Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jodie Foster is a delight

I saw her on the Today Show this morning, and I have to say that she is a total delight. Who knew she was so likable?

She still has tons of charisma and looks AMAZING for 58. She literally looks like she's still in her 40s. I wish she acted more, because I would rather watch her than Meryl and Glenn any day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129February 26, 2024 6:38 PM

Her recent Mark Marin podcast interview is worth listening to.

by Anonymousreply 1February 25, 2021 2:46 PM

I like Jodie and she has a great plastic surgeon. There might have been a filter on the camera lens during that interview.

by Anonymousreply 2February 25, 2021 2:48 PM

I do think there was a filter, but yeah, she looks good. I wish she weren't so weirdly coy about being gay, but I didn't grow up the way she did or at the time she did, so I'll cut her some slack.

by Anonymousreply 3February 25, 2021 2:50 PM

Looks 58 to me

by Anonymousreply 4February 25, 2021 2:54 PM

She peaked with the original Freaky Friday (1976).

by Anonymousreply 5February 25, 2021 2:55 PM

She looks good, but that new movie she's promoting looks dreary.

What's the story behind the Aaron Rogers thing they mentioned? He "thanked" her on TV.

by Anonymousreply 6February 25, 2021 2:56 PM

The acting range of a stop sign.

by Anonymousreply 7February 25, 2021 3:20 PM

I think it has taken her a very long time to seem at ease in public. She comes across a lot warmer and more relaxed. The Hinckley incident did a number on her and then she was so publicly closeted/privately out she always seemed to be on high alert.

by Anonymousreply 8February 25, 2021 3:50 PM

R8, Would anyone blame her? I give her a pass for being guarded in years past. That would do a number on anyone.

by Anonymousreply 9February 25, 2021 4:02 PM

Dark Lesbian

by Anonymousreply 10February 25, 2021 4:07 PM

What was so bad about the Hinkley incident? It wasn't her who got shot!

by Anonymousreply 11February 25, 2021 4:18 PM

She's really four-walling the media for an Oscar nod. Reviews say the movie is a confusing, talky bore.

by Anonymousreply 12February 25, 2021 5:08 PM

I like her. She can speak four languages and is an educated woman of the world.

by Anonymousreply 13February 25, 2021 5:13 PM

She's gay

by Anonymousreply 14February 25, 2021 5:19 PM

[quote] I think it has taken her a very long time to seem at ease in public. She comes across a lot warmer and more relaxed

This right here.

I agree she does have a somewhat limited palette/range, but I think she's incredibly smart about film. Shame her films are often drudges, as this one seems to be.

by Anonymousreply 15February 25, 2021 5:31 PM

I don’t think she’s had work, I think she’s just slim and takes good care of her health.

She seems super smart and her brain is always going a thousand miles an hour. I’ve always been a fan, even with all the gossip about her personal life.

by Anonymousreply 16February 25, 2021 5:41 PM

Her son's going bald.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17February 25, 2021 5:42 PM

It doesn’t look like there’s a “filter” on her camera, it just looks like the typical crappy video signal that has become the norm now in the COVID era.

by Anonymousreply 18February 25, 2021 5:49 PM

I've always liked her and wish her well. Didn't she and her brother who was on "Mayberry RFD" have a falling out years ago? If so, I wonder if they ever made amends.

by Anonymousreply 19February 25, 2021 5:51 PM

I like and admire Jodie but her acting has always been wooden. She often seems forced and you can tell she is trying, whereas M and G are more adept at screen acting. It’s always been odd to me that she barely works and when she does they are odd projects.

by Anonymousreply 20February 25, 2021 5:51 PM

The white hair in the film is very flattering on her.

by Anonymousreply 21February 25, 2021 5:56 PM

“M and G”

Expand your horizons, please.

by Anonymousreply 22February 25, 2021 6:03 PM

Op works for Foster.

by Anonymousreply 23February 25, 2021 6:32 PM

r17, that's not her son, though.

by Anonymousreply 24February 25, 2021 7:07 PM

She's slightly older than Julia Roberts and Sandra Bullock, but I think she looks younger than both of them. I'm sure she's also had far less work done on her face than both of them.

It blows my mind that someone who starred in The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane in 1976 could still look so youthful today. It doesn't seem possible.

Is her older sister, who used to be her body double, still alive?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25February 25, 2021 7:14 PM

I didn't know she had siblings, I thought she was an only child.

by Anonymousreply 26February 25, 2021 7:16 PM

Her sister did the nude scene for her in TLGWLDTL.

by Anonymousreply 27February 25, 2021 8:25 PM

Love her in Contact.

by Anonymousreply 28February 25, 2021 8:34 PM

I wonder what happened between her parents that kept her from having a relationship with her father. Brandy seems like a typical wacko stage mom, but who knows.

by Anonymousreply 29February 25, 2021 9:07 PM

In films she always sounds like she's late for a bowling tournament. I'm a guy and even I can't believe her playing straight.

by Anonymousreply 30February 25, 2021 10:30 PM

[quote]What's the story behind the Aaron Rogers thing they mentioned? He "thanked" her on TV.

Are they STILL talking about that???? Lord, AR’s PR people seem desperate to keep this story going.

by Anonymousreply 31February 25, 2021 10:32 PM

Her butchness seemed to limit her acting career. She could never do anything where she played a wife or love interest. She says she mostly wants to direct but she seems really eager for an Oscar nomination in acting this year. She's giving interviews everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 32February 25, 2021 10:34 PM

[quote] I like and admire Jodie but her acting has always been wooden.

When I read something like this I always wonder, well, who the hell are the master thespians that are so much better?

M and G? Streep seems to have built half her career on averting her eyes.

Then there are references to old timey actors, but then you watch them and all they seem to do is chew the scenery.

by Anonymousreply 33February 25, 2021 10:45 PM

I believe this is Jodie's sister Connie, who used to double for Jodie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34February 25, 2021 10:54 PM

In the video at R34, the in-video caption names the lady as Connie Fisher (instead of Foster).

by Anonymousreply 35February 25, 2021 10:59 PM

I wouldn't call her "delightful." Has she EVER come out! I remember some show where she supposedly did but she didn't; she made a joke about it saying something like 'I admit it it...I'm SINGLE!" I never much liked her, especially after she came out in defense of her "good friend" Mel Gibson. She basically said he was be forgiven for his racist, anti-semitic, misogynist tirades because he's "an alcoholic."

A long, long time ago rumors swirled about her and off all people Russell Crowe. At some awards show they attended they were seen...french kissing. Gag! Supposedly Crowe wanted her to be his lover, but it didn't work out because he eventually found out she "played for the other team." I guess it was all a publicity stunt. He was slated to play the lead in a film she was directing called : "Flora Plum." In it Crowe would have played a "circus beast (?)" who falls in love with a trapeze artist (Claire Danes). Crowe injured his arm and the project was shelved; thankfully it never got made. I think it would have been awful.

by Anonymousreply 36February 25, 2021 11:10 PM

[quote] It blows my mind that someone who starred in The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane in 1976 could still look so youthful today. It doesn't seem possible.

Well, she was still basically a kid then. But can we also talk about what a fucking revelation Scott Jacoby is in that movie? He is an absolute joy to watch. One of the best performances by anyone, ever. I really mean that.

Better than “M and G” by a mile.

by Anonymousreply 37February 26, 2021 12:48 AM

Jodie Foster is a LESBIAN delight

by Anonymousreply 38February 26, 2021 1:19 AM

That IS her son, R24.

He posted the photo on his Instagram account.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39February 26, 2021 1:29 AM

She acts like a woman that got on some new antidepressants and they work great.

by Anonymousreply 40February 26, 2021 1:34 AM

R19. yes her and I believe his name is Buddy have been estranged for years. He's another version of my dad without the drugs, the temper, the depravity and the world class crazy. He sells family secrets and discusses his sister when the money gets tight. I think Buddy even wrote a book at one point.

by Anonymousreply 41February 26, 2021 1:35 AM

I think she’s tremendous!

by Anonymousreply 42February 26, 2021 1:35 AM

Jodie killed Phyllis!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43February 26, 2021 2:00 AM

"The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane" deserves a remake. Jodie Foster was the hot female child actress at the time, so that's how she got the role, but she was really wrong for it. I read the book; the character of Rynn was a proper English girl who has just turned 13 (Foster looks older than that) ; it's implied she's quite attractive and she has "pretty hair." Foster came across as her usual unfeminine tomboy self and her hair looked awful. I guess it would; it was a wig, a bad one (it looked like straw). By the way, Martin Sheen was wrong for his role, too. He played the local child molester Frank Hallett; in the novel he's a repulsive looking, horrible creep. As played by Martin Sheen he's still a horrible creep but he's definitely not repulsive looking; Martin Sheen looked quite fine. Anyway, a remake could be VERY interesting. I wonder how they'd handle the sex scene today. In the novel 13 year old Rynn goes to bed with her 16 year old accomplice Mario; if they used an actress who actually looked 13...well, imagine the outcry about THAT.

by Anonymousreply 44February 26, 2021 2:15 AM

Jodie also played a prostitute when she was 12. She also shot one of most uncomfortable scenes I've ever seen in a movie. And this is also someone who was front and center of a brutal gang rape sequence later in her career. But the gross, disgusting seduction dance in Taxi Driver was so disturbing it made Harvey Kietel vomit, panic and deeply affected him.

by Anonymousreply 45February 26, 2021 2:20 AM

I listened to her on Marc Maron and agree she came off as very relaxed, pleasant, and intelligent. Despite two Oscars, though, her career is pretty spotty. She hasn't been involved in a project of any prestige for 15 years.

by Anonymousreply 46February 26, 2021 2:28 AM

She is at her most impressive and beautiful in this French interview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47February 26, 2021 2:36 AM

r35, At the beginning of the video where they introduce her, the audio goes out when they say her last name unfortunately. But in the comment section, someone says that the caption in the video is mislabeled, and that she is actually Connie Foster, not Connie Fisher. Also, at 2:30 of the video, she says she was on the TV series Chicago Story, which accords with Connie Foster's IMDB listing (the same listing indicates she was a double for Jodie Foster in Taxi Driver). Finally, she does bare a vague resemblance to Jodie. So I think it's Jodie's sister.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48February 26, 2021 2:39 AM

I love her. But doesn't she have a gay male friend around that could give her some advice about that hair?

by Anonymousreply 49February 26, 2021 2:43 AM

She’s gone on record saying she prefers directing to acting. I think she feels she doesn’t have anymore to prove acting wise, but is stumping for her first nomination in over 25 years right now. Her ego needs a third win. She really turned obnoxious after her Silence second Oscar like she could walk on water. She blasted Scott Rudin in a Vanity Fair interview in 94 saying he exemplifies everything negative in the movie biz. Look at his resume now bitch compared to yours.

by Anonymousreply 50February 26, 2021 2:47 AM

r44, Jodie was perfect for Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane. That she doesn't match the character in the book is irrelevant. Her off-putting precocity made the film.

by Anonymousreply 51February 26, 2021 2:50 AM

Isn't Scott Rudin a well known nasty asshole? No one seemed to come out and denounce or "cancel" Jodie for saying it. She remains extremely well liked and respected among her peers and has a slew of powerful friends despite saying what she felt about him. Many people feel the same way about him.

by Anonymousreply 52February 26, 2021 2:52 AM

With the exception of Contact and Silence of the Lambs, and really nothing in between those films and Taxi Driver, Jodie's films haven't been especially memorable or profitable. Nobody remembers The Accused (it's really just a glorified Lifetime movie), Sommersby was terrible, Anna and the King unbearably dull, Foxes is kind of fun but still trashy.

by Anonymousreply 53February 26, 2021 2:53 AM

"Jodie was perfect for Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane."

Uh, no. The character was very different with her playing it. In the movie Rynn isn't Rynn; Rynn is Jodie Foster, doing her thing.

by Anonymousreply 54February 26, 2021 2:54 AM

I always kinda liked her first directing effort. Little Man Tate was not bad at all.

by Anonymousreply 55February 26, 2021 2:55 AM

[quote] "The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane" deserves a remake.

Idiotic. Blocking you now R44.

by Anonymousreply 56February 26, 2021 2:55 AM

[quote]"The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane" deserves a remake.

That's one of those movies that could never be made today. It's a shame because it's one of my favorite movies from the 1970s. The whole cast is sublime. Hope Lange was robbed of an Oscar nomination.

Does anyone know whatever happened to Scott Jacoby? He disappeared after this movie. He was such a great actor and should have gone on to a big career.

by Anonymousreply 57February 26, 2021 3:00 AM

Jodie is beautiful, smart, and a great actress. She is definitely a gay that we can be proud of!

by Anonymousreply 58February 26, 2021 3:44 AM

"Does anyone know whatever happened to Scott Jacoby? He disappeared after this movie. "

He continued to act. He was Dorothy's loser musician son on "The Golden Girls." I don't think he does much acting now.

by Anonymousreply 59February 26, 2021 3:51 AM

It says on imdb that Scott Jacoby owns a recording studio.

He was a great actor. Loved him in this. Kind of a childhood crush of mine. He was so charming and the limp made him sympathetic. He won an Emmy as a kid for the landmark film That Certain Summer also with Martin Sheen. I saw it once but should try to find it again.

r57 I think you mean Alexis Smith. Hope Lange wasn't in that movie. (which I also love.)

by Anonymousreply 60February 26, 2021 4:00 AM

She surprised me with her light, comedic role in “Maverick”.

by Anonymousreply 61February 26, 2021 4:13 AM

She was actually a hoot in Maverick. I think the character being a trickster helped her slightly butchy natural demeanor. It actually enhanced the performance.

by Anonymousreply 62February 26, 2021 4:17 AM

I wonder how she got the role in The Accused. She was kind of out of the loop for a while there in low profile film's.

The Accused had a lot of hype since it was the followup film by the producers of Fatal Attraction. I think Kelly McGillis had her choice of which role she wanted due to her Top Gun success. Oops. Picked the wrong role. Jodie went on to an Oscar and stardom and Kelly never really got a good film again.

by Anonymousreply 63February 26, 2021 4:19 AM

R63 almost every actress that age wanted the part and all were considered. I remember reading at the time that Foster had to fight and actually audition for the role which she probably hadn't been asked to do since she was a teen. The studio actually didn't think she was sexy enough and "rapable" if I remember reading correctly. Which would get anyone in a studio cancelled today for even intimating. Am I misremembering but I could swear I had never heard the term "rapable" before. That's just a horrible thing to say.

by Anonymousreply 64February 26, 2021 4:27 AM

Here's a list of who was up for The Accused. (this site is very inaccurate though usually.)

I think I've heard Jennifer Jason Leigh talk about losing the role at the very end. (she does seem like the obvious choice)

I'll have to ask Meg Tilly on her youtube page if she auditioned. She's pretty good about answering questions. She told a story the other day about losing the part in The Accidental Tourist to Geena Davis which she thought was going to be hers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65February 26, 2021 4:43 AM

Here's a list of who was up for The Accused. (this site is very inaccurate though usually.)

I think I've heard Jennifer Jason Leigh talk about losing the role at the very end. (she does seem like the obvious choice)

I'll have to ask Meg Tilly on her youtube page if she auditioned. She's pretty good about answering questions. She told a story the other day about losing the part in The Accidental Tourist to Geena Davis which she thought was going to be hers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66February 26, 2021 4:43 AM

WTF---did Debra Winger give another actress a compliment?

by Anonymousreply 67February 26, 2021 4:47 AM

I doubt Marilu Henner was really in contention. I guess we could ask her. I'm sure she'll remember her audition. (Oh yes I wore a blue scarf that day.....)

by Anonymousreply 68February 26, 2021 4:52 AM

r64, that "rapable" comment reminds me of the vile comments Dino De Laurentiis made about Jodie. He said she was unbedable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69February 26, 2021 5:17 AM

Jodie actually had chemistry with that moth expert in Silence of the Lambs who asks her out. Rare for her. (also with Scott Jacoby too.)

by Anonymousreply 70February 26, 2021 5:21 AM

I enjoyed little man tate, harry connick jr was in his prime.

by Anonymousreply 71February 26, 2021 5:55 AM

The Accused is odd in that it has a gay man raping a gay woman who is then defended in court by another gay woman.

by Anonymousreply 72February 26, 2021 6:00 AM

R72 lol

by Anonymousreply 73February 26, 2021 6:09 AM

It's rumored that Whitney Houston showed up on the set of The Accused and got in a physical fight with one of the two lead actresses. Maybe she was dating one of them and was angry that the actress was sleeping with her costar?

by Anonymousreply 74February 26, 2021 6:09 AM

R72, who is the gay man who rapes her in The Accused?

by Anonymousreply 75February 26, 2021 6:14 AM

Steve Antin, the college kid.

(now has some seriously bad plastic surgery.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76February 26, 2021 6:19 AM

I could not love her more.

She is unique.

by Anonymousreply 77February 26, 2021 6:54 AM

I loved her in Inside Man. When I was a kid, one of my favorite movies was Candleshoe. She was great in it.

by Anonymousreply 78February 26, 2021 7:46 AM

Every fucking Jodie Foster thread has a mention of Hinkley--"Remember that? That would screw up anyone." Oh, no. No one remembers when a president was shot. Fucking retards. And it was 40 years ago and I don't see how that could still be impacting her today to any significant degree. She sure did utilize it to stay in the closet. I don't fault her for that since I don't think it's anybody's business to be deciding if someone else should be out or not. It's one thing to have an opinion, but I don't believe in that whole forcing people to reveal personal info about themselves.

The other thing always mentioned is the alleged love triangle on the set of The Accused. YES! We all already know about it! There have been threads dedicated to it. Don't fucking post about it like it's news to everyone.

As far as the new movie goes, the Oscars mean even less now that there are diversity requirements for being eligible for nominations. I mean, who the fuck really cares about mainstream Hollywood anymore? The movies are crap, and most everyone involved in that industry is corrupt, deviant, mediocre at best, and think they're royalty.

by Anonymousreply 79February 26, 2021 12:17 PM

what's also odd about the accused is that both the actual victim and perpetrators were Portuguese, and part of what made the case so inflammatory was how it stoked tensions between local white trash (who were among the onlookers at the bar) and the longstanding Portuguese community. The movie reframed the incident solely in terms of class by casting the perps as preppy white college kids so the audience could gawk at Foster the French-speaking Yalie playing working class, which Foster doesn't do convincingly at all.

by Anonymousreply 80February 26, 2021 12:32 PM

Thank you, OP.

LEZ be friends.

by Anonymousreply 81February 26, 2021 12:34 PM

R80 Hello, she a butch, she plays poor white trash JUST FINE. You saying she comes off as anything else is what’s unconvincing.

by Anonymousreply 82February 26, 2021 12:57 PM

I thought when she on the Actors Studio, she was pretty classy talking about Taxi Driver and working with Robert DeNiro.

by Anonymousreply 83February 26, 2021 1:41 PM

She would have made Nomadland a lot more watchable than it currently is

by Anonymousreply 84February 26, 2021 1:52 PM

Wow, Dino DeL is an asshole. Imagine watching a horror movie that somehow manages to be hopeful and inspiring. The movie becomes hugely popular, makes a ton of money, wins the lead actor and actress an Oscar, and inspires countless young women (and men) to pursue careers as FBI agents. And you're just going to whine because your dick didn't get hard from watching the lead actress? Do straight women whine because Anthony Hopkins didn't arouse them sexually? Should Brad Pitt have played Hannibal Lecter? What a clusterfuck.

by Anonymousreply 85February 26, 2021 2:11 PM

R45, they did use Foster's older sister as a body double in that scene, but I can see why it was still really hard for Keitel to film.

by Anonymousreply 86February 26, 2021 2:29 PM

I recently watched LITTLE GIRL for the first time and tried to get through TAXI DRIVER (didn't quite make it). Both films presented young Jodie as a sort of freak of nature - a worldly grown woman trapped in a child's body who's possessed of an outsized intelligence. Her persona was that of a gifted child who's also perhaps intimidating and menacing to adults - something more suited to horror movies than real-world drama.

As she transitioned to adulthood Jodie seemed to shrink down to size - no longer the dazzling young genius but a cold presence with an obvious lesbian vibe. Apart from SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, in which she was superb, she seemed to be shoe-horned into most of her mainstream roles - an obvious lesbian attempting (sometimes painfully) to be taken as a heterosexual leading lady. Through no fault of her own as she got older she also got less interesting and I don't think she has a particularly artistic personality or outlook - her profession is just something she inherited from her childhood with origins in her mother's ambition and not necessarily her own.

She does seem very likable and I wish her the best, although she's not by any stretch my idea of a "movie star."

by Anonymousreply 87February 26, 2021 7:08 PM

[quote]As far as the new movie goes, the Oscars mean even less now that there are diversity requirements for being eligible for nominations.

Yes, R79, gone are the good ol' days when only white people were nominated for awards they didn't deserve.

by Anonymousreply 88February 26, 2021 7:15 PM

Her hair and makeup in The Mauritanian (at r1) looks like a horrendously bad disguise, even faker than her look in The Accused.

by Anonymousreply 89February 26, 2021 7:21 PM

She and Myrna Loy have the same bone structure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90February 26, 2021 7:41 PM

r90 is Trixie Delight.

by Anonymousreply 91February 26, 2021 7:49 PM

Her beauty and her innate talent were certainly there as a child, but she had to become very cold and guarded because of the Hinckley thing, and it became just about impossible to like her. She was also usually unwilling to do roles unless they were feminist heroines, and some of them were quite dull: her best parts were when she could play really complex and flawed women (like Sara in "The Accused" and Clarice in "Silence") who were heroines despite their flaws. I don't think anyone remembers her performances in "Panic Room" or the one about the disappeared child on the plane--those women were so noble and dull.

by Anonymousreply 92February 26, 2021 7:54 PM

The bone structure started kicking in around the time of Carny...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93February 26, 2021 8:20 PM

R39, that’s a different Charles Foster. Jodie’s kids pictured below, Charles on the right

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94February 26, 2021 10:31 PM

On the left, sorry

by Anonymousreply 95February 26, 2021 10:32 PM

[quote] Every fucking Jodie Foster thread has a mention of Hinkley--"Remember that? That would screw up anyone." Oh, no. No one remembers when a president was shot. Fucking retards.

LOL!

[quote]And it was 40 years ago and I don't see how that could still be impacting her today to any significant degree.

Ooof. You had me in your corner until you used ‘impacting’.

by Anonymousreply 96February 26, 2021 11:55 PM

I know a lot of people dislike on her and same-age Tom Cruise, but I always connected with Jodie as well as he watching them grow/age in their careers, maybe because I'm the same age as them. I think they both actually are iconic symbols of their generation of actors who made lasting impressions and iconic-era films. Plus Jodie was everywhere on TV and in Disney films when I was a kid in the '60s and 1970s. Wasn't she also the original "Coppertone" suntan lotion print ads kid? Anyway, I also always thought she was a hoot in "Nell." Was it wrong for her to be a hoot in that film?!

by Anonymousreply 97February 27, 2021 1:44 AM

She looks healthy.

by Anonymousreply 98February 27, 2021 2:49 AM

Jodie and Tom are friends. And he actually handed her her first Oscar

by Anonymousreply 99February 27, 2021 4:50 AM

Most people in Hollywood like and respect Jodie Foster. Tom Cruise among them. Other than the occasional producer saying she's not hot comments most other actors have deep respect for her. Thats even true for younger actors that come ti Hollywood. Im pretty sure she's universally admired

by Anonymousreply 100February 27, 2021 4:55 AM

[quote]Every fucking Jodie Foster thread has a mention of Hinkley--"Remember that? That would screw up anyone." Oh, no. No one remembers when a president was shot. Fucking retards. And it was 40 years ago and I don't see how that could still be impacting her today to any significant degree

But it does affect her. She said as much when she did Inside the Actors Studio. A student asked if she ever would do theater. She went on to explain how she was in a play at college when the Hinckley thing happened and that the trauma of it all (they had to put metal detectors in the lobby) permanently turned her off to being on stage and that she'd never do it again.

by Anonymousreply 101February 27, 2021 5:16 AM

I did not like The Mauritanian but she way way more convincing than Glenn Close's clown act performance. I predict Jodie gets the nomination

by Anonymousreply 102February 27, 2021 6:17 AM

[quote] Streep seems to have built half her career on averting her eyes.

omfg 😂🤣😂🤣

by Anonymousreply 103February 27, 2021 6:22 AM

R76 JFC! And he was so hot, too.

by Anonymousreply 104February 27, 2021 6:27 AM

I have always loved Jodie Foster even if some of her movies are a chore to get through. And she is a delight to listen to in interviews. Smart, intelligent, funny and attractive.

by Anonymousreply 105February 27, 2021 6:29 AM

I think would be nice to see Jodie back at the Oscars. She's classy and even the most homophobe Trumpers all respect her. My deplorable family members all love Jodie Foster. I'm not sure how she appeals to them other than being a dependable familiar face they like.

by Anonymousreply 106February 27, 2021 6:59 AM

Horseshit R5.

by Anonymousreply 107February 27, 2021 7:08 AM

She was excellent in Maverick, probably my favourite film with her.

by Anonymousreply 108February 27, 2021 7:30 AM

R108 an underrated performance oh hers. She was actually very funny. And as has been mentioned before her slight butchiness works here because she's playing a con artist. And she actually has great chemistry with Mel Gibson in a strange non sexual way. Even though we know he is one of her best friends.

by Anonymousreply 109February 27, 2021 7:34 AM

yes this is the movie they became very close in. Mel also considers Jodie among his best friends.

by Anonymousreply 110February 27, 2021 7:38 AM

R82. I agree. I love her in Little Girl and SOTL. Those films and her performance have left indelible marks on me. I will always watch these films whenever I can - of course I bought them many, many years ago.

by Anonymousreply 111February 27, 2021 8:59 AM

I think every actor would want to get an award nomination for their film. It draws attention to the film and sells tickets. It’s called promotion and there’s nothing wrong with that.

by Anonymousreply 112February 28, 2021 6:41 PM

That Hinckley thing is more than enough to permanently damage a person and anyone who suggests otherwise is fucking crazy.

She wrote an essay about it for Esquire years ago (it's dramatic but she was 20 when she wrote it).... I can see why this + the child actor shit would permanently fuck someone up. It's actually amazing she came out intact.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113March 1, 2021 2:40 PM

Absolutely nobody dislikes Jodie Foster. Not one peer says one thing about her. Everyone respects her. She's been working since she was 4. Who doesn't respect that?

by Anonymousreply 114June 4, 2022 5:37 AM

Recently re-watched Contact. I don't think that movie would have worked with anyone else.

She purdy. She also, wisely, stays out of politics.

She is a smart cookie and I've had a crush on her since I was about 12.

I heart her. Keep doing what you do, Jodie.

by Anonymousreply 115June 4, 2022 5:42 AM

"Hinckley has recovered his sanity such that he does not present a danger to himself or others because of mental illness if unconditionally released on June 15, 2022."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116June 4, 2022 5:43 AM

I hope she isn't suffering with this murderers release. I've always been drawn to her. She's so loved there was a punk rock band called JFA - Jodie Foster's Army after the assassination attempt of Reagan

by Anonymousreply 117June 4, 2022 6:05 AM

She's whip smart and a hard worker. Everybody respects that.

by Anonymousreply 118June 4, 2022 11:16 PM

Love her.

Also seems like a good mother - both boys went to Ivy League schools and she never once whored them out as accessories to the media.

by Anonymousreply 119June 4, 2022 11:50 PM

Fuck you, r119.

by Anonymousreply 120February 26, 2024 5:18 PM

The uglier child Charlie has followed her into showbiz.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121February 26, 2024 5:43 PM

Oops, try this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122February 26, 2024 5:50 PM

I think she usually looks like Skeletor, but if you think she looks amazing, okay, she has more than enough money to look amazing at 58.

by Anonymousreply 123February 26, 2024 6:15 PM

This thread didn’t age well…

She’s 61 at this point And a crinkly 61 at that.

by Anonymousreply 124February 26, 2024 6:24 PM

She looks happy, healthy, relaxed, comfortable in her skin and as if she looks after herself. That's about the best anyone can hope for at 61.

by Anonymousreply 125February 26, 2024 6:26 PM

R122 what’s in the tap water of Yale’s colleges?

So much delusion in such a small area —are they all drugged into thinking they are “unique?” Hearing folks tell you that you are special does not make it so.

by Anonymousreply 126February 26, 2024 6:27 PM

I admired her up until she promoted Alok. That admiration has since diminshed. If she keeps it up, there won't be any left.

by Anonymousreply 127February 26, 2024 6:28 PM

I saw her attempt at fucking in her Max series True Detective. It looked awful.

by Anonymousreply 128February 26, 2024 6:34 PM

R125 We can hope for her money.

by Anonymousreply 129February 26, 2024 6:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!