Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bonnie Tyler--how popular was she?

Total Eclipse of the Heart was one of the biggest songs of the 80s and it continues to do incredibly well on youtube and spotify. To me, Tyler sounds like a good version of Kim Carnes. Everyone knows about Total Eclipse but how big was Tyler in the late 70s and 80s? Listening to Spotify makes me surprsied that she doesn't have more well-known songs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56September 21, 2021 6:25 AM

Only 3 top 40 hits in the US, but many, many more hits in other parts of the world. I really like her, and she’s still great fun to see in interviews.

by Anonymousreply 1February 27, 2021 8:05 PM

R1, that's probably why Total Eclipse of the Heart is still loved today, it's huge all over. I think Holding out for a Hero is also pretty big.

by Anonymousreply 2February 27, 2021 8:08 PM

I can't think of this song without the literal video version

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 27, 2021 8:08 PM

It's a Heartache, Total Eclipse, and Holding Out for a Hero are the three songs people know her best for. Total Eclipse being the most popular.

She released an album in the late '80s called Notes from America. She split from working with Jim Steinman and was working with Desmond Child, Michael Bolton, etc. and she recorded The Best which became a big hit for Tina Turner a year later, and she recorded Don't Turn Around which became a hit a few years later for Ace of Base. She also recorded Save Up Your Tears which became a minor hit for Cher a few years later.

by Anonymousreply 4February 27, 2021 8:08 PM

R3, that's fucking hilarious. Even that video has 5 million views!

by Anonymousreply 5February 27, 2021 8:16 PM

[quote] she recorded Don't Turn Around which became a hit a few years later for Ace of Base

I wonder how she feels about Alejandro?

by Anonymousreply 6February 27, 2021 8:23 PM

Omg she was soo popular! Lots of hits and her videos were all over MTV. Multiple Grammy awards too!

by Anonymousreply 7February 27, 2021 8:29 PM

Canada loves her.

by Anonymousreply 8February 27, 2021 8:37 PM

Bonnie never quite followed up on the promise of "Total Eclipse..." It was a huge hit but her follow-up singles weren't nearly as big. Even though people think that "Holding Out for a Hero" was a big hit, it only reached #34 on Billboard. Similarly, Kim Carnes wasn't able to continue the momentum of "Bette Davis Eyes." Everyone thought she was the next big thing. She was not.

by Anonymousreply 9February 27, 2021 9:12 PM

[quote]she recorded Don't Turn Around which became a hit a few years later for Ace of Base

Aswad released their UK #1 version before Bonnie.

Bonnie's 1988 album Hide Your Heart had 3 top 10 hits on it - Aswad's Don't Turn Around, Tina Turner's The Best and Jimmy Somerville's To Love Somebody. Save Up All Your Tears was released by Robin Beck in 1989 as a follow up to her UK #1 First Time, but it flopped making Robin an official ONE HIT WONDER. I wonder how much money Diane Warren has made from Bonnie recording her songs?

As for Bonnie, my mum used to work for a charity and they were doing a big fundraiser. They had a call from Bonnie asking if she could visit them to learn about what they did. She came along by herself, asked a load of questions and wrote them a cheque. She was very nice and unassuming.

by Anonymousreply 10February 27, 2021 9:30 PM

I was obsessed with that Total Eclipse video as a 7 year old little gay boy in 1984 or so! They played it ALL THE TIME on MTV.

During my first year of college I actually purchased her Faster Than The Speed Of Night cd and wore that thing out for a year or so- It wasn't a bad album.

Of course, I played it for no one but myself as this was 1995 and Nirvana and Hootie and The Blowfish were considered COOL. And I think it was the year that Gwen Stefani's band became huge. Whatever the fuck their name was.

by Anonymousreply 11February 27, 2021 9:37 PM

Pop quiz: Bonnie was one of only 4 British women to have a solo number 1 album in the UK in the 1980s. Can you name the other 3?

by Anonymousreply 12February 27, 2021 9:48 PM

"It's a Heartache" reached #3 in the US Billboard Charts around 1977-78, and then Tyler disappeared. Then she came back strong in '83 with "Total Eclipse of the Heart," which I always thought was typical Jim Steiman overblown, overwrought power balladry. I don't think that she and the video's director Russell Mulcahy got along. She didn't grasp his creative vision, called him a "prevert," and stormed off the set. But after the video got heavy MTV rotation and helped catapult it to the top of the charts, Tyler rang Mulcahy up to direct her next video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13February 27, 2021 11:12 PM

Bitch stole Meatloaf's act.

by Anonymousreply 14February 27, 2021 11:13 PM

My favorite of her songs. But "Faster Than the Speed of Light" was huge album, every song strong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 27, 2021 11:32 PM

Less frantic video and Bonnie is there in this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16February 27, 2021 11:35 PM

[quote]Pop quiz: Bonnie was one of only 4 British women to have a solo number 1 album in the UK in the 1980s. Can you name the other 3?

Kate Bush? Alison Moyet? Who else?

by Anonymousreply 17February 28, 2021 12:35 AM

R17, Sade

by Anonymousreply 18February 28, 2021 12:47 AM

Jim Steinmen had a knack for taking has-beens and giving them one last big hit. He did it for Tyler (Total Eclipse), Air Supply (Making Love Out Of Nothing At All), Barry Manilow (Rad Em and Weep), etc. He really did go for that big bombastic sound, didn't he?

by Anonymousreply 19February 28, 2021 12:51 AM

R18, isn’t Sade technically the name of the band (as well as the lead singer) so not a solo artist?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20February 28, 2021 12:55 AM

I loved the everything-but-the-kitchen-sink sound of the late Jim Steinman. He and Bonnie were perfect together.

Secret Dreams and Forbidden Fire is one of my favourite '80s albums. So over the top, so camp, so fun.

Ravishing and Rebel Without a Clue are so epic.

by Anonymousreply 21April 28, 2021 4:23 AM

In the 80s, Bonnie's popularity totally eclipsed us.

by Anonymousreply 22April 28, 2021 4:25 AM

Her Love Songs album was great, too. Whiter Shade of Pale.. You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman (is that a new trans anthem?)...

by Anonymousreply 23April 28, 2021 4:40 AM

I remember one of her mid-80s non hits was called If You Were a Woman & I Was A Man…a reviewer called her the queen of “cock rock,” whatever that means.

by Anonymousreply 24April 28, 2021 7:23 AM

Holing out for a Hero official video. The perfect song for an aerobics class when you had to run around the room in a circle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 28, 2021 7:44 AM

Holding!

by Anonymousreply 26April 28, 2021 7:44 AM

She’s a national treasure now. Along with the likes of Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Joan Collins, Joanna Lumley, Shirley Bassey. Etc.

by Anonymousreply 27April 28, 2021 8:02 AM

Why doesn't she clear her throat before she sings? It's disgusting phlegm all I hear.

by Anonymousreply 28April 28, 2021 8:28 AM

Love this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29April 28, 2021 8:32 AM

Someone turned HOFAH into a vagina ballad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 29, 2021 12:04 AM

She was referred to as a female Rod Stewart on AM radio in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 31April 29, 2021 12:09 AM

That song is godawful!

by Anonymousreply 32April 29, 2021 12:13 AM

She damaged her vocal cords after surgery to remove nodules, that's why her voice sounds that way, R28

by Anonymousreply 33April 29, 2021 12:18 AM

I loved that chart miss, "If You Were a Woman (And I Was a Man)". It not only SHOULD have been a hit but became one a year later when the songwriter, Desmond Child, brought it to Bon Jovi and they switched it to, "You Give Love a Bad Name." Tyler's version is much better and much more interesting. Tyler was a case of just finding success at too old an age to really connect with American youth. Which was a shame because she was good at picking material that the rest of the world seemed to respond to.

by Anonymousreply 34April 29, 2021 2:33 AM

I loved it too, R34. I still have my copy of Secret Dreams and Forbidden Fire on cassette that I bought when I was 16 when it first came out. I loved Rebel Without a Clue from that album. She also did a really great cover of Making Love Out of Nothing at All in the mid 90s.

by Anonymousreply 35April 29, 2021 2:37 AM

Thanks for posting that R3 - that was excellent!

by Anonymousreply 36April 29, 2021 2:42 AM

She’s like a two-time one-hit wonder. FWIW, I much prefer It’s a Heartache over Total Eclipse.

by Anonymousreply 37April 29, 2021 2:48 AM

She really grows on you -She chooses interesting songs and she just goes for it.

by Anonymousreply 38April 29, 2021 2:50 AM

Notes From America (Hide Your Heart in the rest of the world) was a great album too. It contained, as mentioned above, several songs that became hits for others, a great cover of the pre-disco BeeGee's song To Love Somebody, a fun cover of Big Brother and the Holding Company's Turtle Blues - dedicated to Janis Joplin, and The Streets of Little Italy always fills me with nostalgia.

by Anonymousreply 39April 29, 2021 2:56 AM

She had some great songs that other artists made famous. As the above poster said she was just too old to connect with the youth market, so she didn't get the huge PR/Marketing push from her label.

by Anonymousreply 40April 29, 2021 3:02 AM

Making Love Out Of Nothing At All

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 29, 2021 3:03 AM

Bonnie has been married to a real estate/property developer for nearly 50 years. The guy is LOADED so she doesn't have any $$$ concerns.

by Anonymousreply 42April 29, 2021 3:05 AM

Bonnie was like Laura Branigan in a way; distinctive singers but no marketable “image” and their flop singles went on to be bigger hits by lesser artists. I like Bonnie, she seems like a good egg and a good time.

by Anonymousreply 43April 29, 2021 3:11 AM

Between her and Kim Carnes - their voices sounded like they had lung cancer.

NOT a fan of either of them. it was kind of a chore to listen to their songs...like physically exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 44April 29, 2021 5:55 AM

r44 is EXHAUSTED.

by Anonymousreply 45April 29, 2021 6:02 AM

Bonnie Tyler's real name is Gaynor Hopkins.

by Anonymousreply 46April 29, 2021 6:04 AM

"Bonnie Tyler's real name is Gaynor Hopkins."

Is she related to Thelma?

by Anonymousreply 47April 29, 2021 9:58 PM

R34, that’s PROOF of white male privilege! Bon Jovi turned Bonnie Tyler’s flop onto a hit!

by Anonymousreply 48April 29, 2021 11:50 PM

Here's Jim Steinman and Bonnie interviewed about Total Eclipse of the Heart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49May 4, 2021 4:27 AM

shocking she was ever popular with such a hideous voice that really hurts the ears

R44 is spot on except I wouldn't put myself through listening to them if I could help

by Anonymousreply 50May 4, 2021 5:17 AM

Bonnie Tyler is awesome.

I will not accept any criticisms about this great dame.

by Anonymousreply 51May 4, 2021 5:20 AM

low standards lol

by Anonymousreply 52May 4, 2021 5:23 AM

OP Kim Carnes was a good copy of Bonnie Tyler.

by Anonymousreply 53May 4, 2021 5:28 AM

R53, no she was not. Bonnie Tyler had a better voice and more great songs than her (none of them being a novely hit is also a plus).

by Anonymousreply 54May 4, 2021 11:17 PM

Secret Dreams... also contains Loving You's a Dirty Job (but Somebody's Gotta Do It) which is a great duet with Todd Rundgren

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 5, 2021 12:08 AM

Was she just a one-hit wonder?

by Anonymousreply 56September 21, 2021 6:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!