Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Merchant-Ivory movies are dull. Prove me wrong.

I’ve not seen every last one of them but in my experience they’re extraordinarily tedious and uninteresting.

Are any of them not boring? If so please cite them.

by Anonymousreply 45March 14, 2021 5:08 PM

A Room with a View.

If you don’t like this I can’t help you.

by Anonymousreply 1March 1, 2021 5:34 AM

I think I may have seen that r1 but if so I have no recollection of it.

I’ll tell you what, I’ll give it a try this week. You know, it might have been that theirs really big decade was mid 80s to mid 90s and I was in my 20s-30s then. But I recall literally falling asleep during several of their films.

by Anonymousreply 2March 1, 2021 5:39 AM

“Their really big decade”

by Anonymousreply 3March 1, 2021 5:40 AM

The one who didn't die outed himself as a pedo with that CMBYN crap.

by Anonymousreply 4March 1, 2021 5:42 AM

Yes, you may appreciate it more now.

It’s got Maggie Smith, the spectacular Italian countryside, the gorgeous Julian Sands, funny side characters, young love...what’s not to like?

Try to post after you watch it.

by Anonymousreply 5March 1, 2021 5:49 AM

I thought their movies were really hit or miss, and can't deny a few were sleep-inducing (including "The Wild Party", in spite of its title).

I stayed awake through and really liked "Mr. and Mrs. Bridge" and "The Remains of the Day", and, like others on the thread, enjoyed "A Room with a View". One of their earliest movies, "Shakespeare Wallah", is pretty interesting too, and "Maurice" isn't perfect, but I didn't find it dull.

by Anonymousreply 6March 1, 2021 5:57 AM

We can't "prove you wrong"--if you find them dull, you find them dull. None of us gives a shit whether you like them or not.

by Anonymousreply 7March 1, 2021 5:58 AM

They're like Altman - the films can be very erratic, but I love digging through them anyway. A Room with a View and Maurice will always have a very large place in my heart.

by Anonymousreply 8March 1, 2021 6:01 AM

The Deceivers - It features a young Pierce Brosnan as well as Keith Michell. It's about the East India Company versus the Thuggee. I admit a weakness for Brosnan, but I found it a suspenseful adventure movie..

by Anonymousreply 9March 2, 2021 12:25 AM

[quote] None of us gives a shit whether you like them or not.

Clearly you’re a master of not paying attention.

by Anonymousreply 10March 2, 2021 12:39 AM

Howard’s End is my favorite... even though there’s a few plot/cultural points that annoy me.

I want to watch The Golden Bowl again. As I remember it, the film wasn’t super engrossing but it does have a remarkable cast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 2, 2021 12:43 AM

Slaves of New York was delightfully horrible! Bernadette peters as a quirky hat designer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 9, 2021 4:04 AM

The purpose of Merchant-Ivory films was to look at beautiful boys in pretty scenery. Plot and character were secondary concerns.

by Anonymousreply 13March 9, 2021 4:06 AM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 9, 2021 4:08 AM

[quote]Slaves of New York was delightfully horrible! Bernadette peters as a quirky hat designer.

Do you know how difficult it was to make Tama Janowitz and 1980s New York City come across as dull? Not just anyone can achieve that.

by Anonymousreply 15March 9, 2021 4:08 AM

Why do we need to prove anything to you? Everyone has their opinions about things...if you don’t like something you’re not required to explain why and the same thing goes if you like something.

Some of their movies are very good; others less so.

Now, here’s a dollar....go watch a Star War.

by Anonymousreply 16March 9, 2021 4:16 AM

OP, some of them are boring.

That one with the dreary Lee Remick was boring. But Ivory was making the point that country life in the 1820s was boring.

Console yourself with the thought that some of those films will find your sympathy when you rewatch it in 20 or 40 years time!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 9, 2021 4:18 AM

Maurice, The Remains of the Day and Mr. and Mrs. Bridge are good films and sometimes you have to be in the right frame of mind to appreciate. The Remains of the Day is low key, heart rending and in its own quiet way shattering. I watched it on HBO a few years back and was quite surprised at how good it was and I saw Maurice and Mr. and Mrs. Bridge in theaters at the time of their release and liked both of them.

by Anonymousreply 18March 9, 2021 4:19 AM

lots of penis though

that's why I used to stay up late to watch them on HBO as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 19March 9, 2021 4:27 AM

Judi Dench said that she filmed a mad scene for "Room With A View." Did that footage ever turn up?

by Anonymousreply 20March 9, 2021 4:31 AM

Stephen Frears once referred to them as the "Laura Ashley school of filmmaking" and the "rattling of teacups."

by Anonymousreply 21March 9, 2021 4:47 AM

R21 One could say the same for Stephen Frears' The Queen which I like.

by Anonymousreply 22March 13, 2021 8:22 PM

CMBYN has been discussed enough.

Maurice is extremely important as a landmark and warhorse of gay cinema. Plus Forster would have creamed himself if he could’ve seen the beautiful Rupert Graves as Scudder give that twink ass to the repressed Maurice.

I’ve also loved Howards End, both for the divine main theme using Grainger’s Bridal Lullaby and the delicate way Thompson’s complicated relationship with Hopkins is portrayed. He’s definitely an a-hole, but she actually does love him, despite his problematic views, and her sister’s escapades.

And Remains is a lovely exploration of our capacity to be comfortable with our station in life. As someone who never wants to rock the boat, I related heavily with Hopkin’s character.

The other films I’ve yet to see.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 13, 2021 9:18 PM

Katharine Hepburn said all Merchant-Ivory movies were a "bore"

by Anonymousreply 24March 13, 2021 9:18 PM

R24 That assertion might be credible if you told us when Hepburn ALLEGEDLY made that assertion.

by Anonymousreply 25March 13, 2021 10:13 PM

[quote]Maurice is extremely important as a landmark and warhorse of gay cinema. Plus Forster would have creamed himself if he could’ve seen the beautiful Rupert Graves as Scudder give that twink ass to the repressed Maurice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 14, 2021 1:31 AM

[quote] That assertion might be credible if you told us when Hepburn ALLEGEDLY made that assertion.

In her official biography written by Pulitzer Prize-winning biographer A. Scott Berg

Hepburn told Berg

" found Merchant-Ivory films a bore."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27March 14, 2021 1:36 AM

[quote] The one who didn't die outed himself as a pedo with that CMBYN crap.

You are so full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 28March 14, 2021 2:29 AM

[quote] Why do we need to prove anything to you?

🙄

by Anonymousreply 29March 14, 2021 2:36 AM

R24 says the woman who did the exact same thing on screen for 50 years.

by Anonymousreply 30March 14, 2021 3:19 AM

Thank you, R26 ❤️

by Anonymousreply 31March 14, 2021 3:26 AM

They gave me Perry King nude. Bless them.

by Anonymousreply 32March 14, 2021 3:39 AM

For the most part, yes I think the movies are dull. But...that boathouse scene between Scudder and Maurice is one of the hottest and romantic scenes I've ever seen in a movie, gay or straight.

by Anonymousreply 33March 14, 2021 5:41 AM

Howards End is one of the most accurate depictions of the class system in Britain, it's as true now as it was then. It's beautifully written and the cast is perfect. Even posh boy Sam West is great as poor put upon Leonard Bast.

The Remains Of The Day is beautiful and covers a part of British history left largely untouched - the aristocracy's flirtation with Hitler and its hostility to Jews.

I also have a soft spot for Le Divorce. A fun movie with a great cast - Kate Hudson has never been better as a vapid and materialistic woman. Naomi Watts, Stockard Channing, Glenn Close and Bebe Neuwirth are great alongside their French counterparts including the lovely Melvil Poupaud.

by Anonymousreply 34March 14, 2021 9:39 AM

Maurice is in my top 10 of the best films ever made, alongside films like La Dolce Vita, Terminator 2, Paris Texas, Alphaville and Alien. Are they objectively and technically the most perfect films ever made? Maybe not but they've left a huge and practically life-changing impression on me. And Maurice definitely is one of the most important ones for me.

[quote]The purpose of Merchant-Ivory films was to look at beautiful boys in pretty scenery. Plot and character were secondary concerns.

The first time I saw Maurice I sobbed and cried for half an hour when the credits started rolling. Anyone claiming that plot and characters don't matter in Maurice are full of shit. However I do agree that generally Merchant/Ivory films set in the British past tend to so lovingly show the characters follow the societal rules that people really seem almost interchangeable. Still, their films create tension when showing the human side of those characters and have them break the rules, and from all of their films Maurice goes the farthest in that.

by Anonymousreply 35March 14, 2021 10:17 AM

Are we not telling OP about Freddy, George, and Mr. Beene cavorting nude in Room with a View?

by Anonymousreply 36March 14, 2021 10:27 AM

I’m sorry, the was Freddy, George, and Rev. Beebe.

by Anonymousreply 37March 14, 2021 10:30 AM

The Remains Of The Day was brilliant apart from a miscast Emma Thompson

by Anonymousreply 38March 14, 2021 10:46 AM

I've liked the ones I've watched. They have a certain feel about them - like you'd know you were watching a Merchant/Ivory production if you didn't know beforehand. Like Spike Lee's films, their way of producing the film is particular to them.

by Anonymousreply 39March 14, 2021 11:50 AM

R13 precisely.

There is a gay-interest genre in Japanese, Korean, Thai, and Taiwanese film with the same M.O., called BL (short for ‘boys love’—no, not referring to pederasty).

These films are all fairly cheaply made unlike the sumptuous prestige look of Merchant-Ivory, and their source material tends to me more contemporary and less literary, but the formula of ‘pretty people in fraught and sometimes-homoerotic relationships+romantic sentimental score+yearning cinematography’ is the same.

Some are highly enjoyable as guilty pleasures. My personal favourites are a few of the original Japanese genre-codifiers: AI NO KOTODAMA (2008, eng: WORDS OF DEVOTION); ITSUKA NO KIMI E (2007, eng: SOMEDAY, YOU), and; NATSUYASUMI NO YOU NA IKKAGETSU (2008, eng: ONE MONTH LIKE A SUMMER VACATION).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40March 14, 2021 1:39 PM

OP loves "The Avengers."

How cute.

by Anonymousreply 41March 14, 2021 1:52 PM

WHERE ANGELS FEAR TO TREAD is the most Merchant-Ivory film NOT made by them. Truly delightful with a stellar cast including Rupert Graves, Helen Mirren, Helena Bonham-Carter, Judy Davis and the hunky young Italian Giovanni Guidelli. Gorgeous Tuscan scenery, exquisite costumes. Directed by Charles Sturridge and based on the novel by EM Forster.

by Anonymousreply 42March 14, 2021 2:03 PM

Without Forster, there wouldn’t really be a Merchant-Ivory.

by Anonymousreply 43March 14, 2021 2:23 PM

R38

I'm assuming you're serious and not being sarcastic, so I'm wondering who you would have cast instead of Emma Thompson? I thought she was brilliant, but tastes vary. I may be blinded by her indelible attachment to the character in my mind, but I can't think of another actress that would have done a better job.

I think I remember reading that Meryl Streep desperately wanted the role and there was some brouhaha about her not getting it - maybe that she fired an agent - maybe that she thought Mike Nichols (producer) should have given it to her and Nichols told her she wasn't right for the part. I'll have to go look that up. BUT - I like Streep generally but I see her chewing the scenery in that movie and over powering the delicacy of the character.

Other opinions?

I still scratch my head about all the Academy Awards it DIDN'T win. Maybe I'm not a proper judge though, since, generally, I adore Merchant-Ivory films.

If I think of the best movies I've ever seen, 'Maurice', 'Remains of the Day', 'Howards End', and 'Room with a View' are all on the list. I think they are all, arguably, perfect films.

by Anonymousreply 44March 14, 2021 2:57 PM

r44, you're correct about Meryl and it's covered in the great new Mike Nichols bio.

Mike was originally going to direct the film (he owned the rights) and had hoped to reunite Meryl and Jeremy Irons in it, but because of scheduling, it didn't happen quickly enough and, in the meantime, Mike had developed a close friendship with Emma (can't remember quite where that started....it wasn't on a film), who's career was on fire. Mike remained as exec producer but didn't direct the film, IMHO a good thing. That film as it stands is damn near perfect in every way and so exquisitely true to the great novel.

And Meryl ultimately fired her longtime agent Sam Cohn over losing the role though she was obviously smart enough to keep making nice with Mike.

by Anonymousreply 45March 14, 2021 5:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!