Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What say you, Datalounge? Whose side are you on?

Marc Sadeghi had just returned from a work trip to New Zealand when he was asked to meet with someone from Human Resources.

Sadeghi was settling into his job as global head of visual effects for Amazon Studios, based at the streamer’s Culver City office. He had quickly discovered that he had less staff support than he expected, and he was deeply frustrated by Amazon’s “coach only” policy for company travel.

Amazon is famously frugal, and generally requires employees to fly coach or pay for their own seat upgrades. This stands in marked contrast to the free-spending norm for senior executives in Hollywood, and for Sadeghi it was especially vexing. He had back problems — scoliosis and sciatica — and needed more room to stretch out. He had brought it up several times, to no avail.

Now he was being asked to meet with an HR person from Seattle to go over some “allegations.” He was also asked to turn over his laptop and his badge.

On Dec. 3, 2019, he sat down with Ivre Kladnick, who quickly launched into a series of questions, according to a lawsuit Sadeghi filed on Wednesday in Los Angeles Superior Court.

“Have you ever asked your assistant to run personal errands?” “Have you ever sent your assistant a picture of a cartoon penis?” “Have you ever instructed your assistant to break policy?”

Thinking fast, Sadeghi deduced that his assistant had turned on him. He already had reason to doubt the assistant’s loyalty. The day before Thanksgiving break, he had caught his assistant secretly recording him, according to the suit. He didn’t know how long this had been going on, but suspected there could be many recordings.

He felt ambushed, and tried to answer the charges as best he could. Much of it had to do with allegations that he had misused company funds. In particular, Sadeghi had instructed the assistant to have the company pay for an upgrade to “premium economy” for the 14-hour flight to New Zealand.

Sadeghi had informed his supervisors that he could suffer severe pain if forced to sit in coach, especially on flights longer than five hours. Ken Lipman, the studio’s head of drama production, was not unsympathetic. He suggested that Sadeghi should try to get a medical clearance from Amazon. But Sadeghi knew that could take months, and he was needed in New Zealand right away.

Tim Clawson, Sadeghi’s manager, was less helpful, according to the suit. When Sadeghi told him that a 14-hour flight could leave him in such pain that it would take two months to recover, Clawson said that was a “bummer.”

Through the grapevine, Sadeghi heard he could get a free upgrade on Air New Zealand. He asked the assistant to get him on the list. But days prior to the flight, he discovered that the assistant had failed to do so. According to the suit, the assistant told him that Clawson had previously used the company credit card to pay for an upgrade at the gate, and handled it internally afterwards. So he told his assistant to do likewise, figuring he would sort it out upon his return.

There were other allegations as well, including that Sadeghi had used off-color language. In his defense, Sadeghi argued that Amazon fostered an environment where such language was tolerated. In fact, according to his suit, he heard a management-level executive refer to someone a “squirrelly c–t.” Another executive also made liberal use of the c-word, he alleges.

Sadeghi flatly denied the charges of misuse of company funds, saying he could provide documentation for client dinners and the like. But according to Sadeghi, Kladnick was not interested. He alleges that she conducted a “results oriented” investigation, was biased against him, and did not give him a fair opportunity to defend himself.

He asked to see the charges in writing, but what he was given was little more than “chicken scratch,” according to the suit. He also alleges that Kladnick did not review text messages or talk to his witnesses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63March 1, 2021 11:51 PM

Sadeghi also charged that it was illegal for his assistant to record him, and he asked Kladnick to obtain the recordings. But nothing came of that, he alleges, and the assistant was never disciplined.

Instead, Sadeghi was informed on Dec. 10, 2019, that a full investigation had uncovered a pattern of “multiple policy infractions.” He was terminated immediately.

Sadeghi is now suing the company for disability discrimination, failing to provide a reasonable accommodation, and wrongful termination.

Amazon Studios did not respond to a request for comment.

by Anonymousreply 1February 26, 2021 11:12 AM

Very long story

by Anonymousreply 2February 26, 2021 11:18 AM

Lol R2.

I guess that's how tl;dr got started.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 26, 2021 11:20 AM

I doubt he has the "medical conditions" that he's claiming to have.

He looks young and fit.

He also looks like the type of entitled douchebag to make his company pay for his flight upgrades.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4February 26, 2021 11:22 AM

He looks perfectly fine and healthy here. (First on the left)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 26, 2021 11:23 AM

And here too. (on the right)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6February 26, 2021 11:24 AM

[quote] Sadeghi was settling into his job as global head of visual effects for Amazon Studios, based at the streamer’s Culver City office. He had quickly discovered that he had less staff support than he expected, and he was deeply frustrated by Amazon’s “coach only” policy for company travel.

Typical 1%er.

GLOBAL HEAD OF VISUAL EFFECTS.

Probably pulling in a six-figure salary per year. Maybe seven-figures, including perks and bonuses.

And he can't pay for his own upgrade???

The policy is sound.

If you're an Executive, then you can afford your own upgrades.

If you're a lower level employee, you probably wouldn't mind coach because you're just happy to take a trip on the company's dime.

This guy is clearly an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 7February 26, 2021 11:29 AM

Anyone who is well-educated (and could get a job elsewhere) who works for Amazon is a fool.

by Anonymousreply 8February 26, 2021 11:29 AM

I loathe Amazon. I’m not surprised people like that work there.

by Anonymousreply 9February 26, 2021 11:30 AM

Scoliosis is a condition we are screened for as children in public schools. Being young does not make a person immune to it. It's an abnormal curvature of the spine that can be disabling. I know someone who has it. I've known her for 10 years, since she was 27. She looks perfectly fine but she is often in agony from back pain.

If the guy has scoliosis, then he will have records of medical diagnosis. The photos posted here to show "he looks young and fit" and "perfectly fine" are really ignorant.

I have a severe allergic disorder that has caused potentially life-threatening anaphylaxis in response to some strange things and a connective tissue disease that seems to have resulted from the constant inflammation, and I don't have a hump on my back or roll around in a wheelchair. I do have medical records and doctors who can attest to my illness.

I can't believe people are still thinking in terms of, "you look fine to me, so you must be fine."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 26, 2021 11:34 AM

I used to travel extensively on business and I was told that any personal use of the company credit card was considered an advance on my salary and, as such, was forbidden. I found it easier to use my personal card for everything and get reimbursed, which the company hated because it meant I got the miles and points.

If he was not allowed to use the company card for things like upgrades, and he did, he's an idiot for doing so.

Having said that, expecting employees to fly in coach on a 14-hour flight is unreasonable, especially if the employee has medical issues.

It's not like he flew fist class, or even business class. Premium Economy would seem like a reasonable request. And it's as if Amazon doesn't have the money.

I'm sure he was expected to hit the ground running, and as someone who's flown in just about every seat on the plane, getting a good night's sleep in first/business is hard enough, in a standard coach seat, it's impossible,

I am so glad I retired last year. I was so sick of the corporate bullshit like this.

by Anonymousreply 11February 26, 2021 11:34 AM

Without commenting on this specific case, in my time I've seen plenty of stitched-up takedowns of middle-level male employees, engineered by petty jealous junior females, aided by HR hags. That the male employees were, in a few instances, assholes, is irrelevant. Is this one of the same? I don't know. But to me, it has a whiff of it. The corporate world is now a mentally stressing place stuffed with tripwires for men.

by Anonymousreply 12February 26, 2021 11:35 AM

[quote] And it's as if Amazon doesn't have the money

s/b "And it's NOT as if Amazon doesn't have the money"

by Anonymousreply 13February 26, 2021 11:36 AM

Datalounge loves to defend companies.

It's insane to say "well he looks just fine in these photos, so clearly he's lying about his sciatica." That's just ignorance.

The big mistake this guy made was not terminating the discussion with HR the second they said the word "penis" and getting an attorney. If he has documentation that he asked the assistant to get him the free upgrade and the assistant refused, then he's completely in the right.

by Anonymousreply 14February 26, 2021 11:36 AM

He should have had the assistant fired for not doing her job.

by Anonymousreply 15February 26, 2021 11:44 AM

[quote] He alleges that she conducted a “results oriented” investigation, was biased against him, and did not give him a fair opportunity to defend himself.

Corporate buzzwords like 'results oriented' make me want to run screaming from the room

by Anonymousreply 16February 26, 2021 11:48 AM

[quote] upgrade to “premium economy” for the 14-hour flight to New Zealand.

Lol. That's hardly an "upgrade". I've taken that flight sitting in business class, and even that was taxing on the body after 14 hours.

by Anonymousreply 17February 26, 2021 11:48 AM

I'm with Amazon on this one.

First of all, my company has always had a strict policy against first and business class travel, except in rare cases (for example, someone will be testifying on Capitol Hill). If he wanted an upgrade, he should've paid out-of-pocket at the airport. Also, had he gotten away with it once, he would've done it again and again and again.

Secondly, he sounds like a real piece of work. Flying first class was just the easiest excuse to fire him.

by Anonymousreply 18February 26, 2021 11:52 AM

I'm not on his side at all on this.

The company has a clear policy on travel, whether you agree with it or not. If it was that important to him to upgrade, he should have done it as his own expense.

by Anonymousreply 19February 26, 2021 11:55 AM

[quote]First of all, my company has always had a strict policy against first and business class travel

Irrelevant. What your company does is completely and entirely irrelevant and saying "well MY company doesn't allow it" makes you sound childish.

by Anonymousreply 20February 26, 2021 11:58 AM

The guy's a total douchebag

by Anonymousreply 21February 26, 2021 11:58 AM

He attempted to get a free upgrade that he was entitled to from the airline, r19.

No one reads these articles do they? All these people claiming that he's obviously a piece of shit, you can tell by the article, but they didn't even read the article! Typical Datalounge.

Oh well, enjoy licking corporate boot, everyone. I'm sure it'll work out well for you, like it does for everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 22February 26, 2021 12:00 PM

R20, my company has a policy and I bought up legitimate work-arounds used by employees! I seriously doubt this guy couldn't afford to upgrade out-of-pocket. He sounds like an entitled POS.

Assholes love to stick up for their own kind I see.

by Anonymousreply 23February 26, 2021 12:01 PM

He's not vomiting blood, and so he is perfectly healthy!

by Anonymousreply 24February 26, 2021 12:02 PM

As someone said above, it is shocking that the upgrade was to Premium Economy. He might be a douchebag but to have execs fly coach on a 14-hour flight is really crappy on Amazon. The more money people make, the less they want to pay for it....I am sure that buying an upgrade out of his own pocket money would not have been that much of an issue. Now, about the assistant filming him....

by Anonymousreply 25February 26, 2021 12:03 PM

I am sympathetic - my partner has scoliosis but not the sciatica. He doesnt travel long distance well, and any really long trip we take needs to be broken up into manageable chunks. Having both would be absolute shit.

And R10 is dead right - neither scoliosis or sciatica are visible until the patient is bent over in agony. This guy would normally look fit and healthy in pics.

He also raised the issue beforehand with Amazon several times, its not like he just upgraded without forewarning. His assistant also fucked up big time like what R15 said

He probably should have paid for the upgrade himself though and claimed the money back once he had his medical clearance

by Anonymousreply 26February 26, 2021 12:05 PM

[quote]The big mistake this guy made was not terminating the discussion with HR the second they said the word "penis" and getting an attorney.

Abso-bloody-lutely.

by Anonymousreply 27February 26, 2021 12:05 PM

He should have requested a reasonable accommodation, which must be different than “medical clearance” because he could have forced them to expedite it or face a lawsuit. I wonder what he did to piss his assistant off so much she turned on him like this.

by Anonymousreply 28February 26, 2021 12:07 PM

[quote] He suggested that Sadeghi should try to get a medical clearance from Amazon. But Sadeghi knew that could take months, and he was needed in New Zealand right away.

Although I think a 'coach-only' policy is bullshit on a 14-hour flight, I don't understand why he thinks it would've taken months to get a medical clearance. Assuming his condition is real, an exam by an orthopedic surgeon could be done fairly quickly and a letter procured.

Without the letter, he should've paid for the upgrade himself, and once he obtained certification from the doctor put in an expense claim for reimbursement.

by Anonymousreply 29February 26, 2021 12:09 PM

[quote] It's not like he flew fist class

Flying "FIST CLASS" really would have been painful, R11!

by Anonymousreply 30February 26, 2021 2:22 PM

Steve Grand always flies fist class.

by Anonymousreply 31February 26, 2021 2:22 PM

This happens every day all over the world. Executives fudge their expenses/budgets and leverage their relationships with suppliers to benefit themselves. If he had a godfather at the company it wouldn't have happened. It sounds like someone covered for him before but couldn't do it this time because of an envious, officious cunt. Any employment lawyer would love this case.

How much would the company be out if he needed 8 weeks of sick time for back surgery and 12 weeks of p/t? Presumably he's very skilled. Why would you want an executive to suffer for 14 hours,, seething in their hatred for the company rather than arriving relaxed, appreciative and motivated to keep such a great job. Fuck Bezos.

by Anonymousreply 32February 26, 2021 2:42 PM

Surely, you would have submitted medical evidence to your employer stating that you couldn't fly coach for such a long time due to your condition. If you weren't able to submit that evidence in time, then pay for the upgrade personally and keep the receipt until the medical evidence came through then submit a backdated claim for the upgrade.

I wouldn't have just gone ahead like he did without written authorisation from my boss or Ginny in Accounts.

by Anonymousreply 33February 26, 2021 3:05 PM

My old company generally didn't allow first-class travel on shorter flights. But on longer ones (I think the cutoff was six hours of flying time and up), an upgrade to the level of service above coach was permitted.

This was in the olden days, before the notion of "premium economy" emerged. So it meant, in most cases, that a business class ticket was permitted for these longer flights.

Paying for "upgrades" out of one's own pocket seems like a reasonable policy. The issue is that, particularly for longer flights, "upgrades" are seldom available. You are really forced to buy a ticket for the higher class of service to ensure you will have a seat in that cabin. That additional cost can be much more than the cost of an "upgrade."

I'm with R10. So glad to be retired and not to have to travel frequently or deal with this BS.

by Anonymousreply 34February 26, 2021 4:59 PM

I travel extensively for my job- unless specified in a contract coach is expected. I will pay for my own upgrade as it is usually only a few hundred dollars domestic. For international, I just book FF miles in business..

by Anonymousreply 35February 26, 2021 5:07 PM

It is absurd that a company would require someone to travel internationally in coach - it's in the name "BUSINESS class"

My firm always paid for business class on international flight (except to Canada) and would pay for business if we were flying coast to coast (NY-LA/SF) or on a redeye. It understood that it lost a lot more when people arrive tired from travel and operating at less than full capacity. If the business you need to conduct is important enough to require a face-to-face meeting, you needed to be sharp, not exhausted.

That said, he didn't do his due diligence. He should have taken the need to pay for his own upgrades for international flights into consideration when negotiating his salary. You make tradeoffs if you want a career-making job. Also, if he's traveling enough, he'd have upgrades banked from frequent flier miles.

However, the assistant sounds like garbage no matter how you slice it. That said, isn't California a 2-party consent state for recording private conversations? Wouldn't her recordings be illegal and grounds for her termination?

by Anonymousreply 36February 26, 2021 5:12 PM

What kind of trashy company expects an exec to sit in coach for a long haul flight?

by Anonymousreply 37February 26, 2021 5:43 PM

R37 an increasingly common one. The days of business class travel have very much disappeared in cost cutting measures.

Whether the pandemic will change that. Whether companies will limit travel now we're in the age of Zoom meetings. Who knows?

by Anonymousreply 38February 26, 2021 5:59 PM

I'm surprised that no one is mentioning Jeff Bezos' net worth in this conversation.

He is worth $193,000,000,000.

A first class upgrade for one of his highest level executives is NOTHING to him. Less than nothing, in fact.

I'm sure that is what was going through Marc Sedeghi's mind when he told the assistant to upgrade his seat.

It's mind boggling to me that Bezos can have more money than he will ever need in 100 lifetimes, yet he is so fucking CHEAP with his executives.

This is truly what's wrong with our world today.

by Anonymousreply 39February 26, 2021 6:16 PM

He could have booked a cuddle-class seat and it would have shown up as economy on the receipt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40February 26, 2021 6:18 PM

R39 The reason he is worth $193,000,000,000 is because of this penny pinching.

by Anonymousreply 41February 26, 2021 6:23 PM

[quote]On Dec. 3, 2019, he sat down with Ivre Kladnick, who quickly launched into a series of questions.... “Have you ever asked your assistant to run personal errands?” “Have you ever sent your assistant a picture of a cartoon penis?” “Have you ever instructed your assistant to break policy?” Thinking fast, Sadeghi deduced that his assistant had turned on him.

A cartoon penis? I think there's a lot more going on than just an unauthorized travel expenditure.

by Anonymousreply 42February 26, 2021 6:37 PM

I'll bet that shit Bezos hasn't sat in a coach seat in decades. I'm sure he flies private anyway. During my corporate years our policy was that an employee was allowed to fly business class on any flight over 2 hours. If we wanted to fly business class on shorter flights we could pay for the upgrade ourselves.

by Anonymousreply 43February 26, 2021 6:49 PM

[quote]What kind of trashy company expects an exec to sit in coach for a long haul flight?

The kind of company whose business model involves offering products it doesn't make at exceptionally cheap prices to undercut its competitors.

I don't suppose they care if their warehouse workers have scoliosis and sciatica either. Amazon is famous for its assholish and penny-pinching corporate culture so I don't have much sympathy for this gentleman, he should have known what he was getting in to. I don't shop from Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 44February 26, 2021 6:58 PM

Amazon is a shit company and I hope he wins millions. Bezos is a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 45February 26, 2021 7:01 PM

[quote] Amazon is a shit company and I hope he wins millions. Bezos is a cunt.

Millions for what? Not getting a seat in First Class?

That's ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 46February 28, 2021 5:57 PM

IMO, it's a BS policy - especially for something as minor as premium economy.

BUT, it's not like it's illegal to have such a policy and, he knew about it beforehand, so it's on him. Why not just pay for his own upgrade and continue to make his case later?

Also, the assistant should get fired too.

by Anonymousreply 47February 28, 2021 6:50 PM

[wuote]R10 he will have records of medical diagnosis. The photos posted here to show "he looks young and fit" and "perfectly fine" are really ignorant.

He is a monster.

[italic]LOCK ‘IM UP!

by Anonymousreply 48February 28, 2021 7:40 PM

[quote]R12 I've seen plenty of stitched-up takedowns of middle-level male employees, engineered by petty jealous junior females, aided by HR hags. That the male employees were, in a few instances, assholes, is irrelevant.

Except if they weren’t assholes, it wouldn’t have happened. So it’s entirely relevant.

by Anonymousreply 49February 28, 2021 7:43 PM

[quote]R12 The corporate world is now a mentally stressing place stuffed with tripwires for men.

Thank goodness it never was for WOMEN!

by Anonymousreply 50February 28, 2021 7:45 PM

I'm not with either of them. They both suck, and the assistant does too.

Amazon should "win" simply because it was clear policy and he violated it.

by Anonymousreply 51February 28, 2021 8:15 PM

Policies like this are so short-sighted, it always makes me smile when I see a story like this. Fired for upgrading to Economy-plus? On a 14-hour flight? By an executive that they must be paying well into six figures? That's just counterproductive. You might save pennies on the flight, but waste thousands of dollars in a single day's lost productivity.

That this is Amazon's policy makes perfect sense.

by Anonymousreply 52February 28, 2021 8:21 PM

I blame the airlines for making coach such a cruelly uncomfortable, cramped place to begin with.

On international flights it should be mandatory business class type seating.

by Anonymousreply 53February 28, 2021 8:30 PM

[quote] Steve Grand always flies fist class.

It’s because there’s more room to fist in first

by Anonymousreply 54February 28, 2021 8:43 PM

If your assistant is secretly recording you, there could be multiple reasons:

1) Make sure you get all of the details right after regurgitating a lot of demands 2) Easier than taking notes 3) Can playback his requests if he said he never said that or 4) This motherfucker is hell on Earth to work for and regularly berates the assistant.

Scoliosis is one thing - but there's no evidence that a first class seat is going to alleviate the pain. He can always get up to walk around during the long flight - or push his seat backwards.

Based on the photos, this is NOT a tall guy where regular coach seating would be agony.

Finally, he has enough money to pay for upgrades or to use his POINTS from his frequent travels to do so. This guy sounds like a Persian asshole.

by Anonymousreply 55February 28, 2021 8:52 PM

I worked for a small consulting company with clients located in PRC and Europe. Company policy was coach on all flights, unless you could get client to pay for upgrade to business class. (Travel was usually associated with final presentations, in which the client was paying for the consulting services as well as out of pocket expenses).

by Anonymousreply 56February 28, 2021 8:58 PM

This is what happens when entertainment industry culture gets taken over by tech industry culture.

by Anonymousreply 57February 28, 2021 9:01 PM

Years ago there was a congressman who sponsored a bill requiring all US diplomats to fly in economy class. Years later Bill Clinton made him an ambassador: Most high ranking diplomats were upgraded free of charge. Not this ambassador though.

by Anonymousreply 58February 28, 2021 9:04 PM

What I want to know is the most important thing, did he send his assistant the cartoon penis?

by Anonymousreply 59February 28, 2021 9:13 PM

Whose cartoon penis was it?

Aquaman?

Elmer Fudd?

Daffy Duck?

by Anonymousreply 60February 28, 2021 9:19 PM

If he worked in SFX, it might have been this cartoon penis...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61February 28, 2021 9:20 PM

Sadeghi will probably lose - he was in the wrong - but will move on. However, in his place, I would make sure to sabotage the assistant's future career.

by Anonymousreply 62March 1, 2021 6:26 AM

In a close reading of the article, he had been informing the company about his back issues. His supervisor was "not unsympathetic" whatever that legal-speak is designed to hide. He had been informed he needed a medical clearance. Such a debilitating physical condition would be extensively documented. Where are the records? However it appears there was a sudden time crunch for the trip. The sense of entitlement is strong. He was sloppy and gave them more evidence. The focus on the ticket is just a smokescreen for the underlying acts. If this gets to the discovery phase there will be a lot more gossip about the work culture. I predict a settlement.

by Anonymousreply 63March 1, 2021 11:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!