Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Palm Springs

The city has 44,000, one-third is gay. Why have we, especially elders, moved there?

by Anonymousreply 53May 30, 2021 2:59 PM

Because so many soul mates take the bus there from LA, looking for gorgeous men like myself to commune with!

by Anonymousreply 1February 26, 2021 4:30 PM

It's the last stop on the gay train! A museum of how gays used to live. Congregate living.

by Anonymousreply 2February 26, 2021 4:44 PM

Too hot.

by Anonymousreply 3February 26, 2021 4:55 PM

If there was a Gay Mecca, would Palm Springs be it??

by Anonymousreply 4February 26, 2021 4:57 PM

As someone who for years contemplated buying a second home in PS, I have to admit I missed the boat but not doing it 2-3 years ago. Property values in the last 12 months have soared and availability is extremely limited compared to this time last year.

For people who know the area, what other areas outside PS are worth considering?

by Anonymousreply 5February 26, 2021 7:21 PM

It makes a lot more sense as an LA vacation destination with a formerly glamorous aura than the cinderblock ghetto of Wilton Manors.. Palm Springs always made sense to me. Like Ptown or even Rehoboth. But Wilton Manors is the most random and unappealing choice of location for mass eldergay retirement that could have ever been imagined.

by Anonymousreply 6February 26, 2021 7:53 PM

yum-ooooooooooo!

by Anonymousreply 7February 26, 2021 8:17 PM

Dah-ling! The pool parties are EVERYTHING! Naked broiled eldergays basking in the sun!!!

by Anonymousreply 8February 26, 2021 8:43 PM

I heard Suzanne Somers is always tanning her leathery old puss at the men's clothing optional resorts there.

by Anonymousreply 9February 27, 2021 9:44 PM

I've always loved this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 18, 2021 4:58 PM

and this one. Here's a younger version with glam gal pal in their mid-century modern.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 18, 2021 5:00 PM

I WAS cheap.

by Anonymousreply 12April 18, 2021 5:07 PM

It's too fucking hot.

by Anonymousreply 13April 18, 2021 5:10 PM

Most of the gays who congregate in Palm Springs are old, fat, pozzed up, and used up. If you’re under 40, you’re still a Twink.

by Anonymousreply 14April 18, 2021 5:11 PM

News report with Palm Springs Eldergays complaining about microwave hearing tech - aka Voice to Skull

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 18, 2021 5:17 PM

Oh, honey @ r14 if you’re under 55 you’re still a twink in PS!

by Anonymousreply 16April 18, 2021 5:19 PM

maybe that's what happened to my ex? /s

by Anonymousreply 17April 18, 2021 5:25 PM

[quote]If there was a Gay Mecca, would Palm Springs be it??

Well, it's as hot as Mecca.

by Anonymousreply 18April 18, 2021 6:47 PM

Wilton Manners vs Palm Springs

Moist humid heat vs Dry windy heat

East Coast vs West Coast.

Horrible tattoos vs Horrible tattoos.

by Anonymousreply 19April 18, 2021 7:10 PM

What is the point of living somewhere that is so fucking hot your are confined indoors most of the day, because you rely on air conditioning in order to be able to draw your next breath (in a state known for it's rolling blackouts). Or am I missing something? I admit I have never been there, but every thread on PS mentions the terrible heat, and how it is only getting worse. Do people only crawl out of their bunkers at night?

by Anonymousreply 20April 18, 2021 7:19 PM

Well to be fair it’s only like that during the summertime.

by Anonymousreply 21April 18, 2021 7:26 PM

It's the first stop on the bus from the Betty Ford Clinic.

by Anonymousreply 22April 18, 2021 7:35 PM

[quote]Wilton Manners vs Palm Springs

Lower Purity Meth vs. High Purity Meth

by Anonymousreply 23April 18, 2021 7:36 PM

[quote]Wilton Manners

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 24April 18, 2021 7:41 PM

I live in the LA area and have been to PS many, many times. I've thought about buying a second place there--but then it's already hot in the summer where I live (and the winters are temperate)-- what I need is a place to get away from the heat. So as much as I like PS and would like to spend more time, there, I think I will probably just rent for a month or two in the winter if I feel like getting away.

by Anonymousreply 25April 18, 2021 7:43 PM

The elder gays who live in PS that I have met, travel extensively during the summer months to more temperate places. Visit friends and family at the beach. So they don't have to deal with the most brutal months of the year. Just like people have been doing forever in the super cold climates and snowbirding to warmer places. With planning and money, it's possible. And if you are still working but have gone to remote work, even working stiffs can do it. Hence the higher real estate prices now. People are leaving LA and SF in droves. Quite amazing actually.

by Anonymousreply 26April 18, 2021 7:44 PM

I moved here in 2017 from Phoenix. It takes some getting used to. Going to Ralphs and seeing gay couples everywhere, walking downtown, and watching gay couples kiss and hold hands was a great change from the troglodytes of Phoenix.

It really never rains much here, less than Phoenix, and there is no summer monsoon. That is missed. The heat is bearable. The rewards are an almost endless supply of sunshine and seeing snow every day on mountains that are spectacular. The hikes are excellent in every direction. Then the coast cities are very close and a day trip to the beach is always possible. It's a perfect California world.

The coast people are here all the time to escape the marine layer or general cloudiness on the coast. LA is surprisingly gloomy and cold in the winter and the marine layer is annoying, so they hang out here to get warm I guess. Overall the coast people are ok but can be at times obnoxious and bores. They are also very into showing their wealth. Much more so than any Phoenician.

Gay-wise I am surprised that there are so many gay couples that just fuck around with anyone in grabbing distance. I got off Grindr after three months, as I received the most insane requests for sex with specific instructions bordering on breaking and entering.

I have met some, but not many truly fucking toxic gays. Their demeanor and manners are just short of a mincing gay cave groupie.

Down the road, the Republicans of those cities make their cities much more like an Arizona experience with wealth and attitudes.

The healthcare system here is horrifying. The hospitals are old and filthy. The Phoenix hospitals and doctor's offices all look like they were all built in the last year, and seem light years ahead of what goes on here.

I don't know if I am staying, if I find a good deal on the coast for a place to live I would probably leave, but the more I stay here, the more that feeling goes away.

by Anonymousreply 27April 18, 2021 8:01 PM

I've been to Palm Springs in the dead heat of summer. I don't know how anyone can live there during the summer months.

by Anonymousreply 28April 18, 2021 8:04 PM

i would HAPPILY spend a summer in Palm Springs vs. Kansas City. Luckily i dont need to do either at this point. When i was in PS in July anything under 110 was just fine with me

by Anonymousreply 29April 18, 2021 8:06 PM

A certain Je ne sais quoi

Artist DJ Hall captured it...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 18, 2021 8:12 PM

The DLer second from left be like "I still got it! Heeeyyyy!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 18, 2021 8:18 PM

And how is the sexual climate in Palm Springs??

by Anonymousreply 32April 18, 2021 8:25 PM

Do NOT wear corduroy in PS! You will spontaneously burst into flames (literally and figuratively)!

by Anonymousreply 33April 18, 2021 8:26 PM

Very convenient to buy meth from the surrounding ghetto.

by Anonymousreply 34April 18, 2021 8:28 PM

It's a nice place to be in general, except for the roasting summer months, of course.

But it's become apparent that one of the things people love about it - that it is a vacation town - is also one of its weaknesses.

It is next to impossible to do certain things here - hire any kind of contractor or landscape help, find a doctor - because it is still a sleepy resort area and demand far outweights supply.

by Anonymousreply 35April 18, 2021 8:28 PM

When I visited around 7 years ago, I felt like I was in an AIDS hospice.

by Anonymousreply 36April 18, 2021 8:29 PM

There must have been DUST on those mints

by Anonymousreply 37April 20, 2021 3:46 AM

I thought it was a blast!

by Anonymousreply 38April 20, 2021 3:50 AM

Get up at dawn so you can get a pool chair and relax.

by Anonymousreply 39April 20, 2021 3:51 AM

The shops are filled with caftans AND earrings. An earthly paradise.

by Anonymousreply 40April 20, 2021 3:51 AM

R20, I don't either; I've had to go there twice for work.

I nearly went out of my mind; too hot; then too cold at night; nothing to do.

Give me my rent controlled apartment back in LA any day of the week.

by Anonymousreply 41April 20, 2021 4:27 AM

Almost every place in the country has two to three months where the climate is inhospitable. Most of the country it's cold. In the south it's beastly humid. In PS it's hot.

I can deal with 2 to 3 months of extreme heat (which is usually when we take trips away anyway) to have 9 months where it never gets any colder than 45 degrees (at night) and is anywhere between 50 and 80 during the day.

by Anonymousreply 42April 20, 2021 5:44 PM

[quote]Almost every place in the country has two to three months where the climate is inhospitable. Most of the country it's cold. In the south it's beastly humid. In PS it's hot.

Those of us in coastal California are quite spoiled in that regard.

by Anonymousreply 43April 20, 2021 6:28 PM

True, R43, but the flip side of that is that everyone and their mother wants to live there, and a closet is 1.5M.

by Anonymousreply 44April 20, 2021 7:27 PM

r44 Not really true-- you just have to lower your standards as to the type of area you're willing to live in. My 3BR 2.5 BA townhouse in eastern LA County is only about $550K.

by Anonymousreply 45April 20, 2021 7:33 PM

Summer in Ptown and winter in Palm Springs. But summers in Ptown can be too hot too.

by Anonymousreply 46April 20, 2021 7:53 PM

I'm a native New Englander and I love winter.

by Anonymousreply 47April 20, 2021 9:15 PM

[quote]Palm Springs [had] a 2020 population of 48,844, it is the 185th largest city in California and the 809th largest city in the United States. Palm Springs is currently growing at a rate of 0.33% annually and its population has increased by 9.63% since the most recent census, which recorded a population of 44,552 in 2010. Palm Springs reached it's highest population of 48,844 in 2021

No idea the population was so low. Though Wiki notes "because Palm Springs is a retirement location, as well as a winter snowbird destination, the city's population triples between November and March." And that the Coachella Valley population ranges from 200,000 to 800,000 at different times if the year.

by Anonymousreply 48April 20, 2021 9:24 PM

You all do know that this city only became popular because of the 100 mile clause, right?

by Anonymousreply 49April 20, 2021 9:33 PM

Indio, Cathedral City, and Palm Desert all have larger populations than Palm Springs. Indio has almost 100,000 people.

by Anonymousreply 50April 20, 2021 10:10 PM

There just cannot be enough threads about Palm Springs running simultaneously!

by Anonymousreply 51April 20, 2021 10:12 PM

R50 Indio is also absolute trash, as is Desert Hot Springs.

by Anonymousreply 52April 20, 2021 10:25 PM

I am living here now and it is a lot LESS gay than I would have thought. Funny enough, we're living in a straight couple's second home. Perhaps its because it's now the low season and previously it was covid, but the town is filled with a lot of younger straight people, lots of girls weekends and bachelorette parties, those trashy beer trolleys go through downtown. I saw this happen to Nashville too.

Gay gentrify and then the straights come and ruin everything while simultaneously raising housing prices.

by Anonymousreply 53May 30, 2021 2:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!