Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are Accent Walls Dated?

I have one in the kitchen. A misty, very lite grey accent wall that looks like a bitch to repaint.

by Anonymousreply 24February 23, 2021 5:36 AM

Are they "sponge-painted," OP?

by Anonymousreply 1February 22, 2021 5:03 PM

No, they're not dated unless the style they were painted in was dated, as R1 illustrates.

by Anonymousreply 2February 22, 2021 5:06 PM

What does an accent wall accent, actually? I have two friends who have moved a bit, always creating an "accent wall," but it's always some shade of beige, and doesn't really accent anything. Or go with anything.

by Anonymousreply 3February 22, 2021 5:09 PM

IMO, they're dated. The color can be dated, the sponge application is definitely dated. IMO, textured walls are dated as well. It can look very, very frau-esque.

At the same time, I think they can be nice. You have to pick the right color.

OP, sounds like you don't like that accent wall. No rule that says you have to keep it as an accent wall. That's the great thing about paint. Just paint over it. Make it the same color as the other walls, if you like.

by Anonymousreply 4February 22, 2021 5:13 PM

Especially when you call them accent walls.

by Anonymousreply 5February 22, 2021 5:15 PM

I got gayer just reading that.

by Anonymousreply 6February 22, 2021 5:31 PM

Tangerine!

by Anonymousreply 7February 22, 2021 5:34 PM

What about wallpapered accent walls...

by Anonymousreply 8February 22, 2021 6:00 PM

I'm going to do that in my mid century trailer R8 in Palm Springs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 22, 2021 6:05 PM

My sugar walls have Slovenia accent

by Anonymousreply 10February 22, 2021 6:05 PM

Very nice R9...

by Anonymousreply 11February 22, 2021 6:10 PM

Thank you. Not sponge. The whole house is WHITE WHITE WHITE. I think the previous owner did the accent wall for the home sale. I’m going to leave it because of the difficulty of the painting around the cabinets, pulling out the frig etc. thanks again.

by Anonymousreply 12February 22, 2021 6:33 PM

[quote]IMO, they're dated. The color can be dated, the sponge application is definitely dated. IMO, textured walls are dated as well. It can look very, very frau-esque.....At the same time, I think they can be nice. You have to pick the right color.

So accent walls are fine, as long as they aren't painted in a dated style or color.

Got it.

by Anonymousreply 13February 22, 2021 6:37 PM

I want everyone to wallpaper, but the medium doesn’t work well in kitchen environments. I’m sick of subway tile - vertical or horizontal.

Have you considered looking at bead board in different colors? Or, perhaps a floor laminate? It comes off as shiplap if you do it wrong.

by Anonymousreply 14February 22, 2021 6:44 PM

Fun wallpaper at R9, but accenting is about all you could take of it; a whole room would be very busy and a bit OTT. When it gets tired, removing only one wall will be a whole lot easier, too.

by Anonymousreply 15February 22, 2021 6:48 PM

I'm not a fan of them. But if you like it, keep it.

by Anonymousreply 16February 22, 2021 6:51 PM

I think painted accent walls can look dull and dated.

I'd do wallpaper, or tile, or some kind of different *texture* to it, which is as important as the color, in my eyes.

by Anonymousreply 17February 22, 2021 6:52 PM

[quote] So accent walls are fine, as long as they aren't painted in a dated style or color.

Yes, that's what I meant to say.

by Anonymousreply 18February 22, 2021 6:52 PM

Accent walls are supposed to catch your eye. It's a gimmick for people who have no skill in interior design or any taste in good art.

by Anonymousreply 19February 22, 2021 6:54 PM

You will have to use Killz on it first with the gray. If it’s not offensive, I’d leave well enough alone.

by Anonymousreply 20February 22, 2021 6:59 PM

This thread is useless without pics. Post the hideous or the sublime.

by Anonymousreply 21February 22, 2021 7:56 PM

IMO, this is a nice accent wall in a dining room.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 22, 2021 8:08 PM

Here's the link to the entire article.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 22, 2021 8:09 PM

Thank you r22 r23 I see darker accent walls makes them recede a bit. Nice.

by Anonymousreply 24February 23, 2021 5:36 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!