Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Malia Obama gets a job in Hollywood thanks to daddy

Nepotism at its finest. I know folks who have worked for YEARS as writer's assistants or PA's and they are still waiting for their "Big Break." Guess when you're the president's kid, you get the breaks.

FEBRUARY 18, 2021 NEW YORK NY MARCH 29 Malia Ann Obama is seen in Tribeca on March 29 2017 in New York City. ALO CEBALLOS/GETTY IMAGES It was only a matter of time before Malia Obama, first daughter of film studies, landed a plum Hollywood gig. After years interning for the Weinstein Company (ugh) and working as a production assistant on the set of Girls, the 22-year-old Harvard grad is fully making the transition to prestige TV, with a little help from Donald Glover. The Atlanta creator has reportedly tapped Malia Obama to write for his upcoming series Hive, created by Janine Nabers, per The Hollywood Reporter.

The show, which Donald Glover will executive produce, will reportedly revolve around a powerful Beyoncé-esque figure. Malia knows a thing or two about powerful figures, right? It’s an interesting next step for the Hollywood aspirant, who famously spent her gap year learning firsthand about the industry.

Malia’s reported leap into the writers room also arrives a few years after her parents struck a production deal with Netflix. They’ve since gone on to produce several documentaries, including the Oscar-winner American Factory and Becoming, a behind-the-scenes glimpse at Michelle’s high-profile book tour; Malia herself made a memorable, teary cameo in the film. Michelle also recently announced her next Netflix project, a kids cooking show called Waffles and Mochi that looks promisingly kooky.

As The Hollywood Reporter states, Hive is one of the first projects Donald has set as part of his new overall deal with Amazon. The Emmy winner left FX for the streamer. He’s following in the footsteps of his pal Phoebe Waller-Bridge, who signed a $20 million deal with the streamer in 2019, after winning a billion Emmys for the second season of Fleabag. Donald and Phoebe are now using their megadeals to team up, recently announcing that they would be writing, producing, and starring in a series adaptation of Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

by Anonymousreply 39February 23, 2021 10:04 PM

Its a very good time to be black in hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 1February 23, 2021 7:29 PM

Yes, because rich black girls are so well-represented in Hollywood. Ivanka has worked for her dad her entire working career, so how is this any worse?

by Anonymousreply 2February 23, 2021 7:31 PM

This is true privilege.

While I like Barack, I have never been much of a fan of Michelle's. I'm afraid I know too much about her history in Chicago from people I trust. I always knew she was more interested in living large and that she was more interested in the glitz of Hollywood and the entertainment industry albeit disguised as doing good via documentaries, etc. None of their post White House moves have surprised me. So I just see this as more of a Michelle influence on or encouragement of her daughter. I doubt her daddy encouraged this. I am surprised that there has been little if any clap back about her working for Weinstein or maybe I'm not surprised after all.

by Anonymousreply 3February 23, 2021 7:46 PM

Real question: what’s Malia’s major? Can’t find it on Google

by Anonymousreply 4February 23, 2021 7:54 PM

OP, did you bitch as loudly when Trump gave is idiotic, completely unexperienced daughter and his equally idiotic, unexperienced son-in-law cabinet level, policy making positions in his "administration?" Those positions involved national security, BTW.

"Guess when you're the president's kid, you get the breaks."

by Anonymousreply 5February 23, 2021 7:56 PM

Meghan McCain interned with SNL and is a highly paid political analyst for ABC News with a BA in art history.

Jenna Bush went pretty much straight from the White House to NBC News. NBC pays her $4 million per year to read news from a TelePrompTer.

NBC News hired Chelsea Clinton for $600,000 a year to be a "special correspondent."

This is not new.

It's practically American tradition. For God's sake, MSNBC has employed Republican Margaret Hoover as a pundit. She's the great-granddaughter of Herbert Hoover and inherited her probably-lucrative current positions on the Hoover is on the Board of Overseers at Stanford University's Hoover Institution, and on the boards of the Herbert Hoover Presidential Library Association.

People who become president make countless hundreds of millions after office and their progeny basically become the US version of lords and ladies, simply granted high-paying, high-profile positions because they exist.

by Anonymousreply 6February 23, 2021 7:56 PM

[quote] I'm afraid I know too much about her history in Chicago from people I trust.

We're intrigued, R3.

by Anonymousreply 7February 23, 2021 7:57 PM

It's not the Obamas' fault that your friends are losers, OP.

by Anonymousreply 8February 23, 2021 7:59 PM

Well no shit. Of course people who have connections get gigs in the entertainment industry. Were you born yesterday OP? It's how the business works.

by Anonymousreply 9February 23, 2021 7:59 PM

r4 she went to Harvard. And 80% of Hollywood jobs are who you know. Her name is going to get her in the door no matter what she decided to do. It’s up to her if she makes it or not. Give her a break. They seem like decent kids. Not Kennedys.

by Anonymousreply 10February 23, 2021 8:03 PM

The Obamas can do anything the like. More power to them all. Decent people may err but they won't ever do what the Trumps do every day of the year.

by Anonymousreply 11February 23, 2021 8:07 PM

At least she's not hoovering up kilos of coke, shooting endangered animals, stealing from charities, and trying to overthrow the government.

by Anonymousreply 12February 23, 2021 8:07 PM

I want Malia to clean up Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 13February 23, 2021 8:10 PM

OP has no problem with the Trump children, the Bush children, the Clinton child, the McCain children... hell, as R6 points out, we can go back nearly a hundred years of children of Presidents getting cushy, high-paying gigs, and not a peep.... but Malia Obama gets a boost and it's just NEPOTISM, NEPOTISM, NEPOTISM!

Gee, what's the difference between every prior presidents' children and the Obamas? I can't quite put a finger on it, but there is something that sets them apart. If only I could see it!

by Anonymousreply 14February 23, 2021 8:12 PM

So Michelle Obama likes Hollywood and glitz and glamour? SHOCKING! Did she run for office? No, she did not. Instead she parked her career and supported her husband’s career and did a great job as FLOTUS unlike the Slovenian whore.

Is this all the juicy gossip people have on Michelle?

by Anonymousreply 15February 23, 2021 8:18 PM

This just in: Liza Minnelli got a gig because of who her parents are. Talentless hack.

by Anonymousreply 16February 23, 2021 8:19 PM

OP probably thinks the Slovenian Whore fingering her pussy is the epitome of FLOTUS class

by Anonymousreply 17February 23, 2021 8:21 PM

I love how everyone assumes I'm ok with the Trump kids getting gigs because of Daddy. Of course it's not ok. Not ok with them, so why is this ok? I don't get the double standard here.

by Anonymousreply 18February 23, 2021 8:22 PM

Probably because you like a MAGAtard, R18

by Anonymousreply 19February 23, 2021 8:23 PM

Then you’re an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 20February 23, 2021 8:23 PM

OP, i don’t see you starting a thread on Kaia Gerber. Doesn’t her success upset you? As in, really, really upset you?

by Anonymousreply 21February 23, 2021 8:24 PM

No, I HATE Trump and I loved the Obamas. Still do, but this shit is wrong no matter who you are. But yeah, can't criticize a liberal around here or you're a racist. I have no idea who Kaia Gerber is, r21.

by Anonymousreply 22February 23, 2021 8:24 PM

The Carters were the last decent First Family. Aside from one of the kids (who briefly ran an unsuccessful Senate campaign), they all went on to live completely average lives after leaving the White House. Everyone that came after them treated the presidency (or proximity to it) like a springboard to line their pockets.

by Anonymousreply 23February 23, 2021 8:29 PM

HALLOOOOO from 1825!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24February 23, 2021 8:56 PM

Nepotism! Well, I never!

Ronna Romney McDaniel, the chairwoman of the Republican National Committee, went after Hunter Biden on Tuesday.

McDaniel is the niece of Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah). Her grandfather was governor of Michigan, and both her grandmother and mother ran for Senate. Her father ran for attorney general of Michigan.

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), who is the son of Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) and garnered much of his early political experience working on his dad’s campaigns, also felt like it would be “fair” to investigate Hunter Biden if Democrats wanted to go after Rudy Giuliani, Trump’s personal lawyer who was running a shadow foreign policy operation to personally benefit the president.

On “The View” Tuesday, Meghan McCain and Abby Huntsman did not feign indignation over Hunter Biden like McDaniel and Paul, but they did debate whether his interview on ABC helped his father’s presidential campaign.

McCain is the daughter of the late Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) and Huntsman is the daughter of Jon Huntsman (R), the former governor of Utah.

Fox News had Peter Doocy report on Hunter Biden Wednesday morning. Doocy is the son of “Fox and Friends” host Steve Doocy. The young Doocy, not coincidentally, was immediately hired by the net

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25February 23, 2021 8:59 PM

My dad's helicopter was shot down by missiles and then I got a hit movie with my dazzling beauty and chameleonlike acting talent!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 23, 2021 9:01 PM

I did it ALL on my own!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27February 23, 2021 9:03 PM

My dad could buy the Moon but you'd never recognize him as my dad!

Ignore that my mom was an actress, too. I did it all on my own!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28February 23, 2021 9:04 PM

So our parents write and direct in Hollywood. Sis and I made it on SHEER TALENT!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29February 23, 2021 9:06 PM

Oh look, a fun thread for the Borises to congregate in, post bullshit, and WW one another. Please stay in here--there's so much more to say about a someone getting a job and you shouldn't waste time on any other threads.

by Anonymousreply 30February 23, 2021 9:06 PM

She knew like I did.

by Anonymousreply 31February 23, 2021 9:12 PM

So Malia was a Weinstein girl too?

by Anonymousreply 32February 23, 2021 9:16 PM

It’s mainly because there are fewer witty posters on DL than there used to be, R18. By that I mean those with sharp perception, rather than the slow thinkers, cruelty-for-cruelty’s sake bullies, trolls masquerading as Democrats/Republicans and other lesser beings who tend to dominate this board these days.

by Anonymousreply 33February 23, 2021 9:33 PM

I like reefer!!!!

by Anonymousreply 34February 23, 2021 9:36 PM

[quote]Yes, because rich black girls are so well-represented in Hollywood. Ivanka has worked for her dad her entire working career, so how is this any worse?

Because R2, Malia didn't have to put out for her daddy like Ivanka.

by Anonymousreply 35February 23, 2021 9:37 PM

I don't fucking care and neither do you.

by Anonymousreply 36February 23, 2021 9:44 PM

[quote]I'm afraid I know too much about her history in Chicago from people I trust.

BUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLSHIT. You don't know anyone who knows Michelle Obama. You don't know anyone from Chicago. You're completely full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 37February 23, 2021 9:52 PM

Miss R33 really does think her shit don't stank.

by Anonymousreply 38February 23, 2021 9:55 PM

R33 is definitely not one of the wittier posters on DL.

by Anonymousreply 39February 23, 2021 10:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!