Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Obscure/dismissed movies worth watching

Put your recommendations here.

Anyone ever seen "The Betsy"? I was thinking of watching it. It appears to have had terrible reviews, but the cast and premise are interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185April 21, 2021 4:57 AM

I have a vague recollection of a reviewer making fun of Olivier's participation in this, and the apparently horrible accent he employed in the role.

by Anonymousreply 1March 15, 2021 12:07 AM

Gene Siskel described one of the scenes:

[quote]How else do you explain the following tasteless scene, which inexplicably occurs in the middle of a saga of an automotive scion's attempt to build one last great car. In action that lasts one minute, the scion's 5-year-old grandson watches his homosexual father blow his brains out in a car. Then the crying kid runs upstairs to his mother's bedroom only to discover that Mom is shacked up with Gramps!

Sounds FABULOUS!

by Anonymousreply 2March 15, 2021 12:08 AM

"Breakdown" is a nice little thriller for when you have a lazy afternoon to kill. The late JT Walsh makes a great villain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 15, 2021 12:09 AM

Just mentioned this in another thread. Italy's Il Ladro di Bambini.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 15, 2021 12:19 AM

OP - I saw The Betsy years ago and hated it.

If you don't mind reading subtitles - and I see someone above mentioned an Italian film - my recommendation is 2004's The Keys to the House, about a disabled boy who was raised by his late mother's family after his father abandoned him as a baby. Now 15, the boy meets his father for the first time as he takes him for treatment at a children's hospital in Berlin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 15, 2021 12:44 AM

"The Yellow Rolls Royce"!

by Anonymousreply 6March 15, 2021 1:01 AM

Straight Time (1978) Dustin Hoffman's only non-hammy performance. There was a recent thread about it, but juvenile Hoffman haters ruined it. This is the only movie I've liked him in....the movie is excellent too.

by Anonymousreply 7March 15, 2021 1:07 AM

Q (1982) A Larry Cohen movie with Michael Moriarity / David Carradine / Candy Clark

[quote]NYPD detectives Shepard and Powell are working on a bizarre case of a ritualistic Aztec murder. Meanwhile, something big is attacking people of New York and only greedy small time crook Jimmy Quinn knows where its lair is.

by Anonymousreply 8March 15, 2021 1:20 AM

R6: It's high level suds.

by Anonymousreply 9March 15, 2021 1:25 AM

Circle of Iron - Story by Stirling Siliphant, Bruce Lee, and James Coburn. Strange and wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 10March 15, 2021 1:27 AM

I watched Lawn Dogs after it was recommended in one of these threads. It's wonderful and Sam Rockwell has a cute butt.

Others: After Dark, My Sweet (1990) Neo noir with young and hot Jason Patric.

Downloading Nancy (2008) Bleak, but powerful drama about a woman who asks a guy she met on the internet to kill her. Features hot daddy Jason Patric.

The Believer (2001) True store about a Hasidic neo Nazi starring a young Ryan Gosling in what I think is still his best performance.

Candy (2006) Austrian movie with Heath Ledger and Abbie Cornish as heroin addicted lovers.

Somersault (2004) Australian coming-of-age film also staring Cornish. Sam Worthington shows talent that he's never shown in his American as a young man intrigued by Cornish, but struggling with his sexuality.

Crazy/Beautiful (2001) One of the many teen movies of the late 90s/early 2000s. This is one of the better ones, but also one of the least known ones.

by Anonymousreply 11March 15, 2021 1:31 AM

Britney Spears: Lock Her Up. A yet-to-be-made movie that we all anticipate.

by Anonymousreply 12March 15, 2021 1:32 AM

Nicholas & Alexandra, 1971

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 15, 2021 1:37 AM

[quote] "The Yellow Rolls Royce"!

This movie is divided into several successive short stories following the same car through different owners. I greatly enjoyed the first with Rex Harrison's wife cheating on him with Edmund Purdom. Purdom recreating his scandal with Tyrone Powers' wife. Fast forward through the terrible George C Scott/Art Carney segment. I can take or leave the final part with Ingrid Bergman doing comedy with Omar Sharif.

by Anonymousreply 14March 15, 2021 2:09 AM

Bug (2006)

by Anonymousreply 15March 15, 2021 2:23 AM

The Rapture starring Mimi Rogers and a completely naked dick-showing David Duchovny.

by Anonymousreply 16March 15, 2021 3:54 AM

Been trying to find "The User"s on DVD. Can't find on youtube. A trashy Arron Spelling Mini-series with Jaclyn Smith, Joan Fontaine and Tony Curtis playing Jaclyn's washed-u,p actor, bi-guy husband (No toupe) . All star vehicle with great costumes and locations.. So pretty to watch.

by Anonymousreply 17March 15, 2021 2:39 PM

Steve Buscemi's ANIMAL FACTORY. Written by Edward Bunker, a prison film. stars Willem Dafoe, Edward Furlong, with Danny Trejo and Tom Arnold. Mickey Rooney, of all people, is magnificent as the tranny inmate, who wants to be a beautiful butterfly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 15, 2021 2:44 PM

Rourke, not Rooney. THAT would have been terrible!

by Anonymousreply 19March 15, 2021 2:44 PM

Also, Steve Buscemi's Tree's Lounge - Steve, Carol Kane, Samuel L Jackson, Chloe Sevigny, and on and on.

[quote]Tommy is an unemployed mechanic who spends most of his time in a bar (Trees Lounge) in a small blue collar town. He seems to always be thinking, "If only X then I could stop drinking".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20March 15, 2021 3:10 PM

The 1973 Robert Redford version of "The Great Gatsby". Loved it since I was a kid, but most people say it's terrible.

by Anonymousreply 21March 15, 2021 3:42 PM

Now I’m kinda desperate to see Mickey Rooney as a trans prisoner.

But, back to the topic at hand:

They Live

The Hidden

by Anonymousreply 22March 15, 2021 3:46 PM

One From the Heart, Eyes of Fire, Sorcerer, In the Cut, Beloved, The Cobweb

by Anonymousreply 23March 15, 2021 3:49 PM

R7 I watched that a few nights ago (it was Harry Dean Stanton day on TCM) and really enjoyed it but I think Hoffman was just as hammy as usual. The fact that he was an uncredited director makes me think that set must have been Hell. He's such an ass. Theresa Russell was so cute and Kathy Bates was so thin! I hate to admit it but I think Hoffman looked kinda sexy in it.

R8 I love that weird-ass movie!

by Anonymousreply 24March 15, 2021 4:01 PM

"Games"(1967) - Simone Signoret, James Caan and Katharine Ross.

by Anonymousreply 25March 15, 2021 4:11 PM

I saw "the Betsy" at the local theatre during my first term. Kathleen Beller's bush was the first one I'd ever seen and thankfully one of my last. I'd also never seen a girl pulldown a guys pants with Lesley Ann Down and a fairly sexy Tommy Lee Jones. For me its the perfect movie to watch on a rainy Sunday afternoon. There's sex, money, pretty people and houses, regret, sex.

by Anonymousreply 26March 15, 2021 4:42 PM

'Rollover' around 1981 with Hanoi Jane and Kris Kristofferson. There's sex, money, pretty people and houses, regret and more sex.

by Anonymousreply 27March 15, 2021 4:45 PM

R25 And whatever happened to Don Stroud? Games was so creepy at the time.

by Anonymousreply 28March 15, 2021 5:41 PM

R25 Just watched that one-so bizarre! I loved it. Their house was fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 29March 15, 2021 6:43 PM

Crash...David Cronenberg

by Anonymousreply 30March 15, 2021 7:14 PM

R21 Not bad...then novel cannot be filmed (3 versions so far) ; and at least Redford looked like he might be Gatsby, as boy Leo never could.

by Anonymousreply 31March 15, 2021 7:16 PM

1999's "Mystery Men," an uneven but engaging bit of fun with a remarkable cast including Ben Stiller, Hank Azaria, William H. Macy, Greg Kinnear, Janeane Garofalo, Paul Reubens, Kel Mitchell, Wes Studi, Geoffrey Rush, Lena Olin, Eddie Izzard, and Tom Waits. It's about of rag tag wanna-be superheroes who come together to try to save a real one. Some of it's broad, some droll, and some of sardonic--as I said, uneven. This is my favorite scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32March 22, 2021 7:26 AM

"Enough" (2002) It's seriously in my top 10 movies. Every second of it is irresistible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33March 22, 2021 7:42 AM

"God Told Me To" (1976)

Random New Yorkers committing terrible murders, all with the title excuse.

Tony LoBianco, Sandy Dennis, Sylvia Sidney. It doesn't hang together at the end, but it's low-budget bliss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34March 22, 2021 7:53 AM

It’s been talked about on here occasionally but The Long Walk Home with Sissy Spacek and Whoopi Goldberg is quite good. It was in limited release Christmas time for about a split second - so it never exactly got a chance.

by Anonymousreply 35March 22, 2021 7:59 AM

I've found two rather charming B&W mysteries on Youtube from the 1960s from a Youtube Channel called "Paul's Classic British Films and TV Programmes". There are currently 223 titles

1. Smokescreen (1964) about an insurance man suspicious of a possible suicide which would negate an insurance payout

2. Who Killed the Cat (1966) about a trio of old ladies renting rooms in a large house and how they become entangled in and suspected of a poisoning.

I have been in the mood for these low key movies with no violence.

by Anonymousreply 36March 22, 2021 8:13 AM

"The Private Eyes" (1980) is a screwball comedy starring the "Apple Dumpling Gang" team of Tim Conway, & Don Knotts. Pure fun, and an all-time favorite of my late mother.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37March 22, 2021 8:57 AM

This isn't exactly obscure, but I've never personally known anyone else who's seen it, except in online forums, and in the comment sections of YouTube.

My mother wasn't single, and there were only three children in our family (of which I'm the middle), but this movie spoke to my family immediately, and mirrored our life. It's a comfort film for me, but also one I watch when I feel I need a bit of a kick in the pants.

Our life was very similar. Perhaps that's why I love movies & theatre as much as I do...and why I became a costume designer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38March 22, 2021 9:07 AM

Private Parts (1972) Paul Bartel's best film. Creepy and campy.

by Anonymousreply 39March 22, 2021 9:15 AM

R38 Thank you. I thought I had seen all of Kathy Bates' movies but not that one!

by Anonymousreply 40March 22, 2021 2:06 PM

Tell Me That You Love Me, Junie Moon with Liza Minnelli, Ken Howard and Robert Moore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 22, 2021 7:49 PM

[italic]Perfume: The Story of a Murderer[/italic] starring DL fave Ben Whishaw.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42March 22, 2021 9:32 PM

Five Days One Summer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43March 22, 2021 9:36 PM

Eulogy (2004) dysfunctional family funeral drama movie

by Anonymousreply 44March 22, 2021 9:46 PM

Jacqueline Susann's Once Is Not Enough, magnificent trash worth watching if only to see Melina Mercouri and Alexis Smith in a lesbian relationship that is ultimately punished by death, maturally.

by Anonymousreply 45March 22, 2021 10:17 PM

Diggstown

Next Stop Wonderland

by Anonymousreply 46March 23, 2021 12:16 AM

"My Dinner with Andre" was satirized by a short film called "My Donut with Annie." I saw the latter in a theater when it came out, but I can't find it anywhere now.

by Anonymousreply 47March 23, 2021 12:27 AM

I remember the trailer for R42's pick made me laugh when Dustin Hoffman said "Parfooooomah."

by Anonymousreply 48March 23, 2021 1:16 AM

Independence Day starring Kathleen Quinlan and Dianne Wiest. It was recently put onto DVD by Warner Archive and it's a great, small drama. Don't see many movies like this anymore.

by Anonymousreply 49March 23, 2021 1:37 AM

Bush and almost full Dusty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50March 23, 2021 1:38 AM

Heartland

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51March 23, 2021 1:49 AM

[quote]I saw "the Betsy" at the local theatre during my first term. Kathleen Beller's bush was the first one I'd ever seen and thankfully one of my last.

I'm pretty sure the sight of Kathleen Beller's huge, floppy jugs turned me gay.

by Anonymousreply 52March 23, 2021 1:57 AM

Movie, Movie (1978) co-starring a hot young Harry Hamlin and DL fav Ann Reinking (RIP)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53March 23, 2021 2:02 AM

R32 I love that movie.

by Anonymousreply 54March 23, 2021 2:32 AM

The 'Psycho' sequels. Part 2 is probably the best one, a psychological thriller that explored the themes of redemption, obsession, and revenge. Part 3 is an off-the-wall grand guignol descent into madness, with a style all its own. Part 4 is the weakest, but Olivia Hussey is terrific as Mrs. Bates in the numerous flashbacks.

by Anonymousreply 55March 23, 2021 2:43 AM

[quote]The Rapture starring Mimi Rogers and a completely naked dick-showing David Duchovny.

Was this from the tape of her Scientology audit of Duchovny?

by Anonymousreply 56March 23, 2021 2:48 AM

The Honeymoon Killers

by Anonymousreply 57March 23, 2021 2:50 AM

I've seen that movie, R38. Loved it!

by Anonymousreply 58March 23, 2021 2:51 AM

What was the movie about the kids that started with them finding their father dead in the bathtub? I think I have that right. Anyway, it was a popular kids book in the '70s, I think.

by Anonymousreply 59March 23, 2021 3:15 AM

The Baby (1972) 4 women want Baby for their own reasons and he's a grown man in diapers! Wonderfully sick and campy with a great final twist and Ruth Roman as baby's mother is incredible!

by Anonymousreply 60March 23, 2021 3:31 AM

The Rapture really stayed with me when I first saw it. I was young and would get lost in that kind of stuff. A lesser movie that really affected me that was kinda like it was an 80's movie called The Seventh Sign with Demi Moore. That one did a number on me at first despite seeing it years later and thinking it was terrible but it's one that got me at first.

by Anonymousreply 61March 23, 2021 3:45 AM

"Nicholas and Alexander" was "obscure" and "dismissed?" Like hell it was! It was nominated for six Academy Awards and won two.

by Anonymousreply 62March 23, 2021 3:51 AM

Oops. Make that "Nicholas and Alexandra."

by Anonymousreply 63March 23, 2021 3:52 AM

‘Night Mother with Sissy Spacek and Anne Bancroft. Terrific book and stage play but the movie is an incredible pairing for the roles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64March 23, 2021 4:08 AM

Isn't Night Mother another role that Kathy Bates originated on stage but was too fat and ugly to play in the film version?

by Anonymousreply 65March 23, 2021 4:15 AM

The Name of the Rose (with Sean Connery)

The Parallax View (with Warren Beatty)

The Ghost Writer (with Ewan McGregor)

Silent Running (with Bruce Dern)

Resurrection (with Ellen Burstyn)

Good Neighbor Sam (with Jack Lemmon)

by Anonymousreply 66March 23, 2021 4:17 AM

I love Resurrection

by Anonymousreply 67March 23, 2021 4:18 AM

IIRC, the Parallax View was kind of like the left-wing version of Deep State paranoia.

by Anonymousreply 68March 23, 2021 4:31 AM

I'm going to add "Cruising" to this because outside of gaydom hardly anyone is aware of it. I love the look, sound and creepiness of it. Right on the eve of AIDS, too...

I wonder if it's in the public domain now, as people will post the entire movie to Youtube. Maybe the studio feels it's made all the money it's ever going to make- and no one wants anything to do with it anymore?

by Anonymousreply 69March 23, 2021 5:24 AM

R65 - yes Kathy Bates did it on Broadway.. The character is written as fat, something that Sissy is not in the movie, though she has a line which references it.

by Anonymousreply 70March 23, 2021 5:35 AM

The Long Riders - The Quaid, Carradine, Guest and Keach brothers do whores, banks and the Cole/Younger gang. First time on-screen for a young Christopher Guest (aka Baron Hayden-Guest of Sailing aka Mr. Jamie Lee Curtis) and his even younger brother Nicholas.

Runaway Train - Andre Konchalovsky's claustrophobic, heart-pounding, edge of your seat film with excellent performances from Jon Voight, Eric Roberts and Rebecca De Mornay.

by Anonymousreply 71March 23, 2021 5:55 AM

Yes! Ghost Writer (2010). Love it when Ewan says "Monastic".

Miss Ever's Boys (1997) Alfre Woodard.

The Long Walk Home (1990). Sissy Spacek

A Perfect World (1994) Kevin Costner.

Just too many of these obscure gems.

by Anonymousreply 72March 23, 2021 9:31 AM

I don't think Runaway Train is obscure or dismissed. It scored three Oscar nominations and got good reviews.

by Anonymousreply 73March 23, 2021 11:54 AM

R73 Here's a little experiment. Go outside, stop 20, 30 people and ask them: "Did you see Runaway Train?" If you get more than one answering "Yeah, and it was awesome!", I'll come to wherever you are and blow you on high street of your city.

THAT'S how obscure it is.

by Anonymousreply 74March 23, 2021 12:00 PM

In the Spirit with Elaine May and Marlo Thomas

by Anonymousreply 75March 23, 2021 12:18 PM

3 Women (1977) - Robert Altman

by Anonymousreply 76March 23, 2021 12:28 PM

I watched The Betsy on cable with one of my high school buddies, I remember him going nuts for the girl who was topless.

by Anonymousreply 77March 23, 2021 12:32 PM

Only the first 2 parts of 3 Women is worth watching. Once it gets into all that Jungian dream stuff it goes down the shitter.

by Anonymousreply 78March 23, 2021 12:34 PM

Where the River Runs Black

[quote]An orphaned boy who was raised in the Amazon jungle is brought back to civilization by a priest who knows his father.

The boy is the child of a young priest and a native woman is rumored to turn into a dolphin at will. It's a beautifully filmed movie, magical realism at it's best. Charles Durning plays an old priest who tells the story. DL favorite Conchata Ferrell is also in it.

by Anonymousreply 79March 23, 2021 12:52 PM

Young Adam - Ewan McGregor and Tilda Swinton

by Anonymousreply 80March 23, 2021 1:01 PM

R5 I'd forgotten about "The Keys to the House". I rented that one over a decade ago on Netflix and absolutely loved it. Incredibly moving performances by both the father and the son, as I recall.

by Anonymousreply 81March 23, 2021 1:07 PM

[italic]Nothin In Common[/italic] with Tom Hanks, Eva Marie Saint and Jackie Gleason in his final film role about a successful yuppie ad exec whose aging parents decide to get divorced. I thought that Hanks was better in this than than he was in either of his Oscar winning performances.

by Anonymousreply 82March 23, 2021 1:17 PM

The Housekeeper starring Rita Tushingham

by Anonymousreply 83March 23, 2021 4:39 PM

Sweet Land, 2005, one of the all-time great love story films.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84March 23, 2021 7:08 PM

R37 & R38 Here. I just remembered this gem from 1997. It stars Norman Reedus as a wayward young man, Adrien Brody as his loser friend, and Debbie Harry (who steals every scene she's in) as his incest-obsessive, psycho mother. I found it in a 2 for $5 movie bin the early 2000s. I still own and love it.

I don't peesonally know another single person who has ever seen this. And I've never thought Reedus was attractive. At all. Not even for five minutes. But he's very good in this. They all are.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85March 24, 2021 12:38 AM

R65 The same thing happened later on with "Frankie & Johnny At The Claire de Lune", (the play was written for Bates & F. Murray Abraham specifically). Frankie is SUPPOSED to be a middle-aged, unattractive frump. But that was thrown out the window when Pfeiffer was cast opposite Al Pacino. I've always wanted to design this show.

It wasn't until Robert Altman transferred "Come Back To The Five And Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean" from the stage to the screen, that Bates got to reprise a Broadway role on film. Fuck, I love that movie.

by Anonymousreply 86March 24, 2021 12:46 AM

I'm sorry. R86 was for R64!

by Anonymousreply 87March 24, 2021 12:47 AM

I second The Keys to the House. Great movie. Tried not to cry but lost :(

by Anonymousreply 88March 28, 2021 12:59 PM

THEM A crazy creepy movie about them and they in a big Romanian house where one of they or THEM do not survive! Terrifying!

by Anonymousreply 89March 28, 2021 1:17 PM

Michelle said in her Inside the Actors Studio interview that they justified her casting in F&J by making the claim that pretty people can be lonely too. Then of course they still tried to de-glam Michelle. I read that Barbra wanted the Michelle part but Gary Marshall went with Michelle instead.

by Anonymousreply 90March 28, 2021 1:19 PM

"The Adventures of Tartu," a WW II movie starring Robert Donat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91March 28, 2021 1:28 PM

I've Heard the Mermaids Singing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92March 28, 2021 1:43 PM

Brainstorm with Natalie Wood and Christopher Walkin. I think it was Wood's last movie before she was mysteriously not murdered.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93March 28, 2021 1:52 PM

Also a favorite of mine, r75...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94March 28, 2021 1:59 PM

R74 There are a few degrees between "obscure art house movie than four people have seen" and "Marvel movie that everyone knows." Runaway Train is in the middle.

by Anonymousreply 95March 28, 2021 2:09 PM

Homebodies

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96March 28, 2021 5:07 PM

"Born to Win", one of my favorite movies of the 70s. Watched it again last night in honor of George Segal, who plays a former hairstylist turned junkie in dirty, gritty 70s NYC. Costars Karen Black, Paula Prentiss, and very early roles for Hector Elizondo, Robert DeNiro, and Burt Young. Also has a great jazz-funk score.

It's in the public domain, so it's pretty easy to find.

by Anonymousreply 97March 28, 2021 6:44 PM

R51 I didn't start watching Conchata Ferell until later in her career. But it's kind of funny to see the much younger actress with that distinct voice she still had when she was much older (it didn't seem to change). I'll definitely check that out.

by Anonymousreply 98March 29, 2021 7:29 AM

I just watched that trailer, R97. If Karen Black is involved, I'm game. That being said, after seeing Segal as the buttoned-up college professor in "Virginia Woolf" (and I know they were different times), I've never found him to be as physically attractive in any other role.

Of course, he wasn't playing a junkie in "Virginia Woolf, either. But I absolutely HATED "The Owl And The Pussycat", and he wasn't a junkie in that, either.

Anyways I'll have to check out "Born To Win".

by Anonymousreply 99March 29, 2021 7:36 AM

this one is TV but I have been trying to see it for years and finally got a pirate copy. A Question of Love (1978). Linda Ray Guettner (Gena Rowlands), a divorcée, fights in court to keep custody of her two sons after her ex-husband files for full guardianship. While he had previously been content to let Linda raise the boys, the father finds out that she has moved in with Barbara Moreland (Jane Alexander), another single mom, and that the two are pursuing a lesbian relationship. The ensuing legal battle carefully argues whether an environment with two homosexual parents is healthy for children. It was excellent.

by Anonymousreply 100March 29, 2021 12:02 PM

R100 I've never seen that, but my mom talks about it to this day.

by Anonymousreply 101March 29, 2021 12:52 PM

Follow That Bird.

a harrowing drama of a young child pried away from his multi-ethnic family by a segregationist that believes he's better off living with people of his own race and his desperate journey to find his way back home.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102March 29, 2021 12:59 PM

R101 - what does your mom say about it?

by Anonymousreply 103March 29, 2021 1:09 PM

Someone upthread mentioned 1972's Private Parts so I'll throw a mention to Howard Stern's Private Parts. Honestly, it's one of the best "90s Movies".

by Anonymousreply 104March 29, 2021 1:12 PM

R103 That it's great, the actors are great. My mom is a fan of Jane Alexander. (I hope she never finds out about Jace,)

by Anonymousreply 105March 29, 2021 1:17 PM

R104 That is hardly an "obscure" movie.

by Anonymousreply 106March 29, 2021 1:17 PM

Housekeeping (1987). Christine Lahti. Dir: Bill Forsyth

Gregory's Girl (1981). Dir: Bill Forsyth....Local Hero (1983).

by Anonymousreply 107March 30, 2021 7:23 AM

[R106] but it is /dismissed

by Anonymousreply 108March 30, 2021 8:23 AM

Boomerang! (1947) is a lesser known film by Elia Kazan. A prosecutor puts his reputation and life at risk to fight for his defendant who has been framed for murdering a priest.

by Anonymousreply 109March 30, 2021 1:55 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110March 30, 2021 4:06 PM

Anything by John Sayles but especially Brother from Another Planet and Secret of Roan Inish.

by Anonymousreply 111March 30, 2021 4:43 PM

I saw two Tom DiCillo films recently I liked. Delirious, and Double Whammy.

by Anonymousreply 112March 31, 2021 4:28 PM

R111 I watched Secret of Roan Inish as part of an "Irish Myths and Legends" class I took in undergrad and it has always stayed with me. It is an absolute masterpiece that touched me when I was a 19-year-old gay edgelord

by Anonymousreply 113March 31, 2021 4:46 PM

R112 Living in Oblivion is great. It has a following among film industry people.

by Anonymousreply 114March 31, 2021 4:47 PM

Here are a load of films underrated, dismissed and/or ignored from the recent past...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115March 31, 2021 8:21 PM

Reckless

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116March 31, 2021 11:07 PM

The Wrong Box.

Btw, I caught Five Days One Summer on tv one time without knowing anything about it and it blew my mind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117March 31, 2021 11:16 PM

R114 - Steve Buscemi is in those other films too.

by Anonymousreply 118April 1, 2021 6:58 AM

My two favorites are both mentioned: The Rapture and Housekeeping.

How 'bout The New Age? Michael Tolkin's follow-up to The Rapture, starring Judy Davis and Peter Weller as a Hollywood couple who lose their industry jobs and open up a New Age gift shop on Melrose. A very haunting movie that stayed with me long after I saw it. I don't think there was ever a dvd release. I've never looked for it on streaming....but definitely worth viewing if you come across it.

by Anonymousreply 119April 1, 2021 7:23 AM

Does anyone remember a movie called heroes from 1978?

Starred Sally Field and Henry Winkler.

by Anonymousreply 120April 1, 2021 9:25 AM

R119 It got a DVD release.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121April 1, 2021 10:14 AM

Eve's Bayou. Criminally underappreciated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122April 1, 2021 10:38 AM

The Hill (1965) and The Offence (1973). Two powerful, grown-up, brutal films from Sidney Lumet getting the very best from Sean Connery (although The Hill has a terrific ensemble cast).

by Anonymousreply 123April 1, 2021 11:33 AM

R70, actually, according to the playwright the role of the daughter was written for someone skinny and physically more like Spacek than Bates.

But Bates was so good they threw out that idea when going into production and changed the script to accommodate Bates.

R86, you are slightly off. Bates never played Frankie and Johnny on Broadway. The original production which she was in was off-Broadway.

And Come Back to the Five and Dime was released BEFORE Bates played 'Night Mother on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 124April 1, 2021 11:55 AM

My nomination is "ZOO".

Crazy strange film about death and amputation.

We screened it at the Boston Film Festival. People came with their kids thinking it was an animal picture.

Too funny.. They didn't stay long.The film is really good but seriously messed up.

by Anonymousreply 125April 1, 2021 1:29 PM

R125 That reminds me, all of Bobcat Goldwaith's directorial efforts are great, especially Sleeping Dogs Lie.

by Anonymousreply 126April 1, 2021 2:24 PM

"The Mother" with Ann Reid and Daniel Craig, is a provocative drama depicting a widow's sexual reawakening through a relationship with her daughter's married lover. Yeah, I know.

I saw it a long time ago on premium cable (HBO?), but this movie seems to have disappeared off the face of the Earth; I've been searching for a dvd copy for years.

by Anonymousreply 127April 1, 2021 3:36 PM

Mother Love with Diana Rigg and David McCollum. BBC series from 1990. Very entertaining and chilling. Can't find it anywhere, though.

by Anonymousreply 128April 1, 2021 11:06 PM

Thanks, 115. I didn't know about most of these.

by Anonymousreply 129April 1, 2021 11:22 PM

Dinah East is obscure, but I don't know if it's worth watching.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130April 2, 2021 1:57 AM

R126 Total agreement. I want to mention World's Greatest Dad starring Robin Williams. I think Goldthwaite is a very humane film-maker.

I had seen a couple of his stand-ups over 20 years ago and couldn't stand him. Especially his cringey voice. Then I was working at a Tribute for Bea Arthur, (of all people) and Bobcat was the emcee. He started his routine with references and jokes making fun of gays. (did he even realize who his audience was?). But as he continued, it became clear. He wasn't making fun of gays, he was mocking gay bashers. He was impersonating one, but doing it in a way....well, it's hard for me to describe, but aside from being edgy, I thought it was borderline brilliant. He totally won me over. I've seen all movies he's directed. I recommend them all.

by Anonymousreply 131April 2, 2021 7:46 AM

R102: if that movie had been made in a third world country, it would have won at least five Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 132April 2, 2021 8:23 AM

R131 I only watched his films, because my sister, who is a film geek with impeccable taste, insisted that they were "brilliant."

by Anonymousreply 133April 2, 2021 1:48 PM

This list seems ready made for this thread. Has anyone seen Under the Silver Lake to recommend or veto?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134April 3, 2021 12:00 PM

[quote]Has anyone seen Under the Silver Lake to recommend or veto?

I've seen it 3 times, so obviously I like it a lot (even if I don't completely understand it). The best way I can describe it is to imagine a Thomas Pynchon novel as directed by David Lynch, but with a somewhat lighter, less nihilistic touch. I can certainly understand people disliking it. But if you're willing and able to follow it down its own peculiar rabbit hole, you might find it very interesting and rewarding.

Or not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135April 3, 2021 8:57 PM

I loved [italic]World's Greatest Dad[/italic] and found it one of the funniest movies Robin Williams had made in years after so many post-Oscar stinkers. But [italic]God Bless America[/italic] was horrifically bad except for the casting of the teenage girl.

by Anonymousreply 136April 4, 2021 4:04 AM

"Victim," starring Dirk Bogarde. Also his "Libel."

by Anonymousreply 137April 5, 2021 4:19 AM

R91, Robert Donat's character in that movie is like some precursor to James Bond, especially in the first act where he defuses the bomb with utmost sang-froid. The movie never really takes off as I hoped it would but Donat is superb as usual.

by Anonymousreply 138April 5, 2021 6:06 AM

R137 Victim is fantastic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139April 5, 2021 4:59 PM

[quote]On the inside cover of his personal shooting script, Dirk Bogarde picked out his scenes and tied them together. Here, we can exclusively see character Melville Farr's occurrences in Basil Dearden's Victim (1961) from start to finish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140April 6, 2021 1:02 AM

YANKS (1979) with Richard Gere

by Anonymousreply 141April 6, 2021 1:48 AM

I can't read or understand his notes at all, r140!

by Anonymousreply 142April 6, 2021 2:01 AM

I loved Scotland, PA. Macbeth set in the 1970s at a burger stand.

by Anonymousreply 143April 6, 2021 4:14 AM

Hey, anyone remember that cheesy film PARTNERS (1982) with John Hurt and Ryan O'Neill? I thoroughly enjoyed it!

I'd highly recommend it if you want to see the good times before AIDS wreaked havoc on the persons depicted in it.

by Anonymousreply 144April 6, 2021 10:58 AM

Ooooohh, found a link.

Enjoy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145April 6, 2021 11:00 AM

Really looking forward to watching this now.

by Anonymousreply 146April 9, 2021 4:01 PM

Come Back Little Sheba. TCM rarely shows it. I think they featured it one time a couple of years ago. I don't know why they don't show it more often. It's a very good movie, and Shirley Booth is excellent.

by Anonymousreply 147April 9, 2021 4:23 PM

The Incident. A 1967 movie with a very young Martin Sheen and Tony Musante. They played thugs who terrorized the passengers on a subway car in NYC. Pretty disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 148April 9, 2021 4:29 PM

This movie has been brought up in other threads, and I can't recommend it enough.

"The Silent Partner," a rarely seen 1978 thriller with Elliot Gould, Christopher Plummer, Susannah York, and a very young John Candy. Great script by Curtis Hanson, who also did L.A. Confidential.

Lots of good suspense, and Christopher Plummer plays one of the most despicable characters I've ever seen on film. In my opinion, he should have gotten an Oscar nomination for this one.

One warning, though - watch out for the aquarium scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149April 9, 2021 5:35 PM

Thanks, r149! I just rented it from Amazon!

And r148, your post is helpful, as I've seen the movie on my TV schedule but have never watched it. I will, now!

Side note: I'm on a Dirk Bogarde jag, so I've been buying DVDs of his "Doctor" comedies and other earlier flicks such as "The Blue Lamp" and "The Jolly Swagman." Alas, it seems his final film, "Daddy Nostalgia" (I know: execrable title), is MIA.

by Anonymousreply 150April 9, 2021 7:59 PM

R148 "The Incident" also has a very young Donna Mills, a very young Ruby Dee, and DL favorite Thelma Ritter!

by Anonymousreply 151April 9, 2021 8:08 PM

R150 I will echo R149's warning on the aquarium scene in Silent Partner.

My brother and I saw this movie in the theater when we were teenagers and that scene traumatized us!

by Anonymousreply 152April 9, 2021 8:13 PM

Stepping Out. Liza is a revelation, really doing some different things than she does in all of her previous hits. She winds up pregnant and their's a tap show!

by Anonymousreply 153April 9, 2021 9:24 PM

A lot of the movies mentioned have been getting blu-ray releases. If you're exclusive to streaming services you're missing out on a lot of good stuff.

by Anonymousreply 154April 10, 2021 3:37 PM

Where do these Blu-ray editions stream?

by Anonymousreply 155April 10, 2021 3:39 PM

"Satisfaction" starring Justine Bateman

by Anonymousreply 156April 10, 2021 4:04 PM

The Spanish Prisoner

Night Falls on Manhattan.

December Bride

by Anonymousreply 157April 10, 2021 4:06 PM

Runaway Bride is another one more people should see

by Anonymousreply 158April 12, 2021 6:14 PM

Love the 70s Great Gatsby, too. Really enjoyed Somersault

I recommend Midnight Madness (1980) and The Phantom of the Paradise (1974).

by Anonymousreply 159April 12, 2021 6:24 PM

Hal Ashby's The Landlord (1970) This film seems like it might have influenced Spike Lee. Terrific performances by Beau Bridges, Lee Grant (Oscar nominated), Diana Sands, Pearl Bailey and Louis Gossett Jr. Funny and still relevant 50 years later. And better than Ashby's Harold and Maude and Shampoo IMHO

Hal Ashby's debut film is one of his best. Pauline Kael

by Anonymousreply 160April 12, 2021 10:57 PM

The Betsy is The Worst. I watched it for Olivier and couldn't actually finish it. Such crap! The old lord must have really needed the money because good god!!

by Anonymousreply 161April 13, 2021 12:11 AM

If you like poetry, you might just love "Stevie" with the wonderful Glenda Jackson. I stumbled on it by chance on MGM Channel and it was the film that made me fall in love with Glenda. 70's-ish, quiet, unassuming, it draws you in mysteriously and makes you quite emotional. Has anyone else seen it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162April 13, 2021 12:21 AM

Stevie was pretty popular in the early 80s. It ran for a very long time in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 163April 13, 2021 12:40 AM

Boulevard, one of Robin Williams' last film roles. After it premiered at the Tribeca Festival, it was shelved til more than a year after Williams' death. One of his best performances, in my opinion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164April 13, 2021 3:56 AM

"Secretary", which I'm pretty sure the author of "50 Shades of Grey" ripped off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165April 13, 2021 4:06 AM

Who Is Julia? (1986) about a woman who gets a BRAIN transplant. It stars

Mare Winningham

by Anonymousreply 166April 16, 2021 4:27 AM

Victim is certainly worth watching but hardly obscure or dismissed. It is included in The Celluloid Closet documentary. Not sure if I would call it a classic because there are some unintentionally funny things in it.

by Anonymousreply 167April 16, 2021 4:44 AM

Advantageous. It made me cry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168April 16, 2021 12:13 PM

The Breed (2006) is pretty silly but has some scary moments. John and Matt go on a trip to an island cabin along with friends. Their plan to spend a relaxing weekend goes haywire when they encounter a horde of dogs that have been genetically redesigned to kill.

by Anonymousreply 169April 18, 2021 2:22 PM

R78 It's revealed at the very end that the whole movie was a dream.

by Anonymousreply 170April 18, 2021 2:37 PM

McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971) marred by the worst special effects ever.

by Anonymousreply 171April 18, 2021 2:40 PM

976-Evil.

by Anonymousreply 172April 18, 2021 2:45 PM

Great White Hope has been largely dismissed. James Earl Jones and Jane Alexander **chef's kiss**

by Anonymousreply 173April 18, 2021 4:09 PM

The Friends of Eddie Coyle -- Robert Mitchum, Peter Boyle

by Anonymousreply 174April 18, 2021 4:10 PM

Night Moves - Gene Hackman, James Woods, Melanie Griffith (15 years old!), Susan Clark...

by Anonymousreply 175April 19, 2021 4:36 PM

The Serpent and the Rainbow

by Anonymousreply 176April 19, 2021 4:37 PM

I was just talking about this movie in the Joan Rivers thread. Once Upon a Coffee House, or strangely renamed Hootenanny A Go-Go (1965). Features a young Joan Rivers and other in a folk-music coffeehouse environment that was commonplace in the early-mid 60s. This movie, even in '65, was a day late and a dollar short. The Beatles became the apple of America's eye and left folk music in the dust.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177April 19, 2021 5:42 PM

The Apostle - Robert Duvall. He said it was his life's work. Beautiful film. Small - but effective - part by Farrah Fawcett

by Anonymousreply 178April 19, 2021 6:35 PM

DL fave Stockard Channing in "The Girl Most Likely To". A 1973 TV movie written by Joan Rivers and featuring Ed Asner and Larry Wilcox. A dark revenge comedy of an ugly duckling turned swan. Recently remastered on blu ray and worth seeking out. You know you want to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179April 19, 2021 7:00 PM

R179 I saw this when it originally aired on the ABC TV Movie of the Week. I was just a kid, but I thought it was hilarious. It was the first time I had seen Stockard Channing in anything, and I was obsessed with her.

by Anonymousreply 180April 20, 2021 2:35 AM

R167, Depends on the country, no? Landmark in the UK, not so much in the US, which never gave Dirk Bogarde his due.

by Anonymousreply 181April 20, 2021 3:18 PM

Three Women starring Sissy Spacek and Shelly Duvall. Worth watching!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182April 20, 2021 3:38 PM

R127, it's available on Amazon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183April 21, 2021 2:47 AM

"You'll Like My Mother". Patty Duke plays a very pregnant Vietnam War widow who visits her late husband's mother. The mother lives in an old mansion and all is not what it seems. Good little thriller that was filmed in a Minnesota mansion where a murder had actually taken place. Also in it are Richard Thomas and playing one of her MANY roles as a girl with special needs, Sian Barbara Allen.

by Anonymousreply 184April 21, 2021 4:54 AM

The City Of The Dead. Ahead of it's time. Creepy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185April 21, 2021 4:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!