movie.

Straight Talk - I have on Laser disc only.

Found: Greek Tycoon on remastered DVD. Oh, God. and Oh, God Book 2 on DVD only

The Fan (1982) Michael Biehn. Now available on Amazon Blu-ray.

by Anonymousreply 80March 22, 2021 8:22 AM

R78 Max Dugan Returns with Marsha Mason, Jason Robards & Matthew Broderick was another one I used to see constantly on TV that has disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 81March 22, 2021 8:43 AM

[quote]Did you watch Something for Everyone and was it good? Saw it years ago when it frequently played at revival house on a double bill with The Boys in the Band (1970).

Actually after "Something For Everyone" opened exclusively in NYC, it opened wider through out the NY area as a double feature with BITB.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82March 22, 2021 9:15 AM

I’ve always wanted to see Laura with Lee Radziwill in it. Apparently they showed it at the Paley Center years ago, but I’ve never been able to find a trace of it.

by Anonymousreply 83March 22, 2021 9:36 AM

r21 I've spent the last half hour browsing your site when I should have been in bed. Not looking for anything in particularly but just skimming. Some oldies sci fi-horror stuff I haven't seen since I was in grade school. Thursdays and Fridays after school our local cartoon host would run one half of a film each day. Nothing too scary of course. Probably all public domain by now.

Be interesting to see what a more thorough search finds.

by Anonymousreply 84March 22, 2021 10:24 AM

"The Blue Veil"(1951)

Never released on VHS or DVD.

Best Actress

1952 · Jane Wyman

Nominee

Best Supporting Actress

1952 · Joan Blondell

Nominee

by Anonymousreply 85March 22, 2021 10:45 AM

R36, Lauren Bacall actively sought the Bancroft role and was upset when she was not hired.

by Anonymousreply 86March 22, 2021 10:50 AM

Richard Gere + Jockstrap + 27 years old = Mr. Good Bar

by Anonymousreply 87March 22, 2021 10:52 AM

Goodbar was streaming on Netflix in 2010; must be a rights issue.

by Anonymousreply 88March 22, 2021 11:05 AM

I also see it on Amazon Prime but not available in US. I would play around with different countries on the steaming services to see if it’s available in another location.

by Anonymousreply 89March 22, 2021 11:08 AM

During this pandemic year I wanted to rewatch All that Jazz and An Unmarried Woman, but neither are available for streaming. I got rid of my DVD player years ago, which I guess was a mistake.

by Anonymousreply 90March 22, 2021 11:33 AM

I’ve always wanted to see Myra Breckinridge.

by Anonymousreply 91March 22, 2021 11:34 AM

All That Jazz and An Unmarried Woman have been issued on Blu-ray by Criterion. Maybe streaming is exclusive to them?

by Anonymousreply 92March 22, 2021 11:47 AM

You can watch the full movie, Looking For Mr. Goodbar, on youtube. For now it's free. Sometimes I'll check youtube for hard to find movies. You may not find it, or pay to see full movie...sometimes it's downloaded by someone and can see it for free. Lifeguard, a 1976 film with Sam Elliott, is another one I watched on youtube. That's a hard one to find anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 93March 22, 2021 12:05 PM

Samuel Goldwyn's film version of Porgy and Bess with Sammy Davis Jr. I saw it on TV as a child and haven't seen hide nor hair of it since.

by Anonymousreply 94March 22, 2021 12:15 PM

There was a movie back in 1990 called True Love with Anabella Sciorra and Ron Eldard. Cannot find it ANYWHERE to stream online. If I have to, I'll end up paying $30.00 for the DVD, but I'm still hoping it eventually pops up on one of my subscriptions.

by Anonymousreply 95March 22, 2021 12:23 PM

Independence Day (1983). Dianne Wiest gives a great supporting performance

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96March 22, 2021 12:27 PM

Diary of a Mad Housewife. I found it on YouTube a few years ago. Not a great copy but watchable. Brilliant Carrie Snodgrass, gorgeous Frank Langella and Richard Benjamin giving the performance of his career.

by Anonymousreply 97March 22, 2021 12:49 PM

Audrey Hepburn was the original choice for the Bancroft role in Turning Point. Children’s Hour reunion!

by Anonymousreply 98March 22, 2021 12:51 PM

True Love available at Rare Lust.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99March 22, 2021 12:56 PM

R97 That was released on DVD and Blu Ray not too long ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100March 22, 2021 1:11 PM

Paperhouse

by Anonymousreply 101March 22, 2021 1:22 PM

R38 Always wanted to see that movie. Found a bootleg DVD on line a few years back. Ok movie but it had Patrick McGaw's fine ass

by Anonymousreply 102March 22, 2021 1:33 PM

R91, TCM occasionally airs it.

by Anonymousreply 103March 22, 2021 1:51 PM

R88, It's the music/soundtrack rights.

by Anonymousreply 104March 22, 2021 1:52 PM

Mugsy’s Girls starring Laura Branigan

by Anonymousreply 105March 22, 2021 2:01 PM

Has 'Butcher Baker Nightmare Maker' ever been released on the blue-rays?

by Anonymousreply 106March 22, 2021 2:05 PM

R106 yes

by Anonymousreply 107March 22, 2021 2:06 PM

Dianne Wiest gives a great supporting performance

- when hasn’t she not given a great performance ?

by Anonymousreply 108March 22, 2021 2:22 PM

What else is in the Anne Bancroft collection? I'm hoping it includes "The Girl in Black Stockings" and "Gorilla At Large."

by Anonymousreply 109March 22, 2021 3:34 PM

r109

The Anne Bancroft Collection Don't Bother to Knock / The Miracle Worker / The Pumpkin Eater / The Graduate / Fatso / To Be or Not to Be / Agnes of God / 84 Charing Cross Road

by Anonymousreply 110March 22, 2021 3:37 PM

R101 - wow, I'd forgotten about Paperhouse. What a freaky movie that was!

by Anonymousreply 111March 22, 2021 4:18 PM

Go read the Wikipedia article on the 1959 "Porgy and Bess" film. It's unlikely to be shown. They call it the "Holy Grail of missing films".

by Anonymousreply 112March 22, 2021 4:20 PM

R17 - Letty Lynton is one of those films under copyright problems, so it is never shown. And whoever holds the copyright is really diligent in making sure it never does get shown. I saw it when someone put it up on Youtube once, and it was taken down a few days later. I didn't think it was one of Crawford's better films, but I was sure glad to finally see it.

by Anonymousreply 113March 22, 2021 4:23 PM

R89, what country are you in, and are you talking about Goodbar?

[quote] Still no Ruthless People in HD

I am fairly certain this is, or was, available to rent and buy in HD on Amazon. No blu ray, of course, but I remember being put at ease knowing I could buy high def stream/download (can you actually download streams from Prime if you purchase them?). If I recall, it was $19.99 to buy.

by Anonymousreply 114March 22, 2021 4:24 PM

R114 again. Just checked, and Ruthless People is indeed available to rent in HD for $3.99 or purchase for $17.99 on Prime Video. This is in the US.

by Anonymousreply 115March 22, 2021 4:25 PM

I've noticed that Robert Altman's A Wedding has been taken out of circulation. I can't find it anywhere. It used to be shown regularly on TCM, but they haven't aired it in years. It's my favorite film of his.

by Anonymousreply 116March 22, 2021 4:28 PM

I would kill for a decent print of Bunuel’s Los Olvidados!

by Anonymousreply 117March 22, 2021 4:35 PM

R106 Yes, but not really. It's available on Bluray from Spain for $30, and in the US for almost $75. Scream Factory really needs to release it properly.

by Anonymousreply 118March 22, 2021 4:36 PM

Goin' Coconuts starring Donny & Marie

Somebody Killed Her Husband

Rabbit Test

by Anonymousreply 119March 22, 2021 4:45 PM

[quote]She talked about how she'd be in the supermarket and see Pia's pic on the cover of a tabloid and it was like knives in her stomach.

Pia's reign as a tabloid cover girl couldn't have lasted very long.

by Anonymousreply 120March 22, 2021 4:54 PM

Looking for Mr. Goodbar has been bootlegged heavily and on torrent sites.

My sister, who is an academic, has written a book about movies from the "New Hollywood" era with female protagonists, including Looking for Mr. Goodbar, which will be out next year. She said that many of the films she covered were difficult to find.

by Anonymousreply 121March 22, 2021 4:55 PM

Clownhouse

by Anonymousreply 122March 22, 2021 4:56 PM

Niagara, Niagara starring DL fave Henry Thomas. I had a VHS tape of it (which I found it a bargain bin at Wal-Mart in the 90s), but I recently searched for the DVD and it apparently never got a region 1 release.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123March 22, 2021 4:59 PM

Independence Day was released on DVD by Warner Archive a few years ago and can be purchased on Amazon. Really interesting movie because Dianne Wiest's role is just a supporting role and the real story is about Kathleen Quinlan's small town waitress/photographer, but Wiest is so good that she overshadows everyone else in the movie and you leave thinking about her and her character.

Paperhouse is a strange one. There's an HD master out there that was playing on pay channels for at least a decade or more and that same HD print has been streaming on Prime recently. Still no Blu-Ray, though. You'd think that Vestron label would put it out. It's a well loved movie, especially by people who grew up with it. It's a beautiful film and really unique.

The Devils is finally streaming on Shudder. It's been edited, of course, but I doubt we'll ever see a fully uncut version of that movie.

This is why physical media is still so important. You're not at the mercy of a streaming service to put the film on their site and keep it up there. There are some films that have never even made it past VHS and those tapes go for a pretty penny on eBay and Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 124March 22, 2021 5:10 PM

Song of the South.

by Anonymousreply 125March 22, 2021 5:14 PM

After the Fall 1974 Christopher Plummer Faye Dunaway

I finally got to see it at the Paley Center in Los Angeles when I lived in Long Beach.

Very powerful. Dunaway is riveting in the Marilyn Monroe based role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126March 22, 2021 6:48 PM

Thanks R110, but I really would rather have had Gorilla At Large than 84 Charing Cross Road.

by Anonymousreply 127March 22, 2021 7:01 PM

"Lady in the Dark" starring Ginger Rogers (admittedly not a very good film version of the Broadway musical). Taped it off AMC many years ago, but still no video release.

by Anonymousreply 128March 22, 2021 7:22 PM

THE SILVER CORD (1933) with Laura Hope Crews ("Aunt Pittypat") as a devouring monster of a mommy to Joel McCrea and Eric Linden.

Again, rights issues. It comes and goes on Youtube. It's prime DL material.

by Anonymousreply 129March 22, 2021 7:35 PM

"Only When I Laugh" with Marsha Mason, Joan Hackett & James Coco. Only on VHS.

"Stepping Out" with Liza Minnelli, Shelley Winters and Julie Walters. Only on VHS.

"The Owl and The Pussycat" with Barbra Streisand and George Segal. Released EDITED on DVD paired with "For Pete's Sake". The complete film has never been issued on DVD remastered and brought up to date. One wonders what the hold-up is. Streisand?

by Anonymousreply 130March 22, 2021 7:37 PM

'First Family' 1980

A great cast in a terrible movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131March 22, 2021 9:05 PM

[quote] Mugsy’s Girls starring Laura Branigan

This was actually on Prime up until a couple months ago.

[quote] "Only When I Laugh" with Marsha Mason, Joan Hackett & James Coco. Only on VHS.

Nope. This is available to rent/buy on Amazon and iTunes.

by Anonymousreply 132March 22, 2021 11:46 PM

I would love to get a copy of The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia w/ Dennis Quaid and Kristy McNichol.

by Anonymousreply 133March 22, 2021 11:46 PM

Him, a porn movie.

Does it exist or no?

by Anonymousreply 134March 22, 2021 11:49 PM

oh god, yes R134! I am obsessed with finding that movie. I'm sure there's a print out there somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 135March 22, 2021 11:54 PM

Only When I Laugh is on Prime for free now (well, it's "free" if you pay for Prime). We watched it a few weeks ago.

We went to see First Family as a family when I was a kid. It was so bad I don't think we even discussed the movie on the ride home from the cinema. I was mortified to be watching Gilda Radner's antics as the nymphomaniac first daughter with mom and dad.

by Anonymousreply 136March 22, 2021 11:56 PM

Death of a Princess, the TV "documentary" about the execution of a Saudi princess and her boyfriend was only broadcast once in the UK, and twice in the US. Been hard to find, but at least parts of it are on Youtube at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 137March 23, 2021 12:13 AM

R3 I know of at least three versions of the The Devils, the original cut version, an uncut version and the BFI restored version from a few years ago. They're all high quality, so they're out there. There's one version of The Music Lovers out there. You need to look at some torrent sites. They're doing the work.

by Anonymousreply 138March 23, 2021 12:28 AM

[quote]I’ve been looking for Looking for Mr. Goodbar, with Diane Keaton and Richard Gere, it is extremely rare. It’s never been on streaming or DVD

I think I watched it on youtube.

by Anonymousreply 139March 23, 2021 1:09 AM

WELCOME TO ARROW BEACH staring and directed by Laurence Harvey is very hard to find (although it was available to download on the site posted upthread).

by Anonymousreply 140March 23, 2021 1:55 AM

Another movie that, like GOODBAR, has music rights issues and is incredibly difficult to see:

REMEMBER MY NAME (1978). Starring Geraldine Chaplin, Tony Perkins, Berry Berenson, Jeff Goldblum, and Alfre Woodard (in her film debut). Directed by Alan Rudolph. Produced by Robert Altman. Music by Alberta Hunter.

I was able to record it off of TCM several years ago, but airings of it seem to be few and far between.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141March 23, 2021 2:12 AM

I believe The Music Lovers is coming out on bluray. Maybe Criterion? Very silly and very entertaining. I thought Warner Brothers was never going to release The Devils as it was originally cut when it opened. What about the complete uncut The Harrad Experiment?.

by Anonymousreply 142March 23, 2021 2:38 AM

R75 I wonder if in the current climate Foul Play would be shown? The scene with the Asian tourists in the backseat of the limo waving American flags and saying Kojack is hysterically funny but woke is humorless.

by Anonymousreply 143March 23, 2021 2:50 AM

Remember My Name just played on TCM about 6 or 8 weeks ago.

by Anonymousreply 144March 23, 2021 2:56 AM

R130The Owl and the Pussycat and For Pete's Sake are available on Prime for free with membership.

by Anonymousreply 145March 23, 2021 3:57 AM

I wish the Anne Bancroft collection had included The Turning Point and 'night, Mother. Both have not been released on Blu-ray and would have been the perfect opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 146March 23, 2021 5:34 AM

R66 Nick Nicolau??

by Anonymousreply 147March 23, 2021 6:13 AM

R143 - well before today - the politically correct 90s wouldn’t have allowed those jokes to fly either (ditto the East St Louis scene in Vacation).

by Anonymousreply 148March 23, 2021 6:26 AM

R90 Do you have a blu-ray player? Many people don't realize they play DVDs (and CDs) as well. They're very cheap now if you don't have one.

by Anonymousreply 149March 23, 2021 6:44 AM

I saw Good Bar, Foul Play, Turning Point and many of the 70s and 80s films mentioned here in the theaters, and have no desire to see them again. Almost nothing holds up

by Anonymousreply 150March 23, 2021 7:46 AM

Anne Bancroft in Garbo Talks (1984). Directed by veteran NYC director, Sydney Lumet

by Anonymousreply 151March 30, 2021 7:37 AM

For those interested --

LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR will be shown on TCM this month. 12:00 AM Eastern on May 12

by Anonymousreply 152May 4, 2021 12:41 AM

Years ago, American Playhouse presented The Old Settler starting Phyllicia Rashad and Debbie Allen. A truly outstanding production which seems unavailable now.

by Anonymousreply 153May 4, 2021 12:51 AM

I looked up Olympia Dukakis films after she died and saw there is a movie where she plays an old lesbian called "Cloudburst" now streaming on Amazon Prime. Never heard of it, but I'm going to watch it this week.

by Anonymousreply 154May 5, 2021 6:04 PM

I'm sure it is bootleg, but DVD is DVD.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155May 5, 2021 6:13 PM

[quote] Has 'Butcher Baker Nightmare Maker' ever been released on the blue-rays?

It is available on blu-ray and DVD, r106, but you really have to hunt for it. It was put out by a small indie label called Code Red and the guy who runs the label is nuts. He never made his product available to big retailers like Amazon or Barnes and Noble; you had to purchase through his bigcartel website which was only occasionally open for business and not all movies were available at all times. It was a bizarre way of doing business and then he’d bitch on forums about low sales and customer complaints. Recently I think Kino Lorber had partnered with him to release some of his titles through their web store. Not sure if Butcher, Baker… is one of them. Roninflix.com also sells some of his titles and had it for sale recently but it sold out. You can sign up to be notified when it’s available again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156May 5, 2021 7:19 PM

r150 The Turning Point is unwatchable today. No logic flowing in between scenes and lots of time jumps that ruin momentum.

Goodbar probably remains entertaining. It's both a time capsule AND a movie about a woman owning her sex life. We still dont see that a lot.

Foul Play is totally enjoyable. Great comedy and a lot of great cinema--the marriage of strong writing and camerawork. For example theres a scene where Goldie Hawn goes to her neighbors apartment and the camera is following this giant snake slithering towards her, creating suspense. You think she's about to be attacked. Then she sees it and picks it up and kisses it like it was a puppy. It's just her neighbor's pet and she likes it. But the filmmaker is always toying around with expectations and doing something clever with them.

Just looked it up. Foul Play is written by the same guy who wrote HAROLD AND MAUDE and 9 TO 5

by Anonymousreply 157May 5, 2021 7:51 PM

[quote] Foul Play is written by the same guy who wrote HAROLD AND MAUDE and 9 TO 5

Colin Higgins was an early casualty of AIDS. He gave us a lot of laughs before he died.

by Anonymousreply 158May 5, 2021 8:12 PM

"One Last Dance" Patrick Swayze made this movie about dance with his wife. Some of the wife's acting is way over the top and laughable, but I thought the dancing here was so much better than Dirty Dancing.

by Anonymousreply 159May 6, 2021 12:37 AM

Keeping Mum, a sweet British comedy with Maggie Smith as a kindly old lady who is also a killer. It’s very cute and has a gorgeous musical score.

by Anonymousreply 160May 6, 2021 1:06 AM

R117, not so hard to find.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161May 7, 2021 2:36 AM

Also for free on YouTube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162May 7, 2021 2:41 AM

Datalounge has a strange obsession with Looking for Mr. Goodbar

by Anonymousreply 163June 7, 2021 11:02 PM

[quote]Datalounge has a strange obsession with Looking for Mr. Goodbar.

Among so many other strange obsessions, R163.

by Anonymousreply 164June 8, 2021 3:27 AM

Goodbar is a great movie and unforgettable.

by Anonymousreply 165June 8, 2021 3:29 AM

R81 I always have loved Max Dugan Returns. I bought a DVD copy on eBay not long ago, but wish there would be a Blu-ray release.

Other movies that get no attention:

The Name of the Rose (now available on Blu-ray)

Needful Things (available only on DVD)

Good Neighbor Sam (now available on Blu-ray)

Resurrection (with Ellen Burstyn)

by Anonymousreply 166June 8, 2021 3:49 AM

Resurrection is great. I’d also love a Blu-ray release.

Needful Things is on Blu-ray from Kino Lorber. Apparently there’s an extended version on Blu-ray in Germany but it’s hard to come by

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167June 8, 2021 11:34 AM

Love that movie

by Anonymousreply 168July 1, 2021 6:12 AM

I've seen LFMG on TMC several times recently. Besides the final scene, it's pretty forgettable. I was impressed with Keaton cause I'd never seen her without those fucking hats and gloves, but it's the definition of a "You had to be there" film. The book is about the same.

by Anonymousreply 169July 1, 2021 12:37 PM

LFMG is a great time capsule piece. It could have been a bookend to Cruising if she had been a Dyke.

by Anonymousreply 170July 1, 2021 10:19 PM

Donald Trump's Pee Pee Tape

by Anonymousreply 171July 2, 2021 12:16 AM

r167 Needful Things is based on a popular Stephen King novel and the book has a massive, intertwining cast. It's close to a Robert Altman movie except it's horror. I think there was some deal in place to turn it into a mini-series after its theatrical/video/cable run. So there's a lot of content they filmed that didn't make it into the 2hr theatrical version. I think TNT showed it as a 2 part miniseries, which would add up, since the long cut appears to be 180 mins (TNT had commercials too).

Rick and Morty did a funny episode based on Needful Things where Summer gets a job in a store run by the devil and she likes it, meanwhile the devil is incapable of fooling Rick

by Anonymousreply 172July 3, 2021 5:01 AM

r160 i just looked up KEEPING MUM and it must be amazing. It did huge theatrical business in the UK ($18 million) but they weren't able to launch it anywhere else....suggests it was incredibly popular and had great word of mouth

by Anonymousreply 173July 3, 2021 5:02 AM

Hollywood has lots of oddities, amazing short films, low budget indie features that get passed around. Sometimes they end up gaining popularity on their own, sometimes they just launch careers (Danny McBride's THE FOOTFIST WAY was one of those--few saw the movie but McBride is now a huge actor/writer, the director did a Seth Rogen movie back when Rogen was at his hottest, and they do that Righteous Gemstones show for HBO together now).

This film is one of those... I just checked and the writer director who stars in it is still working and creating TV shows today. Got a minor VHS release at some point.... It starts out slow but the action and twists pick up....it's a master class in setup and payoff. I had a VHS dub of it years ago and would show it to all of my friends. Great example of an indie film Hollywood loved but didn't know what to do with or how to make money off of it.

If you're a fan of cult cinema, here you go. A genuinely brilliant, exciting movie you've never heard of that you can watch for free right now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174July 3, 2021 5:21 AM

I'm r174. in case you're wondering what type of movie this is, I guess you could call it a mystery suspense thriller with elements of sci-fi. I dont think the filmmaker is as good as Night Shymalan (its also low budget and his first feature), but its the type of movie Shyamalan could remake.

by Anonymousreply 175July 3, 2021 5:25 AM

Don’t know if it was mentioned on this thread but 1974’s Buster and Billie just got released on Bluray after being “lost” for the last 40+ years. Doesn’t Jan-Michael Vincent go full frontal in this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176July 4, 2021 1:23 AM

Datalounge fave Jinxed! with Bette Midler

by Anonymousreply 177July 4, 2021 3:57 AM

I have never seen The French Connection. At the time it was all anyone was talking about, and then it completely disappeared, at least in Australia. If it's ever been on TV, it hasn't been for decades, and I've never seen a DVD either. You can pay to watch it on YouTube, but for a movie which was that big, it's surprising.

Hackman's much more delicate movie, I Never Sang for My Father, is also rare. Yet The Conversation is on all the time. It's good, but I think overrated.

by Anonymousreply 178July 4, 2021 4:30 AM

I've always wanted a DVD of "Prospero's Books", but you just cannot find it.

I saw it in the theater when it was released, but man, even if you google, you can't find much about it. It's almost like it never existed.

by Anonymousreply 179July 5, 2021 3:31 AM

R179 There's a PAL (European standard) DVD of Prospero's Books on eBay right now for $20. There are also LaserDiscs, which don't help. Peter Greenaway's work is too challenging for a lot of distributors, so this is what happens. Seems unlikely that no one tried to do a deal with him for home video in the US, but seems pretty likely that whoever tried was unable to do a deal with him or whoever owned rights to the movie.

I have a 1080p version of 'Prospero's Books' (and a lot of other unfindable titles listed upthread), so it is out there either streaming or on Blu-ray. I downloaded it from a torrent, so I'm not sure anymore what the original source material was. Like others have said above, many of these can be found via torrent or newsgroups.

(I attached a link to the yts.mx listing for a torrent, you'd need to open it using Deluge or another torrent client. Then, click the 1080p.Bluray link, _not_ the Download link. Downloading torrents usually will get your ISP's attention, but there are plenty of ways around that. There are lots of tutorials available on how to do this.)

archive.org also maintains a tracker for torrents of content that has fallen out of copyright, or where the rights-holders don't enforce copyright.

Good luck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180July 5, 2021 3:15 PM

OP, Looking for Mr. Goodbar was on TCM about a month ago and I missed it. I, too, have searched and all I can find are brief clips on YouTube. I'm also looking for "Cruising" with Al Pacino.

by Anonymousreply 181July 5, 2021 9:58 PM

R181 Cruising is on Prime

by Anonymousreply 182July 5, 2021 11:01 PM

"Cruising" is on Bluray. You can get it for Target.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183July 6, 2021 4:29 AM

*at* Target lol

by Anonymousreply 184July 6, 2021 4:30 AM

I want Prospero's books on 4K BlueRay US Region, and such a thing doesn't exist.

by Anonymousreply 185July 6, 2021 2:23 PM

The nude shot from "Buster and Billie".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186July 7, 2021 8:25 PM

You're doing the gay lord's work, r186

by Anonymousreply 187July 8, 2021 8:36 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!