Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Veteran Bronx educator claims she was fired after refusing ‘Wakanda’ salute

Wokeist at it again!

"Espinal was one year shy of earning a lifetime DOE pension when she was abruptly fired from her role as head of Community School District 12 in Bronx without explanation, after repeatedly refusing to do the “Wakanda Forever” salute, according to the lawsuit.

Desperate to keep her retirement benefits and health insurance, the single mom — who recently earned a doctorate — eventually accepted a humiliating demotion to school investigator, a role which requires only a high school diploma and which left her with no permanent desk or phone.

Porter, who was later elevated by Carranza to the post of “executive superintendent,” a promotion she celebrated with a lavish gala, has a Twitter timeline packed with group shots of DOE staff doing the “Wakanda Forever” salute. One shot features Carranza — who couldn’t manage to perform the gesture correctly in the pose — and Espinal. The image showed Carranza, Porter, Espinal and others during the chancellor’s tour of the five boroughs, according to a source. But when repeatedly asked to salute “Wakanda” at other professional meetings, Espinal felt the gesture “introduced a racial divide where there should be none,” said her lawyers, Israel Goldberg, Helen Setton and Domenic Recchia.

Porter would often talk about the militant civil rights group the Black Panthers when asking superintendents to do the “Wakanda” salute, noting her father was a member, the attorneys said. But the symbolic gesture associated with the group is the iconic single raised fist, as made famous by American sprinters Tommie Smith and John Carlos at the 1968 Olympics, not the cross-armed greeting popularized by the record-breaking superhero flick, which grossed more than $1.34 billion at the box office.

Forcing colleagues to do the “Wakanda” salute “corrupted” it, Goldberg said.

“The gesture was hijacked,” he noted. The DOE insists the famous cross-arm gesture doesn’t refer to “Black power,” but is instead “a symbol used to represent the Bronx.”

Fellow DOE administrators also allegedly told Espinal she wasn’t “Black enough” and she should “just learn to be quiet and look pretty,” she claims in the $40 million suit

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53March 1, 2021 10:56 AM

Hope she wins and gets every cent.

by Anonymousreply 1February 26, 2021 9:48 PM

Wokeist= Marxist

by Anonymousreply 2February 26, 2021 9:50 PM

Today Carranza announced his retirement as head of the Department of Education. Maybe he got tired of being deBlasio's puppet.

by Anonymousreply 3February 26, 2021 9:55 PM

Wakadu

by Anonymousreply 4February 26, 2021 9:55 PM

Were the two gentlemen on the left also fired?

by Anonymousreply 5February 26, 2021 9:59 PM

I don’t care about multiple threads. But I’m the first to say you’re going to get Fuhrer’d for this one.

by Anonymousreply 6February 26, 2021 9:59 PM

Pazuzu!

by Anonymousreply 7February 26, 2021 10:00 PM

R6 Multiple thread?

IDGAF about the wokeist deguised as Dems on the DL. I fought them many times. They don't have any other argument that " You're a nazis, a Boris a Trump supporter", when i am FAR from all these accusations. They can't handle when you expose their crazy asses. The Woke cult is dangerous as hell, and people should stop protecting them.

by Anonymousreply 8February 26, 2021 10:04 PM

R8, I meant you’d get grief bc there’s another thread on this. You know, “you’re worse than Hitler”.

by Anonymousreply 9February 26, 2021 10:05 PM

Were the 3 gentleman who are positioned in the back left also fired, r8?

by Anonymousreply 10February 26, 2021 10:06 PM

R9 Oh... Sorry. I typed "Rafeala Espinal" and "Wakanda " into the search section but it didn't give me anything.

by Anonymousreply 11February 26, 2021 10:07 PM

And the woman in the black and purple? Was she fired as well?

by Anonymousreply 12February 26, 2021 10:07 PM

R10 I have no idea... But if anyone knows about it, please share the info

by Anonymousreply 13February 26, 2021 10:08 PM

United Federation of Teachers union has a Change. org page.

The undersigned are calling for the immediate resignation and removal of New York City Schools Chancellor Richard Carranza, and the creation of a non-partisan, multi-level task force to help assist Mayor deBlasio to achieve the level of competence critical to ensuring the health, safety, and future of the children and families we serve as NYC educators.

by Anonymousreply 14February 26, 2021 10:09 PM

R14 Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 15February 26, 2021 10:17 PM

Fired for not doing the Wakanda salute? Yeah, good luck trying to prove *that*.

I'm guessing she slacked off bigtime the closer she came to retirement.

by Anonymousreply 16February 26, 2021 10:22 PM

Actually, she was fired because she called it "the Coon Salute."

by Anonymousreply 17February 26, 2021 10:24 PM

R16 I guess she have witnesses. Don't worry, investigating is a professional job. It is also not the first time that this sect has fired teachers because they do not obey them. Do you realize that now people can get kicked out of the New York Times, WaPo, the universities where this sect is rampant, as soon as we don't follow their rules?

by Anonymousreply 18February 26, 2021 10:29 PM

America is falling extremely low. Now, If you don't want to do the "salute" that comes from a Marvel movie you're fired. What a shitty generation.

by Anonymousreply 19February 26, 2021 10:33 PM

Fired for not doing the salute? Yeah, sure.

by Anonymousreply 20February 26, 2021 10:33 PM

R20 Were you there or you're so bored you absolutely need to troll? R20

by Anonymousreply 21February 26, 2021 10:34 PM

What's so hard about transitive verbs?

by Anonymousreply 22February 26, 2021 10:38 PM

What's so hard about using your brain?

by Anonymousreply 23February 26, 2021 10:39 PM

What is the ‘Wakanda Salute'?

Is it pleading allegiance to some heathen deity?

by Anonymousreply 24February 27, 2021 12:13 AM

R22 Transitive verbs are rather similar to intransitive verbs.

by Anonymousreply 25February 27, 2021 12:14 AM

Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 26February 27, 2021 12:16 AM

What is the difference between a veteran Bronx educator and a veteran Bronx school teacher?

by Anonymousreply 27February 27, 2021 12:16 AM

Someone explain why, again, is it that the wealthy whites in NYC all send their children to private schools.

by Anonymousreply 28February 27, 2021 12:18 AM

God, this woke bullshit reminds of the “Yassss Kweeennnn” fan-clacking SJWs who are slowly proliferating in the gay community. They’re so self-righteous and entitled, acting like they’re above everything because they support Trans “rights” and a pride flag with a shit streak on it. Get a grip, Darlings. You’re all trash.

by Anonymousreply 29February 27, 2021 12:21 AM

Revolting. What a corrupt school system. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 30February 27, 2021 12:22 AM

A teacher has to do some serious shit before one even gets fired once he/she has tenure. There are teachers who barely teach who still have their jobs. There must be more to this story.

by Anonymousreply 31February 27, 2021 12:26 AM

[quote] A teacher has to do some serious shit …

That teacher should put it in a toilet.

by Anonymousreply 32February 27, 2021 12:29 AM

Not if the Teachers Unions sanction the firing, r31.

You have a lot yet to learn about life.

by Anonymousreply 33February 27, 2021 12:32 AM

"[R20] Were you there or you're so bored you absolutely need to troll?"

Why is anyone who happens to disagree with the "woke," politically correct viewpoints of some DL posters automatically a troll? Is it the knee-jerk reaction of one who has no argument or ability to think, but merely parrots what the prevailing SJW viewpoints are?

by Anonymousreply 34February 27, 2021 12:33 AM

Point of order: Isn't "Wakanda" a fictional place, originated in a comic book?

So she is being fired for refusing to mimic a comic book?

by Anonymousreply 35February 27, 2021 12:44 AM

I heard the woman who fired the Wakanda-refuser is now the new Carranza.

by Anonymousreply 36February 27, 2021 12:49 AM

[quote] "Wakanda" a fictional place, originated in a comic book

Pop-Kulcha equals Culture in some demographies of the USA.

by Anonymousreply 37February 27, 2021 1:12 AM

These so called "educators" are so into their far left liberal politics that they have become corrupted by their own power. Let's hope they actually learn something on the way down. Disgusting and gross people all around. Carranza seems like a micro penis tranny who licks DeBlasio's ass until its time to fall under the bus.

by Anonymousreply 38February 27, 2021 1:18 AM

She wasn't the only one fired for not doing it. Another woman, who is suing alleged it too. Named Karen Ames.

Go read that craziness and how she was chastised discussing her grandparents experience as Jews in Poland during the Holocaust because it wasn't a black or brown issue during some retreat type thing.

by Anonymousreply 39February 27, 2021 3:47 AM

Carranza was awful but the new appointee sounds like a hilarious nightmare. Hopefully the new mayor will clean house next year.

by Anonymousreply 40February 27, 2021 3:56 AM

This is retarded. Firing someone over a fucking superhero movie?

by Anonymousreply 41February 27, 2021 4:43 AM

So is OP, posting NY Post stories, the same alt-right creep who posted the “CA makes it illegal to segregate kids sections by gender” story.

I’ll bet he is! Let’s find out, shall we?

by Anonymousreply 42February 27, 2021 4:48 AM

R42 😂

My question: Do you agree with the firing?

by Anonymousreply 43February 27, 2021 4:53 AM

Two staff members were fired " for not doing the woke Wakanda salute" because they were reversed discriminated against.

Were the three gentlemen in the back row of that photograph also fired for not performing woke virtue signalling to appease the blacks?

by Anonymousreply 44February 27, 2021 7:31 AM

I hate this shit so much.

I'm liberal. I hate Trump more than I've hated any human being.

But this shit HAS GOT TO STOP.

by Anonymousreply 45February 27, 2021 7:46 AM

What has to stop?

There are multiple staff not posing in that pic.

Were they all fired for not posing?

by Anonymousreply 46February 27, 2021 8:01 AM

I knew someone who refused to do the Wakanda salute.

And then she died.

by Anonymousreply 47February 27, 2021 10:51 AM

Today's Times says Carranza was fired because of differences with the mayor on desegregation. Being replaced by a school superintendent in the Bronx, a black woman.

by Anonymousreply 48February 27, 2021 11:53 AM

Carranza says he resigned.

by Anonymousreply 49February 27, 2021 2:45 PM

There has to be more to this story.

by Anonymousreply 50February 27, 2021 3:00 PM

The DOE is a truly bizarre place to work these days. It’s gotten very cultish and if you piss off the wrong people, you’ll be demoted. The three men in the picture probably didn’t work for the current Superintendent and so she couldn’t fire them.

by Anonymousreply 51February 27, 2021 4:23 PM

Can we ban this salute...and the fucking Charlie’s Angels pose while we’re at it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52February 27, 2021 4:33 PM

New Yorkers thought DOE Chancellor Carmen Farina was bad. Under deBlasio's direction she prevented the state from mandating requirements at Yeshivas, because the Orthodox funded his campaigns. When Carranza arrived it got worse.

by Anonymousreply 53March 1, 2021 10:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!