Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Very Gay and Interesting History of the Almost Lost Tradition of the Sunday Tea Dance

Many gay men under the age of 30 today are totally clueless of the almost lost tradition of the Sunday Tea Dance. (A tradition that really must be brought back.) So here’s a little history primer on the “Sunday T-dance” and how and why it was embraced it in the gay culture.

Historically, tea was served in the afternoon, either with snacks (“low tea”) or with a full meal (“high tea” or “meat tea”). High Tea eventually moved earlier in the day, sometimes replacing the midday “luncheon” and settled around 11 o’clock, becoming the forerunner of what we know as “brunch”.

From the late 1800’s to well into the pre-WWI era in both America and England, late afternoon (low) tea service became the highlight of society life. As dance crazes swept both countries, tea dances became increasingly popular as places where single women and their gentlemen friends could meet — the singles scene of the age.

While tea dances enjoyed a revival in America after the Great War, The Great Depression of the 30’s wiped them out. Tea consumption was in steady decline in America anyways and by the 50’s, tea was largely thought of as something “your grandmother drinks”. Also, nightlife was moving later and younger. Working men and women were too busy building the American Dream to socialize so it was left to their teenaged children in the age of sockhops and the jukebox diner. Rock and roll was dark and dangerous — something you sneaked out for after dinner, not took part in before dinner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51March 18, 2021 5:13 AM

I guess somebody spilled the tea.

by Anonymousreply 1March 7, 2021 6:28 PM

I would say more like gay men under 50. Most of my time on Halsted in my 20s was spent at Roscoe’s on Sunday afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 2March 7, 2021 6:30 PM

[quote]The downtown gays rejected the term “tea dance” as being too effete and opted for the supposedly butcher “t-dance”

Guess we wouldn't be calling it that any longer.

by Anonymousreply 3March 7, 2021 6:38 PM

Maybe gay men, of a certain age, would be interested. Doubt if the young gays would attend.

by Anonymousreply 4March 7, 2021 6:40 PM

The glory holes were always full in those days.

by Anonymousreply 5March 7, 2021 6:42 PM

Do younger people even know of cocktail hour?

by Anonymousreply 6March 7, 2021 6:50 PM

[quote] Many gay men under the age of 30 today are totally clueless of the almost lost tradition of the Sunday Tea Dance. (A tradition that really must be brought back.)

Why?

Really--what do you think young gay men are lacking by not having this?

by Anonymousreply 7March 7, 2021 6:59 PM

I thought "tea dance" meant having sex in a public restroom.

by Anonymousreply 8March 7, 2021 7:14 PM

R8, a public restroom was known as a "tea room". One went there a few hours after a "tea dance" if one couldn't get any at the tea dance.

by Anonymousreply 9March 7, 2021 7:18 PM

There's a tea every single day all summer long on Fire Island, attended by everyone, young and old!

by Anonymousreply 10March 7, 2021 7:20 PM

The Tea Dances in Atlanta during the 80s and 90s were outstanding. Bars were packed at 4 in the afternoon. You could drink, get laid and be home by 9PM to get a good night's sleep to be to work by 8AM. A great way to end the weekend

by Anonymousreply 11March 7, 2021 7:25 PM

Tea dances continue in gay resorts, but the gay bars in most major cities are closing, not for lack of interest but because the internet and phone apps have changed the appeal of the average gay person in getting laid. They don't need the bars to meet people.

by Anonymousreply 12March 7, 2021 7:27 PM

^^ It was really a fun way to meet and hook-up with a bunch of different guys, plus it was a great way just to make friends. I kind of feel sorry for young guys today who miss out on that Gay sense of community

by Anonymousreply 13March 7, 2021 7:32 PM

I thought a tea dance was just another term to mean getting fucked up and party on a Sunday afternoon. Otherwise known as Sunday Fun Day. Or at a circuit event where there is dancing, drinking, and drugs on a Sunday afternoon. I didn't know there was such a long and storied history of it. A lot of people live for Sundays. Being hung over and miserable on Monday mornings just isn't worth it.

by Anonymousreply 14March 7, 2021 7:35 PM

"Being hung over and miserable on Monday mornings just isn't worth it. "

That's why Sunday afternoon was so perfect, party and be home at a reasonable hour to sleep it off by Monday AM. It beats sitting around on Sunday just having Monday anxiety

by Anonymousreply 15March 7, 2021 7:48 PM

Body and Soul. That was a fine tea dance.

by Anonymousreply 16March 7, 2021 9:30 PM

[quote]Really--what do you think young gay men are lacking by not having this?

Why, bless your heart.

by Anonymousreply 17March 7, 2021 9:38 PM

People have other ways to connect to get laid or make friends.

You may have nostalgia for them, but if they were still needed, they'd still be around.

by Anonymousreply 18March 7, 2021 9:44 PM

Another thread where old queens reminisce about the good old slut days, classic DL.

by Anonymousreply 19March 7, 2021 9:44 PM

@r18, Ok, but it was just an easy fun way to spend a Sunday. I'm sure your dance card is always filled, but some people like the idea of just walking into a party without a lot of texting, scrolling, swiping, rejecting bullshit

by Anonymousreply 20March 7, 2021 9:51 PM

Don't shit on their cum crusted memories R19 or the elders get pissy.

by Anonymousreply 21March 7, 2021 10:00 PM

Well R21, would you rather be pissed off or pissed on?

by Anonymousreply 22March 7, 2021 10:26 PM

I am more familiar with the Sunday afternoon beer bust. I had my first threesome when a friend and I went to a Sunday beer bust, and met a guy who took us to his loft nearby.

by Anonymousreply 23March 7, 2021 10:51 PM

Sunday beer bust was the thing when I was a gayling.

by Anonymousreply 24March 7, 2021 10:56 PM

[quote] Prelapsarian gay

You misspelled "Prolapsarian".

by Anonymousreply 25March 7, 2021 10:59 PM

They're probably into both R22.

by Anonymousreply 26March 7, 2021 11:28 PM

The last tea dance I attended.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27March 7, 2021 11:33 PM

T dance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28March 7, 2021 11:54 PM

@r27... and they think us eldergays didn't know how to party. Ha!

I remember some good Tea Dances as well

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29March 8, 2021 9:10 AM

They still have them on FI, don't they? They started at 4 pm IIRC. You'd run into absolutely everyone in the Pines (which meant most of the people you knew in NYC). If you got there early you'd get a great seat on the window ledge overlooking the harbor. Back in the early 90s if you didn't see someone for a few weeks you started to get a little worried, but were afraid to ask...

by Anonymousreply 30March 8, 2021 10:30 AM

I never understood what it meant, I also thought it had something to do with restrooms.

by Anonymousreply 31March 8, 2021 10:58 AM

Warning: one needs to be on PrEP to safely read through this thread.

by Anonymousreply 32March 8, 2021 11:26 AM

Sorry, but this article comes across like an Ivy League professor who took a weekend to lecture some less fortunates in the inner-city. "Thank you wise man for enlightening the plebes!"

And the author calls himself "an accredited journalist". WTF does that mean? Who is it that accredits journalists? Is this China? Do you need a license to practice journalism?

by Anonymousreply 33March 8, 2021 12:06 PM

I lived in the Bay Area in the 1980’s and it was the thing to go to a gay dance club on Sunday afternoons. I was single and Sunday’s were dull. I don’t remember getting any action, it was social.

by Anonymousreply 34March 8, 2021 1:06 PM

How I'd like to imagine a 1980s tea dance being.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35March 8, 2021 3:20 PM

^^ The clothes are right

by Anonymousreply 36March 8, 2021 3:48 PM

I actually love this as a concept and it's been a long time since I saw it. I only ever went to one event in London, many years ago, that I thought was pretty awesome as by the time I left it was still light out and easy to get home (I didn't live centrally so was at the mercy of the train timetable - with 'traditional' nightclubs I either had to pull a guy and go back to his place or stay out all night and get the first train home at about 6am).

The only downside was it was a bit weird to emerge from a club half drunk and in daylight.

by Anonymousreply 37March 8, 2021 4:07 PM

Had many, many fun Sunday Tea Dance afternoons at The Lost & Found in Washington DC, and on vacation at The Boatslip in Provincetown. The L&F is gone, but The Boatslip - pre-pandemic - could still be a fun Sunday afternoon. Not quite as great as years ago, but what is?

Yes, I'm old.

by Anonymousreply 38March 8, 2021 4:32 PM

It's a horny time of the week for many guys. The Zone in LA (while busiest on weekend nights and not technically a Tea Dance) always had a busy Sunday afternoon session where some of the hottest dudes went to release their sperm. God, I miss that place.

by Anonymousreply 39March 8, 2021 4:56 PM

Rich’s in Houston always had a White Party on Sundays in the late Eighties.

I never knew what it meant, so I was afraid to go.

by Anonymousreply 40March 8, 2021 5:10 PM

Lost & Found, The Zone? LOL

by Anonymousreply 41March 8, 2021 7:38 PM

Do they still not allow fats, fems, or blacks?

by Anonymousreply 42March 17, 2021 3:59 AM

The clubs and "collared shirt" bars had tea dances on Sunday afternoons; the leather and Western bars had beer busts.

by Anonymousreply 43March 17, 2021 4:04 AM

Champs in NYC used to have a good one. And Splash.

Of course Body & Soul was the ideal, never to be recreated, once in a lifetime Sunday dance party - everything else will always pale in comparison at least for dancers. Could never exist in 2020s. A different place and time. But will always be the highlight of NYC for me.

by Anonymousreply 44March 17, 2021 4:05 AM

[quote]High Tea eventually moved earlier in the day, sometimes replacing the midday “luncheon” and settled around 11 o’clock, becoming the forerunner of what we know as “brunch”.

Sounds like elevenses, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45March 17, 2021 4:38 AM

[quote] Don't shit on their cum crusted memories [R19] or the elders get pissy.

Don't shit on people who have memories instead TikTok twerking posts, rapidly aging twonk.

by Anonymousreply 46March 17, 2021 5:20 AM

I'm not sure about what will happen in the future with COVID restrictions, social distancing and whether it will eventually reopen, but Oscars in Palm Springs has had a Sunday Tea Dance for decades, and seems always to be crowded when I have passed it on vacations. I have only attended a few times, since it's very packed and loud and it takes a very long time to get to a bartender to order a drink.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47March 17, 2021 6:44 AM

We used to have a Sunday Tea Dance in Brighton, England in the 00s.

It was called Sundae Sundae. Had a nice outdoor seating area overlooking the pier and sea.

It was a strange mix of people that were still partying from the Saturday night. Those that were doing the drag queen Caberet circuit that ran on Sundays. Those that were going clubbing Sunday night. Was fun.

Those were the days.

by Anonymousreply 48March 17, 2021 9:30 AM

Hunters in Wilton Manors has/had a good one. Beer blast and disco- and you don’t feel too old to dance even at 60

by Anonymousreply 49March 17, 2021 3:54 PM

R27: Orgies are so distracting though

by Anonymousreply 50March 17, 2021 4:13 PM

R46 Case in point.

by Anonymousreply 51March 18, 2021 5:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!