Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Alfie (1966)

The movie AND the song! I just watched the ending on the Greatest Endings Thread. Very much a movie of it's time. I loved the song, but more so the popular, lushly produced Dionne Warwick version. Cher sung it in the movie. Do you think Cher was pissed?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42May 23, 2021 12:40 PM

Dionne's version

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 25, 2021 7:49 AM

I LOVE Cher's version in the film.

When she goes into the line "and if only fools are kind, Alfie' with the orchestration kicking in - it's HEAVEN!

by Anonymousreply 2February 25, 2021 7:57 AM

According to IMDB trivia, the movie had only instrumental soundtrack when first released. The song was added later. Cher's version in the American release, and Cilla Black in the UK. It was originally supposed to be Dionne's version, but for whatever reason, they went with Cher.

Here's the Burt Bacharach tribute on the 72nd Oscars. At the 9:50 mark, Dionne comes on to sing Alfie, and Cher is in the audience.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 25, 2021 9:06 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 4February 25, 2021 8:55 PM

I think the Jude Law remake has been completely forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 5February 26, 2021 7:29 PM

There's a funny bit in Bacharach's memoir when he phones Dionne for the first time in years after their falling out and legal battles. He said, "It's Burt" and Dionne replied, "Burt who?"

by Anonymousreply 6February 26, 2021 7:35 PM

Perhaps DIonne thought it was Burt Reynolds.

by Anonymousreply 7February 27, 2021 8:22 AM

I ADORE Cher's original rendition of Alfie. What I love most about it is Sonny Bono's arrangement. He always did these dramatic, drum & percussion-heavy arrangements on Cher with brilliant results. As an arranger Sonny's work is excellent and ridiculously underrated!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 27, 2021 7:10 PM

Oh wow didn't realize how bad Cher's dentition was. I wonder what she did to fix it: braces or did she have her front teeth removed.

by Anonymousreply 9February 27, 2021 7:33 PM

Probably had the teeth shaved down and capped.

by Anonymousreply 10February 27, 2021 7:35 PM

I love this film and song. I am 43 and had not seen the film until 2019- I thought it was oddly moving and very contemporary.

I thought Michael Caine was outstanding.

by Anonymousreply 11February 27, 2021 7:35 PM

From what I recall reading, a dozen different versions by different singers and a whole year & a half went by before Dionne Warwick even considered recording 'Alfie'. In fact, one of the artists who recorded 'Alfie' before Dionne in 1967 was her own sister, Dee Dee Warwick (see clip).

In the liner notes of the "Best Of" compilation shown in the clip, Dee Dee expressed bitterness that her version of 'Alfie' went nowhere. She also was pissed that Dionne never mentioned that her sister was the one who had provided her with an excellent demo that finally made her want to sing the song herself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 27, 2021 7:38 PM

Shirley Cain has the best version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13February 27, 2021 7:41 PM

This is an ugly movie about a man with an ugly character. (He calls women 'birds' and refers to them as 'it' rather than 'she'.)

He's portrayed by a man with a fake name and a particularly ugly, slovenly voice. And thankfully he never displays his slovenly body.

The song is full of halting confusion because it's written from the viewpoint of the women who are inseminated and trashed by the ugly Alfie.

by Anonymousreply 14February 27, 2021 8:07 PM

"What's that in your mouth? Alfie"

by Anonymousreply 15February 27, 2021 8:09 PM

Cher is better than I expected but lacks Warwick's depth and complexity.

by Anonymousreply 16February 27, 2021 8:23 PM

The Sweet Inspirations was an offshoot of Dionne Warwick's family Gospel vocal group, The Drinkard Singers. Eventually the group moved away from Gospel music and became one of the top NYC session groups of the 60s and 70s. Early members included both Dionne & Dee Warwick, Judy Clay (former duet partner of Billy Vera) & Doris Troy (of 'Just One Look' fame). The most solid lineup (and the one that backed up Elvis in concert & Aretha Franklin on most of her classic hits) consisted of Cissy Houston (Dionne's aunt & Whitney Houston's mother), Myrna Smith (a cousin), Sylvia Shemwell (sister of Judy Clay) and Estelle Brown (the only member still living).

Some years back, Myrna Smith & Estelle Brown were featured in some sort of documentary film. Not only did the girls dish on Aretha Franklin & Elvis Presley, but also former bandmate Cissy Houston. Myrna & Estelle stated that Cissy considered herself the true singing star of her family and was jealous of her niece Dionne Warwick's success. She just couldn't understand why Burt Bacharach overlooked her vocal talents but thought that Dionne was special. When the opportunity presented itself in 1969 for The Sweet Inspirations (now hit R&B recording stars in their own right) to record their own version of 'Alfie', Cissy Houston saw it as her chance to FINALLY showcase her singing & arranging talents for both Burt Bacharach & Hal David. LOL.

After re-arranging & recording the song in a Soul/Gospel vein, Cissy (bursting with pride) shoved the other girls into a cab and rushed over to Burt Bacharach's offices with the final results. Myrna Smith & Estelle Brown recalled with much amusement & horror that when they played the record for Burt he listened. When the song was done he walked over to the turntable, removed the record, handed it back to Cissy Houston and walked out of the room without saying a thing. LMAO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17February 27, 2021 8:57 PM

R14 Yet there are people like Alfie and don't forget Shelley Winters as Ruby and Siddie who has no illusions about her relationship with Alfie. The female characters in Alfie are quite varied and individual And is Alfie really happy, satisfied or fullfilled at film's end? Literature, drama and film often deal with immoral, imperfect and unlikable characters. How do you feel about Goodfellas, A Clockwork Orange, The Silence of the Lambs, Scarface, The Grifters, Pulp Fiction and The Godfather?

by Anonymousreply 18February 27, 2021 8:59 PM

Here's Myrna Smith & Estelle Brown of The Sweet Inspirations sharing the story told at R17.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19February 27, 2021 9:12 PM

I am with R18 on this one.

Its extremely realistic to me- good or bad...

Alfie slowly becomes aware of his folly. But is too much of an asshole to express it.

The abortion related scene is extremely compelling to me- he really has feelings but suppresses any of his own innate kindness or compassion.

I really find this film to have a real sense of truth to it. Its pretty dark and cold- and really illustrates the complexities and cruelty of men.

by Anonymousreply 20February 27, 2021 9:26 PM

[quote] How do you feel about Goodfellas, A Clockwork Orange, The Silence of the Lambs, Scarface, The Grifters, Pulp Fiction and The Godfather?

I abhor them.

I saw 'Orange' at the cinema (and would be interested in re-watching it).

I've seen half of 'Silence' and I enjoy Hopkins. And I've watched bits of two others. But why should I invest my time and money to help glamorise grifters and gangsters?

by Anonymousreply 21February 27, 2021 9:36 PM

R21 Besides Mary Poppins, what films do you like?

by Anonymousreply 22February 27, 2021 10:13 PM

The first time I heard it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 27, 2021 10:40 PM

And you're proud of that, R23?

by Anonymousreply 24February 27, 2021 10:48 PM

Love the movie, hate the song!

The song is a syrupy mess and nobody would remember it, if it weren't attached to a damn good movie. One of the most damning dissections of heterosexuality ever made, all young heterosexuals should be required to watch it in same-sex groups and then discuss it afterwards. Sure, most of them would enjoy the movie while it runs as Caine really does make it all fun, and BTW that's what the very best actors do - make something moving or fun when it might have been dreary, and this movie could have been VERY dreary with another lead.

by Anonymousreply 25February 27, 2021 11:39 PM

I read a YouTube comment that claimed Millicent Martin was the first to sing "Alfie" over the end credits in the UK. Can anyone confirm?

by Anonymousreply 26February 28, 2021 6:14 PM

I like Chaka's jazzy version

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27March 1, 2021 8:53 PM

[quote]This is an ugly movie about a man with an ugly character. (He calls women 'birds'

That's a commonly-used term in England.

by Anonymousreply 28March 1, 2021 9:01 PM

I didn't know Jane Asher was in 'Alfie' or I would have watched it before 2020.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29March 1, 2021 9:04 PM

My favorite Alfie story is Barbra Streisand's:

"One time, I was in a cab and the song Alfie came on the radio. It was really lovely. So later I called the station and asked, 'Who was that girl singing Alfie?' And they told me it was me."

by Anonymousreply 30March 1, 2021 9:17 PM

R30, Streisand, really was/is an insufferable piece of work.......

by Anonymousreply 31March 2, 2021 12:13 AM

Jllkk

by Anonymousreply 32March 2, 2021 12:22 AM

I've known guys who were the gay version of Alfie

by Anonymousreply 33March 2, 2021 12:24 AM

No one sings Alife like Dionne Warwick. She has the best version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34March 2, 2021 12:43 AM

LOL @ R17.

by Anonymousreply 35March 2, 2021 5:53 PM

I like Dee Dee.

by Anonymousreply 36May 20, 2021 6:29 PM

The Cher version is terrible--her phrasing is just awful and she sounds pretty off key through the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 37May 20, 2021 7:03 PM

Cilla Black's performance is the best. And it always will be.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 20, 2021 7:25 PM

Dionne Warwick's version elevates the theme to something almost universal, while Cilla Black's version feels more intimate and personal.

by Anonymousreply 39May 20, 2021 9:26 PM

Yeah, I came here to post the Cilla Black version... and in this great version of her live in the studio.

So since you posted it, here she is with "your my world"... justified on this thread because no one is closer to the 60s innocent sex and heartache of the singing London than Cilla Black.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40May 20, 2021 9:41 PM

^ You're and swingin'

by Anonymousreply 41May 20, 2021 9:42 PM

Barbra recorded it when she was at the very height of her vocal powers. It shows off her unique ability to shape a musical line and she shows off the unique musical lines that run through the song.

It's not my favorite recording of the song, but Babs' technical achievement is astonishing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42May 23, 2021 12:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!