Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dozens of famous men support $2,400 monthly payments for mothers for 'unpaid labor at home'

A group of 50 male politicians, actors and other prominent figures published an open letter this week backing a proposal that calls on the Biden administration to issue $2,400 monthly payments to mothers for “unpaid labor at home” during the pandemic.

The letter, published online and in a full-page ad in The Washington Post on Thursday, is signed by dozens of prominent men, including actors Colin Farrell and Don Cheadle; NBA star Steph Curry; former NFL player Victor Cruz; Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian; and New York City mayoral candidate Andrew Yang (D).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84March 1, 2021 5:14 AM

Well that’s fucking stupid and not going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 1February 28, 2021 1:47 AM

Why is Andrew Yang always trying to give away other people's money?

by Anonymousreply 2February 28, 2021 1:48 AM

Why should women be paid to take care of their own children?

by Anonymousreply 3February 28, 2021 1:49 AM

Absolutely not.

by Anonymousreply 4February 28, 2021 1:50 AM

[quote] Why is Andrew Yang always trying to give away other people's money?

That’s what taxes are, Einstein. Not everything goes towards something you want. You pay for public schools.

by Anonymousreply 5February 28, 2021 1:51 AM

What about stay at home dads????

by Anonymousreply 6February 28, 2021 1:51 AM

Do butt babies count?

by Anonymousreply 7February 28, 2021 1:53 AM

I think we should tax babies

With the cost going up exponentially after each additional one

by Anonymousreply 8February 28, 2021 1:56 AM

Only working mothers who lost their jobs and have no spouse/partner to rely on should qualify. Not a bunch of lazy suburbanite Pinterest addicts who need more Pioneer Woman products and 200 dollar yoga pants. Fuck that shit.

by Anonymousreply 9February 28, 2021 2:01 AM

Seems a roundabout way to get to universal basic income, which may be a good thing actually.

by Anonymousreply 10February 28, 2021 2:08 AM

$2400 per month is more than some people earn working at fast food and retail jobs. In my city, it's mostly immigrants who work those jobs. Any mother who works typically has to pay a large chunk of her income towards child care costs. So I think anyone who makes over $40,000 will probably choose to work and pay for child care. Anyone who makes less than that would probably be better off staying at home and taking the credit.

BUT, doesn't this kind of force some women to stay in the home? Some women appreciate getting out of the house, being productive, socializing with coworkers, and navigating the challenges of a job. When their kids are grown, they will have trouble being rehired with a huge gap on their resume? There will probably be affirmative action laws requiring the mothers returning to the workforce to be hired above other applicants.

by Anonymousreply 11February 28, 2021 2:09 AM

Instead of cradling mugs we will be mugged by cradles.

by Anonymousreply 12February 28, 2021 2:12 AM

The more Yang speaks, the more inclined I am to not support his run for mayor.

by Anonymousreply 13February 28, 2021 2:12 AM

When all these women quit their jobs to stay home (sounds kind of 1950s-ish), perhaps the unemployment rate will drop exponentially.

by Anonymousreply 14February 28, 2021 2:14 AM

that word "productive" is so very revealing in so many cases. You are productive if you are sitting in a cubicle making spreadsheets and dealing with nonsense emails. You are not productive if you are actually raising a child. We really need to think about what "work" is in this society, how much of it is bullshit, and how nonwork can actually be so much more helpful to the entire society than what is often called work.

by Anonymousreply 15February 28, 2021 2:15 AM

How is this different from regular welfare?

by Anonymousreply 16February 28, 2021 2:16 AM

It pays more, R16

by Anonymousreply 17February 28, 2021 2:18 AM

and I get that r13. I have something of the same reaction I did during his presidential run. I don't think Yang was in any way qualified to be president, but I liked the questions he raised during the campaign. Our dingbat media doesn't deal with actual questions of policy, just horserace shit, so those questions weren't really addressed for the most part. But he got through to people like me anyway, and I think it was helpful overall. I'm not in New York, but I suspect he's not qualified to be the Mayor, but again, he asks things that are worth asking.

by Anonymousreply 18February 28, 2021 2:21 AM

What about elder care? At least there are tons of daycare places to park your kids, even if they are expensive. Try to find somewhere to shove mom or dad for the day, especially when they have alzheimers or need constant medical attention. We should get $3000 a month.

And, of course, I have to walk the dog and clean the cat box, so, that should be another $500 at least.

Let's see, what else? Hmm...

by Anonymousreply 19February 28, 2021 2:21 AM

[quote]What about stay at home dads????

This is for for mothers, not cisgender males. Gay dads' wealth privilege will carry them through.

by Anonymousreply 20February 28, 2021 2:23 AM

This sounds really patronizing.

by Anonymousreply 21February 28, 2021 2:23 AM

[quote] give away other people's money?

R2 you mean return the money back to people. In the US, it's always "taking away other people's hard earned money and give them to the super rich for FREE", but I don't think you would understand this. People here always mock Trump supporters, they are so dumb that they don't understand they are voting against their own interests, but actually we are not that better than them.

by Anonymousreply 22February 28, 2021 2:26 AM

This “Marshall Plan for Moms” was proposed to Biden in January by a group of women who stated, “You know this well. Moms are the bedrock of society. We are tired of working for free”.

Among those who endorsed the proposal: Amy Schumer, Eva Longoria, Connie Britton, Alyssa Milano and Julianne Moore, seriously

by Anonymousreply 23February 28, 2021 2:27 AM

It's basically medical leave. Other countries have more robust and comprehensive pension and medical leave systems.

by Anonymousreply 24February 28, 2021 2:28 AM

I was planning to do laundry and clean tomorrow. I’m going to hold off until someone makes it worth my while.

by Anonymousreply 25February 28, 2021 2:29 AM

We have social security, we might as well use it for medical leave. Tax private sector. We also need Medicare for ALL. Private sector should not really choose whether they pay into Social Security or Medicare For All health insurance. This should be mandatory.

Another grotesque issue is: Maternal Mortality is on the increase in the USA. This is because private sector will not pay for prenatal care and hospital costs. Also, they want these women (new mothers) back to the labor force asap. It's not safe. We really need these laws.

by Anonymousreply 26February 28, 2021 2:42 AM

Another interesting word "labor." Yes women literally in labor are just lazing around. Gotta get those bitches back into the labor force as soon as possible. There's stupid nonsense that nobody cares about to get done!

by Anonymousreply 27February 28, 2021 2:46 AM

America, please do not let your racism destroy Western Democracy. Go for Medicare for all, medical leave and a robust pension.

by Anonymousreply 28February 28, 2021 2:49 AM

Seems like it would be a lot of work just trying to figure out who the money would go to.

by Anonymousreply 29February 28, 2021 2:49 AM

$2,400 is more than I get a month from Social Security and I paid into it for 40 years and some times worked a part time job to make extra money.

by Anonymousreply 30February 28, 2021 2:50 AM

What the fuck is wrong with you? Why are you letting new mother's bleed out? Why not invest into your own medical care, medical leave and pension and SAVE A NEW MOTHERS LIFE TOO?

Wake up America!

by Anonymousreply 31February 28, 2021 2:52 AM

Being a Mom is the toughest job in the world.

by Anonymousreply 32February 28, 2021 2:52 AM

I'm fucking pissed that the plan is always to give mothers, family and kids so much money. People choose to fuck and have kids. If they can't afford them let them stop fucking without birth control or just stop fucking.

What about the poor elderly and poor disabled! No one chooses to become old or disabled. Yet no one out there, not even Liberals like Warren or Sanders even mentions giving them some help. Those who live on SSI live well below the poverty level and no help for them ever. The last Democrat to do anything to help them was LBJ, 56 fucking years ago!

OMG, if you post something about not helping the crotch droppings it's like you're the devil. Kids already get free education and food and I don't begrudge them that or free medical care if they need it. Hell I'd say even give them some limited free clothing like warm coats and shoes when they outgrow what they have but to give thousands of dollars a month to reward only those with kids is such bullshit. And you know in many cases the kids will not get a dime of that money spent on them. The parents will party the days and nights away with it. It's bad enough that a single person is just getting the lousy $1400, if that, and people with kids will get thousands more.

Sorry, but so far Biden sucks. Yes of course he's not an evil piece of shit like Trump and I'd vote for him again if that's the choice or over any Republican by why can't we ever again get and FDR or LBJ Democrat instead of corporate, cowardly fucking Democrats like Biden.

Oh and all these "important" people who signed that can kiss my ass. No more money just for getting knocked up!

by Anonymousreply 33February 28, 2021 2:53 AM

[R30] And the sane response to your problem would be:

FIX the Social Security, Medical Leave and Medicare for ALL.

Come on America, GO DEMOCRACY. Go with the political economic system where you have HUMAN RIGHTS. TAX PRIVATE SECTOR. TAX the Wealthy.

by Anonymousreply 34February 28, 2021 2:55 AM

Wow. Two years ago, I paid cash for my Masters degree instead of picking up debt. I chose not to get knocked up because this country is becoming scarier by the day and the world is too crowded.

Now I can pay for everyone else's kids and forgiven loan amounts. Great!

by Anonymousreply 35February 28, 2021 2:55 AM

I lived by a girl who got pregnant young and was on welfare, I used to be jealous because she sat home all day watching soaps and having people over while I had to go to work. B

by Anonymousreply 36February 28, 2021 2:55 AM

Well I want a stipend for having to listen to my manager’s two bratty kids scream and carry on while I am on the phone with her and during Zoom meetings.

by Anonymousreply 37February 28, 2021 2:56 AM

I'd rather pay for birth control implants. There are already too many people in the world. We shouldn't be encouraging the creation of more.

by Anonymousreply 38February 28, 2021 2:58 AM

The parents working from home are making out like bandits. They no longer have to pay for day care. There's no way in hell they will want to come back to the office when the pandemic is over. But that's okay. Because the childfree folks will be expected to go back to the office.

by Anonymousreply 39February 28, 2021 3:00 AM

Warren and Bernie did run on fixing Social Security and Medicare for ALL, ALL people. They also developed focused programs to assist the elderly and disabled, which Republicans have run into the ground. Come on, we all know Elizabeth Warren's and Bernie Sanders' record and their amazing Polices. We can still get there.

by Anonymousreply 40February 28, 2021 3:00 AM

It’s good for society. It shouldn’t just be for mothers though what if a gay couple had kids or a dad wants to be the primary caretaker? I feel like if anyone is having kids it’s better to have someone at home with them.

by Anonymousreply 41February 28, 2021 3:16 AM

If we're social engineering with government money, how about paying women of childbearing age a stipend each month if they DON'T get pregnant?

Then, if they do, the money stops because the government assumes they weighed the pros and cons, made a conscious decision, and have worked out a budget for the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 42February 28, 2021 3:19 AM

Stupid and ridiculous idea.

I have no desire to bankroll someone else's lifestyle choices, including having children or staying home and not working.

by Anonymousreply 43February 28, 2021 3:22 AM

Clearly, the only rational choice is to go on with the stupid braindead economy we've created and never, ever, never change a bit of it. It is so clearly perfect in every way right now that nobody must ever question it. obviously.

by Anonymousreply 44February 28, 2021 3:30 AM

As long as I get my 10k in student loan forgiveness they can give these hoes whatever they want

by Anonymousreply 45February 28, 2021 4:56 AM

And for how long will they get the $2,400? Once the kid(s) go to college or move out, and who will track all of this? Will it encourage people to have more children and would a family of 6 or more children mean the need for more money? Is there a cap? And what if the kids live at home till their 25?

by Anonymousreply 46February 28, 2021 5:10 AM

It's a reasonable policy. The burden of child care and elderly care (both of which are non-optional in a functioning society) mostly falls to women and is largely unpaid. As women now need to work full time because it's no longer possible to live on the husband's salary alone, the burden is shifted onto the state. An allowance to women gives them the opportunity to reduce their working hours and take on more family duties, which shifts the burden back into the family and away from the state.

by Anonymousreply 47February 28, 2021 6:22 AM

My loser brother and his addict wife have three kids that I've helped raise. I don't have any kids of my own and get to spend my life taking care of our parents. Under the new Biden plan, I get $1400 and the loser/addict combo will get around $13,000 up front and $2400 a month on top of it? Or is it $2400 per child? I'll fucking kill them and adopt their kids because the world would be better off.

People should be allowed two children over their entire lifetime. Replacements and that's it. You get fined for every additional child. After four, you get sterilized because you're a fucking asshole. Convicted of a felony? Sterilized. Haven't had a job for three years? Sterilized. Drug addict who has relapsed more than twice? Sterilized. Never graduated high school and couldn't be bothered to even get a GED? Sterilized. Wife/child abuser? Sterilized.

We don't need more people, we need better people. What I haven't heard discussed much is the role overpopulation has played in this pandemic, both its development and its spread. If we don't curb the rampant, idiotic, exponential growth of the human invasion on the planet, mother nature will. We should get rid of the shit before mother nature starts her random murder spree.

by Anonymousreply 48February 28, 2021 7:18 AM

[Quote] You are not productive if you are actually raising a child.

Are you fucking kidding me?!

by Anonymousreply 49February 28, 2021 7:47 AM

I like this idea.

by Anonymousreply 50February 28, 2021 7:52 AM

R19 I completely agree (about the carer part). Many people take care of the elderly relatives and get little payment.

by Anonymousreply 51February 28, 2021 7:54 AM

[quote]It's a reasonable policy.

It is a ludicrous policy - both in concept and from any reasonable practical execution standpoint.

Being a stay at home mom is a lifestyle choice.

[quote]The burden of child care and elderly care (both of which are non-optional in a functioning society) mostly falls to women

Don't conflate care for the elderly with the choice of having children. Getting old isn't optional; having children and deciding NOT to work is completely optional.

by Anonymousreply 52February 28, 2021 1:07 PM

[quote]The burden of child care and elderly care (both of which are non-optional in a functioning society) mostly falls to women and is largely unpaid. As women now need to work full time because it's no longer possible to live on the husband's salary alone, the burden is shifted onto the state.

Many women do not need to work full time. Many families can live on one salary, but in today's materialistic world, they refuse to do so.

Additionally, the 1970s women's empowerment made women feel guilty about staying home. Somehow raising responsible children was not as important as going out into the world and dealing with the everyday stresses of a job. Children are mixed up today because they do not have a parent that stays at home and raises them.

by Anonymousreply 53February 28, 2021 1:12 PM

I'm all for anything to help people as long as it's logical. This is not logical. Where do these people think all this money is going to come from? Do they think the federal government has a huge forest somewhere with trees that grow hundred dollar bills by the billions?

by Anonymousreply 54February 28, 2021 1:14 PM

[quote]Two years ago, I paid cash for my Masters degree instead of picking up debt. I chose not to get knocked up because this country is becoming scarier by the day and the world is too crowded.

The number of Dataloungers who talk about themselves incessantly and expect scads of approval for their own boring life choices is EXHAUSTING.

This is basically about paid medical leave, and it's coming up now because women lost their jobs during the pandemic. The last stats we had on job recovery since the pandemic began showed that nearly ALL jobs recovered went to men, women remained at home because they're now the sole providers of education along with everything else they do.

Your boring tale about getting a degree has not one fucking thing to do with the topic at hand.

by Anonymousreply 55February 28, 2021 1:17 PM

[quote]Where do these people think all this money is going to come from? Do they think the federal government has a huge forest somewhere with trees that grow hundred dollar bills by the billions?

Yes, that's exactly what they think, you've got your finger on the pulse of a nation here, my man.

by Anonymousreply 56February 28, 2021 1:18 PM

[quote]Many families can live on one salary, but in today's materialistic world, they refuse to do so.

Hardly. I haven't been able to work full time since an accident (and the part time work I had dried up as soon as the pandemic hit) and one good salary barely keeps us afloat. My partner has a well-paying job and we only have a small house, no debt other than mortgage and student loans, and it's still really tough. Utilities and groceries have skyrocketed in the last year.

by Anonymousreply 57February 28, 2021 1:20 PM

I think it's hugely generous and selfless of each of these men to offer up a share of their substantial wealth to help at-home women in less fortunate circumst....wait, what!?! they want to keep their own millions and make it our problem? 🖕🏾

by Anonymousreply 58February 28, 2021 1:22 PM

[quote]Utilities and groceries have skyrocketed in the last year.

And utilities and groceries and everything else will continue to skyrocket if stores know there is free money floating around. Prices are set according to what people are willing to pay.

by Anonymousreply 59February 28, 2021 1:23 PM

[quote]I think it's hugely generous and selfless of each of these men to offer up a share of their substantial wealth to help at-home women in less fortunate circumst....wait, what!?! they want to keep their own millions and make it our problem?

THIS is exactly the problem with Andrew Yang and Bill Gates and Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren and all of Hollywood. They GOT theirs, but now they want to think up all these programs to keep you from getting yours.

How about this policy? Nobody can own a second home until all US citizens own a home. Looking at you Bernie Sanders. What are you up to now? Four homes?

by Anonymousreply 60February 28, 2021 1:27 PM

what about fathers who take care of the kids? or Single Fathers? What if the mother is unfit?

by Anonymousreply 61February 28, 2021 1:37 PM

If you can’t afford a baby, then don’t have one. This is all too rich coming from a bunch of rich baby daddies caught up in child support payments, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 62February 28, 2021 1:41 PM

In a gay marriage, which one is the "mother"?

by Anonymousreply 63February 28, 2021 1:45 PM

How do you decide who is a mother? It can't just be for women. Sam Smith recently said that they wants to be a mummy.

by Anonymousreply 64February 28, 2021 1:47 PM

Having children is a hobby.

Just like religion is

I don't want to subsidize anyone's hobbies. Nor do I want their hobbies dictating how I live

by Anonymousreply 65February 28, 2021 1:54 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66February 28, 2021 2:23 PM

So easy for 'prominent men' to sign a letter when the money isn't coming out of their pockets. But I guess they'll get some good press out of it. Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 67February 28, 2021 3:06 PM

[quote]So easy for 'prominent men' to sign a letter when the money isn't coming out of their pockets.

Or if it does come out of their pockets, they have so much money that they don't even feel it.

by Anonymousreply 68February 28, 2021 4:21 PM

Children are not a vanity project. They are not a box you check on your resume.

Don't have kids you don't want to take care of. Either yourself or by finding another woman who is better able to. A woman who doesn't want to take care of her child shouldn't have had it, and we aren't allowed to say that anymore. If your career is more important to you than your child, you're a monster.

by Anonymousreply 69February 28, 2021 4:49 PM

[quote]Where do these people think all this money is going to come from?

Childfree people.

by Anonymousreply 70February 28, 2021 4:57 PM

How come those of us who are child free never rewarded with money? It’s ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 71February 28, 2021 5:22 PM

Bust the teachers’ unions and revoke their pay and THEN we can talk about restructuring the cash to the stay at home mommy teachers.

by Anonymousreply 72February 28, 2021 5:28 PM

I can't support this. Children are a responsibility and a choice.

We should make it easier to have children, including paid time off, subsidized child care and health care.

But no, you don't get $2400 a month to take care of your child. There are other ways of tackling the problem - this isn't it. Just giving people money doesn't work.

C'mon left - stop being so Pollyannaish and produce some practical policies. This is just ridiculous and Republican ad fodder.

by Anonymousreply 73February 28, 2021 5:40 PM

And while the kids are in school from 8:30-3:00 and at after school programs and activities. what's a mother to do? Watch The View and The Price is Right?

by Anonymousreply 74February 28, 2021 5:49 PM

How much of this so called uncompensated "work" is just work everyone has to be do to maintain themselves anyway even if they lived alone? I'd say most of it.

Even singles have to cook, clean, shop, pay bills, etc.

These men just want to shift the financial burden from other men onto the tax payer.

by Anonymousreply 75February 28, 2021 6:04 PM

[quote] There are already too many people in the world.

There really aren’t. You (and most Dataloungers) are just misanthropes.

by Anonymousreply 76February 28, 2021 6:10 PM

And yes, this proposal is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 77February 28, 2021 6:11 PM

R75 - yes, good point.

People have to cook dinner - is the time and energy that much more to make 4 portions than 1 or 2?

People have to do laundry - so you have to do a few more loads a week for the kids.

Yes, you have to watch young kids closely, but after a certain age - they're in front of the TV or on their devices or playing in their rooms.

If you want to give out money to people to have kids, then they have to pass a very detailed parenting test. Too many people have kids and have no idea what good parenting is or how it can affect their kids.

by Anonymousreply 78February 28, 2021 6:18 PM

It’s 2021. Having children is a choice.

by Anonymousreply 79February 28, 2021 6:33 PM

We should be wondering how much offices themselves are actually needed. We talk about people returning to work, but it's not like a lot of people haven't been working. They just haven't been doing it in cubicles with middle managers monitoring them. Maybe that's actually something to think about, although our natural tendency is not to think about things like that, just go along with mindless doing.

by Anonymousreply 80February 28, 2021 7:11 PM

r76, 7.5 billion people compete with you for clean air, food, clean water, rare earth elements for your electronic gadgets. Just how many people do feel is "about right"?

by Anonymousreply 81February 28, 2021 11:19 PM

This is homophobic. What fucking century are they living in??? There are tons of gay male couples raising children. Many women want to work and not stay home looking after their brats all day. There are tons of stay at home dads. This idea sounds like something out of the Stone Age. They want women at home where they belong dependent on a man constantly knocked up.

by Anonymousreply 82March 1, 2021 3:45 AM

Yang is basically an incel at heart. This is what he thinks of women. He doesn't even realizse how backwards and sexist it is. Little Andy wanted his mommy at home and now he wants his wife at home.

by Anonymousreply 83March 1, 2021 4:17 AM

They should just get a job doing phone sex.

by Anonymousreply 84March 1, 2021 5:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!