Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Madonna's wedding to Guy Ritchie

Why Scotland? Surely Italy would have been more fitting? Not even a catholic ceremony, was she that desperate to rebel?

by Anonymousreply 23June 12, 2021 10:59 AM

Captain John Vivian Ritchie, Guy's father, served in the Seaforth Highlanders. His parents divorced and remarried up in status. A Scottish wedding had some class to it.

by Anonymousreply 1March 12, 2021 11:18 AM

And after 20 years, you are still obsessing about it. What a life!

by Anonymousreply 2March 12, 2021 11:19 AM

What did Guy’s parents think when he brought home the world’s biggest whore?

by Anonymousreply 3March 12, 2021 1:29 PM

Being in Scotland made her pretentious English accent less grating?

by Anonymousreply 4March 12, 2021 1:38 PM

It’s right out of the way of the paps, plus I’ve been to Skibo Castle and it’s a stunning place in idyllic surroundings.

by Anonymousreply 5March 12, 2021 1:58 PM

R4 No, it would've been more grating. All English accents are grating, fake or real, to Scottish ears.

by Anonymousreply 6March 12, 2021 7:08 PM

I imagine because she was obsessed with becoming a “Lady of the Manor” in the UK and she was pathetically desperate to please Guy and show him how much she just loved the UK.

That whole time she was married to him she was incredibly fake and boring and a doormat. When Guy dumped her and they divorced, she went crazy because she realized she did all that for 8 years for nothing.

by Anonymousreply 7March 12, 2021 8:22 PM

R7 is right that the early 2000s was a period when Madonna was obsessed with becoming a Lady of the Manor-type and affected a Mid-Atlantic accent. I was in my twenties then and had been a huge fan since middle school, so I really followed her at the time. But it was during this period that my interest in her music began to wane. I recall a friend lamenting, "I miss slutty Catholic schoolgirl Madonna!" Even today, of her discography, I only listen to classic '80s or '90s Madonna, with MUSIC being the only post-2000 exception.

Anyway, I think like Meghan Markle after her, she realized that the UK was not all it was cracked up to be and the bloom was off the English rose. By the end of the decade, she moved back to NYC where she resided until fairly recently, when she relocated to Portugal (I think). I predict that she will eventually move back to NYC. She seems to have a love affair with that city.

by Anonymousreply 8March 15, 2021 12:20 AM

Madonna deferring to Guy from 2000 to about 2005 was so off-putting. It seemed to go against everything she was about. When Confessions came out in 2005, she seemed to bring back some of the old Madonna but it still felt like she was trying to juggle being both Madonna the pop star and Lady of the Manor.

I think deferring to him for so long and it not working out led to some sort of breakdown. She hasn't been the same since.

by Anonymousreply 9March 15, 2021 12:26 AM

She's a typical dumb American anglophile.

by Anonymousreply 10March 15, 2021 12:27 AM

Not sure she could have a Catholic ceremony. She was divorced. Bit I remember that they baptized their baby in a Catholic Church a few days before the wedding.

by Anonymousreply 11March 15, 2021 12:37 AM

Madonna's BFF at the time, Gwyneth Paltrow, also did a similar thing. Around 2002, she gave an interview in the UK where she more or less lambasted British men for not being as forward as their American counterparts. Basically, she was sick of making the first move whenever she visited. I think it was said tongue in cheek, but she was heavily criticized for it. The next thing I heard, she was dating Cold Play's Christ Martin and they married within a year. Their first child was born shortly after that. She relocated to the UK and talked badly about the US whenever she could.

Postscript: After ten years of marriage, she and Martin divorced and she moved back to the US and married an American (Brad Falchuk).

by Anonymousreply 12March 20, 2021 8:02 AM

She was beyond him

by Anonymousreply 13April 17, 2021 4:55 AM

Have you confessed?

by Anonymousreply 14April 17, 2021 5:11 AM

I recently read the most deliciously mean-spirited review of 'The Gentleman', that basically said Guy Ritchie tries to dress street trash up as something upper class, much like when he married Detroit's own Madonna. It was vicious!

by Anonymousreply 15April 19, 2021 9:44 PM

I remember her brother’s book about the wedding. They had to pay their own way there. And she gave him a small room. 🤣🤣

by Anonymousreply 16April 19, 2021 9:57 PM

He is so overrated as a director. But I loved when he divorced Madonna and thanked her for all the money he got in the settlement. Classy.

by Anonymousreply 17April 19, 2021 9:59 PM

R9, Remember the Mrs. Ritchie outfit she wore? She definitely did do another chameleon act with that marriage.

by Anonymousreply 18April 19, 2021 11:13 PM

She really stooped low when she married that fat prick. Why? Because she got knocked up again? He wasn’t very good looking.

by Anonymousreply 19April 19, 2021 11:19 PM

Dirt on Ritchie's new wife? Any details from UK Loungers? I've never heard of her, before googling him just now due to this thread, Jacqui Ainsley. Not a lot to go off, besides she's about 20 years younger than he and a down market Rose Byrne. (I'm a Byrner.)

by Anonymousreply 20April 19, 2021 11:34 PM

Why Not?

by Anonymousreply 21June 12, 2021 5:44 AM

Fuck the fuck off, OP.

by Anonymousreply 22June 12, 2021 7:59 AM

I’m not a Madonna fan but I have sympathy for her during her time with Ritchie. From what I understand she really wanted to make the relationship work and have a successful marriage.

by Anonymousreply 23June 12, 2021 10:59 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!