Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Breakfast in other countries

I like seeing videos of what other people in different countries eat for breakfast. I don't know that I could do a traditional Mongolian breakfast though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70March 5, 2021 5:46 AM

A lactose intolerant person would apparently starve there.

by Anonymousreply 1February 22, 2021 6:32 PM

In Ireland, they serve blood pudding (didn't eat it), tomatoes, baked beans, and Guinness.

by Anonymousreply 2February 22, 2021 6:37 PM

It looks like milk on top of milk

by Anonymousreply 3February 22, 2021 6:39 PM

In Ireland like Britain most people eat a bowl of cereal or a slice of toast for breakfast. The big breakfasts happen perhaps at the weekend and then not every weekend or if you are on holiday. Not everyone would eat them even then.

by Anonymousreply 4February 22, 2021 6:46 PM

Do people still eat porridge for breakfast, R4?

by Anonymousreply 5February 22, 2021 6:48 PM

My mother does, r5. Yes, I should have included porridge but I was basically saying that most people have very simple breakfasts.

by Anonymousreply 6February 22, 2021 6:54 PM

What does breakfast mean?

by Anonymousreply 7February 22, 2021 6:57 PM

Breakfast around the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 22, 2021 7:05 PM

French breaksfast is the best: coffee and a croissant

by Anonymousreply 9February 22, 2021 7:18 PM

Oh and a cigarette

by Anonymousreply 10February 22, 2021 7:18 PM

What is a Canadian breakfast?

by Anonymousreply 11February 22, 2021 7:45 PM

I'm in love with R9 R10

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 22, 2021 7:51 PM

I’m American through and through, but sometimes I like a bowl of miso soup for breakfast. I get these little packets of paste to add to hot water. It’s good if you’re a little hung over.

by Anonymousreply 13February 22, 2021 8:03 PM

Canadian breakfast looks like American breakfast really.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14February 22, 2021 8:52 PM

The only meal my Arab dad ever cooked for us kids and that was at best 3 or 4 times a year. But I’ve been making it regularly for friends and family, it’s delicious

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 22, 2021 9:49 PM

In Chile, the hotel breakfast buffets would always include sandwich fixings, and sliced of cake.

I make sandwiches for breakfast when it's too hot to cook, and why not?

by Anonymousreply 16February 22, 2021 11:18 PM

R1 We only have those people here in the US.....they are intolerant to all foods

by Anonymousreply 17February 22, 2021 11:27 PM

R15, that looks very appetizing.

by Anonymousreply 18February 23, 2021 1:06 AM

I've only been to England and France outside of the US, and the simple breakfasts in Paris still are one of my favorite parts of the trip. I fell in love with clotted cream in England, but I never had a full breakfast, sadly.

by Anonymousreply 19February 23, 2021 1:21 AM

R17, no. A lot of Asians are lactose intolerant

by Anonymousreply 20February 23, 2021 1:25 AM

I think a lot of Brits eat baked beans with breakfast. Does anyone verify this?

by Anonymousreply 21February 23, 2021 1:27 AM

In Turkey we were served cheese, cucumbers and tomatoes by our b & b and it was perfect - light and refreshing in the heat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 23, 2021 1:29 AM

A can of La Choy would be so much easier and save on dish washing.

by Anonymousreply 23February 23, 2021 1:30 AM

Dog food makes a lovely start to the day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24February 23, 2021 1:33 AM

Pinoy breakfast: tocino, fried egg, garlic fried rice

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25February 23, 2021 2:32 AM

Kippers (smoked Herring) are still a thing in the UK.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 23, 2021 2:44 AM

OP’s image looks like it includes a side dish of Alien.

by Anonymousreply 27February 23, 2021 2:56 AM

Dominican breakfast isn’t much to look at, but it really hits the spot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28February 23, 2021 3:03 AM

The best breakfast away from the USA was in Tokyo. A cafe a few blocks from our B& B served a bowl of sticky rice topped with a Salisbury steak with cheddar cheese and a fried egg with miso soup on the side. We ate there four times. One of the most satisfying meals I’ve ever eaten.

by Anonymousreply 29February 23, 2021 3:09 AM

What a sweet Mongolian family. I bet they're way happier than than the avg Wall St. billionaire.

by Anonymousreply 30February 23, 2021 3:10 AM

-than*

by Anonymousreply 31February 23, 2021 3:11 AM

The Turkish breakfast looks delicious. I'd LOVE to try shakshuka. The Mongolian food was different shades of white and about the only thing i'd want to try is the fried bread; however the kids were as cute as buttons. Yes, i've stayed in Paris and absolutely a croissant and coffee is not a bad way to start the day. I have to say the full English breakfast minus the blood sausage is my definite favorite...i'm more a savory breakfast person then pancakes/sweet stuff for breakfast. No cold cereal in my cupboard, but my parents were hippies and we grew up on whole/unprocessed foods. Crap like that was not allowed in our house.

by Anonymousreply 32February 23, 2021 3:12 AM

A typical English fry-up

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33February 23, 2021 5:36 AM

What in the world are they eating?

by Anonymousreply 34February 23, 2021 4:45 PM

I love Turkish and Middle Eastern breakfasts. So fresh. I went through a long phase of eating sliced cucumber, sliced tomatoes, toast and cottage cheese or yogurt every day during a hot summer.

by Anonymousreply 35February 23, 2021 5:57 PM

How I hated this when it came out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36February 23, 2021 6:01 PM

OP - I always thought an internationally themed breakfast restaurant would be fun. It seems that outside of the biggest metropolitan areas, in the US, very few "ethnic" restaurants serve breakfast. When I was in DC I had breakfast at this odd little Indian cafe. The husband was South Indian and his wife was Parsi (like Freddie Mercury) and they served a mix of South Indian food and the rarer, hard to find, Parsi cuisine. They were also open for breakfast. I had this WONDERFUL, incredibly flavorful Parsi scrambled egg dish called akoori.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37February 23, 2021 6:08 PM

Desayuno Andaluz

Mollete, a soft light bread, lightly toasted, rubbed top, bottom, and sides with a garlic clove, topped with the best olive oil, crushed fresh tomato, more olive oil, then paper thin slices of jamón serrano, or, better yet, jamón ibérico de bellota.

Served with coffee and orange juice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38February 23, 2021 6:21 PM

Please. Desayuno Andaluz is a sucking off a couple of hot garbagemen in a Torremolinos alleyway.

by Anonymousreply 39February 23, 2021 6:24 PM

I was in Israel in 2007 and the hotel served SALAD as part of breakfast.

by Anonymousreply 40February 23, 2021 6:33 PM

I eat a bowl of cut up orange, thawed frozen strawberries, and hunks of cantaloupe. It’s surprisingly filling.

by Anonymousreply 41February 23, 2021 6:54 PM

[quote]R30 What a sweet Mongolian family. I bet they're way happier than the avg Wall St. billionaire.

The little girls are so cute. I hope they have happy lives.

by Anonymousreply 42February 23, 2021 6:56 PM

Here's Clarissa Dickson Wright's episode on Breakfast. The Two Fat Ladies made a version of R15 's dish on an episode called "Food in the Wild".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43February 23, 2021 7:30 PM

OP, thanks, that was interesting. I'm guessing these people are nomads since they're in a yurt?

by Anonymousreply 44February 23, 2021 8:59 PM

I stayed with a family in rural Austria once and they ate ham and cheese sandwiches for breakfast. I didn't really mind, but they always left the windows open and in August there were tons of flies, including on the food.

by Anonymousreply 45February 23, 2021 9:04 PM

Breakfast food in general is one of my favorite meals (which is odd as I don't eat breakfast ie, in the morning). I would LOVE a restaurant with breakfasts from around the world.

by Anonymousreply 46February 23, 2021 9:17 PM

Is this really a typical Australian breakfast?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47February 23, 2021 10:14 PM

I spent a summer in Turkey in the late 1980s, and fell in love with the breakfasts: Fresh cucumbers, tomatoes, feta cheese, honey, bread, almonds and tea/coffee.

There is a Honduran restaurant not far from me, and I have their desanyuno at least once a month (scrambled eggs and chourizo, fried plantains, cheese, beans, tortillas, and crema).

by Anonymousreply 48February 23, 2021 10:31 PM

Israel makes a bigger deal of breakfast than any country I've ever traveled to.

It's combination of what Americans know as traditional Eastern European Jewish food (lox, herring, sable and other smoked fish) and Middle Eastern-- hummus, shakshouka,cheeses, pita, bourekas, Israeli salad (cucumbers and tomatoes with scallions), olives, babaganoush, etc., with some Russian thrown in: caviar and blinis

Originated in the early kibbutzim where people were going to go out and work on the farm all day.

It's generally served buffet style and hotels in Tel Aviv compete to provide the most lavish breakfast spreads.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49February 23, 2021 10:41 PM

I love having pho for breakfast in Vietnam

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50February 23, 2021 10:46 PM

The Mongolian breakfast has too many hands on it.

by Anonymousreply 51February 23, 2021 10:47 PM

St. Louis' Washington Avenue Stroll "Whore's Breakfast" (Same as a whore's breakfast anywhere else):

Paper cup of coffee in one hand, doughnut worn like a ring and lit cigarette held between first two fingers.

Sip. Puff. Bite. Repeat.

It's been a long night and Youngblood will be driving up for the payload any minute.

by Anonymousreply 52February 23, 2021 10:47 PM

r49, that sounds amazing. minus fish (not a fan).

r51 and not enough color to it.

by Anonymousreply 53February 24, 2021 3:18 AM

That breakfast looks great R49.

by Anonymousreply 54February 25, 2021 2:40 AM

This:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55February 25, 2021 3:01 AM

So that's what Genghis Khan ate for breakfast?

by Anonymousreply 56February 25, 2021 6:09 PM

R49 ‘Traditional Israeli’. Lol, don’t make us laugh. That is typical Mediterranean food that Israelis claim is theres.

by Anonymousreply 57February 25, 2021 6:48 PM

Breakfast in Italy is eaten standing up.

by Anonymousreply 58February 25, 2021 6:53 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59February 25, 2021 6:55 PM

Rice.

by Anonymousreply 60February 25, 2021 7:11 PM

I love congee.

by Anonymousreply 61February 26, 2021 9:44 AM

R5 Yes. I have porridge for my breakfast on a Sunday morning in winter.

R21 Yes. I have baked beans with my full English breakfast on a Saturday morning.

R26 Yes. I had kippers for tea though last night at 6pm. If you stay at a hotel in Scotland you'll probably be offered them for breakfast.

R58 With lots of cake and coffee!

by Anonymousreply 62February 26, 2021 10:08 AM

But do they eat breakfast in bed?

by Anonymousreply 63February 27, 2021 5:53 PM

No love for huevos rancheros?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64March 5, 2021 2:17 AM

[quote]What is a Canadian breakfast?

Identical to American breakfast.

by Anonymousreply 65March 5, 2021 2:51 AM

r65 except for the pea meal bacon. Damn i miss that.

by Anonymousreply 66March 5, 2021 2:58 AM

Oh God, the hotels in the Netherlands had the most lavish spreads ever! Eggs, meats, odd tiny pancakes, yogurt, museli and other cereals, breads, cured fish, pastry, all of it fantastic! More fruit compotes than fresh fruit, as it was February, so I'd start most breakfasts with yogurt topped with fruit compote and museli, and go on from there. And yes, I'm told that's a really common breakfast for Dutch people, yogurt with museli or fruit.

I don't know why the food in the Netherlands gets a bad rap, everything I had there was excellent. Except the white asparagus, which they were so proud of, but which was always overcooked.

by Anonymousreply 67March 5, 2021 3:03 AM

When I was last in Mexico, the hotel offered American breakfasts which were fine, and Mexican dishes like huevos rancheros and this odd stacked tortilla cake something like this. My boyfriend said that the tortilla cake was delicious, but the hotel made such excellent sangria that I was never very adventurous at breakfast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68March 5, 2021 3:07 AM

r68 kind of looks like "mexican pizza"

by Anonymousreply 69March 5, 2021 3:14 AM

Offerings at lowish-end hotels where I've stayed:

France: Baguette, butter, and jam with strong coffee and hot milk. Two Marlboro Menthols (brought them from home).

Amsterdam: cheap cold cuts, cheese, bread, coffee. I skipped the cold cuts of meat. I just couldn't.

Hungary: Pastries, pickled vegetables (surprisingly good!), eggs scrambled with onions and paprika.

Costa Rica: Rice and beans, fried plantain, scrambled eggs, coffee with sugar.

Osaka: Rice triangles wrapped in seaweed; hard boiled egg; miso soup, and strong green tea. Sometimes pieces of cold fish would appear in the breakfast room. (There were packets of Nescafe instant coffee and hot water for foreigners which I used) It grew on me. I was there for two weeks and had to have this for another two weeks at home to break the habit. I am craving sticky rice with seaweed and miso soup as I type.

Greece: Bread, cheese, plain, full-fat yogurt (Greek style, of course!) with honey, strong coffee.

Aus/NZ: Toast with packets of peanut butter or vegemite, tea.

Boston: (I consider this to be a foreign destination but my bf lives there). A "regular" = bad coffee+cream+sugar and a bag of donut holes from your nearest Dunk's, which is never more than 20 feet away.

by Anonymousreply 70March 5, 2021 5:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!