Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Happy Birthday, 'Dark Side of the Moon'

Pink Floyd's classic album was released on March 1, 1973.

Share your stoner stories, rocker gays.

-- It may have only reached the #1 spot on the Billboard Top 200 for one week, but the heavily conceptual album stayed on the chart for 741 straight weeks from 1973 to 1988 – an as yet and never likely to be broken streak. It made the chart again in 2009 when the trade magazine changed its measurements for catalog releases.

Released on March 1, 1973, and with worldwide sales of some 45 million copies, it is one of the best-selling albums ever. (Estimates put it behind only Michael Jackson’s Thriller, AC/DC’s Back in Black and Meat Loaf’s Bat Out of Hell in worldwide sales.)

Floyd toured the record’s material extensively in the U.K. and even previewed it live for the press in February 1972 at London’s Rainbow Theatre before recording sessions at EMI’s famed Abbey Road Studios in the summer of that year and January 1973. The album utilized some of the most cutting-edge recording technology and instruments (like analog synthesizers) of the day. And it still sounds modern and not at all archaic in the digital age.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 5, 2021 8:59 PM

Before my time really but I love Pink Floyd.

by Anonymousreply 1March 1, 2021 9:12 PM

I like "Breathe", "Brain Damage" and "Eclipse".

This album always reminds me of that strange urban legend that it syncs with The Wizard of Oz.

by Anonymousreply 2March 1, 2021 9:16 PM

R2, does it?

by Anonymousreply 3March 1, 2021 9:17 PM

Dark Side of the Moon does indeed still sound good. It's not the first album to utilize synthesizers, but it's the first album that used synthesizers that got huge.

by Anonymousreply 4March 1, 2021 9:18 PM

Dark Side of the Moon is good, but The Wall is better

by Anonymousreply 5March 1, 2021 9:21 PM

It's not an urban legend...(just the first 43 minutes of the film; the repeat doesn't synch)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 1, 2021 9:21 PM

I associate it with high school in the late 1970s and lots of pot.

by Anonymousreply 7March 1, 2021 9:51 PM

Always liked Animals better....

by Anonymousreply 8March 1, 2021 10:23 PM

One of the best intros in rock history:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 1, 2021 10:29 PM

It's one of those great classic rock albums that got played to death in the 70s, 80s & 90s. I had to get away from it and most classic rock for the longest time. I don't need to relive high school and college days; those days are far behind, and too many people want to stay in those glories. I've always been into new music since those glory years, but after buying the remastered LP a few years ago as my original copy was scratched and pitted beyond being listenable, it really did sound great. Great album and doesn't sound too dated. My fave albums by Pink Floyd are Meddle, DSOTM, and Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

by Anonymousreply 10March 1, 2021 10:36 PM

This weekend, I was in a convenience store, and "Dark Side of the Moon" came on the speaker.

Two blue-collar guys in their forties started singing along. I started singing along. The young counter guy and the other customer started singing along! Well, for a few bars, until we got embarassed and shut up.

The thing was... I was the only person present who was old enough to have been alive when the song came out, and Pink Floyd were still making music. None of today's pop stars are going to have that kind of presence in 40-50 years, are they.

by Anonymousreply 11March 2, 2021 4:14 AM

One of my favorite albums of all time...and i listen to it all the way through. Each song is pretty unique and i love the flow of it. i was not a stoner in high school and grew up on it (my parents were the hippies). Now in my 50's i still love it. Iconic.

by Anonymousreply 12March 2, 2021 4:18 AM

I wasn't a stoner, either, but when I was in high school in the 80s I used to play my thrift store copy on a cheapo stereo when I went to bed. It helped me through my alienated teenage angst years.

by Anonymousreply 13March 2, 2021 5:18 AM

Just one great album by one of the greatest bands in history. Easily the greatest band of the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 14March 2, 2021 5:23 AM

Fascinating for music fans, particularly the sound effects.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 2, 2021 5:48 AM

As noted above, 'Animals' and 'The Wall' are ambitious and among their best, but those two were the start of Roger Waters' massive ego trip that led to the dissolution of the band.

I was obsessed with both at the time, but now find 'The Wall' to be bombastic; glad I saw the shows, though. Keyboardist Richard Wright was quoted as saying he hated 'Animals,' but his contribution to "Sheep" is sublime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 2, 2021 6:27 AM

I can remember my older brother buying this when it came out, and yes its a great album that still holds up today

by Anonymousreply 17March 2, 2021 11:43 AM

a group of kids used to go to some decrepit movie theater in town and watch a laser light show accompanied by this album.

i assumed they were all getting high.

by Anonymousreply 18March 2, 2021 11:50 AM

Great record, though I prefer Meddle if I had to pick a single favorite PF album.

by Anonymousreply 19March 2, 2021 1:26 PM

I find the sync between Oz and DSotM deeply creepy, for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 20March 2, 2021 2:21 PM

David Gilmore's repeatedly said it's a coincidence, and videos of films were rare then; they would have had to screen a reeled movie several times.

Besides, Roger Waters, while not homophobic, is very straight. I can't imagine him watching the film more than once.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 5, 2021 8:23 PM

The thing that creeps me out about the "Wizard of Oz./Dark Side of the Moon" thing is not the coincidental synchronicity... it's that people found out about it!

I mean, how fucking stoned would you have to be to play "DSotM" and "WoO" with the sound off at the same time? How many stoner friends would you have to have who are willing to do the same stupid thing for word to get out? How many thousands of stoners would have to do the same for word to get to the mainstream media?

by Anonymousreply 22March 5, 2021 8:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!