Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Clifton Webb

I'd have punched him in the face too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 5, 2022 5:24 PM

I thought he was a complete beast in Laura.

by Anonymousreply 1February 23, 2021 7:57 PM

Sexless and unappealing.

Herbert Marshall may have been sexless but he was pleasantly appealing.

by Anonymousreply 2February 23, 2021 7:59 PM

A good boy devoted to his mother her whole life

by Anonymousreply 3February 23, 2021 7:59 PM

A very unlikely and improbable movie star but that's what he was, for a good ten years.

by Anonymousreply 4February 23, 2021 8:02 PM

Here is a very good portrait of Webb as a young man by George Bellows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 23, 2021 8:04 PM

Looks okay for a 71-year-old orphan.

by Anonymousreply 6February 23, 2021 11:43 PM

Gore Vidal always hinted at SOMETHING about Clifton....I suspect it may have had something to do with PROCURING....well, arranging "dates"....

by Anonymousreply 7February 23, 2021 11:47 PM

[quote] Gore Vidal

An utterly unreliable source of factual information.

by Anonymousreply 8February 24, 2021 12:02 AM

Is this the guy who sang Puttin on the Ritz?

by Anonymousreply 9February 24, 2021 12:04 AM

Great as Mr. Belvedere and in Cheaper by the Dozen.

Best friend of theater actress Jeanne Eagels. Befriended Marilyn Monroe around 1948. At a 1954 party, compared Monroe's talent on par with that of Eagels. Ironically, Marilyn was to play Sadie Thompson, Eagels most famous role for NBC.

Webb is buried with mom at Hollywood Forever Cemetery. For many years, the front of Clifton's crypt was loose. If you gently pushed on the top, it would wobble and make a booming noise in the marble hallway. On a midnight tour of the cemetery with the owner, a group of use went and "tipped Clifton" and proceeded to scare the crap out of everyone.

by Anonymousreply 10February 24, 2021 12:10 AM

I can’t find it, but there is that painting of a young Robert Mitchum, stripped to the waist with a towel around his neck. The towel bears the initials “CW.”

by Anonymousreply 11February 24, 2021 12:17 AM

It could have stood for Charlie Weaver, r11.

by Anonymousreply 12February 24, 2021 12:20 AM

Who's had him?

by Anonymousreply 13February 24, 2021 12:21 AM

Didn't RJ Wagner put out for him?

by Anonymousreply 14February 24, 2021 12:24 AM

[quote]The towel bears the initials “CW.”

Chill Wills

by Anonymousreply 15February 24, 2021 12:35 AM

He was the best thing about "Laura" and stole the whole movie.

by Anonymousreply 16February 24, 2021 12:38 AM

Maybe CW means Cornell Woolrich? He was also a mama’s boy.

by Anonymousreply 17February 24, 2021 2:05 AM

Or maybe it stands for The CW. Does Greg Berlanti’s influence know no bounds?

by Anonymousreply 18February 24, 2021 2:09 AM

He introduced the song Easter Parade in As Thousands Cheer. Was first choice to co star in The Band Wagon with Fred Astaire. As good as Jack Buchanan was Webb would have been great. He was a musical star on Broadway at the same time as Astaire and the two of them together on screen was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Instead he starred alone in 20th Century Fox musical schlock.

by Anonymousreply 19February 24, 2021 2:32 AM

R19, I loved Jack Buchanan in that role, but I see how Webb would've an interesting pairing with Astaire. Other than doing his own musicals, why did he not do The Band Wagon?

by Anonymousreply 20February 24, 2021 4:20 AM

I believe Star and Stripes Forever had just been done and he got his name alone above the rest of the cast and wanted all the attention on himself. I imagine to being compared to Astaire was not something he wanted to deal with. They had similar builds as Buchanan was a very different type from Astaire. Nobody compares the two in the film they are both appreciated on their own. Also Webb was riding the crest of a late career renaissance and was a bonafide star. Taking second billing I assume was not something he wanted to do. Also when they were stars on Broadway were they friendly, cordial or competitive?

by Anonymousreply 21February 24, 2021 8:15 AM

[quote] In 1928, William Frawley was fired from the Broadway show That's My Baby for punching actor Clifton Webb in the nose.

It was the only thing I liked about him.

by Anonymousreply 22February 24, 2021 2:38 PM

[quote]I'd have punched him in the face too.

Why, OP/R22?

Since you bumped your thread with another remark on the punch, it's evidently something to which you wish to draw attention. I'll oblige.

Do you have difficulty distinguishing actors from the roles they play? Or are you triggered by effeminate men? Why do you feel Webb deserved to be punched?

by Anonymousreply 23February 24, 2021 5:40 PM

^^^this is a good question. Would OP punch David Niven or Eric Blore?

by Anonymousreply 24February 24, 2021 10:58 PM

There is a very ugly story about Clifton Webb and Ethel Waters when they starred together on Broadway in As Thousands Cheer(where she introduced Suppertime and Heat Wave.) Irving Berlin was so furious he interceded. But this is a thread to speak of Webb's considerable talents and not his considerable flaws.

by Anonymousreply 25February 24, 2021 11:26 PM

Please don't tell me, R25, that he was a racist towards her.

by Anonymousreply 26February 25, 2021 12:41 AM

r14 Who DIDN'T he put out for???

by Anonymousreply 27February 25, 2021 7:30 AM

[quote] There is a very ugly story about Clifton Webb and Ethel Waters when they starred together on Broadway in As Thousands Cheer

According to Donald Bogle's bio of Waters, HEAT WAVE, the two white stars of the show (Webb and Marilyn Miller) had no social interaction with Waters offstage. At some point Webb took to greeting Ethel by saying, "Hi, Topsy." Waters, who didn't take shit from anyone, responded by greeting Webb with, "Hi, Pansy," at which point Webb stopped his racist greeting.

by Anonymousreply 28February 25, 2021 2:30 PM

Good for her!

by Anonymousreply 29February 25, 2021 2:43 PM

I bet the CW on Mitchum's towel was for "Clint Walker". I'd like to have seen that pairing!

by Anonymousreply 30February 25, 2021 2:50 PM

I loved his interaction with Barbara Stanwyck in their version of [italic]Titanic[/italic], but at the same time it was difficult to believe that they could be a married couple.

by Anonymousreply 31February 25, 2021 3:45 PM

His Beverly Hills home, which is he alleged to haunt, is for sale.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32February 25, 2021 4:06 PM

Actor Robert Wagner, who co-starred with Webb in the films Stars and Stripes Forever and Titanic and considered the actor one of his mentors, stated in his memoirs, Pieces of My Heart: A Life, that "Clifton Webb was gay, of course, but he never made a pass at me, not that he would have"...

by Anonymousreply 33January 5, 2022 4:10 AM

Webb's closest friend was Broadway actress Jeanne Eagels.

by Anonymousreply 34January 5, 2022 11:29 AM

Holiday For Lovers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 5, 2022 3:45 PM

[quote]He was the best thing about "Laura" and stole the whole movie.

Yeahhhh.

by Anonymousreply 36January 5, 2022 3:51 PM

Fag!

by Anonymousreply 37January 5, 2022 3:52 PM

And for a long time after that, [R3]. Accd'g to Noel Coward's diaries, our Clifton went quite round the bend after she passed.

by Anonymousreply 38January 5, 2022 5:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!