Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Favorite African American Actors

There are a lot out there who don't get the same level of attention as Denzel or Michael B. Jordan.

I think Andre Holland from "Moonlight" and "The Knick" is really good.

by Anonymousreply 3202/22/2021

Why it gotta be black?

by Anonymousreply 102/22/2021

Can we do left-handed European actresses next?

by Anonymousreply 202/22/2021

Aunjanue Ellis Jharrel Jerome Kelvin Harrison, Jr. Ashton Sanders Renee Elise Goldsberry Lorraine Toussaint Regina Hall Alfre Woodard Jonathan Majors

Just to name a few.

by Anonymousreply 302/22/2021

Lynn Whitfield

Jeffrey Wright

Idris Elba (African-British)*

Thandie Newton (African-British)

Hill Harper

Mahershala Ali

Ruth Negga (African-Irish)

Angela Bassett

Regina King

...(among many others)

* this is why I prefer the descriptor "Black" instead of the inaccurate hyphenate "African-American"

by Anonymousreply 402/22/2021

Morgan Freeman!

by Anonymousreply 502/22/2021

I really like this beautiful young singer/actress. She was excellent in "Honey Boy". Do you guys love her too?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 602/22/2021

So glad The Knick is now on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 702/22/2021

The Knick makes me want to have wild, cocaine-fueled sex.

by Anonymousreply 802/22/2021

John David Washington

by Anonymousreply 902/22/2021

I'm gonna go with Lark Voorhies

by Anonymousreply 1002/22/2021

R2 ooh, my sistren! I shall start—Garbo.

by Anonymousreply 1102/22/2021

Gary Carr

Gbenga Akinnagbe

Regina King

by Anonymousreply 1202/22/2021

I had to look up his name, Jason Mitchell, but I really liked him in Mudbound.

by Anonymousreply 1302/22/2021

I'll stick to actors who are still alive.

Anthony Mackie, Regina King, Octavia Spencer, Terry Crews, Alfre Woodard, Pam Grier, Laurence Fishburne, Wesley Snipes, Angela Basset, Regina Hall, Loretta Devine, Taraji P. Henson

by Anonymousreply 1402/22/2021

and Mahershala Ali

by Anonymousreply 1502/22/2021

Ha, first thoughts were Denzel and Michael B.

Regina King, Sope Dirisu, Viola Davis, Mahershala Ali

by Anonymousreply 1602/22/2021

Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman, Angela Bassett...used to love Viola Davis but not so much recently. The new generations like Michael B. Jordan, heard their names a lot, but I have not watched their works, not just them, I am way behind the current movies or tv shows.

by Anonymousreply 1702/22/2021

There are so many black actors I like. Freeman, Washington, Whitaker, and Dennis Haysbert come to mind. I think Haysbert is absolutely underrated his Allstate commercials are such a waste of his talent.

On the female side, I love Angela Bassett, Thandie Newton, Viola Davis, and Lupita Nyong’o.

by Anonymousreply 1802/22/2021

Tony Todd, Ken Foree, Geretta Geretta, T'nia Miller, Kandyse McClure, Duane Jones, William Marshall, Marlene Clark, Judy Pace, Marsha Hunt, Maidie Norman, Octavia Spencer

by Anonymousreply 1902/22/2021

Michael K. Williams, Viola Davis, Delroy Lindo, Denzel Washington, Laurence Fishburne, Paul Winfield, Harold Perrineau, Alfre Woodard, Angela Bassett, Yaphet Kotto, Morgan Freeman, Sidney Poitier, Forrest Whitaker and James Earl Jones.

But I had to choose the most underrated; I go with Delroy Lindo. Absolutely spellbinding as a haunted Vietnam vet in Spike Lee's most recent joint, Dat 5 Bloods.

by Anonymousreply 2002/22/2021

Rachel Dolezal acted black, but that's not quite the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 2102/22/2021

Charlize Theron

by Anonymousreply 2202/22/2021

In my opinion, Mahershala Ali is the most talented.

by Anonymousreply 2302/22/2021

Chris Chalk in the recent Perry Mason series. He was excellent.

by Anonymousreply 2402/22/2021

Robert Christopher Riley

by Anonymousreply 2502/22/2021

Vintage: Theresa Harris, Fredi Washington, James Edwards, Frank Silvera.

They were great, but didn't get enough meaningful work.

by Anonymousreply 2602/22/2021

Acting: Chiwetel Ejiofor, Idris Elba, Djimon Hounsou

Looks: Boris Kodjo, Shemar Moore, Jesse Williams, honorable mention - Rege-Jean Page

by Anonymousreply 2702/22/2021

Rami Malek

by Anonymousreply 2802/22/2021

Harold Perrineau, one of the best things about both OZ and LOST, as well as ROMEO + JULIET. Weird he doesn’t work more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2902/22/2021

Got to see Andre Holland play Othello at the London Globe, with Mark Rylance as Iago.

A

MAZ

ING.

(Desdemona was a bit bland, which was problematic. Still. They were great.)

by Anonymousreply 3002/22/2021

I recently did a rewatch of The Knick about a month or two ago. That was the first time I ever watched Andre Holland in something and have been a huge fan of his ever since. Gosh, he was just so great in that. His scenes with Clive Owen were electric. Colman Domingo was also in that show in a small role, and he is tremendous. Enjoyed him so much in the first season of Fear the Walking Dead until I realized the show was crap.

There are too many favorites to name, and many of them mentioned here. I've also been a longtime fan of Anthony Mackie, ever since seeing him in Half Nelson. But there is one recent actor who really drew my eye in The Deuce - Gbenga Akinnagbe. He's fantastic and I hope he has a bigger career. He's going to be in the second season of Modern Love for Amazon. Wonder if he will be in the filmed episode of Andrew Rannell's NYT essay.

Also adore Thandie Newton. She's always fabulous. Another actress I think is wonderful is Gugu Mbatha-Raw. She never gives a bad performance, no matter the material she's given. Angela Basset, Alfre Woodard, all day every day.

Another vote for Chris Chalk in Perry Mason. He's an actor who really holds your attention. I couldn't take my eyes off of him.

by Anonymousreply 3102/22/2021

that was the first time I *had* ever watched him ^^^ Miss that show. Wonder what a third season might have looked like.

by Anonymousreply 3202/22/2021
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!