Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hairspray Cancelled-literally

My best friend was set to direct her HS’s production of Hairspray, outdoors and socially distant at her heavily multiracial and I must say heavily talented school.

Someone wrote a letter to her Principal that the show deals with racial topics that the students are not equipped for. Basically saying not enough poc’s to round out the cast (she had 30 poc audition).

So they cancelled the spring musical.

The girl who wrote the letter, btw, didn’t get a callback for Motormouth before she wrote the letter.

I’m really sad because I think that Hairspray is the perfect piece of art to enlighten young people about our nation’s troubled history.

by Anonymousreply 23February 27, 2021 5:34 PM

Link? (Linc?)

by Anonymousreply 1February 22, 2021 9:36 PM

I hope they don’t cancel Pink Flamingos 🦩

by Anonymousreply 2February 22, 2021 9:39 PM

I hope this is an EST, because 10/10.

1984 was not an instruction manual.

by Anonymousreply 3February 22, 2021 9:49 PM

Your best friend is in high school?

by Anonymousreply 4February 22, 2021 9:52 PM

And then Cathy is Home Ec said that Angie wasn't into Brenden, and everyone was like, and I was like, Brenden with 2 Es or Brendan with an AE?

by Anonymousreply 5February 22, 2021 9:56 PM

Was the person who wrote the letter Penny Pingleton's mother?

by Anonymousreply 6February 22, 2021 9:57 PM

No, r4, she’s a teacher. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 7February 22, 2021 10:11 PM

High School Musical persons not cast are ALMOST as bad as Community Theatre persons not cast......

by Anonymousreply 8February 22, 2021 10:12 PM

f8 it's true. A friend didn't get cast as the sexy ingenue in a play but instead was cast as the butch in a high school play and she was bitter the whole time and her performance sucked.

If this is true which I doubt somewhat, then the complainant obviously hasn't seen either film or the Broadway show. Ruth Brown as Motormouth Maybelle had a big impact in the original film and Motormouth Maybe and Little Inez an even bigger one in the 2007 film. The Broadway production/2007 adaptation actually changed the outcome of the contest.

by Anonymousreply 9February 22, 2021 10:19 PM

Did she try explaining that they can't stop the beat?

by Anonymousreply 10February 22, 2021 10:23 PM

Won’t somebody please think of the children!

by Anonymousreply 11February 22, 2021 10:28 PM

R9, did your friend want to play Maria, or at least Anita, but was cast as Anybodys instead? That's what happened to my friend in high school.

by Anonymousreply 12February 22, 2021 10:31 PM

Hairspray has been canceled for years. It's all about Gorilla Glue these days.

by Anonymousreply 13February 22, 2021 10:32 PM

Let me know when they schedule Desperate Living.

by Anonymousreply 14February 22, 2021 10:53 PM

I like to go to high school musicals and see all the snarky nuns who really wanted to play Maria Von Trapp.

by Anonymousreply 15February 23, 2021 3:14 PM

"Sister Margeretta, the meer please."

by Anonymousreply 16February 23, 2021 3:15 PM

I'm sure the girl who wrote the letter will be dealt with appropriately by the disappointed students who were going to be in the show.

by Anonymousreply 17February 23, 2021 3:19 PM

R17, Someone needs to teach that little bitch a lesson.

by Anonymousreply 18February 23, 2021 3:24 PM

Here we go...Can't post a link for some reason but it made the news:

School District of Lancaster’s superintendent has canceled the spring high school musical after a group of students who auditioned expressed concern over the play’s derogatory language in describing Black and Hispanic people and people with disabilities.

Superintendent Damaris Rau said she made the decision to cancel McCaskey Campus’ rendition of “Hairspray,” based on the 1988 film and subsequent hit musical of the same name. While the overall theme is about inclusion, Rau said, the musical uses inappropriate language that isn’t fit for students, especially now.

“This is not the appropriate time to put on a musical like this,” Rau said, referring to the racial strife over the summer as well as the mental health impact the coronavirus pandemic has had on children.

“Kids are too raw” right now, she said.

Based in 1960s Baltimore, the story of “Hairspray” revolves around teenager Tracy Turnblad, whose dream to dance on a local television program is realized when she wins a role on the show. She turns into a celebrity overnight and, with her newfound influence, successfully leads a campaign to allow Black dancers to perform regularly on the show.

When a group of McCaskey students wrote an email to the principal describing their concerns, the email was forwarded to Rau. That sparked the superintendent to look up and read the original musical script herself.

The school district declined to share a copy of the email because it was a private correspondence between students and administration.

Rau then made the call to cancel the show and advised the musical directors to consider other opportunities.

“Everyone was a little bit surprised that I was involved,” Rau said. A few students and parents emailed her, she said, but the pushback stopped after she explained her reasoning.

In an email, music teacher and director Lakisha Welch told LNP | LancasterOnline she had “nothing to say” about the situation.

It’s unclear whether McCaskey will put on a different musical this spring.

by Anonymousreply 19February 27, 2021 2:41 PM

I cancelled the musical because I just didn't want to deal with the people who would disapprove. I have to save my job, you know. Who cares about themes or educational opportunities - it's the words that are triggering. I think we should do something less racial; how about South Pacific? It's racist? That doesn't matter, since it's toward Asians, who deserve it because they started Covid. Besides, they won't object, since they are all out studying math, playing violin, or trying to see through their coke bottle glasses.

by Anonymousreply 20February 27, 2021 4:06 PM

She's from New York. Figures.

A native of New York, a self-proclaimed book nerd and former clarinet player, Dr. Damaris Rau is the first female Latino superintendent of the School District of Lancaster (SDoL). A challenging role, as she acknowledges, Rau is winning over the support and admiration of the community.

by Anonymousreply 21February 27, 2021 4:08 PM

Pathetic. The only reason a production of the show shouldn't be produced is if they didn't have enough black students to play the roles required by the script. The show is smart, funny, has a great score, and we could use its messaging now more than ever. Shame on those who found it inappropriate.

by Anonymousreply 22February 27, 2021 4:55 PM

[quote]Your best friend is in high school?

Would that be wrong?

by Anonymousreply 23February 27, 2021 5:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!