Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Pluto

Why did its status as a planet go down the shitter?

by Anonymousreply 17March 1, 2021 6:21 AM

It’s not a planet.

by Anonymousreply 1March 1, 2021 5:13 AM

Not this again.

by Anonymousreply 2March 1, 2021 5:16 AM

It's smaller than the moon (Earth's moon, that is). I'm honestly amazed that anyone could even discover it in 1930. Respect for what it is, but it's not a planet.

by Anonymousreply 3March 1, 2021 5:17 AM

This is a plot to erase Venetia Burney and nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 4March 1, 2021 5:19 AM

It's that much older now, and things shrink as they get older.

by Anonymousreply 5March 1, 2021 5:20 AM

To answer OP's question more directly - astronomers started to realize that there were many other bodies in the solar system with Pluto's general characteristics, and rather than call all of them planets, they demoted Pluto. Also, Pluto's orbit is just too erratic. We do need minimal standards.

by Anonymousreply 6March 1, 2021 5:22 AM

Venus creeps me out

by Anonymousreply 7March 1, 2021 5:23 AM

It’s a sphere. It has moons. It’s a planet.

by Anonymousreply 8March 1, 2021 5:24 AM

Our planet is going to end up like Venus if we’re not careful

by Anonymousreply 9March 1, 2021 5:25 AM

Is it just the largest chunk in the asteroid belt or what?

by Anonymousreply 10March 1, 2021 5:25 AM

Venus is beautiful and dangerous. A true femme fatale.

by Anonymousreply 11March 1, 2021 5:25 AM

Pluto is still just as potent in astrological charts. The U.S.A. is undergoing a Pluto return as we speak. Pluto will kick your ass wherever it shows up.

by Anonymousreply 12March 1, 2021 5:26 AM

Ask Dr. Tyson...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 1, 2021 5:29 AM

I ran into Pluto on MainStreet at Disneyland a couple of years ago and told him that I was rootin’ for him to get his planet back. He just waved at me—I’m not sure he understood but I felt good about it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 14March 1, 2021 5:38 AM

For R10 - not in the asteroid belt, though there are asteroids that qualify as dwarf planets. It's a Trans-Neptunian object, of which there are several and several yet to be discovered, no doubt. Pluto is the gateway to what we have yet to learn about the solar system and the universe, I give it that much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 1, 2021 5:46 AM

“Pluto: Why did its status as a planet go down the shitter?”

We threatened copyright infringement. Pluto is ours.

by Anonymousreply 16March 1, 2021 5:47 AM

Because Uranus is an insatiable bottom.

by Anonymousreply 17March 1, 2021 6:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!