Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gillian Anderson's two accents

People have been freaked out on twitter that she used her American rather than her British accent to accept her GG last night.

She can speak both accents--she was born and grew up in the UK, but moved to the US as a teenager and was bullied into adapting an American accent. now she can do either, and she can even switch which one she does mid-sentence.

Does she just switch them based on who her audience is?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 10, 2021 11:24 PM

She left England when she was 11 so the American accent is probably the one that comes most naturally to her if that is what she used during her formative years.

(I had an accent and moved at 9 and completely lost it.)

by Anonymousreply 1March 2, 2021 5:32 AM

She lives between the states and the uk

by Anonymousreply 2March 2, 2021 5:34 AM

John Barrowman has the same thing though he doesn't use his Scottish accent on English television.

by Anonymousreply 3March 2, 2021 5:36 AM

The woman is a professional faker. She uses fake voices to fit the appropriately fake occasion.

by Anonymousreply 4March 2, 2021 5:38 AM

[quote] She lives between the states and the uk

In the middle of the Atlantic Ocean? How does she do that?

by Anonymousreply 5March 2, 2021 5:39 AM

She was born in Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 6March 2, 2021 5:42 AM

But does she have two secrets? Anyways, has she identified the next man who can create prominent roles for her and started a relationship?

by Anonymousreply 7March 2, 2021 7:09 AM

Gillian Leigh Anderson

Anderson was born in Chicago, Illinois, the daughter of Rosemary "Posie" Alyce (née Lane), a computer analyst, and later vice president of Neurofibromatosis Inc., the NF support group of West Michigan, and Homer Edward "Ed" Anderson III, who owned a film post-production company. She is of English, German, and Irish ancestry. Soon after her birth, her parents moved to Puerto Rico for 15 months, then to London. The family relocated so that her father could attend the London Film School. During her childhood, she lived in north London's Crouch End and Haringey. She was a pupil of Coleridge Primary School. When Anderson was 11 years old, her family returned to the United States, settling in Grand Rapids, Michigan. They continued to keep a flat in London, and spent their summers there. Anderson later said that she had always intended to return to England. In Grand Rapids, she attended Fountain Elementary and City High-Middle School, a program for gifted students with a strong emphasis on the humanities.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 2, 2021 7:24 AM

She has resided in London since 2002.

by Anonymousreply 9March 2, 2021 7:25 AM

People on Twitter need to get a life of their own.

by Anonymousreply 10March 2, 2021 7:55 AM

Her performance as Margaret Thatcher in The Crown was absolutely dreadful, just a collection of tics, grimaces, and painful elocution. She singlehandedly destroyed what should have been some of the most compelling scenes in that series. Careers don't get destroyed for one bad performance anymore ('Ms Anderson, Faye Dunaway is on the phone and she is pissed!'), but GA should be a laughing stock.

by Anonymousreply 11March 2, 2021 8:00 AM

^I totally agree, and what's so frustrating is that many people fell all over themselves praising her performance. I don't think most people know what good acting is.

by Anonymousreply 12March 2, 2021 8:13 AM

[quote]Her performance as Margaret Thatcher in The Crown was absolutely dreadful, just a collection of tics, grimaces, and painful elocution. She singlehandedly destroyed what should have been some of the most compelling scenes in that series.

Every clip I've seen of her in The Crown is hideous, like she's doing an impression of Steve Nallon and the Spitting Image puppet. Amazed she got awards for it.

Jennifer Ehle is another actor with an interchangeable transatlantic accent that gets stronger based on who she is talking to. All of her roles in the 90s were in the same upper class English accent and all her interviews were in the same voice, but she got very upset at an awards ceremony when someone called her English.

Sheena Easton moved to the US in her early 20s and has picked up the accent and is called a fake by Scottish people because they think she's deliberately dropped her native accent.

by Anonymousreply 13March 2, 2021 8:16 AM

It feels reductive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 2, 2021 8:25 AM

People are crazy as hell. Actors are special people, leave us alone and let us be creative artists, as we are intended to be.

by Anonymousreply 15March 2, 2021 8:25 AM

My husband is from Grand Rapids, they are the same age. She was quite the local fixture for reasons unknown. Zero grace, zero charm, completely devoid of interests or curiosity, and not even that hot. Yet she was very thirsty for attention. He thinks she was sexually abused because he had seen that sort of flat affect in other people he knew to have been. Apparently, she was quite the leg spreader, and while he obviously did not partake, he noted she didn't have a steady boyfriend the entire time he knew her so in keeping, it sounded like she was a snore in the sack too.

by Anonymousreply 16March 2, 2021 8:32 AM

[quote “The woman is a professional faker. She uses fake voices to fit the appropriately fake occasion.”]

In other words, she’s an actress. Why the aggression?

by Anonymousreply 17March 2, 2021 8:41 AM

R16 That's some really creative writing did there. Keep that up, and one day you just might be able to write a screenplay for Ms, Anderson to Star in.

by Anonymousreply 18March 2, 2021 8:42 AM

Gillian Anderson has delivered some great performances - House Of Mirth, The Fall, Bleak House, The Spy Who Dumped Me, Shadow Dancer.

But the clips of The Crown was hideous.

by Anonymousreply 19March 2, 2021 8:43 AM

Why would people be confused by her American accent? Did no one watch X-Files? I'm always surprised when I hear her with an English accent.

by Anonymousreply 20March 2, 2021 2:35 PM

Is her son Gay?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 10, 2021 10:18 PM

Isn't she into women?

by Anonymousreply 22June 10, 2021 10:27 PM

[Quote] Is her son Gay?

Her sons are 14 and 13... GTFO.

by Anonymousreply 23June 10, 2021 10:29 PM

Its called code switching.

by Anonymousreply 24June 10, 2021 10:44 PM

She attended DePaul drama school as well. I had a friend who was born in the UK and then travelled quite a bit before the family settled in South Florida when she was about 10, she went to school there until college and then returned to the UK and went to Uni there and has been there ever since. Her husband says that whenever she's around her high school friends she falls back into her American accent. She said that she returned to the UK at 18 because she would lose her British accent for good if she didn't.

by Anonymousreply 25June 10, 2021 10:55 PM

[quote]R2: She lives between the states and the uk

It's a shame that the poster is so illiterate and lazy she's not one to understand the question, "On board a kayak or deposited in Bermuda?"

by Anonymousreply 26June 10, 2021 10:58 PM

Not necessarily just an acting affectation. I once worked with someone who had a broad Australian accent but when she made her daily hour-long calls from the office to her Scottish mother she would sound like she was dialling in from Glasgow. Then would hang up and switch straight back to Bogan. She reckoned that she didn’t know that she did it.

by Anonymousreply 27June 10, 2021 11:07 PM

When I was in high school I visited a theater college friend in San Diego and my Boston accent completely disappeared overnight.

It did return if I was drunk, high, or spent too much time with my mom.

by Anonymousreply 28June 10, 2021 11:12 PM

[quote]Her sons are 14 and 13... GTFO.

That guy in that TikTok is in his teens? He's going to look 42 by the time he's 21.

by Anonymousreply 29June 10, 2021 11:19 PM

Are you Chris Evans, r28?

by Anonymousreply 30June 10, 2021 11:23 PM

[Quote] That guy in that TikTok is in his teens? He's going to look 42 by the time he's 21.

Google may be wrong. I don't click on TikTok links.

by Anonymousreply 31June 10, 2021 11:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!