Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dog Daughters

Wtf? I love pets but never refer to them as son or daughter

by Anonymousreply 14February 23, 2021 12:59 PM

Mental health issues

by Anonymousreply 1February 23, 2021 5:01 AM

A friend of mine calls her dog her dogter. It's cute imo

by Anonymousreply 2February 23, 2021 5:01 AM

Me neither. But I’m definitely the Daddy.

by Anonymousreply 3February 23, 2021 5:02 AM

R2, how do you pronounce that? It just comes out as doctor. How would anyone even catch on to what she meant?

by Anonymousreply 4February 23, 2021 5:17 AM

I know a single frau who is obsessed with Donny Osmond and has multiple cats. She calls them her "fur kids." One of them is actually named "Muffy," which sounds so cliche.

by Anonymousreply 5February 23, 2021 6:11 AM

R4 Dogter (DAWG-tur) doesn't sound anything like doctor (DOCK-ter). What region are you from?

by Anonymousreply 6February 23, 2021 6:14 AM

Yeah, the whole "furbaby" and calling yourself your pet's mom or dad is just nutty.

I love animals and my pets but....I'm not their parent.

We're buddies and pals and I might "baby" them occasionally but the overboard infantilization of pets is really out of control.

And, don't get me started on the people begging on social media and GoFundMe to raise $10k for experimental operations on 17 year old pets who are slowly dying of something and their deluded "parents" want to prolong the animal's suffering to squeeze 2 more pain filled month's life out of them.

by Anonymousreply 7February 23, 2021 6:44 AM

R6, ‘dogter’ would absolutely sound like ‘doctor’ to most people unless the speaker slowed down enough to emphasize the hard G every time they uttered it.

What region are you from where everyone consistently emphasizes the C in ‘doctor’? To do that, you’d have to pronounce it almost as if it were two separate words: ‘DOCK-turr’. Most people kind of ‘bury’ the hard C sound so that it sounds closer to a G because it’s not usually uttered slooooowly enough to make it NOT sound like a G.

by Anonymousreply 8February 23, 2021 6:56 AM

Okay, I dote on my pets, consider myself a dotty "animal person", as do all of my friends... but NONE of us ever have or ever will use language that implies a parent-child relationship with our pets! The relationship between a human and a pet is very different than that between parent and child, it contains far more pure love and far less dysfunction and disappointment.

I tell my cat "You are my cat and I am your human", but not when other humans can hear.

by Anonymousreply 9February 23, 2021 7:47 AM

Dogter sounds like dog turd.

by Anonymousreply 10February 23, 2021 8:01 AM

For some people, their pet is a substitute child.

In most cases, that’s a good thing. We don’t want more crazy people creating and spoiling actual human beings. I know a few people who are overbearing and hyper-focused on their pets. I feel sorry for the animals, but at the same time I think how much worse it would be for a human to be treated that way. My sister has a little white fluffball and she does this constant push-pull with her. The dog is a neurotic mess. If she’s not right next to my sister, begging for attention, my sister feels rejected and accuses the dog of “sulking” and “playing hard to get” and “being mad at her”. But when the dog is awake and begging for attention, it’s “someone’s clingy today” and “see how annoying she is?” and “this dog can’t let me take two steps away from her without whining”. She absolutely loves the dog, but she’s always AT her.

by Anonymousreply 11February 23, 2021 8:05 AM

My dad definitely loves his dogs more than me. He's "Dad" and my stepmom is "Mum" when they talk to their huskies like children and project onto them human behaviors. And that is fine. I'm just happy they never had actual children.

by Anonymousreply 12February 23, 2021 9:15 AM

My cat gets excited when I ask her “Who’s your Daddy?,” so I indulge her. Besides, I like the Father’s Day cards.

by Anonymousreply 13February 23, 2021 12:54 PM

I get creeped out when people talk about me as my dog's "mom." I'm not a mom.

by Anonymousreply 14February 23, 2021 12:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!