Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Chief of Cherokee Nation wants Jeep to stop using tribe’s name on SUVs

[quote] Chuck Hoskin Jr., principal chief of the Cherokee Nation, wants Jeep to stop using the tribe’s name on its SUVs. [quote] Jeep said it is “committed to a respectful and open dialogue with Cherokee Nation” and Hoskin. [quote] The company has used the Cherokee name for more than 45 years, including for two current SUVs.

But what does DL, think?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134February 24, 2021 4:44 PM

Good.

by Anonymousreply 1February 23, 2021 4:13 AM

This is a pretty clear case of appropriation of the name of a known entity. I don’t think it’s necessarily offensive, but no one should be able to use that moniker for monetary gain except the Cherokee people.

I’m surprised this hasn’t been litigated before.

by Anonymousreply 2February 23, 2021 4:21 AM

If it bothers the Cherokee people then Jeep should stop. Their name and heritage, Jeep can name their cars anything

by Anonymousreply 3February 23, 2021 4:29 AM

Growum thicker redskin Tonto.

by Anonymousreply 4February 23, 2021 4:39 AM

^^ I wondered how long it would take for some asshole to show up. You're right on time

by Anonymousreply 5February 23, 2021 4:41 AM

It's always confused me why so many things are named after a people that the Europeans just wanted to erase. Is it like a trophy: "We own it now"?

So many place names: Titticaca-this and Wikiwachee-that... why didn't they change the names after they slaughtered and imprisoned the natives?

by Anonymousreply 6February 23, 2021 4:46 AM

Oh, GFY!!!

by Anonymousreply 7February 23, 2021 4:54 AM

[quote] I don’t think it’s necessarily offensive, but no one should be able to use that moniker for monetary gain except the Cherokee people.

Yes, just like no one should be able to profit from the sale of French fries except the people of France.

by Anonymousreply 8February 23, 2021 5:04 AM

R8 is right...no more Spanish omelette because it's offensive...and so on and so on. Totally out of control.

by Anonymousreply 9February 23, 2021 5:10 AM

[quote]^^ I wondered how long it would take for some asshole to show up. You're right on time.

Indian time?

by Anonymousreply 10February 23, 2021 5:15 AM

We owe Native Americans everything. How can you repay anyone for stealing and entire country?

by Anonymousreply 11February 23, 2021 5:17 AM

And if Eugene the Jeep sues them they will lose both Cherokee and Jeep.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 23, 2021 5:19 AM

They should call them Jeep Rednecks.

by Anonymousreply 13February 23, 2021 5:22 AM

[quote] But what does DL, think?

nobody gives a flying fuck on what DL thinks...

by Anonymousreply 14February 23, 2021 5:22 AM

[quote] We owe Native Americans everything. How can you repay anyone for stealing and entire country?

With some beads and some trinkets? Isn’t that what they usually accepted as payment for land?

by Anonymousreply 15February 23, 2021 5:24 AM

Uh, morons above, do you think they'd have a problem if there was a car named the Jeep Spaniard? Or the Jeep Mexican? How about a football team called the Washington Homos? The New Orleans Crackers? Yeah, not going to happen. I mean, honestly, I think a lot of this naming was done because these groups were seen as tough and warrior-like. If we want to be thorough, the Minnesota Vikings have to go, too. Personally, I think people should just move on. There are bigger, real fights to fight and this just makes them look petty. I really don't care either way but if this is where they want to put their energy, good luck.

by Anonymousreply 16February 23, 2021 5:29 AM

Jeep Cherokees are lemons. They should just stop making them. Problem solved!

by Anonymousreply 17February 23, 2021 5:52 AM

I want Subaru Forrester to stop using my name.

by Anonymousreply 18February 23, 2021 6:06 AM

R15. It was stolen. We didn't pay for anything. We slaughtered the Native Americans.

by Anonymousreply 19February 23, 2021 6:11 AM

Well, if we're going to track all land grabs through history, humans should all just kill themselves and let the animals have the world back. They were better at taking care of it. Why is it only Americans that have to repay all the historical crap even though the entire history of the world has the exact same history of war, pillaging, and enslavement?

by Anonymousreply 20February 23, 2021 6:17 AM

[quote] We owe Native Americans everything. How can you repay anyone for stealing and entire country?

He comes our resident antisemite.

by Anonymousreply 21February 23, 2021 6:34 AM

We would like the Honda Accord cancelled immediately.

by Anonymousreply 22February 23, 2021 7:01 AM

I would favor changing the name of the GMC Denali to be GMC McKinley, and see if the natives have a problem with that.

by Anonymousreply 23February 23, 2021 7:22 AM

They took the whole Cherokee nation Put us on this reservation Took away our ways of life The tomahawk and the bow and knife Took away our native tongue And taught their English to our young And all the beads we made by hand Are nowadays made in Japan Cherokee people, Cherokee tribe So proud to live, so proud to die

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24February 23, 2021 7:48 AM

[quote]Why is it only Americans that have to repay all the historical crap even though the entire history of the world has the exact same history of war, pillaging, and enslavement?

R20. Who says it's only Americans?

by Anonymousreply 25February 23, 2021 8:06 AM

At issue is that “Jeep Cherokee” has been trademarked by the US government for 45 years. This would open a floodgate of litigation and test the boundaries of common trademark law. My guess is it’ll go the way of the Kleenex, into common public usage- we don’t pay royalties to organizations or municipalities for using terms like “Manhattan Chowder”, or “Chicago style Pizza”. This is of a somewhat similar vein of descriptive usage. The name is used as a tertiary descriptor- merely meant to evoke emotion from a marketing stance, not especially denigrate the tribe or hype a location. If GM was named “Cherokee” it might be different.

People will not confuse a car with a tribe’s intentions or associate confusion between the two. They also never litigated against any other firm over the years so one could argue that they accepted common usage all these years of their tribe name.

and that if the Cherokees had an issue with it they should’ve litigated it half a century ago. Depending on what kind of payoff the tribe is asking for, the car manufacturer may decide to fight it rather than pay.

Also, “Cherokee” isn’t currently used with any other universally recognized brand, business organization or product, so the government may dismiss the charges unless the tribe can prove the use somehow keeps the tribe from making money in business ventures, being confused with GM if they were marketing an electric car, etc.

by Anonymousreply 26February 23, 2021 8:14 AM

R26 here, sadly I think they’ll take the name off the car because they’ll value public opinion over paying off the tribe-

the chief ruined any negotiations by making a public announcement trying to increase the payoff.

by Anonymousreply 27February 23, 2021 8:17 AM

I guess it's a good thing Pontiac is no longer in business! Maybe the Ottawa can sue for retroactive royalties on those hood ornaments.

by Anonymousreply 28February 23, 2021 9:01 AM

@r10, "Indian time? "

No, asshole time

@r13, "They should call them Jeep Rednecks. "

I think the Jeep Hillbilly would be better, because off-road

While we're at it, Ford, we need to talk

by Anonymousreply 29February 23, 2021 9:04 AM

I have relatives by marriage who are Cherokee. One of them is actually a legal representative for the Cherokee nation. While I cannot speak of all members of the nation, going by the ones I do know, this move does not surprise me. They are money hungry, materialistic, fat, lazy, smug, just a touch crazy and expect everything handed to them. The white man stealing the land and murdering native people was evil and wrong to put it simply, but some of native ancestry are so very far from the ways of their people. They sure love the advances living like the white man have brought them (tv, computers, internet, smart phones, free fucking college and healthcare!), not to mention it's all fucking free. Not a damn one of them could live like their ancestors if their life depended on it. They're sitting on their fat asses raking it in while others are starving and homeless. There was an incident last summer in my family caused by their greed and selfishness (and craziness) that made me change my whole opinion of these people. It just makes my blood boil! Maybe it's time for them to get off their asses and earn their living like the rest of us. As another poster mentioned, the animals were actually here first.

I agree with R27. The chief made the announcement to increase payoff. Hell, the fat bitch I know is probably the one who advised him to do it!

by Anonymousreply 30February 23, 2021 9:16 AM

^^ Oh, shut-up! I've never heard such white privledge mansplaining in my life. Next you'll tell us that Blacks were happier as slaves, because your cousin's neighbor said so on Facebook

You suck!

by Anonymousreply 31February 23, 2021 9:30 AM

So take the name off the car. That will change everything and we can all sleep better.

by Anonymousreply 32February 23, 2021 10:15 AM

^^ You'd sleep fine if Mercedes came out with the " S-Classe Reich III"

by Anonymousreply 33February 23, 2021 10:23 AM

The Tesla Model 3 is offensive for using an ARAB numeral!

by Anonymousreply 34February 23, 2021 10:32 AM

The principal chief of the Cherokee Nation is named Chuck though. That's an English name. Just saying.

by Anonymousreply 35February 23, 2021 10:35 AM

I'd suggest the Cherokee Nation ask for 1% of the sales (or some such) to go towards some good Cherokee cause. Win win.

by Anonymousreply 36February 23, 2021 10:38 AM

French fries aren't named after the French people you dingdongs, the name comes from the French or julienne cut of the potatoes.

R30 is just a racist, there's no use talking to him, he's one of the walking talking pieces of feces that shows up on DL in the early morning (U.S.) hours and spouts a bunch of slurs because he's miserable.

The rest of the "hmm well this Cherokee man has an ENGLISH name" geniuses are our usual DL regular racist fucks, here at all hours, and wholly useless human beings.

by Anonymousreply 37February 23, 2021 10:38 AM

Know who are the dumbest, laziest cocksuckers on the planet?

White, straight, Christen men. I know this first hand because half the people I'm related to are them

by Anonymousreply 38February 23, 2021 10:47 AM

^^ *Christian*^^

by Anonymousreply 39February 23, 2021 10:47 AM

This is an easy fix. Revert the styling to a boxier shape and call it the “XJ” the name of the 1997-2001 most popular version. Jeep people already call them XJs and they are legendary. There: Jeep, fixed it for you.

by Anonymousreply 40February 23, 2021 10:52 AM

R37 excellent post.

by Anonymousreply 41February 23, 2021 10:54 AM

What is up with everyone being a victim these days? It’s weird. In reality, we all have been victims of something, as have our ancestors. Wars, pillaging, slavery, rape, genocide. If it’s not an intentional put down/outwardly racist attack then just get over it. We can’t keep cancelling everything and our history. It will be a boring and bland history-less world with us all walking on eggshells . This is getting sad.

by Anonymousreply 42February 23, 2021 10:56 AM

R30 knows a couple people he doesn't like and applies his poor opinion of those individuals to a huge group of people. He's not a generalizing, racist fuck face at all.

by Anonymousreply 43February 23, 2021 11:04 AM

R26 is correct, unfortunately in both posts. The unintended legal consequences could be huge.

by Anonymousreply 44February 23, 2021 11:06 AM

^^At the corporate level there's a difference between Jeep having the legal right to the "Cherokee" name and then there's the optics of being morally right where Jeep rescinds the use of "Cherokee" in the name of good will

by Anonymousreply 45February 23, 2021 11:12 AM

R42. Isn’t it time for your Proud Boys barn dance?

by Anonymousreply 46February 23, 2021 11:14 AM

R30 is the Ku Klux Klan

by Anonymousreply 47February 23, 2021 11:15 AM

Unfortunately, the truth is most likely that the Chief doesn't want Jeep to stop using the name, he wants a 3% licensing fee for every Jeep Cherokee sold.

[quote]then there's the optics of being morally right where Jeep rescinds the use of "Cherokee" in the name of good will

For whom? Do you think the actual Jeep consumer will see it that way, or will they take there money to another car maker.

by Anonymousreply 48February 23, 2021 11:29 AM

^^Yeah, I've owned four Jeep Cherokees in my life and I would see it as positive good will. Look, Jeep was able to get Bruce Springsteen in their corner, they are all about the optics

by Anonymousreply 49February 23, 2021 11:45 AM

Um "OK , Chief"!

by Anonymousreply 50February 23, 2021 11:47 AM

Top story on Today...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51February 23, 2021 11:51 AM

Stupid shit.

by Anonymousreply 52February 23, 2021 12:39 PM

I don't have an opinion either way but I am curious why they don't also mention the entire brand of clothing labeled Cherokee

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53February 23, 2021 12:43 PM

^^ "Cherokee was sold at Tesco in the United Kingdom until 2015"- Wikipedia

You'll have to take that up with the Brits

by Anonymousreply 54February 23, 2021 12:57 PM

They're not going to give the Chief a nickel when all they have to do is change the name. Call it Jeep XL or whatever the hell it used to be called.

Between this and the Bachelor controversy I'm EXHAUSTED.

by Anonymousreply 55February 23, 2021 1:00 PM

^^ r54,Correction: Cherokee is owned by:

APEX Global Brands 5990 Sepulveda Boulevard, Suite 600 Sherman Oaks, CA 91411

by Anonymousreply 56February 23, 2021 1:02 PM

death by 1000 cuts. Just ban ALL Indian names at once and watch the chaos ensue

by Anonymousreply 57February 23, 2021 1:07 PM

What are DL member doing with their vinyl copies of Cherokeely Swings by Keely Smith?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58February 23, 2021 1:43 PM

In their own language they don’t call themselves Cherokee. I could see maybe objecting to this word if that was what they called themselves. This is a non starter for me.

by Anonymousreply 59February 23, 2021 1:47 PM

What was really offensive was a clothing brand sold at Canadian discount store called zellers was called Cherokee. Who wants their name tied to that?

by Anonymousreply 60February 23, 2021 1:48 PM

And we want THIS to stop appropriating our name!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61February 23, 2021 1:52 PM

I would tell the 'First Peoples' to go fuck themselves. I'd take the name off the car and then hopefully we wouldn't have to be reminded of them ever again.

by Anonymousreply 62February 23, 2021 1:59 PM

Indiana, you in danger gurl.

by Anonymousreply 63February 23, 2021 3:26 PM

R29 is "it who speak with BIG stick up ass."

by Anonymousreply 64February 23, 2021 3:29 PM

For God's sake, can't we fucking let go of these twisted 19th century tropes that treat native Americans like animals?

by Anonymousreply 65February 23, 2021 3:31 PM

Bye Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 66February 23, 2021 6:54 PM

^^ Why?

"The name "Chicago" is derived from a French rendering of the indigenous Miami-Illinois word shikaakwa for a wild relative of the onion"

by Anonymousreply 67February 23, 2021 7:12 PM

by Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, the Dakotas. Indiana, Ohio, Utah, Wyoming and god knows what else.

by Anonymousreply 68February 23, 2021 7:15 PM

Jeep is owned by FIAT. The Italians won't give a shit about this.

by Anonymousreply 69February 23, 2021 7:24 PM

^^ Not exactly...

"Stellantis N.V. is a multinational automotive manufacturer with its headquarters in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, which was formed by the merger of Groupe PSA and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles on the basis of a 50-50 cross-border merger agreement. The group has a wide portfolio of automotive brands: Abarth, Alfa Romeo, Chrysler, Citroën, Dodge, DS Automobiles, Fiat, Fiat Professional, Jeep, Lancia, Maserati, Opel, Peugeot, Ram Trucks and Vauxhall Motors. The name Stellantis is exclusively used to identify the corporate entity, while group brand names and logos remain unchanged." - Wikipedia

by Anonymousreply 70February 23, 2021 8:08 PM

@r64, was that a nerve?

by Anonymousreply 71February 23, 2021 8:12 PM

R71 The biggest shareholders of Stellantis are the Agnelli family.

by Anonymousreply 72February 23, 2021 8:23 PM

^Meant R70

by Anonymousreply 73February 23, 2021 8:24 PM

Red Man Tobacco, you in danger gurl.

by Anonymousreply 74February 23, 2021 8:38 PM

R8 and R9 are just dumb as the day is long

by Anonymousreply 75February 23, 2021 8:40 PM

are big chief tablets still made?

by Anonymousreply 76February 23, 2021 8:40 PM

[quote]And we want THIS to stop appropriating our name!

Oh please, in their own language they don't even call it Ireland.

by Anonymousreply 77February 23, 2021 8:48 PM

What, now Italian restaurants will have to get permission to use the name?

by Anonymousreply 78February 23, 2021 8:53 PM

It’s a shitty SUV, that’s the most offensive thing about it!

by Anonymousreply 79February 23, 2021 8:54 PM

They should change the name to Churrokey.

by Anonymousreply 80February 24, 2021 12:26 AM

[quote] by Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, the Dakotas. Indiana, Ohio, Utah, Wyoming and god knows what else.

Delaware

by Anonymousreply 81February 24, 2021 12:28 AM

Didn't read passed R3 but one of you DLers on the Daily Fail said "just offer them unlimited booze & they'll soon forget about it". Gave me a good laugh

Here's the thing though. ...you guys know I'm Métis (mi'kmaq/Inuit partially) but otherwise a blondish French-Canadian Québecer from way "up there". I believe Chief Chuck here needs to stand down & retire.

Geronimo would think he is so damned petty. Like a frau.

You know, there's so many other things this guy should be engaging in. How about warming tricks for the good people of Texas. Survival tips.

How about you Indian Chiefs hold a smudging ceremony around our flag to beat out covid? How about you DO SOMETHING that's gonna get us outta this Covid nightmare? How to build a sweat lodge. How to consider some herbs indigenous to the North/South American continents?

Worried about a fucking vehicle product. Pshaw. That's an honor! That's ALL of American's heritage. We wouldn't be who we are today on this continent w/o that admixture. We're warriors compared to the rest of the planet. Alcoholism & smallpox were an issue NOT the name of a vehicle! Get your priorities straight. Throw yourself behind legalizing weed, dude. Olympic athletes. Anything.

A Polish washer woman of old laughs at you.

Bury that petty SJW hatchet, mon bitch

by Anonymousreply 82February 24, 2021 1:35 AM

As you know on the Reddit r/datalounge, discussed a future vision. All the way to the right of the screen. Probably around 2030? We glide into parking spot at a home in Cypress California

So these hybrid plane/car vehicles. You know they're coming. No one but no one is gonna give a fuck if Mercedes names their line as the Mercedes Metizmo or Mercedes Métis

Not a soul

by Anonymousreply 83February 24, 2021 1:45 AM

Jesus fucking Christ.

Is that all he's worried about? How about his people living below the poverty line and all the attendant ills of a subjugated indigenous population?

Someone should do the Cherokee Nation a favor and run him the fuck over with a Cherokee, and perhaps reverse for good measure.

by Anonymousreply 84February 24, 2021 1:46 AM

R84, sounds just like my response to my mom

"If anyone is following you & they get out of that car & approach you, lock your doors & lean on that horn "

They get out of that car Mom, I'm running them down. Forward, reverse, forward, reverse until they're road pizza

Shocked. She just stared at me. Then she asked where I learned such a thing.

Remember those summers where you'd have me camped for 2 weeks in Queens, NY in highest humidity w/my SICILIAN aunt?

That's where I learned it

Capisce?

by Anonymousreply 85February 24, 2021 1:57 AM

R85 We gotta meet!

by Anonymousreply 86February 24, 2021 2:03 AM

I like Nuck.

IDGAF.

by Anonymousreply 87February 24, 2021 2:08 AM

R86, we did meet. In late summer 2007. But then you went and fakukared? it all the fuck up

I'll see you in court

by Anonymousreply 88February 24, 2021 2:12 AM

I know you'll LOVE this re: that 80s drug ad playing in NY tri-state

I LEARNED IT BY WATCHING YOU!

God/Universe speed your healing. Make me proud

by Anonymousreply 89February 24, 2021 2:15 AM

[quote]Here's the thing though. ...you guys know I'm Métis (mi'kmaq/Inuit partially) but otherwise a blondish French-Canadian Québecer

LOL

by Anonymousreply 90February 24, 2021 2:49 AM

No comment. Just don't litter or else I'll start crying.

Forget Hilaria Baldwin and Rachel Dolezal. I was the OG when it came to faking and ethnicity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91February 24, 2021 3:00 AM

[quote] no one should be able to use that moniker for monetary gain except the Cherokee people

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92February 24, 2021 3:23 AM

Really, can someone who thinks this has legs and that Jeep should stop using the name explain why you don't also think all the states that use tribe's names should change their names?

by Anonymousreply 93February 24, 2021 3:39 AM

R90 you ain't no Canadian. You're from a broken Canarsie home half under swamp water

You don't belong here. Remember, even though YOU thought YOU were bringing me to the San Gennaro fest, it was actually I who brought you there

Seriously thought about taking on that clown in the dunk pool..but w/truthism..would have gotten us both followed & killed

You're such a pussy so knew not standing chance

Not a pussy at home, though. Just a useless pussy in public

Can't wait to see where this investigation opened on you leads, pussy boy

Scarf & doorknob b/Frenchie comes a knockin'

by Anonymousreply 94February 24, 2021 3:40 AM

The all new 2022 Jeep Cherokey. Done.

by Anonymousreply 95February 24, 2021 3:40 AM

Maybe Europe could reunite and add the word jeep?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96February 24, 2021 3:40 AM

Your grandmother was a Hungarian gypsy..so come on

by Anonymousreply 97February 24, 2021 3:43 AM

They’re stupid and could have used this to their advantage. They could have said that if they wanted to use their name they could at least give them some free vehicles.

by Anonymousreply 98February 24, 2021 3:45 AM

And then there's Cherokee, Iowa...

by Anonymousreply 99February 24, 2021 3:50 AM

Authorities..so arrogant. "We're gonna get him". In which I reply "you ain't ever gonna get him w/o outside help"

He's la creme de la creme working just south of midtown Manhattan. No Yahoo manager of IT at some Best Buy. Haha!

I've always had standards

by Anonymousreply 100February 24, 2021 3:54 AM

R96, get an identity. I am the RESCUE CHICK

YOU'RE the Neglected Child Troll we discuss on r/datalounge as BESSERGEBOREN

by Anonymousreply 101February 24, 2021 3:58 AM

@my R100, say it a la Crawford.

Stay safe, hon

Don't freak if I'm outside your door smudging w/sage & feathers

Come on Universe!

by Anonymousreply 102February 24, 2021 4:02 AM

[quote]you ain't no Canadian.

Oh, fuck off AIKC.

by Anonymousreply 103February 24, 2021 4:02 AM

No way is Jeep ever going to give up the Cherokee name. It's a billion dollar brand.

And Jeep is ready to roll out their new completely redesigned Grand Cherokee. Their most expensive product.

The most that will happen is that Jeep will pay them off somehow, but they're not going to give up that name.

by Anonymousreply 104February 24, 2021 4:06 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105February 24, 2021 4:06 AM

Wait..anonymous from Kansas city? My datalounge heritage goes back to Predictions 2015. I'm bessergeboran on r/datalounge

Remember, you tried to shut me down

I told everyone, we're coming for the cops a year ago. All of my predictions came through including this virus

I told you I was a genius but you come from such cheap familial lines..you couldn't see it

Ronnie should have killed you, predator. Sexual pest

by Anonymousreply 106February 24, 2021 4:08 AM

Also: Jeep legally hold the rights to the name for vehicles, so there's little the Cherokee Nation can do about it.

by Anonymousreply 107February 24, 2021 4:11 AM

@r93, Yeah, I could explain it to you, but you're that same jerk from Twitter who always asks stupid questions like, "What did Trump do that's illegal?" and "Can you prove the Capitol rioters were Trump supporters?" You don't want answers, you just want to play games with your lame, bullshit questions

Fuck-off

by Anonymousreply 108February 24, 2021 4:24 AM

R30, replace the word Cherokee with Black and look how racist you sound.

" They sure love the advances living like the white man have brought them (tv, computers, internet, smart phones,...."

"Maybe it's time for them to get off their asses and earn their living like the rest of us. "

by Anonymousreply 109February 24, 2021 4:26 AM

[quote]Forget Hilaria Baldwin and Rachel Dolezal. I was the OG when it came to faking and ethnicity.

Well he brought respect of Native Americans to the screen as more than stereotype natives out to kill, and Native Americans actually honored him for that as well as marrying one and father to "half breeds" So, it they are cool with it, so am I. No one has honored Rachel Dolezal.

by Anonymousreply 110February 24, 2021 4:32 AM

I find it odd the same people that would be up in arms about the Aunt Jemima and Mrs. Butterworth's are suddenly OK with the same kind of cultural appropriation of Native Americans.

by Anonymousreply 111February 24, 2021 4:35 AM

How about changing it to the Caucasian Wagon or Red Neck Ranger?

by Anonymousreply 112February 24, 2021 4:41 AM

i think the Cherokee nation should do what a lot of black organizations do and get Jeep to write a fat, painful check each year to be put towards healthcare and education for their people. Reservations are so disgustingly poor. Its a level of poverty that most of us have no concept of.....Jeep would probably rather give low tens of millions each year than change the brand name.

by Anonymousreply 113February 24, 2021 4:44 AM

I hope Cherokee nation takes this company over.

by Anonymousreply 114February 24, 2021 4:45 AM

Most people don't realize most Native American tribes are poor. They see Indian Casinos and think they all must be rich but that's not the case. They don't share the profits across tribes anymore than your rich neighbor shares all his wealth with all his neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 115February 24, 2021 4:55 AM

I'm not sure this one will stick. I keep hearing that people are getting tired of victim and cancel culture. But I have no real data to back that up.

by Anonymousreply 116February 24, 2021 5:06 AM

We need Billy Jack, he would kick Jeep's ass for doing this to his people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117February 24, 2021 5:18 AM

The Cherokee were slave owners. Who cares what they think.

During the antebellum period, the Cherokee and other Southeast Native American nations known as the Five Civilized Tribes held African-American slaves as workers and property.

After the American Civil War, the Cherokee Freedmen were emancipated and allowed to become citizens of the Cherokee Nation in accordance with a reconstruction treaty made with the United States in 1866. In the early 1980s, the Cherokee Nation administration amended citizenship rules to require direct descent from an ancestor listed on the "Cherokee By Blood" section of the Dawes Rolls. The change stripped descendants of the Cherokee Freedmen of citizenship and voting rights unless they satisfied this new criterion.

On March 7, 2006, the Cherokee Supreme Court ruled that the membership change was unconstitutional and that the Freedmen descendants were entitled to enroll in the Cherokee Nation. A special election, held on March 3, 2007, resulted in passage of a constitutional amendment that excluded the Cherokee Freedmen descendants from membership unless they satisfied the "Cherokee by blood" requirement

by Anonymousreply 118February 24, 2021 5:55 AM

Everyone took slaves back then R118, Native Americans were used as slaves as well. Basically who ever won the batter took the other side as slaves. Native Americans didn't capture and ship them from Africa like the white man you nitwit.

by Anonymousreply 119February 24, 2021 6:50 AM

Blacks owned slaves back then too. "Justus Angel and Mistress L. Horry, of Colleton District, South Carolina, who each owned 84 slaves in 1830. In fact, in 1830 a fourth of the free Negro slave masters in South Carolina owned 10 or more slaves; eight owning 30 or more (2)."

by Anonymousreply 120February 24, 2021 6:54 AM

Why would Jeep give millions to Cherokee nation when dropping the name costs zero. Maybe some donations for scholarships, etc but otherwise just drop the name.

by Anonymousreply 121February 24, 2021 7:01 AM

[quote]Native Americans didn't capture and ship them from Africa like the white man you nitwit.

Only because they didn't have the technology to do so. All people of all nations were as horrible to all other people of other nations as their technological advancement would allow throughout the entirety of history.

And, to the person who asked above why Chicago would be a problem since it's from some other languages translation of a native american word? Cherokee is an English translation, too. The Cherokee don't call themselves Cherokee in their own language. They are getting mad over a nickname that isn't even culturally relevant to them.

by Anonymousreply 122February 24, 2021 7:07 AM

Dropping a name dose not cost zero. You basically have to rebrand which mean millions of dollars in ads, video and products have to change. It costs a lot of money to reprint, redesign and reproduce all those things. It's not cheap, but it's not going to break the bank either, they should either pay them some large lump sum or change the brand.

by Anonymousreply 123February 24, 2021 7:08 AM

[quote]R122 Only because they didn't have the technology to do so.

Ok the resident Native American Hate Troll is back. So you are Nostradamus now? You could reach into the minds of people and predict what they would have done if...? Really. The fact is they didn't do it so stop projecting and making up whataboutis of history, you sound like a typical Trumpeter.

by Anonymousreply 124February 24, 2021 7:12 AM

R124, they held slaves once they were here. Do you think the immorality of that would have ended if they'd had to bring them in on ships themselves if they had the ships to do it? Then you are just denying the entirety of human history from all over the world. Every society that could get and keep slaves, did so. The Native Americans enslaved each other, dumbass. The saintliness of the Native American is as racist as the magic negro crap. You're the fucking racist because you believe that Native Americans were somehow above the rest of humanity and pretend to speak in their defense with no knowledge of what you are talking about. Just shows me you know absolute shit not only about Native Americans but about humans in general.

by Anonymousreply 125February 24, 2021 7:21 AM

Jeep could set up a Cherokee Foundation where a certain percent of profits go to help the Cherokee people. Lots of good will and positive PR

by Anonymousreply 126February 24, 2021 9:22 AM

[quote] Dropping a name dose not cost zero.

WTF is wrong with you? I mean, seriously?

by Anonymousreply 127February 24, 2021 10:57 AM

Fine, from now on we will only name things and places after white people. Happy now?

This is how overprivileged whites such as Tony Danza and Jennifer Aniston don't get canceled like they deserve for their lack of talent.

by Anonymousreply 128February 24, 2021 12:21 PM

Are we even still allowed to call him Tony Danza?

That’s an awfully ethnic name.

by Anonymousreply 129February 24, 2021 12:40 PM

I'd be flattered to have a rugged, popular car named after me. It's not like it's a Paddy Wagon.

by Anonymousreply 130February 24, 2021 1:31 PM

R82 I would have NO problem getting into a Sweat Lodge with some HAWT SWEATY CHEROKEES!

by Anonymousreply 131February 24, 2021 1:45 PM

Who buys Jeeps anymore? Just shut the whole thing down. Fiat Chrysler is such a loser.

by Anonymousreply 132February 24, 2021 2:01 PM

^^ Jeep sells Jeeps as fast as they can make them. They are literally a cash cow for their parent company

by Anonymousreply 133February 24, 2021 4:10 PM

[quote]Why would Jeep give millions to Cherokee nation when dropping the name costs zero.

Costs zero? Are you really that stupid?

by Anonymousreply 134February 24, 2021 4:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!