Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ellen Pompeo Pens Open Letter To HFPA, “White Hollywood” Amid Golden Globes Controversy

“Pull Up, Show Up And Get This Issue Resolved”

Ellen Pompeo penned an open letter the Hollywood Foreign Press Association and “White Hollywood” a day before the 2021 Golden Globes.

Shared to her Instagram post, Pompeo’s letter calls out the HFPA for its lack of diverse members, a criticism that has echoed throughout Hollywood since an Los Angeles Times exposé revealed that the industry body has no Black journalists among its 87 members. While the HFPA responded to the backlash noting that they will “immediately work to implement a plan” to up the diversity in its party, the Grey’s Anatomy star proposed her own solution and called on “white Hollywood” to help.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77March 4, 2021 6:12 AM

Fuck her.

by Anonymousreply 1February 28, 2021 3:20 PM

What about the lack of Asian representation, at this moment where Asians are being brutalized coast to coast?

Why are they always left out of the conversation?

by Anonymousreply 2February 28, 2021 3:23 PM

This coming from the whitest woman I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 3February 28, 2021 3:24 PM

They act like it is purposeful. It is not.

The members of the foreign press are for journalists BASED IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA who write entertainment articles for foreign press.

If you are black and fit this description, you can apply. However, you can not force foreign press outlets to hire black writers to produce articles in, presumably, a different language for another country.

Now, there are only like 90 members - so if there's some gatekeeping, denying of memberships, and also a lot of bribery going on (which has been documented) - then that's something to go after.

by Anonymousreply 4February 28, 2021 3:30 PM

Why now? She was more than happy with the Golden globes when HER show was winning awards. Now all of the sudden it’s a scandal

by Anonymousreply 5February 28, 2021 3:33 PM

R2, "What about the lack of Asian representation, at this moment where Asians are being brutalized coast to coast?"

She didn't marry an Asian guy, hence her lack of concern.

by Anonymousreply 6February 28, 2021 3:36 PM

It’s a private organization. They can do what they want.

Don’t want to support the HFPA? Don’t show up to their bloody awards show. Of course they all do anyway.

by Anonymousreply 7February 28, 2021 3:38 PM

Rebel Wilson knows all about the need to have diverse members.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 28, 2021 3:45 PM

This stupid bitch is too much. I assume the HFPA is mostly comprised of Europeans. Europeans are (gasp, shock!) overwhelmingly white. Unless non-white journalists are actively being excluded then this is nothing but her trying to show off her SJW credentials.

Oh, and once again it's all about blacks. Blacks are the only people of colour that matter.

by Anonymousreply 9February 28, 2021 3:45 PM

It’s always white people doing this shit.

by Anonymousreply 10February 28, 2021 3:53 PM

R4 and R9... WELL SAID!....

of course following on the heels of "what about" black nominees push for the past few years...

i'm sorry but if the black population is only 13% of the country, (even less in hollywood?) than their "representation" in front of and behind the camera is actually just about right, if NOT more so, for their numbers...meanwhile where are those native american, asian, and gosh knows other ethnicities being nominated, winning, whether acting, directing, whatever, hosting awards shows and so on and so on and so on....

by Anonymousreply 11February 28, 2021 3:55 PM

Yet if she were up for a Globe no doubt she’d be throwing herself at the HFPA to try and get their votes

by Anonymousreply 12February 28, 2021 3:58 PM

Jesus and Santa were white!!!!

by Anonymousreply 13February 28, 2021 4:00 PM

Cut her a break, her husband and kids are black, so I understand her wanting to get into the fight.

by Anonymousreply 14February 28, 2021 4:08 PM

Of course R14.

by Anonymousreply 15February 28, 2021 4:10 PM

R9 Her children are black, so I imagine that’s why she’s specifically concerned with the issue of black representation.

However, she center aligned her open letter, and that I cannot abide!!!

by Anonymousreply 16February 28, 2021 4:10 PM

Even if she had a legitimate concern, R16, which she does not, the lack of attention given to other races reveals that it's not about fair representation for all, it's about blacks gaining the control and dominance that whites have enjoyed until now.

by Anonymousreply 17February 28, 2021 4:21 PM

WOW really antisemitic of her to go after Hollywood like this.

by Anonymousreply 18February 28, 2021 4:27 PM

What I don’t get, is there no foreign press members from Africa, a whole continent? Latin America? Is this really just the white people foreign press or what?

by Anonymousreply 19February 28, 2021 4:32 PM

Don't worry Ellen, you can use nepotism to get their entitled asses jobs in the industry.

by Anonymousreply 20February 28, 2021 4:35 PM

It's the Golden Globes! You win when the check clears!

These celebrities today are something else. Are they that desperate for validation?

by Anonymousreply 21February 28, 2021 4:50 PM

The rest of the world doesn’t have Affirmative Action and a quota system.

by Anonymousreply 22February 28, 2021 4:56 PM

R2 white women don't give a crap about Asians, particularly Asian males.

by Anonymousreply 23February 28, 2021 4:56 PM

White women and actresses are so going to regret all this virtue signaling. I don't want to hear it when they lose out on parts and awards to POC. Regular white women are also getting sent to the cancelled gallows more frequently as well. In fact, white women are more privileged than white men much of the time. Tread carefully, ladies!

by Anonymousreply 24February 28, 2021 5:06 PM

She was singing a different tune a decade ago...

----------------------------------------------------------

Last week on “The View,” Pompeo was asked about her plans to also adopt a Black child and if she were concerned about any possible backlash.

With some B-girl sass she responded that “no one can tell me nuttin’ because I had a Black child. “

Really?

She then went on to say something about keeping things racially separate is a bad thing, and that we don’t need the NAACP Awards, because there should just be “people” awards and that there isn’t a need for historically Black colleges and universities.

Wow!

To make things worse, she kept adding, “my husband agrees” as the Black co-sign to actually legitimize her ignorant and completely inappropriate comments.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25February 28, 2021 5:10 PM

R19 - these foreign press members have to be based in Southern California, presumably to focus specifically on entertainment reporting for their home country.

There may not be enough of a market in African press or money to support full-time coverage from Hollywood when articles can be purchased and reprinted from other sources.

However, this article states that some of the outlets these people represent aren't really well known and some members represent countries that they have nothing to do with.

Sounds like a very corrupt and small organization with a lot of gate keeping and members who desire all the perks and ass-kissing. It needs to be reformed completely - and not just to add some black voices or other voices of color.

No one should be getting free trips to Paris and other perks. However, let's look at the nominations versus the Oscars - they match up very closely and the Academy has 9000 members.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 28, 2021 5:19 PM

R24 The one's singing this tune won't feel any repercussions for this, they are already at the top and now the parts that are for white women will shrink but they will have less competition as white people will put to the back of the list as is already happening with agents. If you are a white male actor trying to break into the industry, unless you are connected, they won't even see you for an audition now.

by Anonymousreply 27February 28, 2021 5:23 PM

I can't stand this bitch. She makes $20 million dollars a year. She is the epitome of white privilege. She's also a smug cunt who said "It's above my paygrade" when people theorized that Jessica Capshaw and Sarah Drew - longtime co-stars of Grey's - were fired to make way for... Pompeo's paygrade raise.

by Anonymousreply 28February 28, 2021 5:28 PM

This LUCKY butch, the ONLY one who has stayed on the popular show because she’s it’s namesake even though she’s one of its weakest players... What gives her the nerve to think she should be speaking out on anything? Her fat check?

by Anonymousreply 29February 28, 2021 5:30 PM

I bet she’s never even had a GG nomination. Certainly not one for the Emmy.

by Anonymousreply 30February 28, 2021 5:31 PM

It must kill her that despite all her white privilege, Sandra Oh will always be far more successful than her.

by Anonymousreply 31February 28, 2021 5:34 PM

Are Tina and Amy just the puppets made to dance by the white supremacist organization or are they complicit Aunty Jerminas?

by Anonymousreply 32February 28, 2021 5:34 PM

Is this all to make up for when Viola Davis called her out in that roundtable?

No matter how much this white woman tries to look woke, she will always be called out by blacks. And when she does, she will grovel to them. It's embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 33February 28, 2021 5:35 PM

R31 Sandra is a talented actress. Something Pompeo will never be.

by Anonymousreply 34February 28, 2021 5:36 PM

R33 I want to see Viola calling her out, I am so glad someone did.

by Anonymousreply 35February 28, 2021 5:38 PM

If she was still on the show, Christina Yang would slap her fat Renee zellweger sourpuss face.

by Anonymousreply 36February 28, 2021 5:38 PM

She should really be Ellen Pompeass not Ellen Pompeo.

by Anonymousreply 37February 28, 2021 5:38 PM

What is with her face? Bad plastic surgery or just aging poorly?

I'm distracted by her face, especially her mouth when I'm watching Grey's. I can't figure it out.

by Anonymousreply 38February 28, 2021 5:40 PM

Ellen Pompous-Ass

by Anonymousreply 39February 28, 2021 5:42 PM

Renee Zellweger has the film career she coveted so she’s still pissed, I see.

by Anonymousreply 40February 28, 2021 5:44 PM

She was on some morning show today. Pompous ass.

by Anonymousreply 41February 28, 2021 5:45 PM

The same Ellen who has hid her natural accent for years to appeal to middle, very white America?

by Anonymousreply 42February 28, 2021 5:46 PM

She really thinks she is the spokesperson for all these social issues. She's entitled and nauseating.

by Anonymousreply 43February 28, 2021 5:47 PM

Isn’t she Italian? I thought they weren’t white?

by Anonymousreply 44February 28, 2021 5:47 PM

R44 Just sit down bitch

by Anonymousreply 45February 28, 2021 5:48 PM

Look at the smug little fuckin face on her in op’s pic.

by Anonymousreply 46February 28, 2021 5:50 PM

EVERYTHING IS PROBLEMATIC

by Anonymousreply 47February 28, 2021 5:50 PM

This lady has been in one thing in the last 16 years. Why would the HFPA listen to her?

by Anonymousreply 48February 28, 2021 5:50 PM

[quote] Sounds like a very corrupt and small organization with a lot of gate keeping and members who desire all the perks and ass-kissing. It needs to be reformed completely - and not just to add some black voices or other voices of color.

No it doesn’t. Again it’s a private organization. They can run things however they please. This isn’t the MPAA.

If all these actors want to put their money with their mouthed are, then they can boycott the Globes. They can decline their awards. The Globes only have as much weight and importance as Hollywood gives them.

by Anonymousreply 49February 28, 2021 5:50 PM

No talent lucky cunt

by Anonymousreply 50February 28, 2021 5:50 PM

Sorry, *money where their mouths are

by Anonymousreply 51February 28, 2021 5:51 PM

Public: You go, girl!

Private: 🙄

by Anonymousreply 52February 28, 2021 5:59 PM

Jesus Christ, are actors this pompous that they actually give a fuck about an organization that gave Pia Zadora and Madonna acting awards??

by Anonymousreply 53February 28, 2021 6:02 PM

I get changing for a new emerging demographic of consumers. My question is - who are the main consumers? If you get rid of all white male actors in both features and commercials/ads, is there that much of a POC consumer audience that would make up for a potential lack of white audience? I stopped with the Oscars after Jada's #Oscarsowhite thing. It's no longer about the talent and then it becomes less fun. Are there that many POC watching the Oscars to make up for a declining white audience. Same with products. etc.

by Anonymousreply 54February 28, 2021 6:06 PM

The producers of show are not members of the HFPA so why do they keep hiring those 2 smug, unfunny white bitches to host?

by Anonymousreply 55February 28, 2021 6:19 PM

You'd rather hire 2 smug, unfunny black bitches to host, you fucking racist?

by Anonymousreply 56February 28, 2021 6:22 PM

No we need a female black host to remind white America, lower and working class included, how privileged they are compared to the host who is stood on a set a that cost millions, drinks champagne that the majority of white America couldn't afford and is chauffer driven home to a house that little Timmy in his trailer park will never get near.

by Anonymousreply 57February 28, 2021 6:25 PM

She's giving scorpios a bad name.

by Anonymousreply 58February 28, 2021 6:27 PM

R56 Yes and then maybe I'd watch the show.

by Anonymousreply 59February 28, 2021 6:27 PM

And yet this bitch collected her pay cheque for years when Grey's was a toxic set and now she thinks she is some woke queen? Give it up, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 60February 28, 2021 6:32 PM

Was she not invited to the Globes?

by Anonymousreply 61February 28, 2021 6:35 PM

[quote] no Black journalists among its 87 members

𝐼𝓉'𝓈 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓇𝑒𝓆𝓊𝒾𝓇𝑒𝓂𝑒𝓃𝓉 𝓉𝑜 𝓇𝑒𝒶𝒹 𝒸𝓊𝓇𝓈𝒾𝓋𝑒 𝓉𝒽𝒶𝓉 𝓂𝑒𝓈𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓂 𝓊𝓅.

by Anonymousreply 62February 28, 2021 7:30 PM

OK, we get it, you have a child of color and you are soooo woke.

by Anonymousreply 63February 28, 2021 7:34 PM

So, I've always wanted to be on a sitcom.

Can I go in and read for a black character on a BET series and expect colorblind casting?

They don't have to explain why one of the siblings is adopted in a family of black people; he' s just there!

I mean that'd be fair to me or some other white guy, right?

by Anonymousreply 64March 1, 2021 12:09 AM

THAT’s Ellen Pompeo??? It doesn’t even look like her. What’s she gone and done with her face? I bet her kids don’t even recognize her anymore. What’s wrong with these Hollywood people, why can’t they just age gracefully instead of getting themselves carved up like jack o’lanterns. They look like freaky ventriloquist dummies with blazing white chompers by the time they’re 45.

I used to enjoy watching the soaps now and then until the cast started looking like the puppets in that British show that mocks the royal family. Those weird immovable faces on real people actually make me feel queasy.

by Anonymousreply 65March 1, 2021 4:23 AM

I don't know whats more IMPOSSIBLE to believe....That Meredith Gray could get someone as hot as Dr. McDreamy to marry her---or that he would ever want to come back from the dead to see her....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66March 1, 2021 4:29 AM

QUESTION = Ever notice the BLACK ACTRESS who started on Greys Anatomy on the exact same day as Ellen Pompeo never brags about making the same kind of money Ellen Pompeo makes? Chandra Wilson also did NOT get the producer credit that EllenP got....Gee, I wonder where WHITE Ellens "outrage" is on that topic?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67March 1, 2021 4:35 AM

It's always blackety blackety black black blacksplaining. No one cares about 'diversity'.

by Anonymousreply 68March 1, 2021 4:52 AM

Such bullshit.

The HFPA is a private organization that does a flashy trade show in Hollywood. They actually don't owe anyone "diversity", or anything else.

by Anonymousreply 69March 1, 2021 5:08 AM

I really think that all those who cry about lack of diversity have no realized idea about what that means. I think they believe that just because they demand it they have the entire thing figured out. Does demanding that more black members be added to HFPA just so they can vote for more black entertainment make a more fair process? Or does adding members who are more rounded in their thought & consideration to cast votes for more diverse entertainment achieve a more honest, level process? People like Pompeo seem to think that adding black members to vote for black actors is the solution, when in reality isn't that just the same as white members being biased toward white actors? It is, absolutely. One form of racial bias is no more ethical, no more progressive, and no more corrective than another. Unfortunately, too many people seem to think that this is the proper path to fairness. Such flawed logic. I mean, I'd feel a little foolish accepting an award that was given to me just because the people giving it decided it was time to give an award to a gay man. That's no achievement.

by Anonymousreply 70March 1, 2021 12:22 PM

There are already rumors circulating that the winners were changed after the controversy to include more black performers. Even if it's not true, these campaigns don't do anyone any favors because they just leave the impression people are winning for tokenism instead of merit. As others have pointed out, it's also ridiculous to expect a group of European journalists to reflect the diversity of the US. And the fact that the HFPA is a highly corrupt organization is not news. Hasn't this been known at least since Pia Zadora basically bought a Globe? Didn't Sharon Stone famously try to bribe the HFPA members with watches back in the day? Why are we acting all surprised now?

by Anonymousreply 71March 3, 2021 6:47 PM

[quote]I bet she’s never even had a GG nomination. Certainly not one for the Emmy.

She had a GG nomination in 2007 lol.

by Anonymousreply 72March 3, 2021 7:15 PM

I have no idea who this Pompeo woman is.

by Anonymousreply 73March 3, 2021 7:24 PM

What horseshit.

Not satisfied until only "minorities" and she get awards?

by Anonymousreply 74March 3, 2021 7:34 PM

In 1962 the Golden Globe's Cecil B. DeMille Lifetime Achievement Award was given to Judy Garland.

They're ok in my book!

by Anonymousreply 75March 4, 2021 5:20 AM

r70 wins.

by Anonymousreply 76March 4, 2021 6:11 AM

I got mine, so now I'm going to virtue signal. I have nothing to lose here

by Anonymousreply 77March 4, 2021 6:12 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!