Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful friends: 1929 French Normandy house on former Rockefeller estate in Cleveland Heights Ohio, $165K

A handsome, understated house of fine quality with extensive and interesting original period details; 5 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, 3700+ square feet, and cheap property taxes for Cleveland. And a park view.

This one made me think of the recent threads on finding low-cost places to live in the U.S. Not sure you could find a better house in a really desperate and undesirable backwater hick town for this kind of price.

I'd change the countertops to butcher block or soapstone in the kitchen, make some modest improvements in a couple bathrooms, but otherwise be happy as fuck to have such s good house so cheaply, with some heavy lifting expensive projects paid for by the last owners.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43March 13, 2021 1:16 AM

It's really nice, so what's wrong with it that it's only $165K?

by Anonymousreply 1March 11, 2021 6:34 PM

R1 It's in a state that begins with a vowel.

by Anonymousreply 2March 11, 2021 6:36 PM

The agent needs to learn how to take proper photos.

by Anonymousreply 3March 11, 2021 6:42 PM

Where's that low cost thread? I don't think Ohio is that low cost (or retiree friendly). It's middle ground of all US states.

by Anonymousreply 4March 11, 2021 6:46 PM

Wow I was expecting a mess inside. It’s not bad at all. Here in MA that would be $800k or more.

by Anonymousreply 5March 11, 2021 6:46 PM

I love it, love everything about it. The bathrooms need work and the kitchen cabinets replaced, unless they're original (I suspect they're not, my grandmother's 1906 home had the exact same cabinets which were a 1940s remodel) but it looks to need minimal work.

by Anonymousreply 6March 11, 2021 6:48 PM

I know it's Ohio, but even in Ohio nice houses aren't THAT cheap. Is the neighborhood in decline?

by Anonymousreply 7March 11, 2021 6:52 PM

It’s been listed for 3 days and is already pending. For that price you can overlook a few mass murders, ghosts etc.

by Anonymousreply 8March 11, 2021 6:55 PM

Other than the living room, it evokes an early 20th century spartan, institutional ambience. A nice setting for a Stephen King movie.

The house is apparently located in a bad area. I googled "east cleveland..." and the search results indicated that it's definitely not a nice part of town.

by Anonymousreply 9March 11, 2021 6:58 PM

[quote]It's really nice, so what's wrong with it that it's only $165K?

Two words: East Cleveland

by Anonymousreply 10March 11, 2021 6:59 PM

Based on looking at the map, it appears to straddle a nice area/bad area, probably divided by Euclid Avenue

by Anonymousreply 11March 11, 2021 7:01 PM

Glanced at the street view. The place has no curb appeal and looks like a dump.

by Anonymousreply 12March 11, 2021 7:14 PM

@r10, Thank you for answering my question, I know nothing of Cleveland

by Anonymousreply 13March 11, 2021 7:17 PM

It is beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 14March 11, 2021 7:19 PM

Very nice house, there’s a bunch of the same type of houses down Brewster Rd, the side street, however, once you go a few blocks to Euclid, and beyond, it’s really sketchy. Even so, there’s a large group of nice houses with at least some buffer from the shitty parts, so you’d think it would be more expensive.

by Anonymousreply 15March 11, 2021 7:49 PM

I was kind of thinking that too R15, but I clicked on the street view map & it's adjacent to a park/green space which looks like a good place to be mugged in broad daylight.

It's kind of sad; I am from Ohio & we used to travel to Lake Erie and the surrounding area had these historic neighborhoods with homes like these that were once grand areas. Now that area is MAGA Ground Zero - more than a few of the Jan 6th organizers were from northeast Ohio

by Anonymousreply 16March 11, 2021 7:58 PM

Good luck, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 11, 2021 8:07 PM

Now that area is MAGA Ground Zero - more than a few of the Jan 6th organizers were from northeast Ohio

Prove it. NEO is solid blue, hardly MAGA country.

by Anonymousreply 18March 12, 2021 6:15 AM

Love the slate roof and it's got good bones. A little paint, replace the toilets, and transplant it to a coastal state and it would be perfect.

by Anonymousreply 19March 12, 2021 6:20 AM

It’s got one of those big security signs prominently posted near the front door. Hardest of hard passes.

by Anonymousreply 20March 12, 2021 6:25 AM

It has that "older home" charm but i kind of hate the kitchen.

but i really love eyebrow dormers on houses.

by Anonymousreply 21March 12, 2021 6:33 AM

Something eerie about the place .

by Anonymousreply 22March 12, 2021 6:41 AM

Yes there’s something eerie all right — the crime rate. The numbers are astonishing.

The overall violent crime rate is 450% — so four and a half times higher than the already ghastly US average crime rate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 12, 2021 6:45 AM

Some of the designs on the tiles look as though the owners were trying to summon demons.

by Anonymousreply 24March 12, 2021 7:40 AM

I shouldn't laugh but the chart at R23 shows the rape rate as 0%.

by Anonymousreply 25March 12, 2021 10:37 AM

I've wondered how Sloan Valve toilets work in single family houses. I live in a neighborhood of grand old houses and none have these toilets. Lots of NY apartments do, and I get that. I don't get how they work in a normal house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 12, 2021 10:44 AM

@r25, "I shouldn't laugh but the chart at [R23] shows the rape rate as 0%. "

Have you ever seen Ohio women?

by Anonymousreply 27March 12, 2021 10:52 AM

It looks like a house where a serial killer would bury small children in the basement. Tasteful friends NEVER reside in shitty, red states.

by Anonymousreply 28March 12, 2021 10:56 AM

R10: Your geography sucks. It's nowhere near Euclid Avenue. This section of East Cleveland is up the hill and away from the rest of the town. Would not be a good place in terms of schools, but would be fine otherwise. The house needs updates. I wouldn't be surpised if its recently been a rental--the current occupants are rather young.

by Anonymousreply 29March 12, 2021 11:26 AM

Love the house. I’d only wish for more original details, because I love old houses.

Sounds like the neighborhood is a problem.

by Anonymousreply 30March 12, 2021 11:34 AM

The kitchen and bathrooms need updating, the slate roof is deteriorating repairing or replacing the roof is $$$. I'd want to see a report on the plumbing and HVAC as to age and condition. The windows look original and probably leak a ton of cold air in the winter.

by Anonymousreply 31March 12, 2021 11:41 AM

The property taxes on Ohio homes are way too high

by Anonymousreply 32March 12, 2021 11:48 AM

R25 that website doesn’t provide rape stats for most communities. In fact it’s a bit dumb they have it on the graph. I’ve never seen rape numbers reported for any community.

by Anonymousreply 33March 12, 2021 2:14 PM

From the listing [quote] Last Sold$ 68k in 2016

I don't see any recent improvements that make it worth $100,000 more than just four years ago.

by Anonymousreply 34March 12, 2021 3:11 PM

I went back to Ohio, but my city was gone!

by Anonymousreply 35March 12, 2021 3:14 PM

R16: You know nothing about the Eastern suburbs of Cleveland (where this is located). You're probably the dumbass who thought this was on Euclid Avenue.

by Anonymousreply 36March 12, 2021 3:26 PM

Is that a shower for midgets next to the kitchen sink?

by Anonymousreply 37March 12, 2021 3:43 PM

r25: but what's the rape rape rate?

by Anonymousreply 38March 12, 2021 4:22 PM

It seems a little dark (might be the photos), but otherwise it's great. The price is great too.

by Anonymousreply 39March 12, 2021 5:25 PM

The property taxes in Cleveland Heights are ridiculous, almost 4%.

by Anonymousreply 40March 12, 2021 5:37 PM

That’s one ugly exterior paint job. Oh, let’s just cover up everything that gives this house charm appeal....

by Anonymousreply 41March 12, 2021 5:56 PM

One of the reasons I like Cleveland. Yes this is a little tooo close to some really bad areas. But even in the heart of Cleveland Heights you can find some good deals. Even Shaker Heights is a steal compared to most urban areas of the US. Great history, the lakefront, some gay bars, good restaurants, unpretentious. And an awesome world class hospital. Cleveland area has a lot of good things going for it.

But visit the Flex bathhouse in eastern Cleveland and you understand why it’s cheap. Some really poor areas there. But I would still consider this house. Good architecture that you can’t find in most of the US for under $1 million.

by Anonymousreply 42March 13, 2021 1:06 AM

A friend of mine bought a 1920s tudor style house with a slate roof that was much smaller than this . When she had to get the roof fixed it was going to cost her $60,000 to have it redone. And that was 10-15 years ago. I couldnt even imagine what a roof that size would cost. By the by,she ended up replacing her roof with shingles,though she really didnt want to . it was just too cost prohibitive.

by Anonymousreply 43March 13, 2021 1:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!