Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Favorite frozen food?

As a kid I used to love Banquet pot pies and Banquet fried chicken. As an adult I don’t like them. I rarely buy frozen foods but every once in a while I’ll treat myself to a Stouffer‘s turkey tetrazzini. That stuff is like crack to me! So what’s your favorite? It can be sweet or savory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300September 1, 2022 9:00 AM

Barber chicken stuffed breasts

Banquet fried chicken

by Anonymousreply 1March 2, 2021 10:03 PM

Stouffer’s mac and cheese. Patti LaBelle’s Mac and cheese.

by Anonymousreply 2March 2, 2021 10:04 PM

Tater Tots were the first thing that popped into my mind.

by Anonymousreply 3March 2, 2021 10:05 PM

Trader Joe's Hatch Chile Mac n' Cheese

Trader Joe's Thai or Pork or Chicken Pot Stickers

Trader Joe's Four Cheese Gnocchi

Amy's Pesto Tortellini

by Anonymousreply 4March 2, 2021 10:08 PM

Used to love Stouffer's Turkey Tetrazini and also their chicken pot pie.

by Anonymousreply 5March 2, 2021 10:09 PM

I like boring old fish sticks and pommes duchesse. why not make it a comfort meal and throw a frozen strudel in the oven after the fish comes out.

by Anonymousreply 6March 2, 2021 10:09 PM

Trader Joe's burrito's are good too but they all have super high sodium content

by Anonymousreply 7March 2, 2021 10:10 PM

Red Baron deep dish pepperoni pizza.

by Anonymousreply 8March 2, 2021 10:11 PM

Stouffers Mac & Cheese, but has to be eaten with cranberry sauce

by Anonymousreply 9March 2, 2021 10:11 PM

That sounds good, R9

by Anonymousreply 10March 2, 2021 10:14 PM

Stouffers makes the best frozen entrees.

by Anonymousreply 11March 2, 2021 10:15 PM

TGI Fridays Boneless chicken wings

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 2, 2021 10:16 PM

R9 that does not sound appetizing to me but to each their own!

by Anonymousreply 13March 2, 2021 10:17 PM

R7 - have you tried the ones that they have with the fresh salads? I find it kind of less salty. I also add a bit more lite shredded mozzarella and some green salsa. Right next to it I hear half an avocado and half a tomato drizzled with lemon and a bit of chili powder and salt. Heaven....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 2, 2021 10:23 PM

Im eating Seapak spring rolls right now. I always have their stuff in my freezer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 2, 2021 10:29 PM

Costco’s Italian sausage and beef lasagna.

by Anonymousreply 16March 2, 2021 10:29 PM

Simple one, but I like frozen peas & frozen chopped spinach. Good to have either or both on hand.

by Anonymousreply 17March 2, 2021 10:30 PM

Stouffer’s Bowl Fulls Blackened Chicken Alfredo.

I don’t buy a lot of frozen food but I was briefly addicted to this when there was rarely any meat, pasta or rice in the grocery store during the early days of covid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 2, 2021 10:31 PM

Does anyone remember Stouffer's Restaurants.. Always enjoyed their food that's the only frozen food that I buy.

by Anonymousreply 19March 2, 2021 10:35 PM

White Castle cheeseburgers. I have found over the years the best way to cook them as use the steam method. I know it’s a pain but it’s worth it. I also sauté some chopped up jalapeño and put it on there. Sometimes I add a tiny bit of barbecue sauce & bacon!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20March 2, 2021 10:38 PM

I used to like the original Gardenburgers. Then they shrunk down the size of the burgers. Then many other players entered the market. Now, impossible to find (however still in production).

by Anonymousreply 21March 2, 2021 10:43 PM

R19 as a kid I lived right by one on the east side of Detroit. It was attached to a mall called Eastland. I remember it had a red carpet leading to a fancy revolving door. I used to like to get caught in the door and go round and round. We would have to get dressed up to go there. It closed when I was about seven years old. I remember the food was good! Here’s an interesting article:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 2, 2021 10:54 PM

[quote]R9 Stouffers Mac & Cheese,

I ate that a lot in college because they sold it in the bodega by my house.

It was a proximity relationship, tho tinged with love.

by Anonymousreply 23March 2, 2021 11:31 PM

[quote]As a kid I used to love Banquet pot pies and Banquet fried chicken. As an adult I don’t like them.

Oh Honey there is no way today's chemical laden junk was the same food you ate as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 24March 2, 2021 11:35 PM

TJ's potstickers

Stouffer's mac and cheese

Jimmy Dean's sausage breakfast sandwich (croissant or biscuit)

I may only buy any of them once a year but they're enjoyable when I do.

by Anonymousreply 25March 2, 2021 11:42 PM

i like the Alexa spicy sweet potato fries

trader joe's orange chicken, tilapia filets also their pepperoni pizza mac and cheese

farmrich plant based bbq sliders. they are pretty new i put extra bbq sauce on them

by Anonymousreply 26March 2, 2021 11:42 PM

Michael Angelo's Eggplant Parmigiana.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27March 2, 2021 11:57 PM

I finally tried the Stouffer's mac & cheese and didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped I would.

by Anonymousreply 28March 3, 2021 12:22 AM

Oregon Farms Frozen Carrot Cake- it hasn't been available in 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 29March 3, 2021 12:31 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 3, 2021 12:31 AM

Totino's Pepperoni Pizza Rolls

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31March 3, 2021 12:32 AM

Trader Joe's Chile Verde burritos and FROZEN Mac & Cheese.

Stouffer's Mac & Cheese and Meat Lasagna

Sea-Pak butterflied shrimp.

I eat each of these maybe once a year, when I'm feeling sad or nostalgic and my family is out of town.

by Anonymousreply 32March 3, 2021 12:41 AM

That's so funny, R32, it is kind of "alone" food. A lot of it is trashy stuff we'd never bother with if there was anyone having dinner with us that day.

by Anonymousreply 33March 3, 2021 1:22 AM

That's because I spoiled the fuck outta you

SPOILED

you're never gonna find this level of greatness anywhere

"Stop making creme puffs" you said

Proof. You're insane

Ya happy now, freak?

by Anonymousreply 34March 3, 2021 1:23 AM

[quote] Im eating Seapak spring rolls right now. I always have their stuff in my freezer

These are so good

by Anonymousreply 35March 3, 2021 1:32 AM

Michael Angelo brand Eggplant Parmigiana.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 3, 2021 1:35 AM

R26- I just bought Trader Joe's Peperoni Mac and Cheese today. I've never had it. Is it good?

by Anonymousreply 37March 3, 2021 1:37 AM

basically French fries (restaurant style, krinkle cut, steak fries) any of them!

by Anonymousreply 38March 3, 2021 1:40 AM

Oh dear god YES on the Michael Angelo's eggplant parmesan.

Harder for me to find now that I live in the boondocks.

by Anonymousreply 39March 3, 2021 1:47 AM

Totino's Triple Cheese Pizza. But you have to broil it a bit to get the cheese dark and burnt.

by Anonymousreply 40March 3, 2021 1:51 AM

I used to love the Tombstone cheese pizza and also loved the Stouffer macaroni and cheese, too!

Now my favorite frozen food is lemon sorbet - so tart and refreshing!

by Anonymousreply 41March 3, 2021 1:55 AM

Kinda "old country" comfort food, but personally I find Stouffer's Stuffed Peppers better than any homemade recipe I've ever tried making, and just not worth the time. I make theirs and put one in a bowl of mashed potatoes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42March 3, 2021 1:57 AM

Stouffer’s stuffed peppers have been my favorite frozen food since I was a little kid. I haven’t had them for years. Tomorrow I head to the freezer section!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43March 3, 2021 1:58 AM

Honestly, anything Trader Joe’s. Egg rolls. The flat bread with ham and gruyere. Macaroni and cheese. Mochi ice cream. Even the Turkey corn dogs are decent and they only have 150 calories per corn dog.

by Anonymousreply 44March 3, 2021 1:58 AM

Sara Lee Cherry Cheesecake--wish I had a slice right now.

by Anonymousreply 45March 3, 2021 2:02 AM

Blake's macaroni cheese and chicken pies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46March 3, 2021 2:06 AM

Stoufer's Lasagna Italiano...Delicious! Heavy on the anise sausage.

by Anonymousreply 47March 3, 2021 2:23 AM

I love cheap Banquet pot pies. All crust and gravy, maybe one pea and carrot floating in the midst of it. A carb lovers delight.

by Anonymousreply 48March 3, 2021 2:32 AM

R37 yes, TJ's pepperoni pizza mac and cheese is very good. It's best when cooked in the oven, even though it takes a while.

by Anonymousreply 49March 3, 2021 2:34 AM

Ice cream, of course.

That other crap you people are talking about is disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 50March 3, 2021 2:35 AM

R49- I don't know if I have the patience to wait for it to bake in the oven because I'm a FAT WHORE and I want instant gratification.

by Anonymousreply 51March 3, 2021 2:36 AM

The same is true for any mac and cheese - needs to be the oven.

by Anonymousreply 52March 3, 2021 2:37 AM

La Choy egg rolls with that hot mustard packet. Do they still make those/

by Anonymousreply 53March 3, 2021 2:38 AM

Edwards Chocolate Crème Pie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54March 3, 2021 2:39 AM

Inquiring GAY minds want to know why they no longer say- Macaroni And Cheese now it's SOLEY Mac and Cheese.

by Anonymousreply 55March 3, 2021 2:43 AM

I'm with a lot of people here - Trader Joe's frozen food pretty much hits it out of the park; i've had probably only 1 or 2 things i didn't think were that good. Especially like their indian selections, burritos and potstickers.

A non-TJ thing i like is TGIFriday's cheeseburger sliders. they are pretty good.

And now that i've heard someone sing the praises of Stouffer's stuffed peppers, i will be trying those. I've been wanting to try them!

by Anonymousreply 56March 3, 2021 2:45 AM

It's "solely," R55.

by Anonymousreply 57March 3, 2021 2:46 AM

In the 1970's my FAVORITE frozen pizza was the full size round Ellios Pizza. My mother would buy it at the A&P. I remember seeing Tree Tavern pizza which my mother never bought. I always liked the packaging on that. Ellios was sold in 1988 ,so I'm sure it's crap now.

by Anonymousreply 58March 3, 2021 2:48 AM

Stouffer’s French Bread Pizza (cheese or pepperoni variety) was my favorite growing up, and in recent months I’ve returned to it. No regrets. Still as satisfying now as it was 25-30 years ago.

I also loved their frozen meat lasagne way back then, too, but I haven’t wanted to try that again for some reason. Too heavy?

by Anonymousreply 59March 3, 2021 2:53 AM

Omg, I LOVE pizza pockets. Can't even have them in the house because I will scarf those stupid things down. all of them.

by Anonymousreply 60March 3, 2021 2:57 AM

i remember liking Mama Celeste pizza in the 80's. As an adult it probably sucks, As a teen i liked the Red Barron mini deep dish pizzas. I think there were two in a box. The Stouffer's bell peppers are good. I haven't had them in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 61March 3, 2021 2:57 AM

I like most of the Amy's frozen entrees that I've tried. My favorite is Amy's Chili Mac bowl.

My favorite frozen food is Marie Calendars Dutch Apple pie. It's the best.

by Anonymousreply 62March 3, 2021 2:59 AM

Tony's pizza, the cheapest...almost, but the best. The sauce is a bit hot and the crust is not too thick or thin.

by Anonymousreply 63March 3, 2021 3:02 AM

R43 Since you haven't bought the Stuffed Peppers for years, as a suggestion, you might want to first check the Stouffer's website to see where that entree and size you want is still sold. I used to be able to find it just about everywhere in my metro area, but it's been discontinued at several stores now. Only one supermarket carries the large size now (2 peppers), and only one Walmart in the area is carrying the family size which is too big for me. Another is supposed to carry the single size, but it's always "out of stock."

by Anonymousreply 64March 3, 2021 3:07 AM

My local convenience store has some frozen entrees and the stuffed peppers are one of them. I guess i'm lucky :)

by Anonymousreply 65March 3, 2021 3:09 AM

You can seduce your man with the chicken tetrazzini.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66March 3, 2021 3:14 AM

Truffle Parmesan Mac n Cheese

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67March 3, 2021 3:32 AM

Any of the Amy's Indian dishes. Most of the Amy's brand frozen meals are top-notch, but the Indian ones they offer are shockingly good. I love their mattar tofu plate.

by Anonymousreply 68March 3, 2021 3:36 AM

Marie Callender's are the best, I can't stand those cheap ones anymore. The crust is good enough by itself, but use the oven not the microwave.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69March 3, 2021 3:48 AM

Clam Jumpers Coconut Cream Pie

by Anonymousreply 70March 3, 2021 3:49 AM

Anyone ever tried Beechers mac & cheese? Is it any good?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71March 3, 2021 3:52 AM

Chocolate ice cream and frozen daiquiris. I hate frozen meals. I'd rather have peanut butter on toast and an orange or scrambled eggs than some frozen "meal".

by Anonymousreply 72March 3, 2021 3:55 AM

R71 Yes. It's not bad, but it's overpriced and overrated.

by Anonymousreply 73March 3, 2021 4:05 AM

Stouffer’s Creamed Chipped Beef on toast—comfort food for me because it’s like my mom made from scratch when I was little.

by Anonymousreply 74March 3, 2021 4:11 AM

Screamin' Sicilian Boss Hog sausage pizza (to which I add mushrooms and onions).

Trader Joe's almond croissants and chocolate croissants. You let them defrost and rise overnight and then bake.

From the Asian market: Ajinomoto fried chicken kara age and Gourmet Family Berkshire pork & vegetable dumplings. Pretty much every Bibigo frozen dumpling I've tried is great.

Agree about Michael Angelo's eggplant parm. It is remarkably good for something inexpensive and frozen.

by Anonymousreply 75March 3, 2021 4:30 AM

Deep Indian dishes. The chicken tika is amazing as is the saag paneer. Excellent for when you're craving Indian but don't feel like ordering in.

The Stouffer's French Bread pizza's were what I stocked up on during the early days of the pandemic. They are pretty good and only 400 calories. Their small lasgana's are pretty good too. When you're single and don't feel up to cooking, these work with a salad and some Texas Toast garlic bread.

Hate the Marie Callendar's pot pies. Bought one and cooked it in the stove and it was terrible compared to what I remember. Barely edible. Their other frozen meals are ok.

by Anonymousreply 76March 3, 2021 4:42 AM

r75 forgot about the chocolate croissants from TJ's - they are really good. I didn't know they had almond flavor...but it's been 9+ months since i've been to TJ's, sadly.

by Anonymousreply 77March 3, 2021 4:46 AM

Amy’s cheese enchiladas, Trader Joe’s macaroni and cheese, or tater tots.

by Anonymousreply 78March 3, 2021 4:59 AM

Clams or Shrimp by Seapak

by Anonymousreply 79March 3, 2021 5:04 AM

Michael Angelo’s Lasagna (better than Stouffers)

DiGiorno Supreme self rising pizza

by Anonymousreply 80March 3, 2021 5:06 AM

How would you like a big TUREEN of it... like in this ad? I call it “A Fat Whore is Born”.

It would take 20 packages of Stouffer’s Mac & Cheesse to fill that! (Or the photo’s perspective is all wrong.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81March 3, 2021 5:15 AM

[quote] Any of the Amy's Indian dishes. Most of the Amy's brand frozen meals are top-notch, but the Indian ones they offer are shockingly good. I love their mattar tofu plate.

Maybe I need to try these.

by Anonymousreply 82March 3, 2021 5:18 AM

Amy's are good...in fact, i live a couple of miles down the 101 from her drive-in restaurant and this is where "Amy" was actually born and grew up.

All the entrees are either vegan or vegetarian and there are some dairy-free options as well. I've liked most of what i've had of her meals. The chili mac fries at the drive in are delicious!

by Anonymousreply 83March 3, 2021 5:29 AM

I like the Amy's spinach pizza. Costco stopped selling those.

However, the Amy's lasagna (I think it was the spinach lasagna) was not that great. Noodles were like cardboard.

by Anonymousreply 84March 3, 2021 5:38 AM

R31 I haven't had them in quite a while, but those are a favorite of mine, too. And I love those cheap Patio Beef & Bean, and Beef & Cheese burritos. But I'm not eating those things now, because I'm trying to get off blood pressure medication.

by Anonymousreply 85March 3, 2021 5:44 AM

I know they are trash food but I love those frozen Tina burritos, they are 50 cents, the other day they were on sale for 39 cents. I pour some taco sauce on them and melt cheese on them and they are so good and ready in 3 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 86March 3, 2021 5:53 AM

March is National Frozen Food Month.

by Anonymousreply 87March 3, 2021 5:59 AM

r86 i thought i was the only one. i love those too!

by Anonymousreply 88March 3, 2021 6:02 AM

Bell & Evans Chicken Tenders

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89March 3, 2021 6:08 AM

Newman's Own Four Cheese Pizza

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90March 3, 2021 6:13 AM

Ice cream.

by Anonymousreply 91March 3, 2021 7:58 AM

Stouffers vegetable lasagna and their deluxe French bread pizzas.

Also spanakopita.

by Anonymousreply 92March 3, 2021 11:50 AM

Amy's Thai Green Curry. Never gets old. Back when we still worked in the office and heated up our lunches in the microwave people would say how good it smelled and asked me what it was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93March 3, 2021 12:06 PM

Tombstone Pizza - specifically pepperoni. It takes me back to being a teenager, living in a small town that didn’t have a pizza place, and thinking that Tombstone was just like real pizza. Even now, I will occasionally have one, just for the memory trip.

by Anonymousreply 94March 3, 2021 12:09 PM

I love the "mouth feel" of Stouffer's mac and cheese, if not the actual taste of the cheese in it. To replicate that creamy consistency in home-made mac and cheese you need to use about 3 times the whole milk that most recipes call for.

by Anonymousreply 95March 3, 2021 12:44 PM

R94 I'm old enough to remember when Tombstone Pizza was 'bar food' - you couldn't buy it stores. Every bar in northern Wisconsin offered it. OMG, Tombstone pizza and a couple of icy-cold Miller beers...heaven.

by Anonymousreply 96March 3, 2021 3:21 PM

FarmRich mozzarella sticks.

by Anonymousreply 97March 3, 2021 4:56 PM

Stouffers spinach souffle!

by Anonymousreply 98March 3, 2021 5:24 PM

Ice cream is a separate category. We're not comparing frozen casseroles and pot pies to your favorite Ben and Jerry's flavor. That's a whole other thread.

by Anonymousreply 99March 3, 2021 5:25 PM

That really needed to be said, R99.

by Anonymousreply 100March 3, 2021 5:28 PM

Amy’s is great but pricey.

by Anonymousreply 101March 3, 2021 6:58 PM

Apparently, I'm in the minority, as I find Amy's above average and pricey. I only buy it at Tarjay where it's usually about a dollar cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 102March 3, 2021 7:11 PM

Quality costs $ R101!

by Anonymousreply 103March 3, 2021 7:16 PM

Amy's pizzas are good. They had a bbq tofu one but i can't find it anymore

by Anonymousreply 104March 3, 2021 7:22 PM

R103 I just don't think they're worth what they cost in regular supermarkets. They're good, but not that good.

by Anonymousreply 105March 3, 2021 7:31 PM

What a shock..to see Stouffers entrees in the freezer of a Dollar General Store. . Now you may ask what was I doing in a Dollar General Store, I was following someone that looked interesting.

by Anonymousreply 106March 3, 2021 7:32 PM

I was obsessed with Stouffers chicken pot pies, but they shrunk them in size and now they're almost like appetizers. They might be big enough for a little old lady, but I need a man-sized pot pie.

by Anonymousreply 107March 3, 2021 7:44 PM

Sukhi's Chicken Tikka Masala I get it at Costco's. Delish.

by Anonymousreply 108March 3, 2021 7:50 PM

R107 Maybe your market only carries the 10oz. size?? .. Stouffer's also makes a "large" 16oz. size. That's a 1 lb. pot pie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109March 3, 2021 7:51 PM

Marie Callender Chicken Pot Pie.

by Anonymousreply 110March 3, 2021 7:56 PM

Since we're talking about Amy's, wanted to mention "Tasty Bite." It sounds like a dog treat, but it's not. It's shelf-stable (not frozen) bagged food. Nice to have on hand for emergencies, esp. now during the pandemic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111March 3, 2021 7:58 PM

Any recommendations of frozen entrees for low carb dieters? Tired of home cooking and want something that’s easy to pop in the microwave from time to time.

by Anonymousreply 112March 3, 2021 8:04 PM

R112 The Healthy Choice cafe steamers are pretty good. I hate Lean Cuisines now, all their entrees taste the same. WW used to be good. I tried the lasagna and it was good but left a bad smell in the microwave.

by Anonymousreply 113March 3, 2021 8:24 PM

Once I started making Indian food at home, I never bought it at the store again. Just make a big pot of tikka masala or biriyani and freeze up whatever you don't eat.

On the recommendations of YOU, dear dataloungers, I have purchased the Michael Whatsit's frozen eggplant parm because it's a bitch and a half to make. I will report back on my findings.

I also picked up some ice cream, I agree it belongs in a separate category.

by Anonymousreply 114March 3, 2021 8:31 PM

Trust me, I am not a healthy eater at all but I love the frozen Brussels sprouts that cook in the microwave, the bag expanding like Jiffy Pop. Doused in butter, of course.

by Anonymousreply 115March 3, 2021 8:34 PM

R115 Have you tried the frozen Brussels sprouts with bacon and butter? Yummo!

by Anonymousreply 116March 3, 2021 8:48 PM

No but you've got me ready to do a Dukes of Hazzard and race over to Publix to find them, thanks!

by Anonymousreply 117March 3, 2021 8:50 PM

I haven't eaten this kind of food since before most of you were born, but the thread piqued my interest, so I bought three Stouffer's items at the store today: stuffed peppers, macaroni and cheese, and meat loaf and mashed potatoes. I'm going to eat the first two together, at one or two meals, then have the meat loaf/mashed potato dinner separately.

It was the stuffed peppers description upthread that made me want to try it. I hope I like it.

by Anonymousreply 118March 3, 2021 9:19 PM

R42 good thing Simply Potatoes makes really good mashed potatoes. All you need to do is press a few buttons on your microwave and you have dinner!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119March 3, 2021 9:23 PM

Stouffer's Turkey Tetrazzini. But haven't seen it in stores for a couple of years.

by Anonymousreply 120March 3, 2021 9:34 PM

R118 Report back on the stuffed peppers, please. I love them especially with mashed potatoes just like R42.

by Anonymousreply 121March 3, 2021 9:34 PM

I loved La Choy egg rolls as a kid. College-me loved Totino's pizza doctored up with onions, black olives, and canned mushrooms. I still do this sometimes to a frozen California Kitchen pizza.

I miss Stouffer's Noodles Romanoff and a chicken crepe dinner that was just delicious. Their Chicken with Noodles dinner is drek.

by Anonymousreply 122March 3, 2021 9:37 PM

Edwards Key Lime Pie

Stouffers has the best pot pie, Hungry Man pot pies were good too.

All those different Swanson TV dinners, even German style, from when I was a kid. And all those five portion ones with soup. TV dinners were a treat when I was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 123March 3, 2021 10:10 PM

R120 They still make it. Maybe check "Where to Buy" for your zip code.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124March 3, 2021 10:29 PM

Swanson Turkey Dinner in those aluminum trays! Anyone remember the Le Menu Yankee Pot Roast? The best!

by Anonymousreply 125March 3, 2021 10:31 PM

[quote] I need a man-sized pot pie.

Costco deli often makes up giant chicken pot pies using their rotisserie chicken that you take home and bake in your oven. Enough to feed a family and delicious like home-made.

by Anonymousreply 126March 3, 2021 10:35 PM

R121, the Stouffer's Stuffed Peppers get a C-. The peppers themselves were watery and the whole dish needed salt. I had them with Macaroni and Cheese, and that was another C-. It didn't taste horrible, but the pasta was beyond overcooked.

My frozen food selections will be limited to Haagen-Dazs and Ben & Jerry's, just as they were prior to today.

by Anonymousreply 127March 3, 2021 10:39 PM

Stouffers Swedish meatballs and DiGiorno pepperoni pizza.

by Anonymousreply 128March 3, 2021 10:59 PM

[quote] I had them with Macaroni and Cheese, and that was another C-.

That was my impression as well.

by Anonymousreply 129March 3, 2021 11:22 PM

Dirt

by Anonymousreply 130March 3, 2021 11:28 PM

Trader Joe’s vegan Mandarin Chicken

by Anonymousreply 131March 3, 2021 11:32 PM

I recently had Skor ice cream for the first time. Best ice cream I've ever had. Perfect combo of chocolate slivers and caramel. It's dangerous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132March 3, 2021 11:37 PM

On another thread someone told me about a different way to make frozen pot stickers (dumplings). The poster told me they baked them in the oven at 400 degrees until they were crisp and puffed up. I tried them that way and they are really good. They turn out, almost like you fried them

by Anonymousreply 133March 3, 2021 11:40 PM

Celentano has been my go-to eggplant parm, but I’ll try the other.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134March 3, 2021 11:56 PM

Frozen Chicken Strips (with powdered cream gravy, natch). But the key is don't get a name brand. I have to go out of my way to a Kroger to get their store brand, but they really are the best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135March 4, 2021 12:33 AM

[quote]Costco deli often makes up giant chicken pot pies using their rotisserie chicken that you take home and bake in your oven. Enough to feed a family and delicious like home-made.

A couple of years ago, I bought a chicken pot pie from Costco that was the size of a large pizza. I did have to bake it, but afterwards, I cut it up and put most in the freezer, and ate it throughout the next few months. It was wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 136March 4, 2021 12:34 AM

I used to live right by the Stouffer's factory in Solon, OH. They have a small outlet store there where you can get their products dirt cheap. I would get stuff like an entire case of frozen flatbread pizzas for like $8.00.

by Anonymousreply 137March 4, 2021 12:49 AM

Michael Angelo's Chicken Piccata Dinner Starter Kit, delicious, serve over your own pasta.

All the Michael Angelo meals really.

Devour Buffalo Chicken Mac & Cheese if you like strong blue cheese flavor, also their White Cheddar Mac & Cheese with Bacon

Stouffers Welsh Rarebit if you can find it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138March 4, 2021 1:17 AM

Lean Cuisine meatloaf with mashed potatoes is really good. It does not taste like "diet" food.

by Anonymousreply 139March 4, 2021 1:27 AM

About two hours after eating the Stouffer's Stuffed Peppers, I have a headache.

In addition to peppers, tomato, ground beef, and rice, the Stouffer's Stuffed Peppers also contain textured soy flour, whey protein concentrate, autolyzed yeast extract, dried soy sauce (something I generally avoid), caramel color, calcium chloride, gum arabic, lactic acid, sodium phosphates.

The macaroni and cheese, besides macaroni and cheese, contains margarine, vegetable mono and diglycerides, vitamin a palmitate, xanthan gum, yeast extract, lactic acid, and potassium chloride.

Not gonna eat the meatloaf dinner, more than likely.

by Anonymousreply 140March 4, 2021 1:36 AM

R137 were they selling the food that dropped on the factory floor less than five seconds?

by Anonymousreply 141March 4, 2021 1:38 AM

Believe it or not- Lean Cuisine Tuna Noodle Casserole. I can't find it any longer. I also loved Banquet Fried chicken and Banquet Chicken/Turkey pot pies when i was a kid..

by Anonymousreply 142March 4, 2021 1:58 AM

R1 what’s banquet fried chicken like now? What do you like about it?

by Anonymousreply 143March 4, 2021 2:12 AM

I get this one a couple of times a year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144March 4, 2021 2:16 AM

r143, it's mostly extremely greasy, really crunchy batter with the occasional maybe bit of chicken. It's disgusting. I love it.

by Anonymousreply 145March 4, 2021 2:38 AM

Read OP again, dyslexics. It says "it can be sweet or savory." Ice cream is acceptable on this thread

by Anonymousreply 146March 4, 2021 4:29 AM

Well, tell us about some good ice cream, then, R146.

by Anonymousreply 147March 4, 2021 4:57 AM

I really like trader joes stuff. Their chicken gyoze and chicken tik masala. Their tamales. Samosas.

by Anonymousreply 148March 4, 2021 5:49 AM

R144 how is the chicken in that TV dinner? Is it decent? I like spicy!

by Anonymousreply 149March 4, 2021 5:51 AM

R145 sounds interesting, enticing, and horrible for you. Maybe I’ll give it a try!

by Anonymousreply 150March 4, 2021 5:52 AM

I'm not really a frozen foods person but have been buying them a lot over the course of this pandemic. I did so especially in the beginning when we were all sheltering in place and barely leaving our homes. Because I didn't want to have to leave my apartment for anything, including the grocery store, I'd stock up on everything I could find to keep from going out and frozen dinners really came in handy.

by Anonymousreply 151March 4, 2021 6:27 AM

I have loved these since childhood for Advent and Lent.

Nobody carries them anymore...

😢😢😭

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152March 4, 2021 7:06 AM

[quote] Any recommendations of frozen entrees for low carb dieters? Tired of home cooking and want something that’s easy to pop in the microwave from time to time.

Real Good has low carb pizza with the crust made out of fried chicken cutlets.

by Anonymousreply 153March 4, 2021 8:29 AM

When I was a kid I loved this. I've not had it in years, I've not even see it at the stores.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154March 4, 2021 10:08 AM

Ice Cream posters = ASPIE

by Anonymousreply 155March 4, 2021 10:38 AM

When I was a kid in the 80s, Stouffers French Bread Pizzas were the epitome of latch key kid love. I don’t eat many frozen entrees, but the best I’ve had recently is the gruyere and ham tart/pastry from Trader Joe’s, wow!

by Anonymousreply 156March 4, 2021 11:17 AM

I just love my St. Paul Pork Products!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157March 4, 2021 11:21 AM

da fuq is that^^^

by Anonymousreply 158March 4, 2021 11:24 AM

I don't do frozen prepared foods much. I do have frozen shrimp on hand. I thaw them and either bread them in panko crumbs or stir fry them in Thai curry or other stir fries. I also sometimes have fries, usually shoestring as I like them crisp.

by Anonymousreply 159March 4, 2021 11:24 AM

Tai Pei Pork Potstickers. You get around 30 per bag, so it lasts a long time, and all you have to do is put them in a pan, add a cup of water, cover and let it steam for 10 min. They even give you two large soy sauce/vinegar/sesame oil sauce packets.

For dessert I like Patti LaBelle's Bread Pudding.

by Anonymousreply 160March 4, 2021 11:43 AM

Pity my wretched soul...I keep these little pies in my freezer for carb day. The steak & ale pie with a Guinness is very good. Also their chicken mushroom pie is very nice. These are small, and cook up beautifully in a toaster oven. Good service, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161March 4, 2021 11:51 AM

I love this thread and can't wait to hear if r114 and r134 enjoy the Michael Angelo's eggplant parm.

by Anonymousreply 162March 4, 2021 12:01 PM

Jamaican Beef Patties

by Anonymousreply 163March 4, 2021 12:13 PM

If you want to go high end, Mackenzie has good quality everything, from entrees to desserts. I got their spring catalog yesterday.

What I do with them is order enough entree, sides and dessert for 10 and put it in the freezer. When I have people over for dinner and don’t want to cook, defrost and heat.

With Covid this year I had to eat the stuff myself!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164March 4, 2021 12:31 PM

Pure trash but I love 7 Eleven spicy beef and bean burritos. I cook them in my air fryer so the tortilla gets crispy, almost like it was fried. They're not too large so they're a perfect size for lunch.

by Anonymousreply 165March 4, 2021 12:56 PM

R164 Snazzy I saw that catalog and it looks amazing. Are the portions tiny? I’ve been tempted to send for some of their treats but wondered if the product in real life was meager or skimpy.

I would probably do some kitchen forensics and lean to replicate some of these items, for fun.

by Anonymousreply 166March 4, 2021 1:22 PM

Learn, not lean

by Anonymousreply 167March 4, 2021 1:23 PM

R166, the portions are fine. A couple years ago we had a family reunion at our house for thanksgiving. People were flying in from different places and we were all busy and just wanted to catch up so we got all the stuff there. It was all excellent and there was plenty of everything . The only things that you can slightly tell aren’t fresh are the vegetables. I don’t buy frozen vegetables at the grocery store and wouldn’t order them again from Mackenzie. Everything else tasted great and looked special.

by Anonymousreply 168March 4, 2021 1:44 PM

I used to eat the Stouffers French bread pizzas but tried Red Baron French bread pizzas one day when they were on sale and now prefer them over the Stouffers.

by Anonymousreply 169March 4, 2021 2:33 PM

I came here straight from the How You Lost Those Extra Pounds thread.

It's like being able to breathe pure oxygen again.

by Anonymousreply 170March 4, 2021 2:43 PM

I lived in a converted garage apartment with one sink, which was in the bathroom. For cooking, had a toaster oven and a one-burner hot plate. Made Mrs. Paul's fish sticks in that toaster oven. Haven't had them for a long time, though. Got to liking fish sticks from Catholic school. Still like Filet O Fish from McD's.

by Anonymousreply 171March 4, 2021 4:23 PM

R147, Talenti ice cream has only 6 or 7 ingredients and is great. The dark chocolate ice cream and raspberry sherbet so great together. It's like eating fine chocoates with raspberry centers.

by Anonymousreply 172March 4, 2021 10:02 PM

Stouffers so good. I ate a lot of that in college.

Stouffers and Marie Callender have the best frozen pot pie.

by Anonymousreply 173March 4, 2021 10:37 PM

R171 Filet O’ Fish is delicious. I only eat them when I’m on the road driving a long distance. They remind me of being a kid and getting one after baseball practice. They are very soft and savory and taste a little like a fish dumpling. So good. I hope they always sell them.

by Anonymousreply 174March 4, 2021 10:48 PM

One of the joys of becoming an adult was buying these ON MY OWN and not having to share!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175March 4, 2021 11:29 PM

(It's Lent, darlings. McD filets-o-fish are on sale every Friday until Easter!)

by Anonymousreply 176March 5, 2021 12:32 AM

The Jack fish sandwich is a bit better.

by Anonymousreply 177March 5, 2021 12:33 AM

r177 do you mean the Jack in the Box fish sandwich?

by Anonymousreply 178March 5, 2021 2:12 AM

Banquet was the sub-Swanson brand even when I was a kid. Obvious dreck.

by Anonymousreply 179March 5, 2021 2:22 AM

in honor of this thread and the fat bitches posting in it, I made chicken wings (flash frozen) and French fries for dinner

by Anonymousreply 180March 5, 2021 2:25 AM

r178, yes.

r177

by Anonymousreply 181March 5, 2021 2:51 AM

Oh, dear unenlightened R158, who has yet to live... It's a clip from this masterpiece of cinema. This should be required viewing for all gay men.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182March 5, 2021 3:03 AM

r177 & r178 i googled jack in the box fish sandwich and apparently last year in honor of lent they had a SUPREME fish sandwich with 2 fish patties. Not sure if it's back this year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183March 5, 2021 3:04 AM

Guys, try Carla Lalli Music's "filet o fish" one time and you'll never go back (unless you're trapped on the road and have to).

She also does a tofu version for vegetablarians.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184March 5, 2021 3:06 AM

Stouffer's Cheddar Potato Bake.

by Anonymousreply 185March 5, 2021 3:40 AM

r185 that sounds good.

by Anonymousreply 186March 5, 2021 3:43 AM

I’m hungry.

by Anonymousreply 187March 5, 2021 4:49 AM

[quote]—I wish you hall monitors would butt out of fun threads

My guess is that some of them have butts that are too big to get out the door so they physically CAN'T butt out.

by Anonymousreply 188March 6, 2021 4:02 AM

r184 we're not cooking. it's end of days. we can't even be assed to take our damn garbage out.

by Anonymousreply 189March 6, 2021 4:22 AM

Marie Calendar’s Chicken Pot Pies

by Anonymousreply 190March 6, 2021 4:44 AM

Tabatchnick frozen soup. Split pea is my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 191March 6, 2021 6:38 AM

Sometimes I like to go old school and microwave some pizza rolls and dip them in ranch. I like the Totinos Supreme pizza rolls the best.

by Anonymousreply 192March 9, 2021 10:14 PM

Stouffer’s and Banquet seem so low end. I always go for the high end classy stuff like Marie Calendar’s, Boston Market, or Clam Jumpers.

by Anonymousreply 193March 9, 2021 11:02 PM

R193- Banquet is LOW end

Stouffer's is upper middle brow.

by Anonymousreply 194March 9, 2021 11:05 PM

Michelina's is the worst!

by Anonymousreply 195March 9, 2021 11:09 PM

Just about any Trader Joe's Indian entrees.

by Anonymousreply 196March 9, 2021 11:14 PM

I just tried Amy's Red Enchiladas. Really good. I don't love all Amy's entrees, but this was delicious!!!

by Anonymousreply 197March 9, 2021 11:16 PM

What happened to the tv dinners of yore? As a kid I loved the sliced roast beef in some kind of tantalizing sauce, with mac n cheese and apple cobbler. Probably peas and carrots, too, but I didn't pay attention as much to those.

by Anonymousreply 198March 9, 2021 11:23 PM

I don’t think there are any high end frozen foods. I thought they all cater to the middle class & below.

by Anonymousreply 199March 9, 2021 11:34 PM

Ice cream!!!!

by Anonymousreply 200March 9, 2021 11:44 PM

This is a great copycat recipe of Stouffer's Turkey Tetrazzini

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201March 10, 2021 1:20 AM

^^ That recipe looks like an awful lot of work to replicate something I can find in the supermarket freezer section. ^^

by Anonymousreply 202March 10, 2021 2:35 AM

R198 As I recall Swanson got broken up and the broth business went to Campbell's, and a company called Pinnacle Foods got the frozen food line. I believe Pinnacle still makes the pot pies, but at some point the frozen dinners with the "Hungry Man" label went to Conagra. They apparently still have this line, but I've never really noticed it where I shop, except maybe the "Classic Chicken" and the "Mexican Fiesta" dinners. I'm surprised there are so many.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203March 10, 2021 5:23 AM

Speaking of frozen food, I read this review of Girl Scout cookies the other day and they got two ratings, one as is and one when eaten after being frozen in the freezer, Is this a new thing, are people storing their cookies in the freezer now and eating them frozen?

by Anonymousreply 204March 10, 2021 5:32 AM

I don’t think it’s a new thing. A lot of people store their thin mints cookies in the freezer and then eat them frozen.

by Anonymousreply 205March 10, 2021 5:34 AM

Frozen thin mints has been a thing for DECADES. And it's a thing I stopped doing so I don't turn into a beached whale.

by Anonymousreply 206March 10, 2021 5:43 AM

When I’m really hung over I like to vomit into my freezer. Then I just keep it there until the next time I’m feeling peckish.

by Anonymousreply 207March 10, 2021 6:07 AM

I bought some Amy's frozen broccoli bowls and chili mac bowls because of this thread!

by Anonymousreply 208March 10, 2021 8:07 PM

Did anyone get visits from the Swan's Man when they were kids?

My mom used to but their frozen foods.

by Anonymousreply 209March 10, 2021 8:56 PM

>buy

by Anonymousreply 210March 10, 2021 8:57 PM

R209 I'm guessing you mean Schwan's?

They're still around. (See link.) About ten years ago, the people across the street from me were still getting deliveries, sometime more than once a month. Then, another neighbor who saw this, began getting something delivered from them too. Trays of lasagna, I think. Both of them have since moved, so I don't see the truck any longer. I remember it used to make a lot of noise when it showed up...lol. Refrigeration, I'd guess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211March 10, 2021 9:21 PM

I got visited by the Schwanz man.

by Anonymousreply 212March 10, 2021 9:42 PM

I am HERE for Amy's....her Indian dishes kept me alive during the worst of the pandemic....and that Green Thai Curry--I'm addicted.

by Anonymousreply 213March 10, 2021 10:01 PM

I bought Stouffer's French Bread pizza the other day

These Benihana dinners are pretty good

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214March 11, 2021 3:25 AM

I sometimes will eat Lean Cuisines. If I get really hungry I know I have something somewhat low calorie I can microwave and have ready fast.

by Anonymousreply 215March 11, 2021 6:58 PM

I had Stouffer's Meat Loaf and Mashed Potatoes today. It was the last of 3 of these I bought for $10 a couple of weeks ago. It was not quite as bad as the stuffed peppers, but I have no intention of ever buying this crap again.

I did have a new Ben & Jerry's Topped flavor, Tiramisu. It was frozen, and wonderful. Ice cream will continue to be the only thing I use my freezer for.

by Anonymousreply 216March 11, 2021 7:15 PM

r214, those Benihana meals are VILE. I used to go to Benihana's about once a year and I loved the yakisoba. I purchased that item you posted and was excited to try it. It was inedible. I tossed it out after two bites.

by Anonymousreply 217March 11, 2021 8:05 PM

r216, I use my freezer for breads (I only make toast so keeping it in the freezer means I don't have to go to the store as often), left overs, (I order pizzas from my favorite pizza joint. I freeze most of it to eat later. Heats back up nicely in my convection oven), when I make food in my crock pot like chili I will freeze it in individual portions and have it for the next few months, etc. You learn through poverty that the freezer is often your best friend.

by Anonymousreply 218March 11, 2021 8:08 PM

Never been much of a Lean Cuisine fan, but one I used to REALLY like was their Stuffed Cabbage Rolls. . And of course, they had to stop making that one.. lol. I believe Trader Joe's used to make a frozen version as well, but it wasn't nearly as good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219March 11, 2021 11:09 PM

Stouffer's Mac & Beef. My less than sophisticated palate balks at the sherry in Stouffer's Turkey Tetrazzini. Safeway Select Chicken Poblano frozen entree is remarkably good.

by Anonymousreply 220March 12, 2021 4:39 AM

^^^ Isn’t Mac and Beef the same thing as Hamburger Helper?

by Anonymousreply 221March 12, 2021 8:25 AM

Yeah, pretty much. Actually might be closer to Chef Boyardee Beefaroni.

by Anonymousreply 222March 14, 2021 7:07 AM

I'm a frozen food shipper, a frozen food believer, if you will, and I have several favorites:

TGIFriday's spinach dip is suspiciously good

Sea Cuisine salmon, kind of pricey but all their salmon flavors have been great

Tyson southern style breaded chicken, heavy breading but a lot of meat in the pieces and better than nuggets

Stouffer's Welsh rarebit, which I haven't seen in years

Fast Fixin' brand chicken fried chicken, less breaded than you'd expect but still trashy fried goodness

by Anonymousreply 223March 17, 2021 4:46 PM

[quote] I use my freezer for breads (I only make toast so keeping it in the freezer means I don't have to go to the store as often), left overs, (I order pizzas from my favorite pizza joint. I freeze most of it to eat later. Heats back up nicely in my convection oven), when I make food in my crock pot like chili I will freeze it in individual portions and have it for the next few months, etc. You learn through poverty that the freezer is often your best friend.

Eww, why would you want to eat the same thing twice?

by Anonymousreply 224March 17, 2021 5:31 PM

I surely hope you are joking, r224. Because if not, I would guess you've never struggled with money.

by Anonymousreply 225March 17, 2021 9:36 PM

Mom didn't cook, so we grew up on these. Funny thing is 40 years later they're a guilty pleasure!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226March 17, 2021 11:31 PM

R218 shopping and cooking for one person is hard! I hate wasting food so I end up freezing a lot. Do you have any tips or tricks to freeze sliced bread? I will eat maybe four pieces of bread in a week and then the bread goes bad.

I just had a piece of frozen pizza that had been in my freezer for like four months the other day. If you’re careful with how you reheat frozen things it still will taste pretty good!

by Anonymousreply 227March 21, 2021 8:43 AM

Claim Jumper Cherry Pie

by Anonymousreply 228March 21, 2021 11:01 AM

I kind of miss Banquet "boil in bag" meals, just for old times sake. My mom refused to allow a microwave in our house until the early 90's because she was convinced we would all get radiation poisoning from it. These did cook more evenly than a microwave.

I also kind of miss when TV dinners came in foil trays and you had to bake them instead of microwave them. Last I was aware of, Stouffers does still make some of their frozen meals in foil trays, but they're really large sheet pan style sizes - things like their stuffed peppers, that obviously wouldn't fit in a microwave. I've seen them at their factory outlet store, but never in any of the grocery stores near me. Not sure who they sell these to, perhaps for cafeterias?

by Anonymousreply 229March 21, 2021 12:57 PM

I never buy frozen french fries. I always remembered them being kind of blah. On a whim last week I bought a package of these. OMG! SO GOOD!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230March 21, 2021 5:08 PM

[quote]Do you have any tips or tricks to freeze sliced bread?

Yes, R227. Seal the bag with a twist tie and put it in the freezer. That's all you have to do. You'll still be able to separate the slices, and they thaw very quickly at room temperature. Or just put a couple of frozen slices in a toaster, if you were planning on making toast.

by Anonymousreply 231March 21, 2021 6:04 PM

Thank you R231!

by Anonymousreply 232March 21, 2021 10:30 PM

peas

by Anonymousreply 233March 21, 2021 10:37 PM

Anything from amy's brand including their enchiladas, mexican food. Stouffer's mac and cheese

by Anonymousreply 234March 21, 2021 10:55 PM

R81, You know what's weird in that picture? The man's purported hand holding the fork belongs to someone else!

by Anonymousreply 235March 22, 2021 2:13 AM

[quote]The man's purported hand holding the fork belongs to someone else!

To a hand model, of course, who was probably thinking, "For this I went to Juilliard?"

by Anonymousreply 236March 22, 2021 3:02 AM

I like the Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches. I usually eat one for supper though since I am not a breakfast eater.

I love the Bob Evans sausage breakfast burritos. Can't find them anywhere local any more. I did one of those store finder things and it said they had it at Walmart, I don't shop there but went there just to look for them and they did not have them. Boo.

by Anonymousreply 237March 22, 2021 3:14 AM

Stouffers mac and cheese, swedish meatballs, french bread pizza and Marie Callender pot pies.

by Anonymousreply 238March 22, 2021 3:37 AM

About once a year I buy a box of frozen Banquet fried chicken. It hits the spot!

by Anonymousreply 239March 22, 2021 4:07 AM

I used to love stouffer’s French bread pizza back in the ‘80s, but tried it recently & it’s not the same. Pepperidge farm turnovers, yum. And pillsbury toaster strudel, my fave.

by Anonymousreply 240March 22, 2021 4:15 AM

Matlaws stuffed clams

by Anonymousreply 241March 22, 2021 4:50 AM

I don't know that these are my favorite, but they are yummy.

And don't forget the Michael Angelo's Shrimp Scampi!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242March 22, 2021 3:00 PM

Supermarkets used to have a small, open chest freezer with frozen, waffley, oval "cube steaks" with a pat of butter in the middle. The waffled surface was to tenderize a cheapo cut of beef. They were easy to pan fry for dinner. But I haven’t seen them in recent years at all. Has anyone seen these in their markets recently? If so, what state are you in?

by Anonymousreply 243March 24, 2021 8:56 PM

There seems to be a cheap meat and seafood uprights in many places. They are in the corner/on the side away from the "regular" stuff.

by Anonymousreply 244March 24, 2021 9:01 PM

30 year veggie

by Anonymousreply 245March 24, 2021 9:02 PM

r240 I found that the Red Baron french bread pizzas taste better than Stouffers. Towards the end of cooking I add some mozzarella cheese on top to make it extra cheesy.

by Anonymousreply 246March 24, 2021 9:12 PM

Pepperidge Farm used to make a croissant-crust frozen pizza. It came two to a box, similar to the various French bread type frozen pizzas you see all over the place nowadays, but with a flaky croissant-like crust. They were out of this world. Sometimes I would start out saying I was going to eat just one of them, but I always wound up eating both. (I was young back then and could get away with it.) They stopped making them, and I miss them, even though they were super high calorie, and I probably wouldn't eat them today. Plus, I think they only had pepperoni, and I don't eat beef or pork products anymore.

Trader Joe's had a ratatouille that was super delicious. Haven't seen it there in many years. They seem to have done away with their frozen teryaki chicken, which I also loved and I thought was one of their staples that would never go away.

by Anonymousreply 247March 24, 2021 9:27 PM

R143 Maybe newish labelling requirements explain the disappearance of tenderized steak.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248March 24, 2021 10:13 PM

365 Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets from Whole Foods- they are really good. Also Southern chicken breast tenderloins from Tyson.

Stouffer's Cream Chipped Beef (yes, I know this is trashy but I love it) and Mac and Cheese, Turkey Tetrazzini. Used to love their Noodles Romanoff too before they discontinued it.

Morningstar Farms Grillers vegetarian patties, Chickenless Nuggets, or Spicy Chickenless wings, and Jennie-O frozen turkey patties

Trader Joe's Orange Chicken, Kung Pao Chicken and frozen quiches.

by Anonymousreply 249March 24, 2021 10:20 PM

R243 do you mean Camp's frozen buttered steaks? God I miss those. I think the Camp's company which was in Culver City, CA went out of business.

by Anonymousreply 250March 24, 2021 10:23 PM

So cube steaks are the victim of modern meat-processing methods that can no longer ensure that the meat is not contaminated with cow poop (E. Coli). 💩

by Anonymousreply 251March 24, 2021 10:33 PM

Stouffers spaghetti is lit yo

by Anonymousreply 252March 24, 2021 10:36 PM

R248, cube steaks are still widely available in my area, but they're sold fresh - not frozen. My dad buys these on occasion, but they are still tough and chewy as shit when cooked. My jaw is sore trying eat one of them.

by Anonymousreply 253March 24, 2021 10:44 PM

I sometimes like a Totino's combination party pizza, I love that crispy crust but don't want to think what the meat is on it.

by Anonymousreply 254March 24, 2021 11:02 PM

Found a new favorite frozen pizza! I don’t usually like frozen pizza but this one is really good. It has a cornmeal crust. It’s called Vicolo pizza and I believe it’s only sold in the western states. But you can also order them online.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255April 8, 2021 9:42 PM

As a kid I loved some of the Swanson frozen dinners like Fried Chicken, Mexican and Steak. Chicken pot pies were alright as well thanks to the broth. But that brand has faded away and I understand suffered a big decline in quality. Though I suspect even then it wasn't that great unless you had a child's taste buds.

by Anonymousreply 256April 9, 2021 1:14 AM

After reading this thread I realize why Muricans are so fat. Over here where I live you can find maybe 10% of the stuff listed above in the supermarkets. I'd be fat as fuck too if I had access to all these yummy, frozen, vein-clogging delicacies.

by Anonymousreply 257April 9, 2021 1:31 AM

R257 True but I think they’re OK in moderation. Maybe one or two a month. I usually cook fresh food and only use frozen convenience foods when I have no time or energy.

by Anonymousreply 258April 9, 2021 2:34 AM

DiGiorno self rising crust Supreme pizza

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259April 9, 2021 2:56 AM

Cantonese joong.

by Anonymousreply 260April 9, 2021 2:29 PM

Just had the DiGiornos rising crust Supreme and it was good. Sometimes on the weekend I don't want to see anybody so I would rather just heat up a frozen pizza. Plus delivery has got expensive and then you have to give a decent tip. I buy the DiGiornos when they are on sale.

by Anonymousreply 261April 11, 2021 11:00 PM

I have never heard of frozen buttered steaks.

by Anonymousreply 262April 12, 2021 12:22 PM

Stehouwer's pigs in the blanket (having them tonight), they are excellent and you just heat them up. Also I really like Chicken Voila, I get the 3 cheese chicken kind.

by Anonymousreply 263August 31, 2022 10:45 PM

Stouffers fettuccine alfredo

by Anonymousreply 264August 31, 2022 10:50 PM

r230, please trust a fat whore when it comes to French fries. the linked brand are the best fries you can buy. spritz with olive oil, cook in a convection oven and, if you are me, dip in homemade cheese sauce.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265August 31, 2022 11:04 PM

I used to love the Bob Evans breakfast burritos but in the last year I can't find them anywhere. I even ventured into Walmart where I only go once a year.

by Anonymousreply 266August 31, 2022 11:09 PM

I had the Stouffer’s Swedish Meatballs for dinner.

Reliably satisfying.

by Anonymousreply 267August 31, 2022 11:23 PM

I really love those stupid ham and cheese hot pockets. only the ham and cheese ones.

by Anonymousreply 268August 31, 2022 11:29 PM

^^ same

by Anonymousreply 269August 31, 2022 11:31 PM

Stouffers Cheddar Potato Bake. I haven't seen it since early covid days.

by Anonymousreply 270August 31, 2022 11:38 PM

Minh frozen mini egg rolls, they taste just like egg rolls from a Chinese restaurant, for a frozen food, they're quite tasty. For some reason, Costco only carries them around the Winter holidays.

Also, the frozen mini Spanakopita spinach pies, also from Costco, are delicious. DiGiorno frozen pizza was also quite good, Costco no longer carries this brand. The frozen tortellini is also quite good, but they don't always carry it.

I do most of my food shopping at Costco, I refuse to pay the much higher prices at my local supermarkets. You definitely get more for your money at Costco, you also receive cash back rewards on everything you buy there, using both their membership card and the Citi Costco card. You basically receive double cash back. If you shop there a lot, the membership card pays for itself. I shop for myself, my partner and my father. I also sometimes shop there for my elderly neighbor.

by Anonymousreply 271August 31, 2022 11:55 PM

I live alone so it seems like Costco would be too large of portions for one person. My brother who has a big family loves going there.

by Anonymousreply 272August 31, 2022 11:58 PM

I live alone also and do buy things from Costco. You don't have to eat the whole box at one time, esp. if it's frozen. Just take out what you need. E.g., the egg rolls that someone mentioned above. Just take out a couple and put the rest back in the freezer.

by Anonymousreply 273September 1, 2022 1:09 AM

I like these Alexia crinkle-cut sweet potato fries, salt & pepper flavor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274September 1, 2022 1:11 AM

[quote]I live alone so it seems like Costco would be too large of portions for one person. My brother who has a big family loves going there.

IIRC, the Costco membership can be split with two or three family members. If you live near your brother can you shop with him or his wife/partner there? The savings are worth it.

My local supermarket prices are getting obscene. I was there a few weeks ago to get cookies for my mom (my Costco doesn't have a great selection of cookies), 12 dozen jumbo eggs were $5.99, that's ridiculous. 24 eggs at Costco are $3.99.

My partner and I also buy the large packages of plain frozen vegetables, fresh vegetables spoil faster. Yes, I agree the packages of everything at Costco are super sized, but it you have enough room to freeze the large packages of frozen food, a membership is worth it.

It's also helps if you have a storage area for the large packages of toilet paper, paper towels and other non-perishables. My partner and I have a third bedroom which we use for storage. The Kleenex isn't on sale every month, when it's on sale, we usually purchase two 10 packs.

by Anonymousreply 275September 1, 2022 1:14 AM

Stouffers Mac and cheese is amazing, but too fattening. I love the Gardein products like seven grain chicken tenders and the Mandarin crispy Chicken. It’s all good.

by Anonymousreply 276September 1, 2022 1:19 AM

Costco carried Alexia potatoes, two types, my Costco no longer carries any frozen potatoes. Costco also carried Nathan's and Ore-Ida. Yet, this same Costco has two sections of junk food, all sorts of chips, crackers etc and a full aisle of candy. Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 277September 1, 2022 1:39 AM

Hmm ... I had kind of given up on Costco's frozen foods. If they have the Alexia potatoes, I might have to check. I've seen the Grown In Idaho products that R268 posted, I forgot where, though. 🤨 Possibly Whole Foods.

by Anonymousreply 278September 1, 2022 1:51 AM

Funnily enough, I made Alexia fries tonight...the Organic Yukon Select with sea salt. Not bad, but I found they took longer to cook to have the correct colour. I didn't spray them with olive oil, as mentioned above. I reckon that helps them brown better, without becoming overly dry. Frozen fries are tricky that way: you want crispy and golden, not dried out. Trying the oil next time.

by Anonymousreply 279September 1, 2022 2:06 AM

Four favorites:

Stouffer's meatloaf and mashed potatoes

Stouffer's mac and cheese

Healthy Choice beef teriyaki

Healthy Choice sweet and sour chicken

I keep a supply in the freezer. Handy when you don't want to fix anything.

by Anonymousreply 280September 1, 2022 2:09 AM

Turkey Tetrazzini?!

by Anonymousreply 281September 1, 2022 2:15 AM

[quote]Hmm ... I had kind of given up on Costco's frozen foods.

My local Costco isn't super large, so it's understandable that they don't always carry certain items, but it's baffling seeing so much junk food taking up so much valuable real estate in their stores.

When they do carry something different, the eggplant parmigiana was good, but they don't always carry that, same for the small won-ton potstickers. It seems there are so many items which are either seasonal or they only carry them once or twice, see how well the item sells, then make a decision whether or not to carry the items again.

It's even more baffling when they stop carrying their own Kirkland brand, that happened last year when their own cheddar cheese was swapped for an expensive California brand of cheddar which was $6 a pound, $12 for a 2 lb brick of cheddar was ridiculous. The store got lots of complaints, they are back to selling their own Kirkland cheddar at $5.39 for 2 lbs.

I also found out, Costco prices are different across the US, that explains why the monthly Costco book only shows the discount amount per item, not the actual item price.

by Anonymousreply 282September 1, 2022 2:16 AM

My Costco has the opposite problem with cheeses. They stopped selling President brand (French) feta cheese and replaced it with Kirkland goat cheese, which tastes awful. They stopped selling Bel Gioioso fresh mozzarella with Kirkland - awful.

The entire center portion of my local Costco has clothing and junk food. The clothing aisle is dead. The junk food areas have more action. I don't even bother. I'm not buying junk food in those quantities. I don't care if it's cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 283September 1, 2022 2:22 AM

EatingWell Chicken, green beans, carrots, and fingerling potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 284September 1, 2022 2:26 AM

R175 The Pepperidge Farm's turnovers are certainly better than the Whole Foods turnovers from their bakery. I do jot buy these frequently, so the WF variety have been a major disappointment. Not flaky, soggy bottoms, as well well as too much sugar on the top.

by Anonymousreply 285September 1, 2022 2:32 AM

Stouffers frozen lasagne.

by Anonymousreply 286September 1, 2022 2:34 AM

Trader Joe's fried rice, orange chicken, chicken tikka masala, and egg rolls.

by Anonymousreply 287September 1, 2022 2:41 AM

Speaking of Trader Joe’s, their microwaveable brown rice is great.

by Anonymousreply 288September 1, 2022 2:48 AM

TJ vegetarian biryani

by Anonymousreply 289September 1, 2022 3:08 AM

Saffron Road - Chicken Biryani

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290September 1, 2022 3:29 AM

[quote]My Costco has the opposite problem with cheeses. They stopped selling President brand (French) feta cheese and replaced it with Kirkland goat cheese, which tastes awful. They stopped selling Bel Gioioso fresh mozzarella with Kirkland - awful.

I do notice the Bel Gioioso fresh mozzarella is only sold in conjunction with the monthly coupon sales, otherwise Costco rarely carries it. Costco always has Polly-O mozzarella and ricotta. I've never seen Kirkland mozzarella at my Costco. They always carry feta, I forgot the brand. Boursin and Laughing Cow are also only sold when there's a discount in the coupon booklet.

There's always a collection of imported cheeses, but I rarely look at them, as they're too expensive. The imported cheeses are in different size packages, they're sold by the pound. I once tried the cheese from Ireland, Kerrygold Dubliner, it was awful, it reminded me of very sharp Parmesan. I like grated Parmesan, but not eating it chunk style, ugh

Costco carries Finlandia Swiss cheese, I've never seen another brand of Swiss.

Certain items this Costco regularly carries, can suddenly be gone for months, for example, they haven't carried hummus and the refrigerated salsa for the last two months. When asked 'why', the manager usually says, "Our food buyers are not getting certain items at affordable prices."

by Anonymousreply 291September 1, 2022 4:00 AM

Hmm ... I like the Kerrygold Dubliner cheese a lot. It's a cross of Parmesan and cheddar.

They (Costco) used to have a nice Comté cheese. I forgot what brand it was. Stopped selling it a long time ago.

The Kirkland mozzarella is awful, IMO. Flavorless & crappy texture; also, the slices are too thin, IMO. I realize mozzarella is a mild cheese, but there's such a thing as too bland.

by Anonymousreply 292September 1, 2022 4:21 AM

Stouffer's Spaghetti with Meat Sauce - way better than the Spaghetti with Meatballs entree Stouffer's Grandma's Chicken and Rice Bake Trader Joe's Butter Chicken Trader Joe's Hatch Chile Mac and Cheese

R290 - Saffron Road entrees are so good! My favorite is the Chicken Pad Thai.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293September 1, 2022 4:36 AM

Now I'm hungry for some Chicken Tetrazzini

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294September 1, 2022 5:25 AM

Edwards Key Lime pie

by Anonymousreply 295September 1, 2022 5:30 AM

Re Costco, they seem to stock certain items in accordance with the demographic of a neighborhood, but I live in an extremely diversified neighborhood. I do wonder why this Costco wastes so much space on junk food.

In my neighborhood there are private houses, rental apartment buildings, expensive 1-2 million dollar condos on the waterfront, three older co-op complexes and three public housing projects. The neighborhood is extreme diverse and a lot of the residents shop at Costco. Costco is always crowded, I always shop on weeknights, about an hour before they close. Weekends it's a madhouse, you'd think they were giving their stock away!

by Anonymousreply 296September 1, 2022 5:33 AM

Don't really eat frozen foods other than ice cream. Love Trader Joe's Green Tea Mochi. The strawberry is good too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297September 1, 2022 5:33 AM

I still like Banquet pot pies as a treat. All gravy and crust with one pea floating along with a piece of chicken. Carb heaven all for 66 cents. Mmm, once a month and I love it.

by Anonymousreply 298September 1, 2022 5:52 AM

R211, When I was in Highschool my boyfriend's mom would get deliveries from Schwan's every couple of weeks, I thought that was the echelon of Upper middle-class extravagance!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299September 1, 2022 8:51 AM

The little Banquet apple pies aren't bad if you bake not mw them and put some sugar and cinnamon on the crust before baking.

by Anonymousreply 300September 1, 2022 9:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!