Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Florida Rooms

Does anyone have one? What is the northern equivalent for this delightful tropical room?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 2, 2021 11:06 AM

The northern equivalent? A padded cell, silly.

by Anonymousreply 1March 1, 2021 7:09 PM

"Florida Room?" dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 2March 1, 2021 7:11 PM

Florida does boast of such a refined sense of culture and aesthetic

by Anonymousreply 3March 1, 2021 7:12 PM

Here in NH, many houses have sun rooms. We live in ours all year long even though it is considered a 3 season room.

by Anonymousreply 4March 1, 2021 7:12 PM

I have always wanted one

by Anonymousreply 5March 1, 2021 7:44 PM

Can we get all of Florida into them?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 1, 2021 7:47 PM

The original Florida rooms had jalousie windows. I was both obsessed and repulsed by them. After a few years the metal parts became all rusty & the windows became hard to crank & made squeaking noises.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 1, 2021 8:46 PM

A sun room, as mentioned, or a solarium.

by Anonymousreply 8March 1, 2021 8:50 PM

I don't have many windows in my living room so it's not technically a sunroom but I have so many full spectrum bulbs and plants it could qualify in a most ghetto way.

by Anonymousreply 9March 1, 2021 8:53 PM

I think a solarium is different.

The point of a Florida room, or its main innovation, was that the windows would open. Some are floor to ceiling.

by Anonymousreply 10March 1, 2021 8:57 PM

My grandmother had one in Miami Beach and I loved it...I would go visit her in the summers, and everyone hung-out there in the evenings; most of the time, instead of going to my room, I'd sleep in the Florida room with all the windows open. We have an enclosed patio, but its just not the same without those jalousie windows.

by Anonymousreply 11March 1, 2021 10:09 PM

My sister has one in her house in Buffalo. Really delightful on hot summer nights, and enjoyable if appropriately dressed in spring or fall. Unusable in winter, unless the sun hits it just right and it warms up quickly. A lovely part of her house, expertly decorated.

by Anonymousreply 12March 1, 2021 10:37 PM

I think the older Florida Rooms were often in fairly modest Florida homes and had the slatted jalousie windows on three sides. Ours was like that anyway. They were before widespread air conditioning and caught the breeze. Most were not fancy like in OP’s picture but very middle class. Just a Family Room, really.

by Anonymousreply 13March 1, 2021 11:07 PM

R4 - is the 4th season Winter or Summer?

by Anonymousreply 14March 2, 2021 12:16 AM

What the hell would you know, OP? You'd fix up a room for cam whore purposes only.your sick sex addiction. Go wash a sheet, clean a dish, mop a floor, ya good for nothing layabout. Just like your mom with arm muscles of mush

by Anonymousreply 15March 2, 2021 1:45 AM

Looks like it could get hot in the summer.

I would flip it over to being my "winter room" during the hot months. Draw dark shades and watch movies like "The Revenant" and "The Shining".

by Anonymousreply 16March 2, 2021 1:55 AM

It’s seems the perfect place to gather & bitch gossip about your neighbors

by Anonymousreply 17March 2, 2021 2:25 AM

And in Arizona they were essential before Air Conditioning.........An Arizona room is a semi-outdoor recreational room found frequently in homes in Arizona, based on similar concepts as the Florida room. The room is often a patio that has been covered and screened-in, creating an outdoor feeling while preventing excessive heat and keeping insects and animals out. The room generally borders the back yard of the house and is often accessed directly from the living room, kitchen or other common room of the home.

According to a website run by Phoenix newspaper The Arizona Republic, residents slept in their Arizona room during the summer months, before the advent of air conditioning, because the flow of cool night air made them more comfortable than in an enclosed bedroom. Wikipedia

Arizona rooms are often decorated with Southwestern decor and furniture, and reflect the casual, informal style characteristic of the Southwest.

by Anonymousreply 18March 2, 2021 2:42 AM

I actually live in Florida and HATE Florida rooms. A dated creation of home builders from the north who thought sitting in unairconditioned spaces with lots of windows in Florida is pleasant. Its not. Its like sitting in a greenhouse most of the year.

A huge waste of precious square feet if its a condo in South Florida, most people nowadays have them completely enclosed upon purchasing the home if its an older one.

by Anonymousreply 19March 2, 2021 3:12 AM

Does Florida Man have a Florida room?

by Anonymousreply 20March 2, 2021 3:15 AM

Here is a stylish, modern Florida room for the newly retired eldergays coming our way!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 2, 2021 3:30 AM

It is properly called a conservatory.

I believe a Florida room is a shack out back where you make meth.

by Anonymousreply 22March 2, 2021 3:39 AM

Many Southerns have a screened in terrace or porch area to avoid the mosquitos.

by Anonymousreply 23March 2, 2021 3:41 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 2, 2021 3:49 AM

My grandma had one that was jalousies on 3 side .The long thin slat ones. It was perfect for her plants ,and a ceiling fan kept it tolerable during the summer. I loved curling up out there in a big wicker chair reading a book while surrounded by all that beauty. I was heartbroken when she sold that house. I hadnt thought about that room in 20 years,brought back some lovely memories .

by Anonymousreply 25March 2, 2021 4:07 AM

I grew up in Florida for part of my youth. I suppose in the 50s or early 60s they were like sunrooms and I did see some in older homes but ours was just a big family room where the stereo, piano, and TV were. We had very heavy sliding glass doors into the room and when I shut the doors I could blare the stereo really loud and you could not hear it through those glass doors at all.

The only jalousie windows we had in our house were on the door from the kitchen to the patio and the door to the carport. It was a midcentury home with a slanted roof and some rooms had windows to the floor.

by Anonymousreply 26March 2, 2021 4:31 AM

I've never heard the term Florida Room before. We always called it a Sun Room.

by Anonymousreply 27March 2, 2021 5:16 AM

I grew up in the subtropics where the old colonial houses had an inner core of cool dark rooms (like pitch black!), and an outer core of lighter rooms, and then the enclosed verandahs with beautiful coloured glass and wooden louvers. They were so broad and extensive in my grandmother's house we used to play badminton (shuttlecock and battledore) on them in the long afternoons in the deep golden light. Happy days!

by Anonymousreply 28March 2, 2021 5:37 AM

I always heard a Florida Room was a euphemism for an outhouse.

by Anonymousreply 29March 2, 2021 9:17 AM

I bought a small 2 bedroom 1bath house several years ago as a summer house. I did some major renovations and additions which included turning the attached carport into a Florida room. It's my favorite space in the house. No jalousie windows though. I hate those things.

by Anonymousreply 30March 2, 2021 10:29 AM

I remember when each "Florida room" had these bizarre jalousie windows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31March 2, 2021 10:40 AM

R23, it confuses me why northerners don't have screened-in porches to avoid mosquitoes and other bugs. They are absolutely rife up here in summer.

by Anonymousreply 32March 2, 2021 10:45 AM

When my parents were gone and I inherited the family home one of the first things I did before putting it up for lease was replace all the jalousie windows on the service porch with solid glass panes. Those jalousie windows were a pain in the ass anyway. The door even had them.

by Anonymousreply 33March 2, 2021 10:48 AM

Hey, Jalousie.

by Anonymousreply 34March 2, 2021 10:52 AM

My grandmother had a sun PARLOR.

by Anonymousreply 35March 2, 2021 10:53 AM

Why are they called Jalousie blinds. Surely opprobrium blinds would be more appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 36March 2, 2021 11:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!