Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The movie “Idiocracy”

Watched it again. Who knew it was actually a future documentary about the USA?

by Anonymousreply 22June 15, 2022 7:08 AM

Mike Judge was sadly prescient.

by Anonymousreply 1March 1, 2021 1:25 PM

I couldn't muster a laugh while watching it for that very reason, OP. I knew it was the truth.

by Anonymousreply 2March 1, 2021 2:14 PM

I don't understand why Idiocracy didn't become a classic like Office Space. Yes, R1, Mike Judge had a strong sense of the future and it was unfortunately sad.

by Anonymousreply 3March 1, 2021 2:17 PM

It didn't help that the studio buried the movie. I think it played for a weekend in Atlanta. And that's after they cut it to shreds and demanded a voice-over.

by Anonymousreply 4March 1, 2021 2:19 PM

One of the best movies I've ever seen -- even the execrable Luke Wilson was excellent. Maya Rudolph was perfect.

But it's also scary -- basically, it's the roadmap from Trump to much worse than Trump.

by Anonymousreply 5March 1, 2021 2:20 PM

I remember watching it when it came out in 2006 and thought , nah, it can’t get THAT bad. FFWD to election 2020 and here we are.

by Anonymousreply 6March 1, 2021 2:43 PM

Mike Judge grew up in Texas. He has always been painfully aware of the direction the US was headed in.

by Anonymousreply 7March 1, 2021 3:01 PM

Super Sad True Story is pretty spot-on, too.

by Anonymousreply 8March 1, 2021 3:03 PM

R7 HUH?? Texas is known for forward thinking? OMG, you are delusional.

by Anonymousreply 9March 1, 2021 3:21 PM

Is R9 drunk or dumb?

by Anonymousreply 10March 1, 2021 3:24 PM

I have sent the opening clip to more people than I can count. Nothing else explains the Donnie fans as well. As this.

by Anonymousreply 11March 1, 2021 3:30 PM

R9 does not understand things.

by Anonymousreply 12March 1, 2021 3:35 PM

R9 = reading with comprehension is tough!

by Anonymousreply 13March 1, 2021 3:37 PM

R9 drinks Brawndo.

by Anonymousreply 14March 1, 2021 3:40 PM

R9’s favorite show is, Ow My Balls.

by Anonymousreply 15March 1, 2021 3:44 PM

Fox was the studio. When they saw the rough cut and just how mean it was, and then I think it also tested poorly against the idiots that go to film testings because they were the subjects of the film. Also, I think the brands got pissy - Starbucks offering handjobs, etc.

I think the most prescient political commentary this century. Did we really expect it was going to be Disney's Tomorrowland around these fellow Americans?

by Anonymousreply 16March 1, 2021 3:47 PM

It should be required watching in schools.

by Anonymousreply 17March 1, 2021 11:24 PM

This movie and Southland Tales (although it's terrible).

by Anonymousreply 18March 2, 2021 8:46 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 15, 2022 6:45 AM

If only we could choose Not Sure for President in 2024. Even Frito would be an improvement over what we'll have to choose from.

by Anonymousreply 20June 15, 2022 6:59 AM

It's a great movie and very prescient social commentary. I would like it to be a series, something like Handmaids Tale but done as a dark comedy.

by Anonymousreply 21June 15, 2022 7:05 AM

Similar to "Idiocracy" is "God Bless America" a 2011 action black comedy film written and directed by Bobcat Goldthwait. Combining elements of political satire with dark humor, the film stars Joel Murray and Tara Lynne Barr as a middle-aged man and a teenage girl who go on a killing spree after bonding over their disgust of what U.S. culture has become in a post-9/11 world.

by Anonymousreply 22June 15, 2022 7:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!