Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Biden Didn’t Accomplish Anything in Congress in 50 Years

This meme is going around left-wing social media. What was Biden’s record in Congress? Did he do much?

by Anonymousreply 35March 5, 2021 12:26 PM

It's either a very late night or a very early morning in Ulyanovsk

by Anonymousreply 1March 2, 2021 12:03 AM

Yeah, this is the first I'm hearing of it on left wing social media.

by Anonymousreply 2March 2, 2021 12:04 AM

Certainly more than Bernie!

by Anonymousreply 3March 2, 2021 12:06 AM

OP/Svetlana darling, don't you think these sorts of threads would work better closer to the next election? You'[re a little early.

by Anonymousreply 4March 2, 2021 12:06 AM

Define “accomplishment”?

by Anonymousreply 5March 2, 2021 12:06 AM

Don’t really know what he did in Congress but he and Obama accomplished a whole hell of a lot when Obama was President and Biden VP

by Anonymousreply 6March 2, 2021 12:07 AM

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I was under the belief that President Joseph Biden sponsored the original Violence Against Women Act in 1994. I thought that as a result of that act, there was a major decline in intimate partner violence, from over 2 million victims in 1993/4 down to approximately 925,000 in 2020. Just an estimate.

It is also my recollection, maybe I'm wrong, but didn't he initiate the expansion of NATO to include such Warsaw Pact nations as the Czech Republic, Hungary, and Poland in an effort to advance a unified, democratic and peaceful Europe?

I think he may have also been the first sitting U.S. Vice President to publicly support marriage equality. That was on some morning news show.

by Anonymousreply 7March 2, 2021 12:20 AM

When Joe Biden was the ranking member of the Senate Judiciary Committee in the 1980s, he blocked Jeff Sessions from becoming a federal judge. Former President Donald Trump two years ago agreed with Biden's assessment of Jeff Sessions, going so far as to question Jeff Sessions' credibility, legitimacy, and intelligence.

Joe Biden co-sponsored legislation in 2007 and 2008 in order to curb greenhouse gas emissions.

In 2008, he successfully passed the PROTECT Our Children Act, which was aimed at addressing the online exploitation of children.

by Anonymousreply 8March 2, 2021 12:25 AM

Didn't President Biden preside over the confirmation hearings of the late Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg back in the early 1990s?

by Anonymousreply 9March 2, 2021 12:26 AM

In 2006, while a Senator, Joe Biden sponsored and helped pass the COMBATING AUTISM ACT.

In 2004, he sponsored the COMPREHENSIVE PEACE IN THE SUDAN ACT.

by Anonymousreply 10March 2, 2021 12:33 AM

While serving in the 108th United States Congress, in the early 2000s Joe Biden sponsored and helped pass some bill to extend the authority for the construction of a memorial of Martin Luther King, Jr.

by Anonymousreply 11March 2, 2021 12:35 AM

He accomplished expansion of / amendments to the Ryan White AIDS CARE Act in 2000

by Anonymousreply 12March 2, 2021 12:36 AM

Missing, Exploited, and Runaway Children Protection Act of 2000.

by Anonymousreply 13March 2, 2021 12:37 AM

Challenged China on Human Rights issues and mistreatment of LGBTQ citizens.

by Anonymousreply 14March 2, 2021 12:39 AM

[quote] Biden Didn’t Accomplish Anything in Congress in 50 Years

Not true. Thanks to Joe we have the Patriot Act. It used to be fashionable to say it was fascist legislation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 2, 2021 12:40 AM

Joe Biden served on the Senate Judiciary Committee and the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

by Anonymousreply 16March 2, 2021 12:41 AM

S.J.Res.44 — 106th Congress (1999-2000) A joint resolution supporting the Day of Honor 2000 to honor and recognize the service of minority veterans in the United States Armed Forces during World War II.

by Anonymousreply 17March 2, 2021 12:44 AM

His accomplishments: 1987 Biden's Presidential campaign ended after being accused of plagiarism. Biden supported Clarence Thomas for the Supreme Court. Supported the 1994 Violent Crime Control and Law enforcement Act It is an embarrassment now as it caused mass incarceration. Biden supported the Hyde Amendment from 1976 to June 2019. In 1981 he voted to end federal funding for abortion for victims of rape and incest. In the mid 70's he was a leading opponent of race-integration busing. He was a supporter of Capitol Punishment till June 20, 2019. In 1986 Biden sponsored and co-wrote the Anti-Drug Abuse Act. This act ended up with Black drug users were more likely to use crack and hence were incarcerated in larger numbers. Biden partnering with Strom Thurmond on the Comprehensive Forfeiture Act. Biden supported the 2002 Illicit Drug Anti-Proliferation Act and expansion of the 1986 Anti-Crack house statute. That was opposed by the ACLU . He was against de-criminalization of marijuana until 2019 and 2020 when he was for it. His Vice President was correct in saying he was a racist but took the job anyway. Why? Maybe she will be President sooner than you think.

by Anonymousreply 18March 2, 2021 12:48 AM

R18, when some has had a political career as long as Biden, one will inevitably have some not so proud moments. What matters is that as VP and Prez, he has evolved and stands for progress

by Anonymousreply 19March 2, 2021 12:53 AM

FUCK

OFF

BORIS

OP

by Anonymousreply 20March 2, 2021 12:55 AM

He fought to keep schools segregated because allowing blacks to integrate would create a racial jungle. He taxed social security. He ran for president in 1988 but had to end it for getting busted for plagiarism. He wrote the crime bill that caused a mass incarceration of African Americans. Oh, he used his office while VP to enrich his family.

by Anonymousreply 21March 2, 2021 12:58 AM

Do your own research, OP—he did a ton!

by Anonymousreply 22March 2, 2021 1:02 AM

Of course it’s a mixed bag by today’s standards, but he did accomplish a lot.

Progressive children are purists and don’t understand what senators do.

He’s president. That’s a huge accomplishment, albeit outside of Congress.

Bernie didn’t win the nomination, OP.

Trump lost, OP.

by Anonymousreply 23March 2, 2021 1:04 AM

R18 Today you are not allowed to get a pass on your past. It has destroyed many. Why should Biden get a pass? What I want many of the people of today is their social media will contribute to their destruction...

by Anonymousreply 24March 2, 2021 1:17 AM

Ask any of those rightwing critics who a truly accomplished Republican in congress is and watch them stand there agape like Carp.

by Anonymousreply 25March 2, 2021 1:25 AM

I would like to lift up the response posted by R23.

It seems that R23 makes a strong and valid point, so I'd like to repeat it. Trump LOST.

by Anonymousreply 26March 2, 2021 1:31 AM

keep looking for moose and squirrel

by Anonymousreply 27March 2, 2021 1:32 AM

[quote] Maybe she will be President sooner than you think.

At least Joe beat William Henry Harrison in the longevity in the presidency race. That's pretty good for a man in his conditions.

by Anonymousreply 28March 2, 2021 1:37 AM

[Quote] He taxed social security.

Actually Reagan taxed SS. Biden may have voted for it (I haven’t verified) but the country was in deep shit and needed money.

by Anonymousreply 29March 2, 2021 1:38 AM

Also, he wasn’t in Congress for 50 years.

by Anonymousreply 30March 2, 2021 1:46 AM

President Biden is kicking ass woot woot. Soooo glad he beat that dumb orange POS’s fat ass in the election. What a whiny, tiny dicked bitch loser. Mighty Joe!

by Anonymousreply 31March 2, 2021 3:34 AM

I am sick to death of the Twitter purists. Nobody came out of their mother's vagina fully formed and with the most up-to-date and politically correct views on everything. Joe Biden has been around for a long time, so he is going to have his fingerprints on a lot of different things. That's the way life works.

Please go die in a grease fire, tiresome trolls.

by Anonymousreply 32March 2, 2021 3:51 AM

Congress isn't a place where any one person "accomplishes" anything.

You can put in ANY name and claim he/she didnt accomplish anything in Congress

by Anonymousreply 33March 2, 2021 8:39 PM

Not any name.

by Anonymousreply 34March 4, 2021 12:17 PM

[quote] Certainly more than Bernie!

Actually, not true.

by Anonymousreply 35March 5, 2021 12:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!