Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hellraiser (1987)

I didn't realize this was (or could be read as) a queer movie. What's everyone's take on this? I read some analyses on gay pop media type web sites and was not that impressed. Sure the Cenobites are doms, but there seems to be more.

by Anonymousreply 53May 24, 2022 9:57 AM

Clive Barker himself is openly gay.

by Anonymousreply 1March 1, 2021 11:16 PM

Clare Higgins is not your stand-in, OP.

And the cube is not nihilistic homosexuality.

Also, you’re not a strong, black woman.

by Anonymousreply 2March 1, 2021 11:17 PM

I get it, we are all Frank. Not sure about the black woman thing, though, please advise.

by Anonymousreply 3March 1, 2021 11:25 PM

It's certainly possible. You do wonder where Barker got the idea. Had he been in a repressed relationship with boring sex and longed for a more passionate past lover to return, get rid of the new lover, and fuck him until their dying days? He writes it so well that I'd have to bet on it.

by Anonymousreply 4March 1, 2021 11:48 PM

His fabulous monsters are always less insidious than his human psychopaths. Plus, his work doesn’t hide sexuality - even in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 5March 1, 2021 11:56 PM

Clive Baker is gay and Hellraiser has a lot of camp tropes, the bitchy, chain-smoking, whore stepmother being the most obvious one.

by Anonymousreply 6March 2, 2021 12:09 AM

Barker is into S&M. Hellraiser is about dark sexual desire but it isn't necessarily about gay men as a hole.

by Anonymousreply 7March 2, 2021 1:09 AM

I tend to agree with R7, although I do wonder about a gay man making such a blood-drenched movie in the middle of the AIDS crisis.

by Anonymousreply 8March 2, 2021 1:12 AM

[quote] "but it isn't necessarily about gay men as a hole."

It's DEFINITELY not about this!

by Anonymousreply 9March 2, 2021 4:28 AM

[quote]I do wonder about a gay man making such a blood-drenched movie in the middle of the AIDS crisis.

Give it a rest.

by Anonymousreply 10March 2, 2021 9:44 AM

Perhaps you're teasing us.

Are you teasing us?

by Anonymousreply 11March 2, 2021 10:06 AM

[quote]R7:... about gay men as a hole.

Oh, Dear.

by Anonymousreply 12March 2, 2021 10:29 AM

Found this movie to be boring as hell. Is part 2 better?

by Anonymousreply 13March 2, 2021 11:42 AM

Part 2 is so righteously bad it’s awesome. The budget is much bigger and the effects are, well, effects...

by Anonymousreply 14March 2, 2021 11:46 AM

What's your analysis, then, R10?

by Anonymousreply 15March 2, 2021 12:35 PM

Or are we just supposed to not think at all?

by Anonymousreply 16March 2, 2021 12:35 PM

Hellbound is my all time fave horror film.

"But this is what you wanted. Wanted to see. Wanted to know. And now you know. And I wanted EVERYTHING. And now we're both happy. Good bye, Doctor."

"....and to think I hesitated..."

by Anonymousreply 17March 2, 2021 2:19 PM

Hellbound is more fun. It's like a horror version of Labyrinth. Great effects and some of the nastiest gore effects you'll ever see.

I hear a lot of people talking about how the first one is boring, but I've always found it fascinating. It's rough around the edges, but you can't really say you've ever seen anything else like it. I found the family drama/love triangle stuff much more interesting than the Cenobites, but judging by the sequels, I must have been in the minority there, because Julia, Kirsty, Frank, etc. are thrown out after part 2 except for two Kirsty cameos in parts 3 and 6.

by Anonymousreply 18March 2, 2021 4:43 PM

[quote]a queer movie

A what movie?

by Anonymousreply 19March 2, 2021 5:04 PM

Julia was supposed to have continued as the Queen of Hell but she wanted no part of it. She was the best character, too.

Shame she never had any scenes with the Cenobites.

by Anonymousreply 20March 2, 2021 5:07 PM

Would much prefer to see his books filmed, (Weaveworld, especially), than the endless fucking King adaptations and remakes and reboots and sequels and....

by Anonymousreply 21March 2, 2021 5:12 PM

If you mean that behind a banal suburban existence there is a realm of horror and desire? then yes

by Anonymousreply 22March 2, 2021 5:13 PM

"Kirsty... you have surprisingly good taste in men. They didn't tell you, did they? They've changed the rules of the fairy tale. I'm no longer just the wicked stepmother. Now I'm the evil queen. So come on! Take your best shot, Snow White!"

by Anonymousreply 23March 2, 2021 5:16 PM

R21, he posted on a reddit AMA in October that there’s a lot more money flowing for productions via Amazon Originals as well as Netflix and cable these days. I don’t think made any confirmations on anything, though.

He has jumped from project to project for the last 25 years, so I don’t depend on promised sequels. Every time I think I’ll see a third Book of The Art, he puts out an Aborat or an art book or an ode.

by Anonymousreply 24March 2, 2021 5:20 PM

R24 Really liked The Great and Secret Show and sequel. Stuck in the first nuclear blast forever, very cool idea.

by Anonymousreply 25March 2, 2021 5:29 PM

"GET THEM OFF OF ME!!!!!!"

by Anonymousreply 26March 2, 2021 5:45 PM

Queer, R19. Not gay, because S&M isn't just gay.

by Anonymousreply 27March 2, 2021 5:50 PM

R27 Oh cunt off.

by Anonymousreply 28March 2, 2021 6:00 PM

What word do you prefer? Kinky?

by Anonymousreply 29March 2, 2021 6:08 PM

Sorry, the whole point was that I read a bunch of random gay web site reviews that called it a queer movie, and wanted opinions. Cunt off is pretty weak.

by Anonymousreply 30March 2, 2021 6:10 PM

The first movie was great, the second one sucked because Claire Higgins is only in it for like one minute.

by Anonymousreply 31March 2, 2021 6:10 PM

If I really wanted to piss DL off I suppose I could call it a bisexual movie. What's Frank doing with those dudes? DON'T WATCH ME!

by Anonymousreply 32March 2, 2021 6:12 PM

Queer means straight with purple hair. It has not a single fucking thing to do Barker or his writing.

And monkey boy living in the women's body is not tranny.

by Anonymousreply 33March 2, 2021 6:15 PM

I think these random gay web reviews are considering S&M to be queer. It is generally accepted that queer means more than purple hair.

by Anonymousreply 34March 2, 2021 6:16 PM

It also means "weird".

by Anonymousreply 35March 3, 2021 2:13 AM

Gay also means "happy".

by Anonymousreply 36March 3, 2021 3:08 AM

Watched it again. I don't get why AIDS should have anything to do with this or what kind of obligation the writer/director is supposed to have because "some people have AIDS".

It's a horror movie not a political movie. Standard horror fare.

by Anonymousreply 37March 4, 2021 11:58 AM

Everything is political.

by Anonymousreply 38March 4, 2021 9:33 PM

R37. I somehow had the idea that Barker himself is HIV+, which might inform the blood:AIDS connection. Anyone know that is his status or is it just speculation?

by Anonymousreply 39March 4, 2021 9:43 PM

He is positive (there was a lawsuit about him supposedly knowingly infecting someone). Who knows when it happened though.

by Anonymousreply 40March 4, 2021 9:45 PM

I liked the part of the story about the horrific skinless lover in the attic but the Cenobite stuff's too Doctor Who for me.

Clive Barker had a vogue during the horror boom of the 1980s but I don't think his writings have stood the test of time. M. R. James is still the king of gay horror.

by Anonymousreply 41March 4, 2021 10:00 PM

At the time of release, Barker thought the original Hellraiser was a bit crap, but a little later, he saw it as good for that era.

by Anonymousreply 42May 20, 2022 9:19 PM

Weren’t the demons inspired by people he saw at an s&m club?

by Anonymousreply 43May 20, 2022 9:30 PM

I find Pinhead really sexy

by Anonymousreply 44May 20, 2022 9:31 PM

Frank (and/or the guy that plays him) isn't necessarily straight. He's a sex and power addict. He likely was only hate fucking his brother's wife because it's a way to backstab and score points against his more conventionally successful sibling.

One can imagine a character like Frank being super ironic and internally laughing about it when interacting with both later and having zero intentions to pull Julia out of the marriage. Then he rolled on to stranger fare.

Julia, however took the thing seriously and it marred the entire rest of her marriage. In fact, she may have only stayed with Larry hoping Frank would come back and save her from such drudgery. She was addicted to the dicking Frank gave her.

When Frank shows up again, he wants her to lure numerous men to his attic for him to feed on and reconstruct himself.

All this is catered to by near sexless S&M demons from the underworld.

by Anonymousreply 45May 20, 2022 9:32 PM

This is one of my favourite movies, but I would never have considered it a gay film.

by Anonymousreply 46May 20, 2022 9:53 PM

Nightmare on Elm Street 2 on the other hand ....

by Anonymousreply 47May 20, 2022 9:54 PM

This movie is fucking brilliant IMO. I never saw it as a gay film per se, other than the fact that Clive Barker is a big queen (and Pinhead is oddly sexy). I feel like people tend to forget that the plot mostly centers around a femme fatale however and that the monsters kind of take a back seat, compared to the sequels anyway.

by Anonymousreply 48May 20, 2022 9:55 PM

There's a really cool documentary about the making of hellraiser called 'Leviathan'. I torrented it but surely it's floating around somewhere. It wasn't the 4 hour one i just found on youtube.

by Anonymousreply 49May 20, 2022 9:59 PM

Frank is a user, rough trade. Using his penis to get what he wants or needs.

He'd fuck anyone for any reason at all. Mostly to get shit out of them while laughing at rocking their boring world. He was ultimately done in by that very lust Itch he couldn't scratch in any other way than playing with the box. Notice his experiences in the box are pure sex and violence of every debauched kind, not "straight heteros screwing".

Julia was a cold fish turning into a psychopath. Partway through the film, she was getting off on the blood and gore itself.

by Anonymousreply 50May 20, 2022 10:03 PM

Julia is a brilliant character.

I love these quotes: "We're demons to some. Angels to others." and "No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering."

The movie is like a super gory, fucked up soap opera.

by Anonymousreply 51May 23, 2022 11:21 AM

Frank and Pinhead are husband material!

by Anonymousreply 52May 23, 2022 12:10 PM

Hellraiser II has a real Nightmare on Elm Street 3 vibe.

by Anonymousreply 53May 24, 2022 9:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!