Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

America officially has three vaccines as Johnson and Johnson is approved

4 million doses coming over the next week with 20 million coming by the end of March. 15% of Americans have already started to be vaccinated.

Thankfully we are finally making some progress here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239March 5, 2021 11:53 PM

[quote]The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines have shown astonishing — and essentially equivalent — degrees of efficacy, at least in the early stages after vaccination. The Pfizer vaccine showed efficacy of 95% at preventing symptomatic Covid infection after two doses. The vaccine appeared to be more or less equally protective across age groups and racial and ethnic groups.

[quote]Developed by J&J’s vaccines division, Janssen Pharmaceuticals, it was shown to be 66% protective against moderate to severe Covid infection in a multi-country study. Importantly, it was 85% effective in protecting against severe disease.

by Anonymousreply 1February 27, 2021 11:44 PM

For those in the US who haven't yet been vaccinated - If you had a choice of the three current vaccines, which one would you select and why?

by Anonymousreply 2February 27, 2021 11:45 PM

I have to admit, r2, in spite of all the medical experts saying otherwise, if I had a choice I would go with one of the two “originals.” It’s silly, I know, since the flu shot is far less efficacious than even J&J, yet it’s psychosomatic.

There’s honestly no logical reason for my thinking, to answer the why portion of your question.

by Anonymousreply 3February 27, 2021 11:49 PM

This seems too good to be true

by Anonymousreply 4February 27, 2021 11:51 PM

JNJ is a nice vaccine, but there is no getting around the clinical trial results are not as good as Pfizer or Moderna r2. Which makes since as Pfizer and Moderna are doing two shots but JNJ is trying to do one shot with no booster.

by Anonymousreply 5February 27, 2021 11:52 PM

Johnson & Johnson screwed up Talcum powder. There is no way I'm taking their vaccine

by Anonymousreply 6February 27, 2021 11:57 PM

It's funny how the Oxford/Astrazeneca vaccine was what everybody was excited about early on but that has flopped. It still hasn't even been approved for use in America.

by Anonymousreply 7February 27, 2021 11:59 PM

I wonder if some people will refuse to take the J&J vaccine?

by Anonymousreply 8February 28, 2021 12:01 AM

I’m in a J&J trial for a two shot vaccine. Get my second on Tuesday. Maybe they’ll add a second shot...

by Anonymousreply 9February 28, 2021 12:04 AM

When you show up at a vaccine appointment you take whatever they give you r8. I don't know if people would really risk wasting their appointment, at least right now when they are so scarce to get.

by Anonymousreply 10February 28, 2021 12:05 AM

I heard JNJ was doing a trial to see how two shots work out, that's cool you are involved with that r9.

by Anonymousreply 11February 28, 2021 12:06 AM

This is the vaccine that does not need the cold chain. Shelf stable. This is AMAZING!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 28, 2021 12:11 AM

but I want the better ones like Pfizer and Moderna, not Johnson's. And I think I already know where Johnson's is heading - the poor neighborhood!

by Anonymousreply 13February 28, 2021 12:12 AM

This is what people keep ignoring:

[quote]The Janssen COVID-19 vaccine candidate demonstrated complete protection against COVID-related hospitalization and death, 28 days post-vaccination. There was a clear effect of the vaccine on COVID-19 cases requiring medical intervention (hospitalization, ICU admission, mechanical ventilation, extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO), with no reported cases among participants who had received the Janssen COVID-19 vaccine, 28 days post-vaccination.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14February 28, 2021 12:16 AM

How come the JJ Vaccine is not as effective?

by Anonymousreply 15February 28, 2021 12:18 AM

One huge difference is that it is currently being administered as a single shot r15. Pfizer and Moderna wouldn't have reported as strong of data if they kept it to one shot.

by Anonymousreply 16February 28, 2021 12:24 AM

NPR covers this JJ vacine

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17February 28, 2021 12:29 AM

Excerpt from NPR interview:

SIMON: Which sounds encouraging, but don't the vaccines from Pfizer and Moderna have better numbers?

PALCA: Yeah. Those numbers were closer to 95% efficacy. But you have to keep in mind a few things. First of all, those studies were done before these new variants started popping up. And it's possible - and laboratory results suggest that it is possible - that they won't work quite as well against the new variants. The other thing is that this vaccine did work in South Africa, where there is a variant that people are very worried about circulating. And that's good news. And the other really important thing is that this is a vaccine that can be given in one dose. So from a logistical standpoint, you come in, you get the thing, you're done. And public health officials would be very happy to have that as a tool in their arsenal when they're trying to control a pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 18February 28, 2021 12:31 AM

[R18]

So basically, the first two vaccines were not studied against the new variants. This JJ vaccines has and is proven to cut down on hospitalizations and deaths.

by Anonymousreply 19February 28, 2021 12:33 AM

everyone is going to want the JJ vaccine. Because it does what it suppose to do, even against these new variants, it is cheaper and avoids the logistical nightmares of the first two. The JJ Vaccine is a weaker vaccine, though it does do what is suppose to do, prevent hospitalizations and deaths.

Am I missing something here?

by Anonymousreply 20February 28, 2021 12:38 AM

Yes, basic grammar.

by Anonymousreply 21February 28, 2021 12:39 AM

Johnson and Johnson will be for the poors.

Mark my words.

by Anonymousreply 22February 28, 2021 12:40 AM

I would take the JJ if they had that on the day of appointment, and then wait for follow up to see if a second dose is recommended after the latest trial.

by Anonymousreply 23February 28, 2021 12:40 AM

A quick reminder that the standard seasonal flu shot is, on average, 60% effective.

I got the Pfizer vaccine, so I certainly hope it's effective against new strains. Time will tell.

by Anonymousreply 24February 28, 2021 12:42 AM

Pfizer is doing fine against the British variant in Israel.

The real question is that South African variant. That variant is a real bitch.

by Anonymousreply 25February 28, 2021 12:44 AM

I had the second Moderna shot a few days ago and within 7 hours was feeling unwell. Ended up with a fever (101) and body aches. headaches, chills, etc, for two days. Wow, hit me like a sucker punch. Feeling better now though - day 3.

by Anonymousreply 26February 28, 2021 12:45 AM

This is going to be a yearly vaccination program. The goal was always to get a one shot vaccine, no cold chain issue. You are never going to get the same vaccine because there are new variants. In this regards, it is like the influenza vaccination program.

by Anonymousreply 27February 28, 2021 12:45 AM

need to point out Johnson's is the traditional adenovirus vaccine (one-shot), Pfizer and Moderna are the new type mRNA vaccine (2-shot). I don't want to sound like a conspiracy maniac, but according to my friend who is in the biomedical research, mRNA vaccines have been studied for many years but there there weren't many breakthroughs in the past, part of the reason is the old approach of mRNA vaccine is the dose is too high, people would have serious reactions, only recently they developed this 2-shot approach to reduce the side effects, and Pfizer and Moderna are currently developing the 3rd boost shot to fend off the new variants etc, but he said we should be careful about the 3rd or 4th...boost shots , even the current two-shot approach is new and there are not many long term studies on it.

by Anonymousreply 28February 28, 2021 12:47 AM

I already had the first shot of Moderna, but if this becomes something we have to do every year I’d be fine with J&J. I think a lot of young people, who are likely to be asymptomatic, will prefer the one shot.

by Anonymousreply 29February 28, 2021 12:50 AM

I’m waiting for the JJ vaccine because it has fewer side effects compared to Pfizer and Moderna.

I have had a severe reaction to one particular vaccine in the past, and I’m nervous about the Pfizer vaccine after looking at anaphylactic reactions. If I didn’t have this experience, I would happily go with Pfizer.

by Anonymousreply 30February 28, 2021 12:52 AM

I’ll take whatever is available.

by Anonymousreply 31February 28, 2021 12:52 AM

These are weak vaccines, and the fear was, they would not work. All are working. The issue with the first two is the cold chain issue. This is a major problem, a logistical nightmare. We were always heading to one shot, no cold chain issue. This is the dream.

by Anonymousreply 32February 28, 2021 12:54 AM

I'm with r31. If you don't want yours, give it to me.

by Anonymousreply 33February 28, 2021 12:55 AM

I'm partial to the Pfizer one. Moderna's is the first drug they've ever brought to market. Pfizer is an established company and their drug has the same efficacy.

The JJ version should be used for people 16-39.

by Anonymousreply 34February 28, 2021 12:56 AM

Are Pfizer and Moderna working on a one shot version?

by Anonymousreply 35February 28, 2021 12:58 AM

Do we really have the option to choose which brand?

by Anonymousreply 36February 28, 2021 12:59 AM

[quote] The JJ version should be used for people 16-39.

But all three have the same efficacy in preventing both serious illness requiring hospitalization and death.

by Anonymousreply 37February 28, 2021 1:00 AM

Not yet, r36, but possibly next year we will.

by Anonymousreply 38February 28, 2021 1:00 AM

[quote]R34 The JJ version should be used for people 16-39.

Don’t give them [italic]anything[/italic] till they learn to show A LITTLE RESPECT!

by Anonymousreply 39February 28, 2021 1:09 AM

I got the first Pfizer shot this past week -- am a little freaked about all the reactions I've heard about the second one but also just impatient to take it and be done. Relieved when they offered me the Pfizer but yeah there was no choice offered, they just told me what I was getting as I sat down

by Anonymousreply 40February 28, 2021 1:09 AM

The issue was let JJ take as much time as needed to develop a good one shot vaccine, no cold chain. They succeeded. The issue with the first two were they are weak, so we did not know they would work? But they do work, so we started with those first. In this case, it is a vaccine development miracle. A great and historical achievement.

On the vaccine implementation front in the US, local county governments are purposely not vaccinating people with the first two vaccine. So many problems, and so much ineptitude and corruption. So the JJ Vaccine will solve so much of this problem. One shot, no follow up. It can be done at your medical doctor's office.

by Anonymousreply 41February 28, 2021 1:18 AM

Everyone I know who has had the second shot had the exact same reactions - chills, bad body aches and low fever, usually for two days. It’s going to be difficult to convince people to do that every year, I think, especially young people who are likely to be entirely asymptomatic if they contract the actual virus. So if the J&J shot has no side effects that’s a really good thing.

by Anonymousreply 42February 28, 2021 1:18 AM

I expected a strong reaction to the second Moderna shot; the first had given me mild symptoms, like back aches and fatigue. I'm surprised when I hear people who've had both that they had no symptoms at all. In fact, I suspect they may be lying now.

by Anonymousreply 43February 28, 2021 1:23 AM

66% is better than 0. I’ll gladly take the J&J vaccine. I can’t believe people are going to refuse to take it.

by Anonymousreply 44February 28, 2021 1:23 AM

[quote] Do we really have the option to choose which brand?

Yes, you do. Every place tells you what vaccine they are using, and you can chose which one you go to. You may have to wait longer or travel farther if the one you want is more popular, but that's your choice.

by Anonymousreply 45February 28, 2021 1:24 AM

[quote] and you can chose which one you go to.

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 46February 28, 2021 1:25 AM

[quote] Every place tells you what vaccine they are using,

Where are you located? None of the sites in my area tell you which shot you’ll get. In fact, did you read r40’s post?

by Anonymousreply 47February 28, 2021 1:27 AM

That's auto=correct, not me, R46!

by Anonymousreply 48February 28, 2021 1:28 AM

The Moderna worked out fine for me. Took two Excedrin after the shot, and had no side effects (save the injection pain, which lasted for three days).

Something about this feels off, but I am going to trust that Johnson & Johnson isn't going to kill y'all like they did so many with talcum powder for decades.

by Anonymousreply 49February 28, 2021 1:29 AM

[Quote]On the vaccine implementation front in the US, local county governments are purposely not vaccinating people with the first two vaccine

God people just spout whatever bullshit they want.

States have on average used about 80% of the supply they have received so far. You are just talking out of your ass r41. There was other bs, but that is the most blatant.

by Anonymousreply 50February 28, 2021 1:29 AM

R47, some don't, you have to look online for comments to find out.

by Anonymousreply 51February 28, 2021 1:30 AM

What are you reading?

Lots of problems with public vaccination sites. Vaccination at medical work sites are going well. Nursing Home vaccination and at risk adults going very poorly.

If your local county is not ordering enough supply to vaccinate the population in their phase, that is a problem they are causing. These local county officials are fucking morons. They should not be on this program, nor should they be in their positions. The Republican caused the epidemic to get out of hand and they are fucking up the vaccination program. GET RID OF THEM. Anti-science nutjobs are going to kill us all.

by Anonymousreply 52February 28, 2021 1:40 AM

Send the J&J one to the southern/deplorable states. Problem solved

by Anonymousreply 53February 28, 2021 1:43 AM

Monday, I had my second Pfizer shot

Tuesday, I felt as if I had a bad case of the flu.

Wednesday morning I woke up and felt totally fine.

by Anonymousreply 54February 28, 2021 1:46 AM

Local county republicans cannot figure out how to make 2 appointments time a month apart. This is the level of stupidity we are dealing with here.

Just vote all republicans out or fire them for this level of ineptitude. Go with the JJ vax at your medical doctors office. And yes, we need Medicare for all and medical doctors. We do not need a bunch or stupid and corrupt republicans doing jack shit and being paid for it.

by Anonymousreply 55February 28, 2021 1:48 AM

we cannot afford the republican party and their stupidity anymore.

by Anonymousreply 56February 28, 2021 1:50 AM

[Quote]If your local county is not ordering enough supply to vaccinate the population in their phase, that is a problem they are causing

Please stop. You are obviously clueless r41/r52. States get vaccines from the federal government that are just allocated evenly based on their population. There is not enough vaccine supply right now to meet the demand so obviously everyone can't get one right now. They can't just order more and solve the problem.

by Anonymousreply 57February 28, 2021 1:57 AM

[quote]I had the second Moderna shot a few days ago and within 7 hours was feeling unwell. Ended up with a fever (101) and body aches. headaches, chills, etc, for two days. Wow, hit me like a sucker punch. Feeling better now though - day 3.

How old are you? My mom gets her second shot next week and is worried about it. I told her that the side effects are worse in younger people (younger, in this case, being under 65) so that she'll probably be fine. She had zero side effects after the first one. Did you have any side effects after the first shot?

by Anonymousreply 58February 28, 2021 2:05 AM

I got both shots... Pfizer. When I was signing up, the health website allowed me to pick which vaccine I would get.

by Anonymousreply 59February 28, 2021 2:08 AM

[quote] Where are you located? None of the sites in my area tell you which shot you’ll get. In fact, did you read [R40]’s post?

Of course they tell you which shot you’ll get. They also ask if this is your first or second shot. You can’t have people mixing different vaccines for their first and second shot.

by Anonymousreply 60February 28, 2021 2:22 AM

[quote] Johnson's is the traditional adenovirus vaccine (one-shot), Pfizer and Moderna are the new type mRNA vaccine

A lot of people want the traditional vaccine instead of the mRNA one because they don’t want it to alter and rewrite their DNA.

by Anonymousreply 61February 28, 2021 2:24 AM

In NYC and I had no idea what shot I was getting until I was in front of the nurse about to get it and asked. Would not have been told otherwise and it was def not on the sign up form. But was grateful to get a shot at all.

by Anonymousreply 62February 28, 2021 2:24 AM

R60, they won't necessarily tell you what the first shot is. They will match your second shot to the first one after the fact at the time you get your first shot. That's how it works here anyway. My mother went to one of the sites run by the National Guard. It was all Moderna.

by Anonymousreply 63February 28, 2021 2:25 AM

When I went for my appointment in NJ no one told me what vaccine I was getting either until I asked the person giving it r62.

by Anonymousreply 64February 28, 2021 2:31 AM

R49 and everyone who have not taken the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, please do not take NSAIDS before and after getting the vaccines. Studies show decreased antibodies response when taking NSAIDS immediately before and after immunization with these vaccines.

by Anonymousreply 65February 28, 2021 2:35 AM

R61 oh please, learn some basics, mRNA vaccines do not rewrite your DNA, these are two totally different things. The concern here is mRNA vaccine dosage and the long term impact on health, but this kinda dilemma is not something new or unheard of, almost all medical breakthroughs came at a price of previous failures or initial miscalculations, we paid that in the past and we will pay that in the future too.

by Anonymousreply 66February 28, 2021 2:37 AM

I got my first shot of Pfizer today and have felt tired and achy all day.

That may be because my boyfriend and I had a mild sore throats and fatigue for a couple of weeks back in July. Although a home test came back negative at that time.

I've read that people who've had mild or asymptomatic cases reacted to the first injection more strongly, similar to how most people react to their second shots. Hopefully that means my second injection will cause a milder reaction.

by Anonymousreply 67February 28, 2021 2:41 AM

To follow up, if you have to, tame tylenol over NSAIDs immediately after these vaccines. But only if you have to, otherwise try to tough it out. I had fever, full body aches, and headache after my second shot of the Pfizer vaccine. It’s actually a sign that your immune system is responding as expected because it’s mounting a more serious reaction as if it’s ready to battle actual pathogens. So you’re not really sick as in having an infection.

by Anonymousreply 68February 28, 2021 2:42 AM

mRNA vaccines do not enter your cell's nucleus and do not interact with your DNA r61. Not to mention literally all they introduce is how to code for the corona spike protein.

by Anonymousreply 69February 28, 2021 2:58 AM

But can they track you? Are there transmitters in the vaccine?

by Anonymousreply 70February 28, 2021 3:03 AM

Why are Americans acting like they do not know what a vaccine is? We develop vaccines all the time.

by Anonymousreply 71February 28, 2021 3:03 AM

Yes Rose at R70, and now that I have had my shots, I glow in the dark and get Sirius radio.

by Anonymousreply 72February 28, 2021 3:07 AM

To be fair the technologies used in these vaccines is new r71. Which of course it is, science has progressed a lot from the early days of vaccine making. Those vaccines were using new techniques at the time too.

Also I hate it to break it to you r61 but the JNJ vaccine is the first of its type (adenoviral vector vaccine) to ever get FDA approval. So it also counts as new.

We have been studying mRNA treatment and using adenovirus vectors for a long time now.

by Anonymousreply 73February 28, 2021 3:11 AM

R70, they can track you and see everything that you do.

I couldn’t find my glasses earlier today. Instead of praying to St. Anthony, I logged onto the FDA app and within seconds it told me that my glasses were on top of my head.

by Anonymousreply 74February 28, 2021 3:12 AM

For those who are stuck on a specific vaccine, VaccineFinder has an option to search for only the one you want.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75February 28, 2021 6:15 AM

R63, doesn't Moderna also make balsamic vinegar?

by Anonymousreply 76February 28, 2021 6:39 AM

No, only apple cider vinegar.

by Anonymousreply 77February 28, 2021 1:03 PM

[quote] Of course they tell you which shot you’ll get. They also ask if this is your first or second shot.

Yes, but not before you make your very scarce appointment. They don’t hide the info from you, but if you make an appointment at, say a pharmacy, the appointment won’t say, “This is for the Pfizer vaccine.”

I think a lot has to do with whatever gets shipped.

by Anonymousreply 78February 28, 2021 1:05 PM

R72, can you open your mouth and tug on your left (I think it’s your left) ear please.

I hate this song and want to change the channel.

by Anonymousreply 79February 28, 2021 1:07 PM

Moderna sounds like a feminine hygiene product.

by Anonymousreply 80February 28, 2021 1:20 PM

r40 here -- the woman who administrated my shot said they'd just gotten a shipment of Pfizer in right before I got my dose -- I really got the impression everybody just gets whatever they happen to have at the moment (this was in NYC) -- I'm sure once the supplies meet the demand people can be picky but for right now it's take what you can get

by Anonymousreply 81February 28, 2021 1:46 PM

[quote]It's funny how the Oxford/Astrazeneca vaccine was what everybody was excited about early on but that has flopped. It still hasn't even been approved for use in America.

Yes, it's a total flop!

Millions of doses give in the UK, showing significant reductions in transmission, severity of illness, hospitalisation and death.

Millions of doses sent to Africa as part of the COVAX programme

German media is increasingly critical of the EU and Germany's stance on the vaccine. The translation from the Bild article headline is below:

[quote]AstraZeneca's vaccine arguably wrongly got a bad rap. New data from England show that the vaccine works much better than previously thought.

[quote]At BILD Plus you can read why older people in particular benefit from it and how the study could change the vaccination strategy in Germany.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82February 28, 2021 1:52 PM

Three vaccines. And not a fucking clue in hell whether any of them are worth the powder to blow them to hell, i.e., real-world data as to vaccine effectiveness.

And for people looking to Israel for effectiveness examples, such as R25, the reality is that Israel is still under almost total lockdown and has been for over three months. Shops, markets and malls recently open, but entrance is highly restricted. Gatherings of people are either highly restricted or forbidden. Some children have returned to school but on an extremely limited basis. The international airport remains closed. And of course, masks are mandatory outside the home.

There is no way to gauge vaccine effectiveness until such time as people are allowed to mingle, move freely without restriction.

by Anonymousreply 83February 28, 2021 1:58 PM

Please don't cite "Die Bild" which is a zero quality publication.

by Anonymousreply 84February 28, 2021 2:04 PM

I recognize the Oxford/AZN has been put to great use in the UK, but its roll out is a flop r82. It still does not have FDA approval because their initial clinical trial was a bit sloppy, and countries like Germany and France are (sadly) letting the vaccine sit unused as their citizens don't want to take it. That means the roll out was a flop.

by Anonymousreply 85February 28, 2021 2:08 PM

I have a friend refusing to take the J&J virus because it’s adenovirus based and the Russian vaccine uses the same technology. The right has no monopoly on previously sane people losing their mind following conspiracy theories.

by Anonymousreply 86February 28, 2021 2:11 PM

Speaking of the Russian vaccine, it's been around now for several months, has there been any (objective) data whether it actually works?

by Anonymousreply 87February 28, 2021 2:34 PM

It's a beautiful vaccine, very, very beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 88February 28, 2021 2:41 PM

I’m very anxious about side effects. I’d probably prefer one shot of J&J and be done with it.

by Anonymousreply 89February 28, 2021 3:05 PM

I got my first Moderna shot two weeks ago. Thirty-six hours later my fever shot up to 102 and I had chills. That lasted for about six hours and then suddenly went away. Does that just mean by body was mounting a robust response? Could it mean I had a previously undiagnosed case? Both?

by Anonymousreply 90February 28, 2021 4:02 PM

Like India, they've probably stopped testing, therefore -- lower infection rates.

[quote]Speaking of the Russian vaccine, it's been around now for several months, has there been any (objective) data whether it actually works?

by Anonymousreply 91February 28, 2021 4:18 PM

I plan on getting either the 2-shot Pfizer or Moderna this year, because I want to be better protected while Covid is still prevalent, especially with the new variants. However, next year, when we should be near or at herd immunity, I plan on getting the 1-shot J&J vaccine. I don't see most people going through the 2-shot regimen again when the virus is more contained. I see J&J becoming the standard vaccine by next year.

by Anonymousreply 92February 28, 2021 4:20 PM

I honestly don’t think you’ll have a choice this year, r92.

Vaccines are not widely available. If and when you’re lucky enough to get an appointment somewhere and they tell you “this is Pfizer,” are you going to say “Hold it! Nope. Don’t want Pfizer, I’m out of here”?

by Anonymousreply 93February 28, 2021 4:23 PM

I’m holding out for the Masters and Johnson one.

by Anonymousreply 94February 28, 2021 4:33 PM

I’m just holding out for the Masters.

by Anonymousreply 95February 28, 2021 4:39 PM

Just don't get the vaccine in your cooter or you'll get cancer of the vajayjay

by Anonymousreply 96February 28, 2021 4:42 PM

All these non-Germans quoting Bild and Spiegel as though they're authoritative and not click-bait type media during a game-changing election year in Germany.

Germans don't need AstraZeneca because they know that over the next few months they are going to get 10s of millions of the excellent German vaccine Cominarty made by the German pharma company BioNTech in collaboration with Pfizer. There is also going to be increased Moderna in the EU now that production has been ramped up and the EU is also going to get (according to a French minister, it sounds a little too much to me) 600 million doses of the Johnson and Johnson vaccine by June.

A person is in fact going to be fully vaccinated if they wait a couple of months for the BioNTech Pfizer vaccine because they will get their second dose 3 weeks later. With the AZ if you get your first dose next week you won't get your second until June and so will still have to be stuck at home.

The Johnson and Johnson vaccine is in fact another EU-developed vaccine as it was developed in the Netherlands by the Belgian company Janssen. There is probably going to be another German mRNA vaccine available in June as well, made by CureVac.

by Anonymousreply 97February 28, 2021 4:43 PM

[quote]It's funny how the Oxford/Astrazeneca vaccine was what everybody was excited about early on but that has flopped. It still hasn't even been approved for use in America.

Very odd, as the preliminary results from Scotland show its outperforming the Pfizer jab after one dose.

"LONDON (Reuters) - Scotland's vaccination drive appears to be markedly reducing the risk of hospitalisation for COVID-19, suggesting that both the Pfizer-BioNTech and Oxford-AstraZeneca shots are highly effective in preventing severe infections, preliminary study findings showed on Monday.

Results of the study covering the entire Scottish population of 5.4 million showed that by the fourth week after the initial dose, the Pfizer and AstraZeneca vaccines cut the risk of hospitalisation by up to 85% and 94% respectively."

Note that both have dropped from the 100% zero hospitalisations per the trial results. Nothing speaks more loudly than real world use.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98February 28, 2021 4:46 PM

The Moderna vaccine caused my penis to grow about one quarter inch, soft, which is surprising because I would've expected this side effect with the Johnson jab. Complaining/not complaining.

by Anonymousreply 99February 28, 2021 4:46 PM

R96, should I tell the vaccinator that, or should they know already?

TIA!

by Anonymousreply 100February 28, 2021 4:46 PM

[quote]Speaking of the Russian vaccine, it's been around now for several months, has there been any (objective) data whether it actually works?

Earlier this month, British medical journal the Lancet published a peer-reviewed paper that found the vaccine had 91.6 percent efficacy 21 days after the first shot and 91.8 percent for those over 60 years old, placing it on par with the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.

But I haven't seen anything about real-world results.

by Anonymousreply 101February 28, 2021 4:47 PM

The UK's "amazingly successful" rollout has produced very meagre results. Despite vaccinating for almost 2 months, the effect on case numbers and deaths is quite small when compared with similar results from Israel and EU countries that are now starting to release early results. The "evidence" r98 is parroting is based on tiny indications with lots of question marks, but it's of course what the British media pick up on.

Here's the very modest British vaccine effect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102February 28, 2021 4:51 PM

And here's some of the early results from Italy, which shows cases plummeting among those fully vaccinated, even while cases among the general (unvaccinated) population are starting to rise again.

The best results in the UK are from the care homes where residents were given two Pfizer doses at the right time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103February 28, 2021 4:53 PM

Here's an article that discusses the real data that is emerging from the UK's "successful" rollout:

Scotland's vaccine rollout suggests delaying the 2nd COVID-19 shot is a bad idea

The UK's strategy of delaying second coronavirus vaccine doses up to 12 weeks to give more people a first shot may carry serious risk.

On Monday, Scottish researchers released data from their vaccination campaign, including more than 1 million people who've been immunized, that suggests protection from a single dose peaks and then declines after about five weeks.

The Scottish data hasn't been published in a medical journal or reviewed by independent scientists. The results were posted as a preprint on Monday.

The experiment used medical records covering 5.4 million people, or 99% of the Scottish population and focused on people who had received a single shot of either the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine or the AstraZeneca-Oxford vaccine, the only two shots authorized in the UK. One dose helped protect against hospitalization, with effectiveness peaking about five weeks after immunization at 84% effective at preventing hospitalization.

But the follow-up data available beyond that time is where it gets concerning. Effectiveness peaked and then began to decline, going from 84% effective in the fifth week to 61% effective the following week and then 58% beyond then.

It's unknown whether that trend would continue beyond that, as that's all the data the researchers had available to crunch in the study. But the findings suggest that protection starts to wane from a single dose after five weeks or so.

That could have major implications for the UK's strategy, which delays people's second doses out to 12 weeks after the first dose. The urgency of the pandemic combined with the scarcity of available doses has led public-health leaders around the globe to mull whether it'd be better to get a single dose in as many people as possible or to provide two doses on time to fewer people.

Scotland, as part of the UK, is delaying second doses to make more first doses available. Both were tested in clinical trials as two-dose regimens, given 21 days and 28 days apart.

Vaccine experts say delaying 2nd dose 'is a mistake' Several vaccine experts said the data supported giving people the second dose at the times studied in large-scale clinical trials. These studies, which tested vaccines against placebo injections, were the basis for authorizing the shots and are seen as the highest-quality evidence in medical research.

"I think delaying the second dose for a considerable period of time is a mistake," Dr. Paul Offit, the director of the Vaccine Education Center at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, told Insider.

Dr. Kavita Patel, a primary-care physician who previously worked on healthcare policy in the Obama administration, also expressed concern about the data and what it suggested about delaying second doses.

In an email to Insider, Patel called delaying the second dose "dangerous," with the new Scottish data being "even more concerning." Patel also said she worried the public debate about whether to delay the second dose could be sending a harmful, unintentional message to the public. As doctors and public-health officials argue over whether to delay the second shot, that could send the wrong message to some people that the second dose isn't really all that important.

Maria Elena Bottazzi, a codirector of Texas Children's Hospital Center for Vaccine Development, said this data made it clear that people needed two doses of these vaccines.

The drop-off seen in the study — from 84% to 61% to 58% — isn't ideal and it'd be best to stick to the tested 21-day or 28-day intervals, Bottazzi said. "As much as possible we should stay as close to the times as per the data supported by the clinical trials," she added in an email.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104February 28, 2021 4:55 PM

A single-shot Covid-19 vaccine by US drugmaker Johnson and Johnson is likely to be approved for use in the European Union in early March, a French minister said on Sunday.

The vaccine was cleared for emergency use in the US on Saturday, becoming the third available vaccine there. The single-shot vaccine is highly effective in preventing severe Covid-19, including against newer variants, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) said before giving it the green light.

The French industry minister, Agnès Pannier-Runacher, told France 3 television that the European Medicines Agency (EMA) was also evaluating information transmitted by the US pharmaceuticals company.

An EU approval in early March would allow the vaccine to be rolled out in late March or early April, she said, adding this was “good news” because it offers protection with a single shot in contrast to other vaccines requiring two.

She said it was possible that a booster shot was needed later “but we can’t be sure yet”.

The EU hoped to receive 600m doses of the vaccine by the end of June, she said.

France has so far [fully] vaccinated 1.5 million people [with 2 doses], the minister said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105February 28, 2021 5:02 PM

R90, yes, odds are your fever was just your immune system reacting to the vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 106February 28, 2021 5:16 PM

I got the first Moderna shot 10 days ago. The injection into the muscle was nothing (surprise). 12 hours later minor soreness in the injection site and the next day a little sleepiness. A week later swelling in the injection site, but painless. But altogether nothing at all. The second shot may be another story, but I'm glad I'm getting the RNA 95-100% effective vaccine. Hope it lasts and hope it will be effective against the variants. It's clear no one really knows the answer to those questions.

by Anonymousreply 107February 28, 2021 5:29 PM

J&J, no way I am taking one of the mRNA vaccines... who knows what Side effects will occur. Way too new tech.

by Anonymousreply 108February 28, 2021 6:05 PM

R73, adenovirus vector vaccines are not new, they’ve been with us for awhile now and has demonstrated safety. Adenovirus used in vaccines are basically inactivated cold viruses. So no, the J&J vaccine is not based out of a novel modality, it’s been with us since the 1970s. I don’t know where you got that misinformation. The flu vaccines is the most common one, also ebola vaccine for instance is an adenoviral vaccine, so is the TB vaccine that’s widely used in East Asian countries.

by Anonymousreply 109February 28, 2021 6:12 PM

I'm hopefully solving two problems at once on Tuesday: a colonoscopy at 8 am and the Pfizer shot at 1 in the afternoon. I say that because my doc said that's what the hospital has been getting but who knows? If it's the Moderna I'm not gonna refuse it. The Beth Israel Hospital is giving the shots at Temple Israel across the street so I'm expecting some divine intervention that it works. And while I'm getting the first shot, my husband will be getting his second one at Tufts, so starting in April we'll be good to go. I'll continue to mask, distance, and wash my hands like Lady MacBeth but I'll feel better about going to the store and hopefully - they still haven't re-opened mine - to the gym.

by Anonymousreply 110February 28, 2021 6:39 PM

I don’t want the J&J vaccine. T

by Anonymousreply 111February 28, 2021 6:40 PM

I want both johnsons in me quite deeply.

by Anonymousreply 112February 28, 2021 6:46 PM

R111 here. Johnson and Johnson lied about asbestos in its baby powder for decades. A few years ago, memos from the 1950s surfaced, proving J&J execs were aware of the danger, but hid it from the public.

In 2020, J&J had to suddenly halt one of its COVID vaccine trials because of some unnamed “unintended side effect” in one of its test subjects. Now all of a sudden J&J is getting clearance to drop a vaccine that is not nearly as effective as the others. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 113February 28, 2021 6:49 PM

That little runt Fauxi is saying to get any vaccine you can get.

by Anonymousreply 114February 28, 2021 6:53 PM

[quote] and wash my hands like Lady MacBeth

😂😂

by Anonymousreply 115February 28, 2021 7:05 PM

R108 the side effect is one year after the injection you grow into a godzilla.

by Anonymousreply 116February 28, 2021 7:16 PM

I’m cool with that.

Godzilla is hung.

by Anonymousreply 117February 28, 2021 7:23 PM

These guys support the Johnson and Johnson vaccine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118February 28, 2021 7:32 PM

Of those who have had at least the first shot, were you given an index-sized card with your name, date, the drug name and dosage listed? I got one but friends who went to a different vaccination site did not. The card, from the CDC, has space for info on the second dose as well. (Mine second shot is next week).

by Anonymousreply 119February 28, 2021 7:42 PM

R119: first shot at Javits center in NYC and yes, received a CDC card marking vaccination details.

Javits center is very very nicely organized. Feels like they're set up to vaccinate many more people than they have doses, though.

by Anonymousreply 120February 28, 2021 7:52 PM

States force people to go to websites to schedule receiving vaccine appointments. Some are confusing, poorly structured, and behind in updates.

That works against many elderly and disabled that are not computer savvy or have direct access to one. Calling is 'hit and miss', depending on the locale.

I've received both shots, but had to search outside my region.

by Anonymousreply 121February 28, 2021 7:58 PM

Can somebody explain how I should behave after I get my second dose in a couple of weeks? What is a responsible way to change my behavior, if at all? I know I have to keep masking, social distancing, et cetera, I get that. But can I go visit my family then? The people I want to visit will have gotten their second doses before I do. I haven't seen them in a year and a half. That will be alright, right? To go see them? Will I be able to hug my (vaccinated) mom?

by Anonymousreply 122February 28, 2021 10:05 PM

R122, once vaccinated you no longer have to wear a mask and you can go anywhere and do anything and touch, kiss, lick, fuck, and breed anyone.

I’m not kidding.

by Anonymousreply 123February 28, 2021 10:06 PM

[quote] I'll continue to mask, distance, and wash my hands like Lady MacBeth but I'll feel better about going to the store and hopefully - they still haven't re-opened mine - to the gym.

Pointless paranoia. I’ve been wearing a mask in public for a year and if anything I’m far less worried about COVID now. Once I get a vaccine—are you kidding?

Your COVID anxiety should go way, way down once you complete two rounds of the vaccine. Otherwise why are you even bothering?

by Anonymousreply 124February 28, 2021 10:11 PM

[quote]R122, you can see family members that have been vaccinated as long as enough time has passed since their (and your) second vaccination. The CDC will be publishing guidelines for the fully vaccinated, perhaps this week.

by Anonymousreply 125February 28, 2021 10:11 PM

What R125 didn’t tell you is that you can visit those family members WITHOUT MASKS ON. Your mother? Tongue kiss her. For god’s sake.

by Anonymousreply 126February 28, 2021 10:12 PM

Unlike you, R124, some people actually care about the health of their fellow human beings.

by Anonymousreply 127February 28, 2021 10:12 PM

I know a number of people who are afraid of taking the mRNA vaccines, and that's why it may be easier to sell the more traditional J&J vaccine to them. I had my first shot of the Moderna vaccine, a mRNA vaccine, last week. I am aware of a lot of phony scare stories about the mRNA vaccines, but I wondered if there were any basis at all for that fear.

I found one site that quoted Tal Brosh, head of the Infectious Disease Unit at Samson Assuta Ashdod Hospital in Israel. He talked about the POSSIBLE BUT NOT PROVEN risks of the mRNA vaccine.

[quote] (Brosh) acknowledged that there are unique and unknown risks to messenger RNA vaccines, including local and systemic inflammatory responses that could lead to autoimmune conditions.

[quote] An article published by the National Center for Biotechnology Information, a division of the National Institutes of Health, said other risks include the bio-distribution and persistence of the induced immunogen expression; possible development of auto-reactive antibodies; and toxic effects of any non-native nucleotides and delivery system components.

The article then goes on to quote another doctor who believes the known risks of contracting Covid-19 should be weighed against the unknown risks of an mRNA vaccine.

I think it would be smart for younger people to get the J&J vaccine and possibly avoid the strong side effects of an mRNA vaccine and some of the other unknowns. They may have a choice of vaccine by late spring or summer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128February 28, 2021 10:15 PM

Because r124 I'm not worried about it harming ME post-vaccine but you can still be a carrier once you've gotten the shot, and I don't want to hurt other people -- is that gibberish or something?

by Anonymousreply 129February 28, 2021 10:16 PM

[quote] Unlike you, [R124], some people actually care about the health of their fellow human beings.

Let me guess, you’re the sort of woman who would make her husband wear a condom even though she’s taking a birth control pill?

What. Is. The. Point.

It’s that kind of confusing, hysterical messaging that’s going to cause a lot of people to refuse the vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 130February 28, 2021 10:25 PM

R130 is why we can’t have nice things.

by Anonymousreply 131February 28, 2021 10:26 PM

r130 is the only one who sounds hysterical, and the only one who sounds like he's got nobody he cares about or who loves him, so let him go off if it makes him feel big

by Anonymousreply 132February 28, 2021 10:28 PM

I don’t “feel big”, R132, I’m just not signaling my virtues or exalting in my paranoia. I’ve dutifully worn in all public spaces, including in fucking parks when there’s no one near me, for a year. I’m going to get vaccinated like any sensible person would.

Here is what we know about the effects of the vaccine, broadly:

[quote] In a recent preprint study which has yet to be peer reviewed, Israeli researchers tested 2,897 vaccinated people for signs of coronavirus infection. Most had no detectable virus, but people who were infected had one-quarter the amount of virus in their bodies as unvaccinated people tested at similar times post-infection.

[quote]Less coronavirus virus means less chance of spreading it, and if the amount of virus in your body is low enough, the probability of transmitting it may reach almost zero. However, researchers don’t yet know where that cutoff is for the coronavirus, and since the vaccines don’t provide 100% protection from infection, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that people continue to wear masks and social distance even after they’ve been vaccinated.

Read that as many times as you need to.

The longer the vaccines are available, and the more people who’ve been vaccinated, the less it will make sense for people like you to remain so paranoid and stupidly judgmental.

by Anonymousreply 133February 28, 2021 10:37 PM

I don't want the J&J. I want Pfizer. Protecting against severe illness and hospitalization isn't enough for me. I want the drug that's got the highest efficacy in making sure I don't get this fucking thing at all. Because even people who have had mild cases have dropped dead of strokes or blood clots, turned out to have brain and memory issues and their lungs are swiss cheese no matter what. I'm not telling anyone else what to do. I'm just saying MY goal is to not get this fucking thing at all, and J&J doesn't seem the best candidate for that.

by Anonymousreply 134February 28, 2021 10:37 PM

The article I quoted from, published yesterday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135February 28, 2021 10:38 PM

Media and politicians are aggressively trying to reassure us that the J&J vaccine is just wonderful. Some are even admonishing us not to be so “picky.” How did they expect people to react to a vaccine that’s only 60% effective when the others are proven to be 90% (or more) effective?

J&J must have promised to spend a lot of money on ads, campaign donations, etc., to secure that level of support for their crappy offering. And I’m sure the fact that it costs the government a lot less to subsidize the inferior, single dose vaccine made by the asbestos company is at least one of the reasons we’re being subjected to this PR campaign.

by Anonymousreply 136February 28, 2021 10:38 PM

Yup. The sudden push for J&J as this miracle is a little too convenient, especially when no one was all that thrilled about it until we ran out of good vaccines. Now all of a sudden it's good?

by Anonymousreply 137February 28, 2021 10:43 PM

[quote] How did they expect people to react to a vaccine that’s only 60% effective

100% effective against hospitalization.

by Anonymousreply 138February 28, 2021 10:43 PM

R138, big deal. I don’t want COVID, period, whether it land me in the hospital or not.

My fit, healthy 30-year-old cousin got COVID last April. She wasn’t hospitalized, but she was sick and out of work for at least six weeks. And she still gets bad headaches and bouts of fatigue she never had before.

by Anonymousreply 139February 28, 2021 10:49 PM

And if she had been vaccinated, she wouldn’t have gotten that sick, R139.

Jesus Christ

by Anonymousreply 140February 28, 2021 10:51 PM

[Quote]especially when no one was all that thrilled about it until we ran out of good vaccines.

What on earth are you talking about r137? The Pfizer and Moderna supply has been steadily increasing, we haven't run out of anything.

And one dose of JNJ vaccine in America (South Africa brought down the average) had an efficacy rate of 73%. One dose of Pfizer or Moderna would probably have an efficacy rate around 80%

The reality is you can catch covid after any of the three vaccines, but all lower your chance of catching it, and more importantly all of them are incredibly good at making you recover from covid much, much easier rather than having a serious case.

by Anonymousreply 141February 28, 2021 10:52 PM

[quote] I want the drug that's got the highest efficacy in making sure I don't get this fucking thing at all. Because even people who have

The vaccines don’t prevent you from getting it, they prevent you from getting ill from it. And if you do get ill, they’re designed to prevent you from getting seriously ill, requiring hospitalization, or death. That’s why it’s important to continue to wear masks for now until there are data that will reveal whether you can still spread it even if you’ve been vaccinated.

by Anonymousreply 142February 28, 2021 10:53 PM

[quote] The sudden push for J&J as this miracle is a little too convenient,

They’ve been talking about this vaccine for months and following its progress through testing, etc. We knew it was coming. It’s hardly being touted as a miracle.

by Anonymousreply 143February 28, 2021 10:54 PM

Great, then you take it, R143. No one is stopping you. Anyone who wants it should take it. I prefer to take Pfizer. That's my choice, not yours.

by Anonymousreply 144February 28, 2021 10:58 PM

R140 seems a bit too invested in the J&J vaccine.

Meanwhile, just a few months ago, Johnson and Johnson had to halt its vaccine trial due to “unexplained illness”...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145February 28, 2021 10:58 PM

I’m with you, R144, I’ll wait for the Pfizer vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 146February 28, 2021 11:01 PM

[quote] I prefer to take Pfizer. That's my choice, not yours.

Not right now it’s not. No one is getting a choice of vaccines. There’s a severe shortage of them so if and when you do land an appointment, they don’t make it a buffet for you to choose.

by Anonymousreply 147February 28, 2021 11:03 PM

Let's hope most Americans aren't that dumb, I would hope people want to end the pandemic by taking a vaccine as soon as they can rather than waiting around playing favorites based on clinical trial data that might not even exactly match the real world. (For instance right now data in Scotland is showing they are having slightly better luck with Astrazeneca vaccine than Pfizer)

by Anonymousreply 148February 28, 2021 11:08 PM

[quote][R122], once vaccinated you no longer have to wear a mask and you can go anywhere and do anything and touch, kiss, lick, fuck, and breed anyone.

Don't listen to this fucking moron. You can still give it to unvaccinated people after you are vaccinated. Until we reach a decent level of herd immunity and all the most vulnerable are protected through vaccination, we still have to wear masks and distance. If you are going to be in a group where everyone has been vaccinated, then you can pretty much go back to normal. After you are vaccinated, it's about protecting others as if you are an asymptomatic carrier.

The J&J vaccine is 100% protective against moderate and severe illness and hospitalization by one month after vaccination. One hundred percent. No one who was vaccinated with J&J got very sick after their vaccination took complete effect. Just like Pfizer and Moderna. The assholes and morons on here who DO NOT know what they are talking about are going to cause this pandemic to last longer.

by Anonymousreply 149February 28, 2021 11:09 PM

[quote]Let's hope most Americans aren't that dumb

Have you read this thread?

by Anonymousreply 150February 28, 2021 11:10 PM

No, R148. “Dumb” is accepting a less effective vaccine from a company with a demonstrated track record of lying about asbestos in its products.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151February 28, 2021 11:11 PM

I have to agree with R150. I expect DLers to be a cut above, but the conspiracy theories, the misinformation, the paranoia on this thread make you guys sound like a bunch of flyover rubes. Stop this madness.

by Anonymousreply 152February 28, 2021 11:13 PM

The new mRNA technology feels like a major medical breakthrough, like the beginning of what will lead to the technology we see in futuristic movies. I doubt it will be perfected in my lifetime but it’s exciting to see it begin.

by Anonymousreply 153February 28, 2021 11:14 PM

A reminder that Russia and China have entire troll farms dedicated to sowing doubt about all Western vaccines.

by Anonymousreply 154February 28, 2021 11:15 PM

Hopefully r153, the potential of mRNA is huge but using it for a vaccine application is a lot easier than using for a disease treatment.

That is why even before covid happened Moderna had already switched course to focus on vaccines.

by Anonymousreply 155February 28, 2021 11:17 PM

Well frankly a lot of DLers are flyover rubes who live with mother in the town they grew up in r152. The educated professional who lives in a major metro stereotype is only some of the posters.

by Anonymousreply 156February 28, 2021 11:20 PM

R152: fuck off, Johnson and Johnson flack. For the past year, I’ve been the poster child for masking up, social distancing, and staying at home. I’m not going to be bullied into taking a second rate vaccine. I’d rather put up with another year of this BS than take a second-rate J&J shot.

by Anonymousreply 157February 28, 2021 11:21 PM

I just got my second dose of the Pfizer vaccine. My only reaction to either dose was slight pain in my shoulder.

by Anonymousreply 158February 28, 2021 11:25 PM

[quote]Can somebody explain how I should behave after I get my second dose in a couple of weeks? What is a responsible way to change my behavior, if at all?

You are protected after your second dose. You are free to go live your life as you please.

I've always been a germaphobe, and this pandemic has only validated my fears of how dirty most people really are. I will continue to wash my hands frequently, as I did before the pandemic. Washing your hands and not touching your face should be a permanent habit going forward for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 159February 28, 2021 11:27 PM

R158, my dad (who is 78) got his second Pfizer shot two weeks ago. The only discomfort he experienced was pain around the injection site. Pretty good considering what some people experienced after the second shot.

by Anonymousreply 160February 28, 2021 11:27 PM

R157, you are ignorant. The fact that you wallow in that ignorance is pathetic. Go read some more about the J&J vaccine. You really do not know what you are talking about. You are no better than anti-vaxxers who spout crap because of their uneducated feelings instead of actual data.

by Anonymousreply 161February 28, 2021 11:28 PM

Then we’ll never get to herd immunity and will be dealing with various strains that the vaccines may not have an effect on, r157.

This is precisely why all medical professionals are emphasizing we need to get as many people vaccinated as quickly as possible.

Next year you can take your Pfizer or Moderna or, who knows, maybe they’ll be more. But for now, get the jab and help your fellow humans.

by Anonymousreply 162February 28, 2021 11:28 PM

JNJ, Moderna, Pfizer all had zero people who were vaccinnated going to the hospital due to covid in their trials. When it comes to key metric the data looked identical. Can't be said enough.

by Anonymousreply 163February 28, 2021 11:31 PM

R161, Google “asbestos” and “Johnson and Johnson.” Google “Johnson and Johnson” and its failed October 2020 vaccine trial.

I will mask up, social distance, do what I’ve been doing, AND get a Pfizer or Modern vaccine. I am not getting the J&J vaccine.

J&J has spent a lot of time and money arguing the safety of its baby powder. And then those 1950s memos leaked out...oops!

So yeah, YOU get J&J vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 164February 28, 2021 11:33 PM

^^Moderna^^

by Anonymousreply 165February 28, 2021 11:34 PM

[quote] [[R122]], once vaccinated you no longer have to wear a mask and you can go anywhere and do anything and touch, kiss, lick, fuck, and breed anyone.

[quote]Don't listen to this fucking moron.

I was obviously kidding, you stick-in-the-mud.

The fact remains that after a few more months, a LOT more people will have been vaccinated than have been now, especially the most vulnerable groups. Obviously. Once fully vaccinated, let’s say with 2 rounds of Pfizer, if you still somehow manage to contract the virus (which is itself unlikely as most people are continuing to wear masks—what’s the current infection rate for the US? It’s going down, isn’t it?), you are unlikely to become ill. The chance of *asymptomatic spread* from a vaccinated, infected but not sick person to an unvaccinated person is expected to be *very low*. We don’t know that FOR SURE yet, but this what public health experts are predicting.

And if the unvaccinated people around you are continuing to wear masks, as unvaccinated people should be doing, their chance of contracting it from you, a vaccinated but somehow infected, yet asymptomatic person, is lower yet. Masks don’t just protect others, they also protect the mask wearer from getting infecting himself. Let’s not forget that.

As months go by, and more people are vaccinated, the likelihood of a vaccinated person transmitting the virus to a member of a high risk group and making them seriously ill or killing them, will decrease even further, because there will be fewer and fewer unvaccinated people out there, especially those in high risk groups.

by Anonymousreply 166February 28, 2021 11:37 PM

[quote] JNJ, Moderna, Pfizer all had zero people who were vaccinnated going to the hospital due to covid in their trials. When it comes to key metric the data looked identical. Can't be said enough.

Yes but what fun is that for hysterics and paranoid conspiracy freaks here

by Anonymousreply 167February 28, 2021 11:38 PM

[quote] Washing your hands and not touching your face should be a permanent habit going forward for everyone.

I will wash when I feel like it, and touch whatever part of my body I want, whenever I want.

by Anonymousreply 168February 28, 2021 11:43 PM

R167, no need to resort to name calling when someone disagrees with you. No one is preventing you from getting a J&J vaccine. In fact, we hope you do! It means more Pfizer and Moderna doses will be available for the rest of us.

by Anonymousreply 169February 28, 2021 11:43 PM

R169, if this:

[quote] I’d rather put up with another year of this BS than take a second-rate J&J shot

...isn’t worthy of derision, I don’t know what is.

If all that’s available is the J&J, for some reason, and you refuse to get it, you’re just delaying herd immunity.

However, it’s likely to be more popular in spite of people like you, because it’s a one-shot vaccine, making it more appealing to people who are wary of going through the process twice. So I’m sure it’ll all work out for everyone. You’re STILL a conspiracy theorist, though.

All I can say is, if by the end of summer there are still members of the most vulnerable groups who aren’t vaccinated, I have little sympathy for them if they somehow manage to contract it from a vaccinated person. I think they’d have to be actively trying to get it at that point, for fuck’s sake. We will likely reach herd immunity by then anyway.

by Anonymousreply 170March 1, 2021 12:08 AM

It's not paranoia: it's the continuing ability to live my daily life. I won't be able to go into a store, the supermarket, the bank, the Post Office, the hospital, or a doctor's or dentist's office without a mask, vaccinated or not, let alone a restaurant or a bar or a theater because they're still closed. Let's see how far I get when I tell the cop out front or the manager inside that R124 on Datalounge says wearing a mask now that I'm vaccinated is "pointless paranoia." The only thing that's pointless is your post because your opinion won't get me through those doors. Wearing a mask will.

Massachusetts has been hardcore about requiring masks and enforcing the rules to wear them. This isn't some bumfuck, fundie, Covid-denialist shithole where mask wearing is optional, in-person church services are full and the bars are open because: "muh freedoms." Those are the kind of places where the rate of positive Covid tests is off the charts. Science, not politics or willful ignorance, has driven the Massachusetts response so far; understandably as it's home to the biotech and life-science industries. The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines we're talking about are made here, for Chrissakes. That's one reason the positivity rate as of Friday was 1.8%, not the 23% rate in South Dakota or the 20% plus positivity rates in Idaho, Alabama, Kansas, and Iowa. Good on 'em: they're leaders in something, I guess. Here we think a 1.8% rate is awful: it should be half of that or less. It won't be if people stop wearing masks.

When my gym reopens, a mask will be required to get near the front door let alone go inside and work out because it's on a college campus which is requiring two Covid swabs a week for the limited number of students in residence and the few staff working onsite. Masks and temperature checks are mandatory for anyone walking onto the campus and Commencement has already been cancelled for this year. It's easy to spout nonsense on an anonymous chat site but a bit harder to negotiate the real world. And the real world I live in - along with the virus - doesn't give a shit what you think.

by Anonymousreply 171March 1, 2021 1:18 AM

Fuck the J&J shills on here. Those who prefer to take another vaccine have made it abundantly clear as to why, are not deriding anyone who wants the J&J vaccine and are not at all advocating anyone else do as they are choosing to do. Yet the J&J shills are still resorting to name calling and general assholery.

I feel more comfortable waiting until I know I can get Pfizer. I'm not asking anyone else to do the same. I don't expect anyone on an anonymous chat board to take advice from me (pretty much because I'm not offering any advice. I don't care what vaccine you take, as long as you take one). I just know what's right for ME. Not you, J&J shills, not anyone else, but what's right for ME. I'm having a discussion, which I have every right to participate in, so please fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 172March 1, 2021 1:42 AM

R171, in a matter of months, it is likely that vaccinated people will no longer be advised to wear masks at all times because a) we will be reaching herd immunity, and b) it’s likely that studies (one or two new ones are due the next two weeks) will show that vaccination (2-3 weeks post- 2nd jab) dramatically reduces transmission to unvaccinated people.

Of course if a store is requiring a mask, you have to wear one. I expect I will. But that’s different from being paranoid and uninformed about the level of transmissibility among vaccinated people.

by Anonymousreply 173March 1, 2021 2:33 AM

Of course all bets are off if the South African variant becomes dominant. If that happens, we're fucked.

by Anonymousreply 174March 1, 2021 2:47 AM

It means it's working, R90.

by Anonymousreply 175March 1, 2021 2:54 AM

Why are Americans regurgitating the ranting of a meth head who watched clips of that zombie dog movie?

Up your science literacy people. Dr Antony Fauci, he is a world renown scientist, medical doctor and Public Health Expert. Just listen to him.

by Anonymousreply 176March 1, 2021 3:02 AM

To the person fear mongering about the Johnson & Johnson vaccine - Everyone knows what happened in the J&J trial - Someone had a stroke and they always stop trials if shit like that happens. It had nothing to do with the vaccine. Also, the talcum powder? Who gives a shit! Wtf does baby powder have to do with a vaccine?

by Anonymousreply 177March 1, 2021 3:15 AM

I love the talcum powder troll.

by Anonymousreply 178March 1, 2021 3:19 AM

I love the idiots on here who keep saying, "I'm gonna do what I wanna do" concerning the J&J vaccine without realizing they sound just like motherfucking Trump loons. Facts are facts. J&J is safe and effective. To say and think otherwise makes you a conspiracy nut. Congrats.

Also, you are putting other people at risk by not getting whatever vaccine you can get as fast as you can get it. So, you're also a selfish asshole. Again, just like Trump and his loons.

by Anonymousreply 179March 1, 2021 4:27 AM

I don't know what you guys are fighting for now. I signed up for vaccine three weeks ago so far I haven't heard back anything. "I will not take Johnson's!", oh please, how about wait till you receive the notice that the vaccine is ready for you? then you can proudly decline it if your vaccine turns out be the inferior Johnson's

by Anonymousreply 180March 1, 2021 5:17 AM

And? R180

by Anonymousreply 181March 1, 2021 5:34 AM

and you can come here bitching about you were just offered Johnson's and you said no!

by Anonymousreply 182March 1, 2021 5:37 AM

I didn't mean it literally, dear. It was just my way of saying no one gives a fuck what you think.

by Anonymousreply 183March 1, 2021 5:40 AM

but you clearly do, you are more than welcome to reply for the 3rd time, literally or not!

by Anonymousreply 184March 1, 2021 5:43 AM

Can I get one of each? Would that protect me better?

by Anonymousreply 185March 1, 2021 5:51 AM

Bad news for fatties - the Pfizer vaccine doesn't appear to be as effective as on non fatties.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186March 1, 2021 7:21 AM

J&J has screwed up more than once when they failed at meeting standards for Good Manufacturing Practice. No excuse for this other than greed.

by Anonymousreply 187March 1, 2021 8:45 AM

Just get the bloody vaccine shot you fools.. Any will do in my book. Better than being on a ventilator, post covid effects and worse HOSPITAL BILLS

by Anonymousreply 188March 1, 2021 8:47 AM

I had my second dose of Pfizer on 2/16. Two weeks ends today, and I'm going to get my hair cut and go into a grocery store for the first time sin almost a year.

by Anonymousreply 189March 1, 2021 8:52 AM

R7, they're dumping the Oxford/Astrazeneca vaccine in the third world - that should tell you something.

by Anonymousreply 190March 1, 2021 9:03 AM

R190 By the 3rd world if you mean UK, France or Germany, then you are right, otherwise you are full of fuckin shit! The Oxford/Astrazeneca is available in Europe and just approved in Canada, 130 other countries currently no vaccines, absolutely nothing available to them.

by Anonymousreply 191March 1, 2021 9:55 AM

Not full of shit, it's being distributed across the African Union, you Eurocentric prick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192March 1, 2021 11:19 AM

Great news. Meanwhile here in Norway 2 % of the population have been vaccinated. The pace is way too slow.

by Anonymousreply 193March 1, 2021 11:21 AM

R190 The AstraZeneca vaccine was not approved here in Norway for the elderly (aged 65+). It is instead used on health workers.

by Anonymousreply 194March 1, 2021 11:23 AM

“Just get the blood vaccine shot, you fools. Any will do in my book.”

Dr. R188 has spoken! If it’s okay in “your book,” well then, the debate is over!

by Anonymousreply 195March 1, 2021 12:21 PM

R192 Report back us ONLY AFTER SA actually shipped the vaccines to said African union countries, 20 of them, 110 more to go!

by Anonymousreply 196March 1, 2021 12:32 PM

R194 you are not alone, I don't think Oxford/AstraZeneca is approved for elderly in any countries, other than that, it's widely used across Europe.

by Anonymousreply 197March 1, 2021 12:39 PM

[quote] Google “asbestos” and “Johnson and Johnson.”

Yea, I've never been convinced those cases were backed by a real scientific link to the cancer.

It almost seems like some huge racket like the Satanic child abuse cases. Sketchy evidence about a heart tugging issue fueling outrage. I do know that plaintiffs' attorneys spent $400 million in a recent year advertising for clients on TV.

by Anonymousreply 198March 1, 2021 1:32 PM

The 3 groups of potential vaccine recipient that need more quality data and research before getting the vaccine are childen, pregnant women and those who have had Covid.

by Anonymousreply 199March 1, 2021 1:36 PM

An elderly women in a seniors home in Vancouver last month: She got the first shot. Then the home decides to transfer some people to a different facility. The first one was buckling under the load. So she arrives at the second home. She has Alzheimers and is unable to speak. They lined them up and gave them a second shot a week or so later. They were two different brands of vaccines.

There’s no data on it of course, and the family is horrified at what may go wrong. So much for quality of life.

by Anonymousreply 200March 1, 2021 2:07 PM

[quote]Washing your hands and not touching your face should be a permanent habit going forward for everyone.

Who wasn't washing their hands before all of this? You needed a pandemic to make a habit of washing your hands?

by Anonymousreply 201March 1, 2021 2:17 PM

[quote]An elderly women in a seniors home in Vancouver last month: She got the first shot. Then the home decides to transfer some people to a different facility. The first one was buckling under the load. So she arrives at the second home. She has Alzheimers and is unable to speak. They lined them up and gave them a second shot a week or so later. They were two different brands of vaccines. There’s no data on it of course, and the family is horrified at what may go wrong. So much for quality of life.

Vaccine errors happen and hopefully the staff at both homes will learn from it and make adjustments in the future to check and double check. But it would have been a far worse outcome if she'd missed the vaccine in the first home and the second home made the error of thinking she'd had it and she was left unvaccinated.

by Anonymousreply 202March 1, 2021 2:30 PM

R201 Not twenty times a day, as now.

Were you?

by Anonymousreply 203March 1, 2021 3:07 PM

In my city, they are reserving the J&J vaccine for at-risk communities who are unlikely to get a second shot. I think that's smart.

Pfizer and Moderna will need to develop a one-shot vaccine by next year, or they will lose out to J&J going forward. Most people will not go through a two-shot process again if the virus is contained and we are at herd immunity. It needs to be quick and easy like the annual flu vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 204March 1, 2021 3:28 PM

Quick and easy, r204? This is a life-saving vaccine, not one of your grindr hookups.

by Anonymousreply 205March 1, 2021 3:41 PM

[quote] In my city, they are reserving the J&J vaccine for at-risk communities who are unlikely to get a second shot. I think that's smart.

WaPo just did a story on this. Governors and others have a different view about this.

[quote] Johnson & Johnson vaccine deepens concerns over racial and geographic inequities

[quote] Governors weigh ease of use against perception of a two-tiered system if new coronavirus vaccine is deployed primarily to harder-to-reach communities

[quote] The apparent differences [between the mRNA vaccines and J&J] could nonetheless create uncomfortable questions for state and local leaders promoting the new vaccine to people who might ask, as one person paraphrased his comments, “Why didn’t you give us the good stuff?”

[quote] “If we end up with a hierarchy that says all rich White people get Pfizer, and all poor Black people get J&J, that would be a problem,” said Helene D. Gayle, president and chief executive of the Chicago Community Trust, one of the largest community foundations in the country.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206March 1, 2021 3:50 PM

Medical shills furious that some can see through their schemes.

by Anonymousreply 207March 1, 2021 4:05 PM

For the eldergays and those with elderly parents:

"Now, a new study from the CDC of COVID vaccines given between Dec. 14 and Jan. 13 showed that seniors are far less likely to experience side effects. According to the report, which was published in the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report on Feb. 26, less than 3.7 percent of people aged 65-74 years old experienced adverse side effects after receiving the vaccine. (The figures were broadly similar across both the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines.) The figure dropped even lower to 1.2 percent in the next age bracket up (75-84 year olds). By contrast, 64.9 percent of 18-49 year olds reported an "adverse event" after being vaccinated. And for more on how to prepare for your dose, find out why The CDC Says Don’t Do This Within 2 Weeks of Your COVID Vaccine."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208March 1, 2021 4:54 PM

Super cautious Japan waited later than most of the first world nations in getting vaccines. They looked at the data, had their own trials and they’re going with Pfizer over other contenders.

by Anonymousreply 209March 1, 2021 5:00 PM

One of my fuck buds is a doctor and says the moderna one is the best to get. Ok, he's actually a DO, but that's still technically a doctor.

by Anonymousreply 210March 1, 2021 5:51 PM

Which one does Dr. Phil recommend?

by Anonymousreply 211March 1, 2021 6:04 PM

I want the talcum powder vaccine. Is CVS offering that?

by Anonymousreply 212March 1, 2021 6:20 PM

The issue with obesity should be no surprise to anyone. That was being speculated about months ago. It's one of the reasons I made sure to lose weight during quarantine instead of sitting on my ass and shoving cupcakes down my hole.

by Anonymousreply 213March 1, 2021 6:41 PM

[quote]If it’s okay in “your book,” well then, the debate is over!

Idiot. There is no debate. All three vaccines are safe and effective. You are as bad as a flat-earther or Trumper at this point.

[quote]Medical shills furious that some can see through their schemes.

Do you realize how tinhat stupid you sound?

by Anonymousreply 214March 1, 2021 6:46 PM

[quote]A single shot of either the Oxford-AstraZeneca or the Pfizer-BioNTech Covid jab reduces the chance of needing hospital treatment by more than 80%, an analysis in England shows.

[quote]Professor Jonathan Van-Tam, England's deputy chief medical officer, said the decision to give the AstraZeneca vaccine to older people was "clearly vindicated" - some European nations have refused to give it to the over 65s because data from the trials was mainly on its effect among younger adults.

[quote]He said the judgement made by the UK authorities was that it was simply "not plausible" it would only work on younger adults. He said other countries would doubtless be "very interested" in the data coming out of the UK.

[quote]And he added: "It shows us how - if we are patient... the vaccine programme is going to take us into a very different world in the next few months."

La!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215March 1, 2021 6:49 PM

[quote]JNJ is a nice vaccine

It's not good, it's not bad, it's just nice.

by Anonymousreply 216March 1, 2021 6:52 PM

If I powder my pussy with talcum before I get the J&J vaccine, will I get cervical cancer?

by Anonymousreply 217March 1, 2021 7:03 PM

Not a reason to avoid the J&J jab, but instructive: better to die, I guess, than to take a "morally compromised" vaccine shot.

Those wacky Catholics. What's next?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218March 2, 2021 12:42 AM

r208 Isn't the reason for that the fact that younger people have stronger immune systems, so adverse reactions are related to their bodies trying to fight off the "invader" vaccine?

by Anonymousreply 219March 2, 2021 2:02 AM

Yes r219.

The "young people had worse reactions" from r208's article is exactly what Pfizer and Moderna reported in their clinical trials.

The strong reaction after your second dose is your immune system attacking the corona spike protein, younger people tend to have stronger immune system so it is a stronger effect.

by Anonymousreply 220March 2, 2021 2:24 AM

I haven't seen any, but according to CNBC this morning, the Czech Republic, Austria, Hungary and Slovakia have all expressed interest in procuring and deploying Russia’s “Sputnik V” vaccine – a move that could undermine an EU-wide approach to approving and administering coronavirus vaccines."

by Anonymousreply 221March 2, 2021 1:49 PM

So by fall, we can return to travel, crowds, and cubicle farms?

by Anonymousreply 222March 2, 2021 1:57 PM

Possibly as early as the summer.

by Anonymousreply 223March 2, 2021 2:11 PM

Oh yeah, I predict as soon as people get the two jabs summer will be ON.

by Anonymousreply 224March 2, 2021 2:19 PM

The problem is people are going to want to party as soon as they get the first dose. It takes two weeks after the first dose to have any real effect, and ideally you would wait til a week after the second.

But with Moderna for instance that first and second are a month apart.

by Anonymousreply 225March 2, 2021 2:22 PM

I should add even JNJ considers you "fully vaccinated" 28 days after the dose. It takes a couple weeks for your immune system to build up after dosing.

by Anonymousreply 226March 2, 2021 2:29 PM

It also depends where you are, R224. In Florida, the pandemic has already been deemed over (it's not, obviously), while in California, until the tier system is revoked it might never be, given how unrealistically strict some of the measurements are.

by Anonymousreply 227March 2, 2021 2:29 PM

[quote]In Florida, the pandemic has already been deemed over (it's not, obviously)

Miami here. Got my first shot yesterday. I walk early every morning. Maybe, MAYBE 10% of people out at that hour wear masks.

These are other walkers, joggers, bikers and folks who seem to do basic-training team exercises. You would think they would be health-conscious.

You would be wrong.

by Anonymousreply 228March 2, 2021 2:37 PM

You need to wear a mask outdoors if you are going to be around people. If you are out jogging and it's somewhere you can keep your distance from other people it's okay.

by Anonymousreply 229March 2, 2021 2:39 PM

[quote]I haven't seen any, but according to CNBC this morning, the Czech Republic, Austria, Hungary and Slovakia have all expressed interest in procuring and deploying Russia’s “Sputnik V” vaccine – a move that could undermine an EU-wide approach to approving and administering coronavirus vaccines."

Austria, along with Denmark who are doing a good job of vaccinating its population despite the EU, are working with Israel to make longterm plans outside of the EU.

Slovakia and Hungary have already had their first delivery of the Russian vaccine - it's not surprising that Hungary's Orban and Putin are working more closely

Czech Republic are considering ordering the Russian vaccine even though the EU agencies haven't approved it yet.

The EU really has a lot of strengths, but the vaccine procurement has shown them at their worst.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230March 2, 2021 2:44 PM

[quote] and ideally you would wait til a week after the second.

I thought it was two weeks after the second. Eh, either way that’s what I’ll be waiting anyway.

by Anonymousreply 231March 2, 2021 4:03 PM

Amid a dearth of public data on China’s vaccines, hesitations over their efficacy and safety are still pervasive in the countries depending on them, along with concerns about what China might want in return for deliveries. Nonetheless, inoculations with Chinese vaccines already have begun in more than 25 countries, and the Chinese shots have been delivered to another 11.

With just four of China’s many vaccine makers claiming they are able to produce at least 2.6 billion doses this year, a large part of the world’s population will end up inoculated not with the fancy Western vaccines boasting headline-grabbing efficacy rates, but with China’s humble, traditionally made shots.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232March 2, 2021 4:12 PM

Why do the Russians name everything 'sputnik'?

The problem we're going to run into is that even after America and a lot of the "first world" are vaccinated, the rest of the world will remain an incubator for new strains. And, as we know, America will never, ever stop international travel.

by Anonymousreply 233March 2, 2021 6:43 PM

r228 people are basically selfish.

I'm waiting for the J&J vac. I think it is going to be more effective for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 234March 3, 2021 12:06 PM

Mike Duggan is a nutter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235March 5, 2021 10:12 PM

[quote]One dose of Pfizer or Moderna would probably have an efficacy rate around 80%

Recent studies have shown that Moderna (I read specifically about Moderna, I've seen varying reports about Pfizer), after 2 weeks of the first vaccination, had an efficacy of 91%.

Some have questioned why with those numbers we are choosing to vaccinate 50 people at 94% efficacy vs 100 people at 91%.

We also don't know how long any of these vaccines last. The estimate is between 5 - 12 months.

by Anonymousreply 236March 5, 2021 10:18 PM

That mayor is an idiot.

They all have the same rate for hospitalization and serious illness.

by Anonymousreply 237March 5, 2021 10:23 PM

I'm not interested in the J&J vaccine, but I agree that Mike Duggan is a fucking moron. It's not his place to make that decision for others. Anyone who wants it should be able to have access to it.

by Anonymousreply 238March 5, 2021 11:49 PM

For some reason Rhode Island's vaccinations have plummeted in the last week. Maybe they'll pick up again now, but things are looking really grim here, especially compared with CT and MA.

by Anonymousreply 239March 5, 2021 11:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!