Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Any Vegans Here?

I’m on the diet from “Eat to Live” by Joel Fuhrman. I must say it works. I’ve lost 15+ pounds in 3 weeks. It is also [italic]dreadfully boring [/italic] to be living on essentially salads, fruits, nuts and seeds. And the rare piece of whole wheat pita bread.

On the other hand I feel much more alert and I’m sleeping better. I think after week 4 or 5 the food items broaden.

Don’t cry for me - I did this to myself! But has anyone found pleasure in eating this way for a long time? Because that would be nice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131March 3, 2021 8:10 PM

PS: I eat lots and lots of unsalted vegetable soups, too.

by Anonymousreply 1February 23, 2021 7:12 PM

I tried eating vagen and I couldn’t make it two days.

by Anonymousreply 2February 23, 2021 7:12 PM

I'm not quite vegan, but eat vegan quite a bit. You can make heaps of curries and stews and things like that that are really delicious. I wouldn't be able to survive on just salads, nuts and fruit either, though I eat that too. That diet sounds more restrictive than what most vegans I know eat.

by Anonymousreply 3February 23, 2021 7:22 PM

I tried to be vegan, but I'm addicted to cheese. Also, half 'n' half in my coffee (can't find a good substitute yet).

Why is it rare to eat whole wheat pita bread, OP? If you like it, why not eat it more often?

If you're asking for advice, I would say to learn how to make good salad dressings and to put more substantial things into your salads. I eat salads a lot and I like them.

by Anonymousreply 4February 23, 2021 7:27 PM

I've been a vegan for 16 years. (I've been vegetarian for 26 years.) It didn't change my weight; only exercise did that. I feel exactly the same way I did when I ate meat. However, there are some health pros and cons. First the negative: Sometimes I test for low Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D. It's important to remember to take those supplements. There are probably other vitamin levels that are negatively impacted, too. Now for the good: my blood pressure went from prehypertension to normal. Also, my cholesterol is extremely low.

by Anonymousreply 5February 23, 2021 7:31 PM

I've been vegan for 15 years. Took a bit of careful eating at first, but now it's so easy, given that the world has become so vegan friendly. And there are so many great cookbooks that recipes are quick to find.

There are four pillars of veganism -- health, animal protection, the environment, and athletic performance. I believe in all four of them.

For information on the subject, for Health, try Dr. Michael Greger. For animals, read Gene Baur. For the environment, try the Eat for the Plant podcast. For athletic performance, watch The Game Changers.

by Anonymousreply 6February 23, 2021 8:19 PM

While I admire the ethical considerations of a vegan diet and those who can stick to their principles for the sake of the planet, the fact is—from an individual health perspective—the practise is not ideal holistically.

Vegans generally have awful skin & hair that is thin and washed out, and as they age past 40/50 (genetics dependent, of course) they often tend to wither and shrivel up (source: my vegan grandmother, who is well and spry but still looks like a reanimated corpse). From a vegan diet, it’s very hard to get all the collagen, minerals, vitamins and fats one needs to look youthful and healthy.

by Anonymousreply 7February 23, 2021 8:34 PM

I’ve been vegan for so many years, I don’t even remember. Went vegetarian when I was 12.

Fuhrman is ok, I have read his book and it’s basically just a common sense approach to eating a healthy vegan diet. I think sticking to Fuhrman would be harder for someone who is just switching to a vegan diet, because it’s very healthy.

I don’t follow any particular plan anymore, but I try to stay away from anything processed and stick to healthier options. The longer you eat a healthy diet, the more you will crave real food. But it’s ok to treat yourself once in a while, too.

by Anonymousreply 8February 23, 2021 8:35 PM

I was vegan for five years and it wrecked my physical and mental health. Of course you’ll find vegans here saying that I did it wrong and that it’s perfect for them but I’d just caution you to be very careful doing it long term. Do some research on ex vegans and why they quit and what health issues they accrued from the diet.

by Anonymousreply 9February 23, 2021 8:37 PM

R7, that’s utter BS. You don’t know how shriveled up your grandmother would be without her vegan diet. And yes, you can get all of your nutrients from a vegan diet, please just stop.

If you like meat and animal products, that’s ok. I’m not telling you to change a thing. But you don’t have to invent anti vegan talking points to justify your choices.

I’m in my 40ies, I’m not shriveled up, all my labs are on point, BP is around 110/65, my resting pulse is is at 52, and I’m muscular and athletic. Not bragging, but high cholesterol, high BP, and heart problems run in my family, and I don’t want that for myself.

by Anonymousreply 10February 23, 2021 8:40 PM

I was a vegetarian for one year, didn’t notice many physical changes. I didn’t lose any weight. I was vegan for only forty days and lost ten pounds. My exercise routine did not change with either practice. I did notice several physical improvements with Veganism and I slept so much better. I just couldn’t maintain the discipline. Dairy (cheese and half-n-half) was my downfall. I haven’t been much of a meat eater since childhood. Maybe I’ll try it again.

by Anonymousreply 11February 23, 2021 8:45 PM

Veganism is a starvation diet and either starts out as a mental illness or becomes one. Vegans will swear up and down that it’s the right way to live but at the same time are voluntarily giving themselves anemia, osteoporosis, depression, anxiety, ruined libidos etc.. Our brains are made of cholesterol and fat, you must consume animal fat to maintain and healthy brain and body.

by Anonymousreply 12February 23, 2021 8:49 PM

It’s really strange, but after I started having a fruit bowl for breakfast, I don’t need coffee anymore.

I switched to decaf with almond milk, and I think it’s helped my serenity.

by Anonymousreply 13February 23, 2021 8:51 PM

R12, can you cite some medical studies that support your statements?

by Anonymousreply 14February 23, 2021 8:52 PM

[quote]r13 Veganism is a starvation diet

It’s not when you can eat unlimited amounts of specific foods.

by Anonymousreply 15February 23, 2021 8:54 PM

Furhman recommends a lower fat vegan diet IIRC. My recommendation, OP, is try different types of vegan diets. In other words, don’t limit yourself to one diet guru. Expand into ethnic cuisines. I’ve been a vegetarian since 20, I have a family history of heart disease and stroke, my 49 year-old brother died from a stroke and he wasn’t careful about his diet.

I was strict vegan for about 8 years. Now I’m plant-based, eat bivalves like mussels, scallops, clams, and oysters. I’ll eat aged cheese as part of salad once or twice a month. But sometimes I go months without it. I don’t have a problem eating bivalves as they have no central nervous system. The reason why I was a vegetarian/ vegan in the first place is harm-reduction, both in terms of health and animal cruelty in livestock farming.

Venture out and experiment with new ingredients and cooking methods. I like Gaz’s approach, be creative. There are more non-animal foods than animal products out there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16February 23, 2021 9:05 PM

There are two things between me and a vegan diet, even though I recognize that veganism is the most ethical dietary option.

I enjoy a rich, varied and tasty vegetarian diet, cutting out meat leaves me with several million delicious meal options,and I'm taking full advantage. Fighting the pandemic is stressing the hell out of me, and one "healthy self-care coping mechanism" is to make myself meals that are delicious and nourishing. And vegan meals are so boring and limited!

The other is that a vegan diet is nutritionally inadequate, unless you devote a great deal of care to making sure you're getting adequate protein from the "incomplete proteins" in vegetable sources, and taking iron and B12 supplements.. I just don't have the tine or energy for that shit right now.

by Anonymousreply 17February 23, 2021 9:05 PM

This is the author Joel Fuhrman MD. I’m not really super invested in the health benefits, since everyone in my family, like it or not, lives to be 100 or something. I just got fat : (

I did button up a medium sized shirt this week though (I had teetered into Large) so that’s a blessing. PRAISE THE GODDESS!

I think I’ll eat like this for a year, then adjust the ingredients a bit. The biggest adjustment is spending a lot more time on planning, shopping and cooking. But that’s not the worst thing in the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18February 23, 2021 9:06 PM

[Quote] But has anyone found pleasure in eating this way for a long time? Because that would be nice.

I had a colleague and friend who lived liked this, and the only reason he managed to do it was because he no interest whatsoever in food. For him, eating was like breathing - something he had to do to stay a live, but took no real pleasure or much notice of it. The idea of a preparing a 'nice' meal or eating something specific for the sheer pleasure of it was an alien concept to him.

by Anonymousreply 19February 23, 2021 9:06 PM

R15, it is when those “unlimited amounts of food” have no nutrients. That is what I meant.

The scientific evidence against a vegan diet is the known effects of multiple deficiencies, especially B12, which you cannot get from a vegan diet even with supplements. Most essential nutrients can only be absorbed through the source and not from a supplement. There’s also virtually no hard proof that supplements of any kind actually work. There’s also vitamin A and vitamin D deficiencies. Deficiencies in cholesterol, potassium, zinc, IRON especially.

Veganism is a killer, it will make you crazy but it seems like people are determined to learn it the hard way.

by Anonymousreply 20February 23, 2021 9:08 PM

R4, I accidentally discovered coconut cream in Whole Foods. It’s ridiculously creamy and only faintly coconutty. I’m eating keto, so I don’t care about how many grams of fat are in it. And it’s not expensive.

Anyway.

by Anonymousreply 21February 23, 2021 9:15 PM

Besides Gaz, I also like Hot For Food blog.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 23, 2021 9:19 PM

Then there’s Vegan Richa.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 23, 2021 9:20 PM

Small "v" vegetarian here who tries and sometimes include vegan foods. The range of vegan options has greatly increased and improved in the last 10-15 years. You can find vegan cookies and other treats that actually taste quite good (in the past, the cookies seemed like something you'd use to patch plaster and the cakey items were always too dense---not so much anymore). During colder weather months, it's a good time to experiment with soups, stews, and chilis---lots of really tasty options.

by Anonymousreply 24February 23, 2021 9:27 PM

Grown men can do whatever they want, but women & children/adolescents should not follow such a diet.

All three groups have different dietary needs, and vegan diets are not suitable for females or those still growing.

by Anonymousreply 25February 23, 2021 9:32 PM

R2 got confused and tried vagene.

by Anonymousreply 26February 23, 2021 9:38 PM

So much BS at R20 I don't even know where to start.

by Anonymousreply 27February 23, 2021 9:39 PM

R20, did you work in the Trump WH? Because you just can't get your facts straight.

1. "Cholesterol deficiencies" are not a thing. No, really!

2. "The prevalence of patients with vitamin D deficiency is highest in the elderly, obese patients, nursing home residents, and hospitalized patients. The prevalence of vitamin D deficiency was 35% higher in obese subjects irrespective of latitude and age." This is from a medical study on vitamin D deficiency. Many non vegan Americans are vitamin D deficient. You can simply take a supplement.

3. Potassium is obtained by eating: Fruits, such as apricots, bananas, kiwi, oranges, and pineapples, vegetables, such as leafy greens, carrots, potatoes, lean meats, whole grains, beans and nuts.

4. Iron: Since vegans consume non-heme iron, they have to increase the AMOUNT of iron containing foods to ensure that they are not deficient. Again, if you are eating a balanced diet, this is not an issue. Never had low iron in my entire life.

5: People at risk for zinc deficiency are mostly breastfeeding infants, older adults, and alcoholics. Vegan zinc sources are beans, chickpeas, lentils, tofu, walnuts, cashew nuts, chia seeds, ground linseed, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, wholemeal bread and quinoa.

In summary, your misinformation is tiresome. I can't tell you how many times I have had to listen to a fat and unhealthy person tell me all about the dangers of my diet, the nutrients that I am lacking, and that veganism will kill me. When you look at the science and the data behind the same lame arguments that people make against veganism, it is simply not true. Eat what you want, but stop spreading unsubstantiated bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 28February 23, 2021 9:44 PM

I forgot to add B12, which is probably the biggest pile of (non-vegan) shit in your post! Nutritional yeast or B12 supplements are a great way to get B12.

by Anonymousreply 29February 23, 2021 9:48 PM

R29, sure. As I said, these vegans will come up with all kinds of excuses but nothing vegan is the same as actual nutrition. Sorry that you feel it’s bullshit. I just know it was the worst thing that happened to me and there are many others who face a lot of health issues when going vegan. Also, you asked and I elaborated. No need to call names!

by Anonymousreply 30February 23, 2021 9:53 PM

R30, then cite your damn studies instead of pulling shit out of your ass and responding with "yeah, sure" because you have no valid arguments!

by Anonymousreply 31February 23, 2021 9:56 PM

[quote] Never had low iron in my entire life.

Yeah? Lucky you, it’s fucking shite. The supplements are horrible, and all.

There’s a reason I crave the fat, blood and flesh of meat every 28 days.

by Anonymousreply 32February 23, 2021 9:58 PM

Vegan? And what, give up these? Never!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33February 23, 2021 10:04 PM

This is the pyramid you eventually get to, it’s just the first 6 weeks or so that are super restrictive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34February 23, 2021 10:18 PM

Humans evolved as omnivores. This tells me me need some animal protein and fats for optimum health. Not slamming anyone who's been successful with it but I don't think it's as healthy as a balanced omnivorous diet.

by Anonymousreply 35February 23, 2021 10:32 PM

I could never go full on vegan. Sorry, but I'm not going out and buying tons of cashews and nutritional yeast to make some resemblance of "cheese". Cashews are pricey, as are all the many other ingredients that vegans use as substitutes for meat and dairy products.

Cauliflower "steaks" taste nothing like any sort of steak, and on that same note cauliflower "Buffalo Wings" taste nothing like Buffalo wings.

There are vegan products that I do like, such as unsweetened almond milk for my cereal, because it lasts longer in my fridge and doesn't spoil as fast.

by Anonymousreply 36February 23, 2021 10:38 PM

At some point, due to economics, people will be buying and eating more vegan food without even thinking about it. There's a trend towards it right now.

by Anonymousreply 37February 23, 2021 10:40 PM

I’m vegan. I eat a lot of vegetables and fruits and I’ve gotten to really like tofu (I didn’t used to). I also love tempeh.

by Anonymousreply 38February 23, 2021 11:19 PM

Any diet that requires taking a supplement to be complete is unnatural. Period.

by Anonymousreply 39February 23, 2021 11:22 PM

How much more anal could r28 be?

Yeah, I didn't read it all either.

by Anonymousreply 40February 23, 2021 11:28 PM

If you're a true vegan, you can't swallow cum.

by Anonymousreply 41February 24, 2021 12:36 AM

R41, you can if the other animal gives you permission.

by Anonymousreply 42February 24, 2021 12:51 AM

OP - You seem nice, so I have to tell you, or remind you if you already know - The process by which they decaffinate coffee is so gross. They soak the beans in paint thinner/nail polish remover stuff. Just drink something that never had caffeine in it at all. I mean, technically, the beans have very little residual chemical but...yuck.

by Anonymousreply 43February 24, 2021 1:35 AM

Thanks, R21, I've tried coconut milk in my coffee. I actually really like coconut milk, but not in my coffee. On top of that, the coffee seemed to really bring out the coconut taste. I started another thread about vegan alternatives to half 'n' half. Still searching ...

by Anonymousreply 44February 24, 2021 1:56 AM

What's true is you can find "expert" testimony on either the efficacy or the negative impact of veganism or vegetarianism, depending on what you want to believe. Anyone who claims some definitive statement is on shaky ground.

I am 70, and I have been vegetarian for over 50 years (with one short period 40 years ago when a boyfriend demanded I eat animals...). I have been vegan ten years.

Eating mindfully, with balance and careful variety, no matter what kind of "diet" you're on is smart. As a vegetarian I ate lots of cheese... and had heart issues. When I became vegan I lost weight. For the past several years I've tried to keep carbohydrates low... cereals, grains, bread... I think are even more destructive to the body than meat. Listen to you body... trust your instincts.... I think is the key. I am 70, slim and healthy, can carry a backpack in the mountains for 20-25 miles and enjoy it...

by Anonymousreply 45February 24, 2021 2:16 AM

I'm not vegan, but to the point up thread, I've been eating more vegan foods. I shop at Aldi, so I can try vegan stuff without shelling out $7 per unfamiliar item. I get their oat milk for $3 and it's better than California, Oatly, or Oat Yeah. I like their vegan chicken patties on a brioche bun with a little mayonnaise and pickles (not vegan, I know), or I chop it up and eat it on my salad. And as big of a deal as people like to make about soy estrogen, I'm pretty sure real chicken breast has more these days. A chicken breast shouldn't be bigger than an entire chicken was 20 years ago. This is replacing what would have been a smoked turkey sandwich or grilled chicken on a salad.

I try to eat beans or different kinds of dal several times a week now, too. I've started to feel bad eating chicken these days. It was once my go-to protein, but I feel like things are worse than ever for chickens and for the health of those who eat them. It doesn't feel like a good idea anymore.

by Anonymousreply 46February 24, 2021 2:22 AM

*Califa^

by Anonymousreply 47February 24, 2021 2:23 AM

Vegan since 1984. The vast array of vegan options today is glorious! And my choice to go vegan at 21 has paid off as I approach 60 and in great health. I never get sick. I run rings around the youngsters at work. A good mental attitude is also important. Fun fact: I never preach about being vegan. But I willingly share my political views!

by Anonymousreply 48February 24, 2021 2:28 AM

The sad fact is that if eating for pleasure is important to you, then you're better off as a vegetarian than a vegan.

The OP's diet is called "Eat To Live", after all, it's not meant to offer a lot in the way of taste and variety. Some vegans seem to like that in a way, it's a way for them to feel great about the sacrifices they're making, while a vegetarian diet isn't a sacrifice at all.

by Anonymousreply 49February 24, 2021 2:33 AM

Dr, Furhman ‘s diet is a challenge as he limits salt intake. However I do Whole Foods plant based no oil. Look great. In my 50s. Exercise w minimal recovery needed from the anti inflammatory diet.

Check out the Rich Roll podcast. A great blog for recipes is the vegan8.com. Her recipes are easy , oil free, and tasty.

by Anonymousreply 50February 24, 2021 3:12 AM

Yes OP, you CAN learn to enjoy eating this way. I've been vegan 10 years, and the last few years mostly whole foods with no oil, sugar and salt. To most people, some of my home cooked food would taste bland. It did to me years ago. It takes time to adjust but now I love my food! And I feel great.

One way to kick start cleansing your palate of the cravings for sugar, oil and salt is to do a 7-10 day water-only fast at a place like True North Health Center in California. You will love whole natural food immediately after that. Otherwise it could take a few months to wean off rich, salty or sweet tasting fatty foods.

It sounds like you're on your way, OP. Don't give up. It does get easier and easier.

Another book you might like is The Starch Solution by Dr. John McDougall. He's actually my favorite WFPB doc. His diet is big on potatoes, beans/legumes and whole grains.

by Anonymousreply 51February 24, 2021 3:22 AM

I’m vegan and in my 40s and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. Stick with it OP. I’ve been vegan 10 years. It gets much easier after the first 6 months. Non-vegans will always invade these threads and run their mouths about anemia and osteoporosis etc. I am healthy. I have a physical every year and my blood work is always good. I don’t have osteoporosis. I’m not anemic. My 75 year old mother is also vegan and she’s healthy.

Cutting out refined sugar was also a game changer for me.

Check out YouTube “vegan what I eat in a day” videos. I get ideas from those. It’s a lot of 20 year olds in Brooklyn but they cook great meals.

And the animals thank you :)

by Anonymousreply 52February 24, 2021 3:34 AM

R52 What supplements do you take?

by Anonymousreply 53February 24, 2021 3:46 AM

I’m very used to organic meat and dairy-eating (raised on a farm, rural culture), and I’d potentially end up eating a person if I had to stop and give up forever. Blessings be to all of you, I just don’t think I could do it.

by Anonymousreply 54February 24, 2021 10:54 AM

R44, I’m with you on the vegan half and half, and there really isn’t a good substitute out there. I’ve settled on oat milk, the very creamy kind, otherwise I take my coffee black.

by Anonymousreply 55February 24, 2021 11:13 AM

Can’t help but notice that the substitute mills are pumped full of toxic seed oils. Does that not bother anyone else?

Honestly, switching out or giving up cooking oils or oil-baked foods without doing anything else goes a long way, health-wise. A quality, light olive oil or coconut oil can change the game. Be sure to read the back of ingredients packets when it comes to convenience foods and snacks; like soy lecithin, sunflower/rapeseed etc. is often lurking.

by Anonymousreply 56February 24, 2021 11:22 AM

^^*subsitute MILKS

by Anonymousreply 57February 24, 2021 11:22 AM

Vegan in the morning and the afternoon. Then I eat some meat at night

by Anonymousreply 58February 24, 2021 11:24 AM

R56, I agree with you on added oils in general, but soy lecithin has been proven to lower cholesterol, which is why some people add it to their diets intentionally. Most regular coffee creamers, vegan or non-vegan, contain a lot of sugar and fat, and not much else.

by Anonymousreply 59February 24, 2021 11:25 AM

Switched to veganism two years ago, lost nearly fifty pounds. Won’t ever go back. I wish I had done it along time ago.

The thing I struggle with most is dairy and eggs R4. I’ve both read and heard that companies are very close to finding a substitute like Beyond and Impossible have for meat. The dairy replacers are trying to find the keys to unlocking casein and whey, the two elements that give cheese and milk it’s appeal, meltiness, and flavor. They are very very close, within the next couple of years they’ve said.

by Anonymousreply 60February 24, 2021 11:27 AM

I like man meat and not in a Armie Hammer way...

by Anonymousreply 61February 24, 2021 11:30 AM

Lol at vegans being unhealthy. Please. I’ve stopped having to take cholesterol meds. We are some of the healthiest people on the planets. Meat and dairy eaters are headed for early death.

And take a look at what killing and eating animals is doing to the planet and how the pandemic started. If you don’t think that the next pandemic that’s going to wipe out the human species will crossover from our endless animal consuming and murdering bloodlust, you’re a fool.

by Anonymousreply 62February 24, 2021 11:31 AM

Goat dairy is far better for you and usually more ethically farmed than cows’ dairy, fwiw. I have a few fingers of local goats’ milk daily, and I think it’s good for health. I don’t go ham with it, though.

by Anonymousreply 63February 24, 2021 11:37 AM

Costco started selling Chosen Foods brand avocado oil. It's really neutral tasting and has a higher smoke point than olive oil. I kind of miss the flavor of olive oil, but I would recommend this avocado oil.

by Anonymousreply 64February 24, 2021 4:09 PM

R64 Just out of curiosity, why are you opposed to olive oil? Plenty of studies have looked at the "Mediterranean Diet" as one supporting health and longevity - and have specifically pointed to the extensive use of oil?

I am vegan and I know that fats, the right kind of fats in the right amounts, are better for me than high sugar carbs.

by Anonymousreply 65February 24, 2021 4:15 PM

R65, I'm not opposed at all to olive oil. I just have a small household and tend to use one oil at a time (so it doesn't go bad). I may switch back to olive oil!

by Anonymousreply 66February 24, 2021 4:18 PM

Actually R65, olive oil, and all processed oils, are not good for you ever. Read books by Dr. Greger, Dr. Esselstyn, Dr. Barnard, or any other number of authorities on the subject. It takes about 20 olives just to make one tablespoon of olive oil. Do you really feel comfortable eating that much processed fat?

by Anonymousreply 67February 24, 2021 4:23 PM

R67 What bullshit.

Look at the Blue Zones, areas of the world with people who have the longest longevity. Olive oil is a big part of the diet.

Italians live on the stuff. Italy ranks 5th for longevity. The Greeks and Spaniards too.

by Anonymousreply 68February 24, 2021 4:33 PM

[quote]Meat and dairy eaters are headed for early death.

More crap. The Blue Zone of Sardinia, dairy is 25% of the diet.

by Anonymousreply 69February 24, 2021 4:36 PM

R67 Hence the benefit of Extra Virgin (minimal processing) organic virgin oil. The "all processed oils and all fats are bad" is a pretty antiquated position. The body really needs fats... good fats.

by Anonymousreply 70February 24, 2021 4:38 PM

This thread really reminds me of a fun movie called "Carnage:Swallowing the Past" (2017) . It is not available anywhere so you have to pirate it to watch it, but it is out there. Best to go in blind knowing nothing but that it is about vegans. It makes you feel better for being vegan.

by Anonymousreply 71February 24, 2021 11:20 PM

OP make sure you take B12. It’s necessary! I also take vitamin D and a multi vitamin!

by Anonymousreply 72February 25, 2021 2:39 AM

Veganism is a cult.

by Anonymousreply 73February 25, 2021 6:15 AM

I guess cum is not vegan?

by Anonymousreply 74February 25, 2021 7:01 AM

R73 go away the cult doesn’t want you

by Anonymousreply 75February 25, 2021 9:11 AM

Meat eating is a death cult.

by Anonymousreply 76February 25, 2021 11:53 AM

You don't need a vitamin D supplement if you get enough sun. Vitamin D doesn't come from food.

by Anonymousreply 77February 25, 2021 8:07 PM

Wouldn't a doctor maybe be better informed about whether being a vegan is right for you than DL? My doctor said that since I have a history of hemorrhagic stroke in my family it may not be a bad idea. I do eat limited amounts of meat and cheese but the problem in our society is that meat, dairy and flour are so convenient and readily available, I don't think I would personally have the self-discipline to be a vegan or vegetarian and always wonder how they do it.

by Anonymousreply 78February 25, 2021 8:50 PM

You're losing weight because you're not eating fast food.

by Anonymousreply 79February 25, 2021 9:00 PM

Doctors are not trained nutritionists. Doctors are surprisingly ignorant about issues related to diet and being vegan.

Try Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine if you're asking about veganism....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80February 25, 2021 9:00 PM

[quote] Meat eating is a death cult.

Tell that to Linda McCartney.

by Anonymousreply 81February 25, 2021 9:00 PM

Also r78 - you can do it. I didn't think I could either. I was like bitch please. I don't even cook. And now it's 10 years later and I've lost a lot of weight and it's totally manageable (still not a huge cook but some shit never changes). It's too bad DL doesn't have the ability to private message because in cases like this I would offer to act as moral support lol.

by Anonymousreply 82February 25, 2021 9:02 PM

R82 - thank you. You sound like an absolutely nice guy which, unfortunately, is rarer and rarer. I guess I will have to keep trying and maybe look into ways to do it.

by Anonymousreply 83February 25, 2021 9:04 PM

R69 hasn't a clue. Not a clue what he is talking about.

by Anonymousreply 84February 25, 2021 9:11 PM

R83, Seriously read The Starch Solution by Dr. John Mcdougall. He makes it very easy. Good luck!

I also never imagined myself vegan and yet here I am.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85February 25, 2021 9:13 PM

I'll keep checking this thread r82.

just start with small shit - like replace milk with non-dairy milk (i recommend almond milk if you drink skim and oat milk if you drink whole milk). replace yogurt with coconut milk yogurt.

leave cheese for last. that's the hardest to find a substitute for (but you can get there).

also casually start looking at labels on food you buy. i had never done that before and i was like no way in hell can i start reading labels at age 37, but if you start doing it with no pressure, it becomes more of a habit and then you can spot dairy in things. most common offenders are whey, milk powder and obviously eggs. i was the laziest bitch when it came to grocery shopping, but when you do it gradually, it just weirdly becomes a habit and then you stop thinking about it.

another thing i would do is watch factory farm footage if you get a craving. that's really harsh but it's so disgusting that if i looked at it for a few minutes, i would usually lose my appetite. go on youtube and search EARTHLINGS.

also if money isn't so much of an issue try BEYOND MEAT products. they taste like meat (i can't eat them - too meat like) and if you crave the taste - they are pretty spot on.

by Anonymousreply 86February 25, 2021 9:17 PM

The existence of Beyond Meat is proof humans need meat to survive and thrive.

by Anonymousreply 87February 25, 2021 9:20 PM

Beyond KFC

Beyond Dairy Queen

Beyond Jack-in-the-Box

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88February 25, 2021 9:21 PM

It's true that Beyond Meat is unhealthy. So is a lot of vegan cheeses and other processed vegan junk food. There are many "vegan for the animals" people who don't care much about their own health.

by Anonymousreply 89February 25, 2021 9:27 PM

Beyond Meat being unhealthy doesn't equate that animal meat *IS* healthy, though.

by Anonymousreply 90February 25, 2021 9:28 PM

After eating mainly whole natural foods for several years I crave faux meats and cheeses much less. Even bread and crackers and pastries hardly interest me anymore.

Those fake meats and cheeses are good to help non-vegans start the transition if they're used to eating those rich fatty animal products and can't imagine ever being satisfied enough by anything else.

by Anonymousreply 91February 25, 2021 9:32 PM

R88 No surprise there. The vegans I know depend so much on industrialized processed food items. Unhealthy.

I'm not vegan and would never think of buying stuff in packages prepared in a factory.

I do occasionally eat dried pasta. That's prepared in a factory. But even that is not really processed.

R90 Of course meat is healthy.

by Anonymousreply 92February 25, 2021 9:33 PM

Yeah, not everybody is seeking out faux meats. If you are seeking out "meatiness," some vegan foods are kind of meaty. IMO, mushrooms, eggplant, and falafel are "meaty."

by Anonymousreply 93February 25, 2021 9:36 PM

And let's remember: a Coke and fries is Vegan.

by Anonymousreply 94February 25, 2021 9:36 PM

Plant-based foods are for fatties.

by Anonymousreply 95February 25, 2021 9:39 PM

I am fascinated by gay vegans.

Do you give blowjobs, swallow cum and rim asses? Get the covid vaccine?

by Anonymousreply 96February 25, 2021 9:40 PM

If the world went vegan nobody would need the covid vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 97February 25, 2021 9:42 PM

My brother-in-law's mother was a vegetarian. She died at 63. She didn't even outlive my obese mother who is still alive.

by Anonymousreply 98February 25, 2021 9:42 PM

[quote] If the world went vegan nobody would need the covid vaccine.

That's because they'd all be dead before they could get it. You are just useful idiots of the sugar industry. And you are contributing to the virtual enslavement of brown people to grow this crap.

by Anonymousreply 99February 25, 2021 9:42 PM

You ray ray

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100February 25, 2021 9:50 PM

I try to eat vegan as much as possible but do get lazy sometimes. For me the main driver is animal welfare. Seeing trucks of cows or sheep go past off to slaughter or seeing videos of day old chickens getting shredded or pigs being flamed alive is what did it for me.

There’s a quote I often see: ‘if slaughterhouses had windows (and were on the high st/main st) everyone would be vegan’.

Obviously some people wouldn’t care as they see humans as superior so don’t give a shit but so many people are just ignorant to the suffering we inflict on animals for our food, or even just the fact that their steak or bacon was once a living animal with feelings. Obviously they KNOW it’s come from an animal but we’re so disconnected from it as we don’t have to see the animal before it’s killed or think about it.

That said, I feel way less guilt if I eat a steak from a five year old cow that was farmed on grass and killed on that farm. It’s the mass-farming that’s the biggest problem.

by Anonymousreply 101February 25, 2021 9:54 PM

exactly r91.

i realize all that shit is unhealthy but it's useful for when you are switching over to a plant based diet and still have cravings. it's overwhelming to just be expected to change everything you eat and that prevents a lot of people from adopting plant-based diets because they think it will never work (not saying that's anyone who has posted here, but that was how i felt). it's not realistic to think people can abruptly switch to whole foods and vegetables.

by Anonymousreply 102February 25, 2021 9:56 PM

I am convinced that when eating meat from a good butcher, the animal hasnt suffered that much. And dairy does not automatically equal dead animal, so go ahead and enjoy your creme fraiche!

by Anonymousreply 103February 25, 2021 10:09 PM

R103: You’re right that a good butcher is going to be more likely to have meat from better treated animals. Same with dairy not always meaning as much suffering as you see in some secretly-filmed farm videos.

There’s a huge difference between buying a Big Mac or a beefburger at a football game or concert vs buying a steak from a good butcher. If more people did less of the former and more of the latter when buying meat there wouldn’t be as much need/demand for those awful huge factory farms.

by Anonymousreply 104February 25, 2021 10:47 PM

Incidents like this too (and the live export trade in general) are another example of where our choices can make a difference without having to be as extreme as totally cutting out meat or animal products. e.g. if you’re in the Middle East or Asia don’t order the Australian Beef. What these animals go through on these journeys and then at their arrival countries is horrific.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105February 25, 2021 10:58 PM

I am convinced that German Gay guy has an IQ of about 75.

by Anonymousreply 106February 26, 2021 12:38 AM

If there were any vegans here, you wouldn't need to ask.

We'd all know it because they wouldn't shut up about it.

by Anonymousreply 107February 26, 2021 12:51 AM

R107: I get it in some ways though. e.g. if they’re vegan for the animals and want other people to stop and realise how fucked up our treatment of them is. The smug ‘I’m saving the planet, I’m so healthy, etc’ ones are annoying as hell though.

by Anonymousreply 108February 26, 2021 1:07 AM

R108 Yeah, fuck those guys who are saving the planet, fuck 'em!

(So much more anger and resentment at "social justice warriors" than at those people, institutions, habits and forces that are actually ruining the planet, flattening our experiences, and keeping us living lives of squalid desperation).

by Anonymousreply 109February 26, 2021 1:30 AM

R109: point taken. I’m not actually sure what I meant by the smug planet part given it goes hand in hand with animal welfare anyway (all the land we’re taking from wild animals for farming). A lazy message on my part.

by Anonymousreply 110February 26, 2021 1:41 AM

Meat is extraordinarily unhealthy. Lol at “processed” vegan foods. You have no fucking idea what you are talking about. “Processed” vegan cheeses are made out of nuts, you dipshits.

All of the studies and articles about how unhealthy veganism is are sponsored by the MEAT INDUSTRY.

You Trump voters are so fucking dumb. But you’ll all be dead of cancer and meat induced heart attacks, so byeeeee.

by Anonymousreply 111February 26, 2021 1:51 AM

[quote]Veganism is a starvation diet and either starts out as a mental illness or becomes one. Vegans will swear up and down that it’s the right way to live but at the same time are voluntarily giving themselves anemia, osteoporosis, depression, anxiety, ruined libidos etc.. Our brains are made of cholesterol and fat, you must consume animal fat to maintain and healthy brain and body.

You're spouting absolute bullshit and I say that as a physician. I was a vegetarian for years and then converted to veganism. I'm in my early forties and my labs couldn't be better. I spend hours in the gym every week and am a very muscular guy. I'm 6'2" and weigh just under 200 pounds. When I made the switch to veganism I was concerned about losing muscle mass, but actually ended up putting muscle on. The bottom line is that what you put in your body matters. Yes, you can eat a crappy vegan diet and be in poor health. For Christ's sake, Oreos are vegan. But if you're eating a healthy vegan diet consisting of an abundance of raw foods you'll be healthier than your animal flesh eating counterpart. The literature absolutely, positively supports that statement.

by Anonymousreply 112February 26, 2021 2:10 AM

EXACTLY R112.

by Anonymousreply 113February 26, 2021 2:28 AM

Vegans - lecturing the rest of us on what we should eat since 1944.

I don't have a problem with veganism - eat what you want.

I have a problem with the constant hectoring and superior attitude of vocal vegans. I'm sure there are plenty of vegans who live their lives quietly without feeling the need to lecture the rest of us. But, EVERY vegan I've ever met cannot stop themselves from proselytizing - it's usually the first thing they announce as if that makes them interesting.

by Anonymousreply 114February 26, 2021 4:07 AM

No one cares R113. Blocked. Yaaaawwnnnn

by Anonymousreply 115February 26, 2021 12:12 PM

People acting like you can’t get nutritional deficiencies eating meat or that meat is the only source for magical nutrients. Most and I mean vast majority of people are deficient in zinc, magnesium, and potassium just to name a few minerals.

There are those of us who are vegetarians, vegans, plant-based not for health reasons but ethical and environmental ones. Health is but a nice side-effect. Also, it is true that vegans need to be educated and cognizant of what to eat and supplements if necessary.

I’m now plant-based, can’t call myself a vegan because I do eat bivalves once a week or so. Aged, goat cheese on occasions, not on regular basis; if I buy it then it’ll be in the fridge for months. Vegetarian and vegan diets are what and how you make them to be. You can be unhealthy vegan (my ex SIL is one) by eating Chinese takeout, vegan baked goods, and gluten protein in certain vegan meat substitutes. Or you can eat mostly whole foods.

A lot of it is your thinking. You’re thinking I can’t eat meat or animal products and you believe you’ll miss out on flavorful meat dishes. But look at it this way, the meat dishes are always flavorful because of the seasonings and plant ingredients, not the meat itself. Also, there are way more plant foods than animal products. Change the way you think and feel about food.

by Anonymousreply 116February 26, 2021 6:08 PM

^^^I forgot to add that it’s easier to go vegetarian and vegan if you embrace Asian cuisines. I’ve part Japanese ancestry and did a lot of research prior to becoming vegetarian at age 20. I read about sea vegetables (seaweeds) and high mineral/ vitamin contents including B12. So please do your own research because it will make mindful eating better too, not just contents of diet.

For women who go on and on about needing meat, you do know that vegetarian women can be healthy, right? Fir instance, the late Cloris Leachman was a vegetarian since the 1950s and raised her kids that way. You don’t need that much iron, not as much as you think. It’s actually better to be on the lower end of iron because it’s associated with lower cancer risk and less toxic to blood vessels over time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117February 26, 2021 6:17 PM

[R86] - The disgusting factories were key for me. I work at different food factories. Before I started this job I ate meat, but after you see it - AND SMELL IT - it's too gross. Now when I try to eat meat I gag. John Oliver had a segment last week on how gross meat plants are that focused on worker safety. Employees pissing in the corner etc. They're too busy to wash their hands. Most of the rest of the food industry is *not* like that. I only eat stuff from clean factories and I've managed to survive.

When I lived in Sacramento, Foster Farms was shut down for a roach infestation so bad employees couldn't work. The FDA showed us pictures of a "chicken plant" that was shut down at our next training, although they weren't allowed to identify which plant it was. The roaches were so thick you couldn't see the walls. The mayor gave the Foster Farms a city to the city like a month later. The 2014 Foster Farms shut down is a good place to start reading if you're tempted, but I didn't want to link because the pictures are gruesome. Here's a taste - "The inspection reports include descriptions of mold growth, cockroaches, an instance of pooling caused by a skin-clogged floor drain, fecal matter and 'Unidentified Foreign Material'...on chicken carcasses". Yum.

If you're really committed, drive out to any rendering plant in the summer, and and ask to see their loading dock (call ahead, they won't let you in unless you explain what you're doing and are accompanied by staff). Plan to shower afterwards.

Fluid dairies are also gross; the one I worked at regularly mixed milk with too much blood or pus into the pre-made chocolate milk so you couldn't see any tint difference, and lazy operators occasionally allowed cleaning chemicals from the CIP mix to get in there to up their 1% volume, causing the milk to go off after a few days. The entire shift was prisoners used as part of work release for cheap labor/religion . We also made the milk cartons that go to schools, but the machine was so old it would leave burned on milk chunks in the carton.

by Anonymousreply 118March 1, 2021 12:05 PM

I think to make a vegan diet enjoyable and sustainable, you need to shift your geo-culinary frame of reference away from an American/British diet (although you can certainly make most of their traditional foods with plant-based protein) and towards an Asian one - either South, East, or Near East.

I mostly eat East Asian inspired foods using mostly tofu, falafel, seeds and nuts for protein, cook almost everything in the microwave in fifteen minutes or less, and am pretty satisfied with my diet.

by Anonymousreply 119March 1, 2021 12:14 PM

I’m not a vegan but have come to appreciate those who do. I think most vegans learn about how the supplement their diets so that the old worries about hair and skin and iron aren’t a concern as much anymore. I also think as more and more people become vegan, the hardcore annoying ones become a smaller percentage of them, which can only be good for the movement.

That being said, I saw some video on Instagram where people ranked themselves from totally agree to totally disagree on a bunch of questions about veganism and most people were pretty reasonable but some queer soyboy vegan (that’s his handle) was annoying as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 120March 1, 2021 12:27 PM

I've been ovo-lacto vegetarian for nearly all of my adult life and went vegan about a year ago. I had gradually stopped liking dairy and eggs, but I had also always wanted to go fully vegan for environmentalist reasons.

I would highly recommend this one app called "Is It Vegan?" It allows you to use your smart phone camera to scan UPC codes on products and then tells you whether or not the product is vegan or vegetarian. It's SO helpful. I've added a link to their website to this post.

Having to read through and decipher ingredient lists was a major reason that I stuck with vegetarianism and didn't go fully vegan earlier.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121March 1, 2021 12:59 PM

Yep R119. Asian influence is good and it makes the food delicious.

by Anonymousreply 122March 1, 2021 10:50 PM

R114 -- lecturing the world since 1944, the year he was born.

by Anonymousreply 123March 1, 2021 11:39 PM

[quote]I would highly recommend this one app called "Is It Vegan?" It allows you to use your smart phone camera to scan UPC codes on products and then tells you whether or not the product is vegan or vegetarian. It's SO helpful. I've added a link to their website to this post. Having to read through and decipher ingredient lists was a major reason that I stuck with vegetarianism and didn't go fully vegan earlier.

What in the world are you eating that you have to decipher ingredient lists?

Buy whole natural produce.. Do you really need factories and things in packages to feed you?

If so you are eating poorly.

by Anonymousreply 124March 2, 2021 12:04 AM

[quote]R98 My brother-in-law's mother was a vegetarian. She died at 63. She didn't even outlive my obese mother who is still alive.

That’s because your jealous, conniving mom offed her!

by Anonymousreply 125March 2, 2021 2:36 AM

It is so typical that the non-vegans choose to click on a vegan thread and then lecture us about how loud and obnoxious we are. Like gurl - why are you even here? If you can't stand to hear from vegans - why you clicking this thread and running YOUR mouth?

I'm a vegan who is shy in general and I tend to be very apologetic whenever the subject comes up (usually in the context of dating or ordering food - pre-covid). I was always ready for the other person to go off or get freaked out the second I said I was vegan.

Granted this speaks to my confidence in general, however... sigh.

by Anonymousreply 126March 3, 2021 2:27 PM

This is just in my limited experience, but I've only ever heard vegans say things along the lines of NOT wanting to police others, but just not wanting to eat certain foods themselves. It's often the non-vegans I find more concerned about what others put in their bodies.

by Anonymousreply 127March 3, 2021 6:33 PM

OP, how is the diet going? Are you still on it?

by Anonymousreply 128March 3, 2021 6:49 PM

Yes R125 It's weird that non-vegans come here to shriek at us for always lecturing them when actually they're doing the lecturing by coming here. I know many vegans and few if any of them spend any time lecturing anyone.

Meat eaters tend to be very insecure about their food and seem to need to defend it, whether asked or not.

by Anonymousreply 129March 3, 2021 6:53 PM

There are tons of recipes from Indian, Thai, Chinese and Japanese cuisines that are delicious and still vegan. Look up.you tube or Google!

by Anonymousreply 130March 3, 2021 8:08 PM

It is possible to be what they call “thin on the outside, fat on the inside” or TOFI.

by Anonymousreply 131March 3, 2021 8:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!