Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eldergays, tell me about Donald from That Girl.

I’ve always found him attractive in a dorky kind of way. Was he considered a catch when That Girl was on?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25February 23, 2021 11:20 AM

Oh the burnt oranges, harvest golds and hunter greens that man wore, I assume he’s the one who inspired home interiors in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 1February 22, 2021 4:40 PM

I’m watching That Girl right now on Antenna TV. He deserved much better than Marlo.

by Anonymousreply 2February 22, 2021 4:44 PM

I always thought it was hilarious that they pretended that she wasn't all over that cock.

by Anonymousreply 3February 22, 2021 4:57 PM

Ted was one of the kindest men who ever lived.

by Anonymousreply 4February 22, 2021 5:03 PM

He was considered very attractive in an Ivy League way.

by Anonymousreply 5February 22, 2021 5:18 PM

My first crush. Handsome and slightly goofy. Same him on broadway back in the 70s and he was just as cute in person.

by Anonymousreply 6February 22, 2021 5:26 PM

Ted Bessell was very fuckable in a straight laced, adorkable kind of way while on "That Girl". I was born well after the show aired but, when I saw it decades later, I developed a lowkey crush on Ted.

by Anonymousreply 7February 22, 2021 5:36 PM

Every time I watched that show I thought they were brother and sister. Their relationship seemed so sexless.

by Anonymousreply 8February 22, 2021 6:10 PM

"OH, ZDONALD!"

by Anonymousreply 9February 22, 2021 6:12 PM

He was cute as MTM's boyfriend in a few episodes.

by Anonymousreply 10February 22, 2021 7:16 PM

If you watch ever so closely, you can see that Donald and Ann's father are hot for each other and probably having sex on the side.

by Anonymousreply 11February 22, 2021 9:07 PM

I hated everything about him on MTM, R10. Hideous, with a ridiculous toupee. Mary deserved better than that, especially since he was two-timing her.

by Anonymousreply 12February 22, 2021 9:16 PM

No one his age wore hair that short during that time.

by Anonymousreply 13February 22, 2021 9:22 PM

Guys wore their hair that short. I knew guys who would ask barbers to style their hair just like Donald's.

by Anonymousreply 14February 22, 2021 9:33 PM

As a gayling I never felt any sort of attraction or crush on Donald. He struck me as an asexual nerdy type - probably just right for Marlo.

by Anonymousreply 15February 22, 2021 9:38 PM

[quote]No one his age wore hair that short during that time.

Men who worked in offices did. Look at the majority of male hairstyles on Mad Men. All very cleancut and short. It wasn't until the 1970s that men got away with longer hair.

by Anonymousreply 16February 22, 2021 10:02 PM

I recently read a bio about him, and he was in two failed tv series before That Girl. One of them was "It's a Man's World." In the other one he was the father of a chimpanzee.

by Anonymousreply 17February 22, 2021 10:58 PM

His O face as he gets off!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18February 23, 2021 12:48 AM

At the age of seven, I wanted to see him naked. I don't know if I was more infatuated with cock or bush, but I wanted to see both.

by Anonymousreply 19February 23, 2021 2:57 AM

R17: get your glasses checked. He appeared in "Me and the Chimp" after "That Girl". "It's a Man's World" was about 5 years before and a much better show than "That Girl".

by Anonymousreply 20February 23, 2021 3:08 AM

I watched the show when it was a network staple and thought he was very handsome. But I was too young at the time to understand what drew me to him.

by Anonymousreply 21February 23, 2021 4:06 AM

He also was on "Gomer Pyle" on a number of episodes as one of marines and he's in "Captain Newman, MD" in the mental ward, starring Gregory Peck as the eponymous doctor and Bobby Darin in an amazing Oscar-nominated performance.

by Anonymousreply 22February 23, 2021 4:10 AM

He was never considered anything special at the time, no. Ironically he seems more appealing now than he did then.

by Anonymousreply 23February 23, 2021 9:58 AM

For a 1970's or 1960's guy Ted Bessell was handsome enough, yes that includes his short hair cut.

No he wasn't some sort of Adonis that stopped traffic, but just an attractive (in his sort of way) steady sort of decent guy any girl (or gay guy) of the time would be happy to have.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24February 23, 2021 11:17 AM

OTOH have always felt Marlo Thomas was lucky to nab Donald. More so that he remained with her crazy behind and constantly putting off getting married.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25February 23, 2021 11:20 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!