Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dürer's portrait of his mother

I think it's my favorite work of art ever. I used to not like it, as it's almost painful to look at; but now that my own mother is sick it holds a certain poignancy for me. You can almost feel the grief of a son about to lose a mother he was very close to.

Shortly after her death, he wrote, "This my pious Mother bore and brought up eighteen children; she often had the plague and many other severe and strange illnesses, and she suffered great poverty, scorn, contempt, mocking words, terrors, and great adversities. Yet she bore no malice. She feared Death much, but she said that to come before God she feared not. Also she died hard, and I marked that she saw something dreadful, for she asked for the holy-water, although, for a long time, she had not spoken. Immediately afterwards her eyes closed over. I saw also how Death smote her two great strokes to the heart, and how she closed mouth and eyes and departed with pain. I repeated to her the prayers. I felt so grieved for her that I cannot express it."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 6, 2021 4:47 PM

That's a hard 63! I've got 2 years on that old bag, and I could be her daughter.

This "momager" recommends a waterproof sunblock and an intensive nighttime moisturizer, just for a start!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 5, 2021 12:48 PM

She looks better than Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 2March 5, 2021 12:57 PM

She does look ancient -- my mother is over 80, and looks better. But she may already have been very ill by the time he drew her -- cancer or tuberculosis will do that to even a young person.

by Anonymousreply 3March 5, 2021 3:15 PM

Durer is a fantastic artist and is not discussed enough. Thank you for posting this, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4March 5, 2021 3:24 PM

You're welcome, r4. I've always thought he'd have been interesting to know in person. I think he had a good sense of how extraordinary he was, especially at printmaking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 5, 2021 3:30 PM

18 children - just think about that - in the 15th century.

I would have welcomed death if I was her.

by Anonymousreply 6March 5, 2021 3:31 PM

r6 Catherine of Siena was her mother's TWENTY-FIFTH child (I am almost certain there were some multiples in there)

by Anonymousreply 7March 5, 2021 3:33 PM

R1, Durer's picture depicts what Kris Jenner would look like without plastic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 8March 5, 2021 3:39 PM

Tough crowd. You should look so good after bearing and raising 18 children in poverty and suffering from the plague.

by Anonymousreply 9March 5, 2021 4:34 PM

I think that's what Keith Urban wakes up to every morning.

by Anonymousreply 10March 5, 2021 4:50 PM

Durer had classic BDF and pretty lips.

by Anonymousreply 11March 5, 2021 5:36 PM

After raising 18 children in poverty, she probably looked that haggard at 35.

Incredible work of art, OP, thanks for starting a good discussion.

by Anonymousreply 12March 5, 2021 8:04 PM

Some under-eye almond butter serum and a vaginal steam would take decades off her, OP.

by Anonymousreply 13March 5, 2021 9:51 PM

And some dentures.

by Anonymousreply 14March 5, 2021 9:57 PM

Only on the DL would a discussion on Dürer immediately turn to the Kardashian/Jenner whores. You bitches are trash!

by Anonymousreply 15March 5, 2021 10:18 PM

Did she actually raise 18 children to adulthood while poor, or did she lose a few along the way?

If she actually got them all to adulthood alive that was a monumental achievement, infant mortality was high and medical care was primitive to actively dangerous, even queens died of "childbed fever" (like his contemporary Queen Jane Seymour). Even Queen Anne, who came over a century later, was famous for losing 17 children, through everything from miscarriage to stillbirth to infant mortality to childhood diseases.

by Anonymousreply 16March 5, 2021 10:25 PM

Only three of her 18 children survived to adulthood.

by Anonymousreply 17March 5, 2021 10:37 PM

Durer is underrated as an artist. That is a very poignant picture OP, and quite moving OP. I used to be disturbed by anything to do with death (graveyards, funeral homes etc) but as the prospect of my parents dying became more real I somehow found comfort in those things. I think that the realization that most people throughout history go through very similar things made me more at peace with it.

Knowing that the family of the person in the 300 year old grave felt much the same emotions as I did when their loved one died gives me a kind of peace. I'm probably not explaining it well though.

Thank you for posting this.

by Anonymousreply 18March 5, 2021 10:49 PM

Durer was hot! However, his last self portrait stops at the age of 28, I believe. And he was close to his mother? Was he perhaps the first DLer?

by Anonymousreply 19March 5, 2021 11:33 PM

So I searched for "Durer painting", and this came up.

Perhaps it's one of his lesser-known works...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20March 6, 2021 2:13 AM

Here's an interesting etching which I hadn't seen before. If most artists of his era put anyone who wasn't white into their art, the result was offhand or a caricature. But this is a lifelike portrait, done with care and attention, with the sitter treated as an individual with a personality.

I will remember it, the next time someone complains about black actors being cast in Tudor-era dramas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 6, 2021 2:20 AM

Nude self-portrait (whose aesthetic always looked rather modern to me):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 6, 2021 9:25 AM

r18 one of my favorite poems is Ben Jonson's "On my First Son," written after the death of his son at age seven. I know I'll sound like a MARY!!!! but it's one of the few poems that moves me to tears:

Farewell, thou child of my right hand, and joy;

My sin was too much hope of thee, lov'd boy.

Seven years tho' wert lent to me, and I thee pay,

Exacted by thy fate, on the just day.

O, could I lose all father now! For why

Will man lament the state he should envy?

To have so soon 'scap'd world's and flesh's rage,

And if no other misery, yet age?

Rest in soft peace, and, ask'd, say, "Here doth lie

Ben Jonson his best piece of poetry."

For whose sake henceforth all his vows be such,

As what he loves may never like too much.

by Anonymousreply 23March 6, 2021 3:14 PM

r22, he could get it.

by Anonymousreply 24March 6, 2021 4:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!