Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Julie Andrews was the biggest movie star, male or female, on the planet from 1965 to 1968

According to the highly respected Quigley's poll on top Hollywood stars.

Except Doris Day and Shirley Temple, no female star in the history of movies was such a box office draw. She is still alive but not as celebrated as she is supposed to be.

Discuss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131April 10, 2021 5:32 PM

Are you fucking kidding OP ? Julie Andrews is an INSTITUTION. She is a legend and unlike her peers will be remembered for generations for her roles as Maria in SOM and Mary Poppins alone.

by Anonymousreply 1March 5, 2021 12:15 AM

And she's going to show her boobies.

by Anonymousreply 2March 5, 2021 12:22 AM

Julie Andrews was the biggest LESBIAN on the planet from 1964( Mary Poppins made her a STAR) to 1968.

by Anonymousreply 3March 5, 2021 12:22 AM

What are you talking about, OP? There were several leading ladies on that list ahead of Julie Andrews. Betty Grable for example.

by Anonymousreply 4March 5, 2021 12:37 AM

She's no Mary Martin.

by Anonymousreply 5March 5, 2021 1:08 AM

Sound of Music made her a superstar but Julie Andrews was already a big star by 1965.

"My Fair Lady" (1956 ) was a sensation. The original cast album was one of the biggest selling albums of the '50s. She had appeared on all the important variety shows. Cinderella in 1957 was an event. She had her own TV special with Carol Burnett. It was a big deal. And then Camelot.

by Anonymousreply 6March 5, 2021 1:24 AM

It was more the movies in question than Julie herself.

by Anonymousreply 7March 5, 2021 1:38 AM

Barbra Streisand ended Julie's reign. Barbra was the STAR of all her movies, while Julie was cast in movies that were much bigger than her. Audiences went to see a Barbra Streisand picture. Just like they went to see a Bette Davis and Joan Crawford picture. Nobody bought a ticket to A Sound of Music to watch Julie Andrews.

by Anonymousreply 8March 5, 2021 1:40 AM

Who cares?

by Anonymousreply 9March 5, 2021 1:50 AM

[Quote] Audiences went to see a Barbra Streisand picture.

If only.

by Anonymousreply 10March 5, 2021 1:52 AM

"Star" made her a former star.

by Anonymousreply 11March 5, 2021 2:01 AM

She also had a huge resurgence in the 80s...10, Victor/Victoria

by Anonymousreply 12March 5, 2021 2:27 AM

One movie ain't a huge resurgence.

by Anonymousreply 13March 5, 2021 2:28 AM

[quote] Nobody bought a ticket to A Sound of Music to watch Julie Andrews.

It's The Sound of Music, not A Sound of Music.

It's almost unimaginable to me you would not that. That's like referring to Gone with the Wind as Gone with a Wind.

by Anonymousreply 14March 5, 2021 2:37 AM

[Quote] It's almost unimaginable to me you would not that.

Glass houses, dear. Glass houses.

by Anonymousreply 15March 5, 2021 2:46 AM

Julie Andrews was a huge star for close to 5 years. And then 2 waterlogged musicals tanked at the box office and her movie career was virtually over for a number of years. It wasn't until the 1980's that she slowly but surely started to bounce back. Victor/Victoria returned her to her past glory for awhile.

by Anonymousreply 16March 5, 2021 3:04 AM

Apparently, she's quite an earthy character.

by Anonymousreply 17March 5, 2021 3:08 AM

They really didn't know what to do with her. She wasn't sexy. Her acting was arch and passionless.

Musicals became passe by the late 60s.

by Anonymousreply 18March 5, 2021 3:16 AM

r4 Only 2 female stars reigned as #1 for more number of years than Julie and they are Shirley Temple and Doris Day, both for 4 years.

by Anonymousreply 19March 5, 2021 3:27 AM

Alfred Hitchcock wanted Doris Day for his thriller movie Torn Curtain, starring Paul Newman, in 1966. When the money men insisted that he use Julie Andrews for the female lead because she was big box office at the time he was really against it because he had really enjoyed working with Doris Day in The Man Who Knew Too Much and admired her. But he complied and it seemed to work since the movie was a big box office hit.

by Anonymousreply 20March 5, 2021 3:44 AM

Didn't he stop working with big movie stars after "Torn Curtain"?

by Anonymousreply 21March 5, 2021 3:49 AM

She’s not really very interesting outside of musicals. She certainly had a good ride, though.

Maybe if she’d flashed her tits in the 70s it would have helped.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 5, 2021 4:22 AM

I wonder if she was considered for CABARET.

by Anonymousreply 23March 5, 2021 4:25 AM

Did everybody in the industry know Julie was gay then? Was it this that held her back? Did she sleep with the wrong producer's wife?

The studios could have femmed her up and made her sexy if they had wanted to.

Her Hollywood story is an odd one.

by Anonymousreply 24March 5, 2021 5:37 AM

She was great with James Garner in Paddy Chauevsky’s “The Americanization of Emily”

But that has a great cast.

by Anonymousreply 25March 5, 2021 5:47 AM

[quote]R24 The studios could have femmed her up and made her sexy if they had wanted to.

Not a chance. She didn’t have the face or personality for that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 5, 2021 5:50 AM

I love her a lot, but she didn't cultivate a persona that lends itself to "Hollywood legend" in the sense of most movie stars.

She is remembered mainly for being sort of neutered and starring in G-rated musicals with short, boyish hair. She kind of came across as a Peter Pan-esque choirboy and doesn't fit with the women of Old Hollywood.

Even her movie with risqué sexual humor has her playing a woman playing a man playing a woman.

She's quite a gender blender of a movie star, and romances were secondary in her most notable roles, unlike most other women and men who are remembered. (Even Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant!)

Friends made me watch Thoroughly Modern Millie with them many years ago, and I thought it was a funny and surprising role for Andrews but also, even at that time nearly 20 years ago, the movie was shockingly racist. It's no wonder it's not available to be streamed anywhere. If it were, the social media reaction could possibly blacklist Andrews and Mary Tyler Moore for participating in it. Very "problematic"!

by Anonymousreply 27March 5, 2021 11:53 AM

OP is a cuntface.

by Anonymousreply 28March 5, 2021 12:47 PM

[quote] Julie Andrews was the biggest movie star, male or female, on the planet from 1965 to 1968

Maybe Julie Andrews is Lilith, Adam's banished original counterpart!

Creation of male and female man:

[quote] So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female, He created them.

...and later creation of woman...

[quote] And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.

I bet Julie is Lilith, being a man, male and female, hence her popularity as both!

by Anonymousreply 29March 5, 2021 12:55 PM

TMM is still shown on TCM and is coming out on bluray shortly. Even when it opened people had problems with it. But it is a spoof of silent pictures which dealt with the same subjects; the yellow peril and white slavery. Today it is unfortunate. But like Mickey Rooney in BaT and Gone With the Wind people are willing to put up with it for the film's many pleasures. What shocked me was the original production of the stage musical with Sutton Foster which was even worse. I watched it slack jawed and I understand it's been rewritten. It had to be. What were they thinking?

Julie had the one two punch of Star! then Darling Lili. Even I who love big old fashioned Hollywood musicals think they're horrible. Then they canceled Say it With Music. Too bad She Loves Me wasn't made. That could have tapped what market was left for old fashioned movies. Airport was a G rated blockbuster in the midst of the American New Wave as well as What's Up Doc, That's Entertainment, and Murder on the Orient Express but people were not going to sit through bores like 1776 and Tom Sawyer and The Golem also known as Mame. And then there was The Tamarind Seed. It's not terrible but it's not good either.

by Anonymousreply 30March 5, 2021 1:06 PM

I have come to grudgingly respect her but she’s impossibly bland and her singing is “correct” but exceptionally dull. She brings little to a song except to deliver the notes on schedule. Like Streisand, she seemed old fashioned and old ladyish even in her youth.

by Anonymousreply 31March 5, 2021 2:53 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 32March 5, 2021 6:55 PM

By the time she showed her tits it was passe, at that point she should have flashed some beav...that would've raised some eyebrows, at least.

by Anonymousreply 33March 5, 2021 7:16 PM

She's fantastic in the BE films.

I'm fascinated by her public persona. For instance she doesn't seem ever to get nostalgic or choked up.

She's a master of warmth/distance.

by Anonymousreply 34March 5, 2021 9:23 PM

We ate each other’s muffs most cuntentedly.

by Anonymousreply 35March 5, 2021 9:28 PM

Her career is pretty fascinating, at least to me. As far as I know she made three movies that were big deals, but beyond that....nothing... Yet everyone knows who she is.

by Anonymousreply 36March 5, 2021 9:34 PM

The Sound of Music refuses to be forgotten. More than 50 years later people can still recite the lines by heart.

by Anonymousreply 37March 5, 2021 9:36 PM

[quote] Mary Poppins made her a STAR)

Big deal. Her sister Hellza was more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 38March 6, 2021 6:50 AM

[quote]By the time she showed her tits it was passe, at that point she should have flashed some beav...that would've raised some eyebrows, at least.

In that even stupider movie she made with Burt Reynolds, there's a scene in a bar where they talk about [italic]Leave it to Beaver[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 39March 6, 2021 6:51 AM

I know too much to go back and pretend:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40March 9, 2021 9:44 PM

She had star quality that was fairly unique and a gorgeous warm voice with excellent phrasing and tone. She's always so pleasant to listen to when she's singing or speaking. She was inoffensive for the most part, but still took the occasional risk. Victor/Victoria and S.O.B. were both great vehicles for her trying to reinvent herself into some sort of bawdy comedienne and become more of a character actress.

Much like Barbra Streisand, though, I'm not sure if she's ever completely fulfilled her potential as an actress and I'd love to see her play a really cold, unlikable person to really show if she has any range. She seems so lovable in real life that it'd be a pleasant shock to see her get nasty.

by Anonymousreply 41March 9, 2021 10:00 PM

She was fortunate in that she's been associated with My Fair Lady, Mary Poppins, and The Sound of Music. All three of these were monumental musicals in American history and just about anyone you meet on the street could at least tell you they've heard of it or be able to sing a few of the songs from them. They've been passed on for multiple generations now and show no signs of dying out of becoming irrelevant.

For an actor to be in even one of those kinds of projects is very rare, so to be in three guarantees you a place in American pop culture for quite a while.

by Anonymousreply 42March 9, 2021 10:03 PM

Often wonder how these polls are conducted. Steve McQueen of The Great Escape (1963), The Cincinnati Kid (1965), The Sand Pebbles (1966), Bullitt and The Thomas Crown Affair (1968) would seem to be right up there with Andrews. The big budget Hawaii (1966), Thoroughly Modern Millie (1967) and Star (1968) were all BO disappointments considering their cost and Hitchcock's Torn Curtain(1966) which paired her with one of the world's biggest movie stars of the era Paul Newman was a critical flop and did disappointingly at the BO as well. Mary Poppins(1964) and The Sound of Music(1965) were basically her claim to fame and BO clout.

by Anonymousreply 43March 9, 2021 10:08 PM

The duration of Julie's career is impressive. However, as a box-office attraction, her reign was very short indeed.

I was 10 when "Mary Poppins" came out and I wanted to se it because it was a Disney film. It was the Disney name that really launched the film to success. "The Sound of Music" was also such a known commodity that Julie, while certainly helping it to success, was not the main reason the film was a hit.

I rarely remember anyone saying, "Oh let's go to a Julie Andrews film", or studios building films around Julie with the exception of "Modern Millie", "Star" and "Darling Lili". Two of those tanked and "Millie" did well because audiences were led to believe that Julie's return to musicals would rank with "Music".

"Hawaii" scored any success it had because readers of the Michener book came out to see whether it captured the book's spirit. My parents went to see "Torn Curtain" and remarked that audiences laughed when they saw Newman and Andrews in bed together because it looked like Paul Newman was in bed with a young man. It may have made a little money but Hitchcock fans were very disappointed and in our community, at least, it was pulled out after playing 3 days only. It had been scheduled for a week.

Her 1970's output included the disappointing "The Tamarind Seed" and a total lack of chemistry with her co-star Omar Sharif. The movie "10" is remembered for Dudley Moore and Bo Derek and I know many people who are surprised that Julie was in it.

"Little Miss Marker" started the 80's off with a dud and "S.O.B." lost a lot of money. Only "Victor Victoria" scored a ten-strike while "her films with Burt Reynolds, Jack Lemmon, Alan Bates and others during the 80's did not find any audience. The 90's started with "A Fine Romance" and less audience members than saw Liza in "Steppin' Out".

ON television, while her specials scored, her musical variety series barely lasted a year and her sitcom tanked. She did okay with some television films and stage work, but when you look at her overall screen career as a star, it is checkered.

by Anonymousreply 44March 27, 2021 6:57 PM

Mary Poppins is on this afternoon. I haven't seen it for years and missed the first half today. I think it was the best movie for kids of all time. In fact it is Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

by Anonymousreply 45March 27, 2021 7:24 PM

I'm Julie fan. She makes Burlington Bertie look so much easier than it is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46March 27, 2021 7:24 PM

Julie is closely associated with 5 classic musicals, My Fair Lady (1956), Cinderella (1957) (possibly the biggest television audience of all time), Camelot (1960), Mary Poppins (1964), and The Sound of Music (1965).

by Anonymousreply 47March 27, 2021 7:31 PM

Mother and I paid good money to see "Our Julie" in what turned out to be a foul piece of smut called "SOB" in the 80s, where we were disgussed to see her dirty pillows!

by Anonymousreply 48March 27, 2021 7:45 PM

[quote]her singing is “correct” but exceptionally dull. She brings little to a song except to deliver the notes on schedule.

This is so true. I remember being on a plane and hearing Julie Andrews sing a rock song. It was so wrong.

by Anonymousreply 49March 27, 2021 8:04 PM

Actually the 1965 Quigley Poll, released in December of 1965, showed the following stars in the first four positions, in this order.

1. Sean Connery 2. John Wayne 3. Doris Day 4. Julie Andrews

by Anonymousreply 50March 28, 2021 1:02 AM

[quote]Nobody bought a ticket to A Sound of Music to watch Julie Andrews.

That was the exact point of this poll.

This poll means that for four years running, theater-owners voted Julie Andrews the #1 movie box office attraction, male or female, in the United States. This poll has always been considered the last word in the industry for determining this.

Barbra was in the top ten of this poll for many years in the 70s, and she was twice the #2 draw in the US. But Julie was #1 for multiple years running, and Barbra never got to #1. So your assertions have been directly proven wrong.

by Anonymousreply 51March 28, 2021 1:18 AM

Shirley Temple was a child star. So really, the crown for the biggest box office draw actress goes to Doris Day.

Anyway, it was a scandal that Julie Andrews was replaced with fashion model Audrey Hepburn.

And it would have been great if James Cagney had accepted the role of Alfred P. Doolittle.

by Anonymousreply 52March 28, 2021 1:20 AM

Audiences flocked to see Julie Andrews in [italic]A Sound of Music[/italic] after they thrilled to her performance in [italic]A Mary Poppin.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 53March 28, 2021 1:24 AM

Julie was number 4 in 1965, number 1 in both 1966 and 1967 and number 3 in 1968, her last year in the polling.

by Anonymousreply 54March 28, 2021 2:40 AM

John Wayne was a piece of shit and a really shitty actor.

by Anonymousreply 55March 28, 2021 2:40 AM

I remember all the advertising for Star! It was going to be the next Sound of Music.

But if FLOPPED. Hard.

by Anonymousreply 56March 28, 2021 2:41 AM

According to a book by Stephen Silverman about 20th Century Fox, "By September 1970 Fox estimated the film (Star) had lost the studio $15,091,000"

The studio assumed audiences would be anxious to see Julie reunited with the Director of "The Sound of Music" (Robert Wise), but they clearly were not. Outside of Broadway, nobody knew who Gertrude Lawrence was and Julie's star power was not enough to send the film into the black. Two years later, "Darling Lili" almost sunk Paramount, losing even more than "Star" had lost.

by Anonymousreply 57March 28, 2021 2:47 AM

It would have been interesting if either of those two films had been any good. Funny Girl and Oliver were enormous hits and released at the same time as Star!

Who in the world wanted to see a movie about Fanny Brice?

by Anonymousreply 58March 28, 2021 3:01 AM

Like "Oliver", "Funny Girl" was arriving on=screen after being a highly successful and recent stage musical. There was recognition unlike a film about Gertrude Lawrence who had been gone for 16 years.

by Anonymousreply 59March 28, 2021 3:06 AM

r27 Thoroughly Modern Millie was made over 50 years ago, not 20. You must be thinking about the Broadway musical.

by Anonymousreply 60March 28, 2021 3:07 AM

You misread r27's post, r60. He was saying he first SAW TMM 20 years ago, not that it was released 20 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 61March 28, 2021 3:13 AM

Quigley's top twelve box-office attractions in film history are:

200 Money Making Stars of All Times

DATA : Quigley Publishing Company

Sort by:

1. John Wayne Actor | True Grit

2. Clint Eastwood Actor | Million Dollar Baby

3. Tom Cruise Actor | Top Gun

4. Bing Crosby Actor | White Christmas

5. Gary Cooper Actor | High Noon

6. Tom Hanks Producer | Cast Away

7. Clark Gable Actor | It Happened One Night

8. Burt Reynolds Actor | Boogie Nights

9. Bob Hope Actor | The Ghost Breakers

10. Paul Newman Actor | The Hustler

11. Doris Day Soundtrack | Pillow Talk

12. Rock Hudson Actor | Giant

by Anonymousreply 62March 28, 2021 3:18 AM

"Torn Curtain" was awful. The acting, the cliche ridden script and the cheap Universal backlot filming (and worse back projection) add up to a dull forgettable film. Newman was not intimidated by Hitchcock and question some of his choices--that may be why Hitchcock stopped working with "stars".

The success of "The Sound of Music" revived interest in musicals, but it didn't last long. Andrews would have had a longer peak if musicals had remained in vogue and the ones released were better quality. The family quality of "the Sound of Music" probably helped make it successful and Andrews having been in the kid friendly "Mary Poppins".

Andrews is hardly legendary. She had a couple iconic films and never entirely disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 63March 28, 2021 3:19 AM

On Quigley's all-time top moneymaker list, Julie finishes at number 42.

by Anonymousreply 64March 28, 2021 3:25 AM

Most stars are HUGE for just 3 to 5 years. The rest is just filler with one comeback or two if they're really lucky.

by Anonymousreply 65March 28, 2021 7:32 AM

[quote] She's fantastic in the BE films.

What is BE, R34?

by Anonymousreply 66March 28, 2021 7:57 AM

Blake Edwards, R66

by Anonymousreply 67March 28, 2021 8:05 AM

R45, no it isn't. There are so many Disney movies better than that poorly structured mess of a film I can't even name them all. This is but one of many. Even the same people could make a better film without her or Walt around.

And you're really delusional if you think it's better than [italic]The Wizard of Oz[/italic]. Not only that, the song you quoted was rightfully the target of a plagiarism lawsuit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68March 28, 2021 8:51 AM

Walt plagiarized [italic]Song of the South[/italic] and was rewarded for it. That's the key to success: take a movie with Black people in it and take the Black people out of it.

But that's not all he plagiarized, as the link below proved.

[quote] Anyway, it was a scandal that Julie Andrews was replaced with fashion model Audrey Hepburn.

No, it wasn't. The scandal was that Audrey wasn't rewarded with her second Oscar for it especially when MFL rightly got acting noms in every other Oscar category and when two of the films she did get nominations for were also from Warner Bros. Oscar voters would buy her as a nun or a blind woman as long as she didn't sing.

Rita Moreno won for a dubbed performance in [italic]West Side Story[/italic]. Peggy Wood would go on to be nominated for a dubbed performance in [italic]The Sound of Music[/italic] only to lose to Shelley Winters. The arguments against Audrey just do not hold up, and even less so after Julie lost her voice. She wouldn't have needed surgery if her technique was any good.

Julie Andrews was also on Mr. Blackwell's Worst Dress List in 1968. She was always a fashion disaster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69March 28, 2021 8:56 AM

Sorry, I couldn't find a better link but here it is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70March 28, 2021 8:57 AM

The total Box-Office gross from Julie's 1991 romantic comedy was abysmal, but not as bad as that for her 1986 Golan-Globus release, "Duet for One"

"A Fine Romance" · Gross revenue $16,500

by Anonymousreply 71March 28, 2021 4:09 PM

The real reason Star! flopped is because it was so sour.

by Anonymousreply 72March 28, 2021 4:17 PM

[Quote]Andrews is hardly legendary.

She is a Living Legend. !

by Anonymousreply 73March 28, 2021 7:21 PM

Only fat fraus give a shit anymore, R73.

by Anonymousreply 74March 29, 2021 5:59 AM

r74, world is full of fat fraus, wake up

by Anonymousreply 75March 29, 2021 6:10 AM

What do you expect when they use her movies to sell Coca-Cola?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76March 29, 2021 6:24 AM

Some of the musical numbers are really good in "Star!" The soundtrack is quite good, too. The script was pretty bad though.

I've founds the meeting story of Julie and Carol Burnett a bit off. Supposedly Julie Andrews was without friends or needed a bud when she was in NY, and someone at "My Fair Lady" introduced her to Carol in "Once Upon a Mattress", unless I'm getting the shows mixed up. The thing is, Julie was in NY since 1954's "The Boy Friend", where she had a roommate Dilys Lay, and then Andrews became a big star in "My Fair Lady" in 1956. "Once Upon a Mattress" didn't open until 1958 or 1959. Carol was staying at the hotel equivalent of "Stage Door" where she and others would take turns wearing then washing a special dress for auditions. So was it during "Camelot" perhaps that someone thought Carol Burnett would be a good chum for Julie?

by Anonymousreply 77March 29, 2021 7:27 AM

She never should have done 8 shows a week in V/V if her losing her singing voice was going to be the end result.

If it wasn’t for her, maybe the studios wouldn’t have gone crazy with the budgets of musicals and the “New Hollywood” boomer-yuppie douchetrash who took the places of the old moguls would not have used every excuse in the book to declare them dead for 20 years. What does it tell you when the biggest hits to come out of that whole late 1960s movie musical arms race were the ones she had nothing to do with?

by Anonymousreply 78March 29, 2021 6:50 PM

I thought it was botched routine surgery that cause Julie Andrews to lose her voice

by Anonymousreply 79March 29, 2021 7:04 PM

She wouldn’t of needed the surgery if she had taken better care of herself.

Lots of singers over 60 can still sing. She wasn’t one of them. Forbidden Broadway was right. “I Couldn’t Hit The Note” was a warning that went unheeded.

by Anonymousreply 80March 29, 2021 7:07 PM

Andrews was miscast in Star! Someone like Siân Phillips would have made a much better Gertrude Lawrence.

by Anonymousreply 81March 29, 2021 7:29 PM

I couldn't stand her when I was a kid--I felt she ruined Mary Poppins, had a bizarre affected voice, etc. Then I liked her later in Victor/Victoria and SOB. SOB is one of my favorite films. She is probably as crazy as every other actor/actress, but nicer than most?

by Anonymousreply 82March 29, 2021 7:31 PM

Noel Coward needs to be the subject of a movie.

by Anonymousreply 83March 30, 2021 6:35 AM

[quote] [R74], world is full of fat fraus, wake up

That should have been the title of a Jackie Collins sequel: "The World is Full of Fat Fraus."

p.s. -- Hi, Matt Anscher at r74!

by Anonymousreply 84March 30, 2021 7:26 AM

I recently watched That's Life! She really can't match Jack Lemmon's improvisational style and when she has a supposed emotional breakdown on the beach it's laughable.

by Anonymousreply 85March 30, 2021 7:44 AM

Lemmon doesn't improvise. He just overacts.

by Anonymousreply 86March 30, 2021 11:45 AM

Won't someone please shit in my mouth?

by Anonymousreply 87March 30, 2021 5:36 PM

I met her for an AIDS benefit when she made that TV movie with Ann-Margret. She was cold as ice until the cameras started turning, then she became Maria the enchantress from the Austrian hills. Chilling.

by Anonymousreply 88March 31, 2021 10:59 PM

R81Did you get that from Pauline Kael's review of Goodbye, Mr. Chips?

by Anonymousreply 89March 31, 2021 11:32 PM

R89 No, I don't read Kael. I love Sian Phillips in Chips and that's how I imagine Gertrude Lawrence should have been portrayed.

by Anonymousreply 90April 1, 2021 1:38 AM

She’s a great star- The Boy Friend, brilliant as Eliza in My Fair Lady and in Camelot on the stage- then the string of movies. She’s also a lovely human being. I know Blake Edward’s was a big Queen, but he and Julie raised a family of which she is devoted- I have a friend (a very successful composer and arranger who will remain nameless) who is an old friend of hers. He’s gay but has never said Julie is-

by Anonymousreply 91April 1, 2021 2:23 AM

[quote] Won't someone please shit in my mouth?

We know you're desperate for human contact, Matt at r87, but that's not an appropriate request.

by Anonymousreply 92April 1, 2021 2:26 AM

The dame's great with a show tune...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93April 1, 2021 2:33 AM

That's a chilling anecdote, R88.

But I suspect it's necessary for the sanity of those human beings who are traded as commodities.

by Anonymousreply 94April 1, 2021 2:39 AM

My point is that Funny Girl is a good movie and Star! is not. It made a great lp and souvenir book but the film itself is an ordeal. Daniel Massey is wonderful but he is only intermittently there on the fringes.

Most of those late 60's musicals are not very good but the two best were big hits. Perhaps if On a Clear Day hadn't been cut to shreds it might have been a hit too. And replace Yves with Sinatra. Having Frank sing those Lane-Lerner songs would have been heaven. But who would have gotten top billing? Babs if she had had any self awareness would have ceded it to Frank. But her ego wouldn't have allowed it.

by Anonymousreply 95April 1, 2021 2:49 AM

Living deep in the closet tends to make one cool and distant.

by Anonymousreply 96April 1, 2021 4:19 AM

Won't someone please shit even harder in my mouth?

by Anonymousreply 97April 1, 2021 5:23 AM

Ha ha, the hell she was!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98April 1, 2021 5:28 AM

Betty Grable was a Top Ten Moneymaking star for a solid decade. I think Mary Pickford is the only female star who has matched and surpassed Betty Grable's box office popularity for that many consecutive years. The irony is that today most people couldn't name two of Betty Grable's movies or one of Pickford's. Such is fame.

by Anonymousreply 99April 1, 2021 5:29 AM

[quote]Most of those late 60's musicals are not very good

Yes they were, just not the ones she ruined.

by Anonymousreply 100April 1, 2021 5:34 AM

Dame Julie tried to diddle my clit. Repeatedly.

by Anonymousreply 101April 1, 2021 6:10 AM

Rachel York, we don't know who you are.

Did you play Woman 6 in 'Hamilton'?

by Anonymousreply 102April 1, 2021 6:16 AM

Wasn't she the woman in those "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful" shampoo commercials?

by Anonymousreply 103April 1, 2021 6:21 AM

Dr Dolittle is one of the worst movies in the history of civilization. Finian's Rainbow isn't much good either. I do like Sweet Charity and Paint Your Wagon(if only for the spectacular male chorus which could never be duplicated on a stage. It sure as hell wasn't at Encores.) Goodbye Mr. Chips isn't bad.

by Anonymousreply 104April 1, 2021 9:32 PM

Doris Day has aged worse than any of them. Aside from her Hitchcock film, most of her fare is archaic.

Part of that is due to her own image. She could have done The Graduate but found it too vulgar. It was a toss up between Loretta Young and her in terms of the biggest prude.

by Anonymousreply 105April 1, 2021 9:50 PM

"The Pajama Game" is one of the best screen adaptations of a Broadway musical and Doris Day is nothing short of outstanding in it. Likewise, "Calamity Jane" has the kind of fun, spirit and a genuine acting job by Day.

While some of the Warner fare makes you wish she was at MGM, there are half a dozen of the nearly dozen and a half films that are very enjoyable.

"Love Me or Leave Me" is exceptional by any standard and her Hitchcock film is masterful from all involved.

"Teacher's Pet" is one of the best of the comedies because of an Oscar-nominated script and the adult acting by Day and Gable.

What works especially well for Day is the fact that she played career women and/or mothers. "Please Don't Eat the Daisies" may not be a comedic gem but she works seamlessly with children and a dog and does not overcompensate by chewing the scenery to keep the focus on her. Likewise in a well-scripted comedy like "The Thrill of it All" (Carl Reiner and Larry Gelbart) with good direction by Norman Jewison, she delivers.

Yes, some of those films are not worth revisiting but as for being a prude (either on-screen or off), nothing could be further from the truth.

"The Graduate", "Turning Point" and "Mother" are three roles that she could have done wonders with if she had trusted her director and taken the chance. Clearly they saw in her an actress with that ability even if she had moved on to more important work in her life.

by Anonymousreply 106April 1, 2021 11:49 PM

Mary Pickford was the world's first global superstar. When she got off the boat in London, for her honeymoon with Douglas Fairbanks, there were 100,000 people waiting on the dock to see them. No one had ever experienced such a thing before.

by Anonymousreply 107April 2, 2021 1:22 AM

[quote] Dr Dolittle is one of the worst movies in the history of civilization.

[italic]Dr. Dolittle[/italic] is a 1998 movie with Eddie Murphy as a veterinarian who can talk to animals with thermometers up their butts.

The musical was called [italic]Doctor Dolittle[/italic]. And if you thought that was bad (more like meh then outright bad, but at least it looked nice in 70mm) you should have seen the X-rated movie Anthony Newley did after it.

Hollywood has never gotten these books right and if the Robert Downey, Jr. version is any indication, they never will.

by Anonymousreply 108April 2, 2021 1:43 AM

Yes as much as I think Doctor Dolittle is terrible if I had the chance to see a Todd AO print I would grab it.

Day is absolutely sensational in TPG. And if you like movie musicals at all you must get the new bluray. I want to grab people on the street, shake them by their lapels and demand they get this disc. It is spectacular. At times it actually looks like HD. If you don't think you like Day see this. How is a movie that mostly takes place in a factory so visually appealing? Get Harry Stradling to film it. And when Eddie and Reta do a soft shoe you've died and gone to heaven.

by Anonymousreply 109April 2, 2021 4:01 AM

[quote] TPG

What?

by Anonymousreply 110April 2, 2021 4:05 AM

She has Klan Granny written all over her.

by Anonymousreply 111April 2, 2021 5:35 AM

Tiny Pgymy Goats, Rose!

by Anonymousreply 112April 3, 2021 12:18 AM

Day mostly is good at screaming in "The Man Who Knew Too Much". Not bad, really, but not great. It's second string Hitchcock at best, not as good as the original. Day brought a perkiness to her mother and career woman roles which probably made her sparkle more than if one of her contemporaries like Donna Reed or Jean Hagen had played the parts, or perhaps the younger Vera Miles. OTOH, I think she would have been awful as Mrs. Robinson.

by Anonymousreply 113April 3, 2021 12:40 AM

Why didn't she become a rapper after she lost her ability to sing?

by Anonymousreply 114April 3, 2021 4:01 AM

R109, actually 35MM film is higher resolution than HD.

by Anonymousreply 115April 6, 2021 8:59 PM

remember that lez that came out a few yrs ago with her story bout bein a young adult whom julie had an affair with during one of her early bway shows.....can see it.

by Anonymousreply 116April 6, 2021 9:01 PM

Harry Stradling, Sr. was a master cinematographer. He deserved his Oscar for [italic]My Fair Lady[/italic], and Streisand rarely looked better than in the films she made where he was the director of photography.

by Anonymousreply 117April 7, 2021 4:36 AM

Alwys knew she was a dyke.

by Anonymousreply 118April 7, 2021 6:00 AM

I've never seen her generate sexual chemistry with anyone.

by Anonymousreply 119April 7, 2021 6:07 AM

I don't need to see people generate sexual chemistry unless they're in porn.

by Anonymousreply 120April 7, 2021 6:15 AM

The only time she and Christopher Plummer convincingly looked like they were in love was when their faces were in silhouette.

by Anonymousreply 121April 7, 2021 6:16 AM

Agree with (121) about Andrews and Plummer. The gazebo sequence and "Something Good" are the only moments in the film in which the stars have even a modicum of chemistry. Plummer does, however, have great chemistry with Eleanor Parker, who excels in a relatively small role.

by Anonymousreply 122April 7, 2021 12:11 PM

R88 - That TVM was Our Sons. Donald Barnes is stricken with AIDS and languishing in a San Diego hospital. His boyfriend, James Grant, tells his businesswoman mother, Audrey Grant (Julie), the tragic news and asks her to accompany him to Arkansas to find Donald's homophobic mother, waitress Luanne Barnes (Ann-Margret). As she struggles to convince Luanne to visit her dying son, Audrey faces her own repressed hostility toward her son's sexuality. I love it when Julie curses. She visits A-M's trailer park and Ann refuses to go with her to see her son so Julie yells "You stupid bitch! He's dying!" Then Julie storms and tells her driver "Get Me the Hell Out Of Here!"

by Anonymousreply 123April 7, 2021 1:11 PM

But the funniest part is Julie's suit that Ann borrows. Now Julie Andrews is twice the size of Ann-Margret but the script has Ann comment that Julie's suit is too SMALL for her so she had to take it out a bit.

by Anonymousreply 124April 7, 2021 1:14 PM

You bitch!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125April 7, 2021 2:08 PM

google lady who had affair with julie andrews.....yep.....dykester

by Anonymousreply 126April 8, 2021 3:57 AM

Julz kept trying to diddle my clitty. In two shows!! Help me, Equity.

by Anonymousreply 127April 9, 2021 5:24 AM

Where's the York tea coming from? Nothing on the inter webs.

by Anonymousreply 128April 9, 2021 3:21 PM

Some dumb people with the mentality of 12-year-olds still think it's funny to call androgynous women "men" or insinuate that lesbians are inherently unfeminine.

by Anonymousreply 129April 9, 2021 4:23 PM

Everyone knows Dame Julz was all over me, first in Putting it Together—and then in Victoria/Victoria. I told her, “I aini’t like that, lady.”

by Anonymousreply 130April 10, 2021 4:05 AM

That’s why nobody would have bought her in a movie where she was actually in love with Dick Van Dyke.

by Anonymousreply 131April 10, 2021 5:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!