Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Watching Doc Martin

Good Lord Cornwall is picturesque. Whose been?

by Anonymousreply 29March 2, 2021 8:35 PM

Am I the only one wo finds the constable (Joe?) hot?

by Anonymousreply 1March 1, 2021 4:44 AM

He needs big dick pills

by Anonymousreply 2March 1, 2021 4:47 AM

Been to Cornwall a few times, it's a fairly typical UK holiday destination and does have some pretty scenery and cute villages. Never seen Doc Martin though, always thought it looked boring.

by Anonymousreply 3March 1, 2021 1:21 PM

That pig face.

So expressive.

by Anonymousreply 4March 1, 2021 1:35 PM

It's full of really old people, druggies and poverty.

by Anonymousreply 5March 1, 2021 1:37 PM

R1 - While I find the clueless Joe Penhale attractive, I'm more of an Al Large kinda guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 1, 2021 1:49 PM

Watching Doc Martin has made me want to visit Cornwall as well. I recently watched a decent movie on Netflix called Fisherman's Friends, which is set in the same village (Port Isaac) as the one featured Doc Martin. You may want to give it a watch, OP.

by Anonymousreply 7March 1, 2021 1:52 PM

Flyover gay here. I really found myself engrossed in this show. I miss it. I liked all the character's , even the good Dr, himself.

by Anonymousreply 8March 1, 2021 1:55 PM

Never been to Cornwall; however, I do love the show.

The Brits have several comedy shows that are quite endearing.

by Anonymousreply 9March 1, 2021 1:59 PM

I loved the original All Creatures Great & Small for the beautiful villages and farmlands. Yes, Doc Martin's location is beautiful. There was a PBS special about fans visiting the village; the cast and crew were very accommodating to them.

by Anonymousreply 10March 1, 2021 2:05 PM

Shit, this might finally make me break down and watch.

Have been meaning to try this and also the Tango in Halifax thingy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 1, 2021 2:10 PM

R11 The Tango in Halifax "thingy" is also very good!

by Anonymousreply 12March 1, 2021 2:11 PM

R12 sorry, I was being a bit flip - but it does look very good.

As with any serialized story I just need to go back to the beginning.....a lot to watch!

by Anonymousreply 13March 1, 2021 2:13 PM

[quote]While I find the clueless Joe Penhale attractive, I'm more of an Al Large kinda guy.

I find Al very hot as well.

by Anonymousreply 14March 1, 2021 2:17 PM

"Whose been"

Seriously -- does anyone on Datalounge speak English anymore?

by Anonymousreply 15March 1, 2021 2:21 PM

sorry "whose bin"?

by Anonymousreply 16March 1, 2021 2:23 PM

Hiss!

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

by Anonymousreply 17March 1, 2021 2:29 PM

So many British shows are set in Dorset, Devon, and Cornwall.

I want to visit when traveling opens up again.

by Anonymousreply 18March 1, 2021 2:32 PM

BTW the series was preceded by two films - Doc Martin and Doc Martin and the Legend of the Cloutie - which had a different set of characters and with Martin being a nice obstetrician. The location was the same.

[quote]The Brits have several comedy shows that are quite endearing.

My personal favorite is Mum. . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19March 1, 2021 2:40 PM

My mum went to school with Martin Clunes. She said he was nice, quiet and a bit awkward. She still can’t fathom how someone so retiring became a major actor.

by Anonymousreply 20March 1, 2021 2:50 PM

I believe Clunes originated his character in "Saving Grace"; in the movie he was a hoot, very funny and extraverted. Don't know why they stiffened him up for Doc Martin. But I enjoy him, either way. He also comes across as incredibly charming and kind in interviews and on-set meetings.

by Anonymousreply 21March 1, 2021 3:05 PM

Doc Martin is one of my favorite shows, ever. It's perfect for these times; it's funny, kind, the characters are good people, and it lowers your blood pressure. I watch them over and over. I could talk about its virtues for an entire thread. Have we ever had a thread that was pure Doc Martin?

Anyway...

...there's an episode when Joe Penhale thinks he has testicular cancer. I've tried to find what episode it is or even a pic to share here. But there's a shot of John Marquez in the shower checking his balls and he looks REALLY good. Beautiful hairy chest. There is a later funny shot of Doc Martin on his knees checking out Joe's balls (Joe dropped his pants) in a public toilet and some random guy comes into the public toilet and silently regards what he thinks he sees and quickly turns and exits.

And "Saving Grace' was also filmed in Port Issac and it's fun to see all the familiar Doc Martin locations.

The 10th and final season was to be filmed in 2021. Don't know if it was finished or when it will be broadcast.

by Anonymousreply 22March 1, 2021 3:29 PM

They deliberately only shoot in the picturesque spots of Cornwall on the show. They do that on a lot of British shows. You never see a traffic choked highway on these UK shows that are being marketed to an international audience — instead, you see an antique Range Rover driving down an empty, bucolic road in Yorkshire, flanked by farmland. You see cliffs overlooking a tiny, round sandy beach with ocean looking calm & serene. You see sunny days, not endless dreary drizzle. I have t watched Midsomer Murders in a long time but they always had bird sounds added to the track. Some of the birds were wrong — they had guinea fowl calling at night. Guineas sleep in treetops at night. They always had an owl doing “hoo-hoo, HOO.” Emphatically. Last Tango is definitely a landscape-and-decor show. They had Jillian’s rustic farmhouse and Caroline’s contemporary stone mini-manor. I saw they got rid of Caroline’s nice, upper income house & made her move to a rustic place, too, which is very un-Caroline, but I think they wanted to de-yuppify her character to make her more sympathetic to the working class.

by Anonymousreply 23March 1, 2021 4:00 PM

Penhale is def hot as fuck. I remember that shower scene and sitting up and thinking "hello".

by Anonymousreply 24March 1, 2021 4:15 PM

This is O/T, but I had never thought about de-yuppifying Caroline's character. Hmm. Why would they do that if one of the angles of the show was the juxtaposition - or stark opposites - of the personalities of Jillian and Caroline?

But there were reasons she sold the (gorgeous) mini-manor, as you call it; she needed the money from the sale (part of which I think was owed to ex-husband John) and she had also moved to a different school that was far from where she had been living, and I daresay, her character had changed over time. Though I admit that the first time I saw Caroline's rustic abode I thought it was absolutely out of character.

by Anonymousreply 25March 1, 2021 4:19 PM

A most adorable little village setting, filled with equally lovable eccentric characters. I love "Doc Martin."

"Death in Paradise" has its moments, too, particularly the Kris Marshall (Tom on "Sanditon") years.

For now, I'm binge-watching Canada's "Murdoch Mysteries."

by Anonymousreply 26March 1, 2021 4:55 PM

"The Trouble with Maggie Cole" is also set in a very picturesque SW English town.

Unfortunately, it's not a very good show.

by Anonymousreply 27March 1, 2021 5:19 PM

A friend of mine thought Doc Martin was the studliest stud that ever stud-ded.

I thought he was one of the most potato faced people I'd ever laid eyes on

by Anonymousreply 28March 2, 2021 7:19 PM

Who is Lord Cornwall and is he really so handsome as to be described as picarasque?

by Anonymousreply 29March 2, 2021 8:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!