Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What companies should we be boycotting?

After reading what a poster wrote on the Goya thread, it got me thinking about our responsibility as gay, socially conscious citizens.

They wrote:

[quote] I’m going to go without anything Goya though. I haven’t bought Smuckers, any Koch Brothers products or Barilla pasta in years. I’ve never been to Chik-Fil-A and I never will.

So what other businesses deserve to be cancelled by us?

by Anonymousreply 70June 11, 2021 11:30 PM

Hobby Lobby

In N Out

by Anonymousreply 1March 1, 2021 10:14 PM

Barilla pasta is cancelled?

by Anonymousreply 2March 1, 2021 10:15 PM

Radioshack

by Anonymousreply 3March 1, 2021 10:16 PM

Chick-fil-a

by Anonymousreply 4March 1, 2021 10:17 PM

[quote] I haven’t bought Smuckers

Why Smuckers?

by Anonymousreply 5March 1, 2021 10:20 PM

Why Barilla?

by Anonymousreply 6March 1, 2021 10:20 PM

Lol R3.

They cancelled themselves.

by Anonymousreply 7March 1, 2021 10:21 PM

Barilla has a huge following all over the EU. They sell very different products here in Romania. For example, I got these pappardelle that are made with spinach from the fridge where they keep the freshly made pasta and was in a funk where I only ordered out for a week and, in the meantime, the pasta went bad. Point being...why do our products back home have such a long shelf life? In any case, I finally broke down and got some good ole American cheddar and Gruyere and made mac n' cheese so I guess I am also just as bad.

by Anonymousreply 8March 2, 2021 12:18 AM

Coca Cola

by Anonymousreply 9March 2, 2021 12:24 AM

R9 is the starting point - along with Pepsi and Nestle.

It’s the environment.

by Anonymousreply 10March 2, 2021 12:28 AM

NIKE (sweatshop labour) and Nestle and its brands and subsidiaries (stealing water) come to mind.

by Anonymousreply 11March 2, 2021 12:28 AM

What's with this "Best little Boy in The World" gay ,socially conscious responsibility BS?

by Anonymousreply 12March 2, 2021 12:31 AM

Walmart - never have never will

Chick fil-a

Goya

Barrilla

Kraft - all products. I hate Robert Kraft

McDonalds

I’m sure there’s more

by Anonymousreply 13March 2, 2021 12:35 AM

R12, our garbage is no longer exportable so we will be sitting in our own shit very soon. It’s socialized cost and privatized profit.

We’re taking your 401k. TIA.

by Anonymousreply 14March 2, 2021 12:36 AM

Smuckers?

by Anonymousreply 15March 2, 2021 12:41 AM

chic-Fil-A

barilla

Goya

Dolce & Gabbana

Fuck them all

by Anonymousreply 16March 2, 2021 12:42 AM

[Quote] What's with this "Best little Boy in The World" gay ,socially conscious responsibility BS?

Why should I give my money to companies that work against my rights?

by Anonymousreply 17March 2, 2021 12:43 AM

[quote] What's with this "Best little Boy in The World" gay ,socially conscious responsibility BS?

Do you sit in your house and punch yourself in the face until you bleed?

No, you say?

Then why would any sane person spend money with a company that is working against them?

by Anonymousreply 18March 2, 2021 12:57 AM

Smucker's - deadly pet food.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19March 2, 2021 2:16 PM

"What's with this "Best little Boy in The World" gay ,socially conscious responsibility BS?"

Maybe it's about a group of people who care about each other, the environment, civil rights, etc. As opposed to you, R12, who probably has never lifted a finger to help another human being -- gay, straight, man, woman, or anything else -- in your sad, self-involved, lonely life.

by Anonymousreply 20March 2, 2021 2:21 PM

I'm still boycotting UPN.

by Anonymousreply 21March 2, 2021 2:21 PM

Hua Wei

by Anonymousreply 22March 2, 2021 2:22 PM

Sony and Universal

by Anonymousreply 23March 2, 2021 2:23 PM

Blockbuster and Borders

by Anonymousreply 24March 2, 2021 2:23 PM

Dolce Gabbana said nothing I don’t agree with. Give it a rest. That being said. Nestle ,Disney and McDonalds.

by Anonymousreply 25March 2, 2021 2:27 PM

[quote] Dolce Gabbana said nothing I don’t agree with. Give it a rest.

Unfortunately it's not up to you to decide for others who they want to boycott or not.

by Anonymousreply 26March 2, 2021 2:30 PM

I'm boycotting Burger King until they go gender neutral.

by Anonymousreply 27March 2, 2021 2:34 PM

boycott boycunt

by Anonymousreply 28March 2, 2021 2:34 PM

Sean Cody

by Anonymousreply 29March 2, 2021 2:50 PM

Snapple... big sponsor for Rush Limbaugh for many years. I still avoid the stuff even after they left Rush in the dust.

by Anonymousreply 30March 2, 2021 3:34 PM

Start with Nestlé. They are by far the worst.

by Anonymousreply 31March 2, 2021 3:37 PM

Amazon, Amazon, Amazon

by Anonymousreply 32March 2, 2021 3:38 PM

Baxter's soups

by Anonymousreply 33March 2, 2021 3:41 PM

We? I don't know about WE, but I still won't fucking eat at Cracker Barrel.

Also, Fat Whore Against Hate Chicken.

Plenty of hateful corps listed above, that I probably SHOULD boycott, but...

by Anonymousreply 34March 2, 2021 3:43 PM

Really, we should be boycotting many national and international companies. They are mostly terrible for the planet and for people.

Buying local when you can reduces your carbon footprint and helps local people, businesses, and the economy.

Stop falling for every marketing scheme out there. You don't need bottled water from France. Tap water is usually fine, if not buy a water cooler. Only a relatively small percentage of people need bottled water.

Support farmers markets and organic farmers when possible.

Stop buying fast fashion and crap from Walmart and dollar stores. Yes, some people rely on those places, but if we all made our local economies better, leas people would have to count on cheap crap from dollar stores and the like.

Stop buying single use plastics when possible. Use glass reusable containers instead of zip lock baggies and plastic wrap.

Avoid Amazon and Nestlé altogether. Same with Nike and McDonald's. Horrible, horrible corporations. Nike has not reformed. Barilla has done a better job of reforming than they have.

Reduce and reuse as much as possible. For some people it's hard, but most people can make an effort. Don't be lazy and stop being part of the problem.

by Anonymousreply 35March 2, 2021 3:49 PM

Wetherspoons

by Anonymousreply 36March 2, 2021 3:49 PM

I don’t give a shit about D&G’s overpriced schmattas but I still say the comments or views by I can’t remember which one, were not anything to go insane about.. R35 is correct and sums up what people should be against not petty nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 37March 2, 2021 3:54 PM

You "shouldn't" be boycotting any companies.

You should be making thoughtful decisions about whether you want to support companies whose policies adversely impact you or run counter to your own views.

Also, it's easy to take a stand when it doesn't have any negative consequences. For example, if you object to the ridiculous prices of Pfizer drugs and how they "screw" people over, should you really take their covid vaccine or should you wait until you can get the Moderna or J&J one.

by Anonymousreply 38March 2, 2021 4:01 PM

If people keep boycotting food companies or restaurants because of political and social issues, they'll all starve to death as the owners and management politics are exposed.

by Anonymousreply 39March 2, 2021 4:09 PM

[quote]Dolce Gabbana said nothing I don’t agree with.

So, r25 doesn't believe same-sex couples should raise children.

by Anonymousreply 40March 2, 2021 4:11 PM

R31 is correct

by Anonymousreply 41March 2, 2021 4:22 PM

It might be helpful to actually know WHY we should boycott these companies.

Goya and Barilla are pretty commonly known.

One supports Trump and the insurrection, the other is anti-gay.

What about all the other companies?

by Anonymousreply 42March 3, 2021 2:56 PM

People who give themselves a pat on the back for boycotting Chik-fil-a are so fucking performative.

If someone cares about the world, the biggest single change they can make it to not eat meat.

by Anonymousreply 43March 3, 2021 3:00 PM

Says you, R43.

As someone said upthread, it's a personal choice that aligns with OUR values. Not yours.

by Anonymousreply 44March 3, 2021 3:14 PM

But fags on DL still love Chick-fil-A!

by Anonymousreply 45March 3, 2021 3:19 PM

All that test on animals.

by Anonymousreply 46March 3, 2021 3:27 PM

CFA is the EASY one to avoid, the one that everyone should never spend a cent with.....but there's always dumb, unethical cunts who whine...."but I love their sandwiches....it's my only treat....wah wah wah."

by Anonymousreply 47March 3, 2021 3:54 PM

What's CFA?

by Anonymousreply 48March 3, 2021 5:04 PM

Chik

Fil

A

by Anonymousreply 49March 3, 2021 5:46 PM

Op think for yourself for once in your pathetic life!

by Anonymousreply 50March 3, 2021 7:18 PM

R44 Actually, no.

The vast majority of deforestation is due to meat farming. Mass amounts of water and energy are used to make feed for cattle.

I don’t actually give a shit, so I continue to eat meat, including CFA. BUT don’t ate like you care about the world and then eat any meat you don’t personally hunt.

by Anonymousreply 51March 3, 2021 7:40 PM

GOYA

by Anonymousreply 52March 3, 2021 7:42 PM

No one's mentioned MyPillow?

by Anonymousreply 53March 3, 2021 8:26 PM

We should also be boycotting homophobic countries (and the companies that support them), but we don't.

by Anonymousreply 54March 3, 2021 8:28 PM

Everyone should boycott Google, Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, Microsoft and Apple.

by Anonymousreply 55March 3, 2021 8:31 PM

I was a stylist at an Ulta for a few years on a very part-time basis. I had no issues while I was employed there & left on very good terms. So this isn't a post about retaliation against a former employer. Discount was pretty good, gratis was just OK & the other stylists who came & went while I was there were for the most part decent people. Managers were a different story, but I never had issues with them/they never had any issues with me. But since leaving I refuse to spend another penny with company & encourage others not to, either. The behind the scenes waste is of unfathomable proportions. They & many of the manufacturer's whose products they sell promulgate vegan- & eco-friendly ethics while having no issue with discarding hundreds & hundreds of products a month for reasons as basic as slight changes to packaging. Total hypocrites. Completely unopened, unused product headed to a landfill, plastic packaging & all. Several times I inquired about donating the bulk of these products to shelters & women's mentoring programs but was told it simply wasn't Ulta policy. Sure, a company that loves to promote the empowerment of women. Also, when the scandal broke (pre covid) on social media about returned make-up/product being resold...All true. Of course it wasn't official policy that was actually written down anywhere, but there were several times I heard district managers tell general & salon managers to spray a product with alcohol & return it to the shelf. Unlike products they discarded at the direction of manufacturers, most products returned by customers are a loss for the company, as Ulta doesn't receive a manufacturer's credit for this. It was very unsettling to see the very tops of the company throw store managers/supervisors under the bus by issuing statements contrary to what these people were being instructed to do by their superiors. So, like most other large companies, Ulta is all spin. I just happened to see how unethical a company it is with my own eyes. I recommend people spend their $$$ elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 56March 3, 2021 9:27 PM

All corporations essentially suck.

by Anonymousreply 57March 3, 2021 9:53 PM

Anything made in China. COVID payback needed.

by Anonymousreply 58March 3, 2021 9:56 PM

[quote] Completely unopened, unused product headed to a landfill, plastic packaging & all. Several times I inquired about donating the bulk of these products to shelters & women's mentoring programs but was told it simply wasn't Ulta policy.

Just remember:

Soylent Green is people!

by Anonymousreply 59March 3, 2021 10:40 PM

They must be boycotted. Their actions must have consequences that carry meaning for their corporate behavior. Money.

by Anonymousreply 60March 4, 2021 5:49 AM

R58 Along with that theme, I have to agree. I was considering investing in a company called Jinko Solar because solar energy is good, right? And in the course of my research, I stumbled onto a NYT story that said JKS might use slave labor of political prisoners to build their solar panels. A corporation really couldn't be worse than that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61March 4, 2021 6:01 AM

[quote] No one's mentioned MyPillow?

Nobody really uses that stupid pillow, anyway, but yes it should be boycotted.

by Anonymousreply 62March 4, 2021 6:03 AM

Also, there was once a thread about this, but companies using palm oil (many cosmetics corporations) should be avoided due to human rights abuses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63March 4, 2021 6:06 AM

Christopher Farms garlic.

by Anonymousreply 64March 4, 2021 6:06 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65March 4, 2021 6:12 AM

Archewell

by Anonymousreply 66March 4, 2021 6:50 AM

WHO & Roscoe's Chicken n' Waffles

by Anonymousreply 67March 4, 2021 7:48 AM

[quote]But fags on DL still love Chick-fil-A

For those who assume that Chick-Fil-A has reformed, scroll through the top pic ▶️

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68June 11, 2021 10:01 PM

[quote] Kraft - all products. I hate Robert Kraft

Robert Kraft, owner of the NE Patriots, who's a despicable Trumper, has nothing to do with Kraft Foods.

[quote] [Robert] Kraft was born in Brookline, Massachusetts, the son of Sarah Bryna (Webber) and Harry Kraft, a dress manufacturer in Boston's Chinatown. His mother was born in Halifax, Nova Scotia; his father was a lay leader at Congregation Kehillath Israel in Brookline and wanted his son to become a rabbi. The Krafts were a Modern Orthodox Jewish family.

The founder of Kraft Foods, James L. Kraft, was a right wing Christian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69June 11, 2021 10:22 PM

I think it’s a field of land mines. Capitalism is about exploitation at it’s core. I try to find the ones who are worst offenders like Chick-Fil, Barilla, etc., and try to not do business with them as much as possible, even if I have to pay more out of pocket.

by Anonymousreply 70June 11, 2021 11:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!