Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dr. Seuss About to Be Canceled?

Learning for Justice, a project of the Southern Poverty Law Center, is alerting educators that "Dr. Seuss has a history of racial baggage that educators should understand when introducing his writing to their students." Even Seuss' The Sneetches is not as anti-racist as was once thought:

"The solution to the story’s conflict is that the Plain-Belly Sneetches and Star-Bellied Sneetches simply get confused as to who is oppressed. As a result, they accept one another. This message of “acceptance” does not acknowledge structural power imbalances. It doesn’t address the idea that historical narratives impact present-day power structures. And instead of encouraging young readers to recognize and take action against injustice, the story promotes a race-neutral approach

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170March 6, 2021 9:33 AM

Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 1February 28, 2021 4:26 PM

All these critical race theory people are freaks.

by Anonymousreply 2February 28, 2021 4:26 PM

[quote]This message of “acceptance” does not acknowledge structural power imbalances. It doesn’t address the idea that historical narratives impact present-day power structures. And instead of encouraging young readers to recognize and take action against injustice, the story promotes a race-neutral approach

Go fuck yourself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 28, 2021 4:31 PM

Ha! You haters said I peaked with my Youtube video. Look at me now — I'm a fucking SPLC spokesmodel, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 4February 28, 2021 4:32 PM

Theodore Geisel was Antifa in the 1940s.

by Anonymousreply 5February 28, 2021 4:40 PM

[quote] This message of “acceptance” does not acknowledge structural power imbalances.

I wanted to acknowledge this in the book, but I couldn't think of anything to rhyme with "structural" or "imbalances."

by Anonymousreply 6February 28, 2021 4:42 PM

Republicans are going to win every election for the next decade if this shit keeps up

by Anonymousreply 7February 28, 2021 4:44 PM

I will NOT give up my Narragansett tray!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 28, 2021 4:51 PM

Ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 9February 28, 2021 4:52 PM

If you're teaching little kids about racism, it makes perfect sense. Of course it's easier to have feelings about so-called cancel culture.

by Anonymousreply 10February 28, 2021 4:55 PM

‘Dr. Seuss’ by Amanda Gorman

Some say our movement is aloof

We are just here to get power and clout

That if you read our word salad you will see proof

But that I want to take down Whitey I have no doubt

When we get past the glass ceiling there is no roof

Equality is the ruse

When we have the power we’ll keep the route

Let them cook in their own juice

Just like we are about to do to Dr. Seuss

by Anonymousreply 11February 28, 2021 4:56 PM

I don’t give a fuck if Dr Seuss was secretly a cannibal. The Lorax was the first book that made me aware of the environment and nature, which I care about desperately today. Instead of canceling people, maybe we could look at what good they brought into the world.

by Anonymousreply 12February 28, 2021 5:02 PM

There's nothing about "canceling" Dr. Seuss in that article, which appeared two years ago on a site for educators.

by Anonymousreply 13February 28, 2021 5:06 PM

They’re forgetting about the villain in that book: Sylvester McMonkey McBean, the capitalist who swindles them out of their money.

The Sneetches is as much about corporate greed as it is about racism.

by Anonymousreply 14February 28, 2021 5:16 PM

SPLC is right about this. The Sneetch story's conceit as that the two "races" are on equal footing.

All SPLC is asking educators to do is introduce some more context into teaching about racism (that one group could possibly be in a position of power over the other) that Dr. Seuss didn't. They're not calling to ban his books.

by Anonymousreply 15February 28, 2021 5:20 PM

Dr. Seuss’ wife and writing partner who was greatly responsible for his success was Helen Palmer, who was suffering from a decades long delineating disease that was slowly killing her. To add insult to injury her husband was having an affair with the wife of a neighbor right in front of her when she committed suicide by downing a very large number of barbiturates. The neighbor, Audrey, divorced her husband and married him in short order and set about erasing the existence of the first Mrs. Dr. Seuss. Her daughter from the first marriage inherited the billion dollar Seuss legacy and controls the estate and all the publishing rights, which is why there is an endless money grab to wring every cent out of anything Seuss did with no eye to quality or appropriateness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16February 28, 2021 5:20 PM

^^^ debilitating.

by Anonymousreply 17February 28, 2021 5:21 PM

Theodore Geisel was a complicated man, warts and all. In college he wrote satiric minstrel shows and performed in blackface. Yet throughout his life even in the 1940s he was advocating for blacks to have equal civil rights. However it was also in the ‘40s that he advanced racial stereotypes of Asians, including Japanese-Americans. He publicly called for JA’s to be put into concentration camps and did propaganda cartoons showing Japanese to be vermin that should be exterminated, similar to what Nazi propaganda did with Jews, complete with caricature features. It wasn’t until the 50s when he toured Japan and saw the devastation of the rebuilding nation that he made somewhat of an indirect apology in Horton Hears a Who! But he never came out and apologized for his war propaganda efforts.

by Anonymousreply 18February 28, 2021 5:46 PM

Troll-P, you've done a good job of pouring gasoline on the fire, taking an old article out of context and presenting it as saying something it most clearly does not. No one is calling for Dr Seuss to be cancelled, and rightly so.

The article put it well: we must deal with racial baggage. And that includes the article's conclusion, that we need not discard Seuss' books but rather review and present them in light of what we now know, for what they are.

by Anonymousreply 19February 28, 2021 7:15 PM

[quote] The Sneetch story's conceit as that the two "races" are on equal footing.

Yes, but more, it’s about how those two groups are taught to hate each other by the robber barons who just want to grift their money from them.

by Anonymousreply 20February 28, 2021 7:23 PM

R19 The only reason the author finds for not burning the books is that would be bad for the environment.

by Anonymousreply 21February 28, 2021 7:36 PM

R21, [italic]that's[/italic] what you took from the article? You should go join the "defund green eggs and ham menu" movement.

Are you the Troll-P?

by Anonymousreply 22February 28, 2021 7:47 PM

Dr. Seuss was a pretty gross human being.

But, talk about ad hominem attacks - their assessment of his books is laughable.

by Anonymousreply 23February 28, 2021 7:56 PM

"It's Time to Talk about".....no. It's time to go fuck yourself, author of this article.

by Anonymousreply 24February 28, 2021 8:01 PM

Meanwhile, other cultural icons are targeted for 'modern' refreshes: On Friday it was reported that Mr. Potato Head had gone gender neutral as toy maker Hasbro announced it is changing the branding of the 70-year-old figure because it needs to break free from gender norms.

The change will drop the 'Mr.' from Mr. Potato Head.

I guess now it's just Potato.

by Anonymousreply 25February 28, 2021 8:13 PM

[quote] I guess now it's just Potato.

They had to take out "head" because it reminded too many frauish parents of oral sex. I'm sure.

by Anonymousreply 26February 28, 2021 8:14 PM

Green Eggs and Ham was speciesist, anti-Semitic and Islamophobic. I do not like it in my safe space.

by Anonymousreply 27February 28, 2021 8:34 PM

Actually, if you want to complain about Green Eggs and Ham, a case could be made that it’s pro-stalker

Sam-I-am needs to learn how to take the word “no” for an answer

by Anonymousreply 28February 28, 2021 8:40 PM

R12 same here. That book was published in 1971. It was prophetic and I never forgot it.

by Anonymousreply 29February 28, 2021 9:04 PM

No one said life was fair.

by Anonymousreply 30February 28, 2021 9:06 PM

The reason this is in the news is some school district in VA sent a letter to the teachers “providing guidance” about Seuss’s racism problem. “Provide guidance” meaning cancel him.

by Anonymousreply 31February 28, 2021 9:15 PM

[quote] But he never came out and apologized for his war propaganda efforts.

He can apologize when Japan apologizes for killing ten million people.

by Anonymousreply 32February 28, 2021 9:43 PM

When is it our turn to be cancelled?

Suess and Rowling get EVERYTHING!

It's NOT fair!

by Anonymousreply 33February 28, 2021 11:01 PM

His illustrations are ugly and vulgar. He couldn't draw.

by Anonymousreply 34February 28, 2021 11:06 PM

Doctor Seuss also wrote about torturing children with piano lessons and dressing people in endangers species.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35February 28, 2021 11:08 PM

Some here said yesterday that Stanley Kubrick was involved with "The 5,000 Fingers Of Dr. t".

Could that be so?

by Anonymousreply 36February 28, 2021 11:09 PM

R32 you’re so clever with that zinger, I guess that’s what happens when you visit Breitbart and other deplorable websites too often.

by Anonymousreply 37February 28, 2021 11:39 PM

[quote] He publicly called for JA’s to be put into concentration camps

President Roosevelt demanded that every American practise 'Total War' after the Japanese slaughtered Americans at Pearl harbor.

And he decreed JA’s were to be temporarily placed in containment camps for their protection from families of killed American servicemen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38March 1, 2021 12:01 AM

Titania McGrath wants Dr. Seuss to Be Canceled.

by Anonymousreply 39March 1, 2021 2:01 AM

Can’t wait until the cancelers cancel themselves by being such horrible bottoms!

by Anonymousreply 40March 1, 2021 2:10 AM

Titiana is hilarious, R40. But I can’t find any comments from her on Twitter about Seuss. Is it in “her” book?

by Anonymousreply 41March 1, 2021 2:49 AM

R1 said it all.

by Anonymousreply 42March 1, 2021 3:23 AM

Probably 2022 too, R1.

by Anonymousreply 43March 1, 2021 3:30 AM

R41 Titania McGrath knows what the American Social Justice warriors will think half a decade before they get around to doing so.

Titania is smart; she went to an English university.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44March 1, 2021 4:11 AM

Half a decade? Some of her predictions came true within months, sometimes weeks, after her tweets. One came true after four days!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45March 1, 2021 2:55 PM

This is the strangest criticism I've heard yet. They're talking about simple books for children, no? Not just a range of children, but young children. Who the hell is reading Suess beyond 1st grade? Certainly not seriously anyway -- point being, criticizing books for kindergartners for not using more "critical theory" when it comes to delving into complex structural oppression, is fucking insane.

The books aren't meant to be college lectures FFS. They are the most basic of moral lessons, which is a good place to start. The sneetches being representative of complex race issues is ridiculous as well -- no one should've ever claimed that's what it is a substitute for that-- it is the slightest of scratches on the surface when it comes to treating others poorly due to arbitrary differences.

If educators were trying to make it out to be more than what it is, that's on them for being so daft. I'd love to know which young childrens books do accomplish whatever they are talking about (hint none, because they're for fucking kindergartners!)

Academic leftists, please please please STFU for once, at least for the sake of the entire political party. You make us all look unhinged.

by Anonymousreply 46March 1, 2021 4:48 PM

What, no one here has seen Seuss's racist WWII cartoons or the one with a department store selling "niggers"?

People have been complaining about Seuss's early racist stuff for decades. What's with you guys, do you know this but ignore it so you can say "This is why Trump will win," which is about the dumbest damn thing you could say right now? Why?

by Anonymousreply 47March 1, 2021 4:51 PM

AP: Six Dr. Seuss books — including “And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street” and “If I Ran the Zoo” — will stop being published because of racist and insensitive imagery, the business that preserves and protects the author’s legacy said Tuesday.

The other books affected are “McElligot’s Pool,” “On Beyond Zebra!,” “Scrambled Eggs Super!,” and “The Cat’s Quizzer.”

“These books portray people in ways that are hurtful and wrong,” Dr. Seuss Enterprises told The Associated Press in a statement that coincided with the late author and illustrator’s birthday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48March 2, 2021 11:55 AM

Snowflakes everywhere. Dr. Seuss killed by an avalanche of snowflakes it seems.

by Anonymousreply 49March 2, 2021 12:28 PM

[quote] Six Dr Seuss books will no longer be published because of racist and insensitive imagery, the business that preserves the author's legacy has said. The six books are And to Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street, If I Ran the Zoo, McElligot's Pool, On Beyond Zebra!, Scrambled Eggs Super!, and The Cat's Quizzer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50March 2, 2021 6:35 PM

First they came for Uncle Remus,

Then they came for Kermit the Frog.

Now they're coming for my feline ass

Since they're hunting me like a dog.

by Anonymousreply 51March 2, 2021 6:39 PM

Now cancel this. I fucking dare you:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52March 2, 2021 6:40 PM

[quote]What, no one here has seen Seuss's racist WWII cartoons or the one with a department store selling "niggers"?

That was was 75 years ago.

No one gives a shit.

by Anonymousreply 53March 2, 2021 6:42 PM

Like Christianity itself, [italic]How The Grinch "Stole" Christmas[/italic] needs to be canceled for promoting Christian propaganda. How ironic he was accused of "stealing" Christmas when Christians stole it from pagans to begin with? Is it wrong to steal from a thief?

[quote]What, no one here has seen Seuss's racist WWII cartoons or the one with a department store selling [a word you can hear in hip-hop pretty much round the fucking clock]

Fixed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54March 2, 2021 6:42 PM

How the Goyim Stole Saturnalia

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55March 2, 2021 6:43 PM

R52, that is just... wow.

by Anonymousreply 56March 2, 2021 6:45 PM

The SPLC is the last one to point the finger at a dead man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57March 2, 2021 6:46 PM

It's really not that complicated:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58March 2, 2021 6:49 PM

The fact that they refuse to continue publishing those books is not good enough. That he wrote them at all makes everything else he did racist by association. There's no erasing the stench of his racist propaganda, and his books are just a form of get-off-my-backism.

Plus, he was German, so that makes him twice as racist as a racist WASP.

by Anonymousreply 59March 2, 2021 6:51 PM

I demand all German authors be canceled. Cancel the Grimm Brothers for writing this vile proto-Nazi propaganda:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60March 2, 2021 6:52 PM

Yawn, the books most likely to be banned by school libraries are LGBT themed books. And the people who complain about them are the same Republicans bitching about "cancel culture"

by Anonymousreply 61March 2, 2021 6:52 PM

R54 is a butthurt fundie Christian who probably boycotted the Dixie Chicks and Colin Kaepernick

by Anonymousreply 62March 2, 2021 6:53 PM

[quote] I don’t give a fuck if Dr Seuss was secretly a cannibal. The Lorax was the first book that made me aware of the environment and nature, which I care about desperately today. Instead of canceling people, maybe we could look at what good they brought into the world.

So he liked trees more than people. Big whoop. His widow sold his "legacy" out to Hollywood just the same and the movie version turned into a celebration of simping.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63March 2, 2021 6:57 PM

You're welcome, R1.

by Anonymousreply 64March 2, 2021 6:58 PM

R62 Colin's controversy got him millions in endorsements and license deals and a biopic. I think he's doing just fine.

by Anonymousreply 65March 2, 2021 7:01 PM

The woke eating the woke:

Two members of the Sustainable Madison Committee (SMC) resigned last week after another committee member said in a meeting, "God bless George Floyd."

The two criticized the statement as, "the typical well meaning white liberal kind of paternalistic type of racism. The implication (was) that white people got better, that (Floyd) served as a martyr for this country."

The offender apologized, but "She also resorted to it as an individual hurt, in saying sorry she hurt me, without an ability to see a wider level and see as what it was, racist behavior, racist mentality."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66March 2, 2021 7:05 PM

R65: Colin Kaputnik is a beneficiary of slave labor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67March 2, 2021 7:06 PM

[quote]the typical well meaning white liberal kind of paternalistic type of racism

There is no such thing. I'm tired of all the white liberal bashing. If it wasn't for white liberals, there would still be slavery, segregation, sodomy laws, and no universal suffrage. Stop attacking people who know what's best for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 68March 2, 2021 7:09 PM

Whites are the most progressive race and Malcolm X was just another racist Black man. This quote might have well been lifted straight out of a [italic]Jeffersons[/italic] rerun:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69March 2, 2021 7:11 PM

Never forget:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70March 2, 2021 7:13 PM

[quote] There's nothing about "canceling" Dr. Seuss in that article, which appeared two years ago on a site for educators.

[quote] No one is calling for Dr Seuss to be cancelled, and rightly so.

These posts didn’t age well.

by Anonymousreply 71March 2, 2021 7:34 PM

[quote] Who the hell is reading Suess beyond 1st grade?

They’re nice to crawl up with on a Saturday night.

by Anonymousreply 72March 2, 2021 7:35 PM

[quote] Some here said yesterday that Stanley Kubrick was involved with "The 5,000 Fingers Of Dr. t".

r36 that's close but not quite right. It was produced by High Noon, Judgment at Nuremberg, On the Beach, and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner.Stanley Kramer.

Note the Dr Seuss hand pointing the elevator floors. And now they want to send Dr Seuss to the dungeon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73March 2, 2021 7:42 PM

White liberals know more about what's best for Black people than Black conservatives do. If we need to cancel Black media to fight racism and reduce the number of Black faces on screen to only those white liberals are comfortable with, then so be it. Sometimes inclusion requires exclusion.

by Anonymousreply 74March 2, 2021 7:47 PM

Live news coverage this morning:

CNN: insurrection hearings

CBS: insurrection hearings

Fox: [bold]OMG DR. SEUSS IS CANCELLLLLED!![/bold]

by Anonymousreply 75March 2, 2021 7:56 PM

The 2003 movie version of [italic]The Cat in the Hat[/italic] is hands down the worst movie ever made with zero exceptions whatsoever. You can gladly cancel that. The 1971 TV cartoon was better but even that felt padded to get it into a half-hour running time in a way Chuck Jones' untouchable 1966 [italic]How The Grinch Stole Christmas![/italic] did not.

by Anonymousreply 76March 2, 2021 7:58 PM

Well....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77March 2, 2021 10:24 PM

I have been seeing this thread for days but thought it was too silly to read. Nope, I'm the silly one. I could have been running around to book stores and finding those books to sell on ebay. It turns out we did have one of the books on our office bookshelf. My husband grabbed that sucker and listed it for A LOT. He's mildly angry at me for not buying more of them when the kids where younger, "You really never liked Dr. Seuss!"

by Anonymousreply 78March 3, 2021 3:59 AM

It figures our DL Nazi contingent would echo the Fox News/Newsmax/GOP bullshit about Dr. Seuss being canceled.

by Anonymousreply 79March 3, 2021 5:34 AM

East Asian here. The images of East Asians he made are fine. They're cute, actually. Jesus, this is crazy.

Should we buy copies of the books, given they'll be rare?

by Anonymousreply 80March 3, 2021 1:37 PM

This is so wrong. Because of a tiny bit of content, it's being banned?! That's like Huckleberry Finn being banned for using the N-word; it's less, actually. Jesus. Can't they put a "this book has racist images" warning on the front cover, or blur out the offending images?

They're removing works of art by a famous artist because of offensive characters that make up just part of the works. Like it's deleted from our cultural inheritance, like it never existed. That's so wrong.

by Anonymousreply 81March 3, 2021 1:49 PM

This is one of the offending images - a Chinese boy with chopsticks. Jesus, it's fucking cute AF.

The critical race theory assholes are acting like we're an ethnicity that's "victimized" and "needs to be defended". Hate crimes, ok: we might need more policing with those. But NOT with this kind of thing.

Blame the ban on the other images - not on East Asian images like this. Fucking morons. I don't want to be associated with this "they're victims thing". I wasn't worked up about this at all, but now I'm really ticked off.

East Asians are not victims, for fuck's sake. It's embarrassing putting us in the same group as colonialism's losers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82March 3, 2021 1:56 PM

I guess my Dr. Suess collection just appreciated in value, then.

by Anonymousreply 83March 3, 2021 2:00 PM

SO once they've cleaned up everything from the past, how will anyone know they've been victimized?

by Anonymousreply 84March 3, 2021 2:01 PM

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but the impression I got wasn't that Dr. Seuss was being cancelled.

It's that "the business that preserves Dr. Seuss' legacy announced Tuesday that six of the celebrated author’s books for children will stop being published because of racist imagery."

In other words, it's only 6 books and it's being done by the business itself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85March 3, 2021 2:03 PM

This is how it begins.

by Anonymousreply 86March 3, 2021 2:06 PM

You are indeed misunderstanding r85. There’s no need to stop publishing any of his books let alone six. And if you think that this was an internal decision and not due to pressure from busybody activist groups, I have a bridge to sell you.

First it’s one book. Then it’s two. Then it’s an author’s entire bibliography. Then it’s the canon. Where does it end?

by Anonymousreply 87March 3, 2021 2:07 PM

R85, the business is no longer going to publish the books because of external pressure. Fine, it's a business decision, but whether that external pressure is reasonable is the question. Many say it's not.

It's like making Disney films with racially offensive imagery no longer available, period. They could accommodate woke sensibilities the way Disney has for 99.9% of its material (cf. Song of the South): put some kind of warning (Peter Pan), or edit the offending images (Fantasia).

It's just chipping away at our body of art. It's sick.

by Anonymousreply 88March 3, 2021 2:09 PM

It basically draining, drip by drip, the cultural wealth of our society.

Maybe dragging it down closer to other civilizations with far less still-existing cultural work product?

by Anonymousreply 89March 3, 2021 2:10 PM

Are rap songs filled with homophobic lyrics still available ?

by Anonymousreply 90March 3, 2021 2:19 PM

How many more cancellations are left until we can live in a utopian, albeit sanitized, world with nothing that offends anyone?

Just trying to plan.

by Anonymousreply 91March 3, 2021 2:20 PM

Dr. Seuss had BDF. That's all that matters.

by Anonymousreply 92March 3, 2021 2:20 PM

What's wrong with Peter Pan?

by Anonymousreply 93March 3, 2021 2:21 PM

Gay people need to start demanding that any song with the homophobic F-word gets banned. See how "they" like it.

by Anonymousreply 94March 3, 2021 2:22 PM

R93, lol, something about the depiction of Native Americans. Morons are offended by it.

by Anonymousreply 95March 3, 2021 2:22 PM

Fox News wants to know why Biden canceled Dr. Seuss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96March 3, 2021 2:23 PM

See this is why there need to be electoral ways to signal displeasure with the cultural moment. If Dems come out in support of this, they need to be reined in a bit by midterms. Not so much as to lose their majorities, but they need to see, get a clear signal, of how a majority of people (cf. the media) really don't like this trend.

by Anonymousreply 97March 3, 2021 2:26 PM

R96 - here we go with their lies. Biden had nothing to do with it. Those in charge of Dr. Seuss publications reviewed and made this decisions THEMSELVES. Not the publishing company - but the organization that oversees Seuss's works.

If anything, Dr. Seuss cancelled his OWN works - nobody else.

by Anonymousreply 98March 3, 2021 2:33 PM

[quote] Gay people need to start demanding that any song with the homophobic F-word gets banned. See how "they" like it.

They went after Colbert for using "cocksucker". As a gay man, I never really thought of it as an insult although it may be intended as one.

by Anonymousreply 99March 3, 2021 2:33 PM

I am shocked that a man who was born in 1904 didn't have the same views on race that people in 2021 have. SHOCKED, I tell you!

by Anonymousreply 100March 3, 2021 2:34 PM

How about they go protest at fucking state houses, where voting rights are being eliminated? Fucking morons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101March 3, 2021 2:35 PM

R99, the point is not that we're actually necessarily offended: it's to exercise power, as the critical race theory people were doing here.

by Anonymousreply 102March 3, 2021 2:36 PM

Hi East Asian at R80 and everybody! Yes, if you see any of the six books that will no longer be printed, BUY THEM. The one my husband posted online last night sold for $600. I am in shock. It was my husband's birthday yesterday (along with Dr. Seuss' birthday), so there's his gift.

by Anonymousreply 103March 3, 2021 2:37 PM

JFC is nothing off-limits these days??? Leave Dr. Seuss alone for fuck sake!

by Anonymousreply 104March 3, 2021 2:47 PM

He was a racist, that is a fact

He hid it behind his writing act

Money and money he wanted more

As long as it wasn't an African whore

by Anonymousreply 105March 3, 2021 3:09 PM

There is a reason, the title was changed from Black Eggs and Chitterlings

by Anonymousreply 106March 3, 2021 3:10 PM

[quote] How about they go protest at fucking state houses, where voting rights are being eliminated? Fucking morons.

Go somewhere?! You mean actually leave the house? And handle a sign at a statehouse? Are you serious?

Naw. It’s MUCH easier to log on to Twitter, let everyone know how offended I am and let the Twitter morons, er, I mean minions do the work.

by Anonymousreply 107March 3, 2021 3:14 PM

I hope they're PDF'd at circulated free online. It's sad to eliminate works entirely.

by Anonymousreply 108March 3, 2021 3:24 PM

Well 6 of his books will no longer be published.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109March 3, 2021 3:49 PM

Who was taught using these books? Dr. Seuss isn't exactly a textbook author.

Moreover, privately-owned publishing companies are not part of the government nor answerable to the government.

So any cries of "Cancel Culture! Investigate the Left-Wingers!" by nutcase Republicans are easily rebutted.

by Anonymousreply 110March 3, 2021 3:59 PM

R109, that's been noted many times above.

by Anonymousreply 111March 3, 2021 4:50 PM

R109 comes in with the BREAKING news.

JFC

🙄

by Anonymousreply 112March 3, 2021 5:11 PM

Can we appreciate the brilliance of R11 and that we have an amazing poet in our midst?

by Anonymousreply 113March 3, 2021 6:46 PM

[quote] here we go with their lies. Biden had nothing to do with it. Those in charge of Dr. Seuss publications reviewed and made this decisions THEMSELVES. Not the publishing company - but the organization that oversees Seuss's works.

That’s not what Fox is referring to r98. The question asked at the presser was in regards to Read Across America Day (March 2) which was created on Seuss’s birthday. Both Obama and Dump Celebrated the day during their terms by talking about Seuss and his books.

The six book removed from publication is a separate action.

by Anonymousreply 114March 3, 2021 6:54 PM

[quote] Gay people need to start demanding that any song with the homophobic F-word gets banned. See how "they" like it.

I’ve been doing that since the moment Eminem came on the scene. I’m doubling down on it now. And neither black nor white rappers will be spared.

by Anonymousreply 115March 3, 2021 7:37 PM

Don’t cancel Dr. Seuss.

Cancel this bitch instead:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116March 3, 2021 7:51 PM

South Park got a lot of things wrong back in the day, but it was ahead of its time on others. This is from 1997:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117March 3, 2021 9:10 PM

[italic]The Simpsons[/italic] and [italic]Family Guy[/italic] got even more wrong and are even more embarrassing to watch.

by Anonymousreply 118March 3, 2021 9:22 PM

What would happen if they had to cancel anything with misogyny and homophobia in it? Almost no popular music.

by Anonymousreply 119March 3, 2021 9:40 PM

[quote] What would happen if they had to cancel anything with misogyny and homophobia in it? Almost no popular music.

Except for Cole Porter, Lorenz Hart, Lionel Bart, Dusty Springfield, Barry Manilow, Peter Allen, Johnny Mathis, Curt Boetticher, Jerry Herman, Stephen Sondheim, Janis Ian, Alicia Bridges, the Pet Shop Boys, and countless others

There’ll still be Tchaikovsky, too.

by Anonymousreply 120March 3, 2021 10:17 PM

And Michael Feinstein to do soppy tributes to all of them.

by Anonymousreply 121March 3, 2021 10:18 PM

All this “woke” bullshit is being pushed by rightwingers. One mentally ill person writes some crap & rightwingers push it as a “leftist agenda” on all their websites.

by Anonymousreply 122March 3, 2021 11:21 PM

I do not like your mental haze, I do not like your leftist ways. I do not like your son on blow, I do not like you Mr. Joe.

by Anonymousreply 123March 4, 2021 1:52 AM

No, it’s not “cancelled.” Nobody cancelled DR Seuss and it was the Dr Seuss publishing group who decided not to continue publishing a few books that used outdated stereotypes. Take your scary cancel woo-woo elsewhere

by Anonymousreply 124March 4, 2021 2:16 AM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125March 4, 2021 3:15 AM

He was a racist adulterer who couldn't draw.

by Anonymousreply 126March 4, 2021 3:21 AM

Sum Ting Wong

by Anonymousreply 127March 4, 2021 3:28 AM

[quote]The one my husband posted online last night sold for $600.

What that in yen?

by Anonymousreply 128March 4, 2021 4:04 AM

[quote] and it was the Dr Seuss publishing group who decided not to continue publishing a few books that used outdated stereotypes.

Oh, just a few? I guess that’s ok then. As long as someone else doesn’t get offended by a few more. And a few more after that. And a few more....

🙄

by Anonymousreply 129March 4, 2021 11:11 AM

[quote]What's wrong with Peter Pan?

Injuns.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130March 4, 2021 11:45 AM

Broadside Books Executive Editor Eric Nelson yesterday:

Thirty-three of the top 50 books on Amazon are Dr. Seuss right now. I’d be surprised if anything like this has ever happened before.

by Anonymousreply 131March 4, 2021 11:45 AM

These threads are catnip to the alt-right shit-stirrers, but I would hope that the sane people around here understand that Dr Seuss is a COMMERCIAL enterprise, and as such the company will make decisions about what will keep the brand viable and profitable.

That's what this decision was. It's not censorship. We live in a country where companies dictate what art is available and what isn't because of their bottom line, and you need to accept that.

This once-every-six-months screaming that "this is why Trump will win the SJWs are ruining the world it's censorship and society has crumbled we are lost and doomed" is a waste of everyone's time.

by Anonymousreply 132March 4, 2021 11:50 AM

The trees in R125's picture are strange looking. They look like Dr. Seuss trees.

by Anonymousreply 133March 4, 2021 1:41 PM

Then we'll have to cancel this guy:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134March 4, 2021 6:12 PM

[quote] That's what this decision was. It's not censorship. We live in a country where companies dictate what art is available and what isn't because of their bottom line, and you need to accept that.

No, we don't have to accept this and we don't have to tolerate your toadying to private-sector abuse either.. Corporate censorship is censorship and it is fascism. Defending it makes you an enabler of fascism. And fascists get hanged by their feet until they are dead. It happened to Mussolini, and it will happen to his modern-day descendants for the exact same reason.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135March 4, 2021 6:15 PM

Complaining about "racism" against an enemy that allied with Adolf Hitler makes you a racist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136March 4, 2021 6:16 PM

Never forget.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137March 4, 2021 6:16 PM

The woke left scolds

Are stubborn as a donkey

Listen to George Jefferson

And shut up, honky!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138March 4, 2021 6:18 PM

China wasn't the one allied with Hitler.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139March 4, 2021 6:19 PM

It's not racist to make fun of wypipo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140March 4, 2021 6:21 PM

That's it. I'm adopting children just so I can read them banned books every night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141March 4, 2021 6:22 PM

Never forget.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142March 4, 2021 6:23 PM

Fuck those racist Hitler-loving wannabe crackers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143March 4, 2021 6:24 PM

It is racist to complain about so-called "stereotypes" against a racist race. The Japanese are white so they are beneficiaries of racism, not victims.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144March 4, 2021 6:27 PM

The alt-right is a myth made up by neoliberal oligarchs to justify continuing to oppress the working class.

And you're an anti-German racist if you're offended by anything Dr. Seuss ever created for any reason whatsoever. There, I said it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145March 4, 2021 6:30 PM

Their allies all tried

To wipe Jews off the maps

And send gays straight to Hell

So fuck the damn Japs!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146March 4, 2021 6:31 PM

You bombed in Manila

And then bombed in China,

So if you cry "racism,"

Eat my vagina!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147March 4, 2021 6:34 PM

R133 The trees are Eucalyptus Trees from Australia.

Citriadora = Lemon-Scented Gum

by Anonymousreply 148March 4, 2021 6:46 PM

Australia is a product of British Imperialism at the expense of the dark-skinned. I guess that's another reason to cancel him.

by Anonymousreply 149March 4, 2021 6:58 PM

[quote]When is it our turn to be cancelled? Suess and Rowling get EVERYTHING! It's NOT fair! —Clearly, Blume, Dahl, Silverstein

Go after Judy Blume and Beverly Cleary and I will cry misogyny.

Go after Shel Silverstein and I will cry anti-semitism.

That just leaves Roald Dahl since he actually was anti-semitic and that taints his entire canon.

by Anonymousreply 150March 4, 2021 8:03 PM

Dr. Seuss Enterprises did nothing to stop one horrible movie after another from being made out of his books. Their artistic and moral credibility is zero for that reason alone. They sold out in ways beyond even Jim "Garfield" Davis's wildest dreams.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151March 4, 2021 8:11 PM

Fuck eBay and fuck Dr. Seuss Enterprises. If six of his books are r-c-st, then all of them are.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152March 4, 2021 10:19 PM

Many libraries are refusing to pull the books. (Librarians have this funny quirk about censorship. They hate it.) Here in NYC, the public library system, one of the largest in the world, has announced their copies will stay on the shelves until their physical condition is past the point of being able to circulate.

by Anonymousreply 153March 4, 2021 10:28 PM

[quote]I wanted to acknowledge this in the book, but I couldn't think of anything to rhyme with "structural" or "imbalances." —Dr. Seuss

When Oscar tried dealing

With structural imbalances

They said "more Regina Kings

And fewer Jack Palances."

by Anonymousreply 154March 4, 2021 10:28 PM

When someone tells me I'm not allowed to read or see something, my response is "QUICK, HENRY, THE FLIT!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155March 4, 2021 10:48 PM

[quote] No, we don't have to accept this and we don't have to tolerate your toadying to private-sector abuse either.. Corporate censorship is censorship and it is fascism. Defending it makes you an enabler of fascism. And fascists get hanged by their feet until they are dead. It happened to Mussolini, and it will happen to his modern-day descendants for the exact same reason.

Well, that escalated quickly.

by Anonymousreply 156March 4, 2021 11:55 PM

The white man is not the enemy

Go live in your shitholes & get back to us in a year

by Anonymousreply 157March 4, 2021 11:59 PM

Ching Chong

by Anonymousreply 158March 5, 2021 1:18 AM

Roxane Gay has chimed in (was there ever any doubt?).

[quote]I hate when people make these lazy, facile arguments that elide facts. It was 5 obscure books + Mulberry Street that were going out of print for racist depictions, not The Cat in the Hat and to flatten the truth in this way is mendacious and weak.

[quote]As for content disclaimers, it is not the end of the world to suggest that there are sensitive themes in cultural products from a time when we had different norms. It means the world has changed.

[quote]To make a silly jab at Wet Ass Pussy lets you know this is all a cover for the real target. It's real easy to find ways to denigrate black women while wrapping yourself in a broad, inaccurate argument that will reach similarly unintelligent people. Congrats, I guess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159March 5, 2021 8:37 PM

I’m seeing a divide between young librarians, who support removing the books for racism, and older ones, who think their removal would be censorship.

by Anonymousreply 160March 5, 2021 9:12 PM

Deep Thinker Roxane Gay thinks she and her ilk solely get to decide what the new norms are.

by Anonymousreply 161March 5, 2021 9:41 PM

I'm so glad Roxane is against lazy, facile arguments:

[quote]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162March 6, 2021 5:27 AM

Oh actually, forget that. I see what she meant and she does have a point (the reaction to him wasn't dialed up to 11 like it would be with a black guy. I thought she was saying "he was a white guy, therefore naturally a thief"). I'm normally better at this, but in my defense I am in the congested nose part of a common cold and am hot and my brain isn't working that well. As you were.

by Anonymousreply 163March 6, 2021 5:37 AM

Doctors don't know everything, Dorothy. After all, Dr. Seuss was a doctor.

by Anonymousreply 164March 6, 2021 6:35 AM

[quote] Deep Thinker Roxane Gay thinks she and her ilk solely get to decide what the new norms are.

The deepest things about her are the permanent ass imprints on her couch cushions.

by Anonymousreply 165March 6, 2021 6:36 AM

The US is collectively mentally ill .

by Anonymousreply 166March 6, 2021 7:31 AM

What happens to Seussical the Musical? I guess they'll just rewrite the script AGAIN to get rid of whatever offends. Lousy script but I really like the songs.

by Anonymousreply 167March 6, 2021 7:39 AM

^ Flopped on Broadway but had a successful national tour with Cathy Rigby as The Cat in the Hat and has since been extremely popular with schools and community theaters.

by Anonymousreply 168March 6, 2021 7:44 AM

One of the reasons Seussical has been popular for local and regional productions is that it has a large cast of imaginary characters so that race doesn't have to be a factor in casting.

by Anonymousreply 169March 6, 2021 8:48 AM

Are they going to start burning books? In Iowa, we had an incident a few years back someone took LGBT books from a library and decided to burn them during a pride festival. Woke addicts, take note!

by Anonymousreply 170March 6, 2021 9:33 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!