Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Enrolled in college for summer

At the age of 30 I am super excited to announce I will be enrolled in college! It will be online because of the pandemic, but still stoked. Looking at studying history, kinesiology, or sociology. Wouldn't mind becoming a coach and history teacher. Maybe something in fitness to. Has anyone else on here been on non traditional student?

by Anonymousreply 38May 14, 2022 8:14 AM

Pro-tip: Study something liberal art-sy, but pair that with something practical, say tech and history. Doing so will both make you employable and give a wider perspective on the world.

by Anonymousreply 1March 12, 2021 4:58 PM

Was about to enthusiastically reply since I’m turning 30 and have just commenced studies in social work but then noticed the OP is Collinboy. Ew!

by Anonymousreply 2March 12, 2021 5:00 PM

Definitely don’t study something in tech. If you want to sit at a desk facing the wall with no human contact the rest of your life… Then invest in a technology degree.

by Anonymousreply 3March 12, 2021 5:00 PM

I was a 30 year old nighttime law student. Worst decision of my life with tremendous debt but you do you! p.s. Liberal Arts degree=unemployment but you already knew that.

by Anonymousreply 4March 12, 2021 5:05 PM

Collinboy, your grammar and spelling has already improved!

Stay in school.

by Anonymousreply 5March 12, 2021 5:05 PM

You’re enrolled in college “for the summer?”

by Anonymousreply 6March 12, 2021 5:06 PM

You go, boy. 😘

by Anonymousreply 7March 12, 2021 5:07 PM

R2 what does that mean? Ew? R4 I'm sorry you had a rough experience, are you better now?

by Anonymousreply 8March 12, 2021 5:16 PM

R6 I mean i start this summer

by Anonymousreply 9March 12, 2021 5:16 PM

It's college, be a whore. Oh wait, you already are one!

by Anonymousreply 10March 12, 2021 5:26 PM

"To?"

Take a fuckin' English class!

by Anonymousreply 11March 12, 2021 5:30 PM

I had a few students who were in their 30s and one student who was 43, when I taught a nursing course for a baccalaureate nursing program. Non-trad students are very common in recent years.

Congrats on starting school again. It won’t be easy at times but just keep a good perspective instead of getting discouraged when you experience obstacles from time to time. Know you have to sacrifice certain things in order to achieve the bigger goals. Non-trad students are often the most focused because they’ve no time to waste and no bullshit to take. I’d suggest making friends to form study groups with other non-trad students you may meet.

by Anonymousreply 12March 12, 2021 5:38 PM

“Super excited”. “Stoked”. What do so-called adults speak/write this way?

by Anonymousreply 13March 12, 2021 5:47 PM

Good for you OP! You'll be studying what you want to study. Keep following your bliss and all best!

by Anonymousreply 14March 12, 2021 5:53 PM

R3 - wall or cubicle but paid! 💵 OP - follow R1 advice. It is all about balance.

by Anonymousreply 15March 12, 2021 5:53 PM

Hey, congratulations!! I got my second bachelor’s at 26 and was a much better student. Still young enough to deal with the schedule but far more mature than my 18 year old self. Good luck!!

by Anonymousreply 16March 12, 2021 5:58 PM

Happy for you, OP. Let us know if you need help.

by Anonymousreply 17March 12, 2021 6:04 PM

thanks for all the support!

by Anonymousreply 18March 12, 2021 7:05 PM

As soon as you register, be sure to ask where the most popular glory holes on campus are located.

by Anonymousreply 19March 12, 2021 7:19 PM

As someone who taught both traditional and non-traditional mix at community colleges and state schools and then 30 years of the 18-22 year olds at a small private school, I can tell you your teachers are likely to look forward to having you in class. My experience was that most NT students were there because they finally wanted to be and knew what the value of the education was.

My own tip (I went back and got an extra grad degree--a second PhD, which turned out to be a real mixed deal, and, non, I'm not humblebragging--once you know how to do one, it's not hard to do another, you just break it down into discrete tasks): monitor yourself (not obsessively) so that you don't seem to suggest to the college professors that you know more than they do (though, about many things, you will) and similarly, find a happy balance between friendliness with and distance from the traditional students. They are likely to enjoy being in class with you, but may not want to include you in their after class reindeer games. That's only natural and not intended to be mean.

by Anonymousreply 20March 12, 2021 7:25 PM

What have you decided to do, Collinboy? Did you find an eleventh sugar daddy to help you pay for college??!

by Anonymousreply 21September 1, 2021 7:20 PM

Great decision, OP. Make the most out of it!

by Anonymousreply 22September 1, 2021 7:53 PM

Hi. I was enrolled online at the University of Houston but suffered a panic attacked and deferred to start in January. I will be studying kinesiology.

by Anonymousreply 23September 1, 2021 8:35 PM

College is going well. I changed my major to history. I am also studying for my real estate license.

by Anonymousreply 24January 14, 2022 6:45 PM

Good on you ! Stick with it and you will NEVER REGRET it !

by Anonymousreply 25January 14, 2022 6:48 PM

R25 Thank you. I hope so. It is a hard major.

by Anonymousreply 26January 14, 2022 6:58 PM

You're still a fucking whore, Collinboy

by Anonymousreply 27January 15, 2022 4:36 PM

R27 why don't I come and beat your ass?

by Anonymousreply 28January 19, 2022 9:09 PM

R28 I'd watch

by Anonymousreply 29January 19, 2022 9:18 PM

My wonderful neighbor takes free college classes at a CUNY school. She loves it. They’re free for people over 60? 65?. She’s a very youthful woman, and she told me that the professors like her because she’s enthusiastic and is there because she WANTS to be.

by Anonymousreply 30January 19, 2022 9:54 PM

Great! I went back to school online at 53. Studying what I should have studied 30 years ago and loving every minute.

by Anonymousreply 31January 19, 2022 11:16 PM

I had to stop college online because I could not afford to take the time off of work. Thank you all for the encouragement.

by Anonymousreply 32May 14, 2022 4:48 AM

Good on you OP! All the best. Study hard but don't forget to fuck.

by Anonymousreply 33May 14, 2022 5:18 AM

R33 I won't lol

by Anonymousreply 34May 14, 2022 5:30 AM

Since you are in Texas you should look up Kirker. He is balls of fun.

by Anonymousreply 35May 14, 2022 5:35 AM

Congrats OP!

by Anonymousreply 36May 14, 2022 5:44 AM

I took a few yrs off after high school to work, started JC at 22 & transferred as a junior to a UC school at 25. Apparently 25 was the start point for non-traditional students—even as juniors?—so I’d get spammed with mailers in my school mailbox to join their club.

One of my hall mates was a child phenom who graduated at 15 & went straight to college. Needless to say, that made me feel VERY old.

by Anonymousreply 37May 14, 2022 6:24 AM

What's the point of going to virtual college? Going to college is to getting laid with your schoolmates! I'm not going bankrupt by studying online and still not getting laid every night afterclass.

by Anonymousreply 38May 14, 2022 8:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!